Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Feb 12, 2020 12:57 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Main Points

Please read through this entire post to prevent the spread of misinformation.

I am happy to announce it's finally here: Our new scoring system to discount votes made by rating troll (aka duplicate) accounts!

This system has been in planning for 6 months. Before Chihayafuru 3, before Ishuzoku Reviewers.
For 10 years prior to this, these accounts were dealt with by admins via the Illegitimate Accounts thread.

The scores for all entries will be recalculated over the next 7 days.
During this time, please note that scores and ranks will be fluctuating for anime/manga entries which do not meet the following:
  • Top 50 Anime/Manga (adjusted on release)
  • Currently Airing Anime (adjusted 3~4 hours after release)
The only change visible to users will be the weighted score. All other statistics will include rating troll counts (to make it more difficult to break the system). Furthermore, entries with insufficient votes will display N/A to dissuade manipulation.

Top 50 Charts

Anime
It's long been suspected that up/down votes approximately equal themselves out for most Top Anime, and this is confirmed after recalculation.

All scores in the Top 50 change by less than 0.10
  • 38 anime increased in score, from 0.0016 to 0.0758.
  • 12 anime decreased in score, from -0.0003 to -0.0241.
  • Most affected Top 50 Anime are Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (0.0758) and Gintama° (0.0723). Regular rating troll reporters won't be surprised by this.

There is a little movement in the Top 10, mainly due to the scores all being very close together.

Manga
The Top 50 Manga show more changes in scores than Top 50 Anime.
  • Series typically have fewer members than Top Anime, which makes them easier to influence.
  • Rating trolls for Top Anime often also upvote the manga, while the downvoters only target the anime.
  • Most affected Top 50 Manga include Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru (-0.4731), Monogatari Series: First Season (0.1916), and Re:Zero (-0.1420). The first is well-known for having been upvoted.

A bit more movement in the Top 10 here, but again, mainly due to the scores all being very close together.

Series Most Affected

After we first decided how to define illegitimate (duplicate) accounts from legitimate, we then applied that method to the entire anime database to ensure there wouldn't be any big surprises. From this data, I pulled entries with score changes of >0.10 and sizable member counts (>10k). These scores were recalculated again on January 31 and are presented below.

Half of these entries are movies or OVA related to typically up/down voted main series, and show much larger changes due to their low member count. Aside from the very obvious Chihayafuru 3 score increase, we see the continued trend of the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu downvoting being corrected as in the Top 50. Other series we already knew were hit by rating trolls (e.g. Symphogear XV) also appear here, giving confidence that the system is working well.

Vote Brigading

Last week, a YouTube account posted a video instructing 1M+ subscribers to go to MyAnimeList, register an account if necessary, and vote Ishuzoku Reviewers a 10. This was followed by a second YouTube account, also with 1M+ subscribers. When an individual leads an organized voting raid on a website, instructing his followers to vote yes/no/10/1/5/green⁠—and 15,000+ votes of that specific value come in less than 12 hours, the entry's score has been compromised due to vote brigading.

If you post in this thread saying that this is not vote brigading, that Ishuzoku Reviewers was not vote brigaded, or initiate any other circular arguments relating to the voting brigade (and YouTube videos made in the last week about it), you risk receiving a trolling and/or spam ban.
You had 50+ pages in the series discussion board to argue about it. That topic is not to be discussed here. This thread is about the illegitimate (duplicate) account system and should focus on that.

To combat vote brigading, we must have two systems at work:
  • The regular system to discount duplicate (illegitimate) accounts.
  • An extra algorithm to discount scores given from legitimate accounts due to the brigade/meme.
Brigaded series cannot be calculated the same way as normal entries. Extra measures must be taken to try and discount both up and down votes given due to the brigade/meme + aftershock.

When the voting rush first began, I looked for a cache of the entry, and found this page:

If you compare the data on this page with the day this post is being written (February 10), you get a distribution graph that looks like below. Applying our rating troll system with our correction for vote brigading, we then get a weighted score of 7.57—nearly identical to the score from January 31.

The score is not frozen or forced to ~7.6.
  • If the community collectively agrees, the score can still rise to 8+.
  • Both up and down votes from the brigade/meme were handled equally.
  • No accounts involved in the brigade were banned or deleted. If these "brigading accounts" continue to watch and vote normally, their scores will be counted like all normal accounts.

Pingu in the City will also have its score adjusted for the vote brigading it received in 2017, moving from its current 8.43 to 6.80.
Likewise, Pingu in the City (2018) moves from 7.80 to 6.68.

Summary
  • Please read through this entire post to prevent the spread of misinformation.
  • This system has been in planning for 6 months; it was not "added because of an ecchi anime".
  • Scores will be recalculated over the next 7 days. During this time, please note that scores will be fluctuating for many anime/manga entries.
  • Only the weighted score will change; all other statistics will include rating troll accounts.
  • It's long been suspected that up/down votes approximately equal themselves out for most Top Anime, and this is confirmed after recalculation. Top Manga shows a bit more change due to fewer members and Top Anime influence.
  • If you post in this thread saying Ishuzoku Reviewers was not vote brigaded, or initiate any other circular arguments relating to the voting brigade, you risk receiving a trolling and/or spam ban. That topic had 50+ pages to run already and will not monopolize this thread.
  • Ishuzoku Reviewers' score is returned to ~7.6—nearly identical to the score from January 31. This is not "frozen" and can still rise to 8+ if voting and account behaviour proceeds as usual.
  • No accounts involved in the brigade have been banned or deleted and can still be used like normal.

Finally, the rating troll scoring system is not fixed, done, never to be looked at again. We anticipate malicious individuals will continue to try to break our new system and create even more accounts to manipulate votes in the future. From here, we will be monitoring for usual changes in scoring patterns and will attempt to deal with illegitimate accounts before they grab a foothold. If they do manage to get past us, we will attempt to correct it as speedily as possible.

Entries will still be vulnerable to YouTube voting raids due to the participation of legitimate user accounts. If new entries receive organized voting brigades, we will apply the second system to these entries (to readjust their scores) and will inform the community that we have done so. Please let Ishuzoku Reviewers be the last of it.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to report illegitimate accounts over the years and to give suggestions on how we might fix it. And thank you to the community at large for waiting patiently until now.

Edit: I thought the "Series Most Affected" titles would update on release, but seems they can take up to ~7 days to adjust as well. Chihaya should update faster since its still airing.
Edit2: Fixed some typos.
KinetaFeb 12, 2020 8:28 AM
Pages (26) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2020 1:01 AM

Aug 2014
Thank the Lord! It's been a stressful and frustrating weekend, but hopefully it'll get back to normal again now.

I should watch the show now. It looks kinda fun :3
Feb 12, 2020 1:02 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
I'm sure this will spawn a civil discussion that won't result in further attacks or false reporting at all 👍

The transparent detail here is excellent and the system is clearly quite effective. Bravo 👏
Feb 12, 2020 1:02 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I'm so glad to see this finally come to fruition. MAL is and should stay a reliable resource for anime and manga fans. Cheers to more development in the future!
p r o f i l e 👀
Feb 12, 2020 1:05 AM

Apr 2013
Seems like it has less effect than I thought, but Chihayafuru's and Pingu in the City's scores changed a lot. Good job MAL, looks good so far :3
Feb 12, 2020 1:12 AM

Jul 2009
Better late than never. At least the raids managed to introduce one positive addition to this site lol.
Feb 12, 2020 1:14 AM

Apr 2019
Interesting. This came out faster than I expected. I'm interested in seeing how the system is going to be refined for future proofing.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Feb 12, 2020 1:26 AM
May 2019
Finally great news! (:
I'm glad that Chihayafuru is back on track^^
Feb 12, 2020 1:27 AM

Mar 2018
Great job guys
Feb 12, 2020 1:37 AM
Jan 2013
Chihayafuru 3 still has a score of 7.45 for me
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Feb 12, 2020 1:40 AM

Apr 2013
Lelouch_Darsi said:

That's why Kineta said in the very beginning to read the whole text.

Kineta said:
Feb 12, 2020 1:42 AM

Jun 2009
the top list is out of order btw (you're probably aware of this). EDIT: aaaaaaand now it's in order, lmao.

nice work mal devs, kineta and luna (and others).

good to see LoGH's rating fixed a lot, however before its recent trolling down to 8.99 it was at 9.10, it's back up to 9.07 which is close to where it should be but not all the way there.
loghneckbeardFeb 12, 2020 1:45 AM
Feb 12, 2020 1:43 AM
Jan 2013
Gator said:
Lelouch_Darsi said:

That's why Kineta said in the very beginning to read the whole text.

Kineta said:

Ah, don’t know how I missed that
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Feb 12, 2020 1:48 AM

Jul 2012
Thanks, MAL mods!
Feb 12, 2020 1:52 AM
Jul 2018
Such a pity I can guarantee you this still doesn't change anything.
MAL ratings are still irrelevant.
And the change in the top and some other few anime doesn't matter and no one cares.
People with legit accounts still will continue to influence the score.
So instead of recounting those stupid scores please improve on basis of how a anime should be scored.
Feb 12, 2020 1:52 AM

Jan 2013
Well, you did nice job. I truly think Ishuzoku reviewers is brilliant ecchi anime, but dishonest markup cheating is wrong, i agree with preventing blank account to have impact on votes. But... ep 4 of Ishuzoku was the greatest. it's score can't be lower then before imo.

just a 1000-kun passing by.
Feb 12, 2020 1:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Great job everyone ^_^

Both in terms of dealing with the most recent crisis but perhaps importantly to finally fix the issues that have plagued the ratings for all the years I've been a part of this site

PS: You wrote Ishuzoku as Ishukozu a bunch of times -.^
HaXXspettenFeb 12, 2020 2:00 AM
Feb 12, 2020 1:58 AM

Feb 2020
Excellent news. I'm glad to see steps being taken to set things right. This whole thing has been absolute chaos and it went on long enough. Thank you mods!
Feb 12, 2020 1:59 AM

Oct 2010
So basically, you just don't put the brigaded score into calculation, the ones after the funi stuff.
Feb 12, 2020 1:59 AM
Jan 2019
I'm kinda curious how the algorithm works, but good job anyways.
Feb 12, 2020 2:02 AM

Dec 2013
As a former MAL Scoring Progressions Admin, this is music to my ears.
Feb 12, 2020 2:03 AM

Apr 2013
tuanguyen said:
I'm kinda curious how the algorithm works, but good job anyways.

I hope that we will never know, else the system could be exploited again.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ArdanazFeb 12, 2020 2:23 AM
Feb 12, 2020 2:06 AM

Aug 2019
Thank you mods. Appreciate the work you have done to help get this implemented ASAP.

Jun 2019
Great to learn this, and quite interesting to notice the big changes for the top 10 and top 50 (Kimi no na ha from 2nd to 7th, and almost all of the other popular or highly valued shows get a score increase).

Jul 2012
Yeah, the issue was people doing it to meme the scores.

Admittedly, I used to put 10/10 on Pingu and Bananya until I finished watching it to mess with the scores too lol.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ArdanazFeb 12, 2020 2:23 AM
Feb 12, 2020 2:07 AM

Apr 2012
Hopefully, this won't be considered a "circular argument", because that's anything you don't like:
This system won't help anything, you're not making your scores more "legit", you're just being discriminatory and biased. This system is also very, very simple, and most likely will just embolden those that voted to make more "legit" accounts, which isn't very hard to do, since you can be permanently logged into MAL too without interacting much with it.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Mar 2018
holy i didnt think the re zero novel would get hit so hard

Jan 2013
Wonderllama5 said:
Cowboy Bebop is going down. I'm sad... I know it's only by 0.02 but still. lol

Thank you MAL.

then why did you watch 5 episodes of the show that you scored 1/10?

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ArdanazFeb 12, 2020 2:24 AM

May 2019
Great job, although i expected to see bigger changes in the top ten, looks like they weren't boosted as much as we thought, i was almost certain LotGH was gonna end up in the top 3 and SnK s3p2 wasn't as affected by downvotes as we thought.

I'm glad Chihayafuru is finally getting the score it deserves(hopefully an ever higher one once if finishes airing).

I also expected Aria to be one of the most affected ones.

All in all great job.

Diyeeshe said:
Funny how FMAB stayed at number one despite everyone crying about it.
Yep, i was certain FMA, Steins;Gate and HxH were gonna get hit hard with this patch.
kobayasanFeb 12, 2020 2:14 AM
Feb 12, 2020 2:13 AM
Jan 2019
Kobayasan said:
Great job, although i expected to see bigger changes in the top ten, looks like they weren't boosted as much as we thought, [...] SnK s3p2 wasn't as affected by downvotes as we thought.

I mean SnK fans also did the opposite. They cancel the other out in the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2020 2:15 AM

Jul 2019
I am really glad for the mods who had to deal with this extra workload up until now. Judging by the relative changes they have done a good job so far.

Feb 12, 2020 2:16 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Diyeeshe said:
Great, glad pingu and reviewers are down to where they belong. Funny how FMAB stayed at number one despite everyone crying about it.
That was never really in doubt. The only possible way it could've been dethroned was if the inevitable boosts for Gintama or LotGH could've caught up to it but that seemed quite a stretch to me (and honestly they didn't even get up as much as I thought they would)

Kobayasan said:
Great job, although i expected to see bigger changes in the top ten, looks like they weren't boosted as much as we thought, i was almost certain LotGH was gonna end up in the top 3 and SnK s3p2 wasn't as affected by downvotes as we thought.
It's more that they were all boosted and downvoted at the same time to some extent so it kinda balanced each other out somewhat already
Feb 12, 2020 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
Wholeheartedly, this is amazing work. A lot of mods must have worked overtime for this.

Seriously, good job mods.
Feb 12, 2020 2:19 AM
Nov 2018
Wait, people actually brigade for Symphogear and Aikatsu!?

(not that it made any discernible differences anyway; to me 8.4x and 8.6x isn't much different)
Feb 12, 2020 2:23 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Cosmic_Penguin said:
Wait, people actually brigade for Symphogear and Aikatsu!?
Symphogear XV was upvoted by bots from like 7.80 to 8.50 iirc
Feb 12, 2020 2:25 AM
Feb 2018
Are you making filter by IP? How you know if that is bot?
Feb 12, 2020 2:25 AM

Jun 2019
It will be interesting to see how the system deals with the Spring anime (SAO, Re:Zero, Fate Heaven's Fell, Kaguya - Yahari?), but even more with the Fall anime (SnK and Yakusoku no Neverland). I guess that if it survives having SnK (or another of these titles, but I think that Fate is the only other serious contender) getting into the top 5 anime, it will be safe to assume that it can deal with most attacks and score manipulations.
Feb 12, 2020 2:26 AM

Jul 2012
gamers12 said:
There probably is a variable that shows how long you've used the website.
Feb 12, 2020 2:28 AM
Mar 2018
Meusnier said:
It will be interesting to see how the system deals with the Spring anime (SAO, Re:Zero, Fate Heaven's Fell, Kaguya - Yahari?), but even more with the Fall anime (SnK and Yakusoku no Neverland). I guess that if it survives having SnK (or another of these titles, but I think that Fate is the only other serious contender) getting into the top 5 anime, it will be safe to assume that it can deal with most attacks and score manipulations.
is the fate movie going to be that good im not trying to say its bad i just havent kept up with it since seeing the 2nd movie
Feb 12, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2019
tuanguyen said:
I mean SnK fans also did the opposite. They cancel the other out in the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HaXXspetten said:
It's more that they were all boosted and downvoted at the same time to some extent so it kinda balanced each other out somewhat already

Yeah, i knew Snk was getting boosted as well, even after the debacle, but whenever the top anime were mentioned there were a bunch of people claiming that if it wasn't for FMA SnK would be number 1, but its placement in the top 50 hasn't changed, although i was 100% sure Gintama 2015 and LotGH were going to end up in the top 5 maybe even top 3.
Feb 12, 2020 2:30 AM

Jun 2019
Connortit said:
Meusnier said:
is the fate movie going to be that good im not trying to say its bad i just havent kept up with it since seeing the 2nd movie

Well, I only watched the first Fate Heaven's Feel movie so far, but I keep reading everywhere that the last part is the best of the route, and since the first was already quite good in my opinion, I think that it was worth mentioning this title. Might be another Tenki no ko though.
Feb 12, 2020 2:31 AM
Feb 2018
It feels as if it could become shadow banning. Are you making any notification to those users whose score doesn't count? I don't use bots, but I want to be safe and sure that I'm not shadow banned. I understand your effort but that could go to other extreme and final score will be solely made by MAL and user input would matter even less.
Feb 12, 2020 2:32 AM
Mar 2018
-MEHMET- said:
I'm glad to see Symphogear XV is still way higher than AXZ. I was expecting it to drop to ~8.15
Connortit said:

It'll be more action focus and hyping movie than 2nd movie and we all know hype train's power, especially on the movies.
that is a very good point
Feb 12, 2020 2:35 AM

Dec 2011
whew that was a long time coming, glad for this development.

I'm surprised Clear Card had a brigade?? I must have never caught wind of that, honestly didn't expect CCS fans to do so.
Feb 12, 2020 2:38 AM
Mar 2018
Connortit said:
-MEHMET- said:
I'm glad to see Symphogear XV is still way higher than AXZ. I was expecting it to drop to ~8.15

It'll be more action focus and hyping movie than 2nd movie and we all know hype train's power, especially on the movies.
that is a very good point
i think it might do what one of the garden of sinners movies did(cant remember which one) was very hyped and ufotable delivered and got to like 9.04 then slowly goes down to about 8.85
Feb 12, 2020 2:39 AM
Jan 2013
cool stuff
thought would never happen
gone bai bai
Feb 12, 2020 2:40 AM
May 2017
Well done! it's great that this was done. Thank you to the ones who made it.
Feb 12, 2020 2:41 AM
Aug 2010
I hope MAL does the right thing and donate all the additional ad revenue from those troll to it's unpaid volunteers.
Feb 12, 2020 2:42 AM
Feb 2018
Mayuka said:
gamers12 said:

What if in one day hundreds new users decided to join? Are they not allowed to put scores?

I understand if there is filter by IP. That is if those hundreds came not from hundreds different IP but from one, then yes ban them.

Another suggestion to MAL. If they are not counting someones vote then they should be removed from user count on that vote. Final score becomes confusing and unnatural.

Like with Ishuzoku Reviewers I calculated score and it should be 8,98 but it is 7.56 now. It clearly shows artificial manipulation. That is even worse than it was before.

And is there some kind of list of blocked/ banned accounts?
Feb 12, 2020 2:42 AM

Jul 2012
gamers12 said:
Mayuka said:

What if in one day hundreds new users decided to join? Are they not allowed to put scores?

I understand if there is filter by IP. That is if those hundreds came not from hundreds different IP but from one, then yes ban them.

Another suggestion to MAL. If they are not counting someones vote then they should be removed from user count on that vote. Final score becomes confusing and unnatural.

Like with Ishuzoku Reviewers I calculated score and it should be 8,98 but it is 7.56 now. It clearly shows artificial manipulation. That is even worse than it was before.

And is there some kind of list of blocked/ banned accounts?
Their scores will not be weighted in the average score until a certain account age as been reached, I presume.
Pages (26) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

211 by Kauam_ »»
4 hours ago

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3335 by --sayori-- »»
5 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Apr 14, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.