Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 17, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2014
I've been watching anime for a very long time ever since I was a kid. In High School, starting in 2011, I really started watching a lot of anime daily. Ignoring my school work never passing classes, it was honestly a blast and I don't necessarily regret it. (Yes i graduated) Nearing the end of High School though I noticed a dip in the number of anime's I'd watch. After High School I rarely really watch anime, these past 3 years I've watched only a handful of anime. My watch list is piling up with anime I want to watch but don't really have the motivation to watch anymore. This is disconcerting because I really enjoyed my time watching anime, it really made me happy. But now I feel like I'm missing out.

This is mostly a vent post but I wanna know if anyone has been through this kind of thing. Will it pass? Or am I just moving on from one of the only things in this world I truly looked forward to do.
Jun 17, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2009
either anime burnout or anime boredom so just take a break from anime if you do not enjoy it at the moment
Jun 17, 2019 8:01 PM

May 2016
This is pretty common and It'll pass for sure, you just need a break from it. I recently came back from a 5 month break to watch Carol and Tuesday, and Im gradually watching all the shows that I wanted to see but had no interest in. At least when you do come back from your break, the anime you wanted to watch will be over and you can binge watch.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Jun 17, 2019 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
I really don't get why people get concerned about this. You need to treat anime as entertainment, not homework.
If you don't feel like watching anime for a while, so be it. Nobody will judge you.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jun 17, 2019 8:04 PM

Aug 2014
RaginCajun said:
This is pretty common and It'll pass for sure, you just need a break from it. I recently came back from a 5 month break to watch Carol and Tuesday, and Im gradually watching all the shows that I wanted to see but had no interest in. At least when you do come back from your break, the anime you wanted to watch will be over and you can binge watch.
This is good advice but to be fair ive taken quite amount of breaks
Jun 17, 2019 8:05 PM

Jan 2009
Timz0r said:
I really don't get why people get concerned about this. You need to treat anime as entertainment, not homework.
If you don't feel like watching anime for a while, so be it. Nobody will judge you.

either they treat it as a chore or they are affected by FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)
Jun 17, 2019 8:06 PM

Aug 2014
Timz0r said:
i just want to be a weeb again and watch a bunch of anime
Jun 17, 2019 8:08 PM

May 2016
I mean you can't force something, that you have no interest in. Take a longer one if you need to. Anime isn't going anywhere so you aren't really missing out on anything. If theres an anime that really interests you, you'll be motivated to watch it.
Jun 17, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
I get like this with video games all the time. Eventually it passes, if it doesn't then I guess time to look for a new hobby.

I've never really had this problem with anime. Everytime I felt like I was done, There was always some new anime coming out that looked interesting, or I end up finding an older series I had previously missed out on.
Jun 17, 2019 8:17 PM

Aug 2014
RaginCajun said:
I mean you can't force something, that you have no interest in. Take a longer one if you need to. Anime isn't going anywhere so you aren't really missing out on anything. If theres an anime that really interests you, you'll be motivated to watch it.
I have been more interested in getting back into anime and i REALLY haven't made a giant effort, maybe its time
Jun 17, 2019 8:18 PM

Aug 2014
Setsuei said:
I get like this with video games all the time. Eventually it passes, if it doesn't then I guess time to look for a new hobby.

I've never really had this problem with anime. Everytime I felt like I was done, There was always some new anime coming out that looked interesting, or I end up finding an older series I had previously missed out on.
I was gonna mention that i do sometimes get this same thing with games. I'll start a lot of games but sometimes i wont really finish them but i love games like anyone else and i can always play them
Jun 17, 2019 8:19 PM

May 2016
spell said:
RaginCajun said:
I have been more interested in getting back into anime and i REALLY haven't made a giant effort, maybe its time

Ok, just pick out something that you always wanted to watch and you're good to go.
Jun 17, 2019 8:37 PM

Feb 2012
I wouldn't count on the unhealthy binges returning, but remember that even just 1 anime (or manga/whatever) is already plenty to be entertained with today. I would suggest against long term "anime plans", especially if those were made years ago.
Jun 17, 2019 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
I'm in a similar block. I was pretty much involved in anime for 2-3 years. I'd watch anime, be involved with the community, talked to plenty of people about them, made friends, had discussions, created theories, even ran an anime page, etc. etc.

I guess all that changed. The only anime I'm watching right now is Attack on Titan s3. I just finished watching Code Geass a few weeks ago and I might rewatch NGE after AOT finishes, but I'm really not intaking as much anime as I used to.
Jun 17, 2019 11:29 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
I'm am currently in a sort of recovering phase. I stopped watching anime in 10th grade due to the intense amount of work I had and my extra curricular activities. I had stopped watching anime for nearly a year. Furthermore, I was feeling more and more stressed with my work, as I was procrastinating a lot, due to watching nearly 10 seasonal anime. Eventually, as I mentioned previously, stopped watching anime because of the accumulating stress and work. However, our school was closed for three weeks for a reason I won't mention, and had a lot of free time thanks to that. Thus, I decided to watch one episode, and it reminded me why I love anime. Currently, I am slowly recovering from my anime block, being summer vacation and all, and have started to love it once again. There are, however, differences to how I used to watch it. For example, I no longer watch seasonal anime, as it would bring hell to me when I go back to school. In addition, I decided to only watch one anime at a time. In the end, all I can tell you is that this block will pass. All you need to find is the reason why you love anime. Push yourself to start a new series, and watch one episode. Try to find the reason why you love anime If you can't find that reason, than I guess you just didn't like it as much as you used too.

Also, avoid watching anime while you have something else to do. It will just put unnecessary stress on you. Only watch it when you know that you have free time, like summer vacation right now.
Jun 18, 2019 12:09 AM

Oct 2017
I burnt out in anime during HS (I didn't watch much anime for a year or two) and only got back in during university so it did for me. Honestly I think when you are consuming a hobby like you described it isn't surprising you burnt out. Plus I don't get why so many anime fans feel guilty if they aren't consuming anime at the moment with that mentality no wonder threads like this come up.

There is literally only one hobby that I never tire of. Anime/manga currently is my number 2 hobby right now and even then I tire of it.

I am not watching much anime in my free time this last week because I have had good weather these past few days, some personal responsibilities and I got engrossed by the book I am reading currently Dune. I am already feeling the urge to come back and start binging shows again though because I took a break.

If your that desperate and breaks aren't helping try varying up what your watching genre wise or era wise. Also manga is a good option some unique titles out there that haven't been adapted as anime. Re-watching your favorite shows could help as well.

That is all I can really say because that is all I have basically done and for the past decade since I got into anime (2009) it has worked to some degree sorry if that isn't much help but I can't really see what else you could do.
BilboBaggins365Jun 18, 2019 12:15 AM
Jun 18, 2019 12:31 AM
Jan 2017
Happens with all us....
Taking things slow is an only option
Jun 18, 2019 1:05 AM

Oct 2014
@spell, you have 50 on your Watching so no doubt you feel you're at a wall, even if you aren't watching them all you have progress on 21 of them, with 6 more you have progress on in your PTW, and 5 more in your On Hold, making a total of 32.

I think you're overwhelming yourself, not experiencing a block. You need to trim the fat by giving up on series and not worrying about them, or become a mad man and power through them all.

If you don't know how to give up on certain anime start categorizing them in whatever way you feel necessary be it popularity, rating, influence on the industry/genre, awards it's won, critical reception, how much discussion is around something, memes, recommended by friends, things you decided to watch on a whim and go from there.

That, or i'm wrong.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 18, 2019 1:16 AM
Jan 2012
That's just life, the more you experience something the less joy it'll bring. That feeling of not enjoying anime anymore will pass, but I very much doubt you'll enjoy it as much as you did in high school. Pace yourself, and it'll all be fine. The only people that move on from anime are the people that actually want to, there'll always be series that you'll enjoy even if you don't enjoy anime as much as you used to.

Though, you're an adult now, so don't do the shit you used to. Skipping classes back in high school was easy to get passed, skipping work or college classes isn't. Would be really dumb losing your love for anime only to get it back at the cost of your actual life
Jun 18, 2019 1:39 AM

May 2009
If, as you said, you were watching a ton of anime every day, then you may have burned yourself out on the hobby. Besides, if you were watching more than about 4 episodes a day, I'm not sure that's even a healthy, sustainable amount -- I think I would burn out if I did that.

The way "burnout" works, in my experience, is that it's like, imagine you're pressing a button, and getting something nice out of it. You can smash that button harder and get more pleasure, but after a while that button stops working as well, and you need to give it some time to recover. Or something like that.

Basically, enjoyment doesn't work when you're desperately trying to claw at it. It needs its breathing room, for you to appreciate something more fully. For some reason I'm thinking of that story about the goose that laid golden eggs, but when someone killed the goose to try to get at the eggs, they discovered it was just a normal goose. You can't force these things.
GlennMagusHarveyJun 18, 2019 2:01 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 18, 2019 6:08 AM
May 2009
This happened to me not half a year ago.
I found to much anime being release in the last few seasons to be of poor quality.
So I just moved on to catching up on Movies and TV Shows until there was a good build up of shows to watch for Anime.

This is also one of the reasons I am looking forward to more Donghua from China.
There would be more options for me to watch in the future.
Jun 18, 2019 7:22 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
alternative.

My Anime watching density has also lowered over course of years. For various reasons....
but whenever I get anime "burnout"

I just watch movies/western series, more youtube vids or do more gaming.
Jun 18, 2019 7:41 AM

Apr 2017
That sometimes happens to me. Taking break should solve the situation. It always does for me. How long it takes differs though, for me it can be anywhere from a few days to a few months. So don't worry if you aren't interested for a while, you will likely regain interested over time. And if you don't then you can just find new hobbies that you find fun.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jun 18, 2019 1:56 PM

Aug 2014
Honestly i'd watch an anime a day and i even spent a whole summer and a couple months into 10th grade watching all of one piece
Jun 18, 2019 1:59 PM

Aug 2014
Lunilah said:
@spell, you have 50 on your Watching so no doubt you feel you're at a wall, even if you aren't watching them all you have progress on 21 of them, with 6 more you have progress on in your PTW, and 5 more in your On Hold, making a total of 32.

I think you're overwhelming yourself, not experiencing a block. You need to trim the fat by giving up on series and not worrying about them, or become a mad man and power through them all.

If you don't know how to give up on certain anime start categorizing them in whatever way you feel necessary be it popularity, rating, influence on the industry/genre, awards it's won, critical reception, how much discussion is around something, memes, recommended by friends, things you decided to watch on a whim and go from there.

That, or i'm wrong.
to be fair im not really trying to watch all of them at the same time, i just stop watching 1 and start another
Jun 18, 2019 2:30 PM

May 2009
spell said:
Honestly i'd watch an anime a day and i even spent a whole summer and a couple months into 10th grade watching all of one piece
An entire series in one day?

Holy crap, I usually take somewhere between a week to a month to do that, and then take time off from watching stuff after finishing.
Jun 18, 2019 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
spell said:

Holy crap, I usually take somewhere between a week to a month to do that, and then take time off from watching stuff after finishing.
its not that big of a deal, it'd take 4 hours to watch a 12 episode anime. 24 is 8 hours so it'd take a couple days depending on how dedicated i am
Jun 18, 2019 2:40 PM

Jan 2018
Sounds just like me maybe 4 years ago but that feeling of loving anime never came back. However reading some manga actually brought back that feeling so i'd say give manga a try.
Jun 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Mar 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Besides, if you were watching more than about 4 episodes a day, I'm not sure that's even a healthy, sustainable amount

I watch like 8 episodes a day lol

@spell people keep telling you to take a break, but it sounds like you take a lot of breaks in-between finishing something (?) if you've only watched a handful of anime in 3 years like you say. Not sure if it'd be 'burnout' in this case, perhaps you just need to get in the right mindset of sitting down and watching something you want. Or maybe you've outgrown the kinds of anime you used to like and you need to find something new or different in anime.
Jun 18, 2019 2:57 PM

Dec 2015
Maybe it's more about what you are watching, that's making you feel a bit father away from anime as you once was.

I don't know about anime burn out, if that's a case I woud be one of those guys.
I'm watching for sure more shows then 99.9% of the community here each week.

Around 15-25 + titles each week and I still love anime.

Maybe you need to explore something else, as the it exist around 20k shows and a bunch of genres.

Maybe you coud find something else out there that woud make you fall head over heels in love with anime.

I'm watching everything, so when I have finished a "bad" show and start watching something else, I'm just so damn happy that I coud find something this enjoyable after the shit I just watched.

Maybe burnout is a thing and you shoud take a longer break and do something else.

Sadly I have no exeperince about what you're a feeling, I hope it will go over as soon as possible so you can start to enjoy anime again.

Well, I hope you will get over with it soon, GL mate x)

Jun 18, 2019 3:18 PM

May 2009
spell said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

its not that big of a deal, it'd take 4 hours to watch a 12 episode anime. 24 is 8 hours so it'd take a couple days depending on how dedicated i am
...wouldn't it take 6 hours to watch a 12 episode anime?

Unless you're doing like the bare minimum of watching everything, cutting out all the OPs/EDs and such, I guess.

I dunno about you, but I really wouldn't be able to enjoy stuff like that. At the very least, I tend to like OPs/EDs so I'd keep those playing even if I was doing something else at the same time. And having an entire story just flash by my eyes and be gone in a few hours feels...like a waste, compared to spending some quality time with it.

While I have once binge-watched an entire two-cour series in one day, I didn't enjoy the experience. In recent days I think the most number of episodes I've watched in a row is probably 6 to 8. And even then, I'm generally including the theme songs, as well as some downtime between episodes to do other things, like get snacks, use the bathroom, chat online, mark episodes as watched, do some chores, and so on. So the episodes basically take half an hour each, which is actually the intended time-size anyway.

syncrogazer said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Besides, if you were watching more than about 4 episodes a day, I'm not sure that's even a healthy, sustainable amount

Yeah, I guess I'm probably on the slow side of things personally.
Jun 18, 2019 3:21 PM

Oct 2014
spell said:
Lunilah said:

That, or i'm wrong.
to be fair im not really trying to watch all of them at the same time, i just stop watching 1 and start another
Well it's gotta be something if you've already taken breaks.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 18, 2019 4:09 PM

Oct 2008
I was 15 in 2006 and probably in 5th or 6th grade, when I started watching anime. I watched whatever I could find and looked good (mostly hentai).

Than in 2011 I became a seasonal anime watcher and was starting my first year of university. Around 2015 or 2016 I felt I was loosing my affection for anime, I decided life had finally caught up to me and responsibilities awaited. So anime would be abandoned or ignored for an unspecified amount of time.

But than a thought came, what would I do to entertain myself, after work. So anime wasn't my obsession and first priority anymore. However what stared as a hobby grew in to an obsession, had finally reached the stage of mutual respect and affection. Now anime is merely the easiest way for me to entertain myself, I do have other ways naturally, but simple is best.
Jun 18, 2019 6:48 PM

Aug 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
spell said:
...wouldn't it take 6 hours to watch a 12 episode anime?

Unless you're doing like the bare minimum of watching everything, cutting out all the OPs/EDs and such, I guess.

I dunno about you, but I really wouldn't be able to enjoy stuff like that. At the very least, I tend to like OPs/EDs so I'd keep those playing even if I was doing something else at the same time. And having an entire story just flash by my eyes and be gone in a few hours feels...like a waste, compared to spending some quality time with it.

While I have once binge-watched an entire two-cour series in one day, I didn't enjoy the experience. In recent days I think the most number of episodes I've watched in a row is probably 6 to 8. And even then, I'm generally including the theme songs, as well as some downtime between episodes to do other things, like get snacks, use the bathroom, chat online, mark episodes as watched, do some chores, and so on. So the episodes basically take half an hour each, which is actually the intended time-size anyway.

syncrogazer said:

Yeah, I guess I'm probably on the slow side of things personally.
implying i spend 20 min watching an anime

20(minutes)*12(episodes)=240(minutes)

240(minutes)/60(minutes{1 Hour})=4(Hours)

Most anime's id skip the op and ending but even if i'd watch it it'd be close to 20-24 min
spellJun 18, 2019 6:52 PM
Jun 19, 2019 2:56 AM

Jan 2016
take a break do something else.

i used to felt quite the same back in early 2011 and i took a break around 3 years and focus on study and else but, in return, when i come back i felt missing out, lost accounts and such, as for now when i felt boredom or burnout again, i often break about 1-2 months and just disappear/stay away from Anime-related communities.

well it is not worth it, if continue to Watch while you are not in mood.
so, just take a break come back afterwards if you feel like it.

or you could just, move to manga or VN for change a pace

More topics from this board

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 9 hours ago

22 by ShatteredSans »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

42 by Coaghim »»
2 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

34 by Horshu »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

39 by perseii »»
4 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

16 by Horshu »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.