Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that start off very slow/bad, but later get better and better?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 17, 2019 12:43 AM

Apr 2012
heg said:
its safe to say any long running anime are like this even My Hero Academia (although that is seasonal cours airing though)

Not all, Kodocha has a brilliant first 19 episodes, but then slows right down.

But on-topic, I wouldn't exactly say they start out bad, but the early episodes of Rose of Versailles and FMAB are pretty ordinary.
Sep 17, 2019 4:12 AM

Apr 2019
ISOQuorra said:
Gurren Lagann [...] first few episodes - I would go so far to even say the first 'half' - were a bit too slow for me.
Too slow? Wtf. How about Teekyuu, fast enough?

Sep 17, 2019 4:48 AM

Feb 2009
Steins;Gate : First four episode are little boring

Sakurada Reset : The first two episode don't tell you anything about the anime so everyone drop the anime

Boogiepop wa Warawanai : This anime is confusing for the most, 10 ep ahead it become better
Sep 17, 2019 5:05 AM

Sep 2017
Kanata no Astra fits pretty well with this description

It didn't start slow nor bad, just averagely good, but it became really good towards the last third of the anime

And, as people said, there's also Steins;Gate
A friend of mine decided to watch it after I told her it was a masterpiece. She didn't understand anything the first 6 episodes...and then episode 7 occured. Then she couldn't stop watching the anime until she finished it.

Oh, and I got the same feeling with Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
The first 6-7 episodes were interesting but I didn't get hyped either. But it slowly became a masterpiece without me noticing it !
Sep 17, 2019 5:17 AM

Aug 2012
naruto.. not slow per se but the beginning was hard to get thru for me personally. it wasn't until towards the end of the land of waves arc that i felt like i wasn't pushing myself to watch and was actually enjoying the show and felt emotionally attached etc.
Sep 17, 2019 5:26 AM

Apr 2017
I would say Hunter x Hunter? The anime starts in a pretty friendly way... then.. well you know..
Sep 17, 2019 5:37 AM

Aug 2018
Trigun started as a normal average show and became a fucking awesome tale about morality and personal growth.
Sep 17, 2019 5:43 AM

Oct 2018
Hunter x Hunter gets top tier at episode 59, compared to earlier eps
Sep 17, 2019 5:46 AM
Dec 2018
FMA Or FMAB
Started Very Slow & Confusion but Later on gets better
Sep 17, 2019 5:52 AM

Jan 2019
The Chimera Ant arc of Hunter X Hunter 2011

(Steins;Gate was always good imo, long before episode 12)
Sep 17, 2019 5:57 AM

Mar 2017
Nakanohito Genome, to add a less-know title. It's definitely no masterpiece, but it managed to go from mediocre, or bad even, to decent in the newer episodes at least. Too bad it lost so many viewers in the first half :/
Sep 17, 2019 6:30 AM

Dec 2016
I will never understand this common thought that Steins; Gate's first half is slow and boring, when there's so much going on there. In fact, I'm part of that 1% of people who thinks the first half was actually better than the second, which essentially destroys all the buildup of the former, renders a lot of the characters introduced as filler characters and is bloated of blatant plot conveniences.
Sep 17, 2019 7:08 AM
Mar 2018
                                                                                                
Sep 17, 2019 7:25 AM

Feb 2019
Here's my list:
Shaman king
Gintama
HunterXHunter
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Vinland Saga
School Rumble
Sep 17, 2019 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
I hope when we say "bad" we don't mean "slow." Because those aren't the same thing.

That said... Hmm... Well, the start wasn't bad necessarily, but I will say, Release The Spyce surprised me with how engaging it became. I was ready to make it a casual time killer watch, but I ended up binging it.
Sep 18, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
This may be weird but Made in Abyss, i disliked the few first episodes
Sep 18, 2019 4:28 PM

Oct 2008
I have to say that if the anime doesn't grab you in the 1st ep than at least in the 2nd. If not drop it, I gave Gintama, One Piece and Inuyasha a try and dropped them, because they were taking their sweet time to get relevant.

I don't want an anime to start strong from the beginning or be as compelling as possible from the get go. I want the anime to be relevant in it's first episodes, if I get that I will give it's obligatory ep and if it touches base with me I will enjoy watching it until the end.
Sep 18, 2019 4:50 PM

Mar 2015

Pixel_Vapour said:
AstralBread said:
Literally no such thing. If a show's first 30 seconds are trash than the show is trash and nothing could possibly redeem it.

Also a lot of the people can't understand the difference between "slow" and "poorly paced." Yokohama Shopping Log is a show where absolutely nothing happens and it's great. By contrast, shows like K-on or Aria just suck, and the fact that they are also slow is inconsequential.

How does one love Yokohama but hate Aria? Seems strange to me

probably some troll, don't bother with him. Aria is miles ahead of Yokohama in terms of anime only.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 18, 2019 7:43 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I can't say Angel Beats started off badly (maybe slowly, but it doesn't feel like the right wording for me either), but when my friend was watching it with me recently, they did feel a little skeptical about the series until they continued to watch it. I guess it'd fit in this category.
Sep 19, 2019 1:36 AM

Jul 2016
Texhnolyze is very slow for some people until episode ~10 ish, after that is where it really gets good
Sep 19, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2018
1) The original FMA has a vastly inferior first third in comparison to FMAB, is slightly worse than the latter in the second third, and to my mind catches up near the end, from my perspective.

2) I found Cross Ange to be trashy and predictable for the first several episodes, but by the end I found it to be trashy and absolutely amazing.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Sep 19, 2019 2:49 AM

May 2018
johnbradshaw said:

Pixel_Vapour said:

How does one love Yokohama but hate Aria? Seems strange to me

probably some troll, don't bother with him. Aria is miles ahead of Yokohama in terms of anime only.

So Aria is pure CGDCT about autistic children doing pointless jobs in the future and YKK is about a slow apocalypse and the decline of humanity told through transhuman perspective...so you guys prefer the autistic children one...

OK but some people will disagree.
Sep 19, 2019 2:56 AM
Sep 2019
Phantom Blood (JoJo) is slow but definetely not bad, I'm not one of those people who praise JoJo so much, and I can definetely say there are bad parts and that Araki tends to make bullshit sometimes, like I'm reading Stone Ocean currently, it's very good but still has some bullshit in it, but anyways, Phantom Blood is very slow-paced even if it's only 9 episodes, it just feels boring as hell.
Sep 19, 2019 3:49 AM

Mar 2018
Planetes. It was so boring for 12-15 episodes and I really didn't like it all. Its a shame because after those episodes the show is very good but giving a rating to the show was very hard since I cannot erase half the show.
Sep 19, 2019 3:55 AM
Jan 2017
One Piece gets better, Violet Evergarden starts off quite boring, Gintama's first episode is honestly horrible, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam start off boring and confusing but are amazing after a few episodes.
Sep 19, 2019 8:45 AM
Sep 2019
“Certain Magic Index” starts out generic and boring but once the world is flushed out it’s really good
Sep 19, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
johnbradshaw said:

So Aria is pure CGDCT about autistic children doing pointless jobs in the future and YKK is about a slow apocalypse and the decline of humanity told through transhuman perspective...so you guys prefer the autistic children one...

It's not like that, but Aria's anime has three full seasons to cover the full story. While Yokohama only have 3 eps ova to show us a glimpse of its world, still good but not enough. You can dismiss Aria all you want but it already got what it deserved
Sep 19, 2019 11:09 PM

May 2018
johnbradshaw said:

It's not like that, but Aria's anime has three full seasons to cover the full story. While Yokohama only have 3 eps ova to show us a glimpse of its world, still good but not enough.

- Actually 4 episodes but the second OVA is made by another team and not that good as the first one.
- Thus it's unfair to compare them by volume, only by ideas and world.
- Not sure about "good but not enough" - I immensely enjoyed those 2 episodes of the first OVA. There is no way even 100 seasons of Aria to give me the same experience.

johnbradshaw said:
You can dismiss Aria all you want but it already got what it deserved

This is kind of meaningless - yes some random people not enjoying it have nothing to with its success: this goes without saying.
But guys, your point was "How someone can like YKK and dislike Aria - they are practically one and the same and Aria is batter at this".
Well, on the surface they are similar but YKK has different setting, different ideas, different processes going on in the background and mainly different artistic execution.
Sep 20, 2019 2:00 AM

Feb 2017
Most of series mentioned here I wouldn't say start bad but slow. Slow doesn't mean bad.

There are not many series that I thought started bad but got good later. Most of them start decent/good and just get better. Steins;Gate, JoJo, etc. started slow but good and only got better as they went on. Chances are if a series really starts bad, it won't get much better in the future unless some drastic changes happen (writer/director change, etc.)

Only example I can think of right now that fits "started bad, got good" is Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. It was bad then suddenly good.

As for the series that started slow but picked up the pace later, well, there are many of them.
Sep 20, 2019 5:20 AM

Apr 2010
Durarara. I was totally bored in the first chapter. I thought of quitting, but my friend told me to keep going. So I did. I don't regret that. But I do wonder why they made the same kind of beginning in the 2nd season too (or so it felt to me).

Sep 20, 2019 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
I'd say Steins;gate is one of them and like i really enjoyed it alot as it goes on and on, also i still remember steins;gate for how godlike it was at the 2nd half even though i have watched that show 4-5 years ago,another example is March comes in like a lion (haven't seen) but my brother told me great thing about it will watch it someday.
DustyGirlSep 20, 2019 5:37 AM
Sep 20, 2019 3:48 PM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
johnbradshaw said:

It's not like that, but Aria's anime has three full seasons to cover the full story. While Yokohama only have 3 eps ova to show us a glimpse of its world, still good but not enough.

- Actually 4 episodes but the second OVA is made by another team and not that good as the first one.
- Thus it's unfair to compare them by volume, only by ideas and world.
- Not sure about "good but not enough" - I immensely enjoyed those 2 episodes of the first OVA. There is no way even 100 seasons of Aria to give me the same experience.

johnbradshaw said:
You can dismiss Aria all you want but it already got what it deserved

This is kind of meaningless - yes some random people not enjoying it have nothing to with its success: this goes without saying.
But guys, your point was "How someone can like YKK and dislike Aria - they are practically one and the same and Aria is batter at this".
Well, on the surface they are similar but YKK has different setting, different ideas, different processes going on in the background and mainly different artistic execution.

Ok, so you like YKK more, that's fine. I just said in term of anime, there's no chance a 2-ep ova of YKK is better than full 3 season of Aria, simple as that since I don't read the manga. But if YKK ever got adapted fully and i get a chance to see it, my opinion then might differ.

And of course, I understand YKK and Aria is very different from each other, mainly from the feeling I get watching each anime. But they're 2 slice of life that bring peace to my soul and that's the core message I wanna talk about.
Sep 20, 2019 4:15 PM

May 2018
johnbradshaw said:
there's no chance a 2-ep ova of YKK is better than full 3 season of Aria, simple as that

Better in which way? Like there are 100 ways to compare them but volume is the unfairest.

johnbradshaw said:
since I don't read the manga

How is that relevant? If you ask me (and I have read the manga) the first OVA demonstrates enough.

johnbradshaw said:
But if YKK ever got adapted fully

Not gonna happen...sadly...or maybe it's for the best because the recent re-adaptations of older titles are kind of bad.

johnbradshaw said:
But they're 2 slice of life that bring peace to my soul and that's the core message I wanna talk about.

Are you sure that they have the same "core message"?
Their differences are big enough to make some people like the one and dislike the other.
alshuSep 20, 2019 4:38 PM
Sep 20, 2019 4:34 PM

Nov 2018
One Piece is one of them for me.I don't think it was boring at start but story was slow and later keep becoming better and filled with goosebumps.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 20, 2019 4:38 PM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
johnbradshaw said:
there's no chance a 2-ep ova of YKK is better than full 3 season of Aria, simple as that

Better in which way? Like there are 100 ways to compare them but volume is the unfairest.

So what, Aria is adapted fully mean that its world building and characters are more explored along with countless meaningful messages hidden within episodes. Unless you wanna say something else. I wanna hear it.
Sep 20, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2018
johnbradshaw said:

So what, Aria is adapted fully mean that its world building and characters are more explored along with countless meaningful messages hidden within episodes.

- By this logic Sazae-san is better anime than Mushishi because it's longer and has more content.
- Aria is a cryptic and has hidden messages? Like Gravity Falls?

Whatever.
Sep 20, 2019 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
johnbradshaw said:

So what, Aria is adapted fully mean that its world building and characters are more explored along with countless meaningful messages hidden within episodes.

- By this logic Sazae-san is better anime than Mushishi because it's longer and has more content.
- Aria is a cryptic and has hidden messages? Like Gravity Falls?

Whatever.

Yeah you can generalize everything right? Care to explain anything rather than the "enjoyment" factor?
Sep 20, 2019 5:11 PM

Jun 2019
There are obviously anime which start off slower than others, but I never really care for how "slow" is universally made to sound as if it's a synonym for "bad" in these discussions. Some people like slow dense worldbuilding and character development. I'm one of them. Not every show only needs to focus on one over-arching central plot all the time and advance it at a breakneck bullet train speed. Sometimes just being able to inhabit and breathe the world of the characters is enough.

Themousen said:
I agree with Steins;Gate, Gintama and Haibane Renmei, their start is either slow or confusing, but they get reaaaally good after

The first half of Haibane Renmei is more Slice of Life and fantasy, focusing on the worldbuilding of the mystical aspects which make up the world of Glie and set the Haibane apart from regular humans as well as their daily lives in their jobs, among the townspeople, and in their living quarters whereas the second is more of a psychological drama, but in my view, it's the fact that the show has both in the first place tied together so you're actually given a reason to care about the events later in the series which make it so great.

I don't personally like animes nearly as much where it's just: Main event happens, main event happens, main event happens. I want the show to feel like a real lived in world you can take the time to stop and get immersed in totally apart from whatever's happening with the main plot.

Maybe those who are naturally inclined to like the SoL genre are more sympathetic to this perspective.
Sep 20, 2019 5:15 PM

Aug 2018
twoego said:
Aybid said:
I wouldn't say Naruto started off slow. So much stuff happened right out the gate.
Neptendo said:
Naruto did not start off slow. Team 7 went to the land of waves like 5 episodes into the anime
A lot of people find "land of waves" hard to finish, and way worse than chunin exams. I personally didn't have any struggles with it.

I personally think thats the best arc in Naruto
Sep 20, 2019 5:49 PM

Oct 2016
for me Hunter x Hunter started a bit slow and I thought about dropping it in the first couple of episodes but glad I didn't as it gets really fun and has a lot of really interesting concepts in it.

I also thought One Piece started a bit slow too (didn't really like the first episodes with Koby) but definitely got to be one of the anime with some of the most euphoric/ dramatic moments ever for me so really glad I gave it a shot.
Sep 21, 2019 12:07 AM

Nov 2016
alshu said:
johnbradshaw said:

Aria and YKK are both top of the recommendations tab on MAL and I've been recommended the manga of YKK by other Aria fans. From my experience it is much more likely to like both than one and not the other.
Sep 21, 2019 3:10 AM

May 2018
johnbradshaw said:

Yeah you can generalize everything right?

Well, you are doing it so you must think it's right.

johnbradshaw said:
Care to explain anything rather than the "enjoyment" factor?

Apparently your enjoyment comes from completism or something of that vain. Judging about something by only a sample of it is unthinkable to you.

This is good and all but other people see different aspects of those same things that you like and dislike...which is kind of obvious but...
alshuSep 21, 2019 3:21 AM
Sep 21, 2019 3:17 AM

Nov 2016
I don't have a problem with a show taking its time to tell its story as for bad I would say currently airing dr stone. I really wasn't a fan of the early episodes and even though about dropping it but since ep 5 or 6 it started to grow on me and got better and better and is among my favourite shows of the season now. There might be more cases but this is one I can clearly think of right now
JoyBoy_316Sep 21, 2019 3:22 AM
Sep 21, 2019 3:20 AM

May 2018
Pixel_Vapour said:

Aria and YKK are both top of the recommendations tab on MAL and I've been recommended the manga of YKK by other Aria fans. From my experience it is much more likely to like both than one and not the other.

So it's unthinkable that there are some people that like YKK and dislike Aria (two in this topic)?
Trolls?
Bots?
Mutants?
Casuals?
Gate keepers?
Vic Mignogna supporters?
White privilege hobos?
alshuSep 21, 2019 3:26 AM
Sep 21, 2019 3:24 AM

Dec 2016
Steins;gate / Hunter x Hunter i'd say ?
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Sep 21, 2019 4:07 AM

Oct 2010
I think this is a common pattern in cute girls slice of life shows. Lucky Star is a classic example that many people will agree with, and particularly easy to point because the director was fired after those few episodes. Comic Girls first three episodes are average, and then it picks up. Anima Yell started super mediocre and even a little cringey with characters that just didn't click but a few episodes later these same characters had built a charm around their dynamics that made everything work. Azumanga Daioh's first episode is very hit-and-miss, in contrast with the solid fun of its entire run.

Shonen narratives that highlight progression towards a goal are also guilty of this. One Piece is an example almost by definition, because the scale of the adventure grows exponentially as the show advances. Gintama was still entertaining from the beginning, but it took a long while to introduce every character properly and since then things began to work smoothly. The first episode of Hunter X Hunter is easily its most unattractive, only behind the recap episodes. Haikyuu was a slow burn in the first few episodes with all the Hinata vs Kageyama thing trying to show the team that they were both valid.

More examples:
-The first couple episodes of Aoi Hana almost gave me a headache with the amount of crushes involved from characters I had yet to know.
-Yama no Susume's first season is lackluster, the second is good yet irregular, the third is close to masterpiece level and this growth is even mimicked by the released OVAs and specials. You can trace a perfect line upwards to describe the growth of the entire franchise xD
-The first episode of Cowboy Bebop may very well be its worst.
-Or the first two in AnoHana, the series really picked up for me when it stopped being just about Jintan and Menma.
-I think I began to really like Evangelion at around episode 8 or 9.
-JoJo's bizarre adventure is a special case because the different arcs are completely independent pieces of narrative, and it's just the first that really doesn't click.
Oct 6, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
Clannad - I almost dropped it and if it weren't for my promise to someone at that time, I would've definitely dropped it because I couldn't really like it during the initial episodes.
Oct 7, 2019 10:26 AM

Dec 2008
TodAboT said:
Imagine comparing slow to bad.
I really hate this mentality.

This.
Slow pace is not necessarily bad, it actually has a lot of benefits like taking the time to build good characters. It is fast pace that is actually more risky, because things can feel really rushed if the story progress too fast and the characters can feel flat and shallow if the time isn't taken to properly build them. Imagine Naruto doesn't take the time to introduce it's characters and their normal life and state and progress from one dramatic situation to another - you wouldn't get the chance to know the characters or the chance to like them and care for them.

Oct 8, 2019 1:07 AM

Mar 2018
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Every single one of my friends dropped Steins;Gate during the first few episodes. No exceptions.

A damn shame, if you ask me. Yes, it starts off slow, but when it actually gets rolling...
for real man, it's the best thing I ever watched, the first few episodes were really slow and honestly idk why I stuck with it so long until it actually starts rolling.
Oct 10, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2018
definitely shiki, the start of the show has a very slow pace... almost slow to the point where its torture... but when it picks up... oh my god does the show get good.

edit: im not saying anime that start slow are bad, its just that shiki is so slow that it drags on at the start when its like the viewer has already got the point
SeijatachiiiiOct 10, 2019 2:42 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
21 seconds ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
8 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.