Forum Settings
Forums

How was your first Anime of the summer season?

New
2 hours ago

Jul 2019
With the Summer season nearing its end, a lot of shows are coming to a close, what was the first show to finish for you, and what were your thoughts on it?

Mine was Mob kara Hajimaru Tansaku Eiyuutan (A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero)
And it was pretty bad, it may as well have been a bland isekai. Instead of the hero getting transported to another world to explore dungeons with generic monsters, the dungeon with generic monsters gets mysteriously transported to our world.

after farming slimes for 2 years, our hero suddenly starts getting super rare drops, 2 of which come in the form a very rare summons, of a busty older angel and demon... who turn out to be loli's because they are only level 1.

At least he doesn't get super OP right of the bat, and even at the end of the season he has a near death experience that actually causes him to second guess his decision to keep exploring (and he didn't even make it that far down), which is nice. This is more a "power of friendship" story as he builds his harem, then OP protag story.

Very bland story, very bland character designs. Zero real world building.

I can easily say, of the 19 anime I watched this season, this was the weakest one.

Only things I liked were Lucelia the tsundere devil loli, and the first ED, which was quite enjoyable.

53 minutes ago

Jul 2021
Bye Bye, Earth, at 10 episodes.

It's this season's Metallic Rouge. I stuck with it because it had a ton of unusual ideas in a straight-up fantasy story, but it just ended up a huge mess, failing to tell a coherent story and create characters to root for.

It had a second season announced right as it ended, so they must have been counting on more episodes to make it all work, but at this point I just have no faith in the creators anymore.
42 minutes ago

Sep 2018
The robot wife anime. Funniest anime of the year, especially the first half (not a fan of the little runt introduced later on). With better production value it could have been in my top 10 anime of the year; as it is, it will probably end up in my top 20-25.
4 minutes ago

Aug 2022
Jackson1333 said:
what was the first show to finish for you, and what were your thoughts on it?

That would be Shoshimin.

I'm copying and pasting my overall impressions from the show's Episode 10 thread:

I'm rather mixed with this series.

On the one hand, it at least tries to make an effort in its visual presentation. One can say that it's "cinematic flair" is arguably more blatant when compared to Hyouka's presentation.

On the other, the mysteries are of a mixed bag. I guess I had been spoiled by The Apothecary Diaries approach to small mysteries: if it's a just a minor thing, Maomao will solve it in 5 minutes tops and move on. Whereas in Shoshimin, it indulges half an episode pondering how Kengo made hot coco. I'm just glad that the series got more interesting than what was presented in Episode 2 with the bike theft and kidnapping incidents.

There are only 3 characters worthwhile talking about. Kengo is the straight everyman. Kobato is the wannabe detective, who can also be a capable prosecutor as one of his future career prospects. But it was Osanai who I found the most intriguing. Initially, I feared she was just a subdued Eru Chitanda with a sweetooth. But her darker side really caught me off guard, and is to me a main highlight of the show. On that note, I wish that there was more for Kobato. His quest to be "ordinary" feels trivial when compared to Osanai's deeper issues. An nosy know-it-all vs. a Machiavellian wolf in sheep's clothing. Which between these two urgently needs to be ordinary again?

I felt that two background characters suddenly crushing on our two main leads was so tacked on. I say this is the case because of the sudden rise in prominence of two extras who we did not see having any interest with Kobato and Osanai before Episode 10. The show was too heavily focused on Kobato and Osanai that barely allowed anyone who wasn't Kengo any meaningful screentime for adequate character development.

Despite my qualms about Shoshimin, I will watch Season 2. If only to see what Osanai is scheming behind Kobato's back.

TL;DR - If you ask me, Shoshimin S1 doesn't reach the heights of Hyouka. If you hated Hyouka, I do not recommend Shoshimin. If you're a Hyouka fan, do I recommend this show? Honestly, it depends on what you enjoyed about Hyouka. If it was the mundane mysteries, Shoshimin is definitely worth checking out. But if it was the Classic Literature Club and the chemistry of the main characters, please adjust your expectations accordingly.

More topics from this board

» Picking between Subbed and Dubbed

GalacticWeiss12 - Yesterday

33 by Alpha-Nine »»
13 seconds ago

» Animew Stater Pack

Kirika_Madeleine - 8 hours ago

26 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
8 minutes ago

» Looking for Anime Characters Similar to Kusuriuri, Snufkin and D

Phaethonn - Yesterday

4 by Phaethonn »»
14 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9378 by AniMarter »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Trend Towards Darker Themes in Battle Shonen

Quadruple_Oi - 4 hours ago

15 by Nirinbo »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.