Forum Settings
Forums

What's the dumbest premise of an anime you've ever seen?

New
Dec 2, 2019 12:11 AM

Feb 2019
Just to clarify, "dumb" doesn't always mean bad. It's entirely possible to have a really good anime even with a dumb premise/plotline/character/etc...

Dumb can mean stupid, silly, really edgy, immature, or absurd if you want

for me, the Japanese government building aircraft carriers and using them as girls' schools and replacing normal sports with them driving tanks and battling is a perfect example. Great show tho
Dec 2, 2019 12:16 AM

Jul 2012
Recently, it has to be Cautious Hero. This show is on crack.
Dec 2, 2019 12:25 AM
Apr 2017
I mean, ansatsu kyoushitsu's premise is dumb as fuck. Still works perfectly well.

Arakawa under the bridge has a stupid premise too. Doesn't work that well as an anime but the premise is eventually inconsequential anyway.

Hakata tonkotsu ramen had a premise that was braindead. No idea how it went on since I had to drop it, it made my eyes bleed so much, but the premise alone was unbelievably stupid.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Dec 2, 2019 12:54 AM

Jul 2016
For me that has to be chio's school road I never believe they can stretch a paper thin premise even more than that across a 12 episode anime series.Also another one anime I forgot the name of, but consisted of two girls talking on the railroad,that was all there was to it.
SummerynDec 2, 2019 12:59 AM
Dec 2, 2019 12:58 AM

Jan 2019
Marimashita Iruma-kun.

The Boy cannot turn down any request if someone says Please.
You can ask him to do anything as long as you say Please.
Dec 2, 2019 1:09 AM

May 2015
Anill said:
Having a cute girl as your hand and falling in love with her.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/330/Midori_no_Hibi

:D :D WTF? Seriously? And it has a rating around 7.5. Is it really that "good" or that average score is just a trolling like in the case of Pingu.
Dec 2, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2018
Anill said:

Tho, this is not the correct description of Midori No Hibi.

Midori is a real person who is magically (?) fused with Seiji.
They are forced to live together, adapt + overcome the challenges of this absurd situation (like body horror but made cute) and search for a way to return Midori in her real body.

alshuDec 2, 2019 2:16 AM
Dec 2, 2019 2:32 AM

Dec 2018
Missaliensan said:
Also another one anime I forgot the name of, but consisted of two girls talking on the railroad,that was all there was to it.

Fumikiri Jikan is the anime and there are other characters also other than those 2 girls.
Nipah.
Dec 2, 2019 2:33 AM
May 2019
Not an anime, but Magic Mushroom is hard to be topped.
A boy's penis turns into a girl. Once another boy at school discovers this, he reveals that his penis, too, is a girl! Their penises then have yuri sex.

From Anime:
Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman - Perfect Religion Academy teaches the future leaders of all faiths. Our MC is a catholic who attends this school who soon discovers a rampant devil worshipping cult at the school. The Buddha then turns up and declares that she is now the masked hero Gautaman who must use her perfect booty to crush evil...

Onara Gorou - Onara Gorou follows the everyday life of Gorou, the "most admirable of farts," as he solves problems in ways that only a fart can.

Ninja Resurrection - Jesus is reincarnated in Edo period japan and leads a rebellion. But the prophecy warns that if he is killed he will be reborn s the devil.

California Crisis - A guy and a girl find a mysterious orb which is 'the American dream'. They must now go to death valley in order to discover its mysteries.
Dec 2, 2019 2:34 AM

Jul 2016
Lysendra said:
Missaliensan said:
Also another one anime I forgot the name of, but consisted of two girls talking on the railroad,that was all there was to it.

Fumikiri Jikan is the anime and there are other characters also other than those 2 girls.

You´re right it´s that one,and i didn´t watch the anime so obviously i wouldn´t know.I just thought it was a good candidate for the most boring premise of all time.
Dec 2, 2019 2:38 AM

Jul 2016
Xstasy said:
A boy's penis turns into a girl. Once another boy at school discovers this, he reveals that his penis, too, is a girl! Their penises then have yuri sex.

From anime:
Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman - Perfect Religion Academy teaches the future leaders of all faiths. Our MC is a catholic who attends this school who soon discovers a rampant devil worshipping cult at the school. The Buddha then turns up and declares that she is now the masked hero Gautaman who must use her perfect booty to crush evil...

Onara Gorou - Onara Gorou follows the everyday life of Gorou, the "most admirable of farts," as he solves problems in ways that only a fart can.

Ninja Resurrection - Jesus is reincarnated in Edo period japan and leads a rebellion. But the prophecy warns that if he is killed he will be reborn s the devil.

California Crisis - A guy and a girl find a mysterious orb which is 'the American dream'. They must now go to death valley in order to discover its mysteries.

You reminded me of Onara gorou....that was certainly something.All of the other ones i didn´t even know existed.
Dec 2, 2019 3:15 AM

Oct 2010
Clothes made out of fabric are alien invaders who want to destroy the earth, enters our bombastic almost-lesbian main girl who fights against the rule of another girl with the power of a talking sailor school uniform and a giant half scissor. The show is great though.

High schoolers fight at your local convenience store to buy the half price bento.

Girls fight on a platform on the water using their butts and tits to attack/defend. Apparently that is the most watched sport in utopian japan. Damn! Keijo was incredible.
Dec 2, 2019 3:20 AM

May 2016
Dr. Stone

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken

Kill la Kill
Dec 2, 2019 3:51 AM

Oct 2008
Working out at home or at the gym. I have seen two and thank goodness for small miracles. I hope they don't make any more.
Dec 2, 2019 4:02 AM

Sep 2018
I love most of the ones with really strange premises.

There is also Masou Gakuen HxH where the MC must give women orgasms to power up their body suits for fighting and of course Manyuu Hikenchou where boobs rule the world and you can slice off a womans boobs to give them an a cup and steal them and become an H cup.
Dec 2, 2019 4:10 AM
Feb 2019
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is currently the most dumb one currently that I have seen (if we talk about only anime here). Not that it's bad, quite entertaining.
Dec 2, 2019 4:16 AM

Jun 2019
Keijo!!!!!!!! is also weird but it serves as a good ecchi bait tho
Dec 2, 2019 4:35 AM

Jan 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5112/Akikan

Anthropomorphic beverages, I need say no more.
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 2, 2019 4:38 AM

Jul 2016
One recent one I can think of is kemono michi. Wrestler who loves furries gets transported to isekai world.

That anime is really something else...
SummerynDec 2, 2019 4:42 AM
Dec 2, 2019 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
Onara Gorou was something that had me reflect on life up until now, never thought it was possible to be spoken words of wisdom to from a talking fart cloud.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/33274/Onara_Gorou
Dec 2, 2019 3:40 PM

Jul 2017
I find dr.stone's premise to be the dumbest considering the fact that it is a sci-fi anime in which logic is deemed essential to some extent.
Dec 2, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2017
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31540/Sekkou_Boys

It's an idol show, but the idol group is actually four Greco-Roman marble busts. It's utterly wild.
TurnchDec 2, 2019 3:54 PM
Dec 2, 2019 3:53 PM
Sep 2018
Shimoneta: MC joins a terrorist group called SOX dedicated to corrupt the mind of society with vulgar and perverted thoughts (and those terrorist are the good guys). Also the government prohibited in their country saying pervert thing and the person who say something vulgar or sex related is sent to prison
Dec 2, 2019 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
It's a manga, not an anime but... Chintsubu.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.
Dec 2, 2019 4:18 PM

Nov 2019
Prison School. The adults in that universe have utterly failed at adulting.
Dec 2, 2019 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
Xstasy said:

HeruruMeruru said:
It's a manga, not an anime but... Chintsubu.
I couldn't make this up if I tried.

What. The. Fuck.
I know this feeling, I know...
Dec 2, 2019 4:33 PM

Aug 2016
If you mean dumb in a bad way, I'd probably say Mirai Nikki. A god of time who's about to die decides to choose his successor by making a battle royale game he already knows how will end and who the winner will be since he can see into the future and picks a group of people who couldn't be any less suited to the role of a god? Like, seriously?

In a good way... I guess it could be either Keijo or Kill la Kill.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Dec 2, 2019 4:41 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Onara Gorou made me think, for a split second, that maybe anime was truly a mistake.
Dec 2, 2019 4:49 PM

Aug 2014
Sushi Police. It's just as it sounds.

I thought it was entertaining, though, and the Pixar-esque 3DCG added to its silliness.

Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all comprise the elite ninth unit of the Sushi Police—a task force with the sole objective of sniffing out restaurants serving illicit or non-traditional sushi and eradicating them, no matter how insignificant their offense may be. The Sushi Police travel freely around the world in pursuit of these vile criminals day or night, with their strong sense of justice and the World Food-Culture Conservation Organization backing them. No offenders of Japan's traditional cuisine can escape their wrath!

During one of their purification missions, the Sushi Police encounter Sara—a hot, young, television reporter out to expose them and the World Food-Culture Conservation Organization for corruption. They interrogate her, but her wiles, skills, and charms allow her to easily escape from their grasp, setting off a chain of events that will lead to the true purpose of the Sushi Police being revealed.
Dec 2, 2019 5:38 PM

Jan 2019
MAYOIII said:
I find dr.stone's premise to be the dumbest considering the fact that it is a sci-fi anime in which logic is deemed essential to some extent.

I feel like Dr Stone didn't need a Villain like Tsukasa, Or a Main Villain at all.
The Logic behind Tsukasa is pretty dumb. But it also tries to show that he's not a Dumb character.

Dec 2, 2019 6:49 PM

Nov 2007
Ishitateso said:
Anill said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/330/Midori_no_Hibi

:D :D WTF? Seriously? And it has a rating around 7.5. Is it really that "good" or that average score is just a trolling like in the case of Pingu.

Nah. It's a cute anime from the mid 2000s. Midori is Nakahara Mai's one of the very early roles. But the story is really, really weird as they say be careful of what you wish for, haha!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 2, 2019 7:10 PM
Jan 2019
Chu-bra instantly comes to mind for this topic. A bunch of high school kids making an underwear club. Need i say more?
Makoto Shinkai is a mf genius
Dec 2, 2019 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
The one I can think of at the moment is Kill la Kill. I can't really think of anything else though.
Dec 2, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2011
Urotsukidouji

Hitler and his minions are using the monstrous Nazi Death Rape Machine to render the dimensional boundaries separating the Human World from the World of Man-Beasts and the World of Monster Demons.

beat that
Dec 2, 2019 11:23 PM

Jul 2016
shanimebib said:
Ishitateso said:

Nah. It's a cute anime from the mid 2000s. Midori is Nakahara Mai's one of the very early roles. But the story is really, really weird as they say be careful of what you wish for, haha!

The important question is how does it shit?Which this video attempts to answer.
Dec 3, 2019 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
I watched some episodes of it when I was a kid, but I still remember Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo. I mean, the premise is about a tyrannical empire trying to...steal peoples' hair? And the main character fights with his...nose hair? WTF?!
Dec 3, 2019 4:54 PM

Oct 2010
Missaliensan said:
For me that has to be chio's school road I never believe they can stretch a paper thin premise even more than that across a 12 episode anime series.Also another one anime I forgot the name of, but consisted of two girls talking on the railroad,that was all there was to it.

That one is Fumikiri Jikan and it's a collection of short stories from different characters as they wait for the railroad. The episodes are 3 minutes long or so, so it's not outrageous at all. A couple quirky characters every week having a conversation and that's pretty much the whole show.

As for Chio-chan think of it as a gag anime that simply expands on that premise for an absurd slice of life with quirky characters, sort of like Nichijou, but raunchier and worse animated xD

More topics from this board

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 24 minutes ago

3 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

26 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

6 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

17 by 707supremacist »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 hours ago

10 by meyve »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.