Forum Settings
Forums

If you are a straight person do you enjoy yuri/yaoi respectively?

New
Jan 7, 2021 9:52 AM

May 2020
Not that I oppose/hate it or anything, I'm just curious what people think about shoujo ai/shounen ai.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 7, 2021 10:02 AM
Jul 2018
yea, doesnt matter the gender of the characters, if it's good then its good
Jan 7, 2021 10:04 AM

Mar 2020
I am not into shounen ai/yaoi but I can watch shoujo ai/yuri although I dont seek it out. I have nothing against homosexual men I just am not really into watching it even when it is only implied.
Jan 7, 2021 10:05 AM

Jul 2020
I'm not a huge fan of yaoi, but I love shoujo ai. I feel the reason that a lot of people shy away from yuri is because the majority of it isn't very good. I love it though and I just think it's just as good as any other romance genre.
Jan 7, 2021 11:30 AM

May 2018
I think the answer will differ depending on how the person watches anime (assuming they're interested in watching romance/sexual relationships).

Some people look for shows where they can self-insert, and those are more likely to prefer something closer to their own sexuality. Some have certain gender combination fetishes they're looking to fulfill, and those are more likely to prefer shows that have their preferred gender combination.

Personally, I'm in it for the plot and characters, and I rarely self-insert. Gender combinations don't matter to me. I'm not exactly straight, and I don't have gender fetishes, but I find males are generally written better than females (in anime in general), so although shoujo-ai would be closer to my own sexuality, I enjoyed certain shounen-ai/yaoi shows better. I don't exactly go out of my way looking for them, though. I have a broad taste in anime and watch whatever looks interesting regardless of genre.
Jan 7, 2021 11:33 AM

Jan 2008
I watch shounen Ai and Yaoi and don't dismiss Yuri and Shoujo Ai and I'm female and not sure if I'm asexual spectrum or other tbh
Jan 7, 2021 11:35 AM

Sep 2020
Love is love.
Good stories are good stories.
And it's just anime.

Although we're in need of some good titles.
Jan 7, 2021 11:36 AM

Aug 2016
If it's well-written, I'll enjoy it as much as any other romance, Given was a yaoi and that didn't stop it from becoming one of my favroite anime of its season.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 7, 2021 11:38 AM

Nov 2019
no, i personally find it disgusting. if u like it, ok but I'll think that your weird
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Jan 7, 2021 11:40 AM
Oct 2017
I did enjoy watching Adachi to Shimamura. It doesn't matter to me whether it's love between males or love between females as long as I enjoy watching the anime.
Jan 7, 2021 11:41 AM
Aug 2020
I don't really care because it's cute. If it's cute, it's good.
Jan 7, 2021 11:42 AM

Jul 2020
Sorry im not watching 2 guys moan and groan over eachother. For yuri most def im pretty sure most/all straight guys appreciate yuri

Jan 7, 2021 11:43 AM

May 2016
Yuri is love yuri is life. Yuri is the energy that sustains existence so that we can go about our ever so insignificant lives when compared to the glory that is yuri.

Now I'm not saying yaoi is inherently bad or anything, everyone has their own preferences and I'm sure there are plenty of people whom enjoy boy love. Those people are, of course, creepy and weird and wrong, but they still exist and I respect them and their *cough*questionable*cough* life choices.

Praise be onto yuri. Amen.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Jan 7, 2021 11:44 AM

Apr 2016
Not yaoi specifically but I find the dudes in anime pretty damn attractive
Jan 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Aug 2020
if an anime is good, then anime is good.
Jan 7, 2021 11:48 AM
May 2016
Nop,my stomach can't handle it,unless it will be non romantic well written,adventurous fantasy stuff.But i also can't handle straight romantic anime,so it's not really about the dudes.

Jan 2016
I can only be tricked into watching it. Otherwise, I look for tags to avoid the genres because I am not interested. I'm male btw.
Jul 2018
It's not something I seek out. But I have tried experimenting with shows of that genre. Most recently, I've been watching Yuri on Ice. I like the comedy in it and the characters.
Jan 7, 2021 11:50 AM
Jan 2020
Love a good bit of yaoi or yuri anime. I don’t really care what kind of relationships the characters are in as long as it ties into the story and makes sense. Besides, yaoi and yuri relationships are a lot more spicier than regular straight relationships.
Bruh
Jan 7, 2021 11:57 AM

Feb 2013
yes because i can self insert into either girl
Jan 7, 2021 12:08 PM

May 2016
romagia said:
yes because i can self insert into either girl

*Snicker* 'self-inserting'... *More snickering*

If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Jan 7, 2021 12:20 PM

Apr 2020
I prefer shojoai more that shounenai

If there's some bit of shonen ai in an anime it's not like I'm gonna turn it off and be closed minded and say it's a bad anime because of it.

Shojo ai on the other hand is pretty good :)
Jul 2018
kurosawarubert said:
Most people who like yuri/yaoi ARE straight. Yaoi fangirls have always been a thing, and most yuri communities are populated by guys obsessed with lesbians and ("becoming") anime schoolgirls.

There's nothing wrong with straight people liking same-sex fiction, but it's not a minority. Most people aren't gay, especially online

Yuri anime has never really appealed to me. I did of course watch Valkyrie Drive, but it was moreso for the story than the romance. I honestly find it weird that there are fangirls for yaoi relationships. There's nothing wrong with same-sex relationships of course. But I find it weird how girls are strongly into shipping males together. It makes me wonder if it's a form of self-insertion for them.
Jul 2018
yaoi not, yuck
and about yuri, I'm not a fan of romance in general but I read I think 2 yuri manga and I enjoyed them
Jan 7, 2021 12:27 PM

Jun 2019
I only came across shows like Yuru Yuri, Hidamari Sketch & Konohana Kitan recently and have loved every minute. Watching the silly nonsense in Yuru Yuri was so relaxing and the light hearted flirtation just made the show more interesting.

I think it ramps up the level of human interaction if there's some mild shoujo-ai aspects to a show like Yuru Yuri or Adachi & Shimamura, well the stakes are higher for some characters if they have genuine romantic feelings for another MC.
Jan 7, 2021 12:29 PM

Sep 2008
no. yuri has too few dicks, and yaoi has too many dicks.
before you ask futa has the dicks attached to the wrong place.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 7, 2021 12:32 PM

Aug 2018
I don't want to watch either of them. It's easy enough to avoid the dude x dude anime but the girl/girl stuff is often sneaked into what otherwise looks like a cute show about nothing but turns out to be about lesbians who look like elementary school kids. *shudder* Someone seriously needs to put a big red flashing warning sign on that garbage...
Jan 7, 2021 12:41 PM

Jun 2010
Sure - I like my yuri. As for yaoi - I don't mind it in general, if only a lot of it weren't so damn rapey.
Jan 7, 2021 12:47 PM

Oct 2019
I don't seek yuri or yaoi. I am not really interested watching a serious/sexual relationship between two guys.
Id rather watch Yuri instead tho I don't really care to watch it.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jan 7, 2021 6:06 PM

Mar 2016
I don't really watch either.

No offense to anyone who does, though.
Jan 7, 2021 6:13 PM

Apr 2019
will watch either, if it's done well it's good.

Jan 7, 2021 6:14 PM

May 2014
If it's a good romance that's all i care about, the gender of the characters doesn't really matter to me. Infamously lots of Yaoi is very rapey, so i'm not into a lot of that. Classmates was a great film though and one of the best romance anime of all time, that also happened to be a gay romance.

Hmm can't recall any Yuri anime i like off the top of my head. Barely seen any really.
Jan 7, 2021 6:27 PM
Jan 2018
If Gay/Lesbian stories had the same amount of flaws as a standard romance story, I would enjoy it a lot more.

Too bad that it's far too fetishistic most of the time.

Good Gay ones are Given and Doukyuusei (Classmates Movie). The Stranger by The Sea hasn't released in the US, maybe it will be good.

Good Lesbian ones are Yagate Kimi ni Naru and Asagao to Kase-san. Budoukan also had Lesbian elements and it was solid. Urasekai Picnic just started and it isn't awful.
Haven't seen Marimite, Simoun or Oniisama e, but they might be good.
Jan 7, 2021 6:29 PM

Oct 2017
So I'm bi and trans but when I was still in the closet yeah I enjoyed that stuff
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 7, 2021 6:33 PM

Jan 2016
I can enjoy both if it's well written. A good romance is a good romance, it's when it gets fetishistic I tend to bow out. But I like both Given and Bloom Into You, I liked Yuri on Ice and I like Adachi to Shimamura to some extent. If the romance has more going for it than simply "isn't it hot seeing two guys/girls make out", there's a fair chance I'll like it. If it doesn't, I'm a lot less likely to like it.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 7, 2021 6:34 PM

Oct 2016
Don't mean to butt in in your very straight discourse- but if it means anything, I'm gay and I enjoy hetero romances more than I enjoy yaoi. Your sexuality doesn't have to do with what you prefer.

I'm not much into romance in the first place, but if I watch a shounen ai it needs to be cute and fluffy- if I see one hand going to the wrong place I am running out of there and never coming back. Same goes for Yuri, which are a lot of times better than yaoi, but still very dirty for the most part. So if I'm in a mood for romance, I go for straight relationships- which are treated more respectfully and are a lot nicer, cuter, sweeter and overall a lot easier to watch without making me cringe every two seconds.
Jan 7, 2021 6:35 PM

Apr 2018
Yuri most definitely as many guys will. As it's in the XY. As for yaoi, I personally don't. But others enjoy the spice
Jan 7, 2021 6:36 PM

May 2020
If it's highly rated then I'll watch it. If not, I'll probably not
Jan 7, 2021 6:36 PM
May 2020
Oniisama e... is one of my favourite animes and is way under watched, its a shoujo ai and right at the top of my list.

shoujo ai is ranked 7 out of 42
shounen ai is ranked 28 out of 42
Jan 7, 2021 6:44 PM

Aug 2017
I don't belong to this thread but your sexuality has nothing to with yaoi/yuri lmao.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 7, 2021 6:46 PM

Sep 2019
I'm fine with yuri but I don't enjoy yaoi I'm pretty sure some people feel the same way. But yea I understand why some people like yaoi it just doesn't appeal to me personally though.
Jan 7, 2021 7:24 PM
Jan 2018
I don’t mind either. I find them conceptually more interesting than standard boy/girl romances but so very few of them are actually good that it’s near impossible to defend them. Shoujo Ai is definitely a lot better and less fetishistic because there are actually gay/bi women that write them occasionally that are good at writing them whereas Shounen Ai is almost exclusively written by and for the fujoshi crowd. Hence the much heavier feature of rape and sexual harassment, there was even one a few years back with sexual harassment in the title.
As for the ones that are fetishized, I find them to be vile, unwatchable and generally have little to no right to even exist. Especially with how gross the fujoshi/fudanshi crowd are as a whole.
Jan 7, 2021 8:11 PM
Apr 2013
As a guy I watch primarily boy x girl, but after Yagate Kimi ni Naru I started to watch (and enjoy) shoujo ai a lot more. I haven't given a real chance to shounen ai, a fried recommended given to me, perhaps I'll enjoy shounen ai after that as well, even though I highly doubt it. I just need at least one girl I can connect with for a story to really capture me. But hey, never say never, I guess.
Jan 7, 2021 8:14 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Probably wouldn't watch them unless I hear enough to pique my curiosity. However most I've watched I didn't really like, citrus and adachi and shimimari to name a couple

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 7, 2021 8:18 PM
Jan 2020
Yes, they are very good and fun to watch, especially shoujo ai.

Jan 7, 2021 9:17 PM

Mar 2019
I haven't watched any shounen ai anime, so can't say much.
But i enjoy shoujo ai because it's girls.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Jan 7, 2021 9:28 PM

Jul 2020
Why yes, I do enjoy yuri. Thanks for asking. :D
Jan 7, 2021 10:04 PM

Sep 2020
I like Yuri anime the most but I'll watch both if they're worth watching. Doesn't matter to me what gender the characters are.
Jan 7, 2021 10:22 PM
Dec 2017
alot of straight people liek that kind of stuff so it shouldn't surprising that they do like that.

Jan 7, 2021 10:53 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Nope, a big nope, I avoid it like a plague, thank you^^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

138 by LostSpectre »»
7 minutes ago

» why are anime sometimes divided into 2 parts of 12 episodes instead of 24 episodes?

Tsuyatoash - 48 minutes ago

6 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 54 minutes ago

7 by Eleben »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 29

46 by DarkShame2 »»
37 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

83 by DarkShame2 »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.