Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Mar 2020
Oh my, a time travel back in time, very interesting.

With her new witch friend Elaina travels back to save Selena just to find out she loves to kill.

Lot's of blood and a kill by splitting Selena from head to body kinda freaked me out. Well witch friend forgot all about it.

Elaina crying, what a sight!

Great episode :)
Nov 27, 2020 8:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well... that was... pretty extreme
Nov 27, 2020 8:33 AM
Nov 2020
raiderublaze said:
Okay folks the first anime in Anime Saturdays

Saturday! Where are you from fucking future ???

OR

Are you from the inverted world???
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2020 8:40 AM

Dec 2016
There we go, now all those who claimed back in episode 3 that Elaina could have saved Nino the slave girl just turning back time can have a good doze of "shutup" with the current events and heavy toll on time manipulation.

As someone that used to watch plenty of cop dramas a decade ago, I'll admit that Selena was my very first suspect in this particular case. non the less, her heinous acts on her own parents were still quite shocking.

The use of a tangent line for a different timeline was quite interesting, and it also gave Estelle more depth portraying her selfless character

The bitter final note on Elaina storming out of Estelle's house after being an accessory to murder shows another side of hers that will also shut up all dem haters claiming "sHe'S COlD aND UNcaRinG"

-Aincrad- said:
By the way, Selena's mother was actually worse than her dad.

"I can't believe it, my husband is sexually abusing (and possibly even raping) our own daughter , who's just a child !
What a little bitch, I'm gonna beat her up!

Selena's testimony shouldn't be taken as hardcore evidence. Her short story depicted her as a pathologycal liar that didn't even acknowledge Estelle as her best friend until she put 2 and 2 together. This is a case where reasonable doubt could be introduced and pin all the blame on Selena, not on her parents.
KimurahNov 27, 2020 8:55 AM
Nov 27, 2020 8:45 AM

May 2020
So, we already knew about the warning coming from this episode, and since the start, we didn't have the opening. The first half is kinda normal, like the others episode but damn...

I thought that the warning was "too much" for the content I thought we would see, but it went further, I really wasn't expecting that quantity of blood.

Just an amazing episode.
Nov 27, 2020 8:50 AM

Feb 2015
That was so predictable.
Nov 27, 2020 8:52 AM

Dec 2014
THANKGOD ELAINA SHOWED EMOTION IN THE END...i THOUGHT SHE WAS NARCISSTIC AND EMOTIONLESS
Nov 27, 2020 8:58 AM

Aug 2018
anstar019 said:
This episode was cheap as fuck. There is like no depth to it.

I can kill a person, and I can kill it twice. I don't give a fuck. There is nothing others can do, and others should mind their own business. - Summary of ep 9

1. Define "depth".
2. Are you suggesting we should have a rainbows and butterflies episode instead?

animejas said:
Meh, this was boring and way too overdone for me to care, especially on the emotional side. They tried way too hard, and I just found it a bit comedic instead of genuinely painful to watch for Elaina and Estelle. It's just because the story for this episode just fell really flat for me. The only thing I could say was good was Elaina reflecting on everything that happened after returning to her time and sobbing about how painful and sorrowful it was, but the journey to get there was just a miss for me due to the intensive lack of depth. I get it's only a 1 episode deal but even so, there was legitimately nothing there for me to care about whatsoever, barely any meat to it at all.

Show is slowly going downhill for me a bit, I had it at an 8-9 at the start but the past few episodes have let me down.

The show always followed similar setups. I'm not sure why you rated it 8-9 originally...
Nov 27, 2020 9:03 AM
Jul 2017
Elaina: And what's the payment?
Estelle: This enormous sack of red flags!

A predictable, depressing, and entirely avoidable tragedy
Nov 27, 2020 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
What one crazy ass plot twist. From the beginning we don’t get an opening so you know shit is going down. I was sort of inferring that the little girl was the murderer, but poor Elaine had to see someone kill her best friend twice. Elaine was so shocked and sad at the same time that she couldn’t save the girl that she run away leaving the money broekn down in tears. The gore this episode was on par with Higurashi, man what the hell. Amazing episode!
Nov 27, 2020 9:11 AM

Dec 2016
GanguroGal said:
Elaina: And what's the payment?
Estelle: This enormous sack of red flags!

A predictable, depressing, and entirely avoidable tragedy

Avoidable how?

If Elaina didn't sign up for the job, some other Witch would have done it and Estelle would have ended in the same manner killing her best friend twice and having her memories of Selena erased.

This was a good example of Murphy's law and the core of fatalism writing.
Nov 27, 2020 9:16 AM

Mar 2016
I hate how this episode started out rather lighthearted to suck my ass into a mixed whirlwind of emotions later on.

I don't think even the craziest ReZero episode had me this stuck and at a loss for words, even though the whole story was quite simple and straightforward in comparison with other similar tragedies.

By all means, I was supposed to at least keep it together for jokes later, but shit really hit for me when.........Elaina, of all people, just bolts out of the room, not even caring about the money offered previously, and sat there by herself, musing and reprimanding herself from being unable to save someone and being akin to normal, useless, inexperienced.....just some ordinary traveler. By that point, I just couldn't hold myself together as this was happening, and literally broke into tears myself. People who call the drama silly and superficial probably missed the point of episodic storytelling in the first place.

Yep, this is now stamped as AOTS for me and there's no other close competitor besides perhaps JJK, cause Akudama Drive has went to meh for me with the past few episodes, Golden Kamuy is just plain good not great, and everything else (except the current Love Live series) is decent at best.
Nov 27, 2020 9:35 AM
May 2020
Okay, i've got warned as this episode would be something NSFW Violence. This episode exceeds my expectation. Holy shit, the premise was really simple, but it had me terrified so bad. Also had tearjerks on that last scene. Best eps so far, 6/5.
Nov 27, 2020 9:36 AM

Jul 2009
i find the flower chapter more disturbing than this one. probably because i have been warned for 1 week
bruh
Nov 27, 2020 9:41 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, the Director warning us that this episode was going to be dark plus the word of caution at the start definitely raised the bar high but this was still brutality beyond my expectations.

I'd a feeling the little girl was a murderer from the start and that there was no real burglar when it didn't appear on time. But the execution of just the whole scene was amazing! Definitely got goosebumps. Also, the VA playing the little girl really nailed it too!

Trading memories to amass the final spurt of magic and then Elaina rushing out to just comprehend what transpired really did dug deep, good lord. A dark episode certainly done well unlike Episode 3 which was kind of undercooked, if you will.

Shouldn't this be airing later into the midnight time frame? Just saying...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 27, 2020 9:49 AM

Dec 2017
"This episode contains explicit content that may be in appropriate for younger viewers."

WELL YOU CERTAINLY WEREN'T WRONG.

Talk about an episode that regained my interest after being in and out with this series so far.

Nov 27, 2020 9:52 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I was expecting a very lewd episode based on the warning, I got a very violent one instead.
Nov 27, 2020 10:01 AM

Feb 2016
I DARE MALtards to say that Elaina doesn't care, go on, I'm waiting, say that Elaina "Doesn't give a fuck" after this episode.

I've gotta say tho, This wasn't what I had in mind when it comes to very explicit content, I thought there would be rape and other fucked up shit (I'm glad it wasn't explicitly shown), it was still very brutal to see a little girl get completely annihilated after being confirmed that she was a murderer. Must have been really hard for Estelle, too bad this Estelle couldn't fix a murderer. Wink

Last words from Elaina really hit the spot, this should make clear what Episode 3 and 4 were about, just because you're helping doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. This time, not just Estelle got to know about the real truth behind Selene, but she lost way more than what she would've gain if she succeeded. Talk about everything backfiring, yikes. And then we have Elaina, who couldn't do anything to help and was left out with a helpless feeling: Magic can't solve everything, specially if you're inexperienced.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeDec 2, 2020 2:52 AM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 27, 2020 10:05 AM
Oct 2018
Well... It really shocking to watch this episode. Yeah I do expect some plot twist, but this is way more worse than I expected. The ending also showed that Elaina deal with a horrible chapter of her journey.

I hope she wrote those events in her diary. It definitely will be a massive success of her stories. Plus she still make money from her pain. People love to read stories like that.
Nov 27, 2020 10:06 AM
Jul 2019
animejas said:
Meh, this was boring and way too overdone for me to care, especially on the emotional side. They tried way too hard, and I just found it a bit comedic instead of genuinely painful to watch for Elaina and Estelle. It's just because the story for this episode just fell really flat for me. The only thing I could say was good was Elaina reflecting on everything that happened after returning to her time and sobbing about how painful and sorrowful it was, but the journey to get there was just a miss for me due to the intensive lack of depth. I get it's only a 1 episode deal but even so, there was legitimately nothing there for me to care about whatsoever, barely any meat to it at all.

Show is slowly going downhill for me a bit, I had it at an 8-9 at the start but the past few episodes have let me down.
I myself liked episode 9, but it doesn’t top episodes 3-4.
Nov 27, 2020 10:17 AM

Sep 2020
Wow.
I really enjoyed this episode of Majo no Naku Koro ni (When Witches Cry).

The show's about a travelling girl.
She needs to see everything, right? Even if it's a shocking thing.

Maybe the blue-haired girl is like Varg Vikernes or something.
Nov 27, 2020 10:19 AM
Sep 2020
Basically the episode 15 of Re zero. The no opening route was suprising but I expected that after watching the preview and warning for the ep where the teeth were shown *gruesome as hell*. The only thing that stopped it from becoming Higurashi was the atmosphere and how they handled the murder. Great episode overall
Nov 27, 2020 10:35 AM

May 2016
OMG this was shocking and amazing
Nov 27, 2020 10:49 AM

Apr 2015
Not gonna lie, when I heard this episode was gonna be very graphic and not suited for younger audiences, I was expecting some pretty traumatizing stuff. Eventho I loved the episode a lot for it's darkness and gruesomeness, I can't help but feel a little disappointed, cause the "graphic content" warning wasn't really needed for the episode.

To the content of the episode itself. Damn it turned dark pretty quickly. Estelle wanting to prevent her best friend turning into a serial killer.

The twist was amazing, despite the fact I saw it coming a mile away. The shock and horror on Estelle's face when she found out the killer was actually Selena herself was oustanding. She put so much time and sacrifices into traveling back to the past to prevent Selena from changing into a murderer, only to find out she was wrong all along and there wasn't a single thing she could've done to change any of that.

That final scene of Elaina breaking down, reflecting on her part during all that, not something I would've expected to see after EP 1. Loved that development!
Nov 27, 2020 11:06 AM

Jul 2019
This was darker than I expected. I wanted wholesome adventures but I won't complain. It is nice to see the more gory side of things
Nov 27, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2020
I wasn't expecting this kind of violence from a PG-13 show. But i still loved it
Nov 27, 2020 11:20 AM

Oct 2018

After 4 episodes of lighthearted series, we now face the most intense episode of all. I don't think I'll get a good night sleep after this!

Anyway, the story is about a witch named Estelle requesting help from Elaina to travel back to the past to stop Selena from becoming a murderer. Sound's easy, we just need to stop the robber who is the main cause of Selena becoming a murderer!

But it turns out Selena was already a murderer and a psycho! 😦 It is revealed her parents have abused her! Estelle noticed this and felt enraged for her betrayal and decides to stab repeatedly and choke her to death. This is by far the most intense one I've ever seen!
(・口・)

Back to the present, Estelle has sacrificed all of her memories and magic power to kill Selena. Elaina recognized her weakness as she's unable to stop Estelle from killing her friend again and now become depressed.

Overall, this episode is quite sad! I wonder will she come back happy again in the next episode? I'll be waiting til next week!
RiriHitosuyanagiNov 27, 2020 12:53 PM
Forum set made by Nate
Nov 27, 2020 11:22 AM
Jan 2019
That turned out becoming a gore anime, the Studio itself didn't even bother about the PG-13 rating, impressive, rare studio.

Elaina regrets saying that "I'm just a traveler" which lead him failed to save Estelle, will she changed his mind after this? Or she still be Apathethic? I don't know, but we'll see after this.

The good side of Estelle losing her mind is she cannot remember her dark-past and continue looking forward to the future. Meanwhile Elaina can't remove her memory, she'll regret having "I'm JUsT A TraVeLler" mindset.
Nov 27, 2020 11:23 AM

May 2019
Art, direction, story all were top notch this episode.

We knew this episode was going to be one of those darker ones when the “this episode contains explicit content” warning appeared.

All of the previous episodes were somewhat very predictable (ex: it was obvious that the doll maker was the ripper) and that took a part of the enjoyment away from me but wow this time I didn’t expect Selena to be the “robber” at all. Yes I knew something was off when they mentioned the tens of stab wounds but I thought it was her uncle or something.

Well, all that resulted in Estelle killing his best friend twice at the cost of losing both her magic and her memories of Selena and this truly scarred Elaina. And she didn’t even take the money. I love the subtle character development she’s getting as she travels.

Gotta raise my score for this anime.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 27, 2020 11:26 AM

Jul 2015
As soon as I saw notification at the start of the episode, I know we are up for a ride.
Just like infamous SAO Alicization ep 10.

Anyway, "Some souls are fated to burn."
Some may argue that if girls would go back in time even further to spare Selena from abuse she wouldn't become a murderer, but I don't think it's the case.
As soon as she said, that "murder is fun", it's pretty obvious that she was simply a psychopath and abuse was merely a catalyst. It's kinda similar to to Michael Myers case.
I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

It also seems that Selena resorted to cannibalism, which further implies that she is too far gone.

In short: You should not feel sorry for Selena. She was a lost cause from the start and even Elaina should feel the necessity to put her down.
Estelle, however killing someone who she considered her friend twice, going to such lengths in order to save her only to find out that nothing if it was worth it was truly depressing.
Maybe it's for the best for her to discard those memories?
PiromyslNov 27, 2020 11:29 AM

Nov 27, 2020 11:26 AM

Sep 2020
Wow this episode was so dark. Definitely one of the best episodes. The second half was so intense and psychotic!
Nov 27, 2020 11:44 AM

Dec 2008
It was so obvious is her.

I'm glad that Estelle didn't die.

Elaina crying was weird.
Nov 27, 2020 11:52 AM

Jun 2015
Do comedy episodes again, 'cause I laughed so hard during the episode XD
Nov 27, 2020 12:08 PM

Apr 2020
Damn so much blood, Really shows that sometimes you can't have a happy ending in some stories.
Not everyone can be saved
Nov 27, 2020 12:27 PM

Dec 2019
.......Well that was brutal, The disclaimer wasn't kidding at all!

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Nov 27, 2020 12:30 PM
Jan 2018
I just wanted to watch another wholesome episode of witches doing witch things before going to sleep

Thnks for the nightmare fuel
Nov 27, 2020 12:42 PM
Oct 2020
This episode was the first time any type of media left me legitimately speechless. The fact that Estelle going back in time to try to save her "friend" was ultimately completely useless since she was already too far gone really fucked me. No matter how you put it, everyone lost this episode.
Nov 27, 2020 12:50 PM

Feb 2010
Ashhk said:
This episode is really more violent and gore than Higurashi lol :/
ha not really.

i don't think anything will top the lobotomy form the higurashi manga where

sirmattis said:
I wasn't expecting this kind of violence from a PG-13 show. But i still loved it

thats because the PG-13 was from the U.S which often mistakenly give shonen shows that because the same misconception many on this board also have.

shonen in japan can get away with a lot more then PG-13 can.

look at shows like death note and Akame ga kill.

akame ga kill has decapitation and just about as much gore in this anime. (but i will admit this much this show as at least a speck more depth then akame ga kill who's author literally had to

@ShiroSupremacy

anyone who is familiar with time travel show could already see the pointless time travel trope coming a mile away.

a lot of classic time travel is going back and either a.causing things to become worse b. becoming the cause of the event to happen. and c. nothing you do can prevent the event happening. for example

@Descended_

cannibalism is a witch thing to do though...

ShaoHan said:

This anime is really inconsistent in its story, and I hate it. :(
aye which is honestly why i prefer kino no tabi over this because Kino's at least a consistent character.

GrimAtramentNov 27, 2020 1:16 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 27, 2020 12:56 PM

Aug 2019
Estelle just wanted to save her... sad
Nov 27, 2020 1:12 PM

Aug 2018
ShaoHan said:
Honestly really really dislike, pretty much hated this episode.
First of all, there was 0 mention of the robber being apprehended.

Because it is presumed that this "robber" never got caught.

ShaoHan said:
Second, they initially never mentioned how to get back to the present.

Because it is presumed that they automatically travel back to the present time after 1 hour.

ShaoHan said:
suddenly Elaina does care about people dying? Or at least, shows emotion about people dying? What about the girl & the boy that were absorbed by the plants? Or the slave girl who might, or might not have committed [you know what], because Elaina so conveniently forgot the ending of that already quite dubious story?

I think if you spent time hearing about someone's story and forming connections with their emotions, you'll be much more saddened to hear about tragedies affecting them. It's like you people pay little attention to the story.
Nov 27, 2020 1:16 PM
Apr 2019
Holy fucking shit! What was that?
Nov 27, 2020 1:17 PM

Apr 2019
Higurashi called, it wants it's facial expressions and gore back. Lovely episode. I love it how the show mixes all genres and moods.

Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM

Mar 2020
Ok this might be the best episode in the series so far rivaling episode 1. I suspected that they would fail but I've never thought the little girl would be the one who did it all from the start! Also,Its nice to see how Elaina broke at the end, this probably was the collection of her past experiences and the fact that she played a vital role here.
My score is back to 8/10, my biggest problem with the anime is Saya! God I really hate her. I hope she never appears again
nhc9Nov 27, 2020 2:00 PM
Nov 27, 2020 1:38 PM

Mar 2019
Man what an episode ! Didn't saw that coming at all .. When there was a warning at the beginning I expected something bu this is something else .
kinda gave the vibes of Higurashi LOL
This anime just keeps getting better each episode .
This episode shows us not all tales of journey are fun or epic

Nov 27, 2020 1:43 PM

Aug 2018
hazarddex said:

ShaoHan said:

This anime is really inconsistent in its story, and I hate it. :(
aye which is honestly why i prefer kino no tabi over this because Kino's at least a consistent character.

Nah.
Nov 27, 2020 2:07 PM

Sep 2015
Holy shit. I was not expecting this. I don't know how to feel about this episode.
Nov 27, 2020 2:11 PM
Jan 2018
@hazarddex

Who said i have a problem with cannibalism ?
Nov 27, 2020 2:17 PM

Feb 2010
Opticflash said:
hazarddex said:

Nah.

wow you really just confirmed what i said last time that your literally watching it to try and hate it smh. you even inserted a line that was not even in episode 7.

GrimAtramentNov 27, 2020 2:24 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 27, 2020 2:32 PM

Apr 2018
Holy shit that was so dark.

Really dark. darker than black itself.

Damn, I really feel bad for Estelle because she took her time and magic to save that girl but in the end, it was all for nothing.... That is going to be hard to live with especially Elaina seeing it first hand.
Nov 27, 2020 2:37 PM
May 2020
Didn't even take the money. She needed to get the ef out of there.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.