Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2021 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ouch, drama between the boys with this training camp. They're still in their very early days of training and there's already drama.

A buildup episode like this does feel important as it fleshes out the characters' personalities more. Seiin's team looks sharp but they still have a lot to improve. Seems they're going with more of the basic gameplay practice rather than complex strategies for now. The spiked serve was kinda impressive so I hope to see more of that.
Jan 28, 2021 10:04 AM
Sep 2015
Is this Stars Align spin-off? LOL

I've one word, "teenagers".
Jan 28, 2021 10:26 AM

May 2020
This is such a romance story!!!
The game was ok, good teamwork, I like the new characters more than Yuni and Haijima...That slap from Misao ^^
The ending changed the mood of the entire ep!!
Jan 28, 2021 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
this anime seems more like a drama then sports one lmao. seems like we might finally be getting to the sports part after 4 episodes though, that spike kuroba did was cool af. animation was on point this episode too. hope it gets better from here although judging from that post-ed scene seems like we're not done with the drama yet -_-
Jan 28, 2021 10:51 AM

Jun 2019
New guy Okuma is introduced to the team. He's like the Tanaka of this team. Again, I don't wanna compare this show to other shows, but still.
The team won both of the matches and Kuroba did fine as well. Let's see how well they'll play in the Semis and the finals.
That ending part was scary tho.
Jan 28, 2021 11:07 AM

Mar 2016
The way the ball squashed and stretched and squashed again really showed the power of the impact.

The animation was so well done and satisfying to look at.

Finally, one of my questions was answered. I wasn't sure if the girl was Yuni's cousin or if her name was just Itoko. It seems she was a cousin named Itoko. That's quite confusing. lol

I'm glad Yuni wore those tiny shorts again! lol. Plus, he even got spanked. haha

It ended with quite the drama. I hope Yuni calls the police, since that's the responsible thing to do.
Jan 28, 2021 11:43 AM

Aug 2020
I was confused when Kurobo was made to sit out of practice but I'm glad that they're thinking about him too.
Jan 28, 2021 12:02 PM

Nov 2019
Knew Chika was up to something, but I didn't think he'd make Yuni ace, aww that's cute~ >.<

That ending though, I felt a little for Yori, even though I don't like him
Jan 28, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2015
Despite Kuroba being an annoying drama queen, the episode was pretty ok... until the last minute drama with Yori-chan, which came right of nowhere.

I'm getting tired of all this constant bad drama. Probably dropping the anime now.
Jan 28, 2021 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
About the BL man . . . Didn't think it would take that kinda route. I mean for all those yaoi lovers this is the seasonal for you, for others looking for an anime about sports, I would say to go somewhere else. So much unnecessary drama, but I guess that's what the show revolves around. Duno if I should drop or just keep watching for the pretty fire op and ed.
Jan 28, 2021 12:36 PM

Mar 2016
the op is so so good and so is the ed <3

lovely episode, this cheered me up from the disappointment that was tpn, looking forward to the developments!

Jan 28, 2021 1:25 PM

Jan 2011
another good episode, looking forward to the next
Jan 28, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2017
what? a sports match that doesn't drag on for 20 episodes with a 1000 different monologues? smh what is this shit 1/10

But ok even now assuming the prologue is done, the pacing is still quite fast, that training camp lasted like 5 mins lol. Not sure if they're intending to adapt the entire novel in 1 season, or if this is just how the novel is originally paced.

and even the cast is trying to ship Yuni x Itoko lmao

the way the ep ended with Yuni running like he just saw an alien murder someone, here's hoping whatever he does doesn't lead to him getting injured for the next match

FuMomo-kun said:
The way the ball squashed and stretched and squashed again really showed the power of the impact.

yea this show definitely nails that aspect
Jan 28, 2021 1:31 PM

Apr 2009
Another fucking time skip. At least this time it felt better executed.

The cousins feel so badly inserted and just there to generated some drama. In the beginning it looked like Yuni was hanging around Yori and Yori was using him for money, but it doesn't seem like much came out of that. The girl on other hand is just there for some cringe humor.

Yuni should stop beating around the bush and give Haijima the D.
Jin_uzukiJan 28, 2021 1:37 PM

Jan 28, 2021 2:30 PM

Jun 2020
and just for that ass slap, I'm bumping this one up to an 8.
Jan 28, 2021 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
Why are people rating this anime so low?
The first episodes were not too good, as the time skip (especially the last episode) was weirdly done. But this episode was very good, it had great animation and for once a coherent plot you could follow. If they keep it up, this will become a great sports anime I would easily see as a 7.5 or above.
Jan 28, 2021 3:33 PM

Dec 2010
I hope he didn't just ditch his cousin and run, wtf
Jan 28, 2021 4:40 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
4 episodes in and i still dont know what to think of this...
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 28, 2021 5:44 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent episode.

Training camp was fun and the match was animated quite well, lot of impact shots but too bad it kinda lacks the raw energy and hype of it's competitor Haikyuu. Need a nice soundtrack to go along with that impact.

Not sure what to think of the ending, the tone of the show took a full 180 there. Wonder how the drama will develop.
Jan 28, 2021 6:27 PM
Dec 2019
I don’t like how they dodged the beef between Yuni and Hajima, makes their characters feel unfinished. Again, this show only goes as high as yuni takes it.
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jan 29, 2021 12:21 AM
Apr 2019
Am enjoying this anime better than haikyuu....idk maybe this anime have lot of fan service...thats why..cause i love me and my BL
Jan 29, 2021 12:24 AM
Oct 2020
It was fine I guess. Animation was good. But I didn't get at all why the "obvious ace" set out the spiking practice...? It feels like the anime doesn't concentrate enough on the actual games. Like, they just won 2 games and we know nothing about the opponent and saw like 2 minutes of it. Hope it gets better, I'll keep watching for sure.
Jan 29, 2021 12:56 AM

Sep 2019
I liked the game in this episode, even though it’s just a little part of the show. I guess he decided to call for help instead of helping him. I don’t know what the right decision would be in that situation.
Jan 29, 2021 12:59 AM
Jan 2017
I finally understand what kind story this anime brings. It is not really focussing on the volleyball sports but more on the characters like a highschool drama type of anime.

If u expect it to something like haikyuu!! You are wrong. This anime more like free! Anime or kaze ga tsuyoku fuiteru. It has its own charm.

The ex rugby player has the same voice actor as tendo satori. Hahahaha. The his line in this episode raally remind me of tendo.

The op and ed song really sticking to me hard. It is really good and has a sense of its own uniqueness
Jan 29, 2021 1:11 AM

Sep 2013
Rith1202 said:
I finally understand what kind story this anime brings. It is not really focussing on the volleyball sports but more on the characters like a highschool drama type of anime.

If u expect it to something like haikyuu!! You are wrong. This anime more like free! Anime or kaze ga tsuyoku fuiteru. It has its own charm.

The ex rugby player has the same voice actor as tendo satori. Hahahaha. The his line in this episode raally remind me of tendo.

The op and ed song really sticking to me hard. It is really good and has a sense of its own uniqueness

Its definitely focused on volleyball,not the way you would automatically see it,most sports animes are nekektsu while this one really is laid down,slow paced and really normal,kinda like Baby Step was at the beginning,this type of anime never was that popular anyway but it still has its niche,still it doesn't deserve that score with people putting 1 cause they expected David Production's Haikyuu while dropping the first ep.
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 29, 2021 4:00 AM

Jul 2017
phantomfandom said:
Is this Stars Align spin-off? LOL

I've one word, "teenagers".
More like grown-ups rather than "teenagers".

For one thing, at least this show is going the direction of Stars Align, rather than being the volleyball copycat of Haikyuu!. Yuni and Kimichika are apparently Maki and Touma respectively, just grown-up.

David Production trying to imitate Production I.G. in the volleyball action animation aesthetic, that's a given, but the story narrative itself is a mess trying to juggle between the sport and camaraderie. Remember what I've said about number24? That story plot is akin to the latter in just about every way, about the same structure as I can remember.

Another round of competition, and Kimichika is leading the way for Yuni's improvement in what is already a team effort to push everyone forward.

FuMomo-kun said:
Finally, one of my questions was answered. I wasn't sure if the girl was Yuni's cousin or if her name was just Itoko. It seems she was a cousin named Itoko. That's quite confusing. lol
Well, yes, finally got that answer outta the way. The show really made the both of them look like a ship.
Jan 29, 2021 5:59 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well. Training camp, and the first-two tournament match with Chika. Kuroba old middle schooler friend got out, and well, that ex Rugby's entering the gangs. I wonder whats up with his real motivation changing up the sport team instead of just the new interest to volley? Well, the game itself just fine. Nothing i can say much about their techniques. Chika showed himself how good his setting with all of those strategy explanations. Genius. But, well, ofc there must be some misunderstanding goin on. Its Yuni again. Lol. Come on, boy. Its obvious that Chika would never dump you again after the previous ridiculous middle school drama. But, damn, Yuni was always over thinking. He really need to learn much his lesson from the middle school incident.

Gladly, as fast as the pace this episode supposed to be, they cleared it out nicely with any residual spaces. Then, they bombarded the enemies lines without any hesitations. Nice conclusion, with a good match. Yori even arrive to filled out the missing puzzle from the previous event. I am glad he acknowledged his boy dedication to stay still with Chika. Even though he need to defend that shit out against all of those assaulters .... Good decision to run away, Yuni. That's better, for your next match ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 29, 2021 6:10 AM

Oct 2008
surprisingly, the animation on this episode is SAKUGA!
5/5.
did MC just run because he'll call for help? that gotta be lame!

Jan 29, 2021 8:47 AM

May 2019
I don't know why are people complaining about the existence of drama.

1- Go to the anime page.
2- Check the genre tags.
Q- Is there a "drama" tag?
if n: it's normal to complain about unexpected drama
if y: WHAT WERE YOU EVEN EXPECTING

---

I'm actually very glad this didn't turn out to be a Haikyuu rip-off. If it was, I'd be bored. In fact, the only thing this and Haikyuu has in common is volleyball. And that's all.

As for the episode, I understand the necessity of time skip, since it's only a one cour anime, but it did feel rushed. And I still don't like Kuroba that much. His insecurity sometimes makes me facepalm. I hope he called the police before running away.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jan 29, 2021 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
nanimeanswhat said:

If I have to guess, actual well written drama.

Jan 29, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2012
The drama is so cheap it just makes me cringe.
Well, at least animation is decent.
Jan 29, 2021 2:35 PM

Oct 2020
Probably the best episode yet besides the first. It was nice seeing them actually play some volleyball at the end. The animation at that part was really good, but also a little awkward when they weren't actively hitting the ball.

Last episode's poorly done timeskip kinda seeped into this episode, with reference of "the past" made by Kuroba feeling awkward since the timeskip was rushed.

I really hope the ending conflict with Yori doesn't turn into another "Kuroba can't decide if he really wants to do volleyball or not" thing. This show has potential, and I really want to like it, but if it turns into a repeated cycle of the same inner conflict then I'll have trouble enjoying it.
Jan 29, 2021 3:23 PM

May 2019
Jin_uzuki said:
nanimeanswhat said:

It has been 4 eps and 2 of them were prologues... Again, how can someone expect a good drama in such a short time? I'd understand if we were like 5 eps in (minus the prologue) but...
Jan 29, 2021 3:51 PM

Apr 2009
nanimeanswhat said:
Jin_uzuki said:

It has been 4 eps and 2 of them were prologues... Again, how can someone expect a good drama in such a short time? I'd understand if we were like 5 eps in (minus the prologue) but...

We can't expect good drama but we can have bad drama because it has been 4 episodes, what?

Jan 29, 2021 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
This does neither have good sports nor good drama.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 29, 2021 5:29 PM

Mar 2018
might be the best ep so far, also what tf is gonna happen at the end there that came outta nowhere
Jan 29, 2021 5:53 PM

Apr 2020
the real point in common with Haikyuu

This is such a romance story!!!
The game was ok, good teamwork, I like the new characters more than Yuni and Haijima...That slap from Misao ^^
The ending changed the mood of the entire ep!!
am with you. the new team is more interesting than the supposed MCs. less blushing and more slaps!
Jan 29, 2021 6:28 PM

May 2015
it was a good ep but i cant when they blush askajskahska
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Jan 29, 2021 6:31 PM

Jul 2016
Well, the yaoi-bait sure was noticeable this time with Yuni freaking out because Haijima likes girls.

Mediocre episode overall. Yuni acted like such a drama queen during the first half. The kid sure interprets everything coming from Haijima as a personal attack, uh? So annoying...

As for the rest of the episode, animation during the match was quite nice but sadly, the fast pacing killed any sense of hype or interest it could have. Last scene with Yori kinda caught my interest but some part of me thinks it will be another execution of bad drama.
Jan 29, 2021 8:05 PM

Oct 2016
That was a good episode, though it still does feel pretty fast. The match was great though, the animation was nice.
Jan 30, 2021 5:41 AM

May 2019
Jin_uzuki said:
nanimeanswhat said:

We can't expect good drama but we can have bad drama because it has been 4 episodes, what?

What? I didn't understand a world from your comment. Anyway, not that it's important. Don't watch if it bothers you this much. I'll stick for a few more episodes before jumping to conclusions.
Jan 30, 2021 7:51 AM
Oct 2019
Damm David Production putting some Sakuga into the Ball...i loved it

I think Kuroba is blushing on everything, i think it's pretty clear now..

I just googled vabo-chan, it was Japan Volleyball mascot

But the end credit scene, is he running away leaving his friend? Whatt...

Also want to point out this, the OP and ED song was really good...
Jan 30, 2021 10:13 AM

Apr 2018
four episodes in and i am continuously baffled by people expecting a josei drama to focus primarily on the sports element of it. it really is all right there on the tin.

That being said, I really wish i could say I'm in any way invested in the drama. In theory a lot of the scenarios presented and the issues they're dealing with could be very interesting, but something about the execution makes even the parts that I on some level know should be compelling just completely unrelatable.
I had a feeling that they're gonna return to the issues from their middle school days at some point - which some people seemed to believe were completely dropped after the last episode, for whatever reason - and i'm glad that they did and we'll probably be seeing more of that, and yet. Most of it just fell flat imo.

This episode seemed to be doing a little better in that department tbf, so maybe the issue this time was more with how obvious it was why Haijima didn't have Yuni practice with the rest of the the team, which just made me spend the entire episode wondering why he wouldn't just tell him, since it was pretty obvious that Yuni didn't get it.
Sigh. Teenagers, am I right? lol

Also not to be super shallow but damn are these character designs boring. I have never before felt this aggressively meh about character design. And look it's not like you need to wildly careen back into the 90s like sk8 is doing just this season, there's plenty of shows with wonderfully distinct characters that manage to stay perfectly realistic, but this just isn't one of them.

Anyway the OP is bomb, we'll see how the rest of the show goes, Yuni pls chill and also what the everloving fuck was that last scene.
elanyJan 30, 2021 10:20 AM
Jan 30, 2021 10:52 AM

May 2016
I don't know what to say it feels average and pace is fast and fking yaoi cringe 5/10
Jan 31, 2021 11:14 AM
Oct 2020
it was an okay episode I think. The best thing is the animation quality especially when they play. Facial expressions can be better though.

Now, maybe it is time to introduce some good and interesting rivals and the 'tension' between. Without good sense of rivalry and build-up for it, it will feel incomplete as a sports anime.
Jan 31, 2021 1:06 PM
May 2016
really enjoyed this one, the gang melodrama at the end felt a little out of nowhere though
Jan 31, 2021 9:23 PM

Oct 2017
I really dislike it when sports anime put cheap drama like that last scene. Aside that it was a good episode. I want Yuni x Itoko ship to sail. They look cute together.
Jan 31, 2021 9:33 PM
Dec 2020
For somebody who havent seen Haikyuu, This episode seemed pretty good to me..Although I have seen people comparing it with others and rating it bad..Still I liked its story and keen to know what happens ahead in the story
Feb 2, 2021 1:30 AM

Dec 2016
Aoki is taller that Gojo Satoru by 3cm ◐.̃◐

Why does how many underwear you brought even matter (◐∇◐*)

That spank tho 👌🏽 (I had to repeat it twice cause I thought Aoki spanked Oda 🗿)

Looks like something's up with Yori, let's see what happens in the next episode.

Anyway, I like Oda and Aoki more than the actual mcs. I wish it focused on them a little more.
Rickydory123Feb 2, 2021 1:34 AM
Feb 2, 2021 7:41 AM

Feb 2016
Everyone is having a problem with this anime for having the most insignificant little detail that is the blushing with some characters and because of that thinking the anime is gay but are completely blind to the possible incestuous budding romance between the main character and his female cousin
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

64 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

43 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:42 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

35 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:24 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2021

53 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 13, 10:37 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

155 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 13, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.