Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 3, 2019 12:17 PM

Jul 2014
Farabeuf said:
Cowards. They're all a bunch of cowards, ganging up on Hyakkimaru like that and taking Dororo away.

Devil_Slayer said:

Eventually, Tahou came to the mindset that "what's done is done and Hyakki existence now do more harm than good" so he becomes focused on saving his country

Unlike Daigo, it's shown many times that Tahou's motivations are noble and comes purely from his care and worry about his people. Because he is the prince and the next king of the county, he sees it as his responsibility to kill his brother

So Hyakki loses all the right to exist then? Why didn't Tahomaru when he found out about his fathers heinous crime, offer his body or better yet his fathers to the demons in the temple?
Tahomaru is no hero. He's a brat who's jealous of his mother's longing for her eldest and he disguises it with a burning sense of duty.

They are not to choose the sacrifice, the demons are the one swho chooses their offers as you can clearly see in episode 1.

But he did defend his brother when he found out what his father did to him.
Jun 3, 2019 12:23 PM
Jun 2016
Suduha said:
It was such a great idea the way they used the horse to try and blow up Hyakkimaru, that samurai is no joke.

Amazing episode as usual, getting ready for that feels ending

Yep your profile pic tells all
Jun 3, 2019 12:26 PM

May 2016
Pretty good episode! The start was a bit slow, and it felt like they were rushing certain developments (only 3 episodes left now... Dunno if I'll end up liking this story's structure much), but that fight was great! Thought the animation was especially good for it, if a bit idiosyncratic(?) in usual Dororo fashion. The director really knows how to do sword fights, it's his "thing" I'm pretty sure, and it's shame we really haven't gotten that many. Also was that Rapidash at the end there?! What a crossover. Hyakki is definitely gonna ride that bad girl back for some sweet joint revenge... He might just come out of that hole a proper demon.

Also older Dororo is now fully clear in the ED... And so cute. Feel like this teases a happy or at least bittersweet ending for her and Hyakki... Maybe.. There better be!
ZaugrJun 3, 2019 12:42 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2019 12:37 PM

May 2015
Noooo the horse, the fcking horse :c
Jun 3, 2019 12:47 PM
Apr 2016
kater_tot said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

She is starting to look more and more like her mother.

I don't think that would make much sense. The old blind man is just a monk who is fighing evil on behalf of Buddha. He is just that and he refuses to fight men, only demons. He will become a sacrifice in some final battle.

I say that because he always seems to know where Dororo & Hyakki are and he seems very interested in what happens to Hyakki

Well of course he would be - Hyakkimaru was protected by Buddha, and is not slowly succumbing to evil. The monk is fighting against evil, and, logically, less evil there is the better. So it is in monk's best interest to stop Hyakkimaru from becoming a demon, but while at it he does not interfere with mortal struggle.
Re:formed
Jun 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2018
This fight gave me Naruto vibes
Jun 3, 2019 1:53 PM

Jul 2009
Bobby2Hands said:
I felt bad for that horse, ripped away from her child and then killed in a suicide bombing.

TBH that was ridiculously stupid. They took the horse because it seemed exceptionally. So now you're just gonna use it in a suicide bombing? What a waste. I'd hate for any horse to be used like that but it's bizarre that they use THIS specific horse for that.
Jun 3, 2019 2:17 PM

Mar 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
kater_tot said:

I say that because he always seems to know where Dororo & Hyakki are and he seems very interested in what happens to Hyakki

Well of course he would be - Hyakkimaru was protected by Buddha, and is not slowly succumbing to evil. The monk is fighting against evil, and, logically, less evil there is the better. So it is in monk's best interest to stop Hyakkimaru from becoming a demon, but while at it he does not interfere with mortal struggle.

Ah that makes sense. I might sound really stupid here but how do u know that Hyakki is protected by Buddha?
Jun 3, 2019 2:43 PM

Dec 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
To be honest after they introduced Tahoomaru's illogical morality based on the needs of the majority, it just kinda... lost the rest of logic and became rather dull. But it was good when it lasted. I liked it.

I'm curious as to why you would consider it illogical, an utilitarian mindset fits the kind of character that prioritizes the lives of the majority (especially since he idealizes his father's rulership so much and it's hard not to see why he does )
Jun 3, 2019 2:52 PM

Dec 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
ninka22 said:

I sure as hell will not justify sacrificing children to demons as the way of carrying responsibility of my country.

carry the responsibility of the country how? by blaming victim and just seek the easy way out thinking like that? of course ignorance is bliss and that's why karma will hit them really hard.

he's just narcissistic, jealous, spoiled brat. Who tries to pretend he's hero when he's clearly a villain.

I am not saying it's the right thing to do, I just said I can see where Tahomaruo is coming from.

Also, yeah. You have to remember Tahoumarou is just 15-16 years old kid who thinks he is some hero who is destined to save the country by killing the EVIL "which is his brother" when the situation is much bigger than that.

Not to butt in into the discussion but I've wanted to add that from Tahomaru's perspective it also makes sense for him to suddenly vilify Hyakki since it's obviously much easier for someone to kill a ruthless demon that's only to be viewed as an obstacle to the happiness of the whole land instead of acknowledging that he's not only your brother but more generally a person that never meant for any of this to happen and doesn't actually carry any responsibility for the deal itself and has feelings and thoughts of his own and just wants his rightful body back...

It's much easier to dehumanise him & declare him an enemy whom you should kill for the greater good instead of facing the much more morally complex grey reality...

So it makes sense for Tahomaru psychologically to protect himself and justify his deeds by being this unfair.
Jun 3, 2019 2:56 PM
Mar 2015
A horse A horse My kingdom for a horse
Jun 3, 2019 3:20 PM

Mar 2012
Farabeuf said:
Cowards. They're all a bunch of cowards, ganging up on Hyakkimaru like that and taking Dororo away.

Devil_Slayer said:

Eventually, Tahou came to the mindset that "what's done is done and Hyakki existence now do more harm than good" so he becomes focused on saving his country

Unlike Daigo, it's shown many times that Tahou's motivations are noble and comes purely from his care and worry about his people. Because he is the prince and the next king of the county, he sees it as his responsibility to kill his brother

So Hyakki loses all the right to exist then? Why didn't Tahomaru when he found out about his fathers heinous crime, offer his body or better yet his fathers to the demons in the temple?
Tahomaru is no hero. He's a brat who's jealous of his mother's longing for her eldest and he disguises it with a burning sense of duty.
Except... Hyakkimaru is killing the remaining demons that actually were proven to make the land more plentiful and healthy...? Both sides clearly have actual reasons. Tahomaru doesn't want his entire country to be in ruins like it was before. The people the demons killed are a FRACTION of the suffering that was happening before. That's one of the points the show has been drilling our heads since early on. Tahomaru definitely has noble ambitions.
Jun 3, 2019 3:30 PM
Nov 2017
Please let there be a second season, i'm not ready for this anime to end in 3 weeks
Jun 3, 2019 4:03 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, this was an incredible episode!!! the action sequences were fantastic! I felt bad for the siblings tho..

Swagernator said:
Hyakkimaru will ride a fucking Rapidash to the final battle, absolute madlad.

lmao, mte
Jun 3, 2019 4:08 PM

Sep 2011
Asakura is marching on into Daigo's land, and thanks to this they can't spare an army to hunt Hyakkimaru like before, but hopefully this is the beginning of Daigo's fall. Tahomaru, Mutsu and Hyogo are still blaming Hyakkimaru for everything, even for the war that is being waged by humans, as if he were the one leading Asakura himself. I guess it's because it is his fault the land lost the protection of the demons.

Then there's Dororo who is, understandably, afraid that Hyakkimaru is about to lose himself. But even if there's something about that demon that can make him go berserk, he is still himself and he still wants to feel and see since he has the opportunity and the right to do so. So Dororo can't do anything to stop him, and follows him into the conflict. Then there's Tahomaru, who can't even fight Hyakkimaru by himself despite acting all high and mighty about killing the "demon". But thankfully not even Hyogo and Mutsu together are enough to give him an edge, and they were probably going to die there if Daigo didn't plan ahead to deal with their failure.

I felt bad for that poor horse too. It was graceful and innocent, but it was taken there just to be turned into a bomb against its will. And Dororo was captured. Again. So that they can use her somehow to have an edge over a wounded Hyakkimaru. I wonder if that horse, which is now a youkai, is going to try to kill Hyakkimaru down there or become his mount, giving even more leverage to his lovely "brother" and "father" to call him a "demon". And they only like demons when their powers are working for them. At least, I believe, Tahomaru truly cares about the people. He isn't like his father, but relying on the power of demons and trying with all his might to erase his brother isn't the way to go, he has to open his eyes or fall too.
Jun 3, 2019 4:51 PM

Oct 2012
A very good episode, It hurts me that hyakkimaru is losing his humanity more and more how right he has to want to get his body back. In the end, it focused on the horse's eye, is it the demon that has the eyes of hyakkimaru? Or it could be a good spirit that his mom created with some prayer logically.

Jun 3, 2019 4:52 PM
Apr 2016
Hyakkimaru is getting really aggressive over even petty things, interesting. The fight was really entertaining, it was well animated. Hyakkimaru and Dororo were separated yet again, this time it's a really dangerous separation. The ending is unsettling, honestly...
Jun 3, 2019 4:54 PM
Dec 2017
Crud, not Mutsu and Hyogo. They've already been through so much please don't let them dieee.
The animation was something else this episode, particularly on the facial expressions. Dororo and Hyakkimaru's faces during the fight deserve special mention. The fight itself managed to be pretty fluid despite (or maybe due to?) being primarily drawn on the twos. Also, a wild Rapidash appeared.
Jun 3, 2019 5:07 PM

Sep 2014
Oof Hyakkimaru has no chill. He gets quite a lot more brutal and cold now.
His brother is pretty stupid as well, they all lost to him before, and his friends paid the price now.

Next ep he will become the Ghost Rider? Poor Hol-Horse didnt deserve this. Go and get your revenge number 2!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 3, 2019 5:11 PM
May 2016
SparkleDuck said:
Farabeuf said:

Except... Hyakkimaru is killing the remaining demons that actually were proven to make the land more plentiful and healthy...? Both sides clearly have actual reasons. Tahomaru doesn't want his entire country to be in ruins like it was before. The people the demons killed are a FRACTION of the suffering that was happening before. That's one of the points the show has been drilling our heads since early on. Tahomaru definitely has noble ambitions.

noble ambitions? LOL Pretty sure Hitler thought he was doing what he did for noble ambitions too and it worked for him for the time being too.
Nothing shows noble ambitions more than sacrificing children to demons for your countries prosperity. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I'll have a lot o fun when Hyakkimaru kills that brat. The salt of Tahomaru fans in this thread will be delicious.

It was very satisfying when he chopped Tahomaru's minions arms off in this episode. They sure got what they deserved.

ninka22Jun 3, 2019 5:22 PM
Jun 3, 2019 5:14 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
kater_tot said:
Ah man, this anime is tearing me apart...

I don't want Tahomaru to die because he's just trying to be a good ruler and i don't want Hyakkimaru to die but he's getting so cold and hard hearted and it's so sad. I thought he'd turned a corner recently but it feels like he's taken 3 steps back.

I also have a theory that the old blind man is the demon that didn't take a part of him but i'm not sure what that would mean for the plot...

I've kinda given up on a happy ending... just preparing for the worst now 😭

what do you mean he took a few steps back before his motivation to get his body wasn't so high yeah he wanted it but now he has come to realise how important having a human body would be like a few episodes ago when dororo was trapped by the rock and the water was coming if he didn't have fake arms then he would have managed something but since his arms are fake they broke after some pressure, I get that a whole land is at stake but it's not fair for the guy to just say yea you guys can take my body parts and I'll live like a broken record while people from that land can drink and smile without knowing who is suffering to give them this life

Jun 3, 2019 5:16 PM
Jan 2019
Good episode
First.. that horse was so beautiful.. rip cute horse.. i wish u was mine
Second.. the fight animation was super.. thx mappa for at least doing the fights well
Third... i hate when dororo and hyakki get separated.. hope they marry in the end... LOL.. well at least a happy ending to both of them
Fourth.. i literally wish for a massacre next episode.. kill them all hyakki chan
Jun 3, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2017
ayo that ending was wild. was expecting a cliffhanger honestly but happy to see that hyakki is pushing on ,, and that horse o m g

felt a little bored up until hyakki and tahomaru's fight tbh but still the episode wasn't bad

placeholder text
Jun 3, 2019 5:29 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
ninka22 said:
kater_tot said:
Ah man, this anime is tearing me apart...

I don't want Tahomaru to die because he's just trying to be a good ruler and i don't want Hyakkimaru to die but he's getting so cold and hard hearted and it's so sad. I thought he'd turned a corner recently but it feels like he's taken 3 steps back.

I've kinda given up on a happy ending... just preparing for the worst now 😭

WTF. Tahomaru is real monster and he should to die a painful death.
Trying to be a good ruler by sacrificing innocent children to demons. If he wants to be good guy why didn't he sacrifice his own body to those demons.
Hyakkimaru isn't cold. He's angry and has every right to be angry after what his shitty famili did to him. Do you seriously think he has no right to get his body parts back? Did he ever attack his shitty brother or father. They are the ones attacking him and he has no choice but defend himself.

I'm sure justice will be served and manga spoiler.

If you really think that spoild brat Tahomaru is the good guy in this story you have serious problems.

exactly you have to give that whole shitty family their wrongs, the father sacrificed his new born kid the and the mother was just a thot even after meeting her kid again she went an rejected him and his shitty lily bro calling his father by his real name no you shouldn't have any respect for a guy like him it's revolting, I'm pretty sure the all going straight to hell

Jun 3, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2015
Tahomaru is really bent on killing his brother for the nation, what happened to blood is thicker than water? But that fight was impressive, the way Hyakkimaru cut both of Mutsu and Hyogo's arms was vicious!

RIP to the horse though, I really liked it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 3, 2019 5:58 PM
May 2016
This post sums up everithing I want to say regarding this anime.Thanks to chelsiegeorgia for it.

I don’t usually post rants and stuff but todays episode just, uuurg! I loved it, it was a great episode but I just hate it when they make Hyakkimaru out to be the bad guy. They’re once again trying to get us to feel sorry for the people living in Daigo’s land by showing epidemics and war and death. yeah, hate to break it to you Daigo but your land isn’t the only place that’s suffering, like the entire country is at war but you don’t see anyone else go whining to demons. Not until he freed them and other villages started following in his footsteps and began making deals and sacrificing innocent lives.

It’s like everyone seems to be forgetting that the only reason this bit of land is thriving is because of a deal with literal Demons. They’re thriving off an unwilling. innocent sacrifice and don’t even acknowledge it because Daigo didn’t even have the balls to admit what he did and lied to them about sealing away the demons and feeding his own ego.

Also, every time Tahomaru calls Hyakki a demon I just want to scream. like can you not see the hypocrisy in what your saying dude!! You’re calling the person trying to stop the demons a demon himself while your people continue to prosper…with the help of demons? What?

People like to talk about minority vs majority but tend to forget that since Daigo freed the demons they’ve been allowed to run amok all over the country, killing people, taking over villages, manipulating people etc etc. If we want to talk about minority vs majority then why let this one piece of land prosper while the entire rest of the county has to suffer even more for it. What about the thousands of people not living in Diagos land who are now plagued and hunted by the Demons that he set free.

Instead of trying to find a solution on their own, they’re using Hyakkimaru as a scapegoat, an easy way out. ‘Oh why find a better, permanent solution when we can just murder this innocent boy who’s life we’ve already made a living hell?’ As Nui said, the deals already broken now, so killing Hyakkimaru probably isn’t going to do much good. I doubt the Demons are going to be so forgiving for breaking the deal.

This deal was doomed from the start. This is literal Demons we’re talking about here, since when do they play fair. They’re living on borrowed time, time that doesn’t even belong to them. I went back and watched episode one and the priest at the hall of hell told Daigo that what he’s doing is evil and nothing good will come of it and that he’ll pay the consequences and he is. Some divine intervention obviously wanted Hyakkimaru to survive, we’ve seen that symbolised throughout the series and I feel like the gods are using Hyakkimaru as punishment for Daigo abandoning his faith in them and turning to the demons.

Also I feel like people are going to be upset for what Hyakki did to Hyogo and Mutsu in the episode but like what’s he supposed to do? Just stand there and do nothing why these people keep jumping him and attempting to kill him? They gang up on him 3 to 1 then whine about it when they keep losing, like come on. They keep going in for the kill, why can’t Hyakki do the same?

In conclusion, I could not care less about what happens to the people in Daigos cursed land and I will stand by Hyakkimaru’s right to get his body back!! Go baby boy!! get back whats rightfully yours!!
Jun 3, 2019 6:00 PM

Sep 2007
That poor horse....

And now it's a zombie....

I can't see it helping Hyakki out but hey....maybe somehow they decide they want "revenge" on the same people and they do team up. That would be such a twist though...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 3, 2019 6:09 PM

Oct 2010
Bunch of pricks. Tahomaru is blind. He's just victim blaming his brother for the failure of his father. Really good episode
Jun 3, 2019 6:21 PM

Mar 2016
Hyakki and Tahou's fights are getting boring, but I absolutely loved how both of Tahou's bodyguards lost an arm, making them useless with their weapons.

I thought the bodyguards' backstories were unnecessary, but when Kagemitsu's guy captured Dororo, I understood their importance. Hope this actually leads somewhere, because it looks like it can create quite an interesting conflict.

They killed the horse worse than the Mountain did. Hope those guys get killed just like that.

There is a flaming horse! Looks like it is a symbol of hope for Hyakki. However, I wonder if it is actually a demon that is going to make things worse. Thinking about the way the horse was introduced, it's probably going to be an ally.
Jun 3, 2019 6:23 PM

Feb 2015
This is getting worse and worse, and more generic and generic; the morality issues are becoming more inane, and boring. It's trying too hard and making a caricature level of "both are wrong / right" kind of shit. I kind of wish this was split in two cours so I could give the first cour the higher ranking is deserves, and this cour the shit ranking it deserves.
Jun 3, 2019 7:08 PM
Sep 2017
Really hoping that wild Rapidash is an ally for Hyakkimaru - he could use one to help rescue Dororo. And kick the asses of the Daigo clan. When he told Dororo he wanted to touch with his hands and see like she did, it just broke my heart. He does deserve to get the rest of his body back!
Jun 3, 2019 7:40 PM
Mar 2017
I'm surprized at people calling Tahomaru a plain villain or just a spoiled brat. Maybe you people perceive him through the manga prism, idk, but this adaptation basically reinvented his character so referencing to the original makes no sense. As for me, Tahomaru’s character in 2019 version totally steals the light. While Hyakkimaru’s motivations are basic like those of a child who is fighting just to be born into this world, Tahomaru’s motives are complex and his choice conditions are harsh. Calling him a plain villain is just ignoring everything this anime tried to convey up to this moment.

First, there is a huge and constant emphasis on Tahomaru's noble and caring attitude. He cares for his people and land to the point of constantly risking his life. He does it for his pride? Nope. He just feels personal responsibility, it is clearly stated several times. Like when he attacks Hyakki 3 on 1 or brings a whole army to kill him which is obviously harmful to his pride, but more efficient. He needs the work done to secure the safety of his land, not to indulge himself or to prove smth to his father. (Btw, it was shown that he actually tried to prove himself to his MOTHER ("tell father to send me to war, maybe that will make you proud of me"), while he had no problems with his father who did praise him and notice his successes). So, there is no evidence of him doing it just to prove himself.

Second, Tahomaru doesn't believe that sacrificing Hyakkimaru was a right thing to do. He said it himself. He accused his parents and his father, straightforward saying that he did it for his own ambitions and not for the people. That alone draws a line thick enough between his and his father's motivations.

Why Tahomaru called Hyakkimaru a demon then, if he does consider his brother to be an innocent victim? Because he has made the decision, chosing to protect his land over his brother, and once he made it, he should follow it through, otherwise he would be just a weak emo kid driven by his sentiments, wavering and fluctuating. Sentiments are good for the mellow people of 21 century who don't want to decide and just want to enjoy life. For a ruler, especially the one from the Sengoku era, sentiments can't be good. If you have no advanced medicine to stop epidemics, you have to burn down the village. If you can't do anything against floods, droughts and other calamities other than killing one guy, you have to kill the guy. The price - just 1 life - is ridiculously cheap for that era.

Does Tahoumaru enjoy it? Did he lose his humanity? No. He clearly says that he forbids himself to let his feelings get in the way. So, he does have them. His feelings. Meaning it is absurd to label him as a plain villain even from the emotional perspective.

Notice how he never once called Hyakkimaru "brother" after their first battle. But during their first battle, he still called him exactly that. Brother. Meaning this is the very sentiment he has sworn to not let blunt his sword ever again. It makes him weaker. So he tries to depersonate this as much as he can, calling him just Hyakkimaru and a demon. This is not malice; this is a desperate attempt of a boy to manage his feelings in order to do his duty.

Tahomaru's line is downright tragic: he did nothing wrong, he managed to grow up a noble and caring man, and then he was set between the hammer and the anvil and made to take responsibility for everything his father had done. And he took it. This is admirable.

Back to why Tahomaru has made this decision at all: he couldn't find how to oppose his father's argument "The ambition of the lord is the ambition of his people", following with how he sacrificed his own son and not ashamed as a samurai. This one is about his political interests, not about calamities even. And yet again, we have to mind the era: the country was a mess of constant feuds, the Ashikaga shogunate being weak and failing to control the local daimyos, Imperial court having no political power either. Daigo basically wanted to pull out an Oda Nobunaga and grab the whole land. He wasn't the only one like that. If he wasn't attaking, he would be defending, that's how it was. You can't be a pacifist in the Warring States era. Now, Oda Nobunaga along with Toyotomi and Tokugawa are considered the unifiers of Japan. They killed thousands of people, and Oda, for one, was named a Demon during his lifetime. Did they do it for their ambitions -- or to unite the country, put an end to the feuds that drained it and reestablish the law? Both, obviously. No idealist can conquer and unify the country without being ambitious. And vice versa, no ambitious man would conquer the country without having a high ideal in mind, just out of greed.
If i was drawing parallels, i'd rather draw them between the abovementioned historical figures but not Hitler who killed millions just because he wanted them not to exist. Daigo has found the way to obtain his prosperity and political success by killing just one. And yes, it does make a perfect sense to sacrifice 1 for many. The whole human history is the story of such sacrifices. Army, for one, is the potencial sacrifice material for the benefit of the whole country.

What doesn't make sense is to make deals with demons, obviously.
If you can't be a great ruler and conquerer by yourself, it means you simply can't. You lack qualities or conditions necessary for that. No demons will make you one. Daigo failed to realise it.

Now, I don't know if Tahomaru's objectives are, like his father, to conquer the country and thus make the wars stop. Mutsu said he hates wars. I guess it's the same for Hyogo and Taho. Tahomaru seems more like a local ruler who will just try to protect his own domain. But he also has shown the ability to control his sentiments, a quality without which you can't be any good as a leader.
seafireflyJun 3, 2019 7:44 PM
Jun 3, 2019 8:05 PM
Jul 2011
It broke my heart when I saw what they did to that beautiful horse.
Jun 3, 2019 8:26 PM
Aug 2015

wow. Dororo adult is beautiful
Jun 3, 2019 8:44 PM
May 2016
seafirefly said:
I'm surprized at people calling Tahomaru a plain villain or just a spoiled brat. Maybe you people perceive him through the manga prism, idk, but this adaptation basically reinvented his character so referencing to the original makes no sense. As for me, Tahomaru’s character in 2019 version totally steals the light. While Hyakkimaru’s motivations are basic like those of a child who is fighting just to be born into this world, Tahomaru’s motives are complex and his choice conditions are harsh. Calling him a plain villain is just ignoring everything this anime tried to convey up to this moment.

First, there is a huge and constant emphasis on Tahomaru's noble and caring attitude. He cares for his people and land to the point of constantly risking his life. He does it for his pride? Nope. He just feels personal responsibility, it is clearly stated several times. Like when he attacks Hyakki 3 on 1 or brings a whole army to kill him which is obviously harmful to his pride, but more efficient. He needs the work done to secure the safety of his land, not to indulge himself or to prove smth to his father. (Btw, it was shown that he actually tried to prove himself to his MOTHER ("tell father to send me to war, maybe that will make you proud of me"), while he had no problems with his father who did praise him and notice his successes). So, there is no evidence of him doing it just to prove himself.

Second, Tahomaru doesn't believe that sacrificing Hyakkimaru was a right thing to do. He said it himself. He accused his parents and his father, straightforward saying that he did it for his own ambitions and not for the people. That alone draws a line thick enough between his and his father's motivations.

Why Tahomaru called Hyakkimaru a demon then, if he does consider his brother to be an innocent victim? Because he has made the decision, chosing to protect his land over his brother, and once he made it, he should follow it through, otherwise he would be just a weak emo kid driven by his sentiments, wavering and fluctuating. Sentiments are good for the mellow people of 21 century who don't want to decide and just want to enjoy life. For a ruler, especially the one from the Sengoku era, sentiments can't be good. If you have no advanced medicine to stop epidemics, you have to burn down the village. If you can't do anything against floods, droughts and other calamities other than killing one guy, you have to kill the guy. The price - just 1 life - is ridiculously cheap for that era.

Does Tahoumaru enjoy it? Did he lose his humanity? No. He clearly says that he forbids himself to let his feelings get in the way. So, he does have them. His feelings. Meaning it is absurd to label him as a plain villain even from the emotional perspective.

Notice how he never once called Hyakkimaru "brother" after their first battle. But during their first battle, he still called him exactly that. Brother. Meaning this is the very sentiment he has sworn to not let blunt his sword ever again. It makes him weaker. So he tries to depersonate this as much as he can, calling him just Hyakkimaru and a demon. This is not malice; this is a desperate attempt of a boy to manage his feelings in order to do his duty.

Tahomaru's line is downright tragic: he did nothing wrong, he managed to grow up a noble and caring man, and then he was set between the hammer and the anvil and made to take responsibility for everything his father had done. And he took it. This is admirable.

Back to why Tahomaru has made this decision at all: he couldn't find how to oppose his father's argument "The ambition of the lord is the ambition of his people", following with how he sacrificed his own son and not ashamed as a samurai. This one is about his political interests, not about calamities even. And yet again, we have to mind the era: the country was a mess of constant feuds, the Ashikaga shogunate being weak and failing to control the local daimyos, Imperial court having no political power either. Daigo basically wanted to pull out an Oda Nobunaga and grab the whole land. He wasn't the only one like that. If he wasn't attaking, he would be defending, that's how it was. You can't be a pacifist in the Warring States era. Now, Oda Nobunaga along with Toyotomi and Tokugawa are considered the unifiers of Japan. They killed thousands of people, and Oda, for one, was named a Demon during his lifetime. Did they do it for their ambitions -- or to unite the country, put an end to the feuds that drained it and reestablish the law? Both, obviously. No idealist can conquer and unify the country without being ambitious. And vice versa, no ambitious man would conquer the country without having a high ideal in mind, just out of greed.
If i was drawing parallels, i'd rather draw them between the abovementioned historical figures but not Hitler who killed millions just because he wanted them not to exist. Daigo has found the way to obtain his prosperity and political success by killing just one. And yes, it does make a perfect sense to sacrifice 1 for many. The whole human history is the story of such sacrifices. Army, for one, is the potencial sacrifice material for the benefit of the whole country.

What doesn't make sense is to make deals with demons, obviously.
If you can't be a great ruler and conquerer by yourself, it means you simply can't. You lack qualities or conditions necessary for that. No demons will make you one. Daigo failed to realise it.

Now, I don't know if Tahomaru's objectives are, like his father, to conquer the country and thus make the wars stop. Mutsu said he hates wars. I guess it's the same for Hyogo and Taho. Tahomaru seems more like a local ruler who will just try to protect his own domain. But he also has shown the ability to control his sentiments, a quality without which you can't be any good as a leader.

I stopped reading your post the moment you tryed to trivialize Hyakkimaru's objectives. Hyakkimaru’s motivations are basic?
So let's cut your hands and legs, let's make you blind, mute and deaf and then talk about basic motivations.
Tell any disabled person how their desire to be healthy is basic motivation.

'Every person here who thinks that, sacrificing innocent children to demons is justified by anything in this world is a monster.
there is not such a thing as doing evil for greater good, evil is evil and killing children is evil.
Tahomaru has become a monster like his father, the moment he started to justify his father's evil deeds. Just as in the manga, karma will bite his and his fathers asses.

ninka22Jun 3, 2019 8:52 PM
Jun 3, 2019 9:12 PM
Oct 2017
The chapter was very bad, the animation declined again, the fight scene had little futility and the interactions felt unnatural. Also, what the fuck with that horse ???
Jun 3, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2010
Is this the horse that has been shown on the 1st OP? I wonder whether this has something to do with Hyakki's demon powers...

And... well, I ain't gonna diss Taho. He's in a tough spot himself, and his line of thinking is understandable, given that in that era there might not be any alternative choice whatsoever, or even the chance to talk it out is nada. Not to mention the father's fatalistic, extreme approach to solve problems. God a bad land? Make a deal with demons! Got an epidemic? Burn and destroy whole villages with its residents! And on and on and on... No matter Taho takes upon his dadda.
Jun 3, 2019 9:50 PM

Sep 2016
Is it just me or is the ending sequence getting more clearer? And is that Dororo with long hair at the end?
Jun 3, 2019 9:53 PM

Sep 2016
Momohime said:
It broke my heart when I saw what they did to that beautiful horse.

Its okay because now it evolved into Rapidash! Congratulations!
Jun 3, 2019 10:29 PM

Oct 2017
The fight was great. Tahomaru and his friends survived but Hyakkimaru dealt a heavy blow to them. I wonder whats gonna happen in next tahomaru and hyakkimaru confontration or will it even happen again.
Jun 3, 2019 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
ninka22 said:
SparkleDuck said:

noble ambitions? LOL Pretty sure Hitler thought he was doing what he did for noble ambitions too and it worked for him for the time being too.
Nothing shows noble ambitions more than sacrificing children to demons for your countries prosperity. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I'll have a lot o fun when Hyakkimaru kills that brat. The salt of Tahomaru fans in this thread will be delicious.

It was very satisfying when he chopped Tahomaru's minions arms off in this episode. They sure got what they deserved.

Chill on the edge. Also, MANY people view the greater good as more important than a few individual lives. What Daigo did benefited way more people than it harmed. I don't necessarily agree with his ambitions, but it's pretty understandable why some would. There's a reason why Fate/Zero is held in such high regard, half of its plot is literally focused on this topic: is it better to sacrifice a few for the greater good? It's in no way comparable to Hitler. Hitler didn't make it so his people weren't starving and dying at insane rates by killing Jews. You're making really bad comparisons.
Jun 3, 2019 11:02 PM
May 2016
SparkleDuck said:
ninka22 said:

Chill on the edge. Also, MANY people view the greater good as more important than a few individual lives. What Daigo did benefited way more people than it harmed. I don't necessarily agree with his ambitions, but it's pretty understandable why some would. There's a reason why Fate/Zero is held in such high regard, half of its plot is literally focused on this topic: is it better to sacrifice a few for the greater good? It's in no way comparable to Hitler. Hitler didn't make it so his people weren't starving and dying at insane rates by killing Jews. You're making really bad comparisons.

I don't know what I should argue with a person that thinks sacrificing innocent children to demons is justified
the road to hell is paved with good intentions, indeed. That's where Tahomaru and his dad are heading at the end of this anime.

Jun 3, 2019 11:12 PM

Oct 2008
Damn! another brutal episode!
White horse got blasted to pieces!
The 2 loyal servants of Tahomaru got wrecked by Hyakkimaru plus both of them has been but one arm! this is really the peak of gore!
5/5!

wew! and this time we got a resurrected flaming unicorn..i mean white flaming demon horse! lolz for sure that would be a badass mode of transportation for Hyakkimaru!
oh i get it! lol at the Rapidash reference!
matias067Jun 3, 2019 11:20 PM

Jun 3, 2019 11:20 PM
Sep 2010
For real, the show has been pushing the morally gray theme HARD. I’m surprised some folks here are so shook. Pretty much everybody except maybe Dororo and the other kid characters have done bad things for the greater good. If you’re looking for moustache-twirling baddies, you’re watching the wrong show.

And for the record, Daigo had no idea what the demons were going to take upon striking their deal.
Jun 3, 2019 11:44 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Yautja said:
This is getting worse and worse, and more generic and generic; the morality issues are becoming more inane, and boring. It's trying too hard and making a caricature level of "both are wrong / right" kind of shit. I kind of wish this was split in two cours so I could give the first cour the higher ranking is deserves, and this cour the shit ranking it deserves.

I have always enjoyed that most japanese fiction tries to look at things from both sides of the equation and not paint everything in a binary, black and white, evil and good kind of way that most western fiction directed at youth/young adults does. Morally grey character are more interesting.
That being said, yes sometimes they go overboard and like you say reach a caricature level of right and wrong, and specially giving those in the wrong, a series of motivations and background that gives them an easy out for their failings. This has detracted of my enjoyment from some manga like recently Attack on Titan and some others. Dororo is slowly going there.

I don't know how much of this unconsciously stems from Japan's role in the last world war. Unlike Germany, they have never had a proper nationwide policy of contrition and educated their population on what transpired.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 3, 2019 11:59 PM

Apr 2019
Very good episode the fight against tahomaru and his guard was great. Can't wait to see the ending.
Jun 4, 2019 12:08 AM
Dec 2018
Excelent episode!!
I'm glad that Hyakkimaru actually have another reason for him getting his body back, guess what will happen if he never met Dororo though 🤔
The action made me on the edge of my chair! Also that kinda unexpected Hyakki will be that angry and even cut his enemy's body... Mutsu is actually a good girl, even her death flag because his illness was obvious, I still can't saw her hurt like that ;_;
Now I'm giving up to happy ending btw, we even don't what is happy ending in this series after all
Jun 4, 2019 12:38 AM
Apr 2016
kater_tot said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Ah that makes sense. I might sound really stupid here but how do u know that Hyakki is protected by Buddha?

He was protected by Buddha when he was born - the idol at mother's chamber lost its head, and in turn the demons could not take Hyakkimaru's head. Up until the episode when his mother tried to commit suicide the blessing of Buddha was inside the said statuette. It was shown several times.
Jun 4, 2019 12:41 AM
Apr 2016
Farabeuf said:
Yautja said:

I have always enjoyed that most japanese fiction tries to look at things from both sides of the equation and not paint everything in a binary, black and white, evil and good kind of way that most western fiction directed at youth/young adults does. Morally grey character are more interesting.
That being said, yes sometimes they go overboard and like you say reach a caricature level of right and wrong, and specially giving those in the wrong, a series of motivations and background that gives them an easy out for their failings. This has detracted of my enjoyment from some manga like recently Attack on Titan and some others. Dororo is slowly going there.

I don't know how much of this unconsciously stems from Japan's role in the last world war. Unlike Germany, they have never had a proper nationwide policy of contrition and educated their population on what transpired.

They are kind of doing the "war is bad" theme with every third entry in the industry. That's something. If anything, at least Japanese art is free from warmongering... unless you consider something so generic it classifies as entertainment instead.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.