Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you loved from a genre you typically don't enjoy?

New
Mar 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Jan 2018
Have you ever been surprised to find yourself loving a particular anime of a genre you typically steer clear of, perhaps even to the point of delving deeper into that genre? An example in my own case would have to be my discovery of Yuru Camp as it aired last year. I never gave the SoL genre much of a chance before that point, as the general premise of said shows seemed rather boring, but now it constitutes a large portion of what I spend my time watching.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 10, 2019 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
The closest would be Konosuba. I dislike harem and Kazuma is basically surrounded by girls, even though they don't show romantic interest towards Kazuma, at least until the end of season 1. I don't like season 2 that much since Megumi also seems starting to show interest to him. I don't think I'll still watch the 3rd season if it comes out.
Mar 10, 2019 4:30 PM

Jan 2017
inb4 a wave of Zombieland Saga. But I mean, it got me too - I've never even seen another idol anime, but it was hilarious and engaging.
Mar 10, 2019 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
I never "loved" any anime from my disliked genres, but even though I normally dislike shoujo romances for some reason I enjoyed Itazura na Kiss to the point I even re-watched it. I don't even think it's particularly good, in fact it presents some of the worst shoujo tropes and all the criticism is totally valid and understandable, but for some reason it was just enjoyable to watch and I can't even explain it.

edit: Oh and if you count Monogatari as harem then there's also this. Actually you can even say I loved it, although I'm not sure if it classifies here.
fuyukiMar 10, 2019 5:56 PM
Mar 10, 2019 4:32 PM

Jan 2018
Maurice_5 said:
inb4 a wave of Zombieland Saga. But I mean, it got me too - I've never even seen another idol anime, but it was hilarious and engaging.

I've actually been meaning to give that one a chance! I've also never watched an idol anime of any kind. Is it really that good? :O

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Sep 2018
Barakamon was a great slice of life in which I find most in the genre to be dull. Probably due to the lack of a school setting, and good characters I liked it.
Mar 10, 2019 4:40 PM

Jan 2017
Greyleaf said:
I've actually been meaning to give that one a chance! I've also never watched an idol anime of any kind. Is it really that good? :O

It never quite lives up to its first two episodes - but even so, it remains absolutely hilarious throughout. Great characters, an incredible OP, and it builds towards a climax that is both triumphant and heartwarming. Which I guess is what idol anime should be all about? I don't know.

Regardless - the first 30 seconds will grab you. The first two episodes will lock you in. And the ride as a whole is well worth it.
Mar 10, 2019 4:45 PM

May 2018
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo. I'm not into harem (if I ever watch harem it's reverse), but that show was actually very entertaining and funny.
Mar 10, 2019 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
Haikyuu!! would have to be my pick. I never cared about sports anime because I've never been interested in real-life sports myself. I just picked up Haikyuu!! due to its really high rating on MAL and I really enjoyed it. It was a fun and exciting show from start to finish. Still waiting on season four though.
Mar 10, 2019 4:49 PM

May 2014
Yes, Robot Girlz Z is one of my favourite mecha and I hate mecha.
Mar 10, 2019 5:23 PM

Nov 2017
probably re:zero, i really don't like isekai anime but re:zero is the only one ive been able to really joy and actually get invested in.
Mar 10, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2015
Konosuba for isekai (is no game no life isekai?? o.o ) and barakamon for slice of life.

Uhhh and shimoneta (dub) for whatever the hell it was

~This world is a cruel place~
Mar 10, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2017
Code geass. I am not really fond of the mecha genre but code geass is a masterpiece.
Mar 10, 2019 5:33 PM

Jan 2017
it is said that banana fish is a shoujo so there you go
Mar 10, 2019 5:35 PM

Sep 2018
Honestly, I absolutely despise the shounen genre. That half baked formulaic shit always makes me angry. Yet, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure struck a chord with me. It's by far one of my favorite anime in recent years. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. It's a bit boring in the early parts, but it kicks off in the latter half of Season 1.
Mar 10, 2019 5:49 PM

Aug 2018
Clannad, that show changed my taste on anime. Great show.
Mar 10, 2019 5:56 PM

Dec 2018
Ackerman4Life said:
Konosuba for isekai (is no game no life isekai?? o.o ) and barakamon for slice of life.

Uhhh and shimoneta (dub) for whatever the hell it was

Shimoneta and Konosuba are both fuckin hillarious. And your forum pic is of the best naruto character Itachi! (Alongside Might Guy, the beautiful beast of the leaf, of coarse)

You have excellent taste, I commend you.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 10, 2019 5:59 PM

Dec 2018
Uhh..... the only thing I can say that comes close is Bloom Into You. There aren’t really any genres I’m avoiding (aside from hentai) but that’s the only Yuri title I’ve seen and I’m loving it. Can’t wait for season 2
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 10, 2019 6:04 PM

Sep 2017
Mine would have to be Konosuba. I'm kinda biased because I'd rather watch reverse harem rather than harem, but Konosuba was actually really good. Kazuma definitely made it hilarious, and the girls weren't your typical type of harem girls.
Mar 10, 2019 6:45 PM

Nov 2016
Haibane Renmei from the elitist genre

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Nisekoi
Love Hina

I had a rough start with harems, but I really enjoyed those I've mentioned above.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2019 6:55 PM

Apr 2018
I'm neutral towards harem

Monogatari is my favorite anime
Mar 10, 2019 7:12 PM

May 2009
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?

By its description, this series has the following things that are not my taste:
* jerk protag
* bunnygirl (complete with fanservice)
* contrived games are the focus of the show
* contrived games are used to decide important things
* isekai (I don't mind it per se but I prefer pure fantasy over isekai)

But then I watched it and enjoyed the ride anyway.

I think the excellent OP probably helped. The solid dub job probably helped too.

Yosuga no Sora

I hesitate to say I "love" this show, but I certainly appreciate it a lot for what it is.

Again, here's an "on paper" assessment:
* romance (I don't dislike romance, but it's not a genre I typically am drawn to)
* school setting (at least partly)
* explicit sexual content
* characters with oversized boobs, and other fanservice (well i mean we already went all the way to sexual content so whatever)
* incest

But then I watched it, and it was very strongly emotional and atmospheric, and really focused heavily on character development and character drama. And unlike many shows with sexual content or fanservice where the smutty stuff is just an undesirable sideshow, Yosuga no Sora makes sexuality a centerpiece of the plot, and takes it completely seriously, in a multidimensional thing -- not just playing it for drama or for romance or for comedy or for horror/shock value, but really giving it a mature, comprehensive treatment. And I really admire that.

(Except the omake. The omake is basically the maid having wet dreams about the male lead. And is not very entertaining.)
GlennMagusHarveyMar 10, 2019 7:16 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 10, 2019 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
Not a fan of ecchi, but I really enjoyed Prison School.
Mar 10, 2019 7:13 PM

Sep 2018
Lucky Star was really good and has made me interested in similar series of that genre like Azumanga Daioh
Mar 10, 2019 7:15 PM

Dec 2012
According to MalGraph:

Magical Girls:
Figure 17
Is This a Zombie?
Kiddy Grade
Kill la Kill
Lyrical Nanoha Franchise
My-HIME
My-Otome
My Santa
Princess Tutu
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Rozen Maiden
Shakugan no Shana
Vivid Strike
Witchblade
Witch Craft Works

Sports:
Bamboo Blade
Chihayafuru
IGPX
Initial D
Overdrive
Redline
Suzuka

Shounen-ai/Shoujo ai:
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
NO. 6
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 10, 2019 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
Konosuba I guess? Don't really like ecchi, harem, or isekai and Konosuba has all of that. But it was funny and all the characters were really likable.
Mar 10, 2019 7:24 PM

May 2018
Gamers! from the Romantic Comedy genre. To be fair I haven't watched that many Rom-Com's anyway but it was absolutely hilarious dubbed and totally exceeding my expectations! Could anyone recommend something with a similarly good dubbed version?

Mar 10, 2019 7:34 PM

Sep 2013
maybe sangatsu no lion ?
I never was into heavy dialogue stuff, I'm more into derpy shit
Mar 10, 2019 7:42 PM

Jul 2017
Kuroko's Basket. Was never expecting to watch let alone enjoy the sports genre, since I don't watch too many different sports anyway and since there were hardly any soccer/motorsports anime out there.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how amazing it was.
Mar 10, 2019 9:33 PM
Aug 2018
I'm open to any genre, but I can't say I was into the genre that Monster fell under but that became one of my favorite anime of all time.
Mar 11, 2019 2:23 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
too many to count.

I usually avoid space,sci-fi,mecha & sports but still there are plenty of amazing ones of these genres.

I avoid shounen-ai/yaoi as well as I simply don't swing that way. But I've seen some of them and few are fairly good.

Basically... I avoid certain things everywhere, but even those have really good stuff around. Just it's better to limit a bit what I consume.. not enough time in life for all of it.
Mar 11, 2019 2:30 AM

Aug 2016
I don't usually like spokons, but I LOVED Slam dunk (the manga). It was so refreshing and the characters were all likeable and funny!

お持ち帰り (/^-^(^ ^*)/ ❤
Mar 11, 2019 2:36 AM

Jul 2015
Shokugeki and No Game no Life for ecchi series, although the rest of them being awesome is what makes those elements fun too.

NGNL again + KonoSuba for isekai works, I generally don't care about them but those two are awesome.

KonoSuba also takes a point for the parody genre together with Haruhi (which I'm not too sure if it deserves that tag tbh), I generally don't find those too funny but loved them.

Closest for the mecha genre is Gurren Lagann, FranXX is the only other one with an 8/10 or higher but TTGL is the only one that got close to the 9 (I actually have that score for its second movie).

Didn't reach love status, but Nisekoi for the harem genre, 8.5/10 from my part, loved the comedy and the characters.

Lastly... maybe Aria for iyashikei? That genre bores me pretty hard despite my love for cute girls anime, but that one gets very nice after an alright start, I wouldn't call it love tho.
Mar 11, 2019 3:33 AM

Feb 2018
Biggest case for me is definitely Konosuba. Every genre I don't enjoy besides comedy and yet I completely love it. They own what type of show they are and often make it satirical though, so maybe that's why.

This season, probably Quintuplets. Harem is weird.
Mar 11, 2019 3:45 AM
Dec 2013
Sports is one of my least favourite genres, but I fucking loved Major S1.
Mar 11, 2019 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
Am not so much into lbgt anime, but I quite enjoyed Simoun and the gender identity dilemma. Especially since even the male characters were voiced by women voice actors
Mar 11, 2019 4:04 AM

Mar 2018
I'm not a big fan of ecchi or harem anime. But I really enjoyed Monster Musume. I had a blast watching it.
Mar 11, 2019 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
I don't like fantasy genre but I love attack on titan even if it's fantasy
Mar 11, 2019 4:20 AM

Feb 2019
Not a big fan of Isekai but i enjoyed watching, Re:Zero, Konosuba & Youjo senki

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 11, 2019 4:21 AM

Oct 2008
Comedy is hard for me to be entertained by. However anime like "Gamers and www.working" were brilliant.

Music is even harder, so when "Hibike Euphonium" came out I was very happy.

Game is weird to me, but even though I don't do well with it, series like "Chihayafuru, 3-Gatsu no Lion are absolute diamonds.
Mar 11, 2019 5:33 AM

Feb 2013
adventure - kino's journey
fantasy - claymore, saiunkoku monogatari
parody - zetsubou sensei
Mar 11, 2019 5:36 AM

Jul 2013
Banana Fish, in terms of anime I wouldn't be interested in all male cast, cause the chances of yaoi-bait stuff would be high. But in this case... This is a series that was great from beginning to end.

Mar 11, 2019 5:37 AM

Apr 2018
I avoided anything even tangentially related to harem for a long time, but then I eventually checked out monogatari and it is now easily my favorite anime bar none. I am still not too keen on the genre but I don't outright disregard it entirely anymore
Mar 11, 2019 6:06 AM

Jun 2016
Yahari no comedy and Youkoso classroom of the elite. I am not high on slice of life but Hachiman,Yukino,Kiyotaka and Suzune make series great and Generally I love Series In general.

Mar 11, 2019 6:09 AM

Feb 2019
I dont reallt like slice of life and romantic genres but I had a lot of fun watching Wolf Children and Kamisama Hajimemashita so these two animes changed my veiw on these genres..
Mar 11, 2019 6:14 AM

May 2015
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry. I dislike ecchi harems (and I know its technically not a harem as the dude picks a girl but it definitely gives you that ~vibe~ for the first half of the show), and this is the type of show I'd normally avoid but I picked it up when it first started airing and surprisingly really enjoyed it. I'd definitely watch a second season if it ever got one.

♡ artist
サコ
Mar 11, 2019 6:35 AM

Aug 2018
1) Gurren Lagann: I rarely enjoy mindless manly action anymore (let alone with giant robots), but I had felt nostalgic for something more upbeat, so I gave it a shot.

Loved many of its characters, its unique artstyle, the good aspect of exaggeration, the fact there were surprisingly great plot twists + its beyond awesome OST.

2) Your Lie in April: under normal circumstances, I would have probably rated with 7 or less. Romance is among my tougher genres, let alone with a pairing such as Kousei-Kaori.

But: when I watched it, I was in a foul, tired and miserable mood. It was just what I needed, binging it all day and much of night barricaded in my room. I am also a sucker for classical music.

3) Monogatari series: not a big fan of haremy anime, but the series appealed to me because of the unique direction, of how arcs were set, the music and the Shaft weirdness.

Though, not all arcs were my cup of tea, and didn't like how they lewded lolis at times.
Mar 11, 2019 6:57 AM
Feb 2019
Mine would be Shimoneta. I don't like ecchi, but when it's plot is to be ecchi, it's actually hilarious.
Mar 11, 2019 7:17 AM

Oct 2013
Maybe Yuri on Ice, I never really enjoyed series that has bits of shounen ai effects.
Mar 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Apr 2015
Obligatory evangelion (don't like mecha that much)

And Hajime no Ippo is technically a sports anime so we'll go with that.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

131 by APolygons2 »»
59 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

38 by Abomination_suah »»
15 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 1 hour ago

1 by Serafos »»
15 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

33 by AverageRiceFan »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime Openings with Sound Effects

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 28

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.