Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 26, 2020 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, the final episode but it wasn't as crazy as I had thought even with Golem's anger erupting there for a moment.

Glad to see Somali still enjoying life with her new friends. The town festival also had wonders of joy and I think this series' finale serves as a way to celebrate the anime as a whole. Somali and Golem carried this anime together and I think this show is an underrated gem of the season.
Mar 26, 2020 8:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I think the manga is better but this anime was really good ! lovely characters and world
Mar 26, 2020 9:36 AM

Aug 2019
Anime of the season for me, really enjoyed the end as much as I will miss this show. Suppose I need to read the manga now too.
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crowns
When the man comes around.
Mar 26, 2020 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
The inevitable fight between Golem Dad and the creatures of human resentment...it's DAMN frightening how much Golem Dad looks in his very own demonic state and with it, no resentment whatsoever. But Somali managed to calm him down, and in the process, Golem Dad lost his memories of the incident. Despite that, Golem Dad chose to acknowledge his faults against going berserk. Felt a little underwhelmed at this, but it's the same situation over in the manga as well.

As expected, (I presume) the anime-original last half, arriving in another town that rides on the festivity, and Golem Dad being incomprehensible is the norm. More importantly, spending precious time with Somali, but with the remaining time left to leave her to her own devices due to the impending danger if Somali sticks to him more.

Nevertheless, Somali chooses not to agonize and leave Golem Dad alone, and therein lies his affliction of a heart with emotions. HE FINALLY CRIED!

A bittersweet ending for Somali and Golem Dad, the Forest Spirit.

What a fantastic show, definitely an underrated gem and potential AOTS!
Mar 26, 2020 9:45 AM
Jul 2017
Really loved the ending for this, Somali was able to assert herself and win over the logical Golem Dad.

Kinda mad the site won't let me mark the series complete.
Mar 26, 2020 9:54 AM
Sep 2015
I kinda expect for the worst so the happy ending actually surprised me. (Though manga is not end yet so anything can happen, bad or good)

Golem still doesn't talk to Somali about his poor status, but I think deep down Somali knows but doesn't fully understand yet, how severe the situation really is.

And I'd prefer if Somali is a boy instead of a girl.
Mar 26, 2020 9:54 AM

Nov 2016
Dem tears;_;

It was a good finale. Bittersweet and somewhat ambiguous, even tho we know that Golem won't last for long.

But since the manga is still going on, I take it that this was an anime original conclusion(?)

I will definitely check out the manga anyway, because despite liking this adaptation for the nice atmosphere and world , the way things were wrapped up left something to be desired. In particular the pacing felt off at the end.

7,5/10

P.S. Should I start reading from the very beginning or from the chapter where this episode left off?
FMmatronMar 26, 2020 10:10 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Feb 2017
im so upset this ended :''''( honestly was expecting a sad ending but i'm happy with how everything turned out !! im glad somali and golem can stay together for now, even it is isnt for much longer

definitely my fave anime of this season 9/10

placeholder text
Mar 26, 2020 10:05 AM

Dec 2017
the ending was alright, i guess. overall it was pretty boring tbh. at no point was a expecting a somewhat decent conclusion since the ongoing manga and it being far from over
Mar 26, 2020 10:07 AM

Oct 2017
This episode was really touching, specially that last part. Great slice of life anime overall, gonna miss this.
Mar 26, 2020 10:10 AM

Aug 2012
Golem looks like Altair from Assassin's Creed at the end.
Mar 26, 2020 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
I knew when I started this, that I would be crying by the end of it. Or least whatever it ended it off as. A very heartwarming and touching series.

Gonna miss the bundle of joy that is Somali in anime form every week.
Mar 26, 2020 10:36 AM

Feb 2011
That was a pretty cool anime, i didn't get bored watching it in contrast to other shows this season. It could have been better but yeah, the backgrounds were fantastic and the characters were strong and likeable. That was a very emotional final scene, if I had one gripe about the show it would be the author's blatant hatred towards humanity. Now don't get me wrong you can totally depict humanity as bad in fiction but i feel like it didn't have much depth in this story other than "HUMANS BAD"

Either way, my final score is 7/10
Mar 26, 2020 10:42 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty good finale. It was very emotional and I'm glad that Golem and Somali are together even though It won't last long because of Golem's condition. :(

An emotional and heartwarming series this has been.

The manga has been on my plan-to-read list before the anime started airing and this adaptation has given me a reason to start reading.

Mar 26, 2020 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
this really made me tear up.... hmm all things must come to end
Mar 26, 2020 10:52 AM

Oct 2018
Alright, seems like we didn't see a heartbreaking ending after all. Not sure how to feel about it. I kinda wanted a sad ending, but I'm also glad it didn't have one. Weird...

Anyway, this was a really great episode, it sure had some emotional moments, especially at the end. Also, seems like Golems are the protectors of the forests for a reason, they are OP af. You definitely don't want to make a Golem really angry

Overall, this was one the best anime this season, it's probably in my top 3, I've enjoyed it very much! 9/10
Mar 26, 2020 10:58 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode! Got a little ahead of myself and started tearing up during the festival scene and the final outburst scene actually, did anyone do the same? Some tease there...

Golem-kun's got feelings, he has finally admitted it (the act/denial is finally down) and is looking to make the most of whatever is left. Fantastic direction with the flowers in the background, good job! We know that demise and heartbroken Somali is coming nonetheless but it's not time for tears just yet it seems.

Fudge, that scene with the Golem watching Yabashira carry Somali to his arms and taking a step back was soul-crushing. Don't scare me like that, jeez. And then Somali in frantic and the voices fading away in particular gave the whole buildup a lot more of an impact. Whatever the case, I'm just glad she managed to find him again like the first time.

Golem-kun's berserk mode is frightening, damn. Somali's loud outburst that he'll pat her instead and then that playing out exactly like that was so sweet. I was having a slice of cake then and I genuinely didn't know which was sweeter, lol. As such, I really want more of this in animated form but I really don't know if my kokoro can take it but I think I'll have some more all things considered.

Lots of credits to the wonderful VA throughout the course of the show too. In particular, I was in constant praise of Minase-san's performance in really bringing out the human charm in Somali. Didn't particularly like it at the start but totally wooed by the end. She's nailed roles like Chino-chan from Gochuumon Usagi Desu ka, and now this too. Hats off to her!

Ono Daisuke gracing his with his "ikemen no koe" was a treat too! Didn't mind the monotonic performance at all, xD. Hayami Saori's performance in Uzoi's episode, in particular, and Yabashira's Suzuki Tatsuhisa were great too! All round, superb stuff!

Honestly though, I'm not the biggest fan of the Op theme. I like the visuals but the song somehow didn't resonate with me as much as the ED, for instance. Soundtracks were light and really brought out the fantasy feel meanwhile which was really good!

Side Characters this season, Shizuno, Uzoi, Yabashira, Hazel etc., were a big plus for me, too. And the World-building as well. Props to Studio Satelight for a good portion of that. From the very first episode to the last, it's been quite the majestic journey! Good call to take the delay because it has totally delivered in flying colours!

All in all, I'm going to settle with a solid 8/10. A better handling of the "shitty humankind" was a little lacking, I've to say, but the journey of the father-child relationship plus the setting clearly takes the throne.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 26, 2020 11:11 AM

May 2019
Well, good thing that the golem is alive for now. It was an emotional episode for sure but it wasn't as emotional as I expected. 4/5.

Overall, the anime is 8/10 from me. I wonder if there'll be a season 2. I'll wait.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 26, 2020 11:15 AM
Mar 2015
Somali and Dad together forever
Mar 26, 2020 11:42 AM

Dec 2017
While it started slow and somewhat dull, I really came to like this magical journey. Good thing it is not even a bad ending. A very solid anime overall.
Mar 26, 2020 11:48 AM
May 2019
Wholesome show. I guess I can't properly describe the gem this anime is. Glad I've watched it.
Mar 26, 2020 11:59 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Another emotional episode to end the series. I knew Golem going crazy was going to cost more than his left arm as it reduced the amount of time he has left with Somali. Golem felt guilty about so he decided it was best to leave Somali and die alone. Thankfully Somali went after him and convinced him that he needs to spend whatever time he has left with Somali until the very end.

I enjoyed the journey this anime took me in following Somail and The Golem's relationship.This anime made me cry a lot and for that I give it an 8/10.
Mar 26, 2020 12:00 PM

Mar 2017
Well, the trailer was right... I am crying at the end of this anime haha It broke my heart when Golem started to cry and finally admit that he has emotions. I can't tell you how glad I am that Somali & Golem decided to stay with Shizuno & Yabashira!

I really hope and pray this gets a season 2 because I am far from ready to say goodbye to this beautiful anime!
Mar 26, 2020 12:24 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Golem's unleashed form sure was badass though. But the toll to his body though sure was immense both physically and mentally. It was good that Somali was able to bring him to his senses but that was a damm close one. After such an harrowing experience its nice to see Somali and co regain their spirits. Still the changes to his body will take some time for Golem to adjust too. The harvest festival that they stumbled into though sure was a curious one. While the shows present were amusing they sure served to manifest the inner fears that Golem had as a result of his current state. Somali's heartfelt plea sure synthesised well with the floating flowers to make that scene both emotional and unforgettable. Overall an excellent finale that managed to not only allow Golem to save Somali from the hunters but also finalise the strong bond between Somali and Golem as father and daughter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2020 12:29 PM
Jul 2018
Good ending. I thought for sure Golem would die though.
Mar 26, 2020 12:35 PM

Jan 2009
Damn, this is the best show of the season for me, the last few episodes were pretty good.
Mar 26, 2020 12:39 PM
May 2019
this anime was really good !
third best 'NEW' anime in this season for me
7.5/10
Final Score 8/10

i hope we get season 2 quickly
Mar 26, 2020 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
My favorite anime of the season. ♥️ I hope there will be another season in the near future.
Mar 26, 2020 12:52 PM
Aug 2011
I have to say I warmed up to this quite a bit from the first episode where I just found Somali extremely annoying.

It seems they shuffled some chapters around compared to the manga so I don't know how long the oni will stay hanging out with them but for now I like their little traveling family.
Mar 26, 2020 1:07 PM
May 2016
Damn I didn't think there was any way this would get to me, considering you know its coming the whole time, but it got me ;_; Great job by the seiyuu. Good show overall.
Mar 26, 2020 1:19 PM

Mar 2019
Who put onions in my room?..
Mar 26, 2020 1:49 PM
Aug 2017
Damn, Somalis VA was really good in the last scene! Thats a Top Tier perfomance!
Mar 26, 2020 2:32 PM

Jan 2019
This series brought me two really great scenes which show how strong human connection can be.
From the parental love perspective (when its being reciprocated).

Although I felt the storyline to be quite sparse. Thus 8/10
Mar 26, 2020 2:41 PM

Jul 2012
Definitely my favourite show this season, beautiful ending.
I need a 2nd season! I want to see more of Somali and Golem Dad.
Mar 26, 2020 2:59 PM

Oct 2013
As expected, it was a tearjerker.

I could feel the obvious emotional manipulation but hey, it still worked.

Even tho it was bait and a happy ending.
Mar 26, 2020 3:20 PM

Dec 2016
Easily a top 3 for me this season.

So many great memories and emotions watching this.

Some of the ost's were fantastic, especially when Haitora tried to sacrifice himself and also the part at the end with Somali and Golem.
Mar 26, 2020 4:03 PM

Sep 2015
That was a lovely watch. I never imagined that an "emotionless", giant, faceless creature will end up as one of my favorite anime characters of all time.
Mar 26, 2020 4:13 PM

Apr 2015
I was fully expecting Golem to die this episode, but I am honestly relieved that this wasn't the case!

That last scene was an absolute tearjerker and kudos to Inori Minase for delivering a top notch performance!!

Would welcome a second season, but I am glad Somali can atleast travel with her "family" longer!!

Solid 9/10, Great Father/Daughter story with loveable supporting characters, great art (especially the background arts) and fitting soundtrack!!
Mar 26, 2020 4:28 PM

Jan 2018
God this was such a damn comfy series and it's definitely being overlooked as a whole. The story wasn't the strongest and the lore of the world could be fleshed out more, but this definitely was a show you're in for the adventure and growth of Somali and Golem. Right up there this season with Eizouken for me.
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 26, 2020 4:35 PM

Sep 2019
Not the ending i expected but i guess the manga is still ongoing and worth to read.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Mar 26, 2020 4:59 PM

Jul 2012
Definitely anime of the season for me, a real surprise. I'm still amazed by how much I enjoyed this, having started to watch knowing nothing about the sttory.

There's something about this anime that just truly captivated me, the story is direct enough but that doesn't make it any less well done, the characters i grew to really love, their chemistry, the art, the music.. I guess all thing's together really made something special.

Honestly, I did get surprised by how fast things got wrapped in the beginning but it wasn't bad. It was nice seeing the four of them together experiencing the festival and having fun.

Now even though they're together, I truly wonder how long Golem still has... it will be painful if or when the time really comes :/

A great ending to a great show.

Ahhh I will miss this show but I'll most likely be jumping on the manga and see where we go from here :3
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Mar 26, 2020 5:03 PM

Dec 2013
That was such a beautiful ending! 🥺
Really hoping for a second season ❤️
Mar 26, 2020 5:09 PM

Aug 2015
The ending hit so hard and so close to home. I know what it feels like to suddenly lose your dad. At least she didn't lose hers, for now.
Mar 26, 2020 5:54 PM

Jun 2016
Anime of the season on par with Bofuri for me.
I loved this so much, a very good mix of adventure, drama, funny moments, "romantic" plot, great atmosphere.
The character of Somali is so sweet and cheerful and the voice of Inori Minase fit in perfectly.
Hope for a second season.
Mar 26, 2020 7:02 PM

Mar 2018
This show was aight. Just like with most of the shows this season, I kinda lost interest in this show. Maybe I'm just burned out of watching anime but from all the shows I saw this season, I was forcing myself to watch all of them except Haikyuu and Dorohedoro. I was liking the show quite a bit in the 1st half and it's not like I hated the 2nd half so I'm debating if I should give it 5 or 6.
Mar 26, 2020 8:08 PM

Feb 2011
i actually cried at the end of this
god damn.

Mar 26, 2020 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
Considering how dark this series can be sometimes, I was totally expecting Golem-san to massacre those bandits so in a sense, seeing him just tossing them to the side was kinda disappointing.
And by the way, Rosa was saved by Somali but the action didn't get major importance in the end. I mean, it could have been a nice moment to emphasise the fact that she was saved by the race she hates the most and make her have a change of heart or something similar but she was quickly forgotten in the next scene. Such a shame but well.

Anyways, satisfying final episode to conclude a very good series. The final scene with Somali and Golem was nicely handled and though it's obvious that Golem-san won't last long, I liked they decided to conclude their story (for now) in a hopeful note.

It has been a nice ride overall. Absolutely liked the world as well as the atmosphere and the story was engaging enough but I think what I loved the most was the character design of some of the races. Some of them were really cool and particularly, I really loved the witches and the level of detail their designs have. If a sequel is announced someday, I would love to see them again.

7/10
SouthRzVaMar 26, 2020 10:06 PM
Mar 26, 2020 10:44 PM

Aug 2017
and that't the last episode. Somali and Golem will surely be missed.
I wonder what will happen to our MC for their succeeding journey.

Mar 26, 2020 10:58 PM
Jul 2009
Was good overall, although I still prefer the manga, it was still very good. 8/10. Really hoping one day when there's enough chapter, they will make a 2nd season
I really want to see Sakura animated.

It's too bad the manga seems to be on hiatus right now. Hopefully it will resume regular serialization soon.
Koshi_InabaMar 26, 2020 11:17 PM
Mar 26, 2020 11:34 PM

Jul 2016
ngl I thought Somali was pretty annoying, especially her voice

i guess im the type who just doesn't like kids
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.