Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2021 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, the amount of anxiety and pressure this epsiode is almost overwhelming. Just imagine those students in thier roles...especially Yamada as Juliet.

The episode also had a surreal feeling from Sarasa's perspective. Seems they're setting up for the series' finale.
Sep 18, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
The 4/40 Romeo And Juilet class auditions continue...and it's nerving each and every potential girl to their inner hearts.

Yamada's life of a Rose of Versailles 2D to 2.5D anime inspiration to a 3D almost-BGR like Kaoru's, yelp, the friendzone hits hard to this cute but timid girl. And what's up with the teacher who has a bias favoritism for her singing? For Ai to see a rival in her, that empty look I just can't help but chuckle at it.

For someone like Sawa to help convince Aya, what a friend they have in them. But her performance of Tybalt is one of admonishment, it must've been pressure inducing, something brought from not just acting in front of the teachers whim have years of experience behind them.

On Sarasa's side, going back in time for her backstory continuation, her acceptance into Kouka is celebrated by her only family that is her grandfather...but her childhood friend Akiya's talk with her father Kouzaburou has some disdain in it. Regardless, I love the fish symbolism of aspect, and we finally see what Sarasa's been fighting for with her life: be Lady Oscar like the stingray, accept Akiya into her life, and perform the best she can.

What a penultimate episode of feelings going wild.
Sep 18, 2021 9:34 AM

Feb 2019
One of my fave episodes so far. I love how good the girls’ mini arcs are. Aya’s backstory gave some really nice depth to her character. Her inferiority complex makes a lot more sense now.

The Sarasa flashback was also nice. Akiya has been under a tremendous amount of pressure his whole life. Really messed up to railroad a kid like that.

I think the anime does a good job of making the pressure on the girls palpable too. You really do feel for them during these high stake auditions.

Didn’t want this episode to end and don’t want the series to end, man it’s been fun.
Sep 18, 2021 9:41 AM

Apr 2014
Friendzone forever for Aya. 😢 I really love her backstory. Her singing as Juliet was also outstanding, as well as, her seiyuu Sasaki Rico. After we saw a stunning Tybalt from Sawa, now it's time for the Sarasa version.

何それ?意味分かんない
Sep 18, 2021 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
AkeZZZ said:
Friendzone forever for Aya. 😢 I really love her backstory. Her singing as Juliet was also outstanding, as well as, her seiyuu Sasaki Rico. After we saw a stunning Tybalt from Sawa, now it's time for the Sarasa version.

Does it seem to me, or for an all-female show, girls in this anime have too many male-focused backstories?
Sep 18, 2021 10:16 AM

Apr 2014
RobertBobert said:

Does it seem to me, or for an all-female show, girls in this anime have too many male-focused backstories?

Ai, Sarasa, Kaoru, and Ayako all of their backstories are related to male characters, with Ai's case that was quite strange from the others. The left ones are Sawa and the twins. Maybe, it is quite normal for high school girls to involving with guys somehow especially in a romantic way. It's not strange from their age. They are just high school students, tbh.
何それ?意味分かんない
Sep 18, 2021 10:23 AM

Apr 2017
Aw, it was so cute when Aya realized that her classmate was hitting on her, and how her teacher was rooting for her!
I also like how all the first-year girls compliment each other on their performances.

How neat of Sarasa to make the first move and ask Akiya out!
Sep 18, 2021 10:34 AM

Jul 2011
Aya backstory part was good, but the second half of the episode felt just stretching the plot to cover more time.
Sep 18, 2021 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
AkeZZZ said:
RobertBobert said:

Ai, Sarasa, Kaoru, and Ayako all of their backstories are related to male characters, with Ai's case that was quite strange from the others. The left ones are Sawa and the twins. Maybe, it is quite normal for high school girls to involving with guys somehow especially in a romantic way. It's not strange from their age. They are just high school students, tbh.

In itself, this is not strange, but I am too weaned from female characters who do not pretend that men do not exist and at the same time are not rom-com heroines.
Sep 18, 2021 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
Wow. I feel so betrayed. I immediately watched this episode first thing in the morning, excited and looking forward to seeing Sarasa act out her take on Tybalt. And they ended the episode just like that....
Anyways, amazing episode. Ayako's past was great. Both Ayako and Asuka got stuck in the friendzone lol. The choir teacher rooting for Ayako was cute. I'm glad she performed well. Sarasa and Akiya were cute as well. It's always so refreshing to see a female character who's willing to make the first move to ask out the guy. Watching Sarasa always brightens my day.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Sep 18, 2021 10:46 AM

Jan 2020
Great episode like always.

The flashbacks in the series are consistently amazing and Aya's singing was impressive. I can't wait for Sarasa's Tybalt but at the same time, it'll be sad seeing this end next week :(

I'll miss this

Sep 18, 2021 10:55 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty sweet backstory for Ayako which set up her performance nicely. Also we got more of Sarasa backstory which was great.

Sarasa's play is finally here and wow sensei himself gonna play Romeo. The hype is off the charts.
Sep 18, 2021 10:58 AM

Jun 2019
I’m very close to bumping this up to a 7/10 after this episode. Chika’s backstory was ok, but it was boosted by how naturally her friend confessing her love for her. That was a nice touch to reinforce her qualities that could help her stand out as a female lead (tbh I think she’s secured the role this time around even without seeing Ai’s performance).
Sep 18, 2021 11:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Now that was one stellar episode!

Chika’s backstory was great, especially those final moments with the friend and her confession. It’s great to see that she managed to give her best shot for the performance.

Kind of impressive how smoothly the episode changed gears to focus on Salsa right after. It was fairly obvious that there was more to the relationship with her boyfriend and this sort of adds up now.

And that cliffhanger! “And Romeo will be me!” - Oof, I felt that. Can’t wait for the finale now!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 18, 2021 11:34 AM

Nov 2016
Based sensei, lmao.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 18, 2021 12:18 PM
Aug 2018
Some great performance from Yamada and Sawa.
Awaiting for Sarasa to break a leg.
Hope we get a seacond season !
Sep 18, 2021 12:31 PM
Dec 2019
Really great episode. I liked Ayako's performance in partiular. Would've liked it a little more if the teacher did not explain her singing, as the VA did a great job (I assume that this was manga dialogue, where you can't hear her singing and it has to be explained).

Was also really surprised that they keep Sarasa's performance for the next episode and instead gave her one more flashback. Btw. Kaoru and the twins didn't get much screentime for their performance, feels bad :)

RobertBobert said:
AkeZZZ said:

I also find this interesting. Although a bit heavy that in all their backstories a boy was a central character, it makes the show a bit more grounded that, yes, girls also interact with boys (in contrast to some other shows with a purely female main cast). Maybe the author also wanted to go out of her way to show that certain characters are not gay, as this can be an easy stereotype for Takarazuka?
Sep 18, 2021 1:08 PM
Jul 2021
was Sawa also hitting on Aya? i think i might be misinterpreting Aya’s flashback convo and equating it to her convo w Sawa… if not, then this is the cutest thing Sawa has ever done omg
Sep 18, 2021 1:37 PM
May 2021
What Sawa did for Aya on the surface felt indeed not like her character, but that made it a welcome surprise. Great performance from Aya.

Super sad this season ends next week. I doubt we'll get a 2nd season, but man would that ever be nice. This adaptation is really solid.
Sep 18, 2021 1:37 PM

Apr 2012
@Sylverthas I don't know if the intentions were that deep, but the fact that Sarasa's love interest was announced so early and so confidently was clearly for this reason. You can compare that to josei Uramichi Oniisan this season, where the female character is the only not-single in a predominantly ikemen cast. The funny thing is, even with that, most of these ikemen almost literally say, "By the way, did I mention I'm not gay?".

When I heard something like that at Hibike's spin-off, I thought it sounded funny. But as it turned out, now more and more authors are doing this in order to avoid romance and not get into the shipping zone.

zelitta said:
was Sawa also hitting on Aya? i think i might be misinterpreting Aya’s flashback convo and equating it to her convo w Sawa… if not, then this is the cutest thing Sawa has ever done omg

As far as I understand, the author purposefully took any romance outside of Kouka.
Sep 18, 2021 1:48 PM

Dec 2016
Aya is an amazing singer, that was great to watch her in action, and also the interaction with Ai calling her a worthy rival.

Another very good backstory for her as well, normally I thought it was the boy the gets friendzoned but anyway, there was also the possibility of her friend confessing to her or just playing around.

I think Aya with long hair is very beautiful, I understand why she has that current hairstyle which she explained herself in a previous episode, but I would like to see the long hair version of her again one day.

I always like seeing more of Sarasa's past as well, the boyfriend/girlfriend talk at the aquarium was good.

Now I am looking forward to see her try Tybalt one more time, I also like the twist of having Andou himself play Romeo, it will be great to watch.
Sep 18, 2021 1:50 PM

May 2021
It was a nice episode that resemble the general feeling of the series. I just wanted to say that I couldnt but hold my laugh at that boat lmao why would they show it like that

Sep 18, 2021 2:08 PM

Apr 2018
AHHH cliffhanger!

Anyway, pretty good episode. The voice acting was top notch this episode. Seriously loved Sawa's tybalt performance. Excellent but Sarase will probably top her. A flashback inbetween and seems like we'll be seeing her performance in the final episode together with the sensei.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 18, 2021 2:27 PM
Mar 2021
Good for Aya, atleast Ai has a worth rival right now. For Aya's flashback, it was really good but ended up as friendzone. All girls wanted to go out with her if they were a guy, meanwhile the guy was just thinking her as friend lol. Sarasa x Akiya were into couple for the real.

The romance in this episode feels so mature and real than i thought. I can't believe many people still understimate this gems.

Damn Andou sensei, you basically have Sarasa as your favorite student right now. You want to make her the best one, i see. I forgot Sawa's performance was goosebumps to me, so Sarasa will do better than this i hope.
Sep 18, 2021 2:52 PM
Mar 2021
I loved this episode! Ayada singing as Julieta gave me chills, I don’t want this series to end 💔
Sep 18, 2021 5:01 PM

Oct 2017
I was looking forward to seeing Sarasa's Tybalt interpretation but it didn't happen this episode.... sad to see that next week is the last episode, i've really been enjoying this show.
Sep 18, 2021 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
Lots of interactions with characters about Romeo and Juliet.

No doubt this episode is amazing.
Sep 18, 2021 5:24 PM

Sep 2020
Ayako likes Yang and Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Fascinating.
The final episode being a self-titled episode makes me excited; I can't wait to see Sarasa and Phantom act together!
Sep 18, 2021 7:50 PM

Aug 2021
One more episode and Kageki Shoujo is over!!!

It's been a delight every episode.
Sep 18, 2021 7:52 PM

Jun 2021
Another great episode

Very interesting way of showing Aya's backstory, with the story going back and forth between the past and the present. I did like them comparing the romance of Romeo and Juliet to lesbianism.

The cliffhanger ending was great too. Cannot wait for the final episode.
Sep 18, 2021 11:07 PM

Dec 2020
sarasa and ai are our main characters and i LOVE them but i might go batshit crazy if sawa and aya aren't chosen for their roles bc damn that was great

love aya's backstory, she could've gotten a girlfriend back then but my girl was way dense💔 sawa helping her get back up was nice too

sensei playing romeo LMAO ofc, cant wait to see his acting tho
Sep 19, 2021 1:41 AM
Dec 2019
@RobertBobert: True, this happens more often recently. I think this is also a fair approach to the readers/viewers: They should not put too high of expectations into (certain) same sex relationships.
For me it is usually like this: If characters do not blush, I do not see it as romantic ( except the show says it directly). If they blush, it has to be evaluated - for example, Noe from Vanitas blushes at pretty much everything, so it is not clear at all.

I find it pretty interesting that up till now there were no clear gay characters established (maybe Ai is the most likely in the subtext, but I would consider "fear of men, therefore gay" to be also not the most innovative direction for her :D). I think this is something that many people would expect from this setting (the manga also makes some references to clear shoujo ai works like Maria-sama). Maybe because the author does not want it to be romance, as you are saying? Although it would surprise me if the author never tackles the topic of a same sex relationship at the school, if only as a side story.
SylverthasSep 19, 2021 1:46 AM
Sep 19, 2021 2:33 AM

Apr 2012
lizzziziz said:
sarasa and ai are our main characters and i LOVE them but i might go batshit crazy if sawa and aya aren't chosen for their roles bc damn that was great

love aya's backstory, she could've gotten a girlfriend back then but my girl was way dense💔 sawa helping her get back up was nice too

So if another girl says she would be dating you if she was a guy, then that makes you and her lesbian?

Sylverthas said:
@RobertBobert: True, this happens more often recently. I think this is also a fair approach to the readers/viewers: They should not put too high of expectations into (certain) same sex relationships.
For me it is usually like this: If characters do not blush, I do not see it as romantic ( except the show says it directly). If they blush, it has to be evaluated - for example, Noe from Vanitas blushes at pretty much everything, so it is not clear at all.

I find it pretty interesting that up till now there were no clear gay characters established (maybe Ai is the most likely in the subtext, but I would consider "fear of men, therefore gay" to be also not the most innovative direction for her :D). I think this is something that many people would expect from this setting (the manga also makes some references to clear shoujo ai works like Maria-sama). Maybe because the author does not want it to be romance, as you are saying? Although it would surprise me if the author never tackles the topic of a same sex relationship at the school, if only as a side story.

I think the subplot "Men hurt her so she became a lesbian" would be a real insult to a 10's shoujo. Well, MariMite is again not a gay story in the broad sense. This is a story about a friendship as strong as a platonic romance. I would call this a platonic yuri, since MariMite more or less sets the standard for such stories. Whose author, by the way, also used the tricks we are discussing, like characters suddenly saying "oh, how I wish I could fall in love sometime in the future."

But I agree that even if the author wants to deconstruct the stereotype that Takarazuka is the realm of lesbians, not even a small subplot would be a missed opportunity. Although I can think of LN about kabuki who not only literally ignores the entire homosexual history of this genre, but also makes the only female character (Ikemen girl) the love interest of one of the guys.
Sep 19, 2021 3:23 AM

Dec 2020
RobertBobert said:
lizzziziz said:

So if another girl says she would be dating you if she was a guy, then that makes you and her lesbian?

?? LMAO what? didnt her friend basically confess? it didnt just end at "if i were a guy id date you" she continued on with a "in fact, id date you right now" and aya didnt think about it seriously so she got rejected without aya knowing and cried because of that. aya noticing that while being on stage made her blush too
Sep 19, 2021 3:29 AM

Apr 2012
lizzziziz said:
RobertBobert said:

?? LMAO what? didnt her friend basically confess? it didnt just end at "if i were a guy id date you" she continued on with a "in fact, id date you right now" and aya didnt think about it seriously so she got rejected without aya knowing and cried because of that. aya noticing that while being on stage made her blush too

That is, if Aya was embarrassed about it when she realized the context, then she is a lesbian? The logic of the level "any blushing = attraction" is no less weird than "if another girl for some reason develops a crush on you, then you are a lesbian", lol.

Also, you really should learn more about trope "even the girls want her".
Sep 19, 2021 4:01 AM

Dec 2020
RobertBobert said:
lizzziziz said:

That is, if Aya was embarrassed about it when she realized the context, then she is a lesbian? The logic of the level "any blushing = attraction" is no less weird than "if another girl for some reason develops a crush on you, then you are a lesbian", lol.

i didnt say that she was attracted to girls..? and i dont think she is honestly. in my original post i said that "she could've gotten a gf" in a way as she could've got to be in a relationship bc she had a problem abt not being in one and playing a role which highlights a love relationship at the start where she was talking with sawa, but yeah i guess i worded it pretty ambiguously sorry, should've worded it better o7

@RobertBobert noo thats not what im saying😭😭 i just said that i dony think she(aya) is gay, the friend probably is the ship is cute but idrc abt them my original comment was just a light hearted thing i poked at
lizzzizizSep 19, 2021 5:15 AM
Sep 19, 2021 4:06 AM

Apr 2012
lizzziziz said:
RobertBobert said:

i didnt say that she was attracted to girls..? and i dont think she is honestly. in my original post i said that "she could've gotten a gf" in a way as she could've got to be in a relationship bc she had a problem abt not being in one and playing a role which highlights a love relationship at the start where she was talking with sawa, but yeah i guess i worded it pretty ambiguously sorry, should've worded it better o7

So you wanted to say that she wouldn't necessarily be in a relationship, she just had the opportunity if she decided to reciprocate? I have no problem if you liked this ship, I just never understood the logic like "the character has a friend with a one-sided crush, so they are gay."
Sep 19, 2021 5:03 AM

Jun 2016
yoo this is better get seque as soon as possible !!

theatrical academy opera this so fucking coool and awesome !
Sep 19, 2021 6:10 AM

Oct 2016
I love this show so much man, it's so good. Fantastic episode! Aya's backstory was great, what's new, everyone's backstories are. Pretty sad that Aya got friendzoned really hard. Also sad for Yano that Aya didn't realize she was actually confessing, that's gotta hurt way more than being flat out rejected. I really like that sensei that's supporting Aya, it's sweet. Not as sweet as Aya's voice though, what a beautiful performance. Truly a worthy rival for Naracchi.

Something that happened when Sawa was a ballerina is probably the source of her hatred while performing, shame we won't be able to explore that yet since there's only an episode. But maybe just maybe, if we get a second season (fingers crossed), we can explore Sawa's backstory.

Sarasa and Akiya definitely likes each other, but the pressure of their families kinda makes it hard for them to be in a relationship. I like that Sarasa was the one that asked Akiya first to be in a relationship, probably because to spare Akiya the guilt of wanting to be in a relationship because Kozaburou asked him to, not of his own free will.

I really can't wait for Sarasa's performance, and Andou-sensei being Romeo makes me even more excited, what a cliffhanger.
Sep 19, 2021 10:25 PM
Dec 2019
RobertBobert said:
lizzziziz said:

So you wanted to say that she wouldn't necessarily be in a relationship, she just had the opportunity if she decided to reciprocate? I have no problem if you liked this ship, I just never understood the logic like "the character has a friend with a one-sided crush, so they are gay."
Man you are dense huh. They didn't say she was automatically gay, a man can get a boyfriend but that doesn't makes him gay. Also didn't you heard about closeted up men or women who have a heterosexual marriage just because of social pressure? And @lizzziziz WAS JOKING, it was just a joke, they didn't say Aya would become gay just because a girl confessed to her.

For real, when someone messes up with your heteronormativity organ.. huh, you just gotta put them in their goddmn place, right?
Sep 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Apr 2012
17hunter00 said:
RobertBobert said:

Man you are dense huh. They didn't say she was automatically gay, a man can get a boyfriend but that doesn't makes him gay. Also didn't you heard about closeted up men or women who have a heterosexual marriage just because of social pressure? And @lizzziziz WAS JOKING, it was just a joke, they didn't say Aya would become gay just because a girl confessed to her.

For real, when someone messes up with your heteronormativity organ.. huh, you just gotta put them in their goddmn place, right?

Nice try, man with "fuck het romance anime" on the page.
Sep 21, 2021 2:31 AM
May 2020
I always enjoy seeing backstories for each of the girls, and can't wait to see Sarasa's preformance next ep.
Sep 21, 2021 6:28 AM

Oct 2008
Akiya so lucky he doesn't even need to confess to Sarasa!
Ayako shines this episode! she nailed it!
5/5.

Sep 21, 2021 6:54 PM

Feb 2020
Bahahahah this ep gave me some lovely flashbacks to my experiences with oblivious straight girls
Sep 21, 2021 8:25 PM

Apr 2012
ponpokorin said:
Bahahahah this ep gave me some lovely flashbacks to my experiences with oblivious straight girls

Have you read the Girlfriends manga? Everyone praises this manga for its quality portrayal of the similarity of lesbian attraction to platonic intimacy between girls, but continues to complain that straight girls do not notice their flirting or confuse someone's friendship with romance. I've always found it pretty funny.
Sep 21, 2021 8:30 PM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
ponpokorin said:

Have you read the Girlfriends manga? Everyone praises this manga for its quality portrayal of the similarity of lesbian attraction to platonic intimacy between girls, but continues to complain that straight girls do not notice their flirting or confuse someone's friendship with romance. I've always found it pretty funny.

Haven't, but that sounds interesting. Might check it out. Trying to make the moves on a girl can be a very frustrating experience lol
Sep 21, 2021 8:39 PM

Apr 2012
ponpokorin said:
RobertBobert said:

Haven't, but that sounds interesting. Might check it out. Trying to make the moves on a girl can be a very frustrating experience lol

Well, I won't say that I have no complaints about this manga (the author was clearly salty due to heterosexual relationships), but I cannot but praise this manga for even better exploration of the romantic friendship of two girls than Bloom into you.
Sep 22, 2021 6:41 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ahh it's so hard not to root for a lot of these girls. Go, Ayako, go!

I honestly really appreciate this anime. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I haven't been disappointed at all from episode 1 to episode 12. We have one more episode, and I hope it doesn't bomb or anything. I've definitely been scarred by a series that was all fine until the last episode before, but I also have quite a bit of faith in the writers at this point. Sure, there was maybe one thing I rose a brow at, but it's fine. It might not sound genuine when I say I'll keep my expectations low since I just hyped the previous episodes so much, but I feel like it'll be really hard to mess anything up at this point. Great work, Kageki Shoujo.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 22, 2021 10:14 PM

Jul 2016
Andou-sensei sure loves to draw attention, huh? Looking forward to seeing how Sarasa's Tybalt will treat his Romeo now.

Another excellent episode. Aya did fantastic and I absolutely loved her singing. Onodera-sensei's reactions were practically mine xD Not to mention it was pretty cute when she finally realized her old female classmate was actually hitting on her.

On the other hand, Sugimoto portraying an extremely angered Tybalt sure was quite impressive as well. Doubt Sarasa will go for this same angle tho.
Anyways, I couldn't be more excited for her performance now.
Sep 25, 2021 1:27 PM

Jan 2020
Not the Legends of the Galactic Heroes reference, please!!! This anime knows how to win my heart.

Andou-sensei playing Romeo? I don't know what to expect, but I feel like he's somehow helping Sarasa and giving her a "rival" she can hate, though hate is a string word for Sarasa.

Again, a good episode with a heartwarming backstory. I enjoyed this episode thoroughly.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kageki Shoujo!! Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

43 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 11, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Kageki Shoujo!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

112 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 10, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Kageki Shoujo!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2021

148 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 10, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Kageki Shoujo!! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2021

90 by Shaka-bun »»
Feb 10, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Kageki Shoujo!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

102 by mintmin »»
Jan 15, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.