Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2019 6:57 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The preair is online, about 23+ minutes long with both OP + ED theme song. OP song is catchy I guess but the opening few minutes gets pretty dark with the MC, Hajime.

A lot of action in the first episode and majority of the episode focused on the MC, Hajime. Some of his stats are also shown in this episode (which no doubt will develop over the course of the anime) Hajime also began using a gun as part of his weapon set.

Yue shows up at the end of the episode.
Stark700Jul 7, 2019 7:52 PM
Jul 8, 2019 8:36 AM

Feb 2019
They’re gonna have to cut out so many details from the LN if they plan to adapt up to volume 4.. also wish it was on CR instead of Hulu, that’s gonna kill its popularity, but it’s cool. I want it to stay kinda niche.

Also bro wtf is up with the OP? Song lit af but those visuals are subpar as hell. Oh well, still my anime of the season
Marinate1016Jul 8, 2019 8:40 AM
Jul 8, 2019 8:56 AM
Jun 2015
if we want to start from where hajime are in deep shit then don't make us to recall what happen before too much. if episode 1 didn't give too much recall what happen xx days before, i think i can watch it without skip it. not only that, that recall event waste 5 minutes after hajime in deep shit, then why they not make it in order since start? personally episode 1 is fail to be a beginning or prologue of this anime and i feel mysterious how can people give 5/5 to this episode despite have bad prologue? well i can guess why, it is because they feel happy to have their favorite wn adapted to anime with good studio
Jul 8, 2019 9:13 AM

Jul 2014
That was just... horrible directing, they start it off in the middle of his crisis and skipped a lot of the intro's and stuffs, jammed some past scenes in-between his present time state with bad pacing, I know skipping is a thing but you don't skip intro's to the character otherwise we wont know who's who to who and what purpose that character serves, there was literally no soul in this, and I was excited for this adaptation too as I've read the manga and quite liked the start, but I think I'm gonna have to skip this one, they dropped too much and the production of this series feels uninspired.
Drop.
Jul 8, 2019 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
So this episode focused a lot on the MC, Hajime.

Honestly, the first episode was impressive. Kinda disappointed.

Jul 8, 2019 9:23 AM
May 2016
-Stray said:
That was just... horrible directing, they start it off in the middle of his crisis and skipped a lot of the intro's and stuffs, jammed some past scenes in-between his present time state with bad pacing, I know skipping is a thing but you don't skip intro's to the character otherwise we wont know who's who to who and what purpose that character serves, there was literally no soul in this, and I was excited for this adaptation too as I've read the manga and quite liked the start, but I think I'm gonna have to skip this one, they dropped too much and the production of this series feels uninspired.
Drop.
I FEEL YOU SO MUCH, THEY CHANGED SO MANY THINGS. They didn't even show how he got in there! Now it just feels like another isekai with overpowered protagonist anime, I was hoping they at least didn't destroy with the first episode, everything I considered amazing from the novels....
Jul 8, 2019 9:27 AM

Apr 2016
And you telling me that this will get even more edgy ? I don't believe you.
Jul 8, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2007
Really looked forward to this, but after watching the first ep, I'm not sure if I'm that excited for it anymore actually.
I love the design of the characters, but the way this episode was directed was pretty irritating. I know the official source luckily so I wasn't lost, but yeah...
Also what's up with the underwhelming opening animation, I mean the song is awesome, but the animation is so boring to go with it.
Jul 8, 2019 9:32 AM

Sep 2017
I think the OP animation (or the lack of) is pretty indicative of the production value of this show: it's horse shit.

The opening fight is full of bad animation and bad storyboarding. Substituting special effects for actually animating the action. Absolutely horrendous CG monster.

I dropped it half way through.
Jul 8, 2019 9:32 AM

Nov 2016
I couldn't care less about Kaneki the MC.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Mar 2018
I won't lie, the animation was horrible, the first half was horrible and the edginess of the second half is something to laugh about,

but I just can't hate it. It's so dumb and endgy that I like it. Also the OST is pretty good, even if it feels out of place sometimes.
Jul 8, 2019 9:41 AM
Apr 2019
First episode is kinda meh. This anime was my last hope for summer season, but it's trash. CGI is awful. OP and ED is bad. All hope is gone.

Mod edit: Removed where to watch website.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:44 AM
Jul 8, 2019 9:50 AM
May 2011
Wow that was the most chaotic and rushed adaptation I have ever seen, good job.
Half an Arc in one episode, if you didnt read manga or novel you would be confused by everything.
The episode was like, here is abyss, we have stats, I fell and created a oversized revolver out of some random rocks.
Jul 8, 2019 9:55 AM

Jan 2018
I don't think this can be even considered as an "isekai" after watching it. for some reason, I believed it was an isekai lmao

edit: I just resd the manga and IT IS AN ISEKAI WHAT?!?! HOW COME THEY DIDN’T SHOW IT HERE? are they following the light novel AGAIN? ohohoh this gonna be hard to understand
rikunandakedoJul 8, 2019 10:02 AM
Jul 8, 2019 9:56 AM
Nov 2018
I read the manga, and I don't know what to think of this first episode.

But fuck is that OST great.
Jul 8, 2019 9:58 AM

Apr 2008
Well, shit. I am kinda curious what people who are not familiar with the franchise think of this episode so far.

P.S. IT IS NOT PURPLE, NOT PURPLE, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RED!
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Jul 8, 2019 9:59 AM

Aug 2012
Very good episode. One think I do not get though: why didn't the holy water regenerate his arm? Does anyone know?

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:42 AM

Aug 2017
We have a winner for the most chaotic first episode of this season...

Jul 2012
I am not familiar in the slightest with source and I still felt it was rushed. Synopsis actually explained more than this whole episode.

But I don't mind if they save some time by rushing the beginning if they can adapt the rest a bit better. Let's hope.

MC seems like a classic, edgy antihero. Certainly makes this at least a bit more interesting.

That being said animation and character design... seem mediocre at best. Well, the time will tell how it turns out.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2019 10:02 AM

Dec 2017
Great, I didn't think they could make already weak source worse, but that CGI, that flashbacks, that MC face and voice - I hate it all and I feel good while doing so.
Jul 8, 2019 10:04 AM

Apr 2019
Sigh. I expected more from Whitefox. I liked Re:Zero so i hoped this would be a good Successor.
I personally really did not like it, not in any way.
I couldn't find anything positive , the whole Script was off putting.
Doesn't really matter how good the Plot is, i already jumped off the Ship.
Also i do not like the MC and his VA.
And the CGI was horrible to say the least.
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 8, 2019 10:06 AM

Jan 2017
What did i just watch? Also, that cgi is awful.
“A detective who corners a culprit with their reasoning and drives them to suicide in front of himself – is no different than a murderer.”
– Shinichi Kudo
Jul 8, 2019 10:06 AM
May 2011
HDVision said:
I am not familiar in the slightest with source and I still felt it was rushed. Synopsis actually explained more than this whole episode.

But I don't mind if they save some time by rushing the beginning if they can adapt the rest a bit better. Let's hope.

MC seems like a classic, edgy antihero. Certainly makes this at least a bit more interesting.

That being said animation and character design... seem mediocre at best. Well, the time will tell how it turns out.

The problem is in general that 1st arc of Arifureta was great and it is changed and is going to be skipped in 1-2 episodes.
The longer it goes the worse it is, wasted potential of pretty neat Isekai novel.
Jul 8, 2019 10:08 AM
Apr 2015
They absolutely rushed and butchered the hell out of light novel, and after the trainwreck that was the first visual released a year ago, and the staff being changed due to fan backlash, we still get this...

I am disappointed.
Jul 8, 2019 10:10 AM

Aug 2016
I already kind of expecting it the moment the length of the episode was 24 minutes. For first episode they really should have made it 48 minutes just like shield hero, re zero, or SAO alicization. Or they could also make episode 0 instead of pulling something like this.

And the reason they were rushing like this, I assumed it was to reach the end of LN volume 4 by episode 13. Why don't they just make it 2 cour instead? Seriously....

The thing I'm pissed off the most with this episode was the fact they didn't show Hajime lecturing that hero-wannabe and saving Yuuka! He's already badass even before transforming and they did not show that aspect of him that much because of the nonsense pacing. They also did not describe how bullied he was from being the weakest and have Kaori's attention, why? The prologue was done really bad even the manga was still better in this aspect damn it.

Well all in all I like the character design and art although because the pacing was too rushed the battle animation was off I hope starting episode 2 they would slow down a bit and appealed Hajime's action more. Arifureta was really good at battle scene in novel for my opinion after all.

I think I won't score the series until I've seen 3/4 episodes....
whiters99Jul 8, 2019 10:27 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2019 10:12 AM

Feb 2011
In this instance I'm glad they flashed through the introduction part, but too much skipping is bad, so hope they do a proper intro either next episode or third.

Jul 2015
Jesus Christ! This anime is competing with Maou sama Retry as the dumpster fire of the season.

The writing of this episode is a complete mess! Flashbacks are used to an extreme that made the whole thing a complete nonsense!

Pass
Jan 2018
Here's a tip don't take this series seriously this basically the writers chunni fantasy
Jul 8, 2019 10:13 AM

Jul 2012
Swietek said:
HDVision said:

The problem is in general that 1st arc of Arifureta was great and it is changed and is going to be skipped in 1-2 episodes.
The longer it goes the worse it is, wasted potential of pretty neat Isekai novel.

I wonder why they are rushing this, it's not like source material is complete, right? I hope it will be at least a pleasant watch, I don't think anyone expects anything great from isekai genre at this point.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2019 10:15 AM
Sep 2016
I read the first chapter of the LN, got the point...generic isekai oh everyone's a meanie become badass blah blah blah

So let's talk about the only thing of substance this anime could ever have possibly had.. THE FREAKING OP (and ed) .. VOID_CHORDS IS AN AWESOME COMPOSER. GET THEM ON MORE ANIME PLEEEAAASSE. THE SONG WITH LIO IS LIIIIIT
1.1.Six
Jul 8, 2019 10:16 AM
Apr 2015
HDVision said:
Swietek said:

I wonder why they are rushing this, it's not like source material is complete, right? I hope it will be at least a pleasant watch, I don't think anyone expects anything great from isekai genre at this point.

I think they just want to get to volume 4, as for the source material it's still ongoing with 10 volumes, they could have easily done 24 episodes, but considering the animation quality it's clear they can't handle that.
Jul 8, 2019 10:17 AM

Apr 2008
HDVision said:
Swietek said:

Because they don't have balls to take risks.
They believe that if they don't go into action right away and spend an episode building up, the viewers will drop it.
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Jul 8, 2019 10:18 AM
May 2011
HDVision said:

Might be a bad decision about 13 episode count or just fund... probably just wrong choices.
Jul 8, 2019 10:19 AM

Jun 2010
the beginning of the episode was confusing, but then it became interesting.
Jul 8, 2019 10:24 AM
Jan 2018
This episode should have been the mc with his class getting iskeied and setting up the world and introducing characters and explaing his class etc and the ending should have been him falling into the cave .

It completely cuts out the summoning and just shoves you straight into the cave without any buildup . Wouldnt be surprised if people are confused as why he's going demented / crazy in the cave
Mattinator95Jul 8, 2019 10:28 AM
Jul 8, 2019 10:27 AM

Oct 2018
Nim0174 said:
Sigh. I expected more from Whitefox. I liked Re:Zero so i hoped this would be a good Successor.

White Fox might have a minor part in it
It's a collaboration with Asread, so maybe it's like 80% Asread and just 20% White Fox, or so

WF is not a studio that would need the help of another one, so it's probably mostly Asread's project
-Aincrad-Jul 8, 2019 10:54 AM
Jul 8, 2019 10:39 AM

Jun 2014
That was terrible. Such a convoluted clusterfuck of an episode, it was all over the place. Production values were bad, I guess delaying the anime for over a year didn't help much. Not to mention the dialogue and the characters were atrocious. I know this is just another forgettable isekai light novel edgy trashy shitshow, but man this first episode was a disaster.

Dropped. 1/10

This is one of the worst first anime episodes I have ever seen.
alpha_shadowJul 8, 2019 11:19 AM
:3
Jul 8, 2019 10:41 AM

Apr 2019
-Aincrad- said:
Nim0174 said:

WhiteFox might have a minor part in it
It's a collaboration with Asread, so maybe it's like 80% Asread and just 20% WhiteFox, or so

oh yeah that actually makes sense ..
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 8, 2019 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
that was.. pretty bad adaptation..
either the va or just the pacing kinda awkward
weird this came out from white fox
Jul 8, 2019 10:49 AM

Oct 2014
*sigh* way to ruin good source material v.v

I'm a pretty tolerant person when it comes to adaptation but... they really just did whatever they wanted with this and made it barely recognisable from the original... (I actually had a mental thought that perhaps the people in charge were trying to bank on the shield hero revenge story? because they made it way more serious than the actual event was... they also cut out all of the mc's actual struggle so it feels like he just suddenly went from "wimp" to "cool" with tha snap of some fingers...)

I was looking forward to this adaptation because this is one of the few isekai I have gotten really into while having a power-charged mc, but this is not what I read v.v.

Giving it 2 more episodes for redemption but it looks like I may actually have to drop this like I had to drop UQ holder because of the awful low effort adaptation : /.

Ah well, if everything was good then we would be hard pressed of appreciating the ones who put in true effort I suppose.
KorudoKunJul 8, 2019 10:52 AM

Jul 8, 2019 10:50 AM

Jun 2014
Vanschia said:
that was.. pretty bad adaptation..
either the va or just the pacing kinda awkward
weird this came out from white fox

The adaptation was supposed to air over a year ago but the production was in such a bad state that it got delayed. In the process, the staff completely changed and Asread joined the production when initially it was a White Fox only anime.
:3
Jul 8, 2019 10:54 AM

Oct 2017
A pretty decent start but most of this episode felt rushed and from some of the comments it looks like Im right and they skipped a lot on this first episode and rushed through it.O well i liked the mc , he's gonna be fun to watch.
Jul 8, 2019 10:54 AM

Feb 2016
After all that wait all we get is a rushed episode with a LOT of details skipped.

Well at least the is fine and the OP was lit too. I wish that they don't rush the rest just to adapt 4-5 volumes of the LN
Jul 8, 2019 10:55 AM

Jun 2009
Wow. It was so rushed and so bad. All my expectations flew away. Meh and the first arc was so good in LN
Jul 8, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2016
This could have been a good isekai despite being somewhat generic, but man... they butchered the hell out of it.
They skipped the intro and added flashbacks, bad cgi, bad animation in some places and the writing makes the story even more confusing to people who haven't looked into the LN or Manga. This feels like opm s2 all over again... and the only good thing is the ost, op and ed.
LazyChaserJul 8, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:00 AM
Jun 2016
The music is good, but I really despise the sequence of events and how the first episode just miss many story elements from both the light novel and manga. The way the episode is laid out just feels unnatural having to be in the present then flashback. In my opinion (remember this my opinion you can argue if u want but idc) the episode should just start off with an intro of the past, how they got there, relationships and up to the point where he falls off. Then episode 2 can lead to most of everything that happened in this episode. This episode is just disappointing when you look at the other animes the studios have produced. Hope that the other episodes improve this anime cause I had high hopes.
Jul 8, 2019 11:06 AM

Aug 2018
Fuaaaa, but what a damn disappointment.
I read about 15 chapters of the manga, so I knew what happened, but those who should not be too confused.
Practically do not explain anything, we just know the name of the mc. The designs are normal, the animation is low and the CGI monsters are terrible.
It was not worth waiting a year If I find it very bad, I do not want to imagine what the fans of the light novel think.
Too many cuts, the only redeemable is the ost.
Jul 8, 2019 11:14 AM

Sep 2009
This gotta be a bad joke, the production value was so damn low.

They went full retard with the flashbacks instead of following the chronological order. Skipping multiple part of the story building.

That scene when he shoot the bear, just wtf.

Jul 8, 2019 11:15 AM

Aug 2016
What the hell White fox and areased was thinking when they adopted this!!! Arifureta is actually a pretty good novel which I can recommend to read, but it turned into a trashy show with the wrost pacing I've ever seen! The CGI is terrible that even the one in goblin slayer was better! Oh god I kept my hopes down and prepared for the worst but not for THIS!!!!
Jul 8, 2019 11:19 AM

Mar 2016
That was probably one of the WORST first anime episodes I've ever watched in my life
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2019

89 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.