Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2021 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty cool they saved this finale with Omnimon doing the hard work to take down their ultimate enemy. I see they poured quite a bit of budget into this finale too.

Not only him though but it looks like they had the other Megas join the fight too. A bit predictable but still one hell of a final episode for the season. Looking forward to Ghost Game!
Sep 25, 2021 6:18 PM

Nov 2016
Some may think I'm too blinded by nostalgia, which I actually don't really believe, but this was just meh. A lot happened without having any impact at all. I dunno, you could just feel that this reboot was severely lacking, heart above anything else.

Digimon Adventure? More like Digimon Merch.

Any new watcher who even remotely enjoyed this might want to check out the OG. Here's me hoping that they will leave 02 alone, lol.

PS: The finale itself wasn't all that bad by this reboots standards.
FMmatronSep 26, 2021 2:49 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 25, 2021 7:21 PM

Jan 2013
Leomon didnt die 6/10
Sep 25, 2021 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
FMmatron said:
Some may think I'm too blinded by nostalgia, which I actually don't really believe, but this was just meh. A lot happened without having any impact at all. I dunno, you could just feel that this reboot was severly lacking, heart above anything else.

Any new watcher who even remotely enjoyed this might want to check out the OG. Here's me hoping that they will leave 02 alone, lol.
Well they already doing 02 movie
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Sep 25, 2021 7:54 PM

Jul 2017
This finale episode....honestly is kinda like the best of the worst predicable endings ever in this series.

Everyone is giving their last spurt against Negamon, while of course Taichi and Yamato bore the grunt against the core. I know that the "Power of Friendship" trope can get annoying, but this show (for a hot take) does it a lot worse than others.

The DigiDestined and their Digimon have saved both the human and Digital World, but the feeling of resentment is much higher than past. Kinda of a meh ending if you ask me to a reboot series so valiantly hated from the OG's perspective.

Just hope that they don't ruin Ghost Game or the 02 movie, because I already have no faith for the Digimon franchise overall.

FMmatron said:
Some may think I'm too blinded by nostalgia, which I actually don't really believe, but this was just meh. A lot happened without having any impact at all. I dunno, you could just feel that this reboot was severly lacking, heart above anything else.
Said like a true veteran.
Sep 25, 2021 7:59 PM

Nov 2016
Ishkoten said:
FMmatron said:

Well they already doing 02 movie

They did some movies before, also the tri. series. At least it ain't another reboot or sequel for this one, lol.

@KANLen09

A disappointed one.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 25, 2021 8:12 PM

Feb 2014
Yeah, like the majority, I did not enjoy this installment much, from around episode 3 or 4 I could already tell it was gonna be a drag for me, and didn't take long to learn I wasn't alone with that though.

I did enjoy the Mimi centered episodes, so there's that.

Tho I have faith in Ghost Game.
Sep 25, 2021 8:30 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Finally, this garbage reboot has come to an end.

In a safe way this wasn't a bad finale, though if you start questioning stuff like "how were they able to start developing a way to go back?", "was there some kind of goodbye between them and their Digimon?" and "why were the people from Earth cheering just from seeing those images in the skies?" then you'll see a lot of grey areas. In fact this applies to this anime as a whole as every episode had it's fair number of moments like this.

Since I'm not gonna point out every single one of them because it would take too long and other people already did it, to sum up:
- The pacing was horrendous as the story tried to create tension from meaningless and too many "end of the world" scenarios
- No character other than Mimi and Joe were really developed in terms of growth or personality. Takeru, Sora and Hikari were the worst in this aspect.
- In MANY occasions the digievolutions obtained by that point were not used to their fullest. WarGreymon is the clearest example that comes to mind.
- Animation-wise there were a lot of cut and copy shots, rough drawings and the budgets clearly went towards SOME of the sequences (only the relevant ones I guess). In that regard, those were overused
- BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon (I won’t elaborate on that topic, it’s very clear why they are there).
- No clear explanation on the crests was provided or pursued until too late on the plot (and even so).
- There's no clear target audience for this reboot as it uses a lot of elements from the original series but very poorly or without creating a meaningful context to begin with (Yamato and Takeru's parents being divorced is just a fun fact, for example).
- The digivice is a plot device. It can do whatever it needs such as buffs, data analysis and more.
- And many MANY more

Tl:dr If you wanna get into DIgimon, go back to the original series from 1999 and also watch the Our War Game movie, which (btw) this anime references more than once to look good. Don't waste your time on this, it's not worth it.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Sep 25, 2021 8:45 PM

Jan 2021
I'm kind of mad and i don't know if it's because this reboot needed a worst ending or this finale neded a better series. The finale, as predictable as it was, wasn't as bad as some of the middle parts of this run.

Also, the mandatory new Omegamon form is kinda neat, compared to other ones.

This thing shouldn't have been 67 episodes.
Sep 25, 2021 8:55 PM

Feb 2019
I hope I’m not alone in thinking the finale and entire second half of the show were subpar. I really think they should’ve left the OG team alone for a while after Digimon The Last. Yes the fight was pretty cool, but everything else was just meh. I enjoyed the first few episodes pre covid a lot. But after that, it felt like there were so many empty episodes that were just there to fill time. That’s not me just being blinded by nostalgia either. I’m tired of taichi dominated episodes and series. Ghost game and the 02 movie will really be a breath of fresh air.
Marinate1016Sep 25, 2021 8:58 PM
Sep 25, 2021 9:13 PM

Oct 2017
Lots of action in the finale and they finally did it, they saved the world. Also I'm glad the digimons are still with them.

Allright remake of Digimon, enjoyed the first episodes but after that it became quite repetative and boring. Anyway we might get a continuation someday, proly gonna watch that too.
Sep 25, 2021 9:39 PM

Jul 2013
Ah yes, let's just shove in 30 seconds of Omegamon Alter-S because we need to tie the Blitz and Cres loose end.

Let's just say this is the golden example of "have your cake and eat it too". It clearly wanted to be episodic adventure, but it also wanted to have overarching plot. And of course, it utterly failed on both side.

I can't believe I'm saying this but this is honestly worse than Shounen Hunter-tachi. As cliche/generic as the cast in that show was, they at least had goal and basic personality. At the very least, Tagiru picked a fight with Yuu from time to time. But this? What is this? Koushiro is exposition machine. Takeru and Hikari are walking deus ex machina. Yamato is for Omegamon. Taichi is Taichi. Everyone else is useless. No matter what kind of situation they were put in, they will always take the most selfless, most heroic course of action imaginable.

If they wanted to make a Taichi Adventure that badly, just adapt the V-Tamer manga for god's sake. (Or actually, just don't. I know they will fuck it up somehow.)

Welp, at least Ghost Game can't be worse than this right? RIGHT???

2/10
Sep 25, 2021 9:50 PM

Feb 2013
Lots of character development was sacrificed in this version. I think the biggest loss was Tailmon's backstory and positioning. Her origins in the original made her one of the most interesting characters.

The main antagonists were also extremely bland and devoid of any character or personality. Just empty drones lamenting their own existence.

I mean geez, look at Devimon. They made him so...boring.

I normally don't get too critical of a show unless it's related to something close to me and Digimon 01 and 02 to me, like many others, was part of my youth. My teen years admittedly but I'm not ashamed to say it. One of the ways I apply value to a show is by whether or not I have or would re-watch it. I know I've re-watched OG Digimon at least once all the way through.

I don't think I'd re-watch this. It just felt hollow in comparison. It wasn't awful and it wasn't great. It just...was.
Sep 25, 2021 10:06 PM

Nov 2008
I DON'T CARE what anyone says, this Digimon Series gets a 10/10 for me.

FINALLY we get Omnimon AKA Omegamon in his Alter-S Form and looks hella epic.

Also just like his X or Merciful Mode, Omnimon is this form is busted as hell too.

Also WE DID IT BOYS, the Leomon Death Curse is finally broken.

HollowIchigo58Sep 26, 2021 3:03 AM
Sep 25, 2021 10:10 PM

Apr 2020
Predictable, but nice conclusion. Negamon (or whatever his final form is called) true form was just a dark Omegamon... he has a cape, cannon, sword... creativity was not really on point.

Well, what a ride, 67 episodes. For someone who has Digimon Adventure on favorites, this version was quite underwhelming and it's VERY hard to not do comparisons. Every character and the digimons were interesting on Adventure. From 16 good characters we went to 4 on this version: Mimi, Joe, Palmon and Gomamon. And they're considered as support characters, not main. Mimi and Palmon episodes are responsible for 99% of the enjoyment I felt watching this version. I hated how they gave all the importance to Taichi and Agumon, and Yamato and Gabumon were there only because they are needed to make Omegamon possible.

I love Palmon, Gomamon and Tentomon voices and I'll never get tired of them. I also enjoyed Goddramon and Holydramon versus Millenniumon. Weregarurumon and Omegamon are some of my favorite digimon, so it's always good to see them.

Looking forward to Ghost Game.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 25, 2021 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
i have to google that one so its an Omegamon fusion of BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon called Omegamon Alter S and it looks badass

Negamon final form or knight mode is cool too

still an average show overall with inconsistent animation
Sep 26, 2021 12:22 AM
Sep 2015
While I prefer "X-treme Fight", the final version of "Break the chain" is the perfect choice for this episode. I've watch every single Digimon anime and I've no plan to stop watching it. In fact, I actually hope for the sequel of this reboot. But realistically Toei can't continue two Digimon timeline anime at the same time so 02 sequel was selected instead.

But calling this Digimon a reboot is not quite right IMO. For me it's actually require you to watch every single anime before watching this. I would call this a Digimon Encyclopedia: the Anime. Because it explores Digimon and its world deeper than before.

Sep 26, 2021 12:31 AM

Apr 2020
It wasn't bad but still a disappointment in comparison to the OG. 6/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Sep 26, 2021 12:44 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Quite ridiculous for a final fight xD I didn't like this remake at all, I don't have the will to watch the Ghost Game one because of that so goodbye Digimon :/
Sep 26, 2021 2:38 AM

Mar 2015
The worst anime I've ever seen. It really sucks seeing Digimon be this bad. The show that was once such a great series for kids with positive and inspiring messages delivered through nice characterization and down to earth, contemplative and believable moments. Now you have these hollow piece of shit characters riding Digimon into battle and being invincible with no logical explanation, shattering any possibility for suspension of disbelief time and time again. The only personality trait they have is that they are virtuous heroes. Transported to an alien world? Being in the middle of a fire tornado? Not even a minor inconvenience for them.

Not to mention, the story and the mute garbage villains sucked. Negamon might as well be mute as well. The most bland and pointless villain in Digimon ever. What even was this last portion of the show? A complete waste of time.

0,5/10
Sep 26, 2021 3:00 AM

Sep 2019
Meh remake, I don't know why they decided to make this. Are they gonna remake the games too?
Sep 26, 2021 4:25 AM

Mar 2018
Phew, it finally ended for real. I was worried it won't end this week too and there might be another announcement of one more episode lol. Felt like an achievement I could sit through this horrendous show for over one year. Now it's finished for good, where did I put my eyedrop...

Ehh, not gonna lie, the ending was a bit better with nice action scenes and I kinda like how the kids took their Digimon to the real world but too late to matter anything. I won't repeat the glaring flaws of this reboot anymore cuz above comments and new reviews already did it justice. (One of rare cases where MAL reviews are justified too.)

4/10 overall and this is me being generous. If I were to be harsher, this reboot shouldn't exist at all. It's too infuriating to see my childhood classic filled with love and hope for children being reduced to this pathetic nostalgia-bait cash grab with no soul.

Sep 26, 2021 4:54 AM
Nov 2011
I can't understand how people can like this shit. With comparison to the original or without, this show is under any criticism. Most of it was just bland. No character development, boring & mute villains, unexplained plot lines, random-sudden plot, excessive focus on one character, no logic in battles (literally the kids are immune to everything) etc. In one sentence: this series has no soul.
Mimi was awesome tho.
2/10
Sep 26, 2021 5:00 AM

Feb 2013
The show itself was utter garbage and TOEI should write a letter of apology to all the Digimon fans in the world.

But if I ignore that for just a minute one has to admit that the first half was really good. A well animated battle with a nice instrumental version of Break the Chains. Also they gave us the "updated" Omegamon even if just for a single scene.

But then what the hell was that ending? 66.5 episodes of not giving a sh*t. Wow.
Will I watch Ghost... Probably...
Sep 26, 2021 5:40 AM
Nov 2020
This final battle was everything you could ever want out of the last episode of a Digimon series. Too bad it came out of nowhere and didn't fit the rest of the series at all.

The animation was amazing. Like 100 times better than usual. Negamon was creative as hell, the soundtrack was great, the last evolution was cool and didn't feel forced in any way. I'm actually sad to see how much potential this series had, and how it threw everything away with its crappy character development, non-existent story, 50% filler episodes, and in general just bad writing.

As far as I see it, at this point, if you don't think this episode was 5/5 or even 4/5, you're just complaning for the sake of complaning. It stood out in quality so much that I really don't understand what happened to the rest of the series. If you take this as a standalone episode it couldn't have been much better. If you take it as the culmination of the entire series... well, then 66 and 67 feel like they're not even part of the same universe they've build up in the previous 65 episodes.
Sep 26, 2021 6:11 AM
Oct 2019
lmao TOEI be like let just put Omegamon new form without any explanation so we can sell more toys...

oh boy finally this shit Garbage going to end, after 67 episodes.
What a Huge Dissapointment for sure.

I will not going to point out every single point of the bad aspect because it just too many.

Leomon is alive yay... we broke the curse lmao

If anyone of you never watched the Original and this is your first Digimon Series, i feel so bad for you.
Please go and watched the Original Series.

This series is a Garbage and waste of time.
2/10

Sep 26, 2021 6:29 AM
Jun 2007
Wew, One and half year of "reboot". Ended the series with Omegamon Alter-S
Sep 26, 2021 6:52 AM
Jun 2019
This series was quite a disappointment with many aimless adventures and things. At the beginning, I was fine with it, because I figured they would build things up more after getting some evolutions going. However, that was never the case. I will not lie though, I was entertained enough for a 5/10. Perhaps I will downgrade this rating in the future...i don't really think very hard about how my ratings sit with each other.
Sep 26, 2021 7:25 AM

Oct 2019
Those sparks effect remind me with Kill la Kill. Lol

It's too bad the final boss don't bother to digidevolve them and summon previously beat up bosses, just like past Apokarimon did. .-.
andrearionaSep 26, 2021 7:30 AM
Sep 26, 2021 9:09 AM

Dec 2013
This trash is finally over, screw this reboot and everything it represents, what a waste of time, only two things I enjoyed from this show were the different evolution paths, that was also done so flat and wasted oportunity, and the amazing Mimi episodes, I seriously need a slice of life spin off of her.

The only one who got a nice deal from the reboot was Izumi, now getting to hang out with Mimi on that club.

Now I'm really looking forward to Ghost Game, not just because it is Digimon but because there is no way it is worst than this, the bar is so low the sky is the limit.
Sep 26, 2021 9:49 AM

Sep 2011
It's finally over. The TaiShow era has come to an end.
Sep 26, 2021 10:29 AM

Mar 2019
I haven't been this hyped for Digimon in a while... great episode! Maybe a sequel will happen?
Sep 26, 2021 11:21 AM

Jun 2017
OMG GUYS WE ARE FINALLY FREE!

I didn't like this reboot either. The main story sucked ass, some of the side stories were great though. Overall it's as others said, "meh" but I can give it a 6/10, it wasn't super horrible, it was just boring as fuck more often than not. (also the fact they reused the same opening 67 times almost made me go insane on top of half the series being about Taichi...)

At least Leomon lived. lol
Negamon's final form was also pretty cool looking but that's about it, as a villain he was bad.
Sep 26, 2021 11:26 AM

Feb 2017
Really like Digimon, my favorites are Digimon Tamers and Digimon Adventure (03, 01).

But this was the worst serie of Digimon by far, it's the firts anime in my list here that put it a
one "appalling".

The only good thing was the 3er ending, the "new" evolution of some main digimon,
the battle with the bosses.

The worst was the episode with the motto "Safe work..." and the other push the "turtle"
over the mountain with T.K i fell asleep there and wake up in the end really XD.

The Taichi Season is over, now we can sleep peacefully :) .

Digimon ghost game and Movie 02 can't be worse than this .

PD: The "new" front cover with all the main digimon "spoilers" is also good.
Henceforth_WhiteSep 26, 2021 11:29 AM
Sep 26, 2021 4:38 PM

Mar 2013
well, at least negamon design was pretty cool XD
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Sep 26, 2021 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
Finally, the suffering is over.

As a long-time Digimon fan, I was so excited when this reboot was announced. I mean, yeah it would be different but that didn't mean it would be bad, right?... Right?!... Wrong.

The first couple of episodes were not really of my liking. Like starting off with Omegamon?... Wh-why?. But hey, it was too soon to judge, so I stayed because "it might get better in the future". But boy oh boy, I never expected it to get this bad.
The writing of this was atrocious. It was like watching an adaptation of some 12-year old Wattpad fanfiction. No substance, no soul, no sense whatsoever. Everything was done in such a mechanical way. It was like a robot trying to convey human emotion but failing miserably. Like, I know you guys are doing this to sell some toys but at least MAKE IT SEEM LIKE YOU CARE AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT.
And seriously... If there's an anime I have a soft spot for, that is Digimon. But never in these 67 episodes I felt moved or nostalgic.

And they completely ruined Taichi for me. He used to be my favorite of the main 8. And yes, he has been the main focus before, him and Yamato have being in the spotlight a lot. But this was just plain ridiculous. Throwing him in every single episode in case we're all brainless people who forget who the main character is. The story couldn't advance if he wasn't there, like fuck off!

Positive things I have to say about this horseshit: I really liked some of the EDs, Leomon survived for once, Wisemon's voice is everything, and it's cool they included the mega-evolutions for all of them instead just Agumon and Gabumon.

Final score: Digimierda/10.
Sep 26, 2021 9:26 PM

Apr 2015
LOL 0/10
Seeing Leomon dying was literally the only reason I started to watch this show.
Sep 27, 2021 3:51 AM

Jan 2021
It's finally over thank god. I don't even have much to say anymore cause I think I've already expressed all my problems with it in the last episodes. I was just really waiting for it to be done with at this point. Good riddance.
Sep 27, 2021 1:33 PM
Jul 2019
Many may say this was just for kids but honestly I'm tired of the notion that kids can't deal with serious topics and the implication that they're too stupid for real stuff? We weren't. Partly why Digimon Adventure was good was bc of the adventure, the relatable issues btw and outside of the team, the personalities, the development/growth, the emotions, feelings, flaws from the og cast and the focus on everyone. The characters felt real, we saw ourselves in them. Now they're just .. bland.

And much as I love Tai, which used to be a lot until the sequels were released, they really need to stop making everything revolve around him. It was a 1 boy show like Kizuna. They obviously had no idea what to do with Sora who keeps getting worse with every release.

Genuinely feels as if Toei has no idea what to do with the franchise and I highly blame the epilogue for closing the doors which they should've just retconned instead of holding onto. It ruined possibilities.
lov3lymjSep 27, 2021 1:39 PM
Sep 28, 2021 5:12 AM

May 2012
what a pain it was to watch. bless god its finally over.
Sep 28, 2021 4:21 PM

Jul 2016
suzumya said:
what a pain it was to watch. bless god its finally over.

Well, agree. I dont know why i didnt dropped.
Sep 30, 2021 2:05 AM
May 2017
I finished this a bit ago but I’m gonna write a few thoughts about the anime as a whole.

Good: Honestly even though they only used 1 opening at least it was good (imo). Mimi was still good, as well as Tentomon and Gomamon. The ost was good for the most part it could’ve been worse, same with the actual animation it was obviously better, same with the fight scenes they had good animation (sometimes at least). Komondomon was good and showed that even if they didn’t talk they could have a personality. Leomon survived.

Bad: Characters were really underdeveloped, especially Sora, Yamato and Koushiro (my fav). Tai was there too much and he was basically the only character that they even remotely tried to show doing stuff, even if he was quite literally wandering around the last 15 episodes. The adventure feel was nonexistent, it didn’t feel like anything was really built into the digital world, like I can’t seem to remember any significant place besides the hot springs.
The digimon had no real personality, aside from a couple, only the main 8 really talked, but even then some of them were just there to fight. There wasn’t any real connection to the real world aside from the fact that some characters went back there for no reason, and then came back somehow, and all the dumb side plots of the digital world messing with technology.
Why were the kids always on the digimon? I can get Koushiro, Sora or Joe to like go somewhere but during fights it was kinda unnecessary, the kids are apparently durable as mega digimon. Devimon and Etemon were stripped of personality (etemon less but still only in the one episode that it seemed he had less). Etemons episode could be skipped entirely and you wouldn’t have missed the story. Idk if anyone else noticed but Gennai and other humans were completely absent.

Honestly there’s more but it’s tiring putting this all down at this point. TLDR so much bad that the good gets overshadowed, Leomon survived and Gennai wasn’t anywhere to be seen.
Oct 2, 2021 12:53 AM

Mar 2008
Definitely not great, but definitely not god awful. I enjoyed seeing all the Megas pop up. Overall I significantly liked the original series more. I liked the arcs way better. This series didn't feel like it really had super well defined arcs to me. I'll give it a 6/10, I think it was just fine overall.
Oct 3, 2021 12:31 AM

Jul 2008
My biggest issue was the whole show was focused on Taichi, everyone else was pushed to the background which was sad. They are a team not a 1 man show.

This gets a 5/10. SOme cool stuff, cool fights, but just lacked the spirit.
Oct 4, 2021 7:45 PM
Apr 2021
Finally watched this last episode. I really am not sure what to say. But time sure flies. I'm glad to have seen this anime as it aired.
Oct 4, 2021 10:53 PM
May 2013
Its reassuring to know that everyone here shares my disdain for this reboot. Digimon fans on Twitter, Reddit&Youtube just worship this garbage. This reboot makes Tri look like a masterpiece. That's how much we've lowered the bar for Storytelling&Character development in Digimon.

Oct 16, 2021 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
It's finally, finally over.

This was atrocious.

I'm a MASSIVE Digimon fan, I have two Digimon tattoos, but this may have been one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I'm just happy it's over.

It will forever annoy me that the children rode on their Digimon's shoulders whenever they battled.

2/10
"I will transcend God" - Black Star

Jan 1, 2022 2:10 PM

Jan 2012
And so the children defeat Negamon, save the universe and go home for some fun time with their digimon pals, while their story is handed down to new digimon. Who knows what adventures still await them?

Well, you know, I've tried to look at this series as objectively as I could. It's tough though, because it's a retelling of one of my earliest exposures to anime. I, like many I assume, first watched Digimon Adventure back when it was originally shown Saturday mornings on Fox. I was still a pre-teen myself then, not much older than the main characters in the series. I grew up with the Americanized names. Tai, Izzy, Matt, TK, etc...and I look back fondly on those first 4 Digimon series. I haven't watched any beyond those. So as I watched this new series I knew it was important to remember that, one, I'm not an 11 year old anymore and, two, this series isn't trying to be a 1 to 1 remake of that one. With that said I just can't see this as anything other than inferior by comparison. First the good things. I do like that every member of the digi destined got to see a Mega form by series end. That was nice. Also, some of the many one-off episodes worked better than others. A few even managed to emotionally invest me in what was going on. I also might be willing to say Devimon as a character was better handled here than in the original series.

That said, the problems come with the rest of the series. It was a complaint I read many times in episode discussion threads on here and yeah, I can't deny it, this show all too often felt like the Tai and Agumon show. It's great that everyone got a Mega, but somehow they all felt more sidelined than ever before. Matt probably suffered the most from this in that regard as he was the one who received by far the most attention besides Tai in the original series. He never went through any arc in this series really, none of them did outside the episode here or there devoted to them. I can forgive this given that it is a kids show, but the original series was a kids show too and it told a better story. The biggest complaint I have regarding this new series has to be the story. Nothing here could match the story of the Myotismon(yes, he'll always be Myotismon to me) arc in the original series. Or even the Dark Masters. Or even Oikawa from Series 2. Milleniumon was a huge letdown. Negamon was a huge letdown. They had no personality! This series really faltered in the overall story arc department. With all of that out of the way do I think this was a bad series? No, not really. It was servicable. Perfectly fine fluff. Watching it one episode a week was no chore, though I do think marathoning these last 4 as I just did was a bit tougher. I was definitely ready for it to be finished, and now it is. I'll give it a 6/10. Perhaps had I never seen the original series, or even if I were in a better mood I'd give it a higher score, but as it is that will do.
Feb 17, 2022 3:42 AM

Feb 2020
Leomon didn't die! :P That was a pleasant surprise.

Well, it was an okay finale.

Overall, not a great reboot, but a little better than people give it credit for. Yeah, the plot was pretty messy and there were far too many Taichi episodes, but I still enjoyed this adventure more or less. At least this was better than 02 or Tri., but that's only my opinion.

I enjoyed Mimi and Sora episodes the most. I also liked those two episodes with Ogremon and MetalTyrannomon a lot. Easily the best battle scenes in my opinion.

7/10
Sep 5, 2023 5:54 AM

Nov 2012
so with that this dreadful reboot is finally put out of it's misery.
Don't get me wrong there is I guess, some enjoyment to be had for the digi-nostalgia charm alone. It's just sad what this reboot ended up being vs what we could've had.
The original Digimon is a special and amazing show.
I just can't imagine any kids watching this and having the same effect that kids who grew up on 01-05 had. Honestly a faithful "kai style" remake just with updated animation probably would've been a lot more valuable (and getting the majority of the original dub cast back would've helped too). The english dub is a mixed bag, some voices sound fine and some way off but it's apparent this show has a lot more issues than simply poor dubbing, the issues also may not be the fault of the VAs and simply poor production, casting and direction. The English OP & ED were a small treat at least, as they easily could've skimped on making those too.
It's sad because initially there was a lot of hype around this (same with Ghost Game) and then it just tapered off and squandered that opportunity. It could've been huge for Digimon as a franchise if both this and then Ghost Game had hit.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 58 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2021

20 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 57 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2021

24 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 56 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2021

26 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 55 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

34 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 54 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2021

23 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.