Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2022 4:10 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Thread made in advance to reduce the competition for the first post and reduce spoilers.
The thread will be unlocked at around 00:43 JST This thread is now unlocked

Due to the extreme popularity of the show and the fact that for the previous season (and this season), many of the episodes had really early episode threads opened by various users, the episode threads for this show will only be made by mods until further notice.

Concerning spoilers: Please do not confirm a theory someone has or give hints about something that happens later on. Not everyone wants their theories confirmed or denied. If you want to do so, add a spoiler to your post and I mean the entire part where you confirm or deny a theory. If you bring arguments from past episodes, you don't have to add spoiler tags. Continuously spoiling future events in an anime can be seen as trolling and can result in a warning or a ban.

A reminder of some rules:
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • If you absolutely need to make a reference to the LN, manga, WN or something that might happen in future episodes, use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

• Do not only post something like "good episode". Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.
  • Refrain from multi-posting consecutively. Use the edit button if necessary.
  • Do not resort to abuse or trolling.

You can find the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules here.
anime-primeMar 6, 2022 7:43 AM
Mar 6, 2022 7:44 AM

May 2020
What a simple dream our man Jean had, will root from all of my heart it comes true someday. Yep… but first someone needs to put a stop to this evil entity who goes by the name of Eren Yeager. And I can assure you our Justice league will do everything in their power to do so.

But hey gotta fill the stomachs first, so why not have a stew over a campfire in the name of this newly made alliance. Also best friends don’t keep secrets between them, so props to Reiner though.

One of the most influential episodes in the franchise, 5/5.

Nov 2011
Oh man, that campfire scene did not disappoint. All the human emotions just poured out from Jeanne, the bits of Annie/Mikasa drama, etc. I've been waiting for this chapter to be adapted in a long time.

Jeanne's emotions were especially evident after learning the truth about Marco. Damn.

Props to the VA for bringing that scene to the TV screen.

Jun 2019
Man... what a well-directed episode. Loved every second of it. Probably one of the best in my book. Everything was just perfect in this episode. From voice acting to animation. Perfect. Also, Jean's anger was so well done. Reiner got f*cked hard. Felt bad for Falco and Gabi. Great job by the staff. Jean's dream was cute imo.

Looking forward to the next episode. Floch is ready and so am I. LOL. 10/10 episode.

Jan 2009
crumbling crumbling its coming crumbling crumbling

as the ending haters will say and sing

but anyway this episode is good in direction and storyboard

no OP huh

thats right Isayama said it himself the dead scouts like Erwin will never say "as long as the island have freedom then that is all that matters"

degMar 6, 2022 5:55 PM

Jul 2021
This episode is definitely a heavy-dialogue one but gotta admit, Jean is totally the MVP of this episode (props to the VA btw)

Who is Jean daydreaming?

Anyways gotta appreciate that Jean really protects Eren like a champ and I'm neutral about this debate, ain't gonna argue anymore when Hange was saying bs and not giving a single fuck about the Paradis future, but somehow when understanding both sides gave me an insight to why Eren will took a right direction and on the other hand thinking killing millions of innocents is a logical way to end it, thus this is why I love AOT in it's aspect!

Moreover, I do like the dynamic between the Eldians and Marleyans during the camping scene that was pretty clear about the hardship from their respective perspective which made this particular scene very impactful and essential to look forward to in the latter episode.

Annie and Mikasa arguing was better than any of their scenes together and OH YEAH JEAN IS THE GOAT HERE ONCE MORE, that kick, I REPEAT, THAT KICK WAS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL AND THE THEME IN THIS EPISODE PERFECTLY LINKED TO MARCO'S LAST WORDS, REINER DESERVED THAT >:DDDDDDDDD. Definitely love this episode, one of my anticipated scene from this 2nd cour though wish they actually angle the facial expression when whoever is talking instead of showing a scenery and such, but what was that cliffhanger, Floch seems to worsen the situation 0_0
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Feb 2021
Another banger episode! Well, now there are like 3 eps left. I'm positive that we are gonna get a movie.

Oh man, that Hange scene was fucking sad. I miss Erwin and Marco :(

We almost got a Mikasa Vs Annie lol.

Jean learns the truth about Marco :(

Gabi spoke some facts. She has truly redeemed herself in my eyes.

Looks like now it's the Alliance vs the Yaegerists. Man the atmosphere in this episode was really heavy and depressing tbh.
DeonXMar 6, 2022 7:47 AM

Jun 2014
There was noticeably many still shots in this episode but it was mostly talking so I guess that makes sense.

Lol Yelena was coming for everyone's necks this week. The campfire scene was tense as hell, the VAs did a great job creating that type of atmosphere.

And at the end, it looks like the Yeagerists were ahead of the curve and are messing up the plans to stop Eren.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 6, 2022 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, the direction and storyboarding this episode was so disappointing. Closest thing to a script read I've watched in some time. The only notable positive for me this episode is the soundtrack and voice acting, the rest is so forgettable.

Yeah showing the general scenery can set the mood, but spending most of the episode showing slideshows of trees or the character who's being spoken to in a still frame isn't engrossing whatsoever. The only scene that I somewhat enjoyed was the one of Jean beating up Reiner, yet even that scene was poorly storyboarded.

I really thought MAPPA would elevate the alliance discussion and moment of bonding overnight, but it's as rushed and as inefficient as the manga. I'd hope for more since they spent the whole episode on this specific moment.
Mar 6, 2022 7:50 AM
Jan 2021
One of best AoT episode ever.10/10
Great execution
Mar 6, 2022 7:51 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty good and emotional episode.
Mar 6, 2022 7:52 AM

Sep 2020
CQLLIST said:

Who is Jean daydreaming?

I think it's Mikasa or may be Pieck 🌝 !!!
Mar 6, 2022 7:54 AM
May 2016
The imagery of this episode was phenomenal. I'm sure people are going to meme about the trees but the visual use of representing Reiner's conflict through the branches after Braus' talks about the cycle of violence being akin to getting lost in a forest. It's fucking fantastic visual storytelling, same with the use of the open sky above the circle of trees when Marco's words are recounted. The use of silence to let some of the more powerful dialogue really sit as well as the great accompanying OST and, as always, great voice acting did justice to the chapter and then some. This chapter was fantastic in the manga but I think the anime's highlighted in full why this is one of the most important chapters in the entire story superbly, hopefully just like with last week now most people will realise their complaints were better off being settled until this week's episode.
ModernoirMar 6, 2022 8:42 AM
Mar 6, 2022 7:55 AM
Jan 2021
KneelBeforeMe said:
Wow, the direction and storyboarding this episode was so disappointing. Closest thing to a script read I've watched in some time. The only notable positive for me this episode is the soundtrack and voice acting, the rest is so forgettable.

Yeah showing the general scenery can set the mood, but spending most of the episode showing slideshows of trees or the character who's being spoken to in a still frame isn't engrossing whatsoever. The only scene that I somewhat enjoyed was the one of Jean beating up Reiner, yet even that scene was poorly storyboarded.

I really thought MAPPA would elevate the alliance discussion and moment of bonding overnight, but it's as rushed and as inefficient as the manga. I'd hope for more since they spent the whole episode on this specific moment.

What were you expecting lmao? Sakugas of people talking? All they were doing was sitting down. You can't add shit
Mar 6, 2022 7:56 AM

Jul 2020
Okay, who the fuck was the director? Because that was terrible directing. There is more landscape paintings than portraits and lots of still shots and too many cuts. What was the director going for, lmao?
Mar 6, 2022 8:03 AM

Apr 2013
imbAF said:
KneelBeforeMe said:

What were you expecting lmao? Sakugas of people talking? All they were doing was sitting down. You can't add shit
Great analysis of what I said, thank you for your contribution.
Mar 6, 2022 8:07 AM
Apr 2019
imbAF said:
KneelBeforeMe said:

mfs were expecting akira levels of sakuga in this episode despite the staff and ep staff being mediocre at best
Mar 6, 2022 8:07 AM
Jan 2021
KneelBeforeMe said:
imbAF said:

Great analysis of what I said, thank you for your contribution.

If they wouldn't show 10 different shots of the enviroment, they'd had to show 10 different times the same faces. Idk wtf you are trying to say. But the episode was directed as expected, minimum animation for a chapter that has people sitting around a campfire. But I guess, you can complain. For me, the real thing is the next episode and the one after it. If they have invested more time to those episodes, it makes sense for this to have had minimum animation. But you can cry on the meantime.
Mar 6, 2022 8:12 AM

Oct 2021
Poor direction, some pathetic use of camera angles and constant zooming with continous frames of trees and branches
I wasn't impressed by last episode atleast it was fine but this episode is mid asf.

3/5
Mar 6, 2022 8:42 AM
May 2016
Always thought this chapter, much like the last one, was misunderstood. People like to summarise it as "Yelena owns the CRINGEVENGERS!!!" but, while they were all deservedly called out, the bigger message was that they were all able to leave the forest even though they couldn't entirely forgive eachother. They're the ones who chose to leave the forest behind, the ones to work together in the world's darkest hour to oppose Eren, they didn't give in to Yelena's callings of cynicism. What if Eren wins? The Yeagerists are a fanatical fascist cult that treat those that oppose them as below them, living up entirely to the monsters the rest of the world saw them as for Eldia's previous history of global subjugation. Even if Eren wins Eldia will destroy itself with in-fighting just like in the Great Titan War but possibly for good because their only opponents will be eachother. There's not a single thing cringe about the Alliance and I hope with this adaptation more people will realise what the message of this story has always been. Fantastic work to the directors and staff behind this episode.
Mar 6, 2022 8:42 AM

Oct 2020
The episode was good barring the fact they avoided showing characters. If it's production issues, it shows. If it's an artistic choice I'm not sure they did what they intended. Will have to rewatch with subs.
Mar 6, 2022 8:46 AM

Jan 2009
damn the episode direction is hated on here i thought it was very good, its definitely artistic choice and pushing the limits of limited animation that is anime since ye its crunch time now in the production side of things anyway
Mar 6, 2022 8:48 AM
May 2016
deg said:
damn the episode direction is hated on here i thought it was very good, its definitely artistic choice and pushing the limits of limited animation that is anime since ye its crunch time now in the production side of things anyway

I think people are being far too harsh, which makes sense, the subs aren't even out yet lmao. Wait till the ep drops with subs, the cuts weren't "random", its the same director behind Sole Salvation. Its an artistic choice, the imagery was timed to go with the dialogue. Might not be to everyone's tastes but I doubt it's a budget constraint considering how every shot built up towards the shot of the group united around the campfire.
Mar 6, 2022 8:53 AM

Jan 2009
Modernoir said:
deg said:

I think people are being far too harsh, which makes sense, the subs aren't even out yet lmao. Wait till the ep drops with subs, the cuts weren't "random", its the same director behind Sole Salvation. Its an artistic choice, the imagery was timed to go with the dialogue. Might not be to everyone's tastes but I doubt it's a budget constraint considering how every shot built up towards the shot of the group united around the campfire.

subs will not help in improving more the visual directing scenes but ye this is artistic choice first imo

and its not budget im talking about its the production schedule getting more tight usually in any anime as the second half of the show kicks in

Mar 6, 2022 8:55 AM
Oct 2016
NewYearSameMe said:
Okay, who the fuck was the director? Because that was terrible directing. There is more landscape paintings than portraits and lots of still shots and too many cuts. What was the director going for, lmao?
The Director of Sole Salvation and Sunset. One of the best director from MAPPA's side but the downgrade is real. Probably the production committee fell off for this episode.
Trax3xMar 6, 2022 9:06 AM
Mar 6, 2022 9:05 AM

Feb 2019
The worst episode yet. Jesus christ. Was there a single shot that wasn't a still?

And the music was horrendously timed and edited here. Also, all the background sounds like the stew boiling and the insects were annoyingly loud, and seemed to vary in volume almost randomly. Whoever did the sounds for this episode clearly didn't care that much and just wanted to throw something together quickly.
Unusual_KmcMar 13, 2022 7:14 AM
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 6, 2022 9:16 AM
Jan 2021
deg said:
yeah.. I've seen people talking about many still shots as if WIT studio didn't have an abundance of that
Mar 6, 2022 9:20 AM
Feb 2022
Wtf with this episode. ANOTHER BANGER. I keep adding more and more episodes to my top with this season. 12/10
Mar 6, 2022 9:20 AM

May 2021
Hange: Jean, what about seconds? Lol.

This was a solid episode even if it had one too many stills. Managed to be intense nonetheless.

Loved the campfire scene and its intensity. The way I see it, last ep, in the pie scene, they avoided talking about the hostilities between them. However now that they finally talked this through, Jean has gotten over his hatred. I wish Levi did more tho.

Finally, the ending at the Yeagerists; makes me excited for the next episode.
RioFSMar 6, 2022 1:43 PM

Mar 6, 2022 9:24 AM
Jun 2016
KneelBeforeMe said:

Exactly, Hayashi's direction have been subpar. But the fandom keeps sucking his dick anyway. I get that we shouldn't harras him, but he clear isn't suitable for AOT, not in the slightest.
Mar 6, 2022 9:38 AM
Jun 2021
What an episode ,the direction was the best in this episode including the voice acting ,its another 10/10 episodes
Mar 6, 2022 9:45 AM

Jan 2009
Watchanime324 said:
It is fine if you disliked it but Showing those braches and background was a directional or artistic choice rather than a production meltdown, the Cds and backgrounds were mostly consistent which wouldn't be the case if the production really fell apart.

to be fair the episode has less frames because its mostly talking so ye less frames means more consistency of on model drawings
Mar 6, 2022 10:11 AM
Jul 2020
yo i cried when they told jean about marco death. and its very satisfying to see jean beating reiner LMAO LOVE IT GO JEAN!!! and i think i like gabi a bit now bc she already realised what they did. and yeah floch at the end, hate him since s3. i hate him not bc what he did, i hate him bc he is annoying.
winshenvMar 6, 2022 10:14 AM
Mar 6, 2022 10:27 AM

Jul 2017
imbAF said:
KneelBeforeMe said:

You didn't even understand what he meant. Even a generic conversation can be shot more excitingly than shot-reverse-shots. Go watch a random conversation between two characters in any Hitchcock movie and you'll understand.
Mar 6, 2022 10:29 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Wtf...Jean's vision of his wife looks like Mikasa... the mark...
Please tell me they aren't shipping these two together on purpose. D:<

To sum up, this is basically another slow pace episode like the previous 2 eps...and now we got 3 eps left.
Next episode title: More side chara story
Fuwa_sanMar 6, 2022 10:48 AM
Mar 6, 2022 10:34 AM

Jul 2021
Still images were cheap animation production or artistic choice? Why not both? We don't need 60 fps for talking and soup.

I'm satisfied with it. I liked Jean's little dream, Annie and Mikasa's tension, Reiner coming clean. Gabi's move was true to brand at this point. I'm feeling Jean too - he got his hits in but knew when to stop and move on.
Mar 6, 2022 10:38 AM

Feb 2021
This episode felt short and long at the same time.
Short, because it was basically a call-back to everything happened in the series that was masked from one of the sides but the viewers know about them all, which was a nice touch!
Long, from the overextended still shots we got this whole episode. It's not necessarily bad but it feels odd (especially at the beginning of the episode, with Jean's face constantly being on the screen almost the entirety of Mikasa, Jean and Hange's conversation)

I love how this episode turned out though; both Paradis and Marley talked their past and said what they have to say while eating stew made by Hange lol. It's interesting. The flow wasn't perturbed a lot and the OST was sad and calming at the same time.

Looks like next episode is also gonna be a little bit slow I think. Of course Floch took over the harbour where the Azubamito is -_- :P

Waiting for the next weeks left for AoT S4P2...
Mar 6, 2022 10:44 AM

Jul 2011
If someone got a knife just by swing it, would cut the tension in the air of that campfire sharing session.

I maybe reading too much into it, but that mean Yelena character is a criticism of a woke white girl? Pieck statement felt like it. Just saying.
Mar 6, 2022 10:46 AM

Mar 2016
I don't know why I enjoyed this episode so much. Nice to see the old gang just sitting by the fire surrounded by some beautiful scenery.
Mar 6, 2022 10:53 AM

Apr 2014
This is my favorite episode. Talking things out seems so tense and can be very violent. Actually it can get violent. Anyone has or must've gone through a certain debate or argument through talking. How it went and portrayed was freaking nice.
Mar 6, 2022 10:55 AM
Jul 2021
Garbage episode again
This was even more boring than last episode
Mappa with it's lackluster adaptation again.

I am glad WIT studio is not adapting this garbage and focusing other good source materials and anime originals.
Mar 6, 2022 11:01 AM
Mar 2015
After airing their grievances former enemies go off to save the world
Mar 6, 2022 11:02 AM

Aug 2017
"Genocide is a mistake", "Genocide is wrong"

FUCK YOU, I hope Eren WINS or I'll rage.
NurguburuMar 6, 2022 11:06 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 6, 2022 11:05 AM

Sep 2020
Ngl Every AOT episode feel like 5 mins 😭Anyway this episode as usual was great !!! The voice acting in this episode was superb 😍 especially Jean VA did a very good job. Next episode gonna be epic!!! Can't wait 😁
Mar 6, 2022 11:05 AM

Feb 2022
xkazutox said:
Wtf...Jean's vision of his wife looks like Mikasa... the mark...
Please tell me they aren't shipping these two together on purpose. D:<

everyone know that jean has crush on mikasa since season 1 so seeing his crush as futre wife is not a bad thing....
and in one scene of this episode jean said to Hange that "Eren has 4 more years to live" (due to Ymir's curse) and this is true... so after 4 years there will be no competion for Mikasa...that is why jean mikasa ship is inevitable....
GreyratAnimelistMar 6, 2022 11:10 AM

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
||Profile||----------------||Anime||----------------||Manga||
Mar 6, 2022 11:07 AM

Jun 2021
Another great episode! I liked how everyone got over their past grudges against each other :D It's pretty surprising that we haven't seen Eren yet, this really makes him sound/look like a villain :o
Mar 6, 2022 11:07 AM

May 2020
Jean is so GOATED... 10/10. never thought i'll like Gabi one day but here i am.
Mar 6, 2022 11:08 AM
Sep 2020
Finally a goddamn great episode ,after 2 average episodes pride, sunset where only floch was the best character ,this episode was peak and probably top 3 of this so far, and one of the best episode of the rumbling arc so far behind thaw, this episode is officially the best episode for the entire cast present, not one single dull moment
I am still iffy about the overall pacing and feel but I m satisfied with the character interactions
10/10
Mack_YeagerMar 6, 2022 11:23 PM
Mar 6, 2022 11:11 AM

Oct 2020
After watching the ep with subs, the majority of my problems focusing on background shots are mended. It seems more like an artistic choice now than a production issue, although it's probably both.
Mar 6, 2022 11:12 AM
Jun 2021
beautiful and emotional episode and well understanding between the charectors. i really love how they take us back all the way to season why during fall of shiganshina and show us that all the anime fans have come a long way from S1. remembering all the sacrifices of those who died without even knowing that humanity existed outside the walls..
the beauty of attack on Titan can never be expressed with words.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 3, 2022

538 by phantom346 »»
Apr 18, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 20, 2022

430 by phantom346 »»
Apr 18, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 13, 2022

416 by goral »»
Apr 14, 4:43 AM

» Falco said something in episode 1 of part 1 which I didn't get the reference of

_karan_123 - Feb 9, 2022

27 by manish_2 »»
Mar 28, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Feb 27, 2022

411 by Apreggi »»
Mar 25, 8:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.