Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2019 8:10 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
"Most disappointing show of the season". Be real, nobody was expecting anything from this show except people with shitty taste who even bothered to read the manga and the light novel in the first place.

Slimeshit, shield shit, wise grandson shit and now this... utter shit. Wew.

0/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 8, 2019 8:40 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I like the concept, but I feel as though this was the direct result of poor directing. It went lightning quick and we don't really know anything about the world. And where did he get the blueprints for a gun? Is he some genius? Because the show never established that.

Again, I like the concept, but they flubbed this debut.
Jul 8, 2019 8:40 PM

Sep 2008
Typical case of the studio assuming the viewers have a single episode attention span so they feel compelled to rush through everything in the first episode. They should have stretched it out and ended the episode at his transformation. Fill the anime with pauses of him actually thinking between his monologues. Add scenes of him looking around and show us the place to build atmosphere. It's not hard to make this anime good.
Jul 8, 2019 8:58 PM

Feb 2015
Wow, this is even worse than I thought it would be.
Jul 8, 2019 8:59 PM

Oct 2017
cchigu said:
"Most disappointing show of the season". Be real, nobody was expecting anything from this show except people with shitty taste who even bothered to read the manga and the light novel in the first place.

0/5

You said 0/5, but you still manage to kindly give it a 5 in your anime list.
Are you a saint or what? Why so generous?
Jul 8, 2019 9:03 PM
Mar 2017
I can not deny that this first episode was very confusing, although they briefly explained the travel to the other world and that the MC is looked down by his classmates because for his abilities, even though it was not very satisfactory.
I must say that the way we saw Hajime's mental deterioration was decent, the despair and the agony of pain changed his way of thinking about his companions little by little.
Like other animes the MC is betrayed in the lowest way, in this case out of jealousy, because of the relationship that we saw between him and the healer girl.
Personally I want to see the role of the blonde girl that appears in the OP and I want to see if the bastard who betrayed Hajime gets a good bullet in the face, also left me uneasy the relationship between Hajime and the healer girl that cries for him when falls to the darkness.
In general the anime is not so remarkable, the horrible CG of some monsters was sad, but at least the design of the monsters was not bad, the rabbit and the bear I liked a lot, but I think this will be another Isekai that will happen without Shame or glory if in the next episodes things do not improve.
And like many others have commented, the visuals of the OP were not the most successful which is a pity, at least the song is quite good on a personal level.
salbery755Jul 8, 2019 9:06 PM
Jul 8, 2019 9:10 PM
Mar 2018
First episode was pretty weak. You'll probably read "the manga did it better" a lot here.

I particularly disliked the OP. It doesn't capture the darkness of this series at all.

I hate the fact that they made it so dialogue heavy, even more so that the MC talks to himself when not necessary. Pretty cringe-inducing.

I appreciated the changing DNA scene, but the rest of the monsterization scene was just bad. The manga did it better.

You can tell that the animators know fuck-all about the rule of cool. The railgun scene was just terrible. The manga showcased Lightning Clad as what Hajime's mana looked like a whole lot better, when it covered him and ran uncontrolled, and surging when he's transmuting. I hate the fact that it's not scarlet red like what most people were expecting. It would've been better than pink, at least.

I liked Donner's design, at least. The fact that it lights up with Lightning Clad is appreciated. What sucks is that that's all it has going for it. The manga did it better.

Over all, the animation has lazy written in big letters all over it.
Voice acting is pretty meh.
Basing the character design on the novel was a bad idea. Amanogawa does not look hero-like at all. Should've gone with the manga.

It's looking pretty bleak. I don't want to drop it, because I love the web novel, but it's the vibe I'm getting.
Jul 8, 2019 9:39 PM

Nov 2015
Well that was an interesting first episode. And by interesting I mean bad: so many small yet important details were cut off. How is the viewer supposed to know just how weak Hajime was at the start? Or how insufferable Kouki was, or what a douchebag Hiyama is?

Reaching Rewrite-levels of confusion on episode 1 is real bad, but hopefully there's nowhere to go but up from now on. Looking forward to next week.
Jul 8, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2012
Directing level of Tokyo Ghoul, bad animation and edgy main character, what can go wrong with this series?

I would lie If I would say that I was expecting much from isekai genre but still I'm dissapointed.
Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 8, 2019 9:50 PM
Oct 2017
This was the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.
In other words, the protagonist was a useless first-timer at first and after saving himself from being miraculously and conveniently killed from that monster, he becomes a totally different person because of eating the flesh of another monster. Everything from his personality, which at first was very shy, weak and introverted to having a personality worthy of a bloodthirsty killer.

Another stupid thing was the increase in skills. If it were so easy, I think that someone else would have discovered it, wouldn't it?
This protagonist seems to me a mixture of Kaneki Ken and Kirito, garbage.

I don't know what's in store for us in the next chapters but my first impression is that it's going to be one more isekai rpg in the stack, I don't have many expectations.
The only thing that stood out and I liked was the soundtrack, which I thought was very good and accurate.
Jul 8, 2019 9:52 PM

Dec 2017
Well, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, I think we've found our contender for the most entertainingly bad show of the year. I honestly can't even hate it; it's so goofy and ambitious despite having no idea what it's doing that it wraps right back around to being charming. This is exactly my kind of dumb trash, and I suspect I'm going to enjoy every Horrid CG second of it.
Jul 8, 2019 9:59 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Ventus_S said:
cchigu said:

0/5

You said 0/5, but you still manage to kindly give it a 5 in your anime list.
Are you a saint or what? Why so generous?
I save 1-4 for anime that I utterly detest.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 8, 2019 10:15 PM
Apr 2019
Swietek said:
Wow that was the most chaotic and rushed adaptation I have ever seen, good job.
Half an Arc in one episode, if you didnt read manga or novel you would be confused by everything.
The episode was like, here is abyss, we have stats, I fell and created a oversized revolver out of some random rocks.
yea bro i saw this was premiering a week ago n thought i should give it a watch, so i didnt read the manga and holy fuck i was so confused during the whole episode. Im dropping this and probably will read the manga for it
Jul 8, 2019 10:24 PM

Feb 2009
White Fox has some Top-Notch series of the caliber of Steins;Gate, Re;Zero, a terrible adaptation of Akame ga Kill, though it was good until they invented a horrible final, a masterpiece like Katanagatari, and more recently, the polemic yet highly enjoyable Goblin Slayer, among others. So I thougth that this pretty average, simple, yet greatly entertaning Isekai would have a decent adaptation.

But if you see the works of the other studio, Asread, or something, they have literally just shit. C'mon, Mirai Nikki is their strong card. So I think White Fox just lend them the chairs and the desks, because they LITERALlY BUTCHERED THIS ADAPTATION!!!

At least the introduction. And is funny. Most Isekai throw you along with the MC to the fantasy world, an that's all, let the adventure beggins. But here, it was important to see how pathehic and misfortuned was Hajime, to appreciate his drastic change down in the bottom of the Abyss.

Yeah, then Yue comes in, and then Shia, and everything is sunshine, and things change, and this become pretty generic. So, if they don't explain in detail the only good part of the story, the part that gives sense to everything else, this adaptation doesn't have a reason to exist. They could have rushed everything else, but no this. This is the intellectual/artistic equivalent of terrorism.

Too bad I'm far from Japan, because I would put a bomb in their building, they deserve it.
Jul 8, 2019 10:34 PM
Apr 2019
monolith said:
White Fox has some Top-Notch series of the caliber of Steins;Gate, Re;Zero, a terrible adaptation of Akame ga Kill, though it was good until they invented a horrible final, a masterpiece like Katanagatari, and more recently, the polemic yet highly enjoyable Goblin Slayer, among others. So I thougth that this pretty average, simple, yet greatly entertaning Isekai would have a decent adaptation.

But if you see the works of the other studio, Asread, or something, they have literally just shit. C'mon, Mirai Nikki is their strong card. So I think White Fox just lend them the chairs and the desks, because they LITERALlY BUTCHERED THIS ADAPTATION!!!

At least the introduction. And is funny. Most Isekai throw you along with the MC to the fantasy world, an that's all, let the adventure beggins. But here, it was important to see how pathehic and misfortuned was Hajime, to appreciate his drastic change down in the bottom of the Abyss.

Yeah, then Yue comes in, and then Shia, and everything is sunshine, and things change, and this become pretty generic. So, if they don't explain in detail the only good part of the story, the part that gives sense to everything else, this adaptation doesn't have a reason to exist. They could have rushed everything else, but no this. This is the intellectual/artistic equivalent of terrorism.

Too bad I'm far from Japan, because I would put a bomb in their building, they deserve it.

Ya, they could easily have made this a 48 min episode and that would have been enough to flesh things out a lot better. But I would think the anime will get better later on when they get down to the real story.
Jul 8, 2019 10:44 PM

Feb 2008
Shit production for what is shit source material. Sounds fair enough to me.
Jul 8, 2019 10:46 PM
Feb 2017
I'm here without having watched the episode yet because goddamn the bad reception.

And with this one (The most trusted isekai title) doing so badly, unless JC Staff or Maho Film bring in a surprise. It is not gonna break the curse of Summer being the worst season for isekai anime. 😁
Jul 8, 2019 10:47 PM
Apr 2019
Eugenefindit said:
I'm here without having watched the episode yet because goddamn the bad reception.

And with this one (The most trusted isekai title) doing so badly, unless JC Staff or Maho Film bring in a surprise. It is not gonna break the curse of Summer being the worst season for isekai anime. 😁

Isekai cheat magician and 2 hit momma will be great isekai, and this one can definitely still get better.

tiwibo said:
elementex said:

Fairy gone is just a garbage story, this is a million times better no matter how bad they adapt it because it is an interesting premise to begin with

Yeah, so just rate a broken adaptation 10/10 just in case.

The premise is still cool as heck, and the waifus can definitely raise up the score for this anime if they are good.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:29 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:04 PM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
tiwibo said:

Yeah, so just rate a broken adaptation 10/10 just in case.

The premise is still cool as heck, and the waifus can definitely raise up the score for this anime if they are good.

Yeah, and so are Transformers every time Bay was making one of its films. Just go to LN or manga page and rate it 10 there instead of doing it here. In fact, I'll link it HERE
Jul 8, 2019 11:19 PM

Feb 2015
Ventus_S said:
Crashmatt said:

It's not even Isseki though

It is isekai through and through...
I don't get how you can't see it's an isekai.
A bunch of high school students from Japan transfer to another world, how's it not isekai?

I missed that bit, where did it show them transporting from Japan? Did they just decide not to bother with that bit
Jul 8, 2019 11:22 PM
Apr 2019
Crashmatt said:
Ventus_S said:

A bunch of high school students from Japan transfer to another world, how's it not isekai?

I missed that bit, where did it show them transporting from Japan? Did they just decide not to bother with that bit

But the shitty anime skip those scenes in the LN. I'm very disappoint with how rushed and how bad the CGI are.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:28 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:26 PM
Apr 2019
tiwibo said:
elementex said:

Yeah, and so are Transformers every time Bay was making one of its films. Just go to LN or manga page and rate it 10 there instead of doing it here. In fact, I'll link it HERE

No thanks bra, my score will chill right where it is. If the anime doesn't impress me later on then I will adjust.
Jul 8, 2019 11:30 PM

Nov 2016
Man. This was sooo bad. I've been looking forward to this since I've read the manga and thought this could have potential to be one of the best shows this season if done right.
Well turns out they are rather trying to ruin it as much as they possibly can. Literally everything about this episode was garbage. The adaptation, the pacing, the directing, the animation, even the opening looked like trash.
It was so frustrating to see the entire character introduction and the MC's development being skipped. Then they just tried to squeeze the entire prologue into flashbacks, which was incredibly bad executed. It wasn't even explained that this was an Isekai. Feel bad for the Anime of onlies who are just thrown into the middle of the plot without receiving any explanation.
Now this will just go down as the trash of the season and eventually be forgotten.
Yikes. Well done for making this one of the worst adaptations I've ever witnessed
Jul 8, 2019 11:40 PM

Apr 2016
Veronin said:

They will tell you that source material is actually really good, just so you wait.
Jul 8, 2019 11:42 PM

Feb 2009
elementex said:
monolith said:

Ya, they could easily have made this a 48 min episode and that would have been enough to flesh things out a lot better. But I would think the anime will get better later on when they get down to the real story.

They want to reach the part when Kaori is reunited with Hajime, and is far away for a 13 episodes adaptation. But they could literally cut some fights here, some conversations there, and give this introduction at least a solid 20 minute, though this mini arc in the bottom of the Abyss, before he met Yue should have been at least 2 episodes long. They ruined everything. I will come back to watch it after it's finished to see if they mess it up even more, but this is already a trainwreck , and not a funny one.

They literally won the Guiness' World Record of ruining an adaptation in the shortest amount of time, 10 seconds.
Jul 8, 2019 11:43 PM
Dec 2015
Right now it looks like cheap hentai without hentai. Poor animation, bad CG. Story about Shield hero without shield and hero. That's too bad. At first Steins;Gate 0, then Goblin slayer, and now arifureta. White Fox, what are you doing?!
Jul 8, 2019 11:43 PM

Aug 2018
So im not into any isekais anime (im a romcom kinda guy) im just trying this anime out and also isekai cheat magician for 3 eps to see if its not generic and enjoyable

Soo the 1st ep was very underwhelming
So he gained power by eating monsters, the way they demonstrate it im like wtf also he got courage to fight couz hes hungry okay bud xD

So im still gonna watch it till ep 3 if theres no improvement or still find it unenjoyable imma drop it
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Jul 9, 2019 12:15 AM

Oct 2014
Good things: nothing.
Bad things: Why is everything so dark? I can't even see shit. ALso the MC's VA sucks.
Jul 9, 2019 12:20 AM
Feb 2009
pacing is pretty bad but it's isekai with cute girls I'll watch it lol
Jul 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Aug 2008
Well, that's some score. I don't usually pay attention to scores as much cuz people would score high bad shit, and low good shit, but I might on this one.
I really was surprised to see this anime was gonna air this season, cuz I knew of the LN, mostly because Takayaki was the artist of it, and got instantly hyped.
Takayaki's designs + Isekai + reputable studio? Hell yeah.

Too bad it didn't quite turn out decent enough though. Shame, I really wanted to pick this anime out.

I guess I'll wait to see a bit more down the line to see if people's perception change somewhat if it gets better.
Jul 9, 2019 12:25 AM

Aug 2013
I...honestly don't even feel impressed enough to check the original source. I really need to just avoid the isekai genre altogether unless someone like Gigguk sings its praises. Abort mission time. Only checked it out since I've seen the title dropped so much and White Fox was on the label.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 9, 2019 12:45 AM

Feb 2013
Crashmatt said:
Ventus_S said:

They literally skipped that part on the episode lol You see the level of rushed with that.
Jul 9, 2019 12:45 AM

Jul 2014
As a person who doesn't read the light novel i agree this first episode is a bit confusing, at first i thought it's just some fantasy anime but then i realize i read somewhere that this is an isekai anime since they really messed up the introduction, there is no proper explanation why he is in that world in first place, even i know that information by reading the synopsis of the anime, and the way he gets his power just shook my head.
The pacing is a mess and i feel they have no inspiration to do it for at least to make it leap out from mediocre level, at least from this episode only.
Well nonetheless i still find it quite enjoyable for a "presumably" trash anime and will watch the rest i guess.
Crocospect22Jul 9, 2019 12:58 AM
Jul 9, 2019 1:04 AM
Jan 2016
This hurt me physically and mentally to watch..dunno how I finished this episode
Jul 9, 2019 1:13 AM
Jun 2019
I'll come back again when it starts getting at least a little bit better and the reviews become more positive
The first episode was bad.
Jul 9, 2019 1:13 AM
Feb 2019
fuck white fox and ass read for making this absolute piece of shit. for fucks sake why didn't they just follow the light novel properly????? even though the source material isn't that great what they've done in this first episode has not fixed any issues at all; in fact, i'm pretty sure they only created problems

ALSO
Swagernator said:
Veronin said:

They will tell you that source material is actually really good, just so you wait.

no
maquiawaskinoJul 9, 2019 1:17 AM
Jul 9, 2019 1:46 AM
Jan 2018
Swagernator said:
Veronin said:

It's a series for chunnis . Not to be taken seriously
Jul 9, 2019 1:47 AM
Jan 2018
White fox arnt teaming up to do re:zero season 2 are they
Jul 9, 2019 1:53 AM
Feb 2017
elementex said:
Eugenefindit said:

Isekai cheat magician and 2 hit momma will be great isekai, and this one can definitely still get better.

Yeah. I hope this one gets better. The synopsis itself sounds the most fascinating and so many people were anticipating it so it really needs to.

Also, really? Isekai Cheat Magician? The most generic sounding of the lot will be a good one? Ok, I am still open for anything that happens so I hope you are right about this. 😁
Jul 9, 2019 2:27 AM
Jun 2019
Eugenefindit said:
elementex said:

Yeah. I hope this one gets better. The synopsis itself sounds the most fascinating and so many people were anticipating it so it really needs to.

Also, really? Isekai Cheat Magician? The most generic sounding of the lot will be a good one? Ok, I am still open for anything that happens so I hope you are right about this. 😁

Trust the guy who rated Kenja no Mago as the best isekai eva.
Jul 9, 2019 2:28 AM

Jan 2017
Was hoping that I would enjoy this episode but a couple things just felt off while I was watching it. It's starts with when Nagumo gets his arm cut off by the monster, the way he reacted in that situation felt weird. I'm not the biggest fan of the way the events were ordered in the episode and the pacing but since I'm an anime-only, I don't really have a proper point of reference for those things, just a gut feeling. Nagumo says during the episode that his classmates betrayed him but we don't really get to see how or why he was betrayed so his subsequent anger feels a little cheap and over-exaggerated. Hopefully the next couple episodes help alleviate some of my concerns.
Jul 9, 2019 2:39 AM
Feb 2017
tiwibo said:
Eugenefindit said:

Trust the guy who rated Kenja no Mago as the best isekai eva.

Ok, so the director did quite a few hentai before this...

That's one thing I was afraid about Kenja No Mago, the director. This... does not look good. 😁
Jul 9, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 2018
Mattinator95 said:

We don't even know if they will make season 2

If they will, then they will do it by themselves

And let me tell you this:
WF didn't team up with Asread to create this anime
Asread teamed up with WF so they have a chance of creating something not terrible
This is mostly Asread's project
Jul 9, 2019 3:00 AM

Jul 2017
:The manga / LN is better." TRY ECHOING THAT 1000 TIMES.

The pilot episode just lost all conscience: Story, Characters, Art/Animation, Sound. All at an abysmal LOW. And you don't need IQ/EQ to understand how BAD everything was.

Sooooo what's the delay for? At first, White Fox was supposed to air this last year, but complications handed the job over to Asread, and like their abominable fantasy show "Lord of Vermilion", add this one into the list too.

I already knew that with a great source to work on, it could have been great, but instead, it suffered tremendously.

Hi all! Let's welcome Arifureta as the worst show of the season! SOTS (Stinker of the Season)
Jul 9, 2019 3:05 AM
Jun 2014
Animation was was awful, all these cgi making me throw up again and edgy af
Jul 9, 2019 3:17 AM
Jan 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Mattinator95 said:

Asread teamed up with WF so they have a chance of creating something not terrible

Wouldn't see why white fox wouldn't do re zero they are doing the ovas etc
Jul 9, 2019 3:24 AM

Oct 2018
Mattinator95 said:
-Aincrad- said:

Wouldn't see why white fox wouldn't do re zero they are doing the ovas etc

You're right, they are most likely to do it, but we can't say it for sure until it's confirmed
Jul 9, 2019 3:27 AM
Mar 2019
-Aincrad- said:
Mattinator95 said:

It's actually the other way around, WF teamed up with Asread and from I heard is that they replaced some of the original staff that were working on it.
Jul 9, 2019 4:07 AM
Nov 2016
paveltk said:
First episode is kinda meh. This anime was my last hope for summer season, but it's trash. CGI is awful. OP and ED is bad. All hope is gone.

If this anime was your final hope for summer season? have you watched fire brigade? Vinland Saga? Dr. Stone?

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:21 AM
Jul 9, 2019 4:20 AM
Apr 2019
Normantas said:
paveltk said:
First episode is kinda meh. This anime was my last hope for summer season, but it's trash. CGI is awful. OP and ED is bad. All hope is gone.

If this anime was your final hope for summer season? have you watched fire brigade? Vinland Saga? Dr. Stone?

Fire Force and Dr. Stone are good, Vinland Saga is not for me. I was expecting Arifureta to be the best show of whole summer season, but unfortunately it fails with pretty much everything. Such a shame:-(

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2019

89 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.