Forum Settings
Forums

Will an anime ever be as respected as classic film/literature?

New
Do you think an anime will ever be respected as classic film/literature?
Jun 25, 2019 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
You hear a lot about classic literature like Shakespeare, and classic films like the Godfather. Which makes me question: do you think there will ever be an anime that will be as respected as classic films and literature as those?
I predict it will. Anime is becoming more of a global phenomenon. At some point, it will HAVE to be as respected in the same regard as film and literature is, which will lead to certain anime (hopefully Monster) be hailed as classics in the same vein as Shakespeare and Godfather.
Jun 25, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2013
Probably as likely as that happening to comic books and superhero movies, by which I mean not very. Not that this bothers me much.
Jun 25, 2019 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
Depends on how you define respected.

For example if the question is will an anime receive as many accolades or awards as say The Godfather then the answer is iffy but likely no.

But for an alternate example if you're referencing how The Godfather is respected as the classic shaping of the Gangster genre then yes there will be anime viewed as classics. In which case an obvious anime example would be something like Gundam.
Jun 25, 2019 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
times change so ye high chance it could happen, look at superhero movies right now finally being part of the Academy Awards too
Jun 25, 2019 11:00 PM

Feb 2013
kids in 2119 will learn at school about animation classics like franxx and miru tighs
Jun 25, 2019 11:02 PM

Jan 2016
Mostly anime films are respected already. Akira and Miyazaki films for instance.
Jun 25, 2019 11:39 PM

Feb 2016
Definitely in the future as anime community becomes bigger but like Cap said, there already are! Just not on the scale of say Shakespeare. Since he's taught in history books and all.
romagia said:
kids in 2119 will learn at school about animation classics like franxx and miru tighs
lucky fucking kids
CapitalistGod said:
Mostly anime films are respected already. Akira and Miyazaki films for instance.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 26, 2019 2:45 AM

Mar 2015
I can see some films/shows might become respected, but anime as a whole? yeah, no, not with all the shit that gets produced every season
Jun 26, 2019 2:54 AM

Mar 2008
I don't think anime would be viewed in it's own light but among animation in general. This most likely would occur with an anime film or perhaps a particularly iconic series.
Jun 26, 2019 3:27 AM

Sep 2017
Animation - it already is respected.
Otaku culture - probably not, because it is the very identity of the taste of the otaku culture is maintained through its inability to be integrated into the mainstream society.

An advice for anyone who is obsessed with getting cultural recognition: read, read and read. You will never be able to convince people who are well-versed in film and literature if you can't write anime criticism with a sophistication that is comparable to theirs.
Jun 26, 2019 3:28 AM

Sep 2017
traed said:
I don't think anime would be viewed in it's own light but among animation in general. This most likely would occur with an anime film or perhaps a particularly iconic series.

Off topic but hey a nice signature you got.
Jun 26, 2019 3:30 AM

Jul 2016
No, not really. Anime is still viewed as a degenerate thing to like, not that I care what other people think about my favorites.
Jun 26, 2019 3:32 AM

Jan 2009
anime films are often nominated on the Academy Awards this days too so its just a matter of when will be the first anime film that will have that global award
Jun 26, 2019 3:38 AM

May 2018
Nope though there might be some anime that are exception.
Jun 26, 2019 4:46 AM

Apr 2012
Doubt it. That kind of cultural position requires the appreciation of old people with no imagination, and people without an imagination just don't take animation seriously enough. Which is a shame, because in terms of actual artistic merit, the likes of Evangelion and Utena are leagues ahead of things like The Godfather.
Jun 26, 2019 4:57 AM

Dec 2014
Anime and respect are two words that do not belong in the same sentence unless it is talking about how they have nothing to do with each other. Watch your cartoons and move on.

For real though animation already has the stigma of not being considered a very serious medium to contend with, even "adult" animation is usually comedic and the few attempts to deal with more serious issues are either looked on as novelties, praised for a while and then forgotten about.

This is all without adding in the "oh those weird cartoons" mentality directed at anime by people unfamiliar with it. So no I don't see anime gaining that much regard from a mainstream audience, maybe among people already involved with it and even then when have you seen a show that popular without polarising opinions from viewers?

Tl;dr:No,anime will never reach that level because people don't take animation seriously enough.
Jun 26, 2019 5:10 AM

Nov 2011
CapitalistGod said:

This.. It's not like there are many live action movies respected more than like of Spirited Away, Akira and maybe Ghost in the Shell ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 26, 2019 5:13 AM

May 2018
"Will an anime ever be as respected as classic film/literature?"
But nowadays classic movies and classic literature are no longer respected.
So yeah anime will be disrespected in the same way.
Jun 26, 2019 5:14 AM

Dec 2016
i mean studio ghibli's pretty respected worldwide, so, if anything, it'd be one of their films. i doubt any series would become as respected as western classics, but a film might manage it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jun 26, 2019 5:15 AM

Oct 2017
Strange that so many people said no. Of course it will. Historic art always ends up romanticized.

I don't want it to happen. But... Look, we're living in an amazing time when there is this rich, uber-expressive medium that is untainted by big money mainstream influences. I genuinely think anime and manga are among the purest, most authentic forms of artisitc expression in human history.

And it's because we live in a time of abundance that is also transitionary. We are in the middle of globalization. Everything hasn't become completely globalized and homogenized yet so there are still these subcultures that exist but they also have a wide reach. Eventually, big money will start to see anime as the next big money spinner and they will do to anime what they did to gaming.

There are two layers of art. There is the watered-down and artistically barren mainstream that appeals to the lowest common denominator and is only concerned with fame and money. But there is also that underbelly of subculture. Subculture is where innovation happens, it's where you find the free thinkers who go against the grain and the artists who make art for art's sake and not for fame or money. This underbelly, has existed for a long time but never before in human history has it been possible for so many to create so much. One doesn't need insane amounts of money or fame to produce a manga and to put it out there, get recognized and potentially get an anime made where you get to see this pure artistic vision put in to motion and given a voice.

Of course, manga will remain a source of great subcultural art for it's ease of production. But anime... while it has a certain ease of production, it used to benefit from being 'local' and not having too many eyes on it. As it becomes more global it will be engulfed by a normification of sorts. There will still be interesting anime made, just like there are interesting western movies made. But the low-budget western movie scene is a walking corpse at this point and low-budget anime may go the same way.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 26, 2019 5:18 AM

Oct 2017
alshu said:
"Will an anime ever be as respected as classic film/literature?"
But nowadays classic movies and classic literature are no longer respected.
So yeah anime will be disrespected in the same way.

This is actually a really good point and made me rethink my last comment. There does seem to be a shift away from romanticizing historical art, for better or for worse.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 26, 2019 5:28 AM

Dec 2015
First, movies were never respected as equals to classic litterature. It is not culture with a big C and art, it is still seen as a subculture (as in "the everyman's culture) and commercial product by any peoples.
And as far as I recall, never did I see zny kind of disrespect for Snow White. On the contrary...
Second, "Classic movies" is, nowadays, a label including anything and everything, depending only on the person speaking.
Thirdly, if you are talking about the average population, the average "joe" has rarely particular respect for mass consumption products nor for art, no matter if it is a book or a video. Not that he doesn't have any interest in it, but it doesn't go beyond that. And if I stop on the current new generation, even the interest part vanishes as soon as you go back a few years: either they just don't mind them, or ignore them actively, or dislike/refuse them !

logopolis said:
Evangelion and Utena are leagues ahead of things like The Godfather.

What about comparing them to Metropolis or Citizen Kane now?

@YossaRedMage Do you really think there is such a thing as "a jap.anime community"?

edit @Optigisa , answering your private message since you filter everything:
"Free", I guess, now that the year is over. What about you?

I won't report this person: he simply came back later to a subject to add something and didn't take the time to edit his post. Most users use MAL like this, I can't blame him/her.
Rei_IIIJun 26, 2019 5:50 AM
Jun 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Oct 2017
Sorry for spam as this is the third comment in this thread in quick succession, but I really want to emphasize something:

You shouldn't want anime to be recognized by the mainstream!

It would be bad for the artform. Furthermore, I get the impression many anime fans have a childish need for validation from society. The only thing we should care about is how anime is respected within the community. You will never get everyone in society at large to agree with your hobbies. And if you do... You are a sheep and you've fundamentally failed at life in my opinion. Only the most boring people's hobbies and tastes fully line up with social norms.

The desire for one's hobbies to be more socially popular is incredibly misguided. There is far more value in a small group of like-minded people who come together precisely because they are a small group that is different from the norm. Again, the only kind of respect for anime I care about is the respect within the community. That's why I hate the 'anime is trash and so am I' stuff or self-hating weebs who denigrate themselves.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Aug 2018
photophobic said:
i mean studio ghibli's pretty respected worldwide, so, if anything, it'd be one of their films. i doubt any series would become as respected as western classics, but a film might manage it.
photophobic said:

Totally agree, but i think for nerds in general (not otaku), stuff like Evangelion, Code Geass or Cowboy Bebop is already respected by many.

The main problem is defining what is "classic", it depends on the person and on the genre/category you want to talk about.
Jun 26, 2019 5:52 AM

Apr 2012
Rei366 said:
logopolis said:
Evangelion and Utena are leagues ahead of things like The Godfather.

What about comparing them to Metropolis or Citizen Kane now?

Same result, maybe just a little less dramatically so. It's decades since I saw Metropolis and I barely remember anything about it, but to take Citizen Kane, it's mostly notable as a pioneer of cinematic techniques from the early years of the medium. Which is important historically, but less so from a modern point of view now much of that is commonplace.

Live-action film has some inherent, large limitations when comparing with the best of TV anime; live-action as a format is far less flexible, and films only get one sitting's worth of viewer attention, whilst a television serial can deliver more stuff in shorter chunks (which means more intense viewer concentration) and whilst giving viewers plenty of time to think about what they've seen and digest it between each one.

But in this specific comparison, Evangelion and Utena are very much about the victims of the world, while Citizen Kane thinks it's a newspaper mogul who is most interesting, so what Citizen Kane is doing is far less important too. Rich people are already ludicrously over-exposed.
Jun 26, 2019 5:53 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
anime films are often nominated on the Academy Awards this days too so its just a matter of when will be the first anime film that will have that global award
If I'm not mistaken, Spirited Away not only got nominated but actually won an Oscar.

Imo, anime is already respected as well as classic literature or film by the fans and probably anime critics as well. The reason why it's not popular is more due to access than quality. Anime is just not as easily accessible across the world as Shakespeare, the Godfather or Disney stuff, and hence not nearly as popular. Comic books were in the same boat before the MCU.

To be honest, I agree with @YossaRedMage. I don't want anime to become that popular because I don't want it to stop experimenting.
Jun 26, 2019 5:54 AM

Dec 2016
For anime (as a general art form) to be respected by western cannon, three things are needed.

First, television series would need to be respected. This shouldn't be too hard, and is already kind of happening.

Second, animation would need to be respected. This would be difficult, especially considering the general attitude of "cartoons are for children" present within the majority of the population. It also doesn't help that a lot of popular cartoons for adults in the west are based on "subverting" that attitude by deliberately filling them with superficial sex, violence and coarse language (stuff like Family Guy and South Park). Honestly, I don't see animation being respected in my lifetime.

Third, westerners need to watch more foreign stuff. When foreign media becomes something more normalised and accepted, it will start to be respected. For example, take a look at the recent Scandi Noir craze. Whether anime will be able to make this entry is questionable.

Ultimately, I believe that it could happen, but if it does it won't be any time soon.
Joe_Bloggs402Jun 26, 2019 5:59 AM
I have no taste.
Jun 26, 2019 6:00 AM

Jan 2009
operationvalkyri said:
deg said:
If I'm not mistaken, Spirited Away not only got nominated but actually won an Oscar.

i googled it just now and ye youre right

It won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature at the 75th Academy Awards,[14] making it the first (and so far only) hand-drawn and non-English-language animated film to win that award.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirited_Away
Jun 26, 2019 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
Battle Angel was finally adapted, so this demonstrates something.
Jun 26, 2019 8:04 AM

Apr 2019
The problem is that the anime community doesnt take anime seriously, you just have to take a look at MAL favorites/higher rated/higher popularity, but its even worse in Japan.

Jun 26, 2019 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
Perhaps. But sadly not in my lifetime.
Jun 26, 2019 9:25 AM

Nov 2017
Well, as has already been said, many anime films already are respected as much classic film. In fact, they are classic films. Ghost in the Shell comes up often when people talk about cyberpunk or science fiction, and Spirited Away won an Oscar, as was already said. As for TV-series, it has taken a long time for them to be respected as an art form in general, and even then I'd say at least Evangelion is getting some recognition in the west.

Besides, it's not like Japanese literature or live action cinema are all that well known in the west either.
Jun 26, 2019 9:43 AM

May 2009
Yes, as its fanbase ages.

Unfortunately, this probably just means that people are going to keep on harping about Cowboy Bebop &co. as being the greatest anime series ever.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 26, 2019 9:46 AM

Feb 2015
Have you ever seen Miru Thighs? It's as closest thing you can get from Shakespearean play.

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

21 by DigiCat »»
15 seconds ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

46 by MogKnight »»
3 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

41 by Eziprez »»
5 minutes ago

» So is Shin-Chan actually G rated and the Funimation Dub was like Ghost Stories or is it Adult in nature like Oruchuban Ebichu

vasipi4946 - 9 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

15 by MogKnight »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.