Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
May 22, 2021 9:29 AM
Oct 2012
I binged everything from higurashi s1 until this and I have to say this one was really brutal, even more so than the original s1 of Higurashi anime; Though to be honest I enjoyed this more because there aren't a lot of moe fanservices like the original s1 anime but I'll put this with 8/10 for now, because some scenes felt rushed to me.

Also, the seiyuus (or maybe thanks to the current studio?) had GREAT improvement over their voice acting. I always felt Satoko's voice was weirdly desynced with her animated character at DEEN's Higurashi but I feel nothing of that sort from this new Higurashi. Same goes with Keiichi, he sounds more natural here to the point that I even thought it was Kirito's seiyuu instead when I watched this for the first time. Rika's voice also sounded better and more natural when she switched her 'serious' and 'childish' mode.
May 22, 2021 12:15 PM
Mar 2021
First time watching higurashi and absolutely loving it ^^
May 22, 2021 8:41 PM

Oct 2020
PinkShibaInu said:
Mist878 said:
A little girl trying to save her friends from a parasite conspiracy and child abuse > Thirsty boi trying to win affection of girl he just met any day

Satoko is a selfish brat who nearly drove her brother insane by emptying her fortitude tank into him. She never changed; her circumstances just did. What baffles me is how Rukia could abandon her like that and try to blame Satoko for, "Declining her help." THAT seemed uncharacteristic for a girl who spent 100 years trying to save her friends from death...

To be fair (not to spoil Re:Zero) Subaru starts at a very low point as a character so that his character arc would have payoffs over time.

Satoko did better herself as a person... in some arcs where she was killed off lol. Unfortunately the Matsuribayashi-hen Satoko apparently never learned a damn thing. Which is concerning and almost inconsistent as everyone else seems to learn from the past such as Keiichi or Shion. Gou Satoko also saw Rika's entire 100 years sooo she's more than responsible for her actions. It's still a bit unbelievable she'd just willingly screw over her friends so strongly.

As for Rika I imagine Saikoroshi-hen was meant to explain Rika's actions in Gou as it takes place technically before the new series. It's just a shame most people don't know of Saikoroshi-hen if they're anime-only. Anyway Rika is explained as a bratty princess who doesn't really care about her friends, she only cares to have them or use them. Rika also comes off as obsessed with chasing her dreams, rejecting Saikoroshi-hen's world. Seeing how Gou paints her as a snobby princess at St. Lucia that's how it looks like anyway. So Rika didn't learn from her flaw either apparently.

Really 0_0? I never got that from Rika, but then again, I'm just a dirty anime watcher. She always went above and beyond to make sure her friends had a better future, at least in the anime. The girl fought to make sure not only did all her friends live, but that they had decent futures as a result. A little selfishness is part of human nature and par for the course.

Now for Satoko... she treated her older brother like garbage, crying on his shoulder for every little problem without thinking of his feelings, and then there was an arc where she tried to kill Keichi by knocking him off a bridge without giving him a chance to explain himself (again, this is what I saw in the anime). There are even hints she's going to do something horrible to her uncle in the next season after his face-turn in this one (I still think he might have it coming, even with a face-turn...) I was just never a fan of Satoko, so I completely see it in her behavior to become an evil witch while Rukia was generally a good one. Satoko and Shion have always been some of the worst-meaning protagonists in Higurashi who contribute more to bad endings than to hopeful ones, which is ironic considering their connection.
May 23, 2021 1:00 AM

Aug 2009
Mist878 said:
PinkShibaInu said:

To be fair (not to spoil Re:Zero) Subaru starts at a very low point as a character so that his character arc would have payoffs over time.

Satoko did better herself as a person... in some arcs where she was killed off lol. Unfortunately the Matsuribayashi-hen Satoko apparently never learned a damn thing. Which is concerning and almost inconsistent as everyone else seems to learn from the past such as Keiichi or Shion. Gou Satoko also saw Rika's entire 100 years sooo she's more than responsible for her actions. It's still a bit unbelievable she'd just willingly screw over her friends so strongly.

As for Rika I imagine Saikoroshi-hen was meant to explain Rika's actions in Gou as it takes place technically before the new series. It's just a shame most people don't know of Saikoroshi-hen if they're anime-only. Anyway Rika is explained as a bratty princess who doesn't really care about her friends, she only cares to have them or use them. Rika also comes off as obsessed with chasing her dreams, rejecting Saikoroshi-hen's world. Seeing how Gou paints her as a snobby princess at St. Lucia that's how it looks like anyway. So Rika didn't learn from her flaw either apparently.

Really 0_0? I never got that from Rika, but then again, I'm just a dirty anime watcher. She always went above and beyond to make sure her friends had a better future, at least in the anime. The girl fought to make sure not only did all her friends live, but that they had decent futures as a result. A little selfishness is part of human nature and par for the course.

Now for Satoko... she treated her older brother like garbage, crying on his shoulder for every little problem without thinking of his feelings, and then there was an arc where she tried to kill Keichi by knocking him off a bridge without giving him a chance to explain himself (again, this is what I saw in the anime). There are even hints she's going to do something horrible to her uncle in the next season after his face-turn in this one (I still think he might have it coming, even with a face-turn...) I was just never a fan of Satoko, so I completely see it in her behavior to become an evil witch while Rukia was generally a good one. Satoko and Shion have always been some of the worst-meaning protagonists in Higurashi who contribute more to bad endings than to hopeful ones, which is ironic considering their connection.

It is important to note that both Shion and Satoko only did those things because the parasites drove them paranoid in the original.
The same goes for Keichi, Rena etc.
Satoko doesnt push Keichi because she is a brat but because the syndrome has driven her(and Keichi) to the edge and she cant trust anyone anymore.
And she was 10 years old when Satoshi was around, it made sense to depend heavily on him as the only family that didnt abuse her. Would not call her a brat for that

Now Gou came and turned her into a psychopathetic brat with magical powers.
May 24, 2021 4:27 PM

Oct 2020
ssjokg said:
Mist878 said:

It is important to note that both Shion and Satoko only did those things because the parasites drove them paranoid in the original.
The same goes for Keichi, Rena etc.
Satoko doesnt push Keichi because she is a brat but because the syndrome has driven her(and Keichi) to the edge and she cant trust anyone anymore.
And she was 10 years old when Satoshi was around, it made sense to depend heavily on him as the only family that didnt abuse her. Would not call her a brat for that

Agree to disagree. She relied on her brother TOO much (The scene when she dropped her plate and was sobbing until he got another one hurt my soul for that boy. He had no peace even away from home thanks to her). As an older brother myself, I sympathized with his predicament, so I'm a little bias. I'm Team Rena anyway, so agree to disagree. She's probably not as bad as I perceive her, given my personal bias. That might change after she goes full Kevin from Home Alone/Saw next season though.
Jun 3, 2021 9:28 AM

Aug 2013
Gotta say that the first part of the show was pretty forgettable and the only one things that I remember were Ooishi going crazy and Keichi killing everyone in the restaurant. Second part was great though, I always thought that Satoko deserved more character development in the original Higurashi.
Jun 3, 2021 9:42 AM

Jul 2016
ssjokg said:

Typical inability to understand psychopathy from you aside, why is Satoko's insanity a turn-off for you while the other Hinamizawa club members from the OG get a pass?
Jun 3, 2021 9:49 AM

Jul 2016
PinkShibaInu said:

Gou Satoko also saw Rika's entire 100 years sooo she's more than responsible for her actions. It's still a bit unbelievable she'd just willingly screw over her friends so strongly.

Given what we've seen in Satokowashi-hen, her family history, her established "hands-on" approach to games, and the Hinamizawa club's philosophy, I think it's completely believable that she'd willingly screw over her friends so strongly. The fact that Satoko put herself through 100 years of watching Rika suffer world after world if anything makes it even MORE believable considering how she views the "copies" of her friends across shards.
Jun 8, 2021 12:15 PM

Nov 2016
These last couple of episodes were interesting again, but overall the weakest Higurashi season to me. This got nothing on OG Deen in terms of style and atmosohere.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 11, 2021 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
This season was a gargantuan mess. An epic and entertaining trainwreck from start to finish, as the show ruins so many elements and mysteries and introduces awful ones, particularly due to the rushed and sloppy buildup and questionable twists along the way. Plus, the cast had none of that closeness that was on display when I played the VN for the past few weeks and hell, everyone but Rika and Satoko were painfully forgettable. Just a terrible show with not many positives to help recover some ounce of credibility. I'm a Ryukishi07 fan myself for Umineko exclusively, but while I rate the trolling and unconventional approach to get the fans talking and theorizing rather than a copycat reboot, the lack of cohesive and well executed writing and pacing of this series did not impress me one bit. What a shame.
Jun 16, 2021 4:10 AM
May 2021
Rinkusan said:
PinkShibaInu said:

Gou Satoko also saw Rika's entire 100 years sooo she's more than responsible for her actions. It's still a bit unbelievable she'd just willingly screw over her friends so strongly.

Given what we've seen in Satokowashi-hen, her family history, her established "hands-on" approach to games, and the Hinamizawa club's philosophy, I think it's completely believable that she'd willingly screw over her friends so strongly. The fact that Satoko put herself through 100 years of watching Rika suffer world after world if anything makes it even MORE believable considering how she views the "copies" of her friends across shards.

Satoko is the one character in the series who takes the longest time to understand her redeeming qualities, because of this people such as yourself immediately dismiss them and only focus on her negatives. She's bratty, she's immature, she's selfish, OKAY sure. Yet her primary arcs in the original always showed that beneath that she could be just as selfless, caring, and kind as Rika.

That's just it. Both of them should ALREADY know better. Gou and Sotsu are feeling redundant if the whole point is to prove some kind of "they had a lot more learning to do." Not only are they feeling redundant but they're ultimately feeling forced if the writing hasn't made it entirely believable that Rika would be so shallow or that Satoko would blatantly ignore Eua's comment about there being consequences. They're both so stupid it's truly unbelievable.

Both Rika and Satoko all the way through the visual novels, the manga, the anime, WHATEVER should not have lead up to this point just because "people change." Don't just say it, SHOW IT. I've rewatched Gou enough to still be left feeling unsatisfied with Satoko's motives for treating this like this is a game. It's so stupid I've already convinced myself months ago I'll never take Higurashi seriously ever again.
Jun 17, 2021 5:30 PM

Jul 2016
PinkShibaInu said:
Rinkusan said:

Satoko is the one character in the series who takes the longest time to understand her redeeming qualities, because of this people such as yourself immediately dismiss them and only focus on her negatives. She's bratty, she's immature, she's selfish, OKAY sure. Yet her primary arcs in the original always showed that beneath that she could be just as selfless, caring, and kind as Rika.

That's just it. Both of them should ALREADY know better. Gou and Sotsu are feeling redundant if the whole point is to prove some kind of "they had a lot more learning to do." Not only are they feeling redundant but they're ultimately feeling forced if the writing hasn't made it entirely believable that Rika would be so shallow or that Satoko would blatantly ignore Eua's comment about there being consequences. They're both so stupid it's truly unbelievable.

Both Rika and Satoko all the way through the visual novels, the manga, the anime, WHATEVER should not have lead up to this point just because "people change." Don't just say it, SHOW IT. I've rewatched Gou enough to still be left feeling unsatisfied with Satoko's motives for treating this like this is a game. It's so stupid I've already convinced myself months ago I'll never take Higurashi seriously ever again.

Please go ahead and quote exactly where I "only focus on her negatives" and "immediately dismiss" her positive traits. I'm literally making the argument that her traits, ESPECIALLY the positive ones, established in the OG were warped into the overly-obsessed and abusive Satoko we see in Gou in a way that makes perfect sense. It's interesting to see a misinterpretation of my comments in the other direction since historically, my comments in these forums were misinterpreted as a moral defense of Satoko as a character.

I don't see anything shallow or stupid at all about their motive or actions; I also don't know what you're referring to regarding Eua's comment. They ABSOLUTELY "had a lot more learning to do" because friendships are very complicated and dynamic. The OG explores how strong and supportive a friendship can be. Gou explores the opposite: how fragile and toxic a friendship can be. You can be friends with someone without understanding them, so even the smallest of differences or a single misunderstanding can immediately demolish a friendship, even one as close as Rika and Satoko's, under the right circumstances. What specific "stupid" action are you referring to?

I agree; it shouldn't lead up to this point IF the conflict in Gou was as straightforward and shallow as "people change". Luckily, it's NOT as straightforward and shallow. Considering the many complaints regarding Gou's mystery game in the first half and how so many people inaccurately boiled Satoko's entire motivation down to "I don't like studying", I'd say that for many viewers, there was TOO MUCH showing and not enough telling. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say that your opinion is set in stone (i.e. you weren't even looking for a discussion to begin with) with the whole "never taking Higurashi seriously ever again" comment?
Jun 23, 2021 3:06 PM

Mar 2014
That explains why Takano changes her mind about the plan. But there are still so many questions that persist from the first 3 arcs. I am very excited for sotsu (and still hoping that an umineko remake will be announced right after that).
Satoko may only be doing so well in the tests because she knows all the answers... So she still may be suffering from HS. So her viewpoint shown to the viewers may be unreliable.
She's still at it with spouting lambdadelta-esque lines.
The first cour doesn't seem so dumb now that we have some context, but the execution was still terrible. The second cour was quite good. Overall 6/10, I guess... And that might be a bit too generous considering the train wreck of the first cour.
Jun 24, 2021 9:05 AM

Oct 2014
iiKrina said:
That explains why Takano changes her mind about the plan. But there are still so many questions that persist from the first 3 arcs. I am very excited for sotsu (and still hoping that an umineko remake will be announced right after that).
Satoko may only be doing so well in the tests because she knows all the answers... So she still may be suffering from HS. So her viewpoint shown to the viewers may be unreliable.
The first cour doesn't seem so dumb now that we have some context, but the execution was still terrible. The second cour was quite good. Overall 6/10, I guess... And that might be a bit too generous considering the train wreck of the first cour.

Was quite nice to read your episodic comments on the thread and to see how the opinions changed back and forth as the episodes passed.

Also props for not disregarding the trainwreck beginning in the end.

Let's hope the next season will be consistently better than this one, let us meet in a week!
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jun 24, 2021 4:17 PM

Mar 2014
Hulio said:
iiKrina said:

Was quite nice to read your episodic comments on the thread and to see how the opinions changed back and forth as the episodes passed.

Let's hope the next season will be consistently better than this one, let us meet in a week!

Omg I didn't expect anyone to read them, thank you xD It truly was a rollercoaster...
I can't believe there's just a week to go! I'm super excited so I think I'll follow it weekly, this will be the first time for me ever. See you soon ~
Jun 26, 2021 9:53 AM
May 2021
Rinkusan said:
PinkShibaInu said:

Please go ahead and quote exactly where I "only focus on her negatives" and "immediately dismiss" her positive traits. I'm literally making the argument that her traits, ESPECIALLY the positive ones, established in the OG were warped into the overly-obsessed and abusive Satoko we see in Gou in a way that makes perfect sense. It's interesting to see a misinterpretation of my comments in the other direction since historically, my comments in these forums were misinterpreted as a moral defense of Satoko as a character.

I don't see anything shallow or stupid at all about their motive or actions; I also don't know what you're referring to regarding Eua's comment. They ABSOLUTELY "had a lot more learning to do" because friendships are very complicated and dynamic. The OG explores how strong and supportive a friendship can be. Gou explores the opposite: how fragile and toxic a friendship can be. You can be friends with someone without understanding them, so even the smallest of differences or a single misunderstanding can immediately demolish a friendship, even one as close as Rika and Satoko's, under the right circumstances. What specific "stupid" action are you referring to?

I agree; it shouldn't lead up to this point IF the conflict in Gou was as straightforward and shallow as "people change". Luckily, it's NOT as straightforward and shallow. Considering the many complaints regarding Gou's mystery game in the first half and how so many people inaccurately boiled Satoko's entire motivation down to "I don't like studying", I'd say that for many viewers, there was TOO MUCH showing and not enough telling. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say that your opinion is set in stone (i.e. you weren't even looking for a discussion to begin with) with the whole "never taking Higurashi seriously ever again" comment?

You were speaking in defense of her? Certainly fooled me. I'm used to so many people (probably a literal 100 by now) immediately dismissing everything nice about Satoko and boiling her down to only a spoiled obnoxious brat who never had redeeming qualities to begin with. A good 1/4th of reasons I see people like this show is they're invested in "that bitch getting what's coming to her."

Fragile and toxic enough for someone who was abused as a child, to abuse their supposed best friend? MURDERING their best friend? Controlling them without remorse? Having 100 years of time to rethink their actions, they're THAT obsessed about it? Someone supposedly depicted as "smart" as Satoko, is just going to let Eua use her like a dumb performance monkey? Nah get out of here with that I'm not buying this story for a second. Back during the ending I rewatched the whole show about twice, it still ends up feeling forced AF. Gotta cash in while they can.

I read the interviews and whatnot so it's plain to see this was never going to be solved with mere words or studying. Yet I can't help but feel if they're going to depict Satoko as determined enough to resolve the situation with 100+ years of killing herself, it only strengthens the idea she could've just saved 90+ years and studied anyway. She had the patience to kill herself to win a card game, to open a lock, but not just another 4 years of studying (or even cheating if it fit her character more) at St. Lucia? Uhhh OKAY. It just feels like Satoko isn't just being needlessly shallow but also being an idiot, who had possibly an infinite amount of other possibilities of dealing with her problem. But hey if she resolved things like any normal person they'd not have a new show to cash in on in the first place. I get it.

I never took Higurashi too seriously to begin with. It was always argued as just "that show where loli girls kill each other." However I used to figure it was deeper than that, but now I just can't be bothered with thinking any differently (especially after episode 16.) I'll probably genuinely forget to even watch Sotsu, I'll get to it a year from now at this rate. The director wanted this to feel more like a cheesy 80's slasher flick and he got his wish. I love cheesy 80's horror/slashers don't get me wrong but idk if Higurashi was intended to look that shallow. When the cast dies now it's more funny than anything, and that SHOULD NOT be the case.
Jun 27, 2021 12:48 AM

Oct 2016
What a great last episode, but a saddening one. Satoko went into full yandere mode.

I realized since the previous episode that Satoko's ability is more powerful than Rika. She is able to reverse time only using a finger snap. I wonder what's the consequence of using that power.

So the more times repeated, the "bad" people of Hinamizawa tend to have more "nightmares" and eventually realize their wrongdoings.

This episode explained why Miyo confessed her sins in Nekogoroshi arc. Similar to Teppei, her nightmares warned her of the oncoming future, made her read Hifumi's letter, and helped her deciding to abort the plan. Again, I was brought to tears by this. :'(

This episode also explained how random people of Hinamizawa, namely Ooishi, Akasaka, Akane, and Kimiyoshi develop terminal stage of Hinamizawa Syndrome.

I guess the next season, Higurashi Sotsu, will continue Rika's confrontation with Satoko using the yellow surprise box. Wow, I can't wait for July to come!

iiKrina said:
Hulio said:

Omg I didn't expect anyone to read them, thank you xD It truly was a rollercoaster...
I can't believe there's just a week to go! I'm super excited so I think I'll follow it weekly, this will be the first time for me ever. See you soon ~

Hey, I also read most of your comments, since I usually commented below you.

Looking at your profile picture and signature, I take it that you already finished Umineko, or maybe even more works from Ryukishi07. I planned to read Umineko soon.
Jun 27, 2021 9:30 AM

Mar 2014
flashholter said:
What a great last episode, but a saddening one. Satoko went into full yandere mode.

I realized since the previous episode that Satoko's ability is more powerful than Rika. She is able to reverse time only using a finger snap. I wonder what's the consequence of using that power.

So the more times repeated, the "bad" people of Hinamizawa tend to have more "nightmares" and eventually realize their wrongdoings.

This episode explained why Miyo confessed her sins in Nekogoroshi arc. Similar to Teppei, her nightmares warned her of the oncoming future, made her read Hifumi's letter, and helped her deciding to abort the plan. Again, I was brought to tears by this. :'(

This episode also explained how random people of Hinamizawa, namely Ooishi, Akasaka, Akane, and Kimiyoshi develop terminal stage of Hinamizawa Syndrome.

I guess the next season, Higurashi Sotsu, will continue Rika's confrontation with Satoko using the yellow surprise box. Wow, I can't wait for July to come!

iiKrina said:

Hey, I also read most of your comments, since I usually commented below you.

Looking at your profile picture and signature, I take it that you already finished Umineko, or maybe even more works from Ryukishi07. I planned to read Umineko soon.

Aw thank you :')
Yeah I finished it in late 2014 and it has been my favourite franchise ever since. So seeing bits of it popping up in Gou has been super exciting. I would definitely recommend you read it (with PS3 sprites, or even the old ones, fuck the steam ones lol). But first I would highly recommend that you finish the Higurashi OG anime, you haven't seen the 2nd season yet (Higurashi Kai), which is arguably more important for Gou than the 2006 Higurashi since that's the one that explains everything to do with Rika, Hanyuu, Takano and the hopping between worlds/fragments. Have fun!
Jun 27, 2021 4:29 PM

Oct 2016
iiKrina said:
Yeah I finished it in late 2014 and it has been my favourite franchise ever since. So seeing bits of it popping up in Gou has been super exciting. I would definitely recommend you read it (with PS3 sprites, or even the old ones, fuck the steam ones lol). But first I would highly recommend that you finish the Higurashi OG anime, you haven't seen the 2nd season yet (Higurashi Kai), which is arguably more important for Gou than the 2006 Higurashi since that's the one that explains everything to do with Rika, Hanyuu, Takano and the hopping between worlds/fragments. Have fun!

Definitely! Many people also say that Umineko is better. It's been sitting in my steam wishlist, and I'll buy it sooner since you recommend it. XD

Ah, you saw my anime list, hehe... True. I haven't watched Kai, but I already finished the whole Higurashi visual/sound novel from Onikakushi to Matsuribayashi, so I pretty much know about the whole picture of Higurashi and what would happen in Kai.

I still want to watch it in the future, though. I'd love to watch how the story in the novel get animated. Some of the scenes in Kai are shown here in Gou, like the one when Keiichi remembered his memories from the different worlds and when the club members confronted Takano in the mountain forest. And apparently there is this new arc in Kai that is not in the novel, the Yakusamashi arc. If only it's available on Netflix, I would have already watched it by now. So now I'm waiting for it to be available on Netflix, if that would ever happen.

I started the Higurashi franchise pretty recently though, in March 2020, and it's already my favorite series. I played it on Steam, but I didn't install any mods for the sprites, VAs, BGMs, or background pics. The reason I didn't do so mainly because I'm a vanilla type person that tend to play games the way they are presented. The steam sprites are not so bad in my opinion. I sometimes switch the sprites between the steam ver. and the original ver. back and forth.
Jun 29, 2021 11:50 AM

Mar 2014
flashholter said:
iiKrina said:

Definitely! Many people also say that Umineko is better. It's been sitting in my steam wishlist, and I'll buy it sooner since you recommend it. XD

Ah, you saw my anime list, hehe... True. I haven't watched Kai, but I already finished the whole Higurashi visual/sound novel from Onikakushi to Matsuribayashi, so I pretty much know about the whole picture of Higurashi and what would happen in Kai.

I still want to watch it in the future, though. I'd love to watch how the story in the novel get animated. Some of the scenes in Kai are shown here in Gou, like the one when Keiichi remembered his memories from the different worlds and when the club members confronted Takano in the mountain forest. And apparently there is this new arc in Kai that is not in the novel, the Yakusamashi arc. If only it's available on Netflix, I would have already watched it by now. So now I'm waiting for it to be available on Netflix, if that would ever happen.

I started the Higurashi franchise pretty recently though, in March 2020, and it's already my favorite series. I played it on Steam, but I didn't install any mods for the sprites, VAs, BGMs, or background pics. The reason I didn't do so mainly because I'm a vanilla type person that tend to play games the way they are presented. The steam sprites are not so bad in my opinion. I sometimes switch the sprites between the steam ver. and the original ver. back and forth.

Nooo omg please don't read umineko on steam, like I said the steam sprites are the worst by far, and the steam version doesn't even include the voice patch... It's horrific. Just download the PS3 version + voices, please? You can download it for free and it's considered the best version by pretty much everyone D: I'm getting upset just by the thought of you experiencing it with ugly sprites and no voice patch... Like why...

Oh okay, I'm glad you've read the higurashi VN. The anime is still a good adaptation imo and Kai's art/animation is much better than season 1's so it's really great. Everything shown in Gou was done with so much more detail and emotion in Kai... It's a shame how much they glossed over everything. Gou is definitely not first timer friendly, I hate that it was advertised as such. Netflix...? Such normie methods hahaha do you not use 9anime and stuff like that? If it still isn't on there 14 years after it came out idk if it ever will be xD

Bro you say you wanna read it the vanilla way but you're not reading the original, you're reading the absolute newest version... Which is the most highly modified version of them all... I have no words D:

Jun 29, 2021 4:37 PM

Oct 2016
iiKrina said:
Nooo omg please don't read umineko on steam, like I said the steam sprites are the worst by far, and the steam version doesn't even include the voice patch... It's horrific. Just download the PS3 version + voices, please? You can download it for free and it's considered the best version by pretty much everyone D: I'm getting upset just by the thought of you experiencing it with ugly sprites and no voice patch... Like why...

Oh okay, I'm glad you've read the higurashi VN. The anime is still a good adaptation imo and Kai's art/animation is much better than season 1's so it's really great. Everything shown in Gou was done with so much more detail and emotion in Kai... It's a shame how much they glossed over everything. Gou is definitely not first timer friendly, I hate that it was advertised as such. Netflix...? Such normie methods hahaha do you not use 9anime and stuff like that? If it still isn't on there 14 years after it came out idk if it ever will be xD

Bro you say you wanna read it the vanilla way but you're not reading the original, you're reading the absolute newest version... Which is the most highly modified version of them all... I have no words D:

Ahaha... The way you put it, it's like I'm a bad guy. Heck, even I feel like a criminal now.

I know very well the versions of higurashi and umineko. There's the original version with original sprites, bgm/sounds, and background. Then there's the PS3 version with PS3 sprites and background, plus original bgm/sounds and voice actings. Finally, the "ugly" steam/mangagamer version with its ugly sprites and horrible bgm/sounds, though in steam you can switch the sprites to original version. Too bad, I already finished the Higurashi VN steam version, and its sprites/bgm/sounds stick to my memory. Besides originality, I don't really like the hassle of downloading and installing patches. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll think about installing patches when I buy Umineko later.

Sorry for being a normie. I watched anime in Netflix because my big family subscribes to it. I used to watch anime in sites like 9anime and the likes, but not anymore. In short, as far as I know, that's not a good way to watch anime. Yes, they have all titles available, but they give little to none revenue to anime producers. I watch anime from official licensors like Crunchyroll, Muse Asia, Ani-One. Funimation looks like a good licensor, but it's not available in my country. Even Crunchyroll doesn't give me most popular titles due to region limitation. If I can't watch anime through official channels, then I choose not to watch anime at all. I hope you can understand.
Jul 1, 2021 12:35 PM

Mar 2014
flashholter said:
iiKrina said:

Ahaha... The way you put it, it's like I'm a bad guy. Heck, even I feel like a criminal now.

I know very well the versions of higurashi and umineko. There's the original version with original sprites, bgm/sounds, and background. Then there's the PS3 version with PS3 sprites and background, plus original bgm/sounds and voice actings. Finally, the "ugly" steam/mangagamer version with its ugly sprites and horrible bgm/sounds, though in steam you can switch the sprites to original version. Too bad, I already finished the Higurashi VN steam version, and its sprites/bgm/sounds stick to my memory. Besides originality, I don't really like the hassle of downloading and installing patches. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll think about installing patches when I buy Umineko later.

Sorry for being a normie. I watched anime in Netflix because my big family subscribes to it. I used to watch anime in sites like 9anime and the likes, but not anymore. In short, as far as I know, that's not a good way to watch anime. Yes, they have all titles available, but they give little to none revenue to anime producers. I watch anime from official licensors like Crunchyroll, Muse Asia, Ani-One. Funimation looks like a good licensor, but it's not available in my country. Even Crunchyroll doesn't give me most popular titles due to region limitation. If I can't watch anime through official channels, then I choose not to watch anime at all. I hope you can understand.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to be so hard on you, I just feel quite strongly about it I guess. I think the ~experience~ is very important :p
As an individual you shouldn't have to feel the need to be personally responsible for financially supporting large corporations... So if it's available online for free I don't see why not (: But I respect your stance I guess
Jul 2, 2021 8:50 PM

Oct 2016
iiKrina said:
Sorry dude, I didn't mean to be so hard on you, I just feel quite strongly about it I guess. I think the ~experience~ is very important :p
As an individual you shouldn't have to feel the need to be personally responsible for financially supporting large corporations... So if it's available online for free I don't see why not (: But I respect your stance I guess
Nah, it's ok. Don't feel bad about it. If it's anything, I should be grateful. Before, I hadn't thought much about the patch, but now I'm curious myself.

Actually I started watching anime from those free anime sites. They're an important part of what make me who I am today. Anime used to to be scarce in my country, so at that time, free anime sites are the way to go. The same goes with video games. I used to buy pirated video games, a lot. Now I'm clean, or at least I'm trying to be.
Jul 3, 2021 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
satoko's justified anguish is easily comparable to the pain of tommy wiseau from the room because all around him were familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces too.
Jul 6, 2021 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
This felt more like a Lambdadelta origin story than a sequel to Higurashi. And as some have pointed out, Rika and Satoko in particular seem to be acting very out of character. I guess that's to be expected when trying to force Satoko into her "witchsona" by creating new drama between nearly 20 year old characters.
Stilll, it was really interesting, though I wish the first 15 episodes didn't drag on for so long.
I sure didn't expect to get hooked in the very end, I'm looking forward to next season.
ZetsumuJul 6, 2021 7:42 PM
Jul 11, 2021 11:21 PM

Jul 2016
PinkShibaInu said:
Rinkusan said:

You were speaking in defense of her? Certainly fooled me. I'm used to so many people (probably a literal 100 by now) immediately dismissing everything nice about Satoko and boiling her down to only a spoiled obnoxious brat who never had redeeming qualities to begin with. A good 1/4th of reasons I see people like this show is they're invested in "that bitch getting what's coming to her."

Fragile and toxic enough for someone who was abused as a child, to abuse their supposed best friend? MURDERING their best friend? Controlling them without remorse? Having 100 years of time to rethink their actions, they're THAT obsessed about it? Someone supposedly depicted as "smart" as Satoko, is just going to let Eua use her like a dumb performance monkey? Nah get out of here with that I'm not buying this story for a second. Back during the ending I rewatched the whole show about twice, it still ends up feeling forced AF. Gotta cash in while they can.

I read the interviews and whatnot so it's plain to see this was never going to be solved with mere words or studying. Yet I can't help but feel if they're going to depict Satoko as determined enough to resolve the situation with 100+ years of killing herself, it only strengthens the idea she could've just saved 90+ years and studied anyway. She had the patience to kill herself to win a card game, to open a lock, but not just another 4 years of studying (or even cheating if it fit her character more) at St. Lucia? Uhhh OKAY. It just feels like Satoko isn't just being needlessly shallow but also being an idiot, who had possibly an infinite amount of other possibilities of dealing with her problem. But hey if she resolved things like any normal person they'd not have a new show to cash in on in the first place. I get it.

I never took Higurashi too seriously to begin with. It was always argued as just "that show where loli girls kill each other." However I used to figure it was deeper than that, but now I just can't be bothered with thinking any differently (especially after episode 16.) I'll probably genuinely forget to even watch Sotsu, I'll get to it a year from now at this rate. The director wanted this to feel more like a cheesy 80's slasher flick and he got his wish. I love cheesy 80's horror/slashers don't get me wrong but idk if Higurashi was intended to look that shallow. When the cast dies now it's more funny than anything, and that SHOULD NOT be the case.

"You were speaking in defense of her? Certainly fooled me."

No, I said "misinterpret". What I'm saying is that the interpretations that I'm defending Satoko's morals AND that I'm bashing Satoko as a "bad character" are both wrong. But if you mean that I'm defending her as a well-written character, then yes, absolutely.

"Fragile and toxic enough for someone who was abused as a child, to abuse their supposed best friend?"

Yep; being possessive is a thing in any type of relationship. Though boiling the reason for her abuse of Rika down to "she was abused as a child" is imo doing Satoko a huge disservice as a character, especially since Satokowashi-hen shows the unfortunate misunderstandings and slip-ups from both characters that eventually led Satoko down this path of lunacy.

"Someone supposedly depicted as "smart" as Satoko, is just going to let Eua use her like a dumb performance monkey?"

Not at all; what about this situation is "performance monkey" material? Satoko's acting of her own free will here, and there aren't exactly many - if any - strings attached to accepting Eua's offer. Eua's definitely enabling Satoko's corruption, but the only one doing the corruption is Satoko herself.

"Controlling them without remorse?"

Yep. Happens all the time; there's obviously more to it than just "controlling", but it's a common theme in toxic relationships in general, whether it's familial, romantic, or friendly relationship.

"Yet I can't help but feel if they're going to depict Satoko as determined enough to resolve the situation with 100+ years of killing herself"

What? Satoko did not kill herself for 100+ years. She watched Rika's 100+ year-long journey, but she didn't literally live it. The whole point of her watching Rika's journey was to understand Rika more and make sense of Rika's desire to get the hell out of Hinamizawa.

"it only strengthens the idea she could've just saved 90+ years and studied anyway"

This is the "Satoko doesn't like to study" take all over again. Satoko's distaste of studying is a SMALL, TRIVIAL part of her motivation, and disliking studying certainly isn't one of her reasons for torturing Rika. Satokowashi-hen makes it pretty clear that the misunderstanding AKA Rika's "betrayal" was the trigger. The major events in this arc, from:
- the opening scenes where the club starts to fall apart when Mion leaves to
- Rika looking down on her despite Satoko's attempt at being open and honest (the chandelier scene) to
- the elitist environment of St. Lucia to
- being so much of an outcast that she's literally jailed to
- Satoko giving Rika the option to chase her dream and move on without Satoko before Rika refuses to let go of either (the truck scene)
were the things that escalated her descent into insanity and decision to abuse Rika (which, from her perspective, is an attempt to repair their long-lost friendship). There's nothing shallow about a well-written, lovably haughty character like Satoko twisting her values shared by everyone in the Hinamizawa club into something horrific and similar to that of her uncle.

"but not just another 4 years of studying"

Studying for another 4 years would not fix her problem as I explained above.

"The director wanted this to feel more like a cheesy 80's slasher flick and he got his wish."

I do prefer the warped aesthetic of the OG, but I personally don't see anything wrong with having a slasher-flick aesthetic; that's just personal taste. With that said, what does the tone and aesthetic of Gou have anything to do with what we were just talking about (the character that is Satoko)?
Jul 14, 2021 2:49 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Ended up enjoying the direction this is going for, but there were quite some questionable episodes here and there, like ep16 I believe, that amount of gore was just overdoing it.

Dunno what people were expecting for a sequel of S2, but this definitely has potential, that said, this could have been prevented if only Satoko had taken Rika's help, outside that, fate really has a funny way of doing things.

Positively surprised in the end, far from how good S2 was, it was still better than the mess that was S1 poor adaptation.

8.3/10= 8

lovoss said:
First time watching Higurashi and absolutely loving it ^^

Hopefully, you were joking, because this would be a very BAD first choice of entry in the series.
Even as a joke, it was in poor taste to say that newcomers could start with this Ryukishi07 shoot himself in the foot if you ask me.
S1 + S2 ARE MANDATORY!
PlaycoolJul 14, 2021 2:52 PM
Sep 28, 2021 3:06 AM
Feb 2018
Really liked this anime... I do agree that the originals were far better but it is definitely underrated.... better than all those <harem / shonen/ isekai / romance with love pentagons regular romance are fine ig> any fking day...

anyways all the OGs were 10/10, this is imo 9/10...
Oct 10, 2021 4:54 PM

Jan 2013
It ended up being a lot better than I expected, the first half had me doubting but second half got a lot more interesting.
Satoko's reason to loop is one of the worst excuses to use it but I'm along for the ride, I really hope she'll come to emphatize with Rika but I doubt it.

The story wasn't as strong as the original 2 seasons which I thought had some amazing writing but still entertaining.
8/10
Dec 6, 2021 9:34 PM

Jun 2017
No way! That was such a cliffhanger! I guess I'll have to wait until next season. Damn! Satoko has finally lost her marbles. 😱😱

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Dec 24, 2021 8:53 PM

Nov 2010
Wow, Satoko really used that looping power to its max potential.

My thoughts was right. There's a hidden flag to beat and that was Satoko all along. I thought she was being used by Oyashiro, instead she became its new embodiment. How can Rika beat someone who can never die and can just repeat events to her advantage on a whim.

Satoko has become a sociopath. The culmination of all the abuse she experienced, then the thought of being separated from Rika was the tipping point. Now she's willing to stoop to such a level for something petty. Truly a criminal mind. I can sympathize since I definitely would've done the same. hehe

Miyo is such a hottie in that nurse attire. hehe

8/10
Jun 9, 2022 8:19 PM

Dec 2018
disappointing and probably an unnecessary addition. i thought s2 wrapped up perfectly.
Jul 7, 2022 6:19 PM
Mar 2022
satoko's reasons are bland. poor rika. 8/10
Jul 21, 2022 1:16 PM

Jul 2022
I mean the show was great and the animation was good. When I first began to watch this season of Higurashi, from the opening I thought that the plot would deviate a little from the previous seasons. The opening gave me more adventure vibes.

After watching all of the current Higurashi installments as of 2022, I can state that I was impressed. However, I do believe that Sotsu did mix the story up a lot more for the series. The other installments were basically repeats of each other with minor changes.

Satoko's reasons for hunting Rika were less than impressive. It really fit the edgy I am a loner and I want revenge so I must make everyone miserable mold that is common in other Shonen anime.

Gou did a good job of explaining the conflict and plot, and Sotsu was a nice cliffhanger for now until the next installment.
Show was 8/10 for me.

Miyo is hot in her nurse outfit. Great side character
ZankyousaJul 21, 2022 1:24 PM
Sep 12, 2022 10:26 AM
Jun 2020
Not what I accepted
Dec 13, 2022 9:54 PM

Aug 2014
As someone who has been watching all of Higurashi animes ever made for the first time in December 2022, I gotta say, I enjoyed Gou season 1 for what it was. It definitely adds a different spin to the anime. I dont get what the "hate" is all about (unless the hate is just because its not a remake).

But on its own, Gou season 1 is enjoyable and fine.

Only negative of Gou season 1 is that you have to watch Higurashi season 2 (Answers) before watching Gou season 1, and Higurachi Answers is a very boring and dull anime. I kinda wished that if Gou Season 1 was a sequel, that it would have only been a sequel to Higurashi season 1 (Questions).

With that said, Off to Gou season 2
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 1:49 AM
Jan 24, 2023 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
So I guess Teppei and Tanako, which are two of the most problematic people, are now under control. Though it seems like that was all Eua's doing pretty much, Satoko didn't really do much.

First half of this season was horribly boring, felt a lot like rewatching Higurashi with extra scenes. Second half was muuuuuuch more interesting and answered a lot of my questions. Definitely the best Higurashi ever was, looking forward for Sotsu now. 6/10
Feb 7, 2023 7:59 PM

Oct 2016
Gator said:
So I guess Teppei and Tanako, which are two of the most problematic people, are now under control. Though it seems like that was all Eua's doing pretty much, Satoko didn't really do much.

First half of this season was horribly boring, felt a lot like rewatching Higurashi with extra scenes. Second half was muuuuuuch more interesting and answered a lot of my questions. Definitely the best Higurashi ever was, looking forward for Sotsu now. 6/10

I don't think Eua has done anything worthwhile, except swaying Satoko of course. Teppei's behavior is mainly due to the repeating worlds, one of the so called 'miracles', while Takano's odd behavior, especially the one where she escaped together with Tomitake, has a chance of happening since the original visual novel long before Eua appeared. In some arcs, Tatarigoroshi if I remember correctly, Takano and Tomitake were missing, not dead and no body is found, because they escaped. Takano has a small chance of abandoning her Emergency Manual 34 plan in every world, same as Teppei has a small chance of returning to Hinamizawa when Rina is killed.
Feb 27, 2023 10:26 AM
Jul 2022
zakonczenie takie kurwa ze jakby mialo byc jeszcze kilka odc wiec niedlugo 2sezon i lece byuczku
Mar 14, 2023 10:32 PM
Mar 2023
one of my fav anime
Mar 28, 2023 1:11 PM
Mar 2023
Interesting premise for the entire series although the final episode could've easily been condensed into what the 2nd season dedicated itself in showing us...
Sep 21, 2023 12:16 AM
Sep 2023
Ruined Satoko and Rika
Nov 8, 2023 2:36 PM

Jun 2012
It looks to me like Satoko might have been the one creating all the bad loops for Rika.

overall i find this season interesting but at the same time hard to judge. not sure what it is but it feels so anti climax and like they are going in a wrong direction for me.

That being said i still enjoyed it a lot i mean its still higurashi but before my final score is there. i first need the answers i hope next season can satisfy me and give enough anwers.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Dec 13, 2023 6:05 PM

Jan 2020
I wish someone told me that the first 13 episodes added nothing to the story. The post-1983 story seems minimally interesting but feels like a watered down version of... what we saw in the first two seasons. Nothing like adding a forced drama between Rika and Satoko amirite?

6/10.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 17, 5:54 PM
Jan 2017
best best best best best
Mar 19, 9:57 PM
Dec 2022
UHHHHH pretty good lots of twists and turns, not as much gore as I wanted but pretty good!!
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Danpmss - Mar 11, 2021

313 by eblf2013 »»
Dec 13, 2023 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.