Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 17, 2019 11:02 AM

May 2010
i hate if when they try to redeem unredeemable TRASH characters like that chick with the book.
Oct 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Feb 2017
well, the pacing a lil bit but in the positive side it keep every second interesting. op are good and ed kinda ok.

yo this guy is not boring and not so plain ass generic who easily can be self inserted like the black swordman

so the girl who keep mocking does that to keep motivate her?

im intrested to read source material, i hope it is a 2nd person perspective writing

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Oct 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Dec 2017
Is it me or it does feel horribly rushed?
Also wtf is with this bully girl who just turns 180 in a second to best friend? The hell is that?
slavemaster_1991Oct 17, 2019 11:36 AM
Oct 17, 2019 11:26 AM

May 2016
I haven't read the source material but damn is the pacing fast, it's very disorientating.
Oct 17, 2019 11:27 AM

Aug 2018
I just realized that Elli really looks like Tobichii Origami from Date a Live.

This second episode was ok, but I'm a bit disappointed that we did not see a SINGLE second of Melida's training. Dunno if it was a directing decision or just a copy of the original chapter.
Oct 17, 2019 11:52 AM

Jan 2016
I'm enjoying this but it's clearly rushed which is a shame because I wonder how good it would've been without it feeling rushed.

That being said, I still really liked the episode. The only thing I didn't like was when the red-haired psycho girl gave her back the book and now they're gonna be friends 4ever!
But credit to the animation and arts team because they're doing a great job
Oct 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Dec 2009
Oh man, Kufa is a sharp dude. Before the event when she was down without any confidence, he intentionally incited that bitchgirl to attack him to make Melida jump into some confidence and clear her head a bit. I appreciate authors that know their psychology.

Melida is so gewd! If anything it's a shame we didn't get to see any of her training. Nerva's emotions are a bit difficult to parse... I guess she's supposed to be a bit of a yandere that was emotionally attached to having Melida as her venting doll for her comfort. This is some pretty sophisticated psychological stuff, dang. I didn't expect this anime to have this layer to it. Even her father was a pretty sensible man, like an unexpectedly decent father, he warned her not to get full of herself too early (because this is dangerous), and to build her integrity with more experience and accomplishment.

One thing this series did mistake, is the nature of samurai. The true bushido would not resort to traps and manipulation tactics like using sand, that is more a shinobi's style. A show like Toji no Miko is a better sample of girls with genuine samurai spirit.

Ashhk said:
So much loli everywhere
Loli? Where?

Nepkyuun said:
They skipped everything in-between Melida acquiring mana and the tournament. Omitting explanation on some world-building, explanations on how mana works, and just Melida's training along with the work she put into it in detail.

The fight itself would have been much better with more context on what has been skipped, but err, whatever. Rushing a lot of character building and going straight into more.. heavy scenes is really killing the impact they have.

I really felt a bigger impact when Melida fought Nerva with the scenes omitted, so seeing this rush straight to the tournament was absolutely disappointing. I suppose with how the characters acted differed greatly to the manga, it would also be affecting how I see the scenes.
Yeah i see your complaint here, as i said it's unfortunate we didn't get that in order to feel the payoff in this tournament. What they choose to adapt is a bit off-kilter i see, but what they are presenting is still pretty well crafted if you ask me.
(ps: you used the word omitted wrong here)

Nepkyuun said:
Kufa is just.. emotionless. Explaining it as "I don't feel anything from him." would be more than enough.

If Kufa's character had more emotion in him, then his would be perfect as well.
I disagree here. I'm someone who is normally unable to empathize with male characters much if at all, but i felt something from Kufa. Understanding him requires some more indirect sympathetic comprehension; reading between the lines is key.
GenesisAriaOct 17, 2019 12:08 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 17, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2018
Well Melinda was finally able to kick Nerva's ass, but unfortunately Pricket was a much better teacher than Vampir so that's why her student won after only 13 sec.
Oct 17, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2008
What the nani? There's a non-flat girl in the opening, that's impossible.

On a serious note, liking the opening visuals, the transitions are pretty cool and like the bits with text in the beginning of it and repeated again with added visuals part way through.

It seems they're going a bit fast with the pacing, at least skipping some smaller details like explaining how the mana works and it didn't show her managing her mana in the fight to counter the other girl.
Oct 17, 2019 12:24 PM

Jan 2016
That bully girl who ended up being a friend who become a bully to be a friend???? WTF???

God that shit was stupid.
Oct 17, 2019 12:40 PM
Nov 2017
Damn, I agree with most of the comment, they've missed out so much O_o. The manga is so much more entertaining and funnier than the anime. The explanations, the humor, the intense moments.......too many important details are skipped thus turning it into a pretty lukewarm show atm. Shame because I got really hooked into the manga. I will continue it to see where it goes but like Arifureta, the anime adaption is a bit disappointing atm.
Oct 17, 2019 12:51 PM

Jan 2015
This is more a girl's drama than an action fantasy. The driving point of the show in the first 2 eps have been to fight bullying which is somehow stupidly allowed. That girl had the intent to seriously harm Melida and I can't fathom how that's allowed in "school competition".
Oct 17, 2019 12:56 PM

Apr 2016
I think this series is nothing special but I’have to admit I liked this first two episode. I was thinking I wouldn’t like too much the series but I was wrong until now.
Oct 17, 2019 1:16 PM
Apr 2019
Did only me see that she dont have mana and then on the fainal moment of battle she use kamehameha what was that
Oct 17, 2019 1:38 PM
Jan 2016
Awesome episode!

Pricket and Vampyr's moment was really awesome and funny!

I am glad Melida won courage to confront Nerva, it was so much satisfying to watch melida defeating Nerva... And their last blown was just awesome, she managed to use a phantom blade, and she learned that by watching Vampyr and trained secretly, it expected Vampyr's expectations!

Elise is really awesome, she just won the next battle in 13 seconds! I would like to see Melida and Elli geting along with eachother, but both are kinda bad expressing their feels to each other!

That guys in pos ending might be a problem!
Oct 17, 2019 1:50 PM
Aug 2010
This is bit heartbreaking as a manga reader...

They are leaving out all nuance and context making it very bland. So much has been skipped (f.ex. the sentence "Just because your opponent has a weapon doesn't mean that's necessarily what they'll attack with" has absolutely no meaning if you don't see the training, it's the affirmation she is completely absorbing Kufa's training), leaving out any character development from Melida or what Kufa's motivation is for his heelturn

I was excited when I saw the quality of the PV, but now I'm thinking this is Arifureta all over and just leave us dissapointed af....
TwEeDOct 17, 2019 1:56 PM
Oct 17, 2019 2:17 PM

Apr 2015
I keep reading about the training between Melida getting mana and the tournament here, As I like some proper build-up, I would have rather them to take their time with the pacing, I hope we still get to see the training in the next episode. But I enjoyed this episode eventho the pacing was very quick.
Oct 17, 2019 2:35 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
About time those girls stopped bullying Angel when she used her mana. She still has a long way to go so Vampyr is going to continue to train her.
Oct 17, 2019 2:36 PM

Nov 2011
I'm glad they skipped training and went right to the tournament. Pretty good fight. Ms. Prickett is pretty funny and apparently she's amazing! I like her though and her pouty face.

Looking forward to seeing what Ellie can actually do.

Opening was pretty good as well.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 17, 2019 3:16 PM

Dec 2016
I see that many LN and manga readers complain about lack of comedy but I must say that at least for me as non-reader I really enjoy how serious this anime is. Now if only Rosetti was more serious...
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 17, 2019 3:22 PM

Oct 2019
I tought Melida was going to be one of those characters that only get bullied but she stood up for herself and I felt very proud wen she fought the other girl.
Diden't expect Vampyr to be that funny, I'm glad that he actually has a personality, he also defended his loli and if he protec I respec.
I haven't read the light novel but I'm glad they skipped unnecessary exposition about the mana, if you watched any shonen or played any RPG you don't need much explication
Oct 17, 2019 3:41 PM
Apr 2017
Say guys
Is this going to be about "Ojou sama" girls fighting with Magic?
Asking before I drop
Oct 17, 2019 3:42 PM

Sep 2011
Nieznajomy43 said:
I see that many LN and manga readers complain about lack of comedy but I must say that at least for me as non-reader I really enjoy how serious this anime is. Now if only Rosetti was more serious...

The thing with those comedy moments is that most of them give more personality and expressions to Kufa, who in the anime is just.... as plain as it can be. Notice how the only comedic moment they didn't cut (shuting up Nerva) gave him some type of emotion for the first time. He even has quite a childish side (he's not that old after all). He was supposed to show Melida a smile like a 5 years old at the end of the match... But well. We can forgive that.
If only that was the problem...

First episode was arguably rushed, but this second episode was just stupid. They cut lots of content related to the mana and Melida's training. The win feels empty. The sudden improvement feels empty.

In the manga we see her struggling again ang again, and training really hard. We come to hate Nerva twice as much, and we feel the same happiness and PRIDE as Kufa experiences watching the fight (that was cut too).

In the anime, she magically has mana and magically defeats one of the best users in her course just because, no explanation whatsoever.
The manga clarifies why Melida is capable of winning, even though she has just started using mana.

I honestly don't know what do they want this series to be. If you want to take the develpment of the characters' relations and the comedy off, at least focus on the magic and world building... Don't throw both away. I don't get it.

This was a big disappointment for me to be honest.
"If you wish so ardently for your life to disappear then give it to me!"
Oct 17, 2019 4:41 PM

Jul 2017
I thought I was wrong, but as the comments and discussion follow, it's like the story and plots were NOT even considered by the production team to showcase, getting into the results without showing the evidence of all the effort. What a way to butcher the manga. Guess we'll be watching another Arifureta once again, but with a tad OK animation.

Nerva just sounds like Anne from Granbelm, just a much less refined character that is as bitchy as I'd thought. As for Melida, getting her mana back is but the first step in this travesty.

In just 2 episodes, this has become from average to just straight-up trash. Guess I'll be reading the manga to catch up on the insane amount of cut content (which is a lot), which amps the enjoyment more than this lifeless show.
Oct 17, 2019 5:05 PM

Dec 2014
FireFistYK said:
I'm enjoying this but it's clearly rushed which is a shame because I wonder how good it would've been without it feeling rushed.

That being said, I still really liked the episode. The only thing I didn't like was when the red-haired psycho girl gave her back the book and now they're gonna be friends 4ever!
But credit to the animation and arts team because they're doing a great job

Sums up my feelings as well. I think they rushed into the tournament. Would've loved to see at least a training montage, missed opportunity there. It would've made the scene where Melida beats the other girl much more compelling. Nevertheless, I'm still liking this.

Not even sure why that dude at the end is taking issue with Melida.
Oct 17, 2019 5:40 PM
Oct 2018
The things escalated too fast. I can enjoy all aspects in this anime, except the pacing.

I like ED song, maybe the best ED in this season imo.
Edit: After watching latest SAO ED, this ED is second best.
Bingki-sanOct 19, 2019 10:55 PM
Oct 17, 2019 6:01 PM

Dec 2017
I'm annoyed that they just straight up skipped the training and explaining some important facts like mana or what can the samurai class do so that we can understand the classes better. Yeah sure, the same things I liked about episode one (the animation and Melida) are still intact but they are just rushing through this with no context or explanation. It's the same problems I had with episode one except it's more noticable this time.

Oct 17, 2019 6:27 PM

Jul 2015
I watched Mother's Basement's video on the Dad's Guide to Child Neglect... Her father is doing an amazing job. Anyway, seems like according to the comments here they skipped a lot of important stuff that would have been nice to see since I didn't know anything about this series at all up until today but oh well...
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 17, 2019 6:41 PM

Oct 2014
Honestly enjoying it a fair bit so far. I love the really serious tone it has.
Oct 17, 2019 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
while i enjoyed the smack down as much as the next person , i dunno about this show still everything seems to be moving fast and the whole shows vibe feels lifeless it's hard to put into words
Oct 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Feb 2019
Asuna v Myne was dope, but what the fuck is up with the pacing? They’ve skipped so much shit from the LN
Oct 17, 2019 7:14 PM

Mar 2017
This anime has some really unlikable and annoying characters
Oct 17, 2019 7:16 PM

Feb 2012
Tyleron said:
as a light novel reader they left out pretty much all of the comedic aspect of the source, my guess was their trying to make it more serious toned?. it's a good episode overall but goddamn the pacing was definitely fast in this anime, i do hope that there will be a episode where they explain much more into the world building since its quite lacking in the first episode.

soo much left out. but i can live with this.

and yes not much curve to see. theyre re like Middle school guys. 14yo if i remember correctly.
i wish and dream for the Future where everyone i care can Smile happily from their heart. But no matter where i look. how ever i see... there s no me. im not there. Just like that.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 17, 2019 8:03 PM
Nov 2017
asei said:
This one is better than episode one. Probably because of fight scenes. You know, I have nothing against loli characters, but there are too many of them. And this inclination towards a romantic relationship between Melida and Kufa is unsettling. I am not a snob, I understand it is fiction, but while watching I see them as real people. I will explain if they both were the same age, whatever the author wants I am ok. But he is older. He is in early or late teens?
asei said:
This one is better than episode one. Probably because of fight scenes. You know, I have nothing against loli characters, but there are too many of them. And this inclination towards a romantic relationship between Melida and Kufa is unsettling. I am not a snob, I understand it is fiction, but while watching I see them as real people. I will explain if they both were the same age, whatever the author wants I am ok. But he is older. He is in early or late teens?

I believe he’s 17 and I’m assuming she’s around 14 but who knows how it works in this setting
Oct 17, 2019 8:08 PM
Jun 2015
i don't know why people give 5/5 in this episode while they ignore "big skip" in this episode. kuufar said that he will train melida in one week so "show us that training process" or "show us flashback of their training at the selection battle". without one of them, it will be very awkward to watch this episode. you know what my impression to this episode? "let's bully melida and give scorn scenes more than usual in this episode" rather than "let's know more about melida effort to use her mana in one week"

is it hard to give half of episode with one week training session?

too much useless silent scenes, give too much frame time to several scenes (if you know what i mean), voice actor is just "an accessory rather than actor"

if until episode 4 i can't see acceptable adaptation, then i can declare that this anime will be end like arifureta

*poor the writer
Oct 17, 2019 8:22 PM

Oct 2015
Melida kinda impressed me too when she defeated Nerva, the girl was a straight up bitch towards her. But I'm also glad they got to be friends, I kinda want to see more of her.

It looks like the MC doesn't have that much presence so far.

Can't wait for the Elise battle though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 17, 2019 9:12 PM

Feb 2014
The plot is moving too fast. With the pace they're going, we might see
next episode.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 17, 2019 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
The first few minutes were pretty trashy (the hands on the loli stuff) but the fight was pretty satisfying.
Oct 17, 2019 9:48 PM
Jun 2017
I haven't followed the light novel at all, so I have no opinion about the lack of comedy.

I like (most of) the characters, I like the premise, I like the setting, I like the art style.

Everything seems super rushed though. In one scene, Kufa told Melida to hold off for a week, and the next scene skipped to the day of the tournament. I simply could not keep up.
Alternatively, there's episode 1, where Kufa meets Melida for 5 minutes, then decides to keep up three different lies that risks both of their lives.

The opening is ok, but not amazing. The ending is much nicer.

I would've liked more world building because I still don't know what makes a paladin so special, what exactly mana does, why there needs to be powerful magical people in society, and how that ties into the social hierarchy.

It's a nice show, but I think I'd rather read the light novel if the pacing continues like this.
Oct 17, 2019 11:26 PM
Mar 2017
They skip alot of content. Kufas character is was completely butchered they made him into a full time shoujo-ey prince type mc guy. Very disappointed sad to say.
Oct 17, 2019 11:40 PM

May 2019
The anime is taking a political turn, which is refreshing and nice. It'd be cool to see both the social hierarchy and the battle-class system explained.

The after credit scene was definitely foreboding.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 18, 2019 12:02 AM

Oct 2016
>Deadly assassin initially hired to kill this girl
>"Whenever I think of causing you even the slightest pain, I can't sleep at night"
Hmm...
-Damn, did you guys see him shut down that girl he met on the train in the first episode? I didn't expect this guy to be a thot exterminator.
-That scene where he sasses Nerva was so edgy. I had to pause for a moment. The way he goes from super polite to rude is something I would've eaten up years ago. It reminds me of those "I have 2 sides to me: "perfect angel" and "your worst nightmare"" posts. I used to imagine myself doing that kind of "personality-change" stuff in Middle School and early High School, hahaha.
-The fight was alright. It actually surprised me in a few spots. I was constantly expecting Vampir to step in and save his "little lady", but she actually handled herself. That much should've been predictable, but I actually thought "she might lose" for a minute.
Overall, it was a below average episode. Definitely better than last week's, but that's not saying much. Another complaint I have is that the pacing feels way too fast. I mean, that week went by in no time. To be fair, I haven't read the LN or Manga.
I will say that OP is sooo good. I am downloading that, for sure. The weird thing is, the first time I heard it, I didn't like it, but then it ended up being stuck in my head the whole episode, and I actually rewinded a few times to listen to it. So good on the staff for choosing "Run Girls, Run!"

Oct 18, 2019 3:20 AM
Jun 2017
Lesson learn: dont underestimate your opponent. Just take a look at what those bully did to melida. They underestimated her so much that she cant believe that she has able to have a mana and thus even beating her.
Oct 18, 2019 3:31 AM

Jun 2008
Seriously I'm disappointed...
the pacing is too damn fast, no buildup explaining what Melida had to do in order to get to where she is ( what the instructor put her through ).
No explanation about the Mana mechanism and how it works ( it's in this battle where Melida shows that she has advance control over Mana therefore overpowering that girl in battle ).
Not showing the MC feeling correctly, right now he is just a boring character while in the manga they showed that he still has mixed feelings about his decision of helping Melida the way he did.
They skipped a lot of content just to get into the action... this episode made me lower the score from 8 to 6.
lagendofdoomOct 18, 2019 3:53 AM
Oct 18, 2019 4:36 AM
Oct 2019
I don't believe it. It already went to the tournament? Holy, it's so rush and fast. Why did they skip a lot of important scene? It is good for building their character like their little talk, about how Kufa is not only an emotionless character, and the explanation of Mana, World, also Melida's training.

The fighting scene is good, and I love the ending though.
Oct 18, 2019 6:38 AM
Jun 2009
if
L-Mo-Reppin said:
asei said:
asei said:

I believe he’s 17 and I’m assuming she’s around 14 but who knows how it works in this setting

If she is 14 then it is fine for me

aseiOct 18, 2019 6:49 AM
Oct 18, 2019 6:43 AM
Jun 2009
lagendofdoom said:
Seriously I'm disappointed...
the pacing is too damn fast, no buildup explaining what Melida had to do in order to get to where she is ( what the instructor put her through ).
No explanation about the Mana mechanism and how it works ( it's in this battle where Melida shows that she has advance control over Mana therefore overpowering that girl in battle ).
Not showing the MC feeling correctly, right now he is just a boring character while in the manga they showed that he still has mixed feelings about his decision of helping Melida the way he did.
They skipped a lot of content just to get into the action... this episode made me lower the score from 8 to 6.

Well I gave 7 to the show. It looks good, but otherwise, it is definitely a 6.

aseiOct 18, 2019 6:49 AM
Oct 18, 2019 8:32 AM
Oct 2019
I feel like the pacing is just so damn fast. If this single episode would be expanded to two episode so that there can be some room for characters development and slower pacing then it would be MUCH better. The episode is pretty "meh"
Oct 18, 2019 8:36 AM

Jun 2013
her father is such an asshole
Oct 18, 2019 9:43 AM
Oct 2019
GenesisAria said:

Nepkyuun said:
They skipped everything in-between Melida acquiring mana and the tournament. Omitting explanation on some world-building, explanations on how mana works, and just Melida's training along with the work she put into it in detail.

The fight itself would have been much better with more context on what has been skipped, but err, whatever. Rushing a lot of character building and going straight into more.. heavy scenes is really killing the impact they have.

I really felt a bigger impact when Melida fought Nerva with the scenes omitted, so seeing this rush straight to the tournament was absolutely disappointing. I suppose with how the characters acted differed greatly to the manga, it would also be affecting how I see the scenes.
Yeah i see your complaint here, as i said it's unfortunate we didn't get that in order to feel the payoff in this tournament. What they choose to adapt is a bit off-kilter i see, but what they are presenting is still pretty well crafted if you ask me.
(ps: you used the word omitted wrong here)

I suppose that's a fair opinion. I'm well aware that I'm rather biased due to desiring a more well-built foundation before going straight into the tournament much like how the manga due to already reading it myself.

Well, nonetheless, knowing that still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I watch the second episode. If specific anime-watchers like how it played out, then I have no place to judge heavily. Perhaps this goes the same with how I perceive the relatively differing character personalities from both adaptations. I dislike how Kufa is portrayed, but it isn't off in any way to me.
NepkyuunOct 18, 2019 9:51 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2019

226 by hieu2000 »»
Feb 14, 12:53 AM

» What's with the Hate?

Aytr0 - Jun 3, 2021

30 by ayogami_M »»
Jan 14, 4:46 AM

» what makes the show THIS bad?

APolygons2 - Apr 20, 2023

23 by Akanekino »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

104 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2019

66 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.