Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 29, 2022 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
Ryman's Club a.k.a Salaryman's Club is technically the last Winter seasonal show to come out this late, but I forgot that there's Crunchyroll's Shenmue being a Western release later than this.

Without further ado, Liden Films is back with another sports anime, this time about Ikemen salarymen playing badminton, where their lives are staked from both their sales and badminton on the line. By no means this is a rehashing of Summer 2018's Hanebado!, but the feeling is almost similar to it. OST is just decent, even with Mafumafu's ED.

Mikoto Shiratori, once a prolific badminton player that like Re-Main's Minato Kiyomizu, suffers a trauma of evading the sport that he was once a pro in from his time at Mitsuhoshi Bank only to get fired from the job, and his mother has an iguana for a pet, how strange. And now being offered and hired as an employee of Sunlight Beverage, makes an intriguing first impression of his weird necktie being tied by his drunk-but-vocal manager Tatsuru Miyazumi.

Unsurprisingly, some people whom played badminton before know of Mikoto's history, people like Koki Takeda and Saeki brothers Toya and Sota, regulated by Ono Yasuomi whom serves as their coach and overall manager. The first resurrection try of a singles match of Mikoto vs. Tatsuru, and as hard as both fought with perception vs. power, the latter won with a close shave to make it a pair team between the two.

This is a decent start just like any other sports show.
KANLen09Jan 29, 2022 12:35 PM
Jan 29, 2022 10:38 AM
Aug 2020
nice first eps. im enjoyed it
Jan 29, 2022 10:59 AM
Oct 2016
solid first ep. More enjoyable than remain first ep, hopefully it gets better in the future.
Jan 29, 2022 11:20 AM

Jul 2017
Doesn't look quite as spectacular on first impressions compared to how I felt watching the badminton action in Hanebado 4 years ago but it wasn't bad. Not a big fan of the characters nor the designs so far but it is refreshing seeing a sports anime like badminton go for the doubles format instead of just singles like every other anime like this. It definitely gives a different perspective with integrating teamwork to the mix of skills, reflexes and concentration where one can make up for another's weak area. Hanebado had some doubles matches at times but it was mainly a singles-focused series, this seems to be focusing on doubles so I'll see how they go from here in the long run. Comedy wasn't that good here, but that was expected.
Jan 29, 2022 11:37 AM

Feb 2020
What a coincidence. I just watched Hanebado few days ago.

Well, this was a nice start. Better than I expected, and definitely better and more interesting than Futsal Boys from this same season.

That necktie looked so ridiculous, haha.

Mikey is so cute. ^_^

SerafosJan 29, 2022 12:54 PM
Jan 29, 2022 11:45 AM

May 2021
I just love how at the start while he's sitting on the train eating it sounds like ASMR. Also, how the yellow haired guy calls himself a 'Badryman'
Jan 29, 2022 11:54 AM

Aug 2019
So far, I'm genuinely enjoying it. We get to see the sport aspect of their lives as well as corporate aspect, which is quite interesting. Tatsuru is a beast, so they make an excellent match. Mikato seems to be dealing with some trauma, but hopefully this new club can help him heal him.

Everyone it’s hot in this anime too lol
Jan 29, 2022 12:23 PM
Sep 2015
The production quality is very good and I hope everyone will appreciate this. No one should watch this and think "oh this is anime's average quality". If this is your "average" then you're gonna have a hard time watching other anime in this season (except that you exclusively watch Ufotable/KyoAni's work). I don't know why but people's standard seem ridiculously high nowadays.

When we talk about sports anime, of course the first thing to talk about is.... no, not the sports, the correct answer is BL shipping LOL, and luckily this badminton/workplace pair seems to tick all boxes of mating pair. Just when I thought it missing out "childhood friend" feature, the end credit scene deliver that for me, even with the age gap (which could be a plus?)

Big company has its own sports team, yes, it's a thing that happened in Japan (and my country too, what about yours?) though most common sports is soccer/football. In top company players can dedicate their time practicing all day, but in a smaller company, players have to work in the office too. This is also happened in the entertainment industry where superstar is just doing their entertain work, while not famous stars have to help out in the agency's office.

One thing I like is some realistic detail, I understand that after he graduate from highschool he went straight to Mitsuhoshi Bank (a combination of real company name Mitsubishi + Mizuho) team for one year before being fired and employed at current Sunlight (named from real beverage company Suntory), so he didn't go to university, that's why you can see that he lack a skill that is common in a "salaryman lifestyle" like how to tie a necktie.

Another interesting thing is that Toya is 19 years old (I'm gonna assume our protagonist is also 19 years old too) but you can see in the OP that they're drinking beer, which is not legal for people under 20. Maybe the OP happened after they're 20 years old, maybe they just don't care, like Grand Blue anime where university student of unknown age drink alcohol like a water.
phantomfandomJan 29, 2022 12:29 PM
Jan 29, 2022 12:30 PM

Nov 2016
*obligatory Hanebado comparison*

Not my type of sports anime, but as a slice of life/work life anime it might get the job done. I still wished there was a more powerful hook.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 29, 2022 12:42 PM

Jun 2021
The animation was surpassingly solid, but the story felt super generic.
Jan 29, 2022 1:05 PM

Jul 2008
BADRYMAN DA !
I enjoyed this first episode, liked Tatsumiko's match intensity so far, and yep as @phantomfandom, the ship is kinda obvious. So I can't wait to see their Mitsuhoshi rival team to have some more ship to do. Kek.

Also Natto cola ? ugh for once I'm not curious to taste something seen on anime !

Jan 29, 2022 1:08 PM

May 2021
better than i anticipated
Jan 29, 2022 1:14 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
whats up with LIDENFILMS and actually trying when it comes to Badminton lmao

Not the most original of story but it's really enjoyable so far!
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 29, 2022 2:25 PM

Apr 2018
So interested in this, a great first episode.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 29, 2022 2:48 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I like how the characters are all adults, it's a great change of pace. The animation is surprisingly good coming from Lidenfilms, glad it's not as bad as Cramer.

I was really excited for this show before and I'm glad it ended up delivering so far.
Jan 29, 2022 3:32 PM

Nov 2019
With being fired to hired, we sure are starting off well

Mikoto's room being made into Mikey the iguana's room sure was funny, along with the clown-like necktie knot

Mikoto and Tatsuru's match was an intense one, but interesting as Tatsuru managed to pick up how Mikoto is missing doubles

I hope Mikoto's feelings are dealt with in a satisfying way in the season, but a nice start to Ryman's club

The OP is suiting, but I totally love the ED (biased of course because Mafumafu-)
Jan 29, 2022 4:01 PM

Dec 2009
This was great, bishounen everywhere! So much potential for yaoi shipping! ^^ I was grinning all the way from beginning till end!

Badarymen-- That was funny :D
Jan 29, 2022 6:01 PM

Aug 2020
I always seen this show's details on twitter. Now that I've watched the first ep. It is not that interesting for me. Imaging being a badaryman LOL.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jan 29, 2022 6:12 PM
Jul 2021
Oh I'm so burning >:3
Is very good ^^
Jan 29, 2022 6:20 PM

Jan 2010
Good first impression! The action scenes were pretty well animated. NOt on the level of say Bakuten, which so far as been the best-animated original sports anime I've seen recently.

Story so far brings nothing new to the table, unless you count the team being adults' instead of high schoolers. Though for some reason it still feels like a high school sports anime. Maybe because of the rival teams shown in the OP all looked like high schoolers to me xD. But hopefully as the show goes on, it'll feel more like you are watching adults live their adult lives while playing Badminton.

Also, for some reason I can't help but feel that Miyzaumi and Miktoto's relationship is like Laurent and Makoto from The Great Pretender xD

Maybe that's because I thought Miyzaumi was voiced by Suwabe Junichi, but he's not. But both Laurent and Miyazumi are shwarmy bastards who toy with Makoto/Mikoto. and both Makoto and Mikoto have stuffy, no-nonsense personalities, who tried not to let the other have their way, but would always end up failing to do so.

And while the premise seems weird, this actually is a thing in Japan. Were companies have Badminton teams and compete https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/exactly-how-does-the-japanese-badminton-system-work.157593/
Jan 29, 2022 6:21 PM
Dec 2019
The main character is like Momota hahahah
gambler indeed
Jan 29, 2022 6:33 PM

May 2012
Hmmmm.. that was strangely good. And quite unexpectedly, the badminton game animation/scenes were particularly decent to watch too.

Honestly, the story is quite appealing enough for me to continue but somehow, I slightly feel (maybe just a very tiny bit) that Enoki Junya and that blonde guy's voice acting doesn't fit well with the characters. I can't quite put my finger on it but anyhow, maybe I am just being nitpicky heheheeh. Or perhaps, I am tired of hearing Enoki in most of the animes that I recently watch🤔
Jan 29, 2022 7:28 PM
May 2021
To be honest, I didn't expect this first ep to hit so hard. This is the kind of first episode that drags you into an anime.
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

Jan 29, 2022 7:40 PM

Mar 2015
The animation is indeed surprisingly good, I'm wondering if I watched Hanebado! only for the girls.
Jan 29, 2022 7:45 PM

Nov 2010
As far as watching this episode, the show is kind of similar to "2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu". The character design is fine and the show would be made for those who prefer "Free!".
Jan 29, 2022 8:14 PM

Sep 2016
Surprisingly really really good and enjoyable
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 29, 2022 8:42 PM

Oct 2016
Gaddamn, I wanna play some badminton. This was a really good start, I guess Lidenfilms just really likes badminton lmao.
Jan 29, 2022 8:47 PM

Jan 2020
I was an absolute beast at badminton back in the day (and probably still am) so it was nice seeing a series about one.

Animation was surprisingly solid for what I would expect from Lidenfilms and I personally think it has potential to go from here

Jan 29, 2022 10:39 PM

Mar 2016
Wow, this is the strongest start out of all the anime I am watching this season, and have watched last season.

Finally another anime with an adult protagonist!

I love that the protagonist was a child prodigy like a lot of shounen protagonists, except he's realised that talent isn't enough.

Trauma. This anime is doing a good job showing hints of trauma. Shiratori gets flashbacks of hurting his teammate after crossing a certain point, and he freezes completely. And, he seems very much against working in pair. I hope they handle this part with care, and not just as a plot tool.

Character relationships are not unnatural like "Futsal Boys".

The art is calming, and the animation is beautiful. It's not too flashy like a kids' show. The voice acting is also not like other stories. It's very nice to listen to.

The ED is sung by Mafumafu!!!! That made me so happy!! lol! I can't stop loving that guy!
Jan 29, 2022 11:29 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Now this is the thrill that I was hoping that Futsal Boys would have given me....Great start
Jan 29, 2022 11:44 PM

Aug 2015
Tatsuru best boy.

I'm excited to see the other teams.
Jan 30, 2022 3:16 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I was already eager to watch this because of the badminton aspect, but his mom basically replacing her son with an iguana is what SOLD me

Also idk about you but I felt him being stressed out, attacking those bento boxes on a spiritual level

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 30, 2022 4:00 AM

Jul 2021
Oh boy as much as I love badminton and I've been quite passionate about it as a hobby, I hope this adaptation can turn out good, at least it's not going to make me cry about it just like what I did in Hanebado! < this was a nightmare fuel and the mom was the bitch of all moms. Anyways moving on, Makoto is hawt and muscular, why'd he get underestimated? At least give him a chance to become better! Mikoto seems to get a flashback of some player getting sick or something during a match, very sad, wonder what happened during the event. This makes me wanna feel bad for him but at the same time I'm feeling bad for myself watching him eating his bento forcibly, that signifies a stressed out and it's so relatable it's scary. I somehow figured that Mikoto is a prodigy but he just doesn't feel enough of it and is doing this without a one dimensional goal. I mean doubles are a lot better than solos imo, depending on who you're playing with though or how you support one another as a double.But hey he received an offer just like as a wise man said, "There is always a will in life no matter what". OP is pretty good btw. So Mikoto is heading ot the office and he bought himself a necktie, not gonna lie he looks like a teacher when wearing that bag lmao. LOL I totally lost it when Tatsuru looks like he was being eaten by a pink hippo statue xD I don't know why but don't attack me, I do want him to be in a duo with Mikoto, haha nice half true bait me, ikr. Joke aside, Tatsuru is quite a homie guy anyone can hangout with but he can be a gag when turning Mikoto's necktie into a "bow tie" xDD oh boy I genuinely feel bad for Mikoto that everyone is making fun of him :P. Oh Mikoto's highschool teammate Toya is also a worker at his office and he seems like one of the players who would be competent-incompetent. Mikoto seems to have a far away to go to learn new things about his new environment I guess. The fact Koki is voiced by Natsu's VA made me chocked my drink for a sec xD Souta is a cute looking guy but maybe from the outlook, he can be taking badminton very competitvely.

The coach is an absolute chad looking guy. Mikoto definitely needs to get used to playing doubles and I understand why Mikoto is mad from all the circumstances that he has to go through. YESS THE MATCH BEGINS: MIKOTO VS TATSURU!! Boy the shuttlecock shows a speed of light type of effect and I quite like how it shows how tense a badminton match would be and Mikoto focuses on Tatsuru's moving while losing 7 rounds was a pretty smart move though I think I've once heard of it before so it can be something common but a big risk however anyone can pull that off if they have the dedication to do so and that aside, I think this part was very well animated and explained. OMGGG I GENUINELY SCREAMED WHEN MIKOTO LOST HELPSJJSJS, THIS WAS AN ENTERTAINMENT AND I FEEL REALLY BAD FOR MIKOTO. Wait chotto matte, Tatsuru is making a ship for both of them (haha this is not bait anymore) and I find this so adorable between their interaction. The ED is pretty chill love it. This might be my latest favorite badminton anime and it has potential for sure. Love you anime industry, Badminton is getting appreciation <3
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 30, 2022 8:34 AM
Sep 2017
Solid first episode..very good animation..overall conecpt is somewhat unique and new but storyline is as old as time itself..like having highschool club+ prodigy with issues storyline..but nonetheless it was enjoyable..7.5/10 so far..
Jan 30, 2022 10:42 AM

Jun 2020
Looks pretty interesting NGL...
Jan 30, 2022 2:04 PM

Feb 2014
It's going to be hard not to compare this show to Hanebado, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, really.

I'm satisfied with the first episode of Ryman's Club, though. While the story premise isn't anything to write home about, it's still good enough to enjoy it for what it is.

The main selling point is the animation quality and, just like with Hanebado back in 2018, Lidenfilms definitely does a great job with the fluidity of the player's movements on the badminton court, as well as smashing the shuttlecock all over the place. I wish I could play as well as Mikoto and Matsuru. XD

All in all, this was a good start. As long as this show doesn't get too caught up in drama like with Hanebado, then I think this series will be better received. =)
Jan 30, 2022 2:45 PM

Mar 2010
Okay, why no one is discussing the end scene of this first episode?

Seems like our main character met his future partner waay in the past.

The blonde guy is 32 years old. And main character is ?? old. One comment here mentions that MC is probably 19-20

So when they met in the past, probably 10 years ago? The blonde guy was 22 and MC was 9 or 10. Interesting.

10 years is a scary difference
But probably intended as such.
Jan 30, 2022 3:56 PM

Oct 2008
omg top-notch animation movements!
5/5.

Jan 30, 2022 6:33 PM

Jun 2019
Damn, I can pretty much tell this is going to be one enjoyable and equal parts relaxing and exhilarating watch.

Especially with some pasta or a scotch in hand. Great show to sink into and my eyes can't help going back into T1000 Terminator mode and oscillating wildly with the shuttlecock's movements. Can't help but bring to mind real life games - Only sport I ever both loved (or even really liked) and excelled in.

I also appreciate how it being set outside of a high school with an older crowd of salarymen compared to the mainly high school girls and a few boys in Hanebado! provides a whole different feel, since I'm not really that familiar with the Japanese salaryman stereotypical corporate work culture outside of heavy drinking and excessive overwork and stress.
Jan 30, 2022 10:33 PM
Sep 2021
Who do you guys think was the hottest guy on the team? I think tatsuru is my favorite hottie.
Jan 31, 2022 2:51 AM
Nov 2021
Good anime.I like
Jan 31, 2022 5:30 AM
May 2020
All I can say about the plot so far is it's intriguing. The production is promising and I never expect the studio to animate so differently from their previous work Tokyo Revengers. I'm hoping this will be a fun run
Jan 31, 2022 6:58 AM
May 2011
I was expecting a more mature vibe since the characters are supposed to be adults, but this felt just like any other high school sports show. While that is kinda disappointing, I do like high school sports shows, and this looked really good.
Jan 31, 2022 8:59 AM

Jan 2021
Looks pretty good so far, the story is a bit basic but its sucking me in. I didn't even know some companies had an official team to compete with other companies.
Jan 31, 2022 10:30 AM
Jan 2016
I enjoyed this more than I expected tbh lol

I like the main pair of players, the MC is kinda meh but the blonde dude makes this anime worth watching
Feb 1, 2022 12:36 AM
Jan 2021
The animation looks amazing. Glad we get another rare sports anime among all the isekais. Looking forward for the next episodes.
Feb 1, 2022 3:29 AM
Aug 2020
The fujoshi bait is strong with this one, they cast two of the most prominent BL VAs and even included a scene for naming the ship in this episode.
Feb 1, 2022 9:44 AM

Nov 2012
I wasn't try ing to add to watch list. Damnit! I really like the hataraki man aspect.

Jaytaro10 said:
To be honest, I didn't expect this first ep to hit so hard. This is the kind of first episode that drags you into an anime.

Exactly! My plan was to but it on hold or dismiss it after ep. 1, but now I'm looking forward to next week.
Feb 1, 2022 10:25 AM

Mar 2015
CQLLIST said:
at least it's not going to make me cry about it just like what I did in Hanebado!

Cry like in a good or a bad way? Even tho I loved the anime at first, after reading the manga it was easy to say that the anime doesn't do any favors to the gem Hanebado! is.
Feb 1, 2022 12:04 PM

Feb 2019
This show is honestly a little bit incredible. The only unique thing about our premise is that it's adults instead of high school kids, which it then proceeds to ignore entirely and just do a high school sports club thing anyway. He didn't get kicked off the team, he was fired from the bank. For choking at badminton. But he's scouted by Business Inc. To play badminton. A new school job? Well, if they don't take badminton as serious as him, he's quitting! Hell, they all even wear backpacks to work, and the ending suggests that they're going to regionals. It doesn't even do anything specifically related to badminton.

It is quite literally Generic Sports Show with dudes and sport slotted in, without any regard or even acknowledgement that they're supposedly adults or playing badminton. We have our absolutely 100% generic template, and absolutely nothing is going to budge that, right down to the weird animal shoehorned in for no reason. We should all aspire to give as few craps about everything as the people who made it does. Checks are cashed. What're you going to do about it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryman's Club Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 16, 2022

50 by ankara »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:49 PM

Poll: » Ryman's Club Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 5, 2022

38 by KingBaller06 »»
Dec 14, 2023 3:08 PM

Poll: » Ryman's Club Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 12, 2022

35 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 AM

» Ryman club broadcast in Malaysian TV

RMX_90 - Nov 2, 2023

3 by Cellider »»
Nov 3, 2023 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ryman's Club Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 26, 2022

12 by vidrar_sky »»
Mar 18, 2023 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.