Forum Settings
Forums

Would you consider it psychopathic for someone to laugh at a horror movie?

New
Mar 22, 2020 4:57 PM

Jan 2018
Occasionally for some weird odd reason, I sometimes laugh at horror movies.. especially the jumpscares. I'm either thinking I'm laughing cause they are predictable and not scary, or it could potentially mean I'm a psychopath. I've been called a psychopath before cause I've done this in a movie theatre.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2020 9:03 PM

May 2013
Not at all.

A. Because fiction

B. Most horror movies are shit and hilarious already anyway

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 22, 2020 9:05 PM

Aug 2018
My dad laughs at literally every horror movie, and has never been scared from a horror movie. He thinks it's all very silly.
Mar 22, 2020 9:36 PM

May 2016
Is someone a psycho if they jerk off to guro or potential murderer?
Mar 22, 2020 10:18 PM

Feb 2015
I was more on the edge of my seat when I first watched No Country for Old Men, and that film isn't even horror.
Mar 22, 2020 11:54 PM

Jun 2011
Konradikon said:
I was more on the edge of my seat when I first watched No Country for Old Men, and that film isn't even horror.

Yeah, Anton was a one scary motherfucker. His conversation with the old man in the gas station was one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen.

OT: An actual psychopath wouldn't question their psychopathy in public. So, you're okay bro. Sometimes, I laugh at jumpscares like you. They feel ridiculous sometimes.
Mar 23, 2020 1:06 AM

Nov 2013
Well horror movies today rely mostly on cheap jump scares anyway which are fine for a nice popcorn flick, but not worthy of taking that seriously. So I can certainly see how one would get the urge to laugh at times.
Mar 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Jun 2016
No dude some of them are really funny. Their pathetic attemts at scares are amusing.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 23, 2020 1:46 AM

Feb 2015
EpicSaxGirl said:
Konradikon said:

Yeah, Anton was a one scary motherfucker. His conversation with the old man in the gas station was one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen.

He became my favorite villain after that.

It really helped that the film didn't have any soundtrack whatsoever, except for the credits, so there's no way knowing how and when things would play out. I think that's what's missing from most horror movies.
Mar 23, 2020 2:35 AM

Jun 2011
Konradikon said:
EpicSaxGirl said:

It really helped that the film didn't have any soundtrack whatsoever, except for the credits, so there's no way knowing how and when things would play out. I think that's what's missing from most horror movies.

I've heard that according to some psychiatrists, Anton is the most realistic psychopath ever created in cinema. He is truly terrifying with his enigmatic nature.

Also, I totally agree with your remark on soundtracks as well. With the absence of music, it all comes down to the acting and it was delivered masterfully in here. Very few film can achieve that.
Mar 23, 2020 3:59 AM

May 2014
Well the vast majority of horror movies are terrible, consequently making them more funny than scary nowadays. It's like, we're laughing at their poor attempts to scare us lol.
Mar 23, 2020 6:07 AM
Jul 2018
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Is someone a psycho if they jerk off to guro or potential murderer?
you talking about rekt threads then yes
Mar 23, 2020 7:02 AM

Jan 2016
I laugh at horror movies all the time and am not a psychopath to the best of my knowledge.
Mar 23, 2020 7:27 AM

Feb 2015
EpicSaxGirl said:
Konradikon said:

I've heard that according to some psychiatrists, Anton is the most realistic psychopath ever created in cinema. He is truly terrifying with his enigmatic nature.

Also, I totally agree with your remark on soundtracks as well. With the absence of music, it all comes down to the acting and it was delivered masterfully in here. Very few film can achieve that.

As I've heard as well about him. No Country for Old Men is arguably a masterpiece.

Speaking of realistic, this made me remember Cannibal Holocaust which many people thought it was a snuff film. Never got to watch all of it as I've only seen few bits of the movie as a kid and I stopped watching after I saw what the cannibals did to the eyes of that certain dude. What's disturbing about the film though is that they actually killed live animals here.
Mar 23, 2020 9:10 AM

Dec 2018
No, it’s entertainment not tests of character. Plus the plots of horror movies are quite outlandish so it’s hard to not have a few chuckles every now and then.
Mar 23, 2020 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
Not even close, I do this all the time.
Mar 23, 2020 10:00 AM

Jun 2011
Konradikon said:
EpicSaxGirl said:

As I've heard as well about him. No Country for Old Men is arguably a masterpiece.

Speaking of realistic, this made me remember Cannibal Holocaust which many people thought it was a snuff film. Never got to watch all of it as I've only seen few bits of the movie as a kid and I stopped watching after I saw what the cannibals did to the eyes of that certain dude. What's disturbing about the film though is that they actually killed live animals here.

It's one of the most disturbing shit I've ever seen when I was a teenager. I've heard that the director was charged with multiple murders initially because the killings scenes were so realistic. Director had to call the actors and make them appear in live television to prove his innocence lol. It's a genre defining movie. If you can handle gore stuff, I can recommend.
Mar 23, 2020 10:17 AM

Aug 2015
This is such a weird question. NO!

Horror movies like The Ring, Get Out, Us, and A Quiet Place frequently have moments of humor to break up the tension, of course.
Mar 23, 2020 10:35 AM

Jul 2015
Wow, this post is full of edge. Someone called you a psychopath in a movie theater? Yeah right r/thathappened.
Mar 23, 2020 11:04 AM

Oct 2015
Nah you just had a intense gamer moment. Don'tcha worry about it.
Mar 23, 2020 11:26 AM

Mar 2019
Konradikon said:
EpicSaxGirl said:

I have seen Cannibal Holocaust in its entirety. I have to admit I would question the morality of somebody who laughed at some of the scenes in that movie. Depending on which one of course.

Your average horror film, I don't blame anyone for laughing at. A lot of them are honestly not very well made. Horror is one of those genres that's really easy to make but very difficult to do well. And I say that as somebody who really likes the horror genre.

Cannibal Holocaust though, I had to take a break from watching it at one point because I couldn't continue watching. I can definitely see why people at the time thought it was a snuff film.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2020 11:13 PM

Mar 2008
Not really. I do that for the bad ones. Also there are some horror movies intend for you to laugh such as Rubber.
Mar 24, 2020 12:32 AM
Feb 2020
Nope, most of them are dumb as hell... one of the genres with lowest quality movies imo
Mar 24, 2020 2:59 AM

Sep 2017
Mar 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Feb 2015
Ryuk9428 said:
Konradikon said:

I have seen Cannibal Holocaust in its entirety. I have to admit I would question the morality of somebody who laughed at some of the scenes in that movie. Depending on which one of course.

Your average horror film, I don't blame anyone for laughing at. A lot of them are honestly not very well made. Horror is one of those genres that's really easy to make but very difficult to do well. And I say that as somebody who really likes the horror genre.

Cannibal Holocaust though, I had to take a break from watching it at one point because I couldn't continue watching. I can definitely see why people at the time thought it was a snuff film.

I forgot to make correction about "what the cannibals did to the eyes of that certain dude" part. That scene was from another movie Zombi Holocaust, which also have cannibals. My memory got mixed the two together. Really though, Cannibal Holocaust is almost believable.

Most horror movies, or at least the average ones, rely too much on music cues that it dampens the suspense; that's the issue I find sometimes. Not that I'm saying it should be like No Country for Old Men, but to know when to space it out without spoiling the surprise.
Mar 24, 2020 11:51 PM

Mar 2016
there are a lot of dumbasses in generic horror movies that make me laugh through their shitbrain decisions. besides that, ridiculous horror movies like the final destination series because of how bizarre the deaths get
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 25, 2020 1:58 AM

Mar 2019
Konradikon said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I forgot to make correction about "what the cannibals did to the eyes of that certain dude" part. That scene was from another movie Zombi Holocaust, which also have cannibals. My memory got mixed the two together. Really though, Cannibal Holocaust is almost believable.

Most horror movies, or at least the average ones, rely too much on music cues that it dampens the suspense; that's the issue I find sometimes. Not that I'm saying it should be like No Country for Old Men, but to know when to space it out without spoiling the surprise.

I can see why you mixed up the two. Cannibal Holocaust is a lot worse though. I've seen some really gory zombie films but every zombie film feels at least a little cheesy to me. Everything in Cannibal Holocaust, including the human deaths, looks freakishly real. The animal deaths were easily the worst part about watching it because I knew they were real but the human deaths were really difficult to watch too.

I can't even imagine what it must've been like to walk out of the theater for it when it first came out. A lot of people must've thrown up or come back home seriously traumatized. I think people who have watched it tend to recommend it to people a bit too easily. I knew it was gonna be really bad before I watched it and it was even worse than I thought it was gonna be.

I think the problem with how horror movies use music is that you can actually predict what's going to happen based on the music. The music serves as a cue that something is going to jump out at you or an object is gonna move, or the monster is going to appear. It ruins the element of surprise. I think horror would actually be better if it was done a bit more like it is in Higurashi. Some cheerful scenes, which suddenly switch to being really eerie, and then use the shocks very sparingly. Higurashi and Haunting of Hill House I think are the two most well made horror stories I have ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2020 2:29 AM

Jul 2019
No, sometimes I laugh at serious scenes because it's dumb but that's most horror movies or shows.
Mar 25, 2020 7:42 AM

Feb 2018
I would probably gag laugh if someone laughed during a horror movie in the cinemas lol...

I don't think it's pyschopathic, one of my cousins lovessss horror movies and finds them funny too
Mar 25, 2020 9:03 AM

Feb 2015
Ryuk9428 said:
Konradikon said:

I can see why you mixed up the two. Cannibal Holocaust is a lot worse though. I've seen some really gory zombie films but every zombie film feels at least a little cheesy to me. Everything in Cannibal Holocaust, including the human deaths, looks freakishly real. The animal deaths were easily the worst part about watching it because I knew they were real but the human deaths were really difficult to watch too.

I can't even imagine what it must've been like to walk out of the theater for it when it first came out. A lot of people must've thrown up or come back home seriously traumatized. I think people who have watched it tend to recommend it to people a bit too easily. I knew it was gonna be really bad before I watched it and it was even worse than I thought it was gonna be.

I think the problem with how horror movies use music is that you can actually predict what's going to happen based on the music. The music serves as a cue that something is going to jump out at you or an object is gonna move, or the monster is going to appear. It ruins the element of surprise. I think horror would actually be better if it was done a bit more like it is in Higurashi. Some cheerful scenes, which suddenly switch to being really eerie, and then use the shocks very sparingly. Higurashi and Haunting of Hill House I think are the two most well made horror stories I have ever seen.

Those films tends to overdone gore that makes it obvious they did so only for the shock value and not something that'll also evoke you a sense of dread.

Won't be surprised if there were people who went the same experience as you've described; it's not really for the faint-hearted first timers. Somewhat related, this reminded me about what the WWII veterans felt when they saw Saving Private Ryan in the theaters, which I figured you may have read before. We'd go mum for a while after we witnessed something traumatizing.

And same sentiments about the use of music in horror. I get more freaked out by random noises without any soundtrack playing whatsoever in the background, or some entity who went at you all of a sudden without warning. Funny enough, creepers really excel at this, especially when they're in the dark, deep into the caverns.
Mar 25, 2020 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
It is totally normal. Some of these movies are so bad that you cannot help laughing.
Mar 25, 2020 4:57 PM

Aug 2009
I wouldn't call the RedLetterMedia crew psychotic for laughing at an obscure video of "critters" like squirrels and gophers being shot dead Exploding Varmints Volume 1.

Found the video while I was typing this. Yay.

Mar 25, 2020 5:23 PM

Sep 2018
No, At least not for the 95% of horror movies, There are some that are just fucked which i'm sure people with a morbid sense of humor laugh at but psychopathic? not even close

Mar 25, 2020 5:53 PM

Jan 2014
i like laughing at bad horror movies because otherwise i get scared too easy
so no :)
Mar 25, 2020 7:10 PM

Mar 2019
Konradikon said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Those films tends to overdone gore that makes it obvious they did so only for the shock value and not something that'll also evoke you a sense of dread.

Won't be surprised if there were people who went the same experience as you've described; it's not really for the faint-hearted first timers. Somewhat related, this reminded me about what the WWII veterans felt when they saw Saving Private Ryan in the theaters, which I figured you may have read before. We'd go mum for a while after we witnessed something traumatizing.

And same sentiments about the use of music in horror. I get more freaked out by random noises without any soundtrack playing whatsoever in the background, or some entity who went at you all of a sudden without warning. Funny enough, creepers really excel at this, especially when they're in the dark, deep into the caverns.

Yeah I think unless somebody has a specific fear of zombies, that they aren't really created to be scary. A lot of them are fun to watch, I find the idea of a zombie apocalypse to be interesting. But I think zombie films should be approached with a different mindset than being scared.

I think in general, spectacle in horror makes everything less scary. Usually the more subtle, the more genuinely scary it will be.

Creepers? I don't think I've heard of that. What is the full title of it?
Mar 26, 2020 9:42 PM

Feb 2015
Ryuk9428 said:
Konradikon said:

Yeah I think unless somebody has a specific fear of zombies, that they aren't really created to be scary. A lot of them are fun to watch, I find the idea of a zombie apocalypse to be interesting. But I think zombie films should be approached with a different mindset than being scared.

I think in general, spectacle in horror makes everything less scary. Usually the more subtle, the more genuinely scary it will be.

Creepers? I don't think I've heard of that. What is the full title of it?

I guess we've said enough about what we've agreed upon horror and there's not much I can add furthermore. And I say that as someone who isn't a fan of the genre itself :P

Creeper? Aw man. Nah, that was a subtle Minecraft joke I pulled off there. It's not a movie xD
Mar 26, 2020 10:27 PM

May 2013
Yeah that's the literal definition of a psycho if you're a sheltered little faggot lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Mar 28, 2020 5:01 AM

Jun 2016
I laugh at how bad and predictable they are
Mar 30, 2020 9:44 AM

Sep 2019
Considering Jason kills off a camper as they try to hide in a sleeping bag... no, I wouldn't say that's right, 'cause that scene was hilarious.
Not to mention they call something like the Final Destination series a horror, but it is actually a single edit from becoming a comedy. I mean, it's real dumb how some people die.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 30, 2020 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
no, most horror movies these days seem like a comedy rather than scary

with that being said, the most scariest movie i've seen has got to be boss baby or emoji movie. really made me shit my pants
Mar 30, 2020 6:07 PM

Oct 2017
Don't see the problem if they get killed by their own stupidity.

Mar 30, 2020 8:31 PM

Dec 2019
Not at all, been a while since i last watched a horror movie tho.
                                                         🖤   

Mar 30, 2020 10:04 PM

Apr 2019
Aren't movies for your own entertainment however you see fit? Nothing wrong with laughing at a horror movie
Mar 30, 2020 11:51 PM

Nov 2011
I mean if the movie is so bad it's funny, I would too.

Apr 2, 2020 3:16 AM

Oct 2017
they probably are just trying to make fun of the movie before the scary shit comes.
Apr 2, 2020 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
depends if there really is nothing to laugh about or if the make up is so obvious it's funny then it's okay. i guess
Apr 2, 2020 7:47 PM
Apr 2020
sometimes strangely unfunny situations make me laugh too...
Apr 2, 2020 8:32 PM

Apr 2020
Generally speaking no. Because the film you are watching it can be so bad that it is funny. Whether it is from poor acting, writing, effects, even the plot. With my case I seen a lot of good, bad, even cheesy Horror Films that they kinda of melt together that I can laugh at just about anything.
Apr 3, 2020 10:34 AM

Jul 2014
Nah, plenty of them are hilariously terrible and/or over-the-top to the point of absurdity.

Take care of yourself

Apr 3, 2020 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
It's normal to laugh at horror movies. I laugh at the jump scares and kill counts in slasher movies all the time. This is of course not to say that I take pleasure in the killer murdering of the survivors in those movies, I just find that most of the chases/kills to be funny. Especially in the Scream and Friday the 13th movies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4829 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
58 minutes ago

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

35 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
3 hours ago

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - Today

2 by LightWorker »»
6 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

31 by scarydragon »»
6 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7645 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.