Forum Settings
Forums

Tropes that you want to see more of in anime

New
Jun 19, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2013
I'll start us off.

I want more series with characters that start off without knowing their direction in life and gain a passion that they then thrive on. Anime in the vein of series like Beck, Baby Steps and Tsuritama. I guess this could be categorized as coming of age series to an extent.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 19, 2019 9:53 PM

Oct 2017
Tsunderes seem to be dying out. I want more of them! There hasn't been a good tsundere in so long.
Jun 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Mar 2012
Time related power(time travel, time loop, slowing time etc).
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 19, 2019 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
1) I want to see more smart MCs because I'm a fucking idiot

2) I want to see more, "MC goes berserk and kills everything". It was badass in Naruto, it's still badass today.

3) More fights where the fighters are trying to outwit each other instead of just overpowering each other. Jojo is the master of this.

4) More mature, sexy, "ara ara" girls but I also want them as main love interests: not just side characters.

emailfraud said:
Tsunderes seem to be dying out. I want more of them! There hasn't been a good tsundere in so long.

Fuck tsunderes. I'm glad there's less of them now. They're loud, obnoxious, abusive, submissive. What's likeable about them?
Jun 19, 2019 10:08 PM

Jun 2012
Battle of wits are always fun to watch. Something gambling related would be cool.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 19, 2019 10:35 PM

Mar 2019
Holybaptiser said:
Battle of wits are always fun to watch. Something gambling related would be cool.

You would like Kakegurui. Its all about gambling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2019 10:49 PM

Jan 2018
Alpha males like in my favorites tired of those fucking romance mc whose dick won't even twitch while seeing women naked I mean c' mon dude.

Violent tsundere bitches should die can't just stand them.

I would love to see sub women they are my fetish.

There should be actually killing in anime where mc kills his enemies.
Jun 19, 2019 11:17 PM

Apr 2018
Violent tsundere bitches

That's about it.
Jun 19, 2019 11:37 PM

Oct 2017
L0NES0ME said:
Violent tsundere bitches

That's about it.

Great minds think alike. Tsunderes need to make a comeback.
Jun 19, 2019 11:53 PM

Jul 2013
Another trope that i'd like to see more of is shared universes. Basically I want more anime with a scale that allows for different settings in anime to collide under the same universe. I'd especially enjoy more collaboration/crossover between these series, like Type-moon, Gundam and Macross.

I feel that anime is an almost perfect medium for this kind of thing, as there is none of the physical costs/difficulties that would be required if doing it non-animation.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 19, 2019 11:59 PM
Feb 2016
I want see something like pure fantasy like Made in Abyss, Lord of the Rings. Grand scale of storyline, deep lore, each races had their own culture. Bring back pure fantasy, dude. Isekai is trash
Jun 20, 2019 12:04 AM

Oct 2017
HopefulNihilist said:

emailfraud said:

Fuck tsunderes. I'm glad there's less of them now. They're loud, obnoxious, abusive, submissive. What's likeable about them?

I personally really love tsunderes who use their harshness as a defense mechanism. It adds depth and gives room for character development. The trope can be used to show a grow in comfort or maturity and stuff if written correctly.

I'm a little biased, though, because I feel that I can relate to tsunderes the most out of any trope. It's nice to see that there's characters who also use harshness as a way to protect themselves from embarrassment or being picked on.

Some people argue that tsunderes are selfish or abusive, but those people fail to realize that it's anime we're watching. Everything is exaggerated. So, yeah. Basically, tsunderes are cool.
hypercorruptionJun 20, 2019 12:21 AM
Jun 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
AgateRizuki said:
I want see something like pure fantasy like Made in Abyss, Lord of the Rings. Grand scale of storyline, deep lore, each races had their own culture. Bring back pure fantasy, dude. Isekai is trash
I think you would like Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Souja Erin.
Jun 20, 2019 12:41 AM

May 2018
And I want more space opera, sci-fi and sci-fi tropes.

Lately they are making sci-fi look more present day: same living and working places, same clothes, same hairdos, same social behaviour...it's literally present day with some mild cosmetic changes.
This is lazy worldbuilding.
I want more futuristic looking and better researched and developed sci-fi shows.
Jun 20, 2019 1:57 AM
Oct 2016
emailfraud said:

I believe the main reason as to why there is a lack of "good tsunderes" is simply because the anime and manga industry keeps dishing out one mediocre cookie-cutter tsundere after the other. At this point, tsunderes aren't really so much as characters as they're just simply there because the author/director wants a tsundere in their story. Nowadays it matters not whether the Tsundere actually has a personality of their own. All that counts is that they call the MC a "baka" at least 20 times every episode
Jun 20, 2019 2:15 AM
May 2019
Honestly, there aren't that many Yandere's anymore. Characters like Yuno Gasai sparked the entire attraction to the archetype, yet the only other Yandere I can really think of is from Shimoneta. I see people reaching to call other characters yandere, but mostly they only have one or two yandere moments and are normal otherwise
RenSarazakiJun 20, 2019 2:22 AM
Jun 20, 2019 2:21 AM
Mar 2018
alshu said:
And I want more space opera, sci-fi and sci-fi tropes.

Lately they are making sci-fi look more present day: same living and working places, same clothes, same hairdos, same social behaviour...it's literally present day with some mild cosmetic changes.
This is lazy worldbuilding.
I want more futuristic looking and better researched and developed sci-fi shows.

^this

And I'm not saying I want more AoT but I'd want more like AoT - morally grey characters, using historical settings that aren't for complete fantasy, something that blends together fantasy and a bit of sci fi like Claymore and AoT have
Jun 20, 2019 2:24 AM

Apr 2019
I want more animes with "chosen one" in them but with good writing.
Jun 20, 2019 3:43 AM

Sep 2018
Someone that actually likes women rather than scream and runs away as soon as any female shows a bit of skin or comes onto them.

Laddish comedy, we have lots of female comedy which is great but I want more like Grand Blue which is aimed at adults matching my experiences with women, being drunk and stitching each other up.
Jun 20, 2019 3:56 AM
Feb 2016
BlancaXLobo said:
AgateRizuki said:
I think you would like Juuni Kokuki, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Souja Erin.

Yeah, something like that but with more fantasy touch. I remember when read Nature Prophet's lore from Dota 2. It's short but amazing
Jun 20, 2019 4:24 AM
Dec 2017
Definitely, want more post-apocalyptic animes.
Or just hella modern depictions of the world.
Just want to see anime's interpretations of a futuristic society.

Also would like some growing of age stories.
Those stories are always somewhat emotional for me
Lite720Jun 20, 2019 4:28 AM
Jun 20, 2019 8:12 AM

Dec 2017
Gender equality trope where MC slaps tsundere bitches

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 20, 2019 8:29 AM

Jul 2016
The delinquent trope. Like those guys with the ridiculous pompadour hairstyle.
Jun 20, 2019 8:39 AM

Apr 2017
I want more of the trope of having complex narrative and characters, also awesome concepts.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 20, 2019 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
emailfraud said:

I personally really love tsunderes who use their harshness as a defense mechanism. It adds depth and gives room for character development. The trope can be used to show a grow in comfort or maturity and stuff if written correctly.

That's true. If done well, tsunderes can have a lot of depth. Rin from Fate/Stay Night is a great example. However, 99% of tsunderes I've seen are just tsunderes for the sake of being tsunderes; there's no justification for why they act the way they do. Going back to Rin, the reason she's a tsundere, is because she grew up always having to train herself to be cold towards others.

emailfraud said:
I'm a little biased, though, because I feel that I can relate to tsunderes the most out of any trope. It's nice to see that there's characters who also use harshness as a way to protect themselves from embarrassment or being picked on.

If that's true, then I think you need help.

emailfraud said:
Some people argue that tsunderes are selfish or abusive, but those people fail to realize that it's anime we're watching. Everything is exaggerated. So, yeah. Basically, tsunderes are cool.

Yeah, everything is exaggerated, but there comes a point when it just becomes obnoxious (ie characters screaming over the smallest things). I like anime characters who are down-to-Earth.

thevagus said:
Gender equality trope where MC slaps tsundere bitches

Kazuma from Konosuba doesn't exactly slap anyone, but he is willing to.
Jun 20, 2019 8:43 AM

Oct 2017
Fan service done with style. Most shows use over-the-top sexuality as a constant comedic element, or a one-off comedic moment or episode. And then a lot of shows just don't use it at all. I want more stuff like Monogatari where sexuality is consistent element that adds sensuality to the asthetic in a story that takes itself and it's characters seriously.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 20, 2019 8:49 AM

Dec 2018
I want to see more Shonen style stories with cute female MCs, Like Kill la Kill. that would be pretty sweet. Battle Magical Girl shows are the closest thing I've found
Jun 20, 2019 8:53 AM

Sep 2018
I find time loops to be interesting generally.
Jun 20, 2019 8:53 AM
Aug 2018
I want more shows with really smart and badass antagonist.

And long running series.

And sports.

And more yaoi.
Jun 20, 2019 8:54 AM

Oct 2017
To weigh in on the whole tsundere thing, I think the trope is done badly a lot because the 'dere' part isn't emphasized enough. It's a tsundere because the 'tsun' is just a defense mechanism to hide there true 'dere' side. The example of Rin from Fate is a pretty good one but my favourite is Senjougahara from Monogatari because she actually really develops over time until her tsun side is greatly toned down in the later parts of the story.

And @HopefulNihilist, @emailfraud doesn't need help lol. That's a pretty ignorant statement. Being cold to others as a defense mechanism is extremely common to almost all people. That's where the whole thing about guys and girls verbally fighting with each other in a certain way making them look like a couple comes from. "We hurt the ones we like" - or something like that, right? I think that's the quote.

I think that is part of the reason the tsundere trope is so popular, people instinctively know there is a lot of realism to it.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 20, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
I agree with a lot of the aforementioned, especially with having more alpha MC's and MC's not being afraid to kill/hurt (like juicy yuuji for example). I also wanna see more genki glasses girl characters as main romantic love interests rather than just side characters who just exist.

Also want to see more antiheroes or at least cases where both parties can be both the hero and the villain. Shield Hero had the chance with the former, but face planted all the way to the shadowrealm with how it all played out

And lastly, more wholesome romances in anime. Manga there's a plethora of them but anime there's so very few
Jun 20, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
YossaRedMage said:

And @HopefulNihilist, @emailfraud doesn't need help lol. That's a pretty ignorant statement. Being cold to others as a defense mechanism is extremely common to almost all people. That's where the whole thing about guys and girls verbally fighting with each other in a certain way making them look like a couple comes from. "We hurt the ones we like" - or something like that, right? I think that's the quote.

Being cold is one thing. Being harsh is another.
Jun 20, 2019 4:37 PM

Oct 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
YossaRedMage said:

I would argue that cold and harsh are synonyms.
Jun 20, 2019 4:51 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I want more anime falls and the type of stuff people complain about all of the time in that regard

Jun 20, 2019 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
emailfraud said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I would argue that cold and harsh are synonyms.

Cold = emotionally distant
Harsh = being an asshole

Now that I think about it, I seriously doubt you're a harsh person: I don't think harsh people admit they're harsh.
Jun 20, 2019 5:34 PM

Oct 2008
Protagonist being raised by his mentor, with potential romantic/sexual relationship developing.

I like stories like in "Grisaia no Rakuen" the mc is raised by his mentor. Another similar is in "Fate zero" where "Kiritsugu Emiya" is raised by "Natalia Kaminski". More of this type of anime please.
Jun 20, 2019 6:00 PM
Mar 2016
Protagonists with hidden powers, there are many anime that are like this, but I've yet to see a good one
More tournament(not sports) anime like Food Wars

Jun 20, 2019 11:38 PM

Apr 2018
Kurai__Hikari said:
emailfraud said:

I believe the main reason as to why there is a lack of "good tsunderes" is simply because the anime and manga industry keeps dishing out one mediocre cookie-cutter tsundere after the other. At this point, tsunderes aren't really so much as characters as they're just simply there because the author/director wants a tsundere in their story. Nowadays it matters not whether the Tsundere actually has a personality of their own. All that counts is that they call the MC a "baka" at least 20 times every episode

Yeah that's a perfect example of why people hate female tsunderes. I just want more like Revy, Suzuka, Rin, etc. I like their cold bitchy attitudes, and how they warm up to people over time.
Jun 20, 2019 11:47 PM

Dec 2011
Need more enemies to friends to lovers trope. There can never be enough.
Jun 20, 2019 11:52 PM

Mar 2019
I don't know about you guys, but I think we need more random boob grabs in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2019 12:04 AM

Jan 2008
Ryuk9428 said:
I don't know about you guys, but I think we need more random boob grabs in anime.

Haha, yeah, there are so few of those...

On topic, anything with strong, competent male characters really. I feel like anime has been dominated by girls for the last decade. We need more shows like JoJo and Death Note.
Jun 21, 2019 12:17 AM

Feb 2016
More panty shots but intellectual ones
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 21, 2019 12:23 AM

Mar 2019
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
More panty shots but intellectual ones

Agreed, we need panty shots, but they need to have the girl be wearing green panties instead so we can ponder the reason why the creators chose to make her underwear green instead of white or pink.
Jun 22, 2019 6:58 AM

Oct 2015
More of that unscrupulous and gratuitous nudity in my delicious harem romance, with stereotypical hotties to my pleasure. All those lovable nee-sans, tsundere, kuudere, childhood friends, mhhh, I can't get enough of those scenarios where your nee-san would clean that dirt out of your lips.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Jun 22, 2019 7:23 AM
Oct 2017
i want to see more fit girls with asses not too thicc but still plump
Jun 22, 2019 8:13 AM

Apr 2014
i like parodies or references to older stuff
just saw lucky star and the callback to to gundam was phenomenal. its also why i like family guy
Jun 22, 2019 8:32 AM

Oct 2013
I just want to see more decent mecha anime. They don't have to be great, just better than the few that have been getting released lately.
Jun 22, 2019 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
Clumsy/Ditzy girls ^_^ I love them!
Jun 24, 2019 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
Another troupe that may be interesting to see explored in anime is serious space exploration. I think that anime is potentially a decent medium to explore this troupe. While it likely wouldn't have the realism/grit of a live action series, it would have the creativity in terms of what concepts could be explored. I think a big part of this is physically creating sets and such for a live action would be super expensive compared to animation. Anime allows for more creativity in terms of the way things can be displayed on screen in terms aspects like camera angles and transitions.

Maybe something like a more serious, plot focused version of Space dandy.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 24, 2019 12:47 AM

May 2018
Fuchsia said:
Another troupe that may be interesting to see explored in anime is serious space exploration.

+1

We need more stuff like Planetes and Freedom.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 50 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
41 seconds ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 36 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.