Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 26, 2020 11:35 PM

Mar 2019
A good day to cry a bit...

9/10... one of the few good series in this poor winter season...

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Mar 27, 2020 1:47 AM
Wolfie

Oct 2009
Did anyone else cry their eyes out like I did at the end? I have no shame admitting that 😭 this anime has been a gem in my life, I loved every second of it. So pure and beautiful ♥️♥️ Definitely one of my new favorites and I’m really hoping we get another season in the future.
I am the wind, wild and free. Come chase me and you will see. Dare you follow me into my dark abyss, Tread carefully should your heart go amiss. I left this world on swift paw. My fur shimmering without a flaw. I only come on night's wing. When the moon is full I do sing. The saddest of requiems, the loneliest song. You never saw me all along. For I am only in your dreams, in your Nightmares.
Mar 27, 2020 2:03 AM

Feb 2015
Got really excited at the end where somali tries to prevent the Golem to walk out of his life, got really chills. Almost cries, the loli looked so desperate to not let her daddy leave them. For people that had this experience in real life, I can see many flashbacks to see it.
"Miharu denki desu"
Mar 27, 2020 3:38 AM

Nov 2013
Koshi_Inaba said:
Was good overall, although I still prefer the manga, it was still very good. 8/10. Really hoping one day when there's enough chapter, they will make a 2nd season
I really want to see Sakura animated.

It's too bad the manga seems to be on hiatus right now. Hopefully it will resume regular serialization soon.
wow, that's a lot of juicy info right there... where did you read it? I suppose it's not yet translated, but if it's available online, please share the source.
Mar 27, 2020 3:47 AM
Jul 2009
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Koshi_Inaba said:
Was good overall, although I still prefer the manga, it was still very good. 8/10. Really hoping one day when there's enough chapter, they will make a 2nd season
I really want to see Sakura animated.

It's too bad the manga seems to be on hiatus right now. Hopefully it will resume regular serialization soon.
wow, that's a lot of juicy info right there... where did you read it? I suppose it's not yet translated, but if it's available online, please share the source.

Its from volume 6 of the manga and I read the raw, but I think the official translation has also reached volume 6

https://www.amazon.com/Somari-Guardian-Forest-Vol-6-ebook/dp/B083RSD6RZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=somali+and+the+forest+spirit&qid=1585306281&sprefix=somali+and+t&sr=8-2
Koshi_InabaMar 27, 2020 3:52 AM
Mar 27, 2020 4:20 AM

Feb 2014
As I thought it would, the final episode was heavy on the emotions and the tense confrontation between Somali and Golem towards the end of the episode succeeded in having me tear up more than once. T_T

The happier ending was something I wasn't expecting, though, but I'm satisfied with how this ending played out. Golem doesn't have a lot of time left, but it was great to see him making a vow to stick with Somali for as long as he could. The fact that the pair of them were still traveling with Yabashira and Shizuno at the end brough a big smile on my face. =)

Overall, this show was a proper surprise for me. Charming visuals, lovely OP and ED songs, with the ED's CGI animation quality putting most shows' CGI efforts this season to shame, great character development and an impressive soundtrack made each episode very satisfying. Plus, this show didn't hold back its punches with how dark the story got when we got to Hattori and Uzoi's backstory.

8/10 is my final score. Well deserved. ^_^
Mar 27, 2020 4:32 AM
Apr 2018
Buckets of tears. Just how good, heartwarming and tearjerking this episode was? I came here because I was attracted with the background art, but Somali and Golem relationship made me stay.

Definitely in my top 5 winter anime 2020.
Mar 27, 2020 8:33 AM

Dec 2016
FMmatron said:
P.S. Should I start reading from the very beginning or from the chapter where this episode left off?

If you would start to read from where this episode left off you would need only to read 1 chapter (Ch32) xD So I recommend to you to read from the first chapter. :)
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.163/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Mar 27, 2020 9:20 AM

Apr 2016
Easily best anime of the season for me.Hope we will get season 2 :)
BRAWLERS
Mar 27, 2020 11:39 AM
Mar 2020
when i started watching the anime i really loved it, but the last couple episodes kinda felt too rushed in my opinion. there were only 12 episodes so ofcourse they couldnt end it just there. but i kinda expected more in the last episode. although i still did cry my eyes out and i still really like the anime. and now i need season 2 because the story and world itself still needs to be explored.

i think while i was watching i gave it a 9/10 but after i finished its an 8/10 for me. i really need season 2 now.
Mar 27, 2020 3:59 PM

Aug 2018
This and Eizouken ended up being the best shows of the season imo. They were the two with the most heart and care embedded onto 'em.

From character design, to the great world building, and ambient ost that immersed you. It did its job really well for its 12 episode run. Having all that said, though, I wouldn't exactly call it a must watch either. It could definitely have the potential to be that assuming there being much more in the manga, and further being able to take strides in its strengths and story. I could see it becoming a classic depending on how far it could push itself in those regards.

Giving this one a 8 out of 10. It was the closest anime to make me cry this season admittedly, and I want to see what continues to happen in the Golem and Somali's journey.
KusogakiRenfirMar 29, 2020 6:07 AM
Mar 27, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
I cried a lot just as I expected u,wu
Mar 27, 2020 6:46 PM

Aug 2018
The extermination mode was badass, truly looked like a final strike.

It concluded on a good note. Honestly, even if I desire another season or anything, I'd be feel satisfied enough with an open ending like that. Sometimes it's better to leave the rest to your viewers/readers' imagination ! But I also believe that such a huge universe could be explored further, at least to find a sort of human shelter : depends on the author's will to pursue the story or not I guess.
Mar 27, 2020 7:42 PM
Sep 2017
Damn, this hit me in the feels.
Mar 27, 2020 9:53 PM
Jan 2016
Anime of the season for me, personally. The world building in this show was absolutely top notch. Easily among the best I've seen in a long time....and the art is just fucking gorgeous at some points to top it off.
Mar 28, 2020 8:26 AM

Dec 2013
As much of a happy ending as this show can possibly get, that final part asking why would he abandon her was so touching, Minase Inori did a great job and even Ono Daisuke giving Golem finally some emotion to his voice.
Mar 28, 2020 10:36 AM

May 2015
I find this anime quite boring. oh well.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 28, 2020 1:51 PM

Jun 2016
the ending should that golem dead to make this anime more interesting !!!

3/10
Mar 28, 2020 2:29 PM

Apr 2019
The background music, Golem's tears, Somali's voice full of pain, their strong father-daughter-bond!

The friends they've made along the way, the journey they won't let come to an end!

The feels & heartbreaks, what an emotional rollercoaster!

Their promise of together forever!

Bon voyage! :')
Mar 28, 2020 7:36 PM

Oct 2008
So, it end-up being open-ended.
Golem miraculously gained emotions huh!
lot of feels indeed.
5/5.
8/10.

Mar 28, 2020 11:52 PM

Apr 2015
A very basic show; extremely simple premise, easy to read but relevant message, solid script with decent production.

Similarly simple to SSR, but wasn't as impactful or aesthetically potent as that one. Still had its unique merits; the nature backgrounds were always beautiful, and I liked the strange contrast between Inorin's strong traditional seiyuu-moe acting, OnoD's expressive deep acting and Nanami's singular offkilter voice, even if they weren't exactly perfect individually.

To me a show that does the bare minimum of a good show; never spectacular but even so, not many shows a season even reach that minimum. 6/10.
Mar 29, 2020 12:58 AM

Jul 2013
Man, I really loved this show. While simple on the surface it is quite complex under that surface. It slowly develops a parent, child relationship while also having really in-depth world-building and handles the topic of racism very well. Mix that in with a beautiful ost and amazing background art and I feel you can't go wrong.

For me, it is rare to see a show do so much right if I am being honest. Easily going onto my favorites.
Mar 29, 2020 6:55 AM

May 2019
THis was really sad, but really good. A bittersweet ending, and definitely an unexpected one. I definitely thought we'd see golem die, but I'm actually glad it's left open ended. It's foreboding - and that makes for a speculative ending.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Mar 29, 2020 11:35 AM

Jan 2020
Well, that felt like a journey. Beautiful, I recommend looking up manga's art because it's also beautiful
I like Somali's new outfit, but I wonder what happened to the old one. I hope her and Golem's story will end well.
HoruhoMar 29, 2020 11:47 AM
...-su.
Mar 29, 2020 12:48 PM

Jul 2009
I am glad they didn't show Golem's death.
Mar 29, 2020 11:44 PM

May 2019
AmineDane said:
Good ending. I thought for sure Golem would die though.

Yeah, I thought from the very start he'd die. Its nice how the show ended with the idea that Golem would live on forever alongside Somali, dead or alive.

Mar 30, 2020 1:18 AM

Sep 2018
"Time remaining : unknown" T----T

When Yabashira hold Somali in his arms, Golem think he's not needed anymore :( This makes me cry!! Wahhhh :(

8/10. I hope there's season 2!!!!! And please... I don't want a sad ending :( make Golem live for a hundred years!!
Mar 30, 2020 2:59 AM

Sep 2013
Brilliant ending with Golem finally accepting he has emotions, but that doesn't change the fact he has a finite life span with less than a year left and for all we know nothing can change that. Really hope there is a season 2 to get some closure on that part.

Minase Inori was absolutely amazing as always, any character she plays crying will always set me off.
Mar 31, 2020 10:20 AM

May 2012
A really wonderful anime I must say. From start to end the character progression was just amazing especially for the Golem.

Seriously interesting world as well and while they didn't seem to have finished their journey yet it might as well be at a good stopping point as it would have been really sad to witness Somali losing him.

Still I'd love to explore this amazing world further as while rather human hating, which had it's own great yet quite grotesque back story really made it impressive and constantly interesting yet frightening for Somali.

Still the way the episodes went, the people they met, the back story and traits of these were all really amazing to see.

What I really loved is how well the episodes stitched together especially if you're watching it in one go like me that they never made any huge jumps between episodes that time or place progressed yet we pretty much passed the whole remaining lifespan of the Golem to the end point of this anime.

Either way really loved this anime as it really had an amazing atmosphere reminded me even a bit off binchou-tan, and in general I really found it a great anime with a superb pacing!
Mar 31, 2020 10:21 AM
Mar 2019
Been a while since a series made me feel so emotional. Please protect Somali's smile.
Apr 1, 2020 4:03 AM
Oct 2014
A great story slightly marred by an overly excessive "humans bad" narrative. 9/10.
Apr 1, 2020 4:10 AM

Mar 2011
Sadly as with most manga adaptations I pretty much saw this ending coming, given that I heard the manga was unfinished they wouldn't kill off the golem unless they wanted to make an anime exclusive ending.

None the less it was a sweet ending and I would love to see more in the future.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Apr 1, 2020 5:35 AM
Mar 2012
Nice open ending that feels conclusive with Somali & Golem's great family dynamic.
Some episodes kinda bored but painterly backgrounds were consistently great & pulls into the fascinating world.

Apr 1, 2020 10:01 AM
Nov 2019
الحين أشوف الحلقة الاخيرة بعد قرن؟؟
Apr 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Jul 2017
Wow.. I smiled, i cried, i felt the frustration and anguish on top of my skin, i felt sad, i felt happy, i felt relieved... i felt many things altogether while watching this show (i'll say that i felt all of these things more on the 2nd half of the anime).

While the 1st half was kind of a slow burner, it managed to describe the world of Somali and the Forest Spirit really well, then it picked up later on, and that's when this anime turned into probably the best thing i've seen in this winter season so far, not kidding, it was THAT great imo. The bond that the Golem and Somali have, was absolutely marvelous.. When he started to cry at the end, i also started to drop a few tears my self, that scene really caught me by surprise.

8/10, really high 8, 8.5 to be more precise eheh.
Apr 1, 2020 9:19 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Truely this can not ended like that. It must had another season, at lesst OVA! Well, Somali and its world universe will always in my heart. And i will always wait for another continuations, maybe i can come up with the manga first. Well, great series, excellent story, a heartbreaking scenes, and cute character, art, sound, to the whole series. As my honor, great show must get great rates, SnMK shall be oraised by it. Yet, this underrated and underwatched show must get more attention, but well, i can not do anything to change people minds. Just wait and see, to what will happen in the future. 9 points.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 1, 2020 10:42 PM

Aug 2017
I predicted almost the entire episode (except for the part of the town they visit):

*The Golem being stopped was screaming: KiLlInG iS bAD, dOn'T bE LiKe ThEm.
*Somali stopping the Golem.
*Aunt Rosa being deleted of the show after being "rescued".
*The Golem escaping so as not to endanger her which doesn't make sense because alone she doesn't survive.
*Yabashira and Shizuno still around just in case.

Overall:

-Plot conveniences.
-Boring.
-Annoying brat.
-Almost all side characters are forgettable
-Drama fails to care about our main characters (mainly) cuz the bad pacing in the first episode.

+Beautiful designs and landscapes.
+Amazing worldbuilding
+Haitora and Uzui drama >>>>>> Somali and the Golem drama

#notagem 4/10 for the anime

NurguburuApr 1, 2020 10:46 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 2, 2020 12:33 PM

Mar 2013
Okay, soooooo.
Can I just say that I hated the ending? XD Please don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this anime a lot and it just gave me that represhing feeling thanks to all the emotions that it convied, but I feel like this wasn't a story that was meant to be finished with a happy ending. My heart got so used to the idea the the golemn with die and that I'll have to prepare all my tissues that it got a bit disappointed when it didn't turn out like that. I didn't read the manga, so I don't know how turn it takes over there, but if there is a second season (which I hope it will), I can't wait to see their adventures.

Overall, it was an enjoyable anime. Not the best of the year in my opinion, but a really good one. :d
Apr 3, 2020 1:34 AM

Mar 2013
A tear-jerker from first to last. Gosh seeing the Golem let out his emotions was heart wrenching. I'm glad he did though. Beautiful show.
Apr 4, 2020 1:15 AM

May 2013
Such a wholesome series ;A;

8/10

I hope Golem Papa gets to live longer somehow, like the elder witch D;
At least Yabashira and Shizu will look after her if he ends up dying </3

Don't return Somali to the humans. They don't deserve her lol
Apr 4, 2020 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
Great ending imo . I was legit embracing myself for the feeltrain impact and still got me tearing up . I'm surely will miss this show the journey between golem and somali the diverse character from oni to witch and the beautiful art in this show is amazing 9/10 will definitely read the manga and rewatch this anime in the future .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Apr 5, 2020 1:08 AM

Jul 2008
Welp it wasn't the ultimate cry time, but it was a mini cry time.

8/10
Apr 6, 2020 3:16 PM
Aug 2018
Meh. We finally get some golem action and then you get the "good guys don't hurt bad guys, no matter how evil they are" thing.
Apr 6, 2020 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Golem's character development was spot on relatable. He starts of with a strong sense of fulfilling a task driven by logic without sentiment. He never believed in spirit, luck and faith but throughout the series he came to realization that there are things logic can't just explain and solve. That scene in the last episode where Golem was conversing with a grandparent that shared that his time is almost up and expressed acceptance and looking forward to watching over his grandchild in spirit. At first Golem dismisses this as mere rubbish but after some time and by the conclusion of the anime he also accepted and shares the grandfather's hope to watch over Somali even in spirit.

10/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 8, 2020 9:24 AM

Feb 2014
This was amazing, I am struggling between 9 and 10.

Clearly, this had an open ending specially because the manga is still on going (I heard of that it's on hiatus? >.< the manga).

I really thought that they would meet again Uzoi, but that didnt happen. Maybe that might still happen in the future.
TechOtakuApr 8, 2020 9:43 AM
Apr 8, 2020 9:55 AM

Feb 2014
Nurguburu said:
I predicted almost the entire episode (except for the part of the town they visit):

*The Golem escaping so as not to endanger her which doesn't make sense because alone she doesn't survive.

Overall:

-Plot conveniences.
-Boring.
-Annoying brat.
-Drama fails to care about our main characters (mainly) cuz the bad pacing in the first episode.

+Amazing worldbuilding

You clearly missed the point here and/or you didnt care about the anime to being with.

- It's not about the Golem going all mad, it's about the love built between Somali and the Golem who have started to have emotions and specially to love Somali. Somali being able to stop Golem at that state only shows the power of those emotions. That already answers your 2 first points.

- The Aunt Rosa being "deleted". What did you expect? That they would do something about her? That city is a dangerous one. Also, the fact that Somali is a human might have already spread. So no point in staying in that city. They had already escaped from there.

- The 4th point. The Golem escaping. When he lost control of himself he realized that he might put in danger Somali (showing again how he cares about her). You probably haven't realized but he already trusted in Yabashira and Shizunu to take care of Somali just in case he really decided to leave or if he died.

- The 5th point. They have met again and they had interests in common, so that's why they are still around.
Apr 8, 2020 2:20 PM

Jun 2015
I was hoping for a non golem collapse, and they brought it down to the wire. very much a tear inducing episode, but I'm now left on a knife edge as mr golem had been counting down days and minutes before he was finished, and unless he can reset that clock or push past it there gonna be even more tears shed!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 8, 2020 2:26 PM

Jun 2015
Nurguburu said:

Overall:

-Plot conveniences.
-Boring.
-Annoying brat.

+Amazing worldbuilding

Could you link to the post when you predicted this? Or can I refer you to as Captain Hindsight from now on?
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 9, 2020 12:46 PM
Nov 2016
I'm not crying, you're crying. Stop it.
Apr 10, 2020 10:25 AM
May 2013
Got to say this episode had me so much! Whhyyy! 😭😭😭😭. I hope there is 2nd season for this.... as I’m like it can’t end there.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.