Forum Settings
Forums

English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Feb 12, 10:27 PM

1. Both titles are too much and unpleasant to look at. I really like the clean/minimalist look that MAL has so I'm against this "feature" and will turn it off as soon as it's possible.
2. As a german I don't feel connected to english titles at all. The romanized Titles are optimal, but an option to change languages (including kanji/kana) would also be cool!
Modified by Brolaub, Feb 12, 10:49 PM

Feb 12, 11:16 PM
Tired.

Very happy to hear that MAL is going to finally be embracing English titles after so long.
Excited to start using the toggle once it is made available.

Personally, I think that having both the English and Romanji titles in the header causes it to be a bit cluttered; only displaying one or the other would make more sense unless there is a larger visual difference between the two (never been a fan of where the alternative titles are currently anyways, maybe a more prominent title section at the top would work better?).

I am a huge advocate of international, primarily English websites displaying English titles as default. Romanji titles are, in many cases, very awkward to both say and read accurately for the majority of the Western audience, and even without any studies on the topic I would fairly confidently argue that the majority of viewers watching through official channels use English titles more often than the alternatives.

Feb 13, 2:16 AM

1. No. I don't want to see translated titles to be honest. If anything, I'd prefer kanji title below the romaji.
And I think romaji should still be site default and English switch should be only an option in profile settings.
2. Definitely not. Leave it as romaji. This is international site and for many people English titles would tell absolutely NOTHING. I know many NA people, and most of them don't use English titles anyway.
Modified by rsc-pl, Feb 13, 2:41 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.

Feb 13, 3:43 AM

1. I'd prefer to have the romanized title only in the header, the english title can still be seen in the left section.

@Kineta How would the toggle actually work? If user A uses the toggle for english titles, but user B doesn't - how will it be shown in manga lists?
Totally not asking because of the Manga Reading Challenge, which could end up in chaos in regards of checking forms and such if user A uses a different name than user B, etc...

2. I don't see any reason why this change should be made at all tbh. (German speaking here, if I search for a manga/anime I will go by the original title and only secondary by the english one - if at all.) The english title should still be listed the way it is in the left section next to synonyms and other titles so it can still be found (and truth be told, as a non-japanese speaker it is nice to have a translation of the title there).
As a database that gets accessed by people all over the world, a change like that wouldn't benefit all imo.
Modified by Schlopsi, Feb 13, 4:17 AM

Feb 13, 4:18 AM

1. I want to see only the romanized title, i don't care at all about eng titles

2. People outside NA know the anime by their romanized names. It will be confusing

Feb 13, 5:13 AM

1. I only want to see the Romanized title and I hope we will be able to turn the english title off soon, because as it is now it just looks out of place.
2. Should be left as the romanized title too.

Feb 13, 6:24 AM

1. No. Aesthetically, it looks a bit off and it can also get confusing if I'm in a hurry.
2. From EU, a strong and absolute no. I'm so used to the romanized titles I would find it very unpleasant, since I often do just check lists without logging in. Also English titles sound pretty silly or incomplete sometimes. I would say it's better for people to get as close to the original work as possible, which includes the romanized original title.

Feb 13, 8:00 AM

I have wished for the option to see My actual Anime List with the English titles for so long.

1 - The Headers look good as they currently are to me with the Romanized as the main header above the English if there is a difference. It really helps for those of us that mix between the two (Ie remembering Shingeki no Kyojin as Attack on Titan whilst remembering Higurashi as Higurashi and not When They Cry) to identify shows at a quicker glance.

2 - I think it should be the same as it is now for not logged in users, with both titles on the anime page's header and with the Romanized on lists so to not clutter those pages.

That being said I would implement two separate toggles if possible one solely for the Headers on anime pages between (Traditional, English, Both) and one for Recommendations, Anime/Manga Lists and throughout the rest of the site (Traditional, English) with other languages maybe added later if there is a demand for it. That way people can decide to use MAL as a service that works best for their own needs

Feb 13, 9:22 AM

i would prefer that the main title always be in romanised japanese - using hepburn romanisation - and never any other style.

the sub-title should always be the official english title. if there is no official english title, there should be no sub-title.

main title should always be in romanised japanese, no matter if the user is logged in or not. however, there should be an optional main title toggle for those that have accounts: japanese (kana/kanji), japanese (romaji) or english (official title). if either japanese option is selected, english would be the sub-title (unless there isn't one). if english is selected, a japanese option would be the sub-title, default romaji.

database admins (cyruz, kineta, luna) and their underlings should also get onto changing the titles of those anime which are still in english (unless the official name is in english) for consistency's sake. for example: fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi). it's been years since it was decided that anime and manga would have their names changed to their romanised form.
Modified by Tyestor, Feb 13, 9:38 AM

Feb 13, 9:58 AM
DB Administrator
Faerie Queen

Random pop-in, still need to read all the replies, but...

Tyestor said:
it's been years since it was decided that anime and manga would have their names changed to their romanised form.
I promised in some 20+ page Suggestions thread in like 2012(?) that we wouldn't change them until we got an English/Main title toggle :'D

Open Staff Apps  
Guidelines & FAQ  
Report Abuse  

Nardack
[Art]

Feb 13, 9:58 AM
Filthy Casual

1. Even after the toggle is implemented, would you prefer both titles in the h1/top header of Anime/Manga entries while being signed in?
I prefer either Romanized and/or Both, but would not use English only. If keeping both in one header is a must, I would maybe hope the English title would size down a bit as to show it translated but not make the header bulky. I feel like most users here use the Romanized version in discussion, so English might be more preferred as just a smaller subtitle/subtext to the main vernacular title.

2, For not signed in users, what are your thoughts on switching the main title displayed to English?
I'm in NA so I'm not really sure this applies to me, but when I'm not signed in, I still prefer seeing the Romanized name - I can still easily search in English and get the same result (without it being translated for me). But I suppose seeing both, with again the Romanized name more prominent should be fine???

Feb 13, 10:04 AM

Kineta said:
Random pop-in, still need to read all the replies, but...

Tyestor said:
it's been years since it was decided that anime and manga would have their names changed to their romanised form.
I promised in some 20+ page Suggestions thread in like 2012(?) that we wouldn't change them until we got an English/Main title toggle :'D

lol...i think i vaguely remember that.

Feb 13, 10:36 AM
1. Even after the toggle is implemented, would you prefer both titles in the h1/top header of Anime/Manga entries while being signed in?

I personally would prefer both titles in the header, I like how it looks!

Does this affect any of the requirements in the 2020 Anime Watching Challenge or do we still just use the "main" title?

Feb 13, 11:21 AM

Oh finally, is the day when I'll actually be able to read my list approaching?

1. Ideally, on anime pages, I'd like to be able to see both titles but choose which one is on top. I prefer the official English titles almost universally, but it's nice to easily be able to see both since some are better identified by one or the other.

2. Well, I would like this (and I live in NA), but I'm also not the main audience of sub-only weebs that MAL is primarily home to.

3. Keep up the good work, Kineta and MAL team!

Feb 13, 1:13 PM
DB Administrator
Faerie Queen

Schlopsi said:
@Kineta How would the toggle actually work? If user A uses the toggle for english titles, but user B doesn't - how will it be shown in manga lists?
Totally not asking because of the Manga Reading Challenge, which could end up in chaos in regards of checking forms and such if user A uses a different name than user B, etc...
The title in the <a> link would be displayed in your title of choice everywhere on the site (including other user's lists).

Schlopsi said:
2. I don't see any reason why this change should be made at all tbh. [...] As a database that gets accessed by people all over the world, a change like that wouldn't benefit all imo.
The mod staff has always felt like you, that romanized titles are more internationally friendly. But streaming has changed dynamics and CR simulcasts many titles on multiple continents with English titles (I believe?) And while we still appear near the top for most Google search results, for overpowered shounen titles, somehow we often sink... Once the toggle is in place, we can theoretically test to see which works best, but it's always interesting to hear live people's opinions and not just statistics.

Open Staff Apps  
Guidelines & FAQ  
Report Abuse  

Nardack
[Art]

Feb 13, 6:32 PM

1. I definitely prefer the romanized title being there as that's the one I always use, but I think I'm okay with the English title (if any) being underneath since I may sometimes reference the English title for people who don't really watch anime, for example. I'm also a bit uncertain about whether it's even good to put the English title up there, because don't some anime have more than one possible English title? That would then make it confusing since there might be debate over which is the proper one... In any case, an option might be good.
2. I'm not from North America and I think it would be better to keep the default as the romanized title. But I do know that a lot of casual watchers who may or may not look at MAL without making an account may know the English title better...so perhaps making it clearer (somewhere more easy for them to see, under the picture is not that obvious in my opinion) would be better?

Feb 13, 7:06 PM

I think having both titles is a good change, though I'd prefer only having romaji titles personally (which doesn't matter since it seems that's gonna be available eventually). Talking about toggles for changes, I'd like to see a toggle for the picture sizes, with a way to revert to how they were before their size increase (or be able to customize them in any way)

Feb 13, 8:32 PM
WATCH UMA MUSUME

This could be an optional feature yah? Defaulted to both

Kineta said:
Schlopsi said:
2. I don't see any reason why this change should be made at all tbh. [...] As a database that gets accessed by people all over the world, a change like that wouldn't benefit all imo.
The mod staff has always felt like you, that romanized titles are more internationally friendly. But streaming has changed dynamics and CR simulcasts many titles on multiple continents with English titles (I believe?) And while we still appear near the top for most Google search results, for overpowered shounen titles, somehow we often sink... Once the toggle is in place, we can theoretically test to see which works best, but it's always interesting to hear live people's opinions and not just statistics.

On CR/netflix/streaming platforms making anime as english title, would it not matter for MAL since search engine results comes up as both?

eg fire force

Also, considering how googles algorithm works, there wouldn't be a change in search rank placement due to no change in keyword frequency (excluding both the Romanization+English name now showing in the header) right? Unless there's a plan that when a non-signed users is on the site, the title is changed to English on every reference of the title name.

I guess you can test anyway but pretty sure there will be no difference from search engine results in the main title being English or Romanized.

Feb 13, 8:40 PM
Hmm, this is a confusion answer for me...but I'll first say this on the headers:

Personally, I think both headers look nice on mobile, and a single header works better on a desktop browser. Although, I realize this is likely contrary to accomplishment in your first paragraph.

1) single title. 99.9% of my MAL usage is on a desktop, 80% of that is on a big 4k monitor so I can see a lot as it is.

2) Short answer: romanized titles...I guess?

This is tricky...because I've always felt some titles the right answer is totally english, but then for others it's Japanese. For example --and this is my personal opinion -- Howl's Moving Castle has always felt the best title for me, as well as Spice and Wolf.

However, things like Tomorrow's Joe, Aggressive Retsuko, and Interviews with Monster Girls don't sit well with me (Favoring Ashita no Joe, Aggretsuko, and Demi-chan wa Kataritai) But this lands you in a weird awkward middle spot with no uniformity and odd decision making, without really having any standard to go by. So I totally get why this is just not practical. There are more instances where I prefer JP, so I guess that's where I land.

previously mentioned, a native JP title would be a neat option to toggle.

Feb 13, 10:03 PM

1. Yes, I'd absolutely prefer both the titles to be displayed even after toggle, having both
titles would be really helpful.

2. I'm not from America, and I would support having the main titles in English because
searching the titles in English is more easier and remembering the romanized titles are
relatively more hard for some anime. (For example, everyone only knows it as Ghost in
the Shell and not as "Koukaku Kidoutai").

Thanks for bringing this change.

Feb 13, 10:51 PM

I'm looking forward to the toggle.

Feb 14, 1:34 AM
BL Enthusiast

I only really use/refer to romanized titles, unless the Japanese title is ridiculously long (looking at you, Special Investigation Crime Unit). So even if the toggle is implemented, I don't really want both titles displayed.

Same for the English title when not signed in. Especially when I'm out and about and suddenly logged out of my devices, I still want to be able to view the romanized titles as usual.

Maybe make the toggle available for both signed and not signed in users? Or as a supplement to toggle, you can try implementing a hover instead (no idea what the official term for that is). Like, hovering above the title of an anime/manga displays their romanized/English title, depending on what you have set as default.

Feb 14, 5:40 AM

Ok, lemme answer this as "Indonesians representative."

Q1. Even after the toggle is implemented, would you prefer both titles in the h1/top header of Anime/Manga entries while being signed in?
A1. Well, I don't think so. Because oftenly, I don't use English title to referencing the anime. Instead, I'll use the synonym nor the "official abbreviation" of the shows. IF there's also any toggle to change Romaji (default) titles into Native titles, I'd love that feature as I also learning on how to read the word of it.

Q2. For not signed in users, what are your thoughts on switching the main title displayed to English?
A2. For Indonesian itself, it was a no-no. Lot of us references the titles of the shows BASED on official romaji title, not English. Even on the official streaming sites for anime in Indonesia use a lot of English titles for it, we still use romaji LOL.
Seriously, if MAL decided to change ALL the series titles to English on their DB, we'll screaming a lot because we lacks of experiences on English :v

Funfact: My English is overwhelmingly bad as heck
MyAnimeList - Kitsu - AniList - Trakt - SIMKL

Feb 14, 8:41 AM

Im very happy with this change so far, it resolves a lot of issues and I dont see any problems that can arise from it. Although it might take a while to get used to... also im from Europe, but since English is my first language it doesn't bother me and wouldn't make sense for me to be the one who answer your second question (Im in the UK)
Modified by Seijatachiiii, Feb 14, 8:47 AM

Feb 14, 8:57 AM

Some entries currently have only an English title and a Kanji Japanese title. Will we be adding Romanized Japanese titles to these entries?
A møøse once bit my sister...

Feb 14, 9:10 AM

1. I would only want to see romanized titles. (I might like seeing both titles if it didn't look bad like it does right now.)

2. (I'm outside of NA) I don't care either way, but I can imagine the change being controversial.

Feb 14, 11:00 PM
Sovereign Prince

I like this idea. I think showing both at the top is fine. If you chose to only show one, I'd prefer you keep the romanized title. Some English titles aren't faithful to the original at all, so I prefer to see the romanized version. The idea to give people the option to toggle to their preference if they are signed in is a great idea that should leave everyone satisfied.

Yesterday, 1:59 AM

I will use English titles exclusively
I don't care how many languages you list the title in on an anime's database page as long as I can see it in English in search results, on charts, and on users' lists
English is my only language but keeping Romaji as the default/signed out version makes more sense

Yesterday, 10:10 AM

I really liked this change.

But a question I'm asking myself for a while, what about Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood's name? Shouldn't it be Fullmetal Alchemist/Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009) following the protocol?

Sorry if this one is a FAQ of some sort, I really didn't bother searching for the answer in the forums.

Yesterday, 9:51 PM
1. I would prefer both the titles to appear. It makes things easier if when I remember only the English title.
2. Yes switching the main title to English would be nice for non signed in users as when I had first visited MAL, I mostly only knew the English titles so I faced a lot trouble with searching for the titles.[Also am from outside of NA]

Yesterday, 11:52 PM

I actually like having both Romanized and English titles at the top of the pages.
This way I don't have to scroll down the page just to check the other version to see if it's a show I recognize/have seen.

Having toggles for one, the other, or both seems like a good way to approach this for a world-wide user base.
We can choose which versions of the titles we want to see, and toggle off the rest.

If the future brings the ability to also toggle the title in a user's native language, great.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]