Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 14, 2020 2:42 AM
Feb 2016
1. CGI looks clunky as usual but is still enjoyable.
2. Kaiman's voice + animation (although more shrill than what I imagined) works pretty well as comic relief from the gorefest we're about to witness.
3. Ebisu best girl x2

This will hopefully bring more readers into the horrifyingly fun world of Q Hayashida.
That is ...Dorohedoro!
Jan 14, 2020 3:01 AM

Apr 2015
Liked it, especially the backgrounds.
Jan 14, 2020 4:27 AM

Aug 2013
So actually decent pretentious edgy stuff the animation? Interesting
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 14, 2020 4:58 AM

Jul 2017
Reading the manga right now, the cgi just doesn't fit in. Doesn't give the same atmosphere as the manga. Not going to waste time on the anime, just complete the manga
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2020 5:32 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty decent start for a 1st episode. Does a satisfactory job of capturing the manga's ambiance. That said, I don't like the CG for Kaiman's head. It just feel so out of place compared to the background and what not. Could have at least use some ufotable style shading/filters for his head.
Jan 14, 2020 5:53 AM

Sep 2019
Well... that certainly misled me for the first minute. Then again, people with masks over their eyes are definitely not good. While being misled and that OP being pretty trippy... I've got a feeling this is going to be a good one.

So far it's interesting.
Also, "getting in a way of a croc-man's food" certainly seems top contender for dying in a miserable fashion after being insulted twice.

Certainly like the main two, and the style of sorcerer this is painting certainly seems interesting; a direct contrast from The Hole. Heck, from being in the mouth to seeing another definition of Face/Off to blood puke to the main two not being the traditional sense of "good", I like the type of gritty this show is going with.

I'll certainly keep watching it.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 14, 2020 6:58 AM
Jan 2020
As a manga reader and its vivid fan, I'm really satisfied with the first episode. Way to go, MAPPA.

Personally, I found CG not irritating(?) - it blended well with the backgrounds and other characters. In certain aspects it's more fluid than traditional 2D (e.g. mouth movements, Kaiman's head because nobody sane would draw his scales in 2D for 12 episodes). As for Nikaido, her a bit round face is cute too. I still love her to death. If she was drawn in traditional way, she and Kaiman wouldn't go well together.

OP was released earlier than the episode and it immediately hooked me in. Listening to it at least 10 times a day, really addicting (+ the fact that it tells everything and nothing at the same time is brilliant). ED is growing on me too. It's a pity Q Hayashida disagreed to use the original manga OST but I like the current one just as much. Sets up the weird and wacky atmosphere)

I saw some people getting confused with the story and what it is about. It's...honestly not that hard to pay attention. The premise is long but simple, the setting was told in 2-3 sentences. Characters are memorable even in the first episode. For me, MAPPA handled everything really well, if not greatly. I'm looking forward to watching more episodes of bizarre shit)
Jan 14, 2020 7:03 AM

Feb 2016
Ugh, the combination of 2D and CGI is very off putting it ends up being disgusting at times. No matter how polished your CG texture is, if your physics are trash, the animation is trash.

The plot seems interesting enough tho, so I'm going to stick to the ride.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 14, 2020 7:07 AM
Mar 2019
Well, CG approved.
Jan 14, 2020 7:21 AM

Aug 2017
Ok, that was pretty weird but I really liked it.

I thought this would be bad I'm glad it was quite violent.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 14, 2020 7:35 AM
Oct 2017
jerryjoonie said:
It's a pity Q Hayashida disagreed to use the original manga OST

Source on this please?
Jan 14, 2020 8:39 AM
Mar 2015
Chomp Chomp goes the sorcerer
Jan 14, 2020 8:51 AM
Oct 2015
DedPanda said:

I CAN'T EVEN HAHAHAHA, SAYING THIS WITH AN AJIN PROFILE PICTURE...
the ajin protagonist is literally clinically dagnoised psychopath, and villain goes around killing people for fun in the most brutal way possible for lulz, literally edgelord supreme the anime

i don't actually dislike ajin but its hilarious that you call this pretentious edgy stuff, do you not get what edgy means?
'
"man look at saitama, what an edgelord. doreomon is such an edgy bastard am i right"
Jan 14, 2020 9:09 AM
Apr 2015
TurboPooPoo69 said:
Reading the manga right now, the cgi just doesn't fit in. Doesn't give the same atmosphere as the manga. Not going to waste time on the anime, just complete the manga

Its not full cgi brother
Jan 14, 2020 9:36 AM

Feb 2013
I didn't know this piece of art until now. The only reason I watched it is because seinen and horror are usually great genres so I figured I should give it a try.

Glad I did. Great job by MAPPA so far.
Jan 14, 2020 9:45 AM

Sep 2013
Well i guess this is different,i like that the two mc aren't necessarily good guys,there's a big grey area around this anime,even the magicians doesn't seem that evil.

The 3d was pure ass like i expected but the 2d chara design looks kind of nice(Nikaido looks like Thorfinn's sister or idk )

Not particulary hyped about this show but i'll keep watching for sure.
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 14, 2020 10:26 AM
Apr 2016
Just leaving this for the reference in the future :7.63.
Re:formed
Jan 14, 2020 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
Just as expected, the anime adaptation makes at least way more sense than the convoluted manga. Wasnt planning to give it a chance at first, but I guess I,'ll give it a try.
:v
Jan 14, 2020 10:39 AM

Jul 2017
TGAvi said:
TurboPooPoo69 said:

Its not full cgi brother

Pretty much most of it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2020 10:50 AM

Sep 2012
FuMomo-kun said:
I had been wanting to read its manga for around two years, but I kept procrastinating and now it's already an anime. lol.

Despite the messy and boring setting, the story and the characters really make this enjoyable.

Caimon is oddly cute despite looking the way he does.

Read the manga. It's amazing and and doesn't have low FPS CGI that hurts your eyes.
I am better than you.
Jan 14, 2020 10:59 AM
Jan 2020
Niello said:
jerryjoonie said:
It's a pity Q Hayashida disagreed to use the original manga OST

Source on this please?

Why do I always forget to bookmark things like that. Great fan I am.
It was on Twitter and now I'll have to search among 10k tweets I liked. But now that you say, I don't remember it being an official source or not...

One of the rumors I also know is also that Hayashida didn't work as Nihei's assistant. Maybe it was even said in the end of manga. Gonna re-read for sure.
Jan 14, 2020 11:01 AM

Jun 2011
japanese cg is awful...but i kinda forgot bout all that shit cuz of the nostalgic feelin. i still feel like the manga deserved a proper adaptation but i guess this is not that bad
Jan 14, 2020 11:03 AM

Jun 2011
Malighos said:
FuMomo-kun said:
I had been wanting to read its manga for around two years, but I kept procrastinating and now it's already an anime. lol.

Despite the messy and boring setting, the story and the characters really make this enjoyable.

Caimon is oddly cute despite looking the way he does.

Read the manga. It's amazing and and doesn't have low FPS CGI that hurts your eyes.

true, this anime shouldnt be anyone's first experience on dorohedoro
Jan 14, 2020 11:21 AM
Nov 2016
Love it's and really expect more less cgi but this ok cause the op the character not so 3D much though
Jan 14, 2020 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
Neostorm-X said:
DedPanda said:

the ajin protagonist is literally clinically dagnoised psychopath, and villain goes around killing people for fun in the most brutal way possible for lulz, literally edgelord supreme the anime

i don't actually dislike ajin but its hilarious that you call this pretentious edgy stuff, do you not get what edgy means?
'
"man look at saitama, what an edgelord. doreomon is such an edgy bastard am i right"

The fact that you took probably about 5 minutes or so to quote me and try to... I guess bust a joke on me by analyzing my sarcastic post in order to... honestly I don't care what your motivation was for doing it in order to prove some random point is only making me laugh.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 14, 2020 11:39 AM

May 2016
I just had to read some of the comments for this episode because I knew there were going to be those people who are extremely allergic to CGI in anime and I wanted a good laugh from reading their comments.

As for the episode, I don't know what the fuck I just watched, but I'm intrigued.
Jan 14, 2020 12:02 PM
Apr 2016
One thing is clear - the author put quite some effort into conceptualizing her world, in which the story is set in. Whether it will turn out to be a well-developed and a quality story, is to be seen.
But I am liking what I see.
Daniel_NaumovJan 14, 2020 12:05 PM
Re:formed
Jan 14, 2020 12:36 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Neostorm-X said:
DedPanda said:

'

You have a point. The terms "edgy" or "edgelord" have become so overused around these parts that they have almost lost their meaning. Dorohedoro is actually the opposite of edgy, it's a blunt, nebulous story and Kaiman it's main character is far removed from the edgy stereotype with his his boisterous, unrefined ways.
People mostly throw this around when describing seinen stories now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 14, 2020 1:05 PM

Apr 2016
It’s an intriguing first episode, I’m curios for what’s coming.
Jan 14, 2020 1:33 PM

May 2014
Mappa as always a great studio. Dororo, Ushio to Tora, Shingeki no bahamut, Yuri on ice..and Garo! I think I'm gonna be following everything they do from now on.

Jan 14, 2020 2:24 PM

Nov 2018
This show has messed up morality, and with how the humor is incorporated too. But I don't dislike it.
Jan 14, 2020 3:38 PM

Jun 2015
This was awesome. So much stuff happening in a single episode, and yet it didn't feel rushed at all. A lot of information about the world and characters without a drop of exposition. Great way of starting a series.

I especially liked this "realistic" take on wizards living in the same world as regular people. Why would superpowerful beings hide themselves from the world as if they were pariahs (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc) when they could rule as Gods? The answer is they wouldn't.

Also liked how they mixed this horrible, grotesque reality with humor. Kind of reminds me of Kekkai Sensen in that.
Jan 14, 2020 4:38 PM

Jan 2011
BitterBones said:
This show has messed up morality, and with how the humor is incorporated too. But I don't dislike it.

kinda where am at it's like a much more fucked up Kekkai Sensen not sure how to feel about it.

show seems very strange but that and people saying it would be impossible to do a adaptation of it was all i knew, i came out thinking maybe i should just read it? the art is just wild and it's hard to think of a studio being able to do that much detail (really do love the char designs though)
Jan 14, 2020 6:03 PM
Jul 2016
They toned down the violence and censored a lot of things, which is understandable but a bit disappointing, since one of the charms of the manga is how nonchalantly gore and violence is portrayed and executed by its characters.

OST and Backgrounds are great and the CG is fine for the human characters but I don't really like how they did Kaiman's head.

Definitely gonna keep on watching to see what they change from the source material and the gorgeous backgrounds.
Jan 14, 2020 6:51 PM

Jan 2018
This concept is so interesting. That broken dystopia called Hole they live in. So many questions that needs answers.

What's with the sorcerers and their roles?
Who is that man inside of him?
Who he really is?

The explicit gore in this anime is really no-holds-barred, even that girl's skin that got ripped off.

The only downisde of this anime is its 3D Animation. Its off, choppy, and just bad. But, that doesn't matter to me.

Looking forward to it.
Jan 14, 2020 7:18 PM
Oct 2019
overall a pretty good eps
Jan 14, 2020 9:48 PM

May 2016
I started the manga a few days after I saw the announcement for this and finished it a few months and now that the first episode is out, it's pretty good so far. The opening is surreally awesome and is easily my favorite part of the show along with the god-tier background design. I do not mind the 3DCG models that much but seeing everything else look so great in 2D kinda makes me wish that they could've considered going all in at the production process.

Ebisu's screams of agony made that scene where she was getting her face ripped off a lot more horrifying than ever before and I felt really sorry for her. Shin and Noi making a very aggressive appearance in the last scene was great too. I'm looking forward to delve in more into the chaotic shambles that is Dorohedoro!

Jan 14, 2020 10:32 PM

Mar 2019
I cant say that i liked this...

But, neither cant deny this got my attention...

Interesting series, maybe...

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jan 14, 2020 11:14 PM
Jul 2017
Oh blah blah blah cgi in mah anume. Comin from someone whose reading the manga this anime is everything I hoped for. I don’t give a duck about the cgi lol. You think they’ll be able to replicate that sketchy stillness of the manga? Hell no! It damn that background art is so damn beautiful. I’ve been used to cgi ever since Ajin and I’m surprised that that this is still the first thing people talk about when a series has it. Like can we add anything new to the discussion please? Lol.
Jan 15, 2020 2:24 AM
Sep 2019
It was a good start to a new series and I'm pretty intrigued to where this series will go on wards

also the intro's song is absolutely creepy on it's own right
Jan 15, 2020 2:29 AM

Jun 2014
Love it, love it. The CGI will take some getting used to, but the overall package delivers what the manga is about. MAL is gonna hate this, lol.
Jan 15, 2020 3:48 AM

Jan 2011
Mappa screwed the pooch by putting shitty looking CGI right in the first few goddamn seconds. Almost dropped it.
Then the cute skeleton tomboy loli got her face ripped off. What the fuck. What a waste. I am mad.
Jan 15, 2020 4:17 AM
Jan 2020
One more thing I LOVED was the sound design. It's metallic, "creaky", just like an industrial shithole they live in. And when that person/thing came out of Kaiman, the sounds of jaws being teared, bones crushing and that squelchy noise - topnotch.
Jan 15, 2020 5:29 AM

Feb 2019
I enjoy the hyper competent blonde a lot more than the lizard dude. She kicks people in the face and breaks hands. He screams constantly like a hyperactive toddler and is just plain invincible to everything so far. That's literally his power. It was an okay episode in that the exposition on the overly complicated setting was at least not things patently obvious to everybody, but it definitely could/should have framed itself around the monster wizard of the week. Or just not had him there at all since it was introduced and then wrapped up in about two minutes before going "Anyway, back to the main plot." Except there were still like five minutes left in the episode, enough time for prophetic dreams and mugging some poor random Team Skull member.
Jan 15, 2020 5:30 AM

Apr 2009
Phlaryx said:
You think they’ll be able to replicate that sketchy stillness of the manga? Hell no!
Yes, actually it can and has been done. Look at some of the older Bones or Madhouse stuff. Even stuff like TTGL utilized some of that sketchy style, just brighter than Dorohedoro. Hell, even if it's CG, they could at least put more effort into Kaiman's head. Look at ufotable's stuff like Kimetsu no Yaiba. It's CG as well and yet it's getting praised. Same goes for other ufo works like God Eater and Tales of Tales of Zestiria; also CG but it actually looks good. Turns out people praise things when it's done well and criticize when it isn't. Just because you don't give a shit doesn't mean you can assume that people hate on things just because it's CG. Yes, things like the backgrounds are fine but Kaiman, aka the main character aka the one you'll be seeing and focusing on most of the time certainly deserves more details than that. If anything, your kind of attitude is why they can just go, well people will lap it up anyway, so why do better.
NilviusJan 15, 2020 5:47 AM
Jan 15, 2020 6:57 AM

May 2019
WTF! that was awesome
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Jan 15, 2020 9:10 AM

Apr 2009
Some questionable CGI here and there aside, the first episode looked great! Nothing was cut or rushed, the atmosphere is there and I absolutely love the music. We should be greatful we are getting a Dorohedoro anime at all, the manga is awesome, but also quite niche all things considered.

RayReynolds said:
He screams constantly like a hyperactive toddler and is just plain invincible to everything so far. That's literally his power.

He's not really invincible to everything, just to direct magic manipulations.
Jan 15, 2020 1:10 PM

Mar 2014
Decent start 4/5 for me. Was looking forward to this anime, heard great things of the manga through the years but after watching the first episode I'm honestly not that fulfilled or hyped as i expected to be, maybe my expectations is playing me a bad turn.

Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the episode but i felt like i was watching the 3rd episode of the series, i didn't find it to be that solid of a introduction "pilot" episode, it didn't feel that much like the start of a story but then the style is supposed to be wacky and non conventional so i guess we cant expect it to have a traditional structure. I will definitely keep watching though.
Jan 15, 2020 9:30 PM
May 2016
Honestly rewatching again I actually do think the animation is good. They took really good advantage of the CGI at least during the action scenes, the first bit and then the double-team with Kaiman and Nikaido subduing Ebisu was actually really well done and had some really great flow to it. Hope the rest of the show can keep this sort of CGI usage.
Jan 16, 2020 7:39 PM
May 2015
I loved the fact that they dont messed up with the gore scenes. The anime is fantastic beautiful and I hope they continue like this!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

205 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 28, 1:37 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

66 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 28, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

70 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 27, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

99 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 26, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

70 by FarCritical »»
Mar 26, 9:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.