Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 11, 2019 7:21 PM
Dec 2017
Another really solid episode! I was pretty annoyed with Tahomaru before this episode since he didn't really serve any purpose other than a spoiled rich kid with great eyebrows, but after seeing him solving a conflict within his father's land makes me actually want to see him become lord. Heck, he was so interesting in this episode that I was almost disappointed when Hyakkimaru (whom I love to bits) took over because dangit Hyakki, let your brother have his moment!
The bodyguards Hyogo and Mutsu were also really cool. They almost act like Tahomaru's surrogate parents where Daigo is lacking. It makes me think of Lan Fan and Fu from FMA.
Also please correct me if I missed something, but did Hyogo somehow manage to get out of the crabby monster's mouth when Hyakkimaru swooped in? I thought he died but then I saw him in the boat :/
Mar 11, 2019 7:41 PM
Sep 2017
Truly enjoying this show every week! Was very excited to see Hyakki & Taho so close to each other - it’s kind of a shame Taho didn’t see Hyakki’s medallion! I know this could go either way - they may end up enemies, but I’m reallllly hoping they get to know each other & team up against a-hole dad!
I didn’t like Taho before, but he’s shown himself to be a good guy who cares about his people, as well as being brave & strong. His dad definitely doesn’t give him enough credit. It’s also kinda understandable how his mom basically ignoring him most of his life would get to him, & cause him to try to get her attention, which made him seem like a brat before now.
Had to LOL at people’s comments here about a certain appendage that Hyakki is apparently NOT missing! Hahahahaha!
Mar 11, 2019 7:42 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

I kinda thought Tahomaru would be more bratty but it turns out he's a genuine guy who really wants to help his people. Took quite the liking to him as this episode progressed.

It was cool to see Tahomaru and co trap the beast and attempt to take it down. While Hyakkimaru might have stolen the spotlight at the very end I'm sure Tahomaru's good intentions will live on in the people.

The final scene with Tahomaru just riding by on the boat looking at Hyakkimaru was quite poignant.
Mar 11, 2019 8:02 PM

Aug 2018
Golden_Scarlett said:
wot's that gif from

It's just a gif of mega man hitting moles.
Mar 11, 2019 8:03 PM
Dec 2016
btw, Mutsu and Hyogo are probably sons of Tahoumaru's wet nurse. That kind of people are called menoto-go.
Samurai raise their children with their wet nurses' sons. They are vassals but sometimes young lords' best friends.
It's like Reinhard and Kircheis in LoGH.

[edit]People on twitter say Mutsu is female. Another reverse trap in this series, lol
e_hobaMar 11, 2019 8:31 PM
Mar 11, 2019 8:05 PM

Jul 2016
damn, it would be nice to have such loyal and long lasting friends like that. even more deserving for hyakkimaru, i think he needs some same age friends - dororo is fine but he's more like a younger bro. although for how he's a man of so few words, he probably wouldn't be able to get any easily. i knew it, they actually met. oh man, i had to replay that. what a frikkin' epic moment, i love this anime and i can't wait for the next episode again
Mar 11, 2019 8:23 PM

Oct 2015
Grub4dos said:
Golden_Scarlett said:
wot's that gif from

It's just a gif of mega man hitting moles.

what anime or game is it from man
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 11, 2019 8:35 PM

Aug 2018
Golden_Scarlett said:

It's mega man from the tv series.
Mar 11, 2019 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
didnt like Tahomaru and felt he's annoying/unlikable since his first appearance. did getting to know him in this episode help change my mind? ....eh not really yet. time will tell.

Golden_Scarlett said:

you dont know Megaman??
Mar 11, 2019 8:57 PM

Nov 2016
Is the two sword on Hyakki hands are spiritual thing? It can easily slay monster than any sword tho
Mar 11, 2019 9:03 PM
Jan 2019
revyHOLiC said:
Is the two sword on Hyakki hands are spiritual thing? It can easily slay monster than any sword tho

I think it's because the superhuman strength of Hyakkimaru so he can easily defeat monsters
Mar 11, 2019 9:50 PM

Oct 2015
dannymilk said:
didnt like Tahomaru and felt he's annoying/unlikable since his first appearance. did getting to know him in this episode help change my mind? ....eh not really yet. time will tell.

Golden_Scarlett said:

you dont know Megaman??

i know it, idk the excat megaman its from plz
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 11, 2019 11:38 PM
Feb 2017
I believe Hyakkimaru got his taste buds back. He clearly didn't have them (he tried to eat raw fish and crab even though he knew someone could cook it for him). Also, Hyakkimaru and Dororo were talking about food early in the episode, which is quite foreshadowing to me
Mar 11, 2019 11:40 PM
Jan 2016
Awesome episode!

Interesting episode focusing on Tahoumaru, my impression about him wasn't good, but after this episode i approve, i trully liked him, he is strong and also a good strategist, indeed! His bodyguards were also awesome!

At the end Hyakkimaru gave him a hand, and they finaly meet each other!

I suspect it will become more interesting from now on!
Mar 12, 2019 12:05 AM

Aug 2012
N0rth_Stardust said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
1. No part of himself gained back this time?
2. again trying to make H father better than he is
3. H brother also got a new personality, less wicked

It is not a bad incarnation of the story but it still bothers me the fact it tries to justify H father actions

I think you are misinterpreting narrative techniques. Firstly, we are simply being given character development that shows a side of Tahomaru we didnt see previously in the anime before. Or are you talking about in comparison to the original? If so, I think it's rather unfair to mark the show's current quality with the only qualifier being how closely it resembles the work its adapting.

Secondly, with Daigo, the show itself is not trying to "justify" the actions of the father. This episode was told in Tahomaru's perspective, and with his Warped view due to his upbringing and bias towards the man in question. He is a unreliable episode protagonist, nothing more. Also, you claimed that this is somehow happening again. Care to elaborate on the other instances? Because, if you've been watching, every episode thus far has illustrated the consequences of Daigo's dealings with demons since ep 1. Whether it be war, poverty or the demons themselves.
1. It was part of the first episode that the deal with the demons was done because his lands were ravaged by natural disasters and famine. In the source material he just wanted to own more land.
2. Tahomaru is made to look as some sort of hero when in fact in the source material he jut wants to prove himself as a warrior and does not care about peasants. He even orders their execution because they dared crossed a border his father created so that they can be with their family.
3. The original source was meant as an attack on the noble samurai image and the daimyo system. It was meant to show how most daimyo were evil little men and how while serving them most samurai became just as evil. The cursed swords japanese myths stem from murders committed for pleasure by samurai as an attempt to white wash their image. This version tries to make us empathize with them and make us question if we would do the same in their place and is wrong
nightcrawlercypMar 12, 2019 12:17 AM
Mar 12, 2019 12:32 AM

May 2015
It's a family seal, but Hyakkimaru doesn't even know how it looks like. Dororo might lead him right to them...

It sucks that neither of Tahomaru's parents have eyes for him. He's a neglected child which is why he tends to behave a little arrogantly. At least he means well for his people.

Darn it. You should have cut the other pincer off first!

Lol, big X-cut by Hyakkimaru. Tahomaru looks at it and "That was definitely not me."

I was expecting Hyakkimaru to get his arms back after beating the crab, but I guess it was just a regular demon.

Tahomaru sees Hyakkimaru for the first time. The inevitable confrontation is nearing!
TarotistMar 12, 2019 12:36 AM
Mar 12, 2019 12:33 AM

May 2016
and Tahomaru saves the da.... I mean Hyakkimaru.
Mar 12, 2019 12:40 AM

Apr 2016
I expected something more when they both met.

Well, lets wait for next week
Mar 12, 2019 1:20 AM

Mar 2019
Good episode, nice to see the little brother get some air time this episode. And they finally meet at the end! I wonder how the family reunion will go down once they realise who each other is.
Mar 12, 2019 2:02 AM

Dec 2017
As many have said, Tahōmaru took the spotlight in this episode. Nice! This episode really changed how we view him very drastically.

e_hoba said:
This episode is vaguely based on the real history and geography of Ishikawa.
Ishikawa = ishi/stone and kawa/river, thus a rocky delta area. The tributaries appear and disappear at random and people were troubled with flood disasters and drought. It's well-drained sandy land so people needed even more water. That's why water system has been a critical problem to the rulers.
The problem was solved by a big canal project in Edo era and a dam project in Showa era.
It is also true that Ishikawa has some lagoons alongside the coast.
Oh, that's interesting! So the series actually has historical aspect to it, I see... I thought it was solely the use of the time setting.

Drunken_angel said:
Hyakki's baby brother is so awesome, despite his asshole father and unstable mother, he turned out honorable and kind <3

....Which instantly makes me think shit's gonna hit the fan at some point and they're not gonna get to enjoy any kind of brotherly love xD It's just too good to be true, two briliant bros fighting against their monstrous father ... oh, well, a gurl can dream!

I wonder if Hyakki's mom will ever see him again ..
Does hoping the same make me less manly. 😅
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 12, 2019 2:47 AM

Mar 2017
Daigo is getting desperate. Tahoumaru wants to know the whole truth about the "baby".
Tahoumaru seems to be a pretty good guy. He was quite powerful too. His strategy wasn't bad either. Though it didn't work out in the end.
So Tahoumaru and Hyakkimaru meets. Hyakkimaru had the family crest on him too. Guess they didn't see it.
Mar 12, 2019 7:17 AM
Jan 2019
Apparently Tahomaru is not like his father's unfortunate. So far it has proved to be a good and intelligent type 👍.
Ahhhhhhh! (cries of crazy bitch, lol). I can not believe it!. Hyakkimaru and his brother crossed paths. I was shocked for a moment. I can not wait to see the next episode.
Mar 12, 2019 8:49 AM

Apr 2016
And here i thought that Tahomaru is a cunt.
Mar 12, 2019 8:50 AM

Jan 2018
electromagneto said:
Does hoping the same make me less manly. 😅

of course not !! :D
Mar 12, 2019 9:23 AM

Jun 2015
So at last, Tahomaru meets his brother. In an original chapter.
Mar 12, 2019 9:51 AM

Dec 2014
so like how did hyakki maru reach there...hmmm
Mar 12, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2016
Love Tahomaru!! Very cool character and personality. He's also so handsome! :3
I'm excited to know what will happen between the him and Hyakkimaru.
Mar 12, 2019 1:21 PM
Nov 2009
Nii-san to the rescue! Tahomaru got cool points in this episode.
Mar 12, 2019 2:25 PM

Feb 2007
It's rather interesting how his secrecy really bit the lord in the ass this time and despite revering him so much, Tahoumaru was technically directly working on undoing his accomplishments. Well, seeing how he did show up in the end, one could assume Hyakkimaru would have taken care of it in either case, so it's not quite as bad for the old man, but that's what happened nonetheless.
Mar 12, 2019 3:07 PM

Aug 2017
It seems that the show is getting interesting after this episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 12, 2019 3:32 PM
Mar 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
N0rth_Stardust said:

I think you are misinterpreting narrative techniques. Firstly, we are simply being given character development that shows a side of Tahomaru we didnt see previously in the anime before. Or are you talking about in comparison to the original? If so, I think it's rather unfair to mark the show's current quality with the only qualifier being how closely it resembles the work its adapting.

Secondly, with Daigo, the show itself is not trying to "justify" the actions of the father. This episode was told in Tahomaru's perspective, and with his Warped view due to his upbringing and bias towards the man in question. He is a unreliable episode protagonist, nothing more. Also, you claimed that this is somehow happening again. Care to elaborate on the other instances? Because, if you've been watching, every episode thus far has illustrated the consequences of Daigo's dealings with demons since ep 1. Whether it be war, poverty or the demons themselves.
1. It was part of the first episode that the deal with the demons was done because his lands were ravaged by natural disasters and famine. In the source material he just wanted to own more land.
2. Tahomaru is made to look as some sort of hero when in fact in the source material he jut wants to prove himself as a warrior and does not care about peasants. He even orders their execution because they dared crossed a border his father created so that they can be with their family.
3. The original source was meant as an attack on the noble samurai image and the daimyo system. It was meant to show how most daimyo were evil little men and how while serving them most samurai became just as evil. The cursed swords japanese myths stem from murders committed for pleasure by samurai as an attempt to white wash their image. This version tries to make us empathize with them and make us question if we would do the same in their place and is wrong

Not necessarily wrong, imo. Haven't read the manga, but from what you wrote its conflict seems rather black & white'ish. War is a bitch, of course, and power does corrupt people, but not everybody kills just out of malice or for sadistic pleasure. This adaptation took a different approach to the main conflicts, making them more complex, and it works for me. Like, in the first episode you can't really tell is it good or bad to sacrifice your own soul and the life of your son for saving your land and thousands of starving people (regardless of the evil aura and greed for power, the fact is a fact). I like it, the way the prosperity of their land is inversely proportional to Hyakkimaru's success in returning his body, makes it all the more complicated (idk if it is the same in the original). Tahoumaru being an essentially good boy with a pinch of arrogance obligatory for his status isn't a bad thing either since it makes the potential conflict less predictable and encourages us to look at this story from different angles, and i'm all in for this kind of ambiguity.

(Added: that said, i do understand your point that changing the main message of the story may be wrong and kind of unfair to its original author. Written above is just my personal preferences in storytelling.)

Actually i started to sympathize with Tahoumaru right from the start: him feeling unloved by his own mother, desperately trying to make her recognize his efforts and yet getting nothing... I mean, lady, can't you go and pray for Hyakki AFTER you give some attention to your other child?? Even after Tahou blurts that it's him, not war, she seems not to like and she answers with "What mother does not love her child?", her thoughts instantly turn to Hyakki, and Tahou sees that distant look on her face again. Ugh, painful.

At this point i like both brothers so much that it makes me fear the next episodes. I'd like them to talk and sort things out and then have a brotherly hug, but then there will be no story :)
seafireflyMar 12, 2019 3:52 PM
Mar 12, 2019 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
And the brothers meet. Its cool that they somewhat teamed up there.
Mar 12, 2019 10:09 PM

Aug 2012
seafirefly said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Not necessarily wrong, imo. Haven't read the manga, but from what you wrote its conflict seems rather black & white'ish. War is a bitch, of course, and power does corrupt people, but not everybody kills just out of malice or for sadistic pleasure. This adaptation took a different approach to the main conflicts, making them more complex, and it works for me. Like, in the first episode you can't really tell is it good or bad to sacrifice your own soul and the life of your son for saving your land and thousands of starving people (regardless of the evil aura and greed for power, the fact is a fact). I like it, the way the prosperity of their land is inversely proportional to Hyakkimaru's success in returning his body, makes it all the more complicated (idk if it is the same in the original). Tahoumaru being an essentially good boy with a pinch of arrogance obligatory for his status isn't a bad thing either since it makes the potential conflict less predictable and encourages us to look at this story from different angles, and i'm all in for this kind of ambiguity.

(Added: that said, i do understand your point that changing the main message of the story may be wrong and kind of unfair to its original author. Written above is just my personal preferences in storytelling.)

Actually i started to sympathize with Tahoumaru right from the start: him feeling unloved by his own mother, desperately trying to make her recognize his efforts and yet getting nothing... I mean, lady, can't you go and pray for Hyakki AFTER you give some attention to your other child?? Even after Tahou blurts that it's him, not war, she seems not to like and she answers with "What mother does not love her child?", her thoughts instantly turn to Hyakki, and Tahou sees that distant look on her face again. Ugh, painful.

At this point i like both brothers so much that it makes me fear the next episodes. I'd like them to talk and sort things out and then have a brotherly hug, but then there will be no story :)
1. despite the message problem I agree the show is good even with tge different approach
2. The reason why she does not show the love for Tahomaru thus much is detailed in the original source. H Father once he got rid of him told the mother: I do not care about your grief you will give me an heir to follow in my footsteps. And he started working on it right away. Also he raised Tahomaro mostly himself because he did not want his mother to soften him up. So due to tge circumstances Tahomaru become way too much like his father which his mother hates. Now with this episode this does not match anymore so I wonder how they will fix it.
Mar 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
Tahomaru's episode huh...but Hyakkimaru takes all the glory and the last hit to the "Bakemonogani"!
5/5.

Mar 13, 2019 12:38 AM

May 2015
He's reached his father. Next episode is hype.

Mar 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Jul 2016
Sushantbro said:
Don't know why but I have a different feeling while seeing dororo than before.

What the fuck dude
Mar 13, 2019 3:22 AM

Jan 2019
This episode was great. It was very satisfying to see that Tahomaru is much more than just "the bad guy's son", being skilled in swordsmanship and strategy, also caring for his companions as well as his people.

Recently I had my point of view changed about Daigo (Tahomaru's father and Lord of those lands), about how he went to ask the demons for the revitalization of his lands amidst the poverty and droughts brought by war. He didn't KNOW his son would pay the price, he thought he would pay with his own body for his people's well-being.

But as the Priest warned him, in the beggining of the series, to be careful about maintaning his humanity after the plea to the demons, I assume that his psyche was directly eroded by the powers from hell, thus becoming a character that can laugh at the sight of his firstborn's deformed body, knowing the price had been paid by another.

All of this just reveals to me not the story of revenge against an absolute evil, but the tragic destiny that struck a family, not unlike Mio's or Dororo's story, telling us once more the underlying message that war doesn't benefit anyone, especially those of the peasant class.

Tahomaru's and Hyakkimaru's fateful encounter will be so much harder to watch, but I'm also so excited to see where this path takes us.
Mar 13, 2019 4:58 AM

Jun 2013
Boil that crab and dip it in some spicy butter and drizzle with lemon. Those villagers will be feasting for months.

Tahomaru was such a cutie and Mutsu is a trap. Hyogo is daddy. This was the tale of Hyogo and not Tahomaru. He was so badass. Of course, all three of them were badass. I hope Hyakimaru and Tahomaru will be buddies and not just brothers who don't care about each other or enemies.
BibimbapskiMar 13, 2019 4:47 PM
臭い-
Mar 13, 2019 6:00 AM

Mar 2014
Hatsuyuki said:
Am I going crazy or is the art & animation getting downgraded with every new episode that comes out ?

Yup you're going crazy, this episode was very good in both art and animation.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 13, 2019 7:19 AM

Jul 2011
1st encounter between them, oh dear.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 13, 2019 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
Oh no crab-kun
What does "maru" mean? Both of their names have it in them.
Mar 13, 2019 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
Giant enemy crab xD
Mar 13, 2019 1:02 PM

Dec 2015
So did anyone notice the continuity error?

Mar 13, 2019 1:23 PM

Jan 2019
Savasvania said:
Oh no crab-kun

From what I've seen from manga and anime in general, I'd say it's just a common suffix for boys' names, especially during the feudal period.
Mar 13, 2019 7:42 PM

Jul 2016
Interesting episode. We got more insight into Tahomaru's character and his concerns regarding his father's secret.

Honestly, I was expecting him to be more of a brat but I'm glad I was wrong. So far, he seems to care for his people and although he looks a bit naive/overconfident, I don't think he has any evil intention in his heart.

All in all, it was another entertaining episode.
Mar 14, 2019 4:53 AM

Jun 2016
Tahomaru is pretty cute. That brothers reunion at the end was cool!
Mar 14, 2019 8:14 AM
Dec 2016
Tokorosuke said:
Savasvania said:
Oh no crab-kun

From what I've seen from manga and anime in general, I'd say it's just a common suffix for boys' names, especially during the feudal period.

Maru names were samurai's child names. Most people were given proper names when they came of age. Thus, Tahoumaru is under age. Pets like dogs and hawks or weapons like armors and swords were also named -maru. Ship names are -maru even today.
The origin of maru is quite vague but it was used from the ancient period. Marginal people like social outcasts and ox-carriage boys were given maru names. They didn't change their names even when they grew up. Their hair-style was similar to kids (they didn't shave the bangs.)
A famous historian said that maru names represented spiritual power of mediator roles between the sacred and the profane. Kids, outcasts, ox-carriage boys, weapons, pets, ships, etc. They were mediators.
That kind of origin was probably forgotten in Sengoku period but maru name is an interesting topic.
e_hobaMar 14, 2019 7:10 PM
Mar 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Sep 2017
Good episode. It seems they're making Tahomaru's character more sympathetic than in the manga.
"He's stronger than he ever was, but he looks like he hasn't changed a bit. I didn't know sitting still for such a long time could do that for ya."
Mar 14, 2019 8:25 PM
May 2017
I really like Tahomaru! He's a standup dude and a way better fighter than I thought he would be (though Hyakkirmau had to come thru at the end to show little bro how it's done). It seems that the father is probably going to pit Tahomaru against Hyakkirmaru, and I hope that doesn't lead to a tragic ending for these two. I want them both to live.
Mar 14, 2019 9:29 PM

Sep 2018
His brother is not a bad man though (I thought he is), he's just seeking attention. And they meet!

p.s. when they slice the big crab and the meat appear, I feel hungry haha
erenmeiiMar 15, 2019 6:20 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2019

266 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
Yesterday, 7:36 AM

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.