Forum Settings
Forums

What are some hidden gems that you have found?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 8, 2019 8:36 PM
Sep 2017
Princess Principal
Flip Flapper(sad that the blu-ray did badly)

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2019 9:16 PM

Mar 2015
Some are more popular than others. I'll try my best to describe them : )

Gallery Fake - It's about a guy who owns a gallery and is really good with art. Sounds boring, but it's one of the best episodic anime I've watched.

Ghost Hound - Astral Projection the anime

Bartender - It's about a Bartender who soothes his customers with alcohol.

Oniichan no koto - Your typical 'I love oniichan' anime. What makes it stand out is that it's so bad, it's good.

Zegapain - I'm not spoiling anything, but I recommend going into it blind.

School Rumble - Hilarious Romcom. The ships are wild in this one.

Detroit Metal City - Might not be for some people. The MC comes to tokyo to create a pop band, but ends up the lead in a metal band.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate - Cute, good school anime.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu - a SoL set in Hell.

Saikano - A bit bland, but it was an amazing ride. It delt with war I believe and had mature themes. The romance was the best part imo.

Bokurano - Children are forced to die in order to save the planet. It's about the children facing and accepting death. Really interesting, has a big reveal later on.

Uchuu Kyoudai - where is everyone? This is literally one of the best SoL's ever.
A man named Mutta tries to achieve his childhood dream of becoming an astronaught after getting fired from his job. Mutta is incredibly relatable and the amount of detail into becoming an astronaught is amazing.

Major -What other anime details the entire life/career of an MC? It's told over 6 seasons, so it's not entirely rushed.

Yume-iro Patissere- Shokugeki no Souma, but with kids and sweets.

woah there
Oct 9, 2019 1:06 AM

May 2018
Random example for hidden gem - Tsukumogami Kashimasu.
Oct 9, 2019 1:26 AM

Oct 2008
2019 so far

Kanata no Astra - was unexpectedly good.
Gunjou no Magmell - I didn't expect this type of anime.
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. - an amazing series, I didn't think it would be this well made.
Oct 9, 2019 2:15 AM

Jun 2013
There's actually a lot of anime in this topic that did very, very well when they got released, did not stay unnoticed at all and are not hidden gems at all.

For me:

Grander Musashi
Lemon Angel Project
Bonobono (1995)
Hanada Shounen-shi
Shin Atashin'chi
Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru (I should really watch the other seasons)
Kasumin
Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Oct 9, 2019 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
Ef:a tale of memories
High Score Girl
Flip Flappers
Ponyo
Grimgar
Kinmoza
After the Rain
Little Busters
Shikioriori
SSSS. Gridman
Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
Ultraman(2019)
Oct 9, 2019 2:43 AM

Apr 2017
I'd define "hidden gem" as "anime I've never come across online until I did some digging/stumbled upon it here on MAL". In that sense:

To Be Hero - I did not expect to like it as much as I did.

Detroit Metal City - yeah, it had a manga and live action movie, but outside of MAL I haven't seen anyone talk about it (which is a damn shame, because it's hilarious).

Kanashimi no Belladonna - not what one would think of when hearing the word "anime", but still an interesting experience. Most of it is panning shots so there's not much animation to speak of, but it does go in some...let's say "unpredictable" directions with the art.

Peter Pan no Bouken - I've seen literally no one mention this. It's a fun and creative take on Peter Pan.
Oct 9, 2019 6:45 AM
Dec 2018
Fario-P said:
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Most of the community today (or so what I assume) tend to watch mainstream anime, such as Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone, and the others. Of course, there is no problem about that.

However, as for me, I've lately become enticed with anime that seems to have lower popularity because they have been buried with the fame of well... mainstream anime. Some of my examples would be R-15 which I really enjoyed.

How about you guys? Are there some anime that you think are not that popular, but you really enjoyed?
yo, hello Alex, never thought I'd see you here. dunno if you recognize me ;)

I know I won't shut up about this anime in the Anime & Manga Recommendations forum, but oh my god...
I cannot stop thinking about Uta Kata.
That show and Princess Tutu (which isn't really a hidden gem, but...) are probably some new favorites for me, I think. Would definitely like to see Uta Kata get remade/rebooted someday, cuz I do believe improvements could be made on a few things.

I think it's pretty safe to call The Demon Girl Next Door the hidden gem of last season. It was pretty good and it's a bit sad that not many people watched this as it was airing.

Bottle Fairy is a childhood favorite, but I still like watching it every now and then. It's not rated all too highly on this site, though.

The world I come from, these shows are indeed hidden gems :/
Oct 9, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2019
Flanders no Inu (Movie) (The Dog of Flanders, 1997)
Powerful tragedy about 19th century class injustice and bitter poverty, eventually leading to suffering and loss for all. Ghibli-esque quality and style. Hits like a ton of bricks (Grave of Fireflies grade), catharsis beyond mere tear-jerking. Make sure to have enough tissues ready and pre-book an anger management class. (8/10)

Oct 9, 2019 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe not so much a hidden gem but not widely known, Katanagatari.
Oct 9, 2019 8:24 AM
Dec 2018
Angels of Death or Satsuriki no Tenshi is one of the best shows in the "Twisted Protagonist" category if that makes any sense.
Oct 9, 2019 8:34 AM

Dec 2018
Hakumei to Mikochi
NieA Under 7
Kemurikusa
Konohana Kitan
Rolling Girls
Kurozuka
Juuni Kokuki
High Score Girl
Gokusen
Noir

They are all ranked 1000+ in popularity but I really enjoyed them
Oct 9, 2019 8:48 AM

Jan 2015
Anything that I found, watched and enjoyed which wasn't popular would be a hidden gem for me. And there are tons.

Some examples would be One Outs, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and Ghost Hunt

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.

Best anime of 2019, yet I've never seen a single person talk about it. Oh well...

Loved watching it, admittedly not to the same extent as you though.
Inferno792Oct 9, 2019 8:52 AM
Oct 9, 2019 8:50 AM

Mar 2017
There are plenty :)
The firsts ones that comes to mind are:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Mo Dao Zu Shi
Planetes
Houseki no Kuni
Oct 9, 2019 9:16 AM
Oct 2019
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Some of my examples would be R-15 which I really enjoyed.

How about you guys? Are there some anime that you think are not that popular, but you really enjoyed?

Nows there’s a harem series nobody talks about

The colour of loves hands down one of the best
romance/drama series I watched

It’s definitely underrated
Oct 9, 2019 5:22 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
LittleCr0wxxx said:
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Some of my examples would be R-15 which I really enjoyed.

Nows there’s a harem series nobody talks about

The colour of loves hands down one of the best
romance/drama series I watched

It’s definitely underrated

Especially that song at the end of the series. WOOOOHOHOHOHOH
Oct 9, 2019 5:30 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
alshu said:
Random example for hidden gem - Tsukumogami Kashimasu.
One of the things I really needed. :D
Oct 10, 2019 5:22 AM
Jul 2019
Keerthan_Alva said:
Hidden gems I've found are
kyoukai no Kanata
really underrated and very smart writing

outbreak company
the rating for this in MAL is just unfair

spice and wolf
suprisingly no anime fan I've met ever heard of this

Grand blue
funniest anime I've ever seen

Asobi asobase
ONE of the funniest anime I've ever seen

Boku rawa Minna
really good romance anime

these are my picks of the top of my head
hope u enjoy them!!!
Finally someone else who appreciates grand blue damn I love that show so much
Oct 10, 2019 5:41 AM

May 2015
Before any of the Gundam series became prominent, there was Space Battleship Yamato. It’s created by Yoshinobu Nishizaki and directed by Leiji Matsumoto October 6, 1974 and concluded by March 30, 1975 with over 26 episodes and that’s nearly four and a half decades since its release.

Oct 10, 2019 5:59 AM
Jun 2017
here sum diamond in the rough series
Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan
Level-E
and the series i grew up with, bakegyamon
thank me later
Oct 10, 2019 7:44 AM

Oct 2010
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=275530

best anime on the interwebs owo

do recommend
lots of music -
Oct 10, 2019 9:07 AM

Oct 2017
TodAboT said:

Golden Time (Movie).
Great short overall.

^^^^
It's on Netflix if anyone is wondering

Angel Densetsu
and
Honobono Log

Are gr8 ONA/OVAs

Oct 10, 2019 9:25 AM
Nov 2017
Mushishi
The greatest anime I've ever seen

Monster
It's kinda slow and boring until it hit 40 episodes, but it's so worth it

Made in Abyss
I know it's popular in anime community, but because of the art style, some people don't even want to give it a try. It's just so good.

Natsume Yuujinchou
It's the alternative of Mushishi, but it's almost into slice of life than Supernatural.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Again, seems like it's not a hidden gems, but it is for me, because I didn't expect anything but it suddenly changed my mind.

Vinland Saga
I won't say it's a hidden gem for the anime, considering it's the highest airing rating here, but when I found the manga, I feel like it's really cool.

Mononoke (not princess Mononoke, just Mononoke)
I really like almost every aspect of it.

Gosick
I don't know if it's popular or not, but it's rare for me to find someone who knows this show. I think this is one of the greatest detective anime.

Pandora Hearts
I don't really like the anime, but because I watch it 'till the end, i decided to read the manga, and the final arc is one of the best final arc I've ever read.
mohripOct 10, 2019 9:32 AM
Oct 10, 2019 10:14 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Ore Twintail ni Narimasu and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Oct 10, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
Aggressive Retsuko
space dandy
aku no hana
killing bites
Oct 10, 2019 10:36 AM

Aug 2019
Houseki no Kuni

This anime deserves more love as an example of CGI done extremely well. Also the story, the music, the characters - all are top notch. A really good show I'd recommend to anyone.

And it's literally a GEM :)
Oct 10, 2019 10:40 AM

Nov 2017
Ooh, here's another:

Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) - An energetic, fast-paced comedy series parodying JRPGs with a unique art style reminiscent of old 8-bit games and very expressive animation all throughout the series. It's about as funny as Konosuba - i.e. it's absolutely hilarious - but the humor is more childish in nature, which helps establish a unique atmosphere for the show. Probably my second favorite anime of 2017, and there really isn't a person I wouldn't recommend it to.
Oct 10, 2019 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Kaiji
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Juuni Taisen
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
One Outs
Saraiya Goyou
Tsuritama
Oct 10, 2019 5:36 PM

Dec 2018
sapphire, rubby, emerald, and rock
Oct 10, 2019 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
Inferno792 said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.

Best anime of 2019, yet I've never seen a single person talk about it. Oh well...

Loved watching it, admittedly not to the same extent as you though.

Ever since I've watched that anime, I've been making an effort to reconnect with my parents.
As an adult, it's easy to drift away from the people that actually matter. Life gets in the way.

There are very few anime with messages worth listening to, usually it's "hurr durr gotta get my friends to yell and power up, to beat Monster Guy X". Most works are skin-deep.

This freaking show, however, is beautiful in its simplicity.
It's not preachy. It's not overly dramatic. It just nudges you in a certain direction, very gently, like the main character and his cat.

Absolute must-watch.
Oct 10, 2019 6:16 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Just_A_ManBOi said:
I think a diamond is rarer. Also emerald best gem. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA
Oct 10, 2019 6:17 PM

May 2012
Looking back 'kiba' was lit. Lots others but first to mind.
Oct 10, 2019 6:20 PM

Dec 2018
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:
I think a diamond is rarer. Also emerald best gem. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

damn right but u sleepin on rock, rock will be on the come up soon
Oct 10, 2019 6:25 PM

Jan 2016
Depends on where you draw the line for a show being obscure, but some examples from the past few years are Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017), Flip Flappers, Princess Principal, Hakumei to Mikochi, Yagate Kimi ni Naru, High Score Girl, and Revue Starlight. For older shows, I've seen less actually unknown shows, but some that seem to have become more forgotten include Chihayafuru, Nodame Cantabile, Kino's Journey, and Bokurano. And for shows this year that look like they'll go that way, there's Run with the Wind, Given, Kanata no Astra, Kono oto Tomare, and Dororo.
MaskOfIceOct 10, 2019 6:28 PM
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 10, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2015
90% people on this thread: picks anime from mal top 1000 ,rated 8+

for crying out loud it's not a hidden gem

i recommend watching Sakurada Reset

Oct 10, 2019 7:13 PM

Jan 2018
haibane renmei, texnholyze and tenshi no tamago are absolute gold, not nearly as known as they should be, in my opinion. also a lot of 90's ovas are great fun as well, as armitage 3, a.d. police, baoh whatever, etc. also key the metal idol, while not great is still pretty good for a low cost 90's direct to vhs show.
Oct 10, 2019 7:59 PM

Oct 2017
Jeeez some of these entries are not hidden gems at all. I wonder what "Hidden" means to some people ;}

Golgo 13: The Professional by Osamu Dezaki
(his magnum opus film-wise)
is another entry I will add
Oct 11, 2019 8:41 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
ThatGayGuyOnMAL said:
Aiaigasa said:
Jeeez some of these entries are not hidden gems at all. I wonder what "Hidden" means to some people ;}

Golgo 13: The Professional by Osamu Dezaki
(his magnum opus film-wise)
is another entry I will add

So what's your definition of a hidden gem. Every of the three things I suggested were Completed by under 10.000 people on MAL.

I don't think he's talking about you but rather the people who mention Madoka Magica and such.
Oct 11, 2019 4:54 PM

Oct 2017
Roevhaal said:
ThatGayGuyOnMAL said:

So what's your definition of a hidden gem. Every of the three things I suggested were Completed by under 10.000 people on MAL.

I don't think he's talking about you but rather the people who mention Madoka Magica and such.

Yep, what he said
I saw someone list steins;gate as one example. 😂
Oct 11, 2019 5:30 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
incisorr said:
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=275530

best anime on the interwebs owo

do recommend

Nyahahaha. I think I have found one what I was looking for. Thanks.
Oct 11, 2019 5:33 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Vilkku92 said:
Ooh, here's another:

Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) - An energetic, fast-paced comedy series parodying JRPGs with a unique art style reminiscent of old 8-bit games and very expressive animation all throughout the series. It's about as funny as Konosuba - i.e. it's absolutely hilarious - but the humor is more childish in nature, which helps establish a unique atmosphere for the show. Probably my second favorite anime of 2017, and there really isn't a person I wouldn't recommend it to.

The synopsis for this seems to interest me very much. Off to watching! Thank you for the recommendation.

Oct 11, 2019 5:37 PM
Mar 2018
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Yeah, Manyuu Hikenchou. One of the best "brain off, dick out" anime series I've seen. It doesn't deserve it's rating in the low 6's.

You gave prison school a 9 and the 3 kings fan dude is you profile pic. Are you a comrade?
Oct 11, 2019 7:39 PM

Mar 2017
As long as you're not one of those viewers who dismisses out of hand anything over a few years old, there's a lot of excellent anime from the 1990s and 2000s decade that doesn't get a lot of attention nowadays.

One of my favorites is R.O.D: Read or Die. It has a sequel, R.O.D: The TV that is also excellent and well worth watching.

If you like girls-with-guns, it's hard to beat Noir.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Oct 11, 2019 8:42 PM

Sep 2018
yg01 said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Yeah, Manyuu Hikenchou. One of the best "brain off, dick out" anime series I've seen. It doesn't deserve it's rating in the low 6's.

You gave prison school a 9 and the 3 kings fan dude is you profile pic. Are you a comrade?
Yessir. One of the funniest series I've ever seen.
Oct 11, 2019 9:16 PM

Jul 2013
For the record, I don't consider any anime as of late to be a hidden gem.
Oct 11, 2019 9:33 PM

Apr 2016
tsuritima, golden kamuy, 5 dead leaves, megalo box.
Oct 11, 2019 10:02 PM

Jan 2019
God Eater, Black Bullet, and Dances with Dragons.
Oct 11, 2019 10:15 PM

Aug 2016
When it comes to anime, its sort of hard to find "hidden gems" since most well recognized anime is known among people who have a couple of years watching anime.

When it comes to manga, the thing gets way more interesting. Thats a better placel for hidden gems.

Anyway, If I have to call for some unpopular anime that deserve more attention, would go with:

- those who hunt elves.
- Saber Marionette J and R
- DJ agetarou
- Ebichu
- Attack no.1
- Tonegawa
- The devilman OVAs
- GS Mikami

:v
Oct 12, 2019 12:33 AM

Nov 2017
Water-sama said:
Black Bullet is in the top 100 most popular anime on MAL and God Eater has over 336,000 members, they're hardly hidden.
Oct 12, 2019 12:40 AM

Jan 2019
Vilkku92 said:
Water-sama said:
Black Bullet is in the top 100 most popular anime on MAL and God Eater has over 336,000 members, they're hardly hidden.
Nobody that I know has ever heard of them
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by Lucifrost »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

42 by Doutei-kun »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

30 by 707supremacist »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

61 by billybub »»
10 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.