Forum Settings
Forums

Do you guys include anime you watched as a kid on your lists?

New
Jul 23, 2020 9:16 AM

Apr 2020
sup homies,

so do you or do you not include anime on your MAL lists that you watched when you were quite young? like ages 6 to 13 or whatever

for example ive included shows like Sailor Moon, Beyblade, Medarot, Inuyasha, on my list cus i did watch them a ton when i was a kid and remember a fair bit like the overall plot and characters and etc. but i do feel it's kind of cheating a little bit, since i was a kid i enjoyed watching it but had no sense of analysis or whats really "good".
with the shows i mentioned id probably never rewatch now as an adult because i dont think id have the patience to go through them all again, and also since im sure a lot of my fond memories of them come from watching them as a child, so i sort of dont want to taint their memory.

what do you guys do and think? and building on that, would you say you need to have a certain mental age to really appreciate shows for what they are? does it differ with every anime? and how would you reconcile the discrepancies between watching a show as a kid vs an adult in how you view the content as a whole?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2020 9:24 AM

Jul 2019
I personally include the anime I’ve watched as a child on my list. Even with the nostalgic value and such that these titles hold, I trust myself to be able to score them relatively accurately.

I will say that there are only a handful of titles that I’ve watched before age 13 (Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and a bunch of movies). So I’ve been able to rewatch/partially rewatch/complete most of them at an older age, and I’ve found my prior ratings to be fair (and anything I haven’t rewatched yet I definitely will in the future).
Jul 23, 2020 9:31 AM

Sep 2010
Well the only three I didn't include was Ultimate Muscle cause I don't think 4Kids ever let it finish its complete run and the first Pokemon TV series since I only saw episodes here and there when I skipped school or watched it on VHS tapes I got from Walmart.

The last one is Medabots cause I don't think they showed all the episodes either at least to my knowledge or it changed to a local station I couldn't get at the time which I can now lol, but there is no cartoons/anime on local stations anymore just educational programming. xD

I did rate all the anime I watched as a kid and I think they hold true cause I just watched my DVDs of the first original Digimon Adventure and my feelings towards the series did not change one bit as when I was a child same for 02 and Tamers.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Jan 2020
Yes, but only if I've completed the shows, or know how many episodes I watched of the shows. As an example, although I watched a lot of episodes of Crayon Shin-chan as a child, I didn't include it since I haven't finished the entire series and I also don't know how many episodes I watched of it. But I added Doraemon (1979) and Pokémon to my list since I remember watching entirety of both of these shows.

Apr 2020
The only one I included was Dragon Ball Z, because I know I watched everything. When I started my list I considered including others, but since I don't remember if I watched everything, like Digimon seasons, I choose to not include.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jul 23, 2020 9:34 AM

Dec 2017
Unless I re-watch or have a relatively fresh memory of them, I don't.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jul 23, 2020 9:35 AM

May 2019
Yes, the completed ones that not only i remember very well but also had an important role in my imagination back there.

For example Peter Pan no Gakuen was my very first contact with Peter Pan classic overall, even before disney or whatever.
Jul 23, 2020 9:41 AM

May 2014
I don't, like Dragon ball, Ghost fighter, Baki & etc I remember watching them but forgot what was going on. But I included Naruto since it was on tv and the anime has a lot of flashbacks so i don't get confused.
Jul 23, 2020 9:44 AM

Aug 2016
Most of them. But there might be at least 10 anime I havent include (maybe way more), mainly because I watched just a few episodes. They could easily go in my drop list, though, but it´s not like I drop them because I find them boring. I just didnt finished them. that´s all.
:v
Jul 23, 2020 9:47 AM

Dec 2018
I didn't include Inuyasha coz I watched it when I was like 5 and it's been decades now. I can't remember anything, not even how badly written the romance is, since it's the the author of Maison Ikkoku after all.

I did include some manga, because I could still remember quite a bit and they remind me of good times. It's my list so yeah, I can do anything I want.
. . .
Jul 23, 2020 9:50 AM
Sep 2018
i included the ones i remember watching, i'm sure i forgot some of them
naruto and the ghibli movies are the ones i liked the most when i was a kid so i had to put them in my list
Jul 23, 2020 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
I only added Ghibli stuff because I have no idea which episodes of yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and Digimon I watched so I just didn't bother to add them.
Jul 23, 2020 10:23 AM

Jul 2019
if I can remember the episodes I've watched, then sure. Like I watched Pokemon as a child but I'm not even sure which episodes I've seen so I won't be adding that to my list
Jul 23, 2020 10:24 AM

Oct 2019
Only if I remember more than one scene of it, I watched a good bit of things like digimon but can't really remember them so I won't add em.
Hi :)
Jul 23, 2020 10:28 AM

Nov 2018
The only show on TV that I completely watched in my childhood was ATLA, the rest is stuff like Pokemon, Beyblade, and Yu Gi Oh! which were sporadically watched over the years. I think I only watched 60-70 episodes of Pokemon, so I wouldn't put anything down from my childhood on my list.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jul 23, 2020 10:33 AM

Aug 2009
Yes, usually marked as dropped since, well, that's what I basically did as a kid, and I'll most likely never follow up on them and complete them as an adult.

I'll let LittleKuriboh finish Yu-Gi-Oh! for me, even if it might take a few years.

Jul 23, 2020 10:53 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
no, as i don't remember how much of them i've really seen, which is a shame really, i would love to include them in my list, but they don't fit any currently existing tab, as provided by MAL(as in watching, completed, etc.).
but you definitely don't need to feel like you're cheating, it's your list and you can do with it whatever you want.
but again, i have to admit that a 'nostalgia' tab, or something like that, that doesn't count towards your watched time\episodes, but still has a place on one's list is very appealing to me. stuff like dbz, yu-gi-oh, digimon, shinzo, medabots, bobobobo, beyblade, inuyasha, ranma 1\2 and tons of others mean a lot to me, as a part of my anime history and just my childhood in general so i would love to squeeze them in somehow, but it just doesn't work with the function and options that are relevant to me on MAL.
Jul 23, 2020 11:07 AM

Jan 2008
I include all anime I've seen. I've watched it so I include it. I like my list to be as complete as possible.
Jul 23, 2020 11:15 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
A lot of the shows I watched when younger I rewatched later on as well. So yeah I counted it.
Jul 23, 2020 11:16 AM

May 2015
Already did back in 2015 when I created my account.
Jul 23, 2020 11:20 AM

Dec 2010
Yeah of course, i mean if i remember it well why not.
Jul 23, 2020 11:24 AM
May 2020
In a short answer, no. Long answer is I do not because I did at times skip episodes and it’s just going to a hassle remembering the anime’s I watched as a kid.

P. S. I only remember watching pokémon, dragon ball Z, naruto, and a few other.
Jul 23, 2020 11:32 AM
Jun 2020
Yup! I have all the dragon ball series from the movies to all the seasons and sequels. I did watch them like 3 or 4 years ago but they still are fresh clear on my mind. Also some anime I watched when I was 6 (Snow Fairy) I also have added and rated them high mostly from nostalgia
Jul 23, 2020 11:44 AM

Aug 2016
I rewatch all the shows that I watched as a kid to eliminate this problem. Most of the child shows I don't recall watching everything to completion anyways thanks to baseball playing over the scheduled shows whenever there is a game on.
Jul 23, 2020 11:50 AM

Jul 2019
Only if I've rewatched them after I became anime addict. That's why series like Pokemon and Digimon are not on my list.
Jul 23, 2020 11:57 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I only set them as completed when I've seen all episodes available in my country. Have I only seen a few they're thrown to the on hold or dropped list.
Jul 23, 2020 11:59 AM

Feb 2019
Definitely not since I never thought of them as anime when I watched them.
Jul 23, 2020 12:08 PM

Mar 2016
Of course, although it was only one...

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Jul 23, 2020 12:18 PM
Feb 2014
What a stupid question this is, of course, i add all anime i ever watched if i can remember i did.

I'm not sure about anime but i can tell you this, some cartoons i watched as an adult did feel different and not as charming as they did when i watched them as a child.

But that may have something to do with the fact that as an adult i watched them dubbed in my native language which wasn't that good while as i child i had watched them in german which was far superior in quality.

There's of course anime i'm not sure would hold up to rewatching, but others i'm confident i would still enjoy all the same now such as the World Masterpiece Theater series!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 23, 2020 12:27 PM
May 2019
I'm too lazy to add everything that I watched since I was a kid.
Jul 23, 2020 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Of course, because I never stopped watching anime since I'm a kid. It wouldn't make sense to exclude the anime I watched before a certain period of my life when I was just continuing watching anime all along.
Jul 23, 2020 12:37 PM
Dec 2018
Yes, I included a lot of Anime that i've watched when i was a kid.
Crayon Shin Chan, Doraemon, Idaten Jump, Pokemon, Bayblade, Bakugan etc.
Jul 23, 2020 12:44 PM

Jun 2020
YES! There are way too many OG anime like Shin-chan, Doraemon (The best), Perman, Ninja Hattori-kun, Kiteretsu and more, those are anime too, I see no reason to why I shouldn't add them. I mean yes, the time I watched that I didn't know it was anime, but still I'm allowed to add it. All of those anime, I remember all of their episodes picture perfectly, Idk why I remember so many, at least 3000 episodes so clearly, maybe its cause I had better memory as a child, but I do remember them all. Even now I still watch some of them, especially Doraemon, that anime will always be a big part of my life.

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 23, 2020 12:57 PM
Oct 2018
I personally don't, I use MAL for know the animes I've seen in my "Anime-phase".
Jul 23, 2020 2:03 PM

Jun 2015
if i remember/can hold a conversation about it, yes

Jul 23, 2020 2:15 PM

Apr 2018
I don't.
Put simply, i want my list to be as accurate as it can be, and since i can't possibly recall the exact number of episodes i watched of any given series as a kid, i don't bother including those.

It's the main reason why i haven't added stuff like DBZ, Ranma 1/2 and Sailor Moon in my list, despite having watched a lot of those in my childhood.
Jul 23, 2020 2:27 PM

Aug 2010
I do add them to the list, but I don't score the ones that I couldn't remember or I couldn't tell what I feel about it. Back then almost every show was interesting and good, I don't think I'd think of them the same way now. I'm sure there are shows that we appreciate more when we were younger, and shows that we only get to appreciate when we are older. I especially feel it in how I lost interest in the shoujo category, even though it was my favorite in my younger years.
Jul 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Oct 2014
I don't see why one wouldn't if they finished or seen most of the show at a young age. If you're talking in the critical and analytical sense, then I suppose it only matters when it comes to rating it. Most don't take their ratings seriously or give it much thought anyway.

I've covered pretty much every anime I've seen from like 4 and on. Some had slipped my mind that I added many years later like Doraemon and Hamtaro. Granted, I started following anime at 9, so I wouldn't have as many conflicting factors as someone who was say in their teens or older.
Jul 23, 2020 3:06 PM

Apr 2020
nice there seems to be quite a spectrum in choices regarding the matter!

i personally like the idea that was mentioned by some of you of only including anime if you've watched the show to completion. i think that makes more sense, and then leaving out shows watched sporadically i.e. in my case doraemon and shin-chan which id just watch if it came on tv but i wasnt that invested in it

on a side note has anyone here actually watched all of pokemon? as in from the first kanto season up to the most recent ones being released
Jul 23, 2020 4:33 PM

Jan 2020
Of course I do. I don't see why not. Although the only one I know for a fact I finished is Dragon Ball Z. For the others, I did something different.

My solution for the "I don't know how many episodes I watched" problem is putting it on hold, without a score and with no amount of episodes watched. At some point I'll rewatch them, and only after I do so I can confidently say I finished them.

But until then, they're on hold, since it's precisely the state they're in if I haven't completed them or watched them in years, but still plan to give them another chance. I don't believe in the "I don't want to taint my memories" mentality. On the contrary, I like revisiting stuff I used to enjoy, from a new perspective.
Jul 23, 2020 4:42 PM

Dec 2009
Yeah, for sure.
Although unfortunately I don't remember when I watched some even though I had an old paper list since 2008 before I realized what anime was or found MAL.
From Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Battle B Damon.

Although I don't include hentai or doujinshi to my list.
I have a separate account which unfortunately I had a hard time recovering since it's connected through a gmail, but it wouldn't feel right to have a longer list of completed "anime" and "manga" by adding doujinshi and hentai with unknown dates as to when I watched them.
Jul 23, 2020 4:44 PM

Oct 2014
I saw barely any anime as a kid and I think Arrietty is the only one I haven't rewatched, but I still include them. They're anime I've watched regardless of when I did so.
Jul 23, 2020 4:46 PM

Feb 2019
I do include the ones I know I've watched and finished.
Jul 23, 2020 4:49 PM
Apr 2018
I didn't really start getting into anime until my sophomore year of High School, and I didn't know about MAL until senior year. Until I found MAL, I kept my own list through Google Docs. Everything on that list (2 years of anime) I moved directly to MAL. Everything from before I starting getting into anime (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dinosaur King, and any other Saturday morning cartoons) were not put on the list.

I hope this helps.
You can only try so hard, right?
Jul 23, 2020 4:53 PM

Jul 2019
No, the only thing it would do is fuck up my MAL stats, I can't tell you much either about animes I've watched at a very young age (Pokemon, Beyblade, Ghibli) so really I have no reason to do it.
Jul 23, 2020 4:54 PM

Aug 2018
I do if I know how much I've watched, there are some I know I watched in its entirety (all the Dragonball series and all the DBZ movies from back then, Saint Seiya, Pokémon movies, Slam Dunk, Digimon Adventure), and there are cases like Pokémon and Kinnikuman (which I have as dropped since I don't foresee myself finishing them any time soon) where I know how many episodes I've watched at the very least.

Everything else I have written down in my profile page and have been trying to knock some of them down (and the ones I have I delete from that list), right now I'm watching Detective Conan and from the first 52 episodes there was only one I didn't remember watching back in the day.
Jul 23, 2020 5:00 PM

Apr 2014
If I only watched a few scattered episodes, no. If I don't remember it beyond, "Oh yeah, I watched some of that," no. If I watched a significant portion of it and remember it well enough, yeah.

...I could probably add another entire rewatch to Digimon Frontier simply from the number of times the station reran the Floramon, Dokuwamon, and Raremon episodes, not to mention the times it'd get to the middle and then start over from the beginning. Argh.
Jul 23, 2020 5:08 PM

Jul 2020
Yes

I've included the anime that I can remember best.

I had a list [text document] that had the ratings, dates of when I started to watch, and when I completed the show in question as well as my own thoughts and comments.

Now I use MAL instead it's far easier.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2020 5:12 PM
Aug 2018
if i have them in my dvds collection or i have them in my list what did when i was a kid and remember the history of the anime.
Jul 23, 2020 5:18 PM
Jan 2019
If you can’t remember what you watched then it doesn’t count. If you don’t remember the story, it’s just as good as you never even watched it. So I probably wouldn’t.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

28 by MogKnight »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

20 by 707supremacist »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

16 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

57 by MogKnight »»
8 minutes ago

» So is Shin-Chan actually G rated and the Funimation Dub was like Ghost Stories or is it Adult in nature like Oruchuban Ebichu

vasipi4946 - 50 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.