Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think the next golden age of anime will ever come again?

New
Apr 1, 2019 1:25 AM
Jun 2017
2019 has a great lineup so far but i think it's still can't be called the golden age of anime imo. We have great new anime this season like tate no yuusha, promised neverland, etc. Other than that are just sequels from few years back like opm s2, mob psycho s2, konosuba movie, code geass, dororo, etc. So i think i can't count it as golden age of anime. What do you guys think? If not, why? Or do you think that golden age of anime never exist? Let me hear your opinion.
PitunovApr 1, 2019 4:11 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 2019 1:26 AM

Oct 2017
Pitunov said:
2019 has a great lineup so far but i think it's still can't be called the golden age of anime imo. We have great new anime this season like tate no yuusha, promised neverland, etc. Other than that are just sequels from few years back like opm s2, mob psycho s2, konosuba movie, code geass, dororo, etc. So i think i can't count it as golden age of anime. What do you guys think? If not, why? And when is your golden age of anime? For me, the golden age of anime is between 2006 to 2007 When haruhi, TTGL, code geass, and many other great anime first came out in between that year.

Personally I don't believe the golden age of anime will come back lol.
Apr 1, 2019 1:38 AM

Jan 2015
mentioning ttgl as part of the golden age LOL

but i dont think it will ever come back
Apr 1, 2019 1:38 AM

May 2015
Just wait another 10 years and see what period will pass the nostalgia test.
Apr 1, 2019 1:41 AM

Oct 2009
There is no such thing called golden age of anime, what exist is a cycle of boom and burst.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 1, 2019 1:43 AM
Jun 2017
BestBoiEren said:
mentioning ttgl as part of the golden age LOL

but i dont think it will ever come back
well i still think it's a great anime though and there's a lot of people think the same way as mine but If you didn't like it that's fine.
Apr 1, 2019 2:09 AM
Oct 2013
@Pitunov I´ll explain it kindly once since you haven´t come to this conclusion and listened to the gibberish some idiots spouted.

2009 isn´t the golden age of Anime. "The Golden Age of Anime" is a made up term fanatics spout whenever they try to overhype "their personal" favorite year or span of time in which their personal favorite Anime came out.

Usually it´s the time those guys get into Anime, those people are teenagers around 15-19 years old and at the age where they found out that the cartoons they watched as kids were from Japan all along and that there are different cartoons that tell their stories in a very foreign way compared to their own culture. And usually around that age they found one they conisder to be "mature"
or "adult" because it has violence and blood in t and scheming and is far better animated than Pokemon or DBZ because it´s only 12-24 episodes long
instead of 300 and took a year to make before it was released.

So by default every "golden age" as some idiots proclaimed them to be consists of an individual timespan be it a singular year like 2009 or the 80´s , the 90´s the early 2000´s (2001-2005) those idiots got into their personal favorite Anime.

TL DR: There is no Golden Age, people call whenever their favorite Anime came out Golden Age and because their friends agree with them they think it´s universally accepted.
Apr 1, 2019 2:11 AM
Jun 2017
Pylia said:
From my perspective, thinking about an era there has to be a significant trend to be seen, also has there to pass a bit more time than 1-2 years to call it an era which is why I'd disagree with '06/'07 being an era, but a "great year" if you think so instead.

I will go with the late '90s to early '00s, which were significant for many interesting, creative anime, following the "trend" EVA's success made possible.

If we're going by your thought of era then we're already had/ have one since the last years had some of the greatest anime to offer if you ask me, or my favorites.
If we're going with by my opinion of the era, think it still is possible, even if by lower chance, since the market continues to follow trends and that for years to come, there only has to be one that changes the production landscape into a favorable.

I'm quite new to make this kind of topic and my first language is not english so thank you for correcting my caption!

For your opinion i can agree, 90's have big anime like evangelion that makes a lot evolution to the anime industry based on what i've heard and yeah i think it's possible too but maybe not for now. I certainly hope i can experience that era again though.
Apr 1, 2019 2:13 AM

Dec 2017
I think this year has a lot of quality anime but it's still nothing compared to the popularity of death note, code geass, ttgl etc.
I think its really hard for next golden age to come. For golden age, it needs some pioneering anime like death note.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 1, 2019 2:15 AM
Nov 2018
Isterio said:
@Pitunov I´ll explain it kindly once since you haven´t come to this conclusion and listened to the gibberish some idiots spouted.

2009 isn´t the golden age of Anime. "The Golden Age of Anime" is a made up term fanatics spout whenever they try to overhype "their personal" favorite year or span of time in which their personal favorite Anime came out.

Usually it´s the time those guys get into Anime, those people are teenagers around 15-19 years old and at the age where they found out that the cartoons they watched as kids were from Japan all along and that there are different cartoons that tell their stories in a very foreign way compared to their own culture. And usually around that age they found one they conisder to be "mature"
or "adult" because it has violence and blood in t and scheming and is far better animated than Pokemon or DBZ because it´s only 12-24 episodes long

So by default every "golden age" as some idiots proclaimed them to be consists of an individual timespan be it a singular year like 2009 or the 80´s , the 90´s the early 2000´s (2001-2005) those idiots got into their personal favorite Anime.

TL DR: There is no Golden Age, people call whenever their favorite Anime came out Golden Age and because their friends agree with them they think it´s universally accepted.

I can agree with you a 100% on that one
Apr 1, 2019 2:34 AM

Oct 2018
Nope, it won't come again. Partly due to the average attention span of anime viewers nowadays barely extending past a season and partly due to the massive amounts of shows that are produced every season compared to the amount that was produced a decade ago. Ofcourse there are still great anime coming out, but most of them are "forgotten" within two seasons. People only talk about the new, shiny things, a golden age would be a period that people would consistently talk about.

Beyond that the term Golden Age itself is highly subjective, not everyone likes the same kind of things and with the growth of the western anime community I doubt we will ever reach a point where the majority of fans reaches a consensus on what the best shows are. Not only that, but newer anime fans tend to regard anything new very highly, just look at the MAL scores of recent anime.
All according to keikaku

Read my terrible fanfictions here

Apr 1, 2019 3:04 AM
Jul 2018
You mean Golden Age in terms of popularity?

In that sense I consider the golden age the 70s and 80s, add also the 90s to a degree, when whole families would sit together to watch their favorite series. Similar to cartoons like the early Simpsons seasons. This would be similar to an anime series getting a primetime slot at the most popular nationwide channel, pre-digital streaming and downloading era.

While now you have this fragmented TV market aimed at specific age groups and demographic. So it is not possible to reach that level.
Apr 1, 2019 3:20 AM

Nov 2016
Personally, I don't believe in the concept of a Golden Era. People who claim time xxxx was the real deal, are usually just too blinded by nostalgia and make their decision based on some fond memories. I think that this isn't exactly a good basis to tackle this topic. I mean, no matter which year or decade you look at, there will always be at least a handful of great title and changes in style or certain trends aside, it's almost impossible to weigh the quality of entire time periods against each other.

Sure, I could just go ahead and watch dozens of anime from all years and try to calculate an average meanscore, but it doesn't work that way. How we think or feel about something can't be expressed with mere numbers, that's at least how I see it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2019 3:21 AM
Oct 2013
petran79 said:

In that sense I consider the golden age the 70s and 80s, add also the 90s to a degree, when whole families would sit together to watch their favorite series. Similar to cartoons like the early Simpsons seasons. This would be similar to an anime series getting a primetime slot at the most popular nationwide channel, pre-digital streaming and downloading era.

While now you have this fragmented TV market aimed at specific age groups and demographic. So it is not possible to reach that level.

I don´t knowt if there is an universally agreed upon golden age of Anime in that manner. But there is a golden age of Manga that spans the mid 80´s too mid 90´s which is considered the golden age of Shounen Jump.

Because after a severe decline in interest for Manga the medium was revitalized through the inception of Dragon Ball and it´s contemporarys, reaching up to that point unparalleled success, leveling the ground for the market we have today.
It´s more of an economical term rather than a judge of quality.
Similar to how americas golden age refers to an economic boom
Apr 1, 2019 3:30 AM
Mar 2016
Personally I think the Golden Age was the 80's and 90's when anime blew up globally and they had free reign to do anything because of the money they had. Animation was also better in terms of realism.
Sadly I don't think those days will ever happen again.
Apr 1, 2019 3:41 AM

Apr 2014
There hasn't been a golden age of anime, and there never will be one. There will always be trash coming out, which we filter out of our memory. There were just as many trash shows in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s as there are now, and it's not gonna change.
Apr 1, 2019 3:45 AM
Jan 2019
Don't know about golden age but the golden year was 2011 man look all the anime of this year
Apr 1, 2019 3:56 AM

Feb 2018
Everyone's has a different favorite time period for anime, and I believe that also depends a lot on nostalgia, and their age when they got into anime.
Apr 1, 2019 3:58 AM

May 2018
There was a golden age?
Maybe from merchandise sales perspective...
alshuApr 1, 2019 4:38 AM
Apr 1, 2019 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
Yes the Golden age was in Berserk 1997 series
Apr 1, 2019 4:08 AM

Jun 2015
Isterio said:
petran79 said:

I don´t knowt if there is an universally agreed upon golden age of Anime in that manner.
Yes, there is one from 1974 to the early 80s that sets that year as a turning point with Yamato gaining the following of millions of young adults in Japan and the success of Heidi that lead the whole WMT to be a thing.

Mainly because it's the first and most significantly flourishing period in the industry, setting the tone for everything after, not because of total number of series produced.
Apr 1, 2019 4:32 AM

Mar 2019
What exactly was the last 'golden age"?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Apr 1, 2019 4:41 AM
Oct 2013
Unowen said:
Yes, there is one from 1974 to the early 80s that sets that year as a turning point with Yamato gaining the following of millions of young adults in Japan and the success of Heidi that lead the whole WMT to be a thing.

Mainly because it's the first and most significantly flourishing period in the industry, setting the tone for everything after, not because of total number of series produced.

Sounds reasonable to me. As far as such terms are cocerned. It depends on who coined it and if the following generations nigh unanimously accepted it. Basicly if the term has taken root within japanese language it can be refered as such. However if only a handful of weaboos agreed upon it without national or global impact it´s worthless.
Apr 1, 2019 4:44 AM

Jan 2018
I don't believe there ever has been, or ever will be a true "golden age" of anime. It's too subjective. Die-hard fans of the classics will tell you one thing, while others think that 2000-2010 was the best time period. Some will argue that we're in it right now. There's no right or wrong. A "golden age" in this context is just a time period that delivered the most (or best) anime that you, as an individual, enjoyed.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 1, 2019 4:45 AM

Nov 2016
Jese23 said:
Yes the Golden age was in Berserk 1997 series

I knew someone would say that before I opened the thread XD
Apr 1, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2018
Unowen said:

At first Yamato got bad ratings and only cult following...but the TV network recognized the potential and reaired it with better advertising.
Only then it became really popular.

golden age = decent corporate support?

Sphinxter said:
What exactly was the last 'golden age"?

You can find it right next to the last silver and bronze ages...possibly.
alshuApr 1, 2019 7:20 AM
Apr 1, 2019 4:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
If Vinland Saga, Beasters and Dr. Stone, and the other potential groundbreaking new series too just like Yakusoku no Neverland and Kaguya, are adapted just as wonderfully as Death Note, Code Geass and the sort, then most definitely. It’s hard to say at the moment if those that I mentioned above will prevail but there’s always hope.

On a more realistic note though, probably not. I assume you’re referring to either the 2006-08 period or 2011-2013 period, and the biggest difference between now and then is the large sum of increase in anime. This, in turn, means the general anime community is split among the large sum of shows and thus anime nowadays becomes ‘forgotten’ much quicker too as new seasons bring forth some 40+ new shows, sequels included.

Why not just call this year the “Golden Year of Sequels?” by the way?
Because it’s certainly the Golden Year in this respect, if you ask me. Besides, there technically isn’t anything like the ‘Golden Age of Anime’ in the first place as it differs from person to person. But this “Golden Year of Sequels” got to be legit for most, or I daresay everyone, right?

Edit: Something more to reinforce the second paragraph.
Another factor making the widely accepted ‘Golden Age of Anime’ has to do with the episode count too in my opinion. A 24(+) episode show surely mostly leaves a bigger impression and mark than a cour of Episodes, or at least to me.
_MushiRock11_Apr 1, 2019 5:06 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 1, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2014
For me there isn't a golden age of anime. There's anime from many different years that i love.
Apr 1, 2019 5:39 AM

Jul 2013
No, because the one and only golden age was in the 1920s. People here clearly don't understand why anime today is just not quite as good as way way back. We will never have another one my fellow weebs. We need to face the truth of how good the 1920s were.
Apr 1, 2019 6:49 AM

May 2017
When was the "golden age of anime"?
I have never heard about it.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Apr 1, 2019 7:27 AM

Jul 2016
In terms of the actual quality of anime coming out I think we'll get more better individual anime then before since we will always have boundary pushers as well as incredibly talented people in the industry right now. However, since the industry talents are now mostly concentrated in few studios, the overall number of great anime coming out is decreasing. We might get another golden age when a new wave of talent spills out in the whole industry.

zBluee said:
When was the "golden age of anime"?
I have never heard about it.

It's a term used to describe periods of time when almost every anime coming out was good and memorable and anime as a whole was popular and well-regarded. It's very subjective. I consider the last golden age to be 2005-2007 but we had a mini-golden age from 2011-2014.
Apr 1, 2019 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
If you go by the size of the industry and the number of shows that are being churned out, then this right now is the golden age.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Apr 1, 2019 7:32 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Every year is golden age that has some great gems in it.

Does this work enough?
Apr 1, 2019 9:51 AM

Sep 2016

Nope, Golden Age ended when studios started using CG animations all over the place and they won't stop because it saves so much money.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 1, 2019 10:02 AM

Sep 2015
There have to be an anime crash so the medium can reborn. The thing is, the market is fundamentally different (became far too mainstream) so it's much harder to fail that hard.
Apr 1, 2019 10:27 AM
Apr 2016
: there's no golden age at all.. but I can just mention that 2018 was great, and so memorable..
Apr 1, 2019 7:53 PM
Oct 2018
azzuRe said:
There is no such thing called golden age of anime, what exist is a cycle of boom and burst.

Yeah this- there's no single "Golden Age", but there's good years/periods and bad years (which probably changes depending what genres and styles of anime you're into).

And you need time to spot which year is which- often the big seasonal hits disappear into obscurity, and the titles that people ignored at the time end up being the noted 'classics'.
Apr 1, 2019 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
What is Golden age xD? and has it happened before??
Apr 1, 2019 8:29 PM

Dec 2016
Isterio said:

Totally this.

There's no such thing as a "golden age" in anime, there's only "my favorite period in anime which is when most of my favorites were released".
Apr 1, 2019 9:22 PM
Aug 2013
Anime has grown in popularity, which means that more anime can get away with being mediocre. In the 80's & 90's only the good anime made it into the mainstream, a lot of the ideas were original back then but now just about all the stories have been overdone and you now come across cliche anime. You also have to look at what influenced anime during that time such as trends and movies in the 80's & 90's. An example is dragonball which was heavily influenced by journey to the west and monkey magic tv series or cowboy bebop which had star wars influences.

Anime is more popular than ever but it's changed a lot to stay relevant with it's time and it's fans. Some of the best anime have came out in the last 10 years examples being Parasyte, Mob psycho, Boku no Hero, Made in abyss, Full Metal alchemist brotherhood, One punch man, Steins gate, Dragonball Super, Fairy tail, Hunter x hunter 2011, Jojo's bizarre adventure, Kekkai Sensen, Seven Deadly Sins, Attack on Titan, Sword art online, tokyo ghoul, black clover, fate series, toriko, space dandy, etc

Plus it's cool that some anime from the 90's are still airing like naruto, one piece & pokemon
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 2, 2019 6:01 AM

May 2018
raisin-kun said:

It's a term used to describe periods of time when almost every anime coming out was good and memorable and anime as a whole was popular and well-regarded. It's very subjective. I consider the last golden age to be 2005-2007 but we had a mini-golden age from 2011-2014.

I can point you enough garbage (even some high budget productions) from the same periods and your definition will be invalid.

The thing is that you make your conclusion on the basis of the shows you have watched from those periods also on the basis what you consider good or/and important.
Someone with with more or less experience watching different titles than you could make a different conclusion but there should be some sort of consensus between all of you to call certain period a "golden age".

The other way is to have some sort of authority - a group of anime critics which general opinion is wildly accepted...I would be surprised seeing that happening.

Personally I don't care about "golden ages" - we have good and bad stuff in and outside them.
Apr 2, 2019 8:01 AM

Oct 2017
Isterio said:

I mean in 2009 anime was literally dying so that year definitely would be hard to argue that it was indeed a golden age. Though again it depends on what you count as a golden age, popularity, your subjective quality, standards of the industry etc. It just is a really subjective term that can mean a lot of different things to different people. I do hear the 80's and 90's brought up because of the massive money influx into OVA's and shows (allowing for more creativity) though that was mainly due to Japan going through their economic boom. Honestly the industry couldn't be sustained anyway so I personally wouldn't consider it a golden age.

Still if we were to judge it by popularity I mean anime is only growing more and more popular internationally by the day so you could argue it has yet to actually truly hit its peak in that regard and therefore its golden age. Ultimately though yeah it just is a meaningless term that is usually just used by those trying to prop up their favorite era of anime. Since I personally like pretty much most anime eras I don't really feel there is a defined Golden Age for anime.

BilboBaggins365Apr 2, 2019 8:10 AM
Apr 2, 2019 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
an age is not defined by one particular year.

Considering how more anime come out now than ever and it is also more popular now than ever before,

Couldnt the 2010s be considered the golden age of anime. Well i guess golden is usually for whatever comesearly on, so like the 70s i guess
silver age would likely be the 90s
and i guess we are now in the bronze age? maybe it should be the platinum age considering the popularity increase
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 2, 2019 2:34 PM

May 2009
You can't tell a golden age until at least a few years after it's passed.

Preferably a few decades.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 2, 2019 2:37 PM

Mar 2017
golden age of anime won't come until Piracy is done for
Apr 2, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2015
We're in the golden age of anime tho.
Apr 2, 2019 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
MetaThPr4h said:
We're in the golden age of anime tho.
This. Last year was pretty great, and we've gotten some of the best shows of all time in the last 10 years.
IcecreamDrew said:
golden age of anime won't come until Piracy is done for
How is this relevant? What I see most often referred to as the "Golden Age of Anime" was the 80's and 90's, and back then piracy existed and anime made a shitton less money than today.
Apr 2, 2019 2:59 PM

Jan 2017
Golden age? We're already there.

For real - pretty much any time can be anyone's individual golden age - for me, I might put it at 2011-2012, and point at how my favourite shows came out around then, and that was when some of the really good series really got going, etc. etc. But you know? Someone could just as easily point at 2018 and say, "That year? Look at how many incredible anime came out then. This is a golden age, no doubt about it." And they'd be right.

Anime is more popular than it's ever been. This means we're getting a lot of minimum-effort shows each year, it's true. But it also means we're getting a lot of really good shows as well.
Apr 2, 2019 3:07 PM

Jul 2016
The golden age of Anime are the 90's to be honest. There are a few 2000's and 2010's Anime that are exceptional, but 90's Anime was mostly good. It is the golden age.
Apr 2, 2019 3:27 PM

Aug 2018
People always tend to forget the bad shows of the past and only remember the positive ones; every "era" had their good and bad shows, just as it happens today. imo, anime has not ever been as popular as it is now, meaning that, consequently, more anime is produced nowadays.

So, is it fair to not even contemplate the possibility of this era being a "golden" one?
Enjoy the ride...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

13 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
36 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
4 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

984 by subahokke »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.