Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 9, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2019
I was convinced when we first met him that Canute was going to be a secret badass.

Obviously that didn't pan out, but at least he's well set up for development.
Apr 29, 2020 7:05 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
There was definitely something more to Askeladd all this time. Interesting he says "I hate the Danes" despite leading a group of them and living with them all his life. Keen to know more.
May 7, 2020 1:25 PM

May 2016
Askeladd, who's the very one who introduces himself as the Son of Olaf every time he starts a duel, turned out to hate his old man more than anything in the world for how he had treated his mother as a sex object and casting her aside like an animal when she fell ill. That's no way to treat someone from the bloodline of the warrior behind the Legend of King Arthur or anyone for the record. I can see him plotting to eliminate the other commanders like Floki and probably King Sweyne himself but I wonder if he'll be turning his back against his own men too.

Prince Canute finally speaking up for himself confirms that he is best girl. Way too adorable and seeing how surprised Ragnar was when he saw him speak for himself for once was priceless. Ohime-sama~

The new OP excites me for the things to come and the new ED sounds like something I'd hear on the car radio and I really like it.

Jun 2, 2020 12:01 AM
Dec 2019
New OP and ED! got to love "Man with a mission" OP's, the ED is also quite catchy, i need to listen to both more.

This episode was a good one, no combat but Askeladd's and Canute's backstory. Both very interesting, Askeladd seems like he's going to be the OP villain due to his lineage. Whereas, Canute will be the turn to the a strong leader eventually.
Jun 3, 2020 9:34 AM
Sep 2018
Love the new OP and ending song. Askeladd is a true strategist
Jul 5, 2020 12:37 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm the circumstances have become more unknown more than ever. I can't see wtf is gonna happen next. Maybe they will all be slaughtered or perhaps get trapped I must see.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 16, 2020 7:58 PM
Chicken King

Jun 2017
That new OP is so inferior to the old one :(

That first OP was masterpiece... Great epiaode whatsoever!
Jul 21, 2020 8:28 AM

Apr 2013
I'm surprised to find 2 EDs from the same series in the same season to actually have clear english lyrics.

Aug 20, 2020 8:20 AM

Feb 2013
Maybe he is a boy after all.
Oct 3, 2020 8:37 PM
Oct 2019
Nope. Nevermind. I was wrong. Last episode didn't set up for a battle.

Very interesting info about Askeladd. I still hate him.

And this episode was merely average. We've hit a lull these last several episodes.
Nov 3, 2020 9:07 AM
Jun 2020
New op is good but I prefer the original same goes with the ending.
Dec 29, 2020 10:07 AM

Jul 2015
By the looks of it our warrior Thorfinn and princess Canute are going to be great buddies!

Didn't expect Askeladd had such a history and a hidden agenda up his sleeve other than gaining some profit for his crew.

Feb 7, 2021 8:19 AM
Jan 2021
I absolutely love the new OP and Ending! The art style in the ending is so good.
It was good to see Canute standing up for himself.
And the OP is also full of spoilers man.
Overall it was a quite decent episode because of Askellad's past reveal and he really looked like Thorfinn when he was younger.
Apr 30, 2021 2:50 AM

Aug 2015
Very interesting episode with an incredible revelation about Askeladd (although we could guess it from his discussion with Thorfinn earlier on the hill where he mentions the Celts-Romans)

Otherwise, this ED is a pure masterpiece. The artstyle is perfect and Milet's song is an absolute wonder.

5/5
May 12, 2021 1:36 AM
Jun 2020
the new intro is good, but i prefer the first one.wait the prince just talked! i wonder whats gonna happen between him and thorfinn
Jun 26, 2021 8:15 AM

Jun 2020
The OP has its own personality in sounding good like the first OP which I heavily like and this follows up like the last one

Not much action in this episode but it is trying to build up to the action by its preparation and their traveling to a certain destination Like there's not much to keep in mind but stuff like Canute actually talking more now than ever to Thorfinn well I'm not surprised by that

The ED is also catchy in its own way compared to the first one but this one just slaps and it's good and also it feels like I've heard this already.
Aug 4, 2021 8:25 AM

Apr 2013
I kinda doubt that Askeladd is really on the side of Wales, would be a weird turn of events.
Sep 25, 2021 7:11 AM

Mar 2016
The new OP is brighter in both visual lighting and tone of the song, it's far from the sombre atmosphere that exists in the first OP, but they're both amazing to listen to. So is the new ED, it's certainly more upbeat than the melodic nature of the previous ED. Nothing much to add to the new ED's visuals but the vocals hits hard!

Forget about this clever tactic to pretedn to be 'exiled' or the Welsh guy to actually be friendly!
BEHOLD! A grand revelation!
Askeladd has been a half-blood this entire time... A half-dane half-welsh who is the direct descendant of the legendary Artorias, we know of his plan to place Canute on the thorne but this background of his changed things. So it seems that his desire to fulfil his current King's order is additionally backed by his desire to rise up in the Danish ranks so that he could eventually make the future king, Canute to sign a non-aggression treaty between Denmark and Wales. That's quite an elaborate plan and ambition you got there, but what may come as a surprise is how he hated Danish people, hinting at the fact that he hates even his own men.

It's hilarious how things revolve...
The Danish men are like a band of circus to the Wales men, then the prince Canute audibly talking is like a circus to the Danish men, then finally seeing both Thorfinn and Canute converse to one another is a Circus to me, and all the audience of this show. This has got to be the most Thorfinn had said anything ever since the time skips. They're both hilarious, they resemble a wife and a husband squabbling amongst themselves, only... Canute is a guy O_O gotta remind yourself that.

Oct 5, 2021 6:18 AM

Mar 2021
DAMN the new ED was dope

annd there's more to knoew about askeladd which is nice
Nov 16, 2021 9:15 AM
Nov 2020
It’s kinda refreshing seeing Thorfinn slightly smile and tell jokes once in a while
Nov 18, 2021 8:05 AM

Jul 2016
wow. that half danish, half welsh blood. no wonder why he can speak welsh. but it seems that what he is saying about hating the danes is false and just merely to parade his grand reveal to asser to gain more trust. or is it? it was quite a neutral reaction on askeladd's side. thorfinn and cnut will be friends... i think so... the way they foil each other and are vastly different in their upbringing, personality, and looks. for a guy who won't say anything meeting a guy who will tell things as is, it's gonna do him a world's worth of favor of breaking out of the shell ragnar has created for him. though i don't really care for the song choice of this new opening (i keep anticipating the old one), i like the visuals.
Nov 26, 2021 11:15 AM

Jun 2020
askeladd more sus each ep
Dec 4, 2021 8:11 PM
Aug 2017
New opening and ending really good
Jan 6, 2022 5:16 PM

Dec 2007
the more the series go, the more askeladd getting better. though it's hard time comparing him to grifith from breserk, it's actually pretty close now.

the "talk" between thorfin and the prince was weird lol.

good OP that took good place right after the first opening. the ED was though calm as the first one...
Jan 16, 2022 11:34 PM

Sep 2020
milet ED or any song from them in general = good
Jan 25, 2022 2:14 AM

Jan 2021
I wonder why Askeladd hates Danes
Glad Thorfinn finally made princess to speak up
Mar 12, 2022 6:16 AM

Jun 2019
That was the first time I heard the Prince talk so boldly with someone and that also being Thorfinn. Looks like he really doesn't mind being around Thorfinn. Also, we got to know so much about Askeladd in this episode.
Apr 26, 2022 6:56 AM

May 2021
That was one hell of a revelation. Couldn't have guessed that Askeladd had the best interests of Wales in heart. Even he's a slave to something. That said, its possible that he might be lying.

Canute finally spoke up. He's a bit meek but understandable seeing as to what he had to go through. His character certainly has a lot of potential.

Aug 9, 2022 1:16 AM
Jun 2021
the friendship of thorfinn and caunte begins!
Aug 9, 2022 4:18 AM

Jul 2021
New OP isn't as good as OP1. The ED is pretty good, same level as ED1.

Well well Askeladd isn't pure Danish and dude also hates Danish. I smell betrayal. Sometimes it feels like Askeladd is the MC of this anime instead of Thorfinn.

The Canute and Thorfinn part was really good.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 3, 2022 11:11 AM
Sep 2022
Nothing really too interesting though the prince's voice reveal was interesting.
Sep 5, 2022 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
Another great episode. We finally got some more information about Askeladd's past. Being half dane half welsh definitely changes a lot of things. This explains also why he want's Canute to be the next king. Still there's something about his behavior which makes me think that he is planning more. Björn knows him for such a long time and he even he can't tell too much about Askeladd.

I think the funniest part by far was when the prince(ss) ultimately raised his voice against Thorfinn's successful taunt. Ragnar's face in that moment looked priceless haha.

Both the new OP and ED sound great, even if I prefer the old OP more.

A whole week until Askeladd and his men reach their destination. You can't tell me that there won't be any incidents.

Oct 5, 2022 6:03 AM

Dec 2016
First impressions, not a fan of the new opening and ending, though I didn't like the first ending either. The first opening was amazing though.

Bibimbapski said:
Anyways, I saw Canute's blushing face meme'd on Twitter a couple of times. I saw a lot of fujoshis shipping them just because they had a semi-argument. The miniscule condition to ship any two male characters together, according to most fujoshis.

These two were made to be shipped lol. One looks like a girl and has feminine mannerisms, and the other taunts the first by treating them like a woman while sporting a permanent glare and pissy attitude. I would not be surprised if they were the biggest pairing.
Oct 7, 2022 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
really great episode new opening and ed are great and got a lot of information about Askeladd this episode which was great
removed-userOct 7, 2022 10:39 PM
Nov 5, 2022 9:22 PM

Jan 2016
I have a feeling Ragnar is gonna get killed as the step to "make the chick leave the nest". The old OP was better
Sulfur2Nov 5, 2022 9:26 PM
Nov 17, 2022 7:42 AM

Jul 2017
The pacing of this anime continues to feel a bit taxing to watch through at times but this episode at least did have more going for it than the last bunch of episodes, especially with some more knowledge about Askeladd's character and his Welsh heritage in more detail and his history with bringing his incredibly sick, almost lifeless mother back home and his general distaste for the Danes, where he also has some of their blood in him too. The actual reveal of Askeladd's history a bit wasn't the most impactful thing ever but the whole history of Askeladd and some of his actions here is definitely compelling enough to give this series some kind of life despite how boring the episodes can feel in different times. Thorfinn didn't do much here but irritate Canute enough to getting him to break and whine/talk/complain out loud in front of everyone about him. Also a death flag was set too for Ragnar, and that flag being key for Canute's character (also there in the new opening). The series has spent time with him being timid, fragile and quiet like that, to have him break out of his shell and open his eyes to reality and gain more of a personality fitting of a potential leader of a country despite what he had to endure when he was younger with all of the political struggles.

The languages aspect of this series and hearing them all speak similar dialects of Japanese for them all still irks me even now, for how WIT and the staff involved put their work in with this series, this area is just immersion breaking over the past bunch of episodes. The visuals have been kind of sloppy in the previous episodes too, but at least this one looked fairly simple and consistent - not much battle animation to deal with too here.
Dec 21, 2022 2:38 AM

Dec 2022
Man what a good episode. The interations between the characters were golden, especially between Thorfinn and prince Canute.

I also liked the little detail they put in with Askeladd and the snow. We see him scoff when it is snowing, but we see prince Canute getting excited. This is probably because Denmark is a cold country and there would be a lot of snow. So for prince Canute it would make him happy, as it is his home country which he likes, but for Askeladd, he hates the Danes and Denmark and therefore scoffs at it, as it reminds him of Denmark. Really nice detail.

Dec 22, 2022 11:21 AM

Nov 2020
The Prince finally talks. Thorfinn is just ruthless now.
Dec 23, 2022 4:25 AM
Dec 2022
Beautiful everything
Dec 30, 2022 8:41 AM
Jun 2021
We got to know Askeladd is half-Welsh and half-Danes. I don't know if he really meant what he said when he said that if Prince Canute becomes the king he can get a higher position and he won't let anyone set foot in this Welsh land ofcourse aside from Welsh people and that he hates the Danish people. The Britannia Blood line is still not over. We finally got to see Prince Canute talk and why he doesn't usually talk much, hopefully not using it as an excuse as Thorfinn says. I like these kinda episodes ven if the fights don't happen we get a lot to know but it still felt that the episode was kinda slow.
Jan 10, 2023 2:46 AM
Dec 2022
Omg Askeladd is a half blood and has been fooling people all along, man he is my fav also he hates danes and is just waiting to be up in the ranks so he can help his motherland
Respect+++ but also he's kind of a traitor
Jan 12, 2023 11:17 AM
Oct 2017
The princess finally grew a pair
Jan 29, 2023 2:33 AM
Oct 2020
meow i have emjoyed
Feb 2, 2023 12:37 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I'm probably not alone in thinking that keeping the first OP by survive said the prophet for the whole rest of the season would be better. It's good, as is the new ED, I just still prefer the first, same as the first ED.

If it wasn't clear before, this episode marks the point showing that their are bigger things going on, even outside the war, and Askeladd is taking control of them. We also see how our 'main character' Thorfinn is really just a minor part of this story, another passenger just along for the ride (this whole first season is basically just prologue, his story comes later in season 2 which is airing right now), set aside for now while Askeladd's story is told. Speaking of, this is also where we get the reveal of his bloodline being mixed between Wales and Danes; his heart still being with Wales, most likely because that's where his mother was from and is the parent he truly cared for as it seems she was abused by his father, the one who was a Dane.

Forgot his name, but the guy who let them through still seemed to readily accept Askeladd's plan a bit too easily. The whole thing was promising, but still very much speculative. Did he trust Askeladd that much to go through with it? Or perhaps he just thought there wasn't much to lose in letting him and his men go through his country, and all the more to gain. 

Also I got it wrong again, but thanks to the visuals of the OP, I can now clearly see that "Vinland" is NOT Iceland or Greenland (is that where Thors had settled with his village after escaping the war?), but rather somewhere along America's east coast. Don't know why it took me so long to figure out, and I needed a freaking map to do so, instead of process of elimination. 
BetaMaleUltraFeb 2, 2023 12:40 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 9, 2023 2:11 AM
Nov 2022
i like askeladd's development
Feb 18, 2023 2:09 PM

Sep 2015
Screentime of Askeladd is way better, Thorfinn is so bland and boring, never liked how his character was.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Mar 30, 2023 3:24 AM
Nov 2020
Wohooowww more lore to the characters! Definitely invested for this series.
Apr 12, 2023 2:19 AM
Oct 2020
New OP, nice.

Askeladd is either cooking something interesting or he really hates the Danes and his mask is starting to come off. I'm hesitant to believe he actually has a goal to save Wales, seems like bs.
May 31, 2023 11:50 PM

Oct 2013
new OP is lame compared to the last one

Does Canute become a tolerable character? Or Ragnar?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 7, 2023 8:07 PM
Jan 2023
OMG THE PRINCE ACTUALLY SPEAKS?!?!?! 😱
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
Apr 26, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.