Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' Anime Project Announced

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 6, 2020 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
Holy shit, this is a surprise. I second Yoigoshi-hen possibly getting adapted, but so could the Kizuna and Matsuri chapters. This is exciting news, especially with a new studio at the helm. Suck it, Deen.

But who's going to be Rika? Will it still be Yukari Tamura, or did she retire?
Jan 6, 2020 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
Two things need to happen

1. Get the original Japanese voice cast back.
No one can even really compare to have perfect the casting was

2. Commission Eiko Shimamiya to do new music. Also use the original theme in the final episode or something just for the hell of it lol
Jan 6, 2020 3:52 PM

Mar 2009
I need the original voice acting cast for this one. I loved Nakahara Mai as Rena so it has to be this way!!! It seems to be a retelling am I right ?!
Jan 6, 2020 4:03 PM
Nov 2016
Maybe a sequel to the Outbreak OVA?
Jan 6, 2020 4:05 PM

Oct 2012
a remake would be nice. its been awhile since i saw the anime. maybe modern animate it.
Jan 6, 2020 5:27 PM

Nov 2013
Greyleaf said:
All these people saying that Umineko needs a remake and failing to understand how monumental of an undertaking that actually is. The Umineko VN is almost 400,000 words longer than the KJV Bible (cementing its place as the longest work of mystery fiction ever penned), and in order to properly do the series justice in anime form, it'd require at least a 200 episode adaptation (lowballing of course, as that would still be cutting quite a bit of content).

Umineko is the longest VN I know of, but there's a few VNs comparable in length that got proper anime adaptations. I'm pretty sure Higurashi's word count is only slightly shorter than Umineko's if you count both Kai and Rei. F/SN is also close in length and will have almost a complete adaptation once the third Heaven's Feel movie releases. Hell, even Clannad's adaptation managed to work despite cutting out a few of the side routes and shortening every heroine route except for Nagisa's. Cut content is unavoidable in just about every VN adaptation ever made, but there are times when it still manages to work depending on how it's executed.

I don't think anyone is failing to understand how difficult it would be to adapt Umineko, just stating that it deserves it more because Higurashi already has a complete and decent adaptation(of the main story at least). I love Higurashi and the anime was great in my opinion, don't see why it should need a full on remake unless it's to appeal to younger fans/casuals who prefer up to date visuals.

If this is also adapting the extra console/manga arcs then I can see a reason for it, but other than that, not really. Though of course I will still watch it either way.
Jan 6, 2020 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
It's either a remake or a continuation. But honestly, I feel like it'll lean to the former because it's been more than a decade, and some might see the artstyle as outdated.

On the other hand, i personally think the original style of the series with DEEN worked in it's favor, all things considered. But I'm open for it as staff is left in the air. Akio Watanabe joining in here however surprised me, since I do like their artstyle. Hoping it works well even if the show itself ain't the best.
Jan 6, 2020 6:20 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
This reminds me that I should finish the second season already.
Jan 6, 2020 6:29 PM

Aug 2018
Seeing how "when they cry" is a good series and now passione messed up high school dxd hero, the art style with probably suck and this season won't be as good because passione sucks at adaptation anime, I'd rather them not make another season
Jan 6, 2020 7:40 PM

Jan 2019
Holy shit, Higurashi getting Akio Watanabe designs, what more could I ask for? I am extremely hyped for this even if it is studio Passione doing the animation.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Jan 6, 2020 8:06 PM

Mar 2009
Umineko next, please. Even if it takes 200 episodes. I miss Beato.
Jan 6, 2020 10:00 PM

May 2008
FINALLY. HOT DAMN. BEEN LITERALLY AGES.

Outbreak was actually alright since it wasn't moe blob crap that the last ova sets started doing, and I assume this one will be good as well.

Jan 6, 2020 10:06 PM

Feb 2012
Really big news, even tho I think the original series did a great job, looking forward to this as well, yet not sure is it a remake or something new.

Hopefully for Umineko in the future as well.
Jan 7, 2020 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
This news got me highly confused. X) I'm not sure if it's already time for a remake, but continuation/expansion will be great. The studio isn't the most inspiring thing ever, but oh well. Higurashi is one of my favourite series overall, so I'll surely be waiting on further updates.
Jan 7, 2020 12:16 AM
Sep 2014
Tell me I'm not dreaming!

Higurashi really deserves this. I love the original anime, too, but in all seriousness, the animation is just bad in it...

As do others, I sure hope they can get the old voice acting cast together.
Jan 7, 2020 2:12 AM

May 2014
Epic news. Yeee! (*❛‿❛)
### ||| 私はアニメと日本文化が大好きです ||| ###"Kago-ni noru hito, katsugu hito, sono mata waraji-o tsukuru." ###
Jan 7, 2020 4:07 AM

Feb 2018
I'm glad that I lived long enough to witness these kind of things. Hot damn.
Jan 7, 2020 7:01 AM

Apr 2014
Finally, more Higurashi. I have really high hopes for it!
Jan 7, 2020 7:10 AM

Jul 2009
Great news, though I'm mainly glad about this since it hints the possibility of an Umineko adaptation remake. Now that's one anime that needs to be rebooted.
Jan 7, 2020 8:27 AM

Apr 2009
Was Outbreak not enough to bury the franchise for good?
Jan 7, 2020 9:18 AM

Aug 2011
Well I don't know if curiosity is going to kill me or not, but I'm very curious if this is going to be a re-boot like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor. Hoping that they will keep it as ORIGINAL as possible. While a friend did point out that they should do Umineko which I do agree instead of Higurashi. Umineko should be finished instead of a "maybe" re-boot of Higurashi. I do like Higurashi so I'll probably watch it and enjoy it!
Jan 7, 2020 4:17 PM

Jul 2017
ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES EVER IS BACK WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2020 11:29 PM

Jan 2008
Yukiato said:
Umineko should be finished

Umineko doesn't have an anime though. What you're saying is strange Yukiato-kun. *stares at you with elongated pupils* What anime are you talking about?

Jk, but no. No, it should not. It shouldn't have even been started. I can't even bear to finish watching what they've already released of the Umineko anime, it's so bad. xD

I took a (very long) break halfway through the Umineko anime to play through the games as I heard they were much better, and I agree, they were positively amazing, so the source material isn't lacking. Just the way they chose to present it in the anime... lol. @_@
starstormJan 8, 2020 11:36 AM
Jan 8, 2020 4:52 AM

Aug 2016
I've had a mixed experience with this series but I am looking forward to see where it goes.
Jan 8, 2020 7:59 AM

Jan 2011
remake? not particularly interested even if they improve the low budget animation the original had, that first season was soooo repetitive
the show was ok for the time but nowadays we are so used to shows about cute girls wielding knives an laughing while being covered in blood that i dont think this franchise has much to offer anymore
Jan 8, 2020 8:16 AM

May 2015
Honestly, I don’t see the need for this if it is a remake... Yes, the first 2 old series weren’t outstanding in terms of production values, but they did a good enough job with the key moments and psychotic-horrific scenes. I doubt this new series is going to be able to capture that same feeling from the old ones. We also have this trend of most of these remakes ending up being worse (or just slightly better) than their originals…

Anyhow, I will check it out, but I’m not expecting much out of this project right now.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jan 8, 2020 9:03 AM

Aug 2011
starstorm said:
Yukiato said:
Umineko should be finished

Umineko doesn't have an anime though. What you're saying is strange Yukiato-kun. *stares at you with elongated pupils* What anime are you talking about?

Jk, but no. No, it should not. It shouldn't have even been started. I can't even bear to finish watching what they've already released of the Umineko anime, it's so bad. xD

I took a (very long) break halfway through the Umineko anime to play through the games as I heard they were much better, and I agree, they were positively amazing, so the source material isn't lacking. Just the way they chose to present it in the anime... lol. They could try to remake the Umineko anime from scratch, but I feel like it would be hard to do the story justice in an anime. :/ It's just so abstract and it spends a lot of time that they just dont have in an anime getting you used to the format, among other things. The second half probably would be even harder, especially with the foundation provided by what they made so far. @_@

*Stares back at you and glares* XD

I will say they're is some issues with it, but the story is so good (Probably because I like witches) where some characters are kinda like wtf. The novel and manga are of course a lot better, but you don't see a lot of horror witch anime that has a deep and interesting origins. Like myself I'm studying witches, myths, etc and it's just attractive to see such an anime that packs psychological, horror, with witches and some romance in it. Maybe if they did do a re-boot it might be better, or finish it!

I'm just hoping that eventually they do something if not it's okay we got Higurashi coming back !! XD
Jan 8, 2020 11:42 AM

Jan 2008
Yukiato said:

*Stares back at you and glares* XD

I will say they're is some issues with it, but the story is so good (Probably because I like witches) where some characters are kinda like wtf. The novel and manga are of course a lot better, but you don't see a lot of horror witch anime that has a deep and interesting origins. Like myself I'm studying witches, myths, etc and it's just attractive to see such an anime that packs psychological, horror, with witches and some romance in it. Maybe if they did do a re-boot it might be better, or finish it!

I'm just hoping that eventually they do something if not it's okay we got Higurashi coming back !! XD

I mean I just tortured myself by watching episodes 19 and 20 today. It just sprinted through the story at light speed, touching random plot points with like 1 sentence, even if the prior stuff to make that plot point sense was skipped entirely lmao. Maybe it could be decent if they had at least 12 episodes per arc, but as it stands, it feels like fragmented (ha) trash to me and completely lacking the spirit/emotion of the original material largely due to the pacing. Lol.

Just play through the games if Umineko interests you. It's well worth, especially with the 07th-mod. <3
starstormJan 8, 2020 12:12 PM
Jan 8, 2020 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
Niceu niceu very niceu

Higurashi was very memorable

Looking forward for this one.
Jan 8, 2020 7:09 PM

Aug 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Phlaryx said:

You’re scaring me man

It is not me, it is the age we are entering, accelerating towards uncertainty with alarming speed. All we can do is hope the friction does not catch up to us. Speed and friction, of the new decade.

“Calm down son, it’s just a drawing”
Jan 8, 2020 9:48 PM

Jun 2019
I want to expand on what I said in the Higurashi entry-specific sub-forum.

I have zero interest in seeing any of this if it's a remake, since the first two seasons are absolutely perfect to me not just in the script/writing, but the OST (not only OPs, but background music throughout being so scene-setting and evocative in a very specific kind of way), the voice acting, etc. All were incredible.

I love the art style of the original and the only aspect I could see being a valid widespread criticism is in the animation department - particularly of some of the animation being off-model at a few random times or not synced with the vocals (like the infamous ladder scene with Shion that's always cited). But it's personally something that doesn't actually bother me in the least, I don't care about it at all, and would take 1000% over the overly-polished looking current art style and animation which to me makes heads and faces all look more of the same and appear overly sleek and generic. To me whether the story was interesting and rich and detailed and had heart and raw emotion on full display matters 1000x over those technical trivialities. Higurashi is something that always wore its heart and what it was on its sleeve, and could be both ugly and beautiful at the same time, and in fact be beautiful and excel because it was at times ugly, and unafraid to be so.

I wasn't wild about most of Rei, Outbreak was just serviceable and decent, and what you would expect for what it was (a short standalone TV-movie or straight-to-video movie), and Kira was my least favorite offering from the Higurashi-verse by a significant margin. Yet I love this world of 80s Hinamizawa and these characters and their little facets so much I'll watch it if it's any new supplemental material (specials, OVAs, ONAs, etc.) regardless of how shoddy or rushed it may be (not saying it will be, but even if so).

But a remake of two perfect 10/10 seasons of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai from 2006 and 2007, respectively? No thank you, sir.

I think the logic driving constant remakes though not just with this if it comes to pass and ends up being one, but even outside of the anime industry, like in Hollywood, is that it's a safe bet to have some near guaranteed built-in audience under the name of previously successful material. But the creators often don't really care how it stacks up against or is seen comparatively to the original - at least to the original fans. The main goal is to attract a new audience with a perceived established formula for success in-hand.

So a remake would be great for those who never watched the original series for whatever reason (I never did when they aired, for instance, as anime was a non-entity to me back then - but only for the first time last year) or hated it because of the art/animation. If you're someone who saw the original, whether in 2006 or last week, and absolutely loved it, you'll probably inevitably end up being disappointed by this.

That's why I can understand logically why remakes are made for revenue reasons of going with supposed-to-be-sure things, but I personally have 0% interest in seeing remakes of shows/films I already loved the first version of. I feel like "What is the point?" It's never better.

No one will replicate the voicework done by Yukari Tamura or Satsuki Yukino for Rika and Mion, those ominous and melancholic tracks of the original OST, or just the fact that they portrayed 80s rural Gifu in a very particular way through a mid-2000s lens and now that may end up just feeling overly modernized or sanitized, or worse still, like a parody of itself milking the cash cow (as some can and do argue the OVAs all were, but there the content itself was new or never adapted prior).

If fortune is good and it is a sequel season though, it'd be the first new season of any show I genuinely looked forward to with such anticipation since getting into anime in 2016.

HaXXspetten said:
Don't see how it could be a sequel when they already adapted the whole VN

What about Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hō, released in 2014? It doesn't look like all of that was adapted.
WatchTillTandavaJan 8, 2020 10:18 PM
Jan 9, 2020 8:21 AM

Nov 2019
Well, i guess it will be better !

Jan 9, 2020 8:43 PM

Dec 2014
remake or sequel or prequel?

if it was a remake, will i have to go through the loop again?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jan 9, 2020 9:33 PM

Aug 2010
Higurashi? I wonder if it'll be received today the same way it was back in the 2000s.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 9, 2020 10:17 PM
Jan 2020
Well, i guess it will be better !
Jan 13, 2020 5:24 AM

Jan 2008
HaXXspetten said:
Don't see how it could be a sequel when they already adapted the whole VNl

Oh yeah? Then where's Minai Tomoe's arcs? Where's Natsumi Kimiyoshi's arcs? Where's Kageboushi-hen?

There's a ton of VN content that hasn't been adapted.

The image of Rena makes me think Tokihogushi-hen.
starstormJan 13, 2020 5:28 AM
Jan 13, 2020 6:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
starstorm said:
HaXXspetten said:
Don't see how it could be a sequel when they already adapted the whole VNl

Oh yeah? Then where's Minai Tomoe's arcs? Where's Natsumi Kimiyoshi's arcs? Where's Kageboushi-hen?

There's a ton of VN content that hasn't been adapted.

The image of Rena makes me think Tokihogushi-hen.
Well obviously they didn't adapt every single segment of it but all the main arcs that were needed for the main story are covered

Anyone expecting anything more from a visual novel adaptation is being extremely optimistic. Games like Higurashi are enormous in terms of total text-amount after all; expecting people to animate literally everything from them is pretty unreasonable
Jan 20, 2020 12:46 PM

Nov 2008
Akio Watanabe for characters designs. Couldn't think of a better artist to get his works slaughtered :^)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
38 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
48 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
4 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.