Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 6, 2020 2:39 AM
May 2018
Suppose you are watching a series but it was boring but somehow you ended up completing it. But in the last episode you were just overtaken by emotion in the last episode for eg.
1-The action sequence in the last episode was just so well choreographed that you got chills.
2- The last episode had so good soundtrack or ending that you got chills/emotional/made you cry
3- The last episode gave you a sense of satisfaction.
4-The "ship" which you had been rooting for, sailed in the last episode and had a happy ending.
5-The case was solved with a deduction you couldnt even think of.

Will you still score the series low irrespective of emotions you felt in just the last episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2020 2:41 AM

Jun 2014
As long as the last episode introduces a good waifu, that will probably bump the score up from a 5 to a 9.
Oct 6, 2020 2:51 AM

Oct 2010
I would prob score it higher, I love to be taken by surprise in the last minute
Oct 6, 2020 2:52 AM

Jun 2016
I'll probably score a point higher or something.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 6, 2020 2:58 AM

Apr 2020
no because i won't complete the series first of all
Oct 6, 2020 2:59 AM
Jun 2017
Yes, my score wouldn't change. All but points 1 and 5 are emotionally driven rather than having any bearing on the actual quality. The quality of the fight choreography is also very dependant on the significance of it to the story, with it not being a game changer if only flashy visuals with little substance, and point 5 about a plot twist that couldn't be thought of in many cases would be more of a detriment as; if the audience was unable to see any foreshadowing for it, there's a lot more chance of it amounting to a contrivance without proper set-up.
ChouErittoOct 6, 2020 3:29 AM
Oct 6, 2020 3:19 AM

Jun 2020
Yes last eps can completely boost your impression of an anime imo.
Oct 6, 2020 3:26 AM

Nov 2016
A good ending can at most, boost the score by 1 point.
Oct 6, 2020 3:30 AM

Jun 2015
Not me, I treat the last episode or the ending as much as I treat every other episode or other minutes in the middle.
Oct 6, 2020 3:40 AM

Aug 2016
No, I wouldn't care even if the last episode was good, because I'm already disattached to it.

Changing for the better in the second half would make much more sense, like this one, it got better in the second half, I thought it would be the typical harem romance trash that would rate 3-4/10, but the second half was a pleasant surprise, so I gave it a 6/10.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Oct 6, 2020 3:52 AM
Jul 2020
Nah, I mean, it may boost the score by 1 point, but not anything to significant.
Oct 6, 2020 3:53 AM

Jun 2016
Point 2 and 3 happened to me last week as I was finishing Hachimitsu to Clover. I still gave it a low score, but I'll re-watch it in the near future.
Oct 6, 2020 3:54 AM

Nov 2016
Yeah, one or two points depending on how much it impacted seem reasonable.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2020 3:59 AM

Mar 2019
Even if the last episode satisfies me, it still doesn't change the fact that rest of the anime get me bored. So i won't give high score. 5 or 6 will be my score in this case.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Oct 6, 2020 4:05 AM

May 2018
Last episode can make a difference by 1 score up/down depending how it turns out

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Oct 6, 2020 4:06 AM

Aug 2018
I might increase it's score but it depends how good it was
_______I like rocks__
Oct 6, 2020 4:06 AM

Apr 2014
If I've already lost interest in a show, the last episode won't do anything for me. Fate Apocrypha is one of these shows. 2 amazing fight scenes later on in the show, but it was such a borign road towards it, that I fell asleep during both of them.
Oct 6, 2020 4:22 AM

Jan 2020
1- Nah, It's not THAT hard to make a chill inducing fight

2-If a show made me cry then it's getting a 10, Even if the show sucked ass, That's just a rule I've put, So yeah, It'll be far from low

3-Yeah, It'd be interesting to see how they pull it off

4- Nah, I'm not really big on ships

5-Yeah actually, A show being clever is pretty freaking rare, So it'd crank it up a bit
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Oct 6, 2020 4:48 AM

Dec 2017
Yep recently did it with GoH. The characters and the story are fucking boring, the comedy just fell short, the villain is uninteresting.
But the animations are goddamn cool, I am giving a 6 just as a pity point. If the animation wasn't this good, I'd probably only give it a 4 or 5 max.
Oct 6, 2020 4:54 AM

Dec 2015
The first 5-10 minutes do everything for me.

As if the show is shit in those first ep's the feeling I have in my stomach would not disappear just because a few better scenes in the last ep's.

Even if God of Highschool had a amazin last fight it was shit thanks to the pacing and nothing can fix that.
Burn The Witch got annoying cast, the PLOT itself was so stupid when they explained it at the start of the show.
Nothing could save those two shows in my case, what ever happens my feeling of it would not disappere.

Oct 6, 2020 5:02 AM

Aug 2017
The last episode is just a culmination of the previous storyline told from earlier episodes, it cannot reach a satisfactory ending without other episodes contributing to the climax unless it pulls it out of nowhere. So either 1 or 2 points increased, depending on what score I originally rated it.

We are only here for a short amount of time, I want to waste as much of that time possible doing nonsense
Oct 6, 2020 5:04 AM

Nov 2019
steins gate was a but the second half was aight so i gave it a 6
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Oct 6, 2020 5:05 AM

Aug 2013
JASHINRYUU said:
Suppose you are watching a series but it was boring but somehow you ended up completing it. But in the last episode you were just overtaken by emotion in the last episode for eg.
1-The action sequence in the last episode was just so well choreographed that you got chills.
2- The last episode had so good soundtrack or ending that you got chills/emotional/made you cry
4-The "ship" which you had been rooting for, sailed in the last episode and had a happy ending.

Will you still score the series low irrespective of emotions you felt in just the last episode.

1. Don't care about action sequences.
2. If anime has good soundtrack, it is not limited to last episode
3. Sometimes.
4. Nope. For example I supported Yui in OREGAIRU, but they handled very well the ending with Yukino so it didn't change my opinion on this series (even if Yui >>>>>>> Yukino)
5. Maybe a little, but my ratings are almost always based on series as a whole, not just single episode.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 6, 2020 5:08 AM

Aug 2014
I mean, if the last episode makes use of some things in the boring stuff before in a good way, then sure, I'll give it a little credit but not much more than a point tho.
Oct 6, 2020 5:10 AM
Aug 2020
JASHINRYUU said:

I don't really do scores but if I was actually bored by a series I would probably drop it quickly. If I am looking for entertainment and I am not being entertained then it kinda fails at it's job then.

Hypothetically if I did review and score it then probably yes. Considering I would have to sit through tedium to get to the good stuff.
Oct 6, 2020 5:13 AM

Jul 2016
That's probably happened to me. I remember being completely apathetic towards Naruto Shippuden, right up until the main story ended, they did the final fight, it was amazing and then they kicked off the epilogue episodes, which are better than the entire rest of the show. They probably bumped my score for Shippuden up a point right at the end.
Oct 6, 2020 5:15 AM

Jul 2019
Yes. My scores are from enjoyment and a good ending is enjoyable. If a show is a complete clusterfuck but the last episode is nice then it will get a higher score
Oct 6, 2020 5:16 AM

Oct 2019
For me it kinda depends on whether the last episode is so good that it makes me appreciate the others more. So I've got 2 examples of this:
-K_On!! (season 2) has probably some of the best last few episodes however while I was watching the first 20 or so I was kinda bored at times. However watching the last few episodes really made me appreciate the series as a whole and think back on all the best moments in the series.
-Made In Abyss the last 3 episodes would all be 9s or 10/10s however I didn't really enjoy the first half of the series. I think this is partly because I watched it after it aired so I had massive expectations so when the first 10 or so episodes didn't come close to those expectations it really disappointed me. However, with the last few episodes it creates such an amazing arc and it's deffinatly a 9-10/10 arc however it doesn't really make me appreciate the rest of the story more so still kept the score low for that series however now that it's in its stride I fully expect that when I get around to watching the movie it will get a higher score that (from what I've heard) it will deserve.
Oct 6, 2020 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
An episode isn't the whole series, so majority wins.
Oct 6, 2020 5:34 AM

Oct 2018
a good ending certainly boost a good score. But overall quality still matters.
Oct 6, 2020 5:38 AM

Oct 2014
I have overall scores for what I thought of the anime, so if the ending was good even though the series was shit I might give it a +1.
Oct 6, 2020 6:36 AM
Jul 2020
No, the ending definitely impacts me. I thought Assassination classroom was a pretty average anime but I gave the second season a 9 just because of how impactful the ending was.
Oct 6, 2020 7:10 AM

Oct 2019
I feel like I might change the score to make it a little bit higher, but that's all.
Oct 6, 2020 7:11 AM

Jul 2020
Maybe a point up. Not much more. Happened with series like Regalia or Absolute Duo, but still weren´t that good.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Oct 6, 2020 8:25 AM

Sep 2014
If the early episodes served as a payoff for the great ending, then yes I would increase the score.

If the early episodes were all pointless and the only relevant part of the anime was the final, then no I would not increase the score.
Oct 6, 2020 8:27 AM

Aug 2016
I'll probably rate it 1 point higher than I originally intended in that case.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 6, 2020 7:27 PM

Jun 2015
i dont have the attention span of a small child so i rate based on totality

Oct 6, 2020 7:31 PM

Apr 2020
I won't forget my suffering of going through those episodes just because the ending was good. Thats why school days DOESN'T deserve a 10 D:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2020 7:34 PM

Jan 2019
Add 1 score for me
Or maybe even 2 if I scored it 4/10 originally

From 6/10 -> 7/10
From 4/10 -> 6/10
From 3/10 -> 4/10????
Oct 6, 2020 7:35 PM

Feb 2010
i found clannad season 1 okay, but after after story i bumped up it's score because of how well they planned that all out.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 6, 2020 8:14 PM

Jul 2012
It has happened to me that the last 3 or 4 episodes pick up and it boosts my score. Recently, for example, I went from 5 to 6 with Appare-Ranman! because I started to enjoy the show in the last episodes.
This has never happened to me with only one episode, though. Don't think it will either, because if I'm bored and I don't really care about the story/characters in the run of the entire show I probably won't have any emotional response at their conclusion, no matter how good it is.
Oct 6, 2020 8:24 PM

Nov 2018
It's better to have a great ending rather than a shit ending as people's opinions of a show often stem from how it concludes and how well the final episode sticks to memory. A good example is Code Geass R2.

If it does well to improve in the final episode or two, I might be willing to bump up the score a bit.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 6, 2020 8:36 PM

Jan 2012
I rate on the overall enjoyment. I would need to feel that the last episode made a significant contribution to the overall impression of the series to consider moving my rating just for that.

For a fantastic last episode to a shitty series, I may add 1 point.
For a totally shit last episode to a good series, I'll probably subtract multiple points.

A bad final episode does more to ruin a good series than a good final episode does to save a bad series.

OreImo is a prime example of how the last episode can ruin everything.
NyaaOct 6, 2020 8:41 PM
Oct 6, 2020 8:44 PM

Dec 2018
With a case like that, I often just choose to not score it at all, as I'm too conflicted to be sure what i think. that said, my overall opinion of the show will likely be more positive because of it
Oct 6, 2020 9:28 PM

Jun 2020
yes, i score anime completely based on plot, development, narratives, etc. not based on enjoyment, bla bla
Oct 9, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2017
If the ending its a mess, im going to lower my score!
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 9, 2020 10:20 AM
Apr 2018
I score everything that I disliked or hated 4 and lower, sometimes that includes boring series. If they ending is reaally good to me, I'd most likely score it a 5 as "average". 6 seems reasonable if the ending made me feel that going through all the episodes was worth it.
Oct 9, 2020 10:24 AM

Feb 2018
If my lovely chara get rape / ntr... I will also give low score if Isekai is not op mc
Oct 9, 2020 10:27 AM

May 2012
The last episode ain't enough. There are plenty of series where the second half was on another level from the first half... Then yeah.
Oct 9, 2020 6:09 PM

May 2020
it depends. I'm patient with series/movies because I let things build. If it's slow paced, but builds to a great ending or third act (like Audition or something), then I will rate it high. If it's slow an builds to nothing or leaves many things unanswered (Tokyo Ghoul root A), it's getting a bad score
I said with a posed look
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 35 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
28 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Maou_heika »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.