Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' Anime Project Announced

New
Jan 6, 2020 6:55 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
A new anime project for the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi: When They Cry) visual novel was announced by doujin circle 07th Expansion on Monday. Kadokawa simultaneously opened an official website, revealing a key visual (pictured) and an announcement video.

The new anime project is being produced by animation studio Passione (Rokka no Yuusha, Joshikousei no Mudazukai). Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, Grisaia no Kajitsu) is in charge of the character designs. Infinite is credited for production.

Synopsis
Keiichi Maebara has just moved to the quiet little village of Hinamizawa in the summer of 1983, and quickly becomes inseparable friends with schoolmates Rena Ryuuguu, Mion Sonozaki, Satoko Houjou, and Rika Furude. However, darkness lurks underneath the seemingly idyllic life they lead.

As the village prepares for its annual festival, Keiichi learns about the local legends surrounding it. To his horror, he discovers that there have been several murders and disappearances in the village in recent years, and that they all seem to be connected to the festival and the village's patron god, Oyashiro. Keiichi tries to ask his new friends about these incidents, but they are suspiciously silent and refuse to give him the answers he needs. As more and more bizarre events occur, he wonders just what else his friends might be keeping from him, and if he can even trust them at all.

When madness and paranoia begin taking root in Keiichi's heart, he will stumble straight into the mysteries at work in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, a story that is told across multiple arcs. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Studio Deen produced the first Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi: When They Cry) television anime in Spring 2006, which aired in 26 episodes. A 24-episode sequel titled Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (When They Cry: Kai) premiered the following Summer. The five-episode Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (When They Cry: Rei) original video anime series debuted in 2009.

Geneon Entertainment USA originally licensed the first season in North America and released it on six DVDs before going defunct in 2007. Funimation re-released it on DVD in 2009 and 2010, but did not renew the license due to poor sales. Sentai Filmworks reacquired the anime series in 2015 and shipped the first and second season, as well as the original video anime on Blu-ray and DVD in March, May, and July 2016, respectively. The licensor also released a complete Blu-ray collection of all three installments in December 2017.

07th Expansion released the first chapter of the psychological horror visual novel, Onikakushi-hen (Demoned Away Chapter), in August 2002. The eighth and final chapter in the original series, Matsuribayashi-hen (Festival Accompanying Chapter), was published in August 2006. Three extra chapters were released in a fandisc in December that year. The latest installment in the franchise, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (When They Cry: Gift), was released in August 2014.

MangaGamer released the original visual novel in English from 2009 to 2010. The company also plans to release Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou in 14 chapters. The seventh chapter launched on July 18.

Announcement

Official site: https://higurashianime.com/
Official Twitter: @higu_anime

Source: Anime! Anime!

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Shin Project) on MAL
VindstotMar 20, 2020 10:50 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2020 7:00 AM
May 2018
I wonder if they will try to actually make it a new metaseries for this decade, something that will expand the way Nasuverse, and Monogatari series did.
Jan 6, 2020 7:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
And yet again, about time to catch up to this!

Didn't expect such an announcement at all so I'm looking forward to seeing more news on this. Definitely keeping a very close eye on this!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 6, 2020 7:04 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
This came so much out of the left field.

I'm willing to give it a shot.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2020 7:14 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Alright, wow. Now I just need politics to calm down so I can watch this and play Cyberpunk in a few months.

Never thought we'd get another Higurashi.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 6, 2020 7:14 AM
Jul 2017
Wow ok. This is some interesting news to wake up to. Hopefully this’ll pave the way for a readaptation of the Umineko series as well. This is honestly so random lol. I never expected this to get revived.
Jan 6, 2020 7:16 AM

Jul 2012
What? Well that is unexpected, I'm really interested though

Passione being on the production list worries me though....
-miraiiJan 6, 2020 9:10 AM
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 6, 2020 7:16 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah boiiiiiiiii Higurashi is back!

Now I just need to start the anime :l
Jan 6, 2020 7:19 AM
Feb 2019
My heart skipped a beat when reading the title. God fucking damn, that's brilliant news, it's so good to see Higurashi series is getting something. I hope there's a chance for Outbreak continuation. It's also great news that Watanabe is in charge of character designs, I really love the look of his characters.
HunLeptoJan 6, 2020 7:24 AM
Jan 6, 2020 7:23 AM

Mar 2013
Passione? I still have DxD Hero in my head.......... NO,nononono NOT THAT!
Jan 6, 2020 7:28 AM
Jan 2018
Spin off ?? , Remake ?? Sequel ???
Jan 6, 2020 7:37 AM

Nov 2007
Say WHAT?!! I guess it could be one of those OVAs but if this is a sequel then Nypa~h hype! And you cannot stop me!

But that chopper Rena! Goosebumps!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 6, 2020 7:41 AM

Nov 2016
This is the perfect time to catch up on all the other sequels then, I guess.
currently: doing my best!

Jan 6, 2020 7:43 AM
May 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Spin off ?? , Remake ?? Sequel ???
Most likely completely new project of adaptations from the beginning.
Jan 6, 2020 7:54 AM

Apr 2018
Studio Passione, meh
Jan 6, 2020 8:03 AM

Nov 2013
Nice, remaking Higurashi when Umineko is by far the superior When they Cry work and is also much more deserving of it... Higurashi's adaptation by DEEN is already fine lol, what a fail. And it's by a studio that usually only does ecchi series, can't see what even made them think about adapting Higurashi.
Jan 6, 2020 8:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
shanimebib said:
Say WHAT?!! I guess it could be one of those OVAs but if this is a sequel then Nypa~h hype! And you cannot stop me!

Don't see how it could be a sequel when they already adapted the whole VN

Gotta be either a spin off or a remake

Think it would've been much more worthwhile to remake Umineko instead in that case though lol
Jan 6, 2020 8:07 AM

Nov 2007
HaXXspetten said:
shanimebib said:

Think it would've been much more worthwhile to remake Umineko instead in that case though lol

I have not played the VN but it could enter another route? I dunno. I am not a big fan of Umineko but that is probably because of the botched adaptation.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 6, 2020 8:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
shanimebib said:
HaXXspetten said:

I have not played the VN but it could enter another route? I dunno. I am not a big fan of Umineko but that is probably because of the botched adaptation.
Higurashi is linear. There is only one route and all of it was animated... so yeah. Granted Deen's artwork in it isn't exactly stellar so I guess that's one reason to remake it but compared to the Umineko anime which was not only butchered but also wasn't even close to covering the full story anyway, that would definitely have needed it more
Jan 6, 2020 8:45 AM

Jul 2019
That's a good surprise I guess. I don't know what to expect at all!
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jan 6, 2020 9:03 AM

Oct 2018
Wow is this going to be a Sequel ?? or is it just a remake with better animations and stuff ??.Anyways in the mean time i will watch umineko.
Jan 6, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2017
Will it be a Sequel or Remake ? Or a different route ?
And I love Higurashi but If it is going to be a remake I would have prefer Umineko instead, Higurashi was decent while Umineko was shit and İt didn t even cover the half story
Jan 6, 2020 9:24 AM

Nov 2008
With Akio Watanabe as the character designer and Studio Deen out of the picture, there's hope that the production of this season will be a complete overhaul compared to the previous adaptation. I've been re-watching the 2006 anime over the holidays... and the art & animation are both horrible! Honestly! Off-model character designs, dull backgrounds, just a lack of fine detail overall. It's one of those situations where, as a young anime fan, you simply don't pay attention to. My first experience with Higurashi dates back to 2008; I didn't give much of a damn about the production side of things but rather the story itself, which is still pretty good and the reason the franchise blew up in popularity in the first place.

I'm holding out hope that the rest of the staff with be good too. But with anime, you just never know lol. Wonder who the director with be, though?
Jan 6, 2020 9:24 AM
Apr 2016
Little children and excessive violence. This cringe again. Just when you thought international terrorism was the worst way to begin the decade, the gift keeps on giving... Stay strong people, the trials are coming.
Re:formed
Jan 6, 2020 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
I love this already

Jan 6, 2020 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Well, this is a genuine surprise. Will it be a remake or something new entirely? I'm hoping the latter, but we'll see.

Can Umineko get some more love too, while we're at it?
Jan 6, 2020 10:07 AM
Jul 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
Little children and excessive violence. This cringe again. Just when you thought international terrorism was the worst way to begin the decade, the gift keeps on giving... Stay strong people, the trials are coming.

What in the goddamn hell are you talking about?
Jan 6, 2020 10:08 AM
Apr 2016
Phlaryx said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You will know when you see it.
Jan 6, 2020 10:09 AM
Jul 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
Phlaryx said:

You’re scaring me man
Jan 6, 2020 10:16 AM

Jun 2016
I haven't read or played the VN but I hope this is a remake, i can't see how they can continue the story honestly.. and the animation of the old anime is quite questionable at times so i'd like to see what they can do now after 10+ years.

Now the real question is, Umineko remake and full adaptation when..?
Jan 6, 2020 10:25 AM

Jun 2015
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Jan 6, 2020 10:27 AM
Apr 2016
Phlaryx said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You’re scaring me man

It is not me, it is the age we are entering, accelerating towards uncertainty with alarming speed. All we can do is hope the friction does not catch up to us. Speed and friction, of the new decade.
Jan 6, 2020 11:06 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
I was just talking of Higurashi the other night and have been wanting to re-watch the series. Timing is awesome, I'm pretty excited for this!
Jan 6, 2020 11:07 AM

Nov 2013
Higurashi is good, but I don't think I can or should be excited with no available information

And umineko still needs an actually good adaptation. It's too good for it not to get one if this is. Maybe the re-release of the novel and that english release that is still in limbo will bring the needed demand.

I can see you

Jan 6, 2020 11:24 AM

Oct 2015
Umineko needed it far more if you ask me, but alright. 07th Expansion getting recognition must be good ig.
Jan 6, 2020 11:35 AM

Feb 2012
I still would've preferred Umineko, but this is good too. Both stories have numerous arcs that have yet to be animated.
Jan 6, 2020 11:36 AM

Nov 2018
That's good news.
But I'd like it more when Umineko also get animated in better way.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jan 6, 2020 11:57 AM

Jan 2010
Finaly we'll get rest of Ayakashisenshi-hen!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Jan 6, 2020 12:51 PM

Jan 2016
If this is a sequel, I'm probably never going to bother watching it , but if it's adapting this then I may watch it since I never read the manga for it. However if this is a reboot done by a good studio I'm probably going to watch it because the original When They Cry went downhill when
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Jan 6, 2020 12:51 PM

May 2018
Hoping for them to adapt many unadapted arcs from the manga and games.
EsieEyenJan 6, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 6, 2020 12:58 PM

Jan 2016
-Panda_Hero- said:

My guess this show is probably going to be rated on MAL as low as OPM s2 or lower.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Jan 6, 2020 1:11 PM

Apr 2015
its what it deserves ! more 07th expansion content yeah
Jan 6, 2020 1:56 PM

Jan 2018
All these people saying that Umineko needs a remake and failing to understand how monumental of an undertaking that actually is. The Umineko VN is almost 400,000 words longer than the KJV Bible (cementing its place as the longest work of mystery fiction ever penned), and in order to properly do the series justice in anime form, it'd require at least a 200 episode adaptation (lowballing of course, as that would still be cutting quite a bit of content).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 6, 2020 2:06 PM
Jun 2017
Well, I wasn't expecting this... but I'll take it.
Hype!
Jan 6, 2020 2:34 PM

May 2014
God, I loved the original anime. Is this a remake?
Jan 6, 2020 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
GreenClock said:
-Panda_Hero- said:

My guess this show is probably going to be rated on MAL as low as OPM s2 or lower.

Which is sad because Higurashi is a good franchise... I won't have my expectations high just in case but at least Infinite studio is also named as Producing and they have good series under their belt so there's that.

We can't say much without further information though.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 6, 2020 2:38 PM

Aug 2015
Awesome, random tho, what are they even going to do, maybe a remake
either way, I'm hyped to see more Rena!!
Jan 6, 2020 2:46 PM

Dec 2013
I wonder if they'll keep up the tradition of having sub-par animation. That was the true horror of the show tbh.
Jan 6, 2020 2:51 PM

Nov 2018
I guess this will be a remake with with some of the unadapted material from the VN or a sequel. I'm excited anyway.
Jan 6, 2020 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
WHOA!

So, we're getting a remake!

Sounds cool!

Excited for this....Higurashi was one of the FIRST anime I ever saw, and to this date one of my ALL TIME favorite in the "horror" genre!

Will definitely watch this!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
6 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.