Forum Settings
Forums

Anime fans what makes you prefer anime over comics?

New
Feb 28, 2021 6:34 AM

Dec 2020
There is no hate to comics at all but I still think the majority of mal prefer anime over comics, if so why?

「――卿ら、私を失望させるな」

「私はすべてを愛している。ゆえにすべてを破壊する」

「総てを全力で愛したい」

Feb 28, 2021 6:37 AM

Mar 2020
i like both but one of the advantages of anime has over big two (marvel and dc) is that you have to follow only one show for most of the time to know whats going on compare to big two comics where you have to keep with 5-10 books for superman batman spider man etc.
although this is not the problem with indie comics such most of the time.
Feb 28, 2021 6:43 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Back then when I was still buy and read physical manga/comic, I prefer manga because it was cheaper, not to mention comics were generally played the story too safe, made for children unlike manga.

Same with anime and cartoon, all cartoons back then were all childish, I always felt like it's made for toddlers that I grew out of that too fast.

All of that based on my experience from what I've seen on TV (the cartoons and anime) and bookstore (comics and manga) though so in other people's case it could be different.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 28, 2021 6:45 AM

Jan 2021
because the good comics are kinda limited to marvel and dc. that shit was expensive, 20 pounds for one issue most of the time. manga and light novels were just cheaper to buy, and plus had much more variety.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 28, 2021 6:47 AM

Jun 2016
New releases don't interest me anymore. I also noticed that a lot of comic book pros act like entitled pricks.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 28, 2021 6:54 AM

May 2018
Because anime discribes everything,sadly sometime they didn't telling some part inside manga/comic.
Feb 28, 2021 6:55 AM

Aug 2019
because they are soo complex and have a lot of crossovers, I only watch movies watchmen pretty much the best one
Feb 28, 2021 7:26 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Simple coz although comic animation far fluider than anime but comic portrait are not really aesthestic like anime portrait not to mention seiyuu who really inspirit involved char even cute voice who enough hard reached by western coz difference basic genetics

Feb 28, 2021 7:43 AM

Feb 2016
Because I don't know anybody who reads comics.
その目だれの目?
Feb 28, 2021 7:51 AM

Jan 2018
Comics are milking their content to no end.
Recycling the same character in an infinite loop.

I'm also not a fan of the connected world

Batman is pretty cool but i cant take superman serious at all.
And since they exist in the same world it ruins both for me .Them playing in the same league is just really goofy.

The power levels are also often really ridiculous and goofy and explained with wannabe science that makes little to know sense.

My suspension if disbelief is not as limitless as superman's ability to hear an audio signal in space that can't even travel that distance in that time . (Nevermind it not being able to travel through space at all )

I like manga much more because 1 bad manga will never affect a good manga

All that being said the typical modern comic looks really great visually.

(I'm sure there area many great comics that have nothing to do with DC or Marvel but i wouldn't know them )
Feb 28, 2021 7:54 AM

Nov 2020
Well when I’m reading comics or watching something about hero’s I usually only watch or read the stuff I like like deathstroke, arrow and Batman and after watching and reading so much the story’s are practically the same. Villain come into town, hero try’s to defeat but gets defeated, hero thinks of a plan, go face villain, gives some random speech and defeats villain. There nothing wrong with that as action shonen are pretty much the same but it can get annoying. I still love comics but it’s usually just focus on only hero’s while anime/manga has variety like romance etc.
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Feb 28, 2021 7:56 AM

Jan 2018
SebastianConH said:
I think the main reason for this mentality is that people think in Marvel and DC when talking about comics, but that's like saying the best thing anime has to offer is just shonen. I do prefer anime but comics has some good stories as well such as:

- Y: The Last Man: In the summer of 2002, Earth is struck by a pandemic plague of unknown origin that destroyed every mammal with a Y chromosome, including spermatosa and unborn children. Referred to as "gendercide", the plague exterminated 48% of the global population, approximately 2.9 billion men.

- Maus: The main theme of Maus is the Holocaust, It's difficulties during the post traumatic stress afterward, and the father/son relationship as a result.

- 100 Bullets: The core concept of 100 Bullets is based on the question of people willing to act on the desire of violent revenge if given the means, opportunity, and a reasonable chance to succeed. Agent Graves approaces to someone who has been a victim of a terrible wrong, gives them the opportunity to take revenge by providing a handgun, 100 bullets, and documentation about the primary target responsible for their woes.

Some other interesting comicbook series that I'm to lazy to keep on writing the synopsis:

- Persepolis
- Ghost World
- Sandman
- Saga
- Sex Criminals

Can you recommend some publisher that covers those types of comics ?

My issues are also more with marvel and dc rather then with comics .

So I would give your recommendations Defitely a try
Feb 28, 2021 7:57 AM

Jul 2019
They are nothing alike. Why the comparison? :p
Life is a despicable endurance race
Feb 28, 2021 3:50 PM
Dec 2017
Its just my taste really i can't really look at anything from the western entertainment industry at all anymore to be honest.

Feb 28, 2021 4:03 PM

Jan 2021
There's definitely a place for both. Like films or a novel, they are just different mediums for storytelling. I'm personally a huge fan of Marvel and Dc and have been constantly been keeping up with recent comics, but I can see how for some, they aren't that appealing as any other subjective form of art.

Comics/manga/manhwa's whatever you want to call them are all part of the same visual literary family to me. I see them all as the same. If you want to see what comics have to offer I recommend looking into the indie scene. Western comics specifically is sadly a dying industry despite how popular its media is. Mostly because of how daunting it is to get started, the medium is amazing and to me, way more powerful than films sometimes. Similar to animation, there's really no hindrance in creative freedom, unlike a film where there's a strict budget with producers who have some control over your property. Despite how unpopular Indie western comics are, they have some of the greatest potentials for storytelling and there is a lot of amazing stuff out there. For western comics, I think if you enjoy a specific series, it's important to look at their indie work as most of the time, it's their best work. As stated previously I'm more of a Marvel and Dc reader, so I can give some suggestions if you'd like them.
Feb 28, 2021 4:10 PM

Jun 2015
I mean, same reason I dont read manga, id rather watch tv.

I mean on thumb drive or maybe stream........ and if you mean marvel dc cartoons, If available I watch that too.
Feb 28, 2021 4:10 PM

Oct 2019
Nothing, actually. I used to spend a lot of time reading Marvel and DC comics, and I used to watch every video online that ranked the best graphic novels or whatever. I have the MCU and comic book movies to thank for my love for comic books.
I started watching anime in Summer 2019, but because the world of anime and manga was so rich in itself, I practically forgot about comics. I guess I just wanted to explore something new.
Bottom line: there are amazing comics and amazing anime. They're both great mediums.
Feb 28, 2021 4:12 PM

Feb 2020
I've only mostly read Godzilla comics that were pretty bad, they just don't transition well imo, and are too short.
Feb 28, 2021 5:07 PM

Sep 2014
First, I prefer anime over manga too. But I probably prefer manga over comics. Comics are just cringe to me. Sure mangas can be too, but I think manga have just a wider base so its easier to avoid that.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 28, 2021 6:30 PM

May 2016
I like animation, I like music, and I like cinematography.

There's a lot to like about manga, but manga just isn't for me. I prefer anime.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 28, 2021 7:28 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I hate pretty much all western content tbh.

Feb 28, 2021 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
Big mainstream publishers like DC and Marvel don't appeal to me since I don't like cape stories with bloated continuities. I don't mind a DC animated series or super hero flick but I am not that invested to get into cape comics.

Of course sure i still love classic Western strips like Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes (would argue some of these help create an appreciation for SOL anime/manga) and some franchises like the Dark Horse SW run but in large I just find more long running titles that catch my eye over here. Even the Western comics that interest me are smaller indie titles. Been thinking of checking out Marvel's run on 40k but that is about it.

BilboBaggins365Feb 28, 2021 10:55 PM
Feb 28, 2021 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
the fact that comics are trash now. I prefer most old comics to most anime and manga though.
Feb 28, 2021 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
First of all the voice actors of Anime sound real while cartoons sound fake tbh
Anime has better Animation and the character design looks way better
Anime teaches you something while cartoon doesn't

Mar 1, 2021 12:38 AM

Nov 2016
I personally really love the medium as a whole and there are shows and movies like justice League the animated series and Logan that I love as much as some of my favourite animes but when it comes to the books themselves outside of some graphic novels with their self contained stories it always feel like too much of a hassle to get into them.
Mar 1, 2021 1:29 AM

Mar 2018
Based on my limited knowledge (so correct me if wrong) of western comics, Anime-manga seems to cover a much greater variety of different kinds of premises, from normal to ridiculous to more-ridiculous series. I do not see myself running out of content anytime soon.

"~and he loved to play the piano!"

Mar 1, 2021 5:30 AM

Sep 2008
I used to be a huge comic fan back in the 90s.
basically comics got laughably worse to the point they're not even worth looking at anymore.
while anime is slowly deteriorating one step at a time.
there are no modern masterpieces in comic. when was the last time we got a watchmen or killing joke?
when was the last time comics dared to be funny like lobo? unapologetic and cool?
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 1, 2021 6:05 AM
Apr 2018
My main problem with comics is that there are too many writers for one comic. I would prefer to follow only one writer and his storytelling style. Also, always changing character designs are annoying as well. It feels like i am following the story of many writers and knowing the story wil not ever end and it will be rebooted lessens my enjoyment. Also,when trying to find the read order online i saw people skipping some issues and preferring to read issues of a specific writer. Reading Manga is not that much of a hassle. Only one writer and limited chapters and sequels.
Mar 1, 2021 11:06 AM

Apr 2010
That I don't need to take a month. As easy as that. If they are not ongoing... I don't really care, though I don't really watch\read as much anymore.

Mar 1, 2021 11:13 AM

Jan 2020
I don't know.... There's just something so captivating about the medium and the Japanese culture that I haven't been able to find in any other medium, not only anime. I guess it's mostly my personal preference.
Mar 1, 2021 11:14 AM

Sep 2018
Manga generally has cuter designs and characters. I rarely read action stuff so I generally tend to read manga over comics.
Mar 1, 2021 11:18 AM

Apr 2014
Maybe you mean manga above comics. But anyway, because classic american superhero shit is too damn retarded at this point in time. I still read a lot of european and american indie comics. Manga has touched almost any theme imaginable and it has also a variety of plot deepness and audience target from shoujo to seinen.
But the most crucial point is that Manga is not kidnapped by leftist satanist scum, at least not yet.
Mar 1, 2021 1:38 PM

Aug 2017
Weird u are comparing anime and comics and not anime and western cartoons or manga and comics.

Cuz I don't like the designs very much, expensive, they look real, terrible writing and some of them have SJWs themes (Marvel Comics especially). No idea why people are saying Marvel = good, their writing is pretty shit, worse than usual bad written anime.
NurguburuMar 1, 2021 1:43 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 1, 2021 2:54 PM

Aug 2009
Kemono-dono said:
There is no hate to comics at all but I still think the majority of mal prefer anime over comics, if so why?

Comics help us visualize characters and the environments they are in. But animation brings motion, sound and speech to the characters and and environments they are in. So in a sense it makes those characters seem alive.
Mar 1, 2021 3:13 PM

Feb 2020
shouldn't it be manga or light novel vs comics (instead of anime)?

Overall, japanese source material (like manga or light novel etc) mostly have single continuity. It is written by a single person.

On the other hand comics are written by multiple people with multiple continuity and crossover, standalone and what not. Basically when u start seeing a billion versions of superman or batman or whatever, I just don't want to see any of them all together. It just get fed up of it altogether.
It's not just DC or marvel, most comics are like that. It's just will keep of milking and continuing even after I die.

I hate such kind of stories, I like stories which are conclusive and written by a single person. I think Japanese are the best at that at least from what I have seen

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 1, 2021 3:23 PM

May 2009
By "comics", if you mean western comic books, then I prefer anime art styles, generally speaking. Also, the types of subject matter that tend to get covered are somewhat different in each medium. Also, the anime is animated, and has background music, while comics aren't animated and lack background music.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 1, 2021 3:35 PM
Mar 2020
Just saying but comics or western comics doesnt necessarly mean american comics.

Mar 1, 2021 4:02 PM
Elder Emo

Jan 2013
It's not that I don't enjoy a lot of comic book characters, but I do get confused with all the alternative timelines, characters dying and coming back, cross-over series, etc. I also figure that I have plenty of expensive hobbies, and I don't need to add comic book collecting to the list. I'm perfectly content just sticking with the Marvel movies and tv shows.

This is assuming you meant Western comic books.
Mar 1, 2021 4:09 PM
Oct 2019
because comics have become stale and repetitive unlike and with anime/manga you get creative and unique stories.
The only comic worth a while is probably The Umbrella Academy
Mar 1, 2021 4:11 PM

Nov 2013
I'll answer supposing that you're referring to the comics' animated adaptations. But the answer is the same supposing you're really referring to comics, and not to cartoons, leaving aside the voice acting, which does not exist in comics.
I prefer anime because its art and voice acting are objectively at least a thousand times better. And also because anime, at least up to now, has not been so infected by cultural marxism like cartoons have.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 2, 2021 4:13 PM

Apr 2015
I actually prefer comics, or well graphic novels, and think it is the best medium to tell a story. Second best is novels imo. Last week bought Bezimena by Nina Bunjevac, I have been eyeing it for some months. Fingerless by Spugna I bought at the same time with Shintaro Kago's works since it looked pretty cool.

I'm also including manga here, since again comics>animation.
Mar 3, 2021 12:10 AM

Aug 2018
comics are trash

anime/manga > comics
Mar 3, 2021 2:05 AM

Sep 2015
I have literally just never looked into comics. Nothing against 'em, but I don't feel hugely pressed to look into them either. It's a form of media that exists and I've never arsed myself with.

I also do not think about them like, ever, so I don't think I will arse myself with them any time soon.

Mar 3, 2021 3:42 AM

Apr 2017
Anime have actually told some masterpiece stories. Comics all feel the same -- just a corny kid-oriented story with no depth or abstraction.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.

More topics from this board

» 90s OVA with the best animation

JoeChip - Sep 13

33 by Silverlight41 »»
5 minutes ago

» Did Hoshino Aqua saved husbandos?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

2 by Icymatika »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Trend Towards Darker Themes in Battle Shonen

Quadruple_Oi - 2 hours ago

11 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
24 minutes ago

» How was your first Anime of the summer season?

Jackson1333 - 1 hour ago

0 by Jackson1333 »»
1 hour ago

» Animew Stater Pack

Kirika_Madeleine - 7 hours ago

23 by Saphiran »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.