Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2020 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, that got dark and violent. From the gunshot to the end to the strange clues they've found this episode, this is Golden Kamuy in its glory.

If anything, some characters are willing to go anywhere to get their point across. At least they didn't forget about some of the light humor with Asipra and her food tastes though.
Nov 23, 2020 8:42 AM
Oct 2016
Truly beautiful, poetic episode. Felt just like an old samurai movie near the end with Hijikata striking down Yoichiro with that somber music playing. A great side story to keep in the anime with Hijikata group trying to find more of the skins. Wanting to get the gold so they can make Hokkaido independent from the weakening Japan. Loved how this episode had Yoichiro flashing back to his old says in the shogunate. That effect they used looking like digital scrub over worked perfectly. Yoichiro could still swing that sword even as a barely able to move old man. Once things clicked back to his old days he went to work. Cutting those dudes feet with the axe was so brutal! Really cool to see young Hijikata again, loved how their voices sound back then. Bruno/Hawks/Gojo vs Jotaro/Erwin/Golem. Got back to Asirpa group at the end as they plan to blow up the prison where Sofia is and bust all the prisoners out taking her in the confusion.
Nov 23, 2020 8:53 AM
Sep 2015
Hijikata in his young age was so hot! He could have his own spin-off in his era. Though there are already dozens of anime about Hijikata. Golden Kamuy's decision to make him a supporting cast rather than main cast is what's new to me.
Nov 23, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2016
When this series turns into Shigurui, lol.

And Ogata saying Hinna Hinna was such a precious moment.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 23, 2020 9:08 AM

Jul 2017
It's been a while since we've seen Hijikata's group, and still on the search for more POW's tattoos.

Going back to the time before Episode 4 a.k.a Immortal Sugimoto Harakiri Show a.k.a Chapters 151-154, Yoichiro the Manslayer, and also being on the search agenda, branded as old man Doi Shinzo. Despite his senile appearance, the moment he strikes is NOT one you want to fumble with. The imagery of his past self in the Shogunate/Shinsengumi, along with Hijikata's reforms, what inhumane justice to kill off someone who is highly regarded in the ranks.

On Asirpa's side, freeing the buff woman Sophia is no mere simple task. From a highly secure prison to free 250 prisoners...that's a inhumane task that'll prove to be a challenge. But bring it on, nothing is impossible for these experienced Ainu!
Nov 23, 2020 11:06 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I loved the digital effects that were used to flashback towards the Meji era. So Asirpa's group is planning on free 250 people from the Ako prison so that Sophia can escape.
Nov 23, 2020 11:38 AM

Sep 2019
Hijikata and the other guy's backstory was good, I really enjoyed this episode.
Nov 23, 2020 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
This was a throwback to the old samuri films and series. Season 3 continues to be fantastic, im just wondering when sugimoto will catch up with Asipra.
Nov 23, 2020 11:51 AM

Dec 2017
Now shit's getting real. I can positively say this was the best episode of the season, and I think it's gonna get even better.
Nov 23, 2020 11:51 AM

Aug 2013
As always, another great episode.

This time it focused on Hijikata and Yoichiro, the manslayer. The way those so called assassins were killed was brutal.

Nov 23, 2020 1:15 PM

Feb 2014
I'm glad that this episode mostly focused on Hijikata's group at last, and man was this episode a brutal, yet a sad one as well.

Yoichiro the manslayer certainly lives up to his name, even as a frail old man. The way that he showed no hesitation to kill the assassins that was after him was savage. Not just that, but I do love the way that the digital effects was used to transition to what Yoichiro was seeing from his point of view, which made it feel like a proper samurai film set during the Meiji era.

It did set up for a rather sad end to Yoichiro as Hijikata dealt the mortal blow with a swift strike to Yoichrio's torso. The OST used for this whole scene by the sea also deserves full praise, too. =)

Asirpa's group are now planning for an ambitious attempt to rescue Sofia by setting all 250 prisoners of Ako prison free. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull this plan off or not.

We did get a sweet moment, though. Hearing Asirpa saying "Hinna hinna" again makes me happy, but I wasn't expecting Ogata to utter those words as well. Asirpa's reaction to that was really cute. =3
Nov 23, 2020 1:39 PM

Apr 2015
About time we got to see more of the third group (Hjikata's group) that was moving around as well. The Manslayer backstory was pretty great. The effects of switching between era's were really nicely done.

Ogata saying Hinna! So precious!

A 250-man prison break, that is going to one chaotic mess. Can't wait though!
Nov 23, 2020 3:03 PM

Jul 2010
I was conflicted with whether they should include these chapters in the anime, sacrificing some pacing and rushing the end of this arc. But I am glad they did animate it. Glorious episode in terms of visuals, music and feels.
Nov 23, 2020 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Hijikata as always is very strong.

Nov 23, 2020 3:19 PM
Jan 2019
Hijikata is really badass character. I want more of him in next episodes. 🤑
Nov 23, 2020 3:34 PM

Jun 2019
Really good episode. The way they handled the manslaughter by present his fight as if it was in the past was a good wayto show how his fight and Higikata’s fight both remain in the past in some way.
Nov 23, 2020 5:23 PM

Sep 2018
I know he's an absolute heartless bastard who has done despicable things and I should by all means hate him, but Ogata is so precious I want to protect him
Nov 23, 2020 5:54 PM

Nov 2010
The move that the old man flicked an ax with lightning speed was cool. Getting the glaring light of a sword in his eyes, his senile brain collapsed with digital distortion. The reality was glazed by past memories and he saw the world like a vivid pop art. Down nightmarish stairs, he fled from pursuers. At last, he recovered himself at the seashore and welcomed the slash from Hijikata. A disconsolate but lyrical episode.
Nov 23, 2020 6:31 PM

Jul 2012
We finally got updated on Hijikata's team. I missed Chinpo-sensei!
Great story with Yoichiro. Nice to hear OnoD as well.

Asirpa's reaction to Ogata's "hinna hinna" reminded me of when he said "chitatap" lol
Nov 23, 2020 7:09 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Lieutenant Tsurumi and Hijikata had an appearance again. Such a long time didn't see their appearance in a full duration. Especially those old man, that time has been stop to made him more senile. Well, Lieutenant Tsurumi, finally wanted to try to breaking a code in the tattoo he had. Then, Sugimoto remembered something about the words. Did her father want to make Asirpa learn vocabulary from the tattoos? Masakaa....

Meanwhile, the manslayer was one of the Abashiri's prisoners. Not surprised, knewing some man like Hijikata exist on that time. Another old man like those manslayer was understandable with his existence. But man, its quite emotional. He just wanted to death in peace, after what he has done in the past. But the dark shadow from those era always searching him again and again, in the name of vengeance. Gladly, Hijikata came in the right time, to put the old man into a peace death he always wanted, after, yeah, slayed some another foolish men. Case closed, Hijikata got what he wanted. Farewell, old man....

Okay, finally the screen has been back to Asirpa group. As expected, they wanted to release Sofia, and the other prisoners. Such a big plan, and he knew the right time before launching the attack. It seemed the next one will be amazing again with a lot of action packed. A terror that might be happened in the whole Ako's prison sites. Can't wait to see Kiroranke plan worked, and Ogata sniping acts. Hinna hinna!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 23, 2020 7:29 PM
Mar 2015
The manslayer is finds peace but Hijata and the rest continue the war
Nov 23, 2020 7:37 PM

Oct 2017
Ogata saying Hinna was hilarious.

RIP the manslayer, he can finally rest.
Nov 23, 2020 7:59 PM

Mar 2019
This series cant just go down from 5/5....

8 weeks... Perfect Score.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Nov 23, 2020 8:04 PM

Oct 2016
Amazing episode and just when I was missing the Hijikata gang, the show went and gave what's going on in their side. That story with the manslayer is probably the best of this season so far and now he can finally rest.

This was an iconic moment. He said it, he said the words, Ogata said h i n n a h i n n a we must rejoice. Let's go, another prison break and I am hyped for it.
Nov 23, 2020 8:32 PM

Apr 2012
Oh my god. This is beautiful. Really so beautiful T____T

I had goosebumps for all of this episode. Youichiro's history is a bloody and tragic one, getting betrayed by the one he dedicated all those manslaying for, but he was able to live as a human with his Ainu wife. The way Hijikata acknowledges the fact that he respects Youichiro's ideals and how he states that he is still fighting for Japan. I truly love these old men.

And there we go, Shiraishi's "harasho!" and Ogata's... nani???? He said "hinna hinna"???? The development we're getting from him wow. Damn, GK's episodes just really get better and better. Next up, we have another prison break story! Let's goooooo
Nov 23, 2020 10:13 PM

Jul 2016
As someone else said here, truly beautiful indeed. Youichiro was introduced for only this episode yet I ended up empathizing with his tragic backstory and persona as much as if he were one of the main protagonists. Another example of just how engaging Golden Kamuy's storytelling can be and on a particular note, the directing decision of using those digital effects to portray Youichiro's memories from the past in the present was simply fantastic. Totally loved it.

Overall, another 5/5 episode. It's been a while since the last time we saw Hijikata's group so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the focus was on them this week. Was already missing some Hijikata's typical badassery, honestly.
SouthRzVaNov 23, 2020 10:20 PM
Nov 24, 2020 3:14 AM

Jul 2016
Cr4zko said:
Now shit's getting real. I can positively say this was the best episode of the season, and I think it's gonna get even better.

It has been slowly building to what i assume will be another end of season clusterfuck of events.

This show is amazing.
Nov 24, 2020 5:26 AM

Jul 2014
Fantastic episode. The flipping between past and present from Youichiro's perspective was done so well and made what could have been a completely one-note character into another highly sympathetic member of this show's excellent extended cast. My only complaint would be that the cut back to Kiroranke's group at the end of the episode did kill the mood set up by everything else, but I suppose it needed to be done to set us up for next week's events; I'd have maybe shifted it to a long post-credits scene personally to have a less abrupt transition and tonal shift.
Nov 24, 2020 6:46 AM

Mar 2017
A perfect streak of 5/5 from the first ep of this season to this week's episode. Absolutely loved it.
Nov 24, 2020 1:29 PM

May 2015
Anime of the season confirmed with this episode.
Nov 24, 2020 3:27 PM

Mar 2017
A beautiful but sad episode that showed another generation that was scarred by war and combat, just like those from the Russo-Japanese war after them. The scenes switching between Yoichiro & Hijikata as old men to young was really powerful and made the scenes even more emotional

Another fantastic ep!
Nov 25, 2020 1:09 AM

Feb 2014
Damn that was epic. I nearly forgot how good this scene was. That wast the utmost respect one can give to someone whose deeds were wrong because the times changed.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 25, 2020 1:43 AM

Nov 2010
My most favourite episode so far for 3rd season.

Damn, I had teary eyes during Yoichiro's flashback especially when he was tied up and cried. Beautiful episode.

Ogata said Hinna hinna made mw squealed happily haha.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 25, 2020 6:54 AM

Apr 2018
That was truly beautiful.
Nov 25, 2020 12:53 PM

Feb 2008
Hijikata Toshizou is a dashing man, no matter his age.

There is poetic justice in the fact that Youichirou got taken down by a man of equal conviction. Although as his fight is over, Hijikata has plenty of spirit left in him. To fight for Japan in his own way. An independent, multicultural Hokkaido is a grand vision.

I shed tears as Youichirou met his end.
Nov 26, 2020 7:01 AM

May 2016
Old people getting young again for the fans I don't mind that at all <3

Glad we could see Hijikata in action again.
Nov 28, 2020 6:49 PM

Oct 2008
i really thought Hijikata would get a very strong old ally but same he slain that hitokiri! OST was very emotional!
5/5.

Dec 1, 2020 12:22 AM

Sep 2020
Old man with Alzheimer's wreaking havoc lol

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Dec 23, 2020 12:15 AM

May 2015
The ost track played at the old man's death made me tear up
Dec 28, 2020 3:19 PM
Jul 2013
The best episodic character award goes to Yoichiro the Manslayer. I don't think they'll come up with anything better. This was Golden Kamuy at its finest.
Mar 11, 2021 12:02 AM
Feb 2018
reminds me of rurouni kenshin:yoichiro vs hijikata X kenshin vs saito,red moon,the divine punishment thing
Mar 20, 2021 9:19 AM

Jul 2012
Wow, just wow. This has to be my favorite episode of the entire show up to this point. Everything about the part with Hijikata and Youichirou was perfect. It was poetic that Hijikata was his young self when he struck Youichirou down, while the latter was the old version of himself. Hijikata's still fighting for the ideals he's held since his youth, while Youichirou had become content with being a regular human.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 26, 2021 8:31 AM
Oct 2019
everyone seems to have really enjoyed this episode

however, i think it was the weakest episode of the last 6
Jul 3, 2021 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
Yoichiro still got some mad slayer skills at his old age but still sad seeing his regrets of his imperial loyalist days, well at least he can rest in peace now.

Jun 21, 2022 7:35 AM

May 2020
This series has no shortage of badass characters, we all know and more so these badass old men. That last scene just made my eyes wet for some reason.
Aug 18, 2022 6:01 AM
Oct 2019
no wonder he got nickname "Manslayer", still a badass as an old man!!

it has to be Sugimoto osoma lol
Asirpa face so serious when she said that.

Oct 3, 2022 12:47 PM
Feb 2022
Manslayer needed one ep to tell a full story, heat episode
Oct 17, 2022 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
This was silent, Dark & Psychological episode at its peak! I loved it!
Hijikata and his past Comrades are all amazing and there chemistry is soo good!
The man slayer was also a great character. It would have been great if he was also the part of the team Hijikata.

Well, another prison escape!
Dec 8, 2022 4:10 PM
Jan 2017
Top tier episode, recommend strongly.
Jul 5, 2023 8:45 PM

Aug 2019
The circus episode has always been my favorite for how hilarious it is, but I gotta say that this episode is the one I'd say is the best from this season. Very well-done and compelling.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2020

110 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2020

105 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2020

61 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2020

120 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2020

57 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 3:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.