Forums
New
Oct 22, 2018 5:30 AM

Oct 2017
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #169 - @sasalx ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

sasalx

Interview conducted by: @KatsutoSaki

Could you tell us about yourself?

Well hello everyone. My name is Edward. You can call me Edd. Currently traveling the world because of my education. It's nothing special though. Computer Engineering/Science. However I love to travel thus I take every opportunity to travel provided by the university. I really love my job too so it's a bliss for me. Other than that I could talk about my vision of myself. I consider myself very hyperactive and talkative among my friends. Ironically it's the opposite of it for my family. Well you know I don't talk about my grind session of BDO or what I coded last night with my mom. So let's say it the subject is something I am interested, we can talk about it all day. Another thing I can add is my sarcasm. I love sarcasm. It's the pinnacle of human communication skills. Sometimes people take it seriously and that's where the fun begins.

My daily life cycle contains games, coding, working/education, free time and of course sleeping. On weekend I also add visiting new places to that this. If you ask me it's perfect. Well mostly. Usually. Are we including sleeping 4-7 hours in one day? Anyways if you enjoy what you are doing, it's fine I think. As you can guess I do watch anime/tv shows and read manga/LN in my free time. Even though I have a relatively big PTW list I always go with the seasonal watch. As for my taste™, I usually cycle around comedy, physiological and mystery. At least those are my favorite genres. As for my manga taste well... It's something. Ironically only my manga favs in my profile in order. So it might give an idea to you.

As for my casual stuff, my hobby is playing piano. If I am stressed I just go and play my last favorite OST. Really helps. Also I don't think lurking in Twitch counts as a hobby but hey. That's what I do. Now f you look at my profile most likely you will find a joke about my idea of personality types. I know there are many sites but one popular site claims there are 16 types of personality. Are you kidding me? This is just too wrong. Every person is unique because of their experience. I find it very stupid so I joke about it and rant about it if needed as you can see. I hate to limit myself in one pattern. Just be you and go along with the flow. You are not "x" just because someone said so or you read it from somewhere. Ok rant over.

My last topic will be traveling. Oh boi I love traveling but I think you get the idea before saying this. If I have to point out my favorite country it would be Italy. The history of there is insane. Oh I love history too. So many lessons to take. As for Italy well my first visit was when I finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood in one week. I was a total weeb for Italy in that visit. Well I guess that is all I can say for now.

How did you choose your username?

My username huh. Sorry to disappoint everyone but it's not about being sassy. Long long time ago, before the beginning of time, there was a game called Puzzle Pirates. Seven years old me was having a hard time to find a nickname. I usually would pick names like edwardxx or eddx. Putting x at the end of something was cool at that time. Those are simpler times indeed but I digress. As you can guess the nicknames I used were taken so I was having a hard time since it never happened before. I was trying different combinations like a mad boy. After some time I tried salsax but it was taken too. Genius me changed the word a bit to sasalx and bam. I was very happy and satisfied that night. So it comes from salsa not sassy but hey that's also close.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL? Also, which sections of MAL are you the most active on?

My history with MAL. Such a tale... I want to quote.

sasalx said:

*2012*

Me: Well this site looks cool. I can list my anime now. Nice. Design is kinda old but they will improve it for sure.

*2017*

Me: At least add buttons for BBCode in the message section.
"Dev TEAM": Nope. We are busy with restricting third party access of MAL API.

Jokes aside if I remember correctly my friend told me about the existence of this site. I like the idea however there was one problem. I found MAL one year later from starting to watch anime. I had to find every show I watched until that date. It was painful, to say the least.

I started as a normal user while not using the forum at all. I can't remember my first post on MAL but I wanted to talk about anime with others thus started posting on forums. Then decided to post bait pictures on bait threads but I guess it was Ardanaz who warn me about it. You know the 30 character rule. Then I post real discussions. Got bait detector title and so on. Then I left Anime Discussion board because it became a competition for trolling. I was semi active on Support / Suggestion boards while usually posting on Forum Games. Met very different and nice people. Bored Kineta to death with my suggestions. But hey at least the discord suggestion worked well. Lastly created BetterMAL because I could. These days I usually post on Forum Games.

How did you get into anime/manga?

Long long time ago, before the end of time, there was a game called S4 League. It was 2011. While I was playing the game one dude was talking about how good One Piece was in the online chat. I was intrigued to see what that is. After a research, I found it this One Piece was an "anime". I found the dude again in the chat then asked for a recommendation. I skipped One Piece since it had many episodes and I wasn't ready to invest my time in it. The dude recommended No.6 and let me say this. I had mix feelings about the show at the end. To this date, I love how I started anime with No.6 though.

Then I started One Piece. I remember one funny memory. While listening to "The Very, Very, Very Strongest" OST I saw a popup saying "Best Anime.. isn't it?". I agreed on that very quickly. Naive me deciding One Piece is the best anime after watching 2 anime. I even found the video. Oh well. It happens.

As for manga well I can't remember how I started. I was really curious about the manga stuff and always wanted to read one to see how it feels compared to anime. My first manga was either Oyasumi Punpun or Aku no Hana. To this date, I love those two. In fact, they are two of the three manga I gave 10. Then I read Franken Fran and Ibitsu but let's not talk about it that much.

How do you feel the MAL Community sees you?

Now that one is hard. Actually, this is my fifth time of rewriting this. To many, I am just a normal person I guess. Not that I claim the otherwise but hey I love rating "x" games in the forum so I guess I don't mind the title "Pro Rater". Damn such a stupid title I created right there. It might be worst then "Bane of Baits". Oh well. I should stop there before entering full retard mode. However as a curious person, I like to hear what others think of me. Hearing different opinions always pique my interest.

What do you feel about the board you use the most i.e. the Forum Games? What do you feel about the community in general?

Forum games board is fine. Many people, I included, come here to chat with others or use their free time. Thanks to @IpreferEcchi we get weird/good new topics here and there. I guess this board is a good alternative if you want to spend your time. This board also has fewer trolls so it's better automatically. As I mentioned before my favourite topics are rating or best "x" topics. I don't know why but it's fun to do.

As for the community, it's fine actually. Like all communities, we have trolls and baiters but there are many interesting people to talk and discuss things. Moderation is also good too. Only missing part is good developers but since they don't even post on MAL I guess we can't include them.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

Well, we had a problem with forum moderation a while ago. Late answers to reports caused a big trouble for both sides but by recruiting more people it's solved now if you ask me. The same thing also applies to review moderators. Social Media and News teams are doing a very good job so no complaint there. I think MAL needs more moderation teams like support moderators but it's not going to happens soon it seems. It would be great to have moderators directly responsible for threads in Support/Suggestion boards. As for the admins well they are fine too. I don't know the inner mechanics of the team so I can't say much about it. Lastly, I want to talk about database moderation. This two teams (anime/manga) needs new recruits immediately. It's fun to hear database suggestions that are from two years ago are still in pending. However, it's also sad to hear those. So yea if there is one improvement that MAL needs, this would be it in my opinion.

Any users you like/dislike? Why?

Ah, the circlejerk question. I always like this question. Let's get into it then (in no particular order):

Ma boi @Illyricus . Always nice to talk to him. Has a superior taste because of Shinji. Even though he betrayed Karen.

Man of culture @Gabagool . Another person I like to talk to. With Kanbaru in his favorite, he truly ascended to godhood.

@_Ako_ One of the shitposters I like. SHE has a good balance on that. Truly a talent that is given to few. Also, when will I get those promised single waifus?

@DeadlyRaven Hi mom. Thanks for taking care of us. She is the epitome of the good side of MAL after all.

@Ardanaz A police officer of MAL. However, the one you can have a good talk with. Also known for his cat-girl love. He keeps his ideals for sure.

@EcchiGodMamsterP From lord to god. He defended the fanservice in anime with every piece of his existence. I respect that sir.

@straysocks Even though she is not active anymore I always had fun while talking with her. Probably talked with her the most.

@PraetorPat I like his designs. I am also envious of that. Alas, my skill with something related to art equal to DeNA's care of MAL so yea.

@Alfond Another man of great taste. Approved by the Monogatarian Empire embassy. Liking the yuri is always a plus of course.

@SenpieX Very nice person. I am still grateful for the help. I am so jealous of you as well. *Tips fedora*

@aSuperiorGamer My partner of crime. I will get that 10/10 one day.

@_Spectacled_ Highly educated OST/OP/ED rater. Thanks for keeping those threads alive.

@IpreferEcchi I don't know if I hate or love the threads you create. Hmm...

@Chaet MAL's not so shy but shy kohai.

@TyraMisoux ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@Smugdere_ Likes the best girl in FGO. That is more than enough.

@Dinoe Best cook on MAL. Change my mind.

Sorry if I missed someone. %100 sure I did. I am really incapable of saying things about others since I always think too much about it while ending with nothing. However thanks for making MAL a better place, everyone.

As for people I dislike well no. I don't hate people I met online.

What are some MAL members you consider the most influential? You're not allowed to include yourself.

Well, all of the forums mods are automatically here in my opinion. Especially Tyrel and Ardanaz . I also can't unsee the influence of Kineta as well. Despite what happened, it must be hard to handle all of the work. We had to include
Stark700 into this list. All of the bot jokes should be enough to understand his influence. As for non-staff I definitely can say @SweetMonia is in that list. Her club is really successful and brings many people to one place. Developers like @motoko , @Drutol , @G-Lodan and @IATGOF really improved MAL by making third-party apps. Well, they did. Before. You know the API stuff…

Is there a MAL member you would want to take on a date or get to know better? Who and why?

I want to have a date with @TyraMisoux after saying "no homo".

As for people I want to know hmmm... I can put everyone in my friend list tbh. Since every person is unique in my opinion, talking and understanding them is like a reading a new book for me. However, I can make some addition to this list.

@dfsafsaf I want to meet up with you and ask "Why?" then leave. That's all.
@Kineta I actually want to see the whole process of her job at MAL and talk about it and its hardship etc.
Also, I want to throw a party with @zal, @Deknijff, @romagia and @Comic_Sans. Just imagining it is enough to laugh. Can we do this, please? This way we can synch every aspect of MAL while understanding each other. It will work for sure.

What made you interested in studying Computer Engineering/Science? Any background story you’d like to share with us?

Well sure. Actually, I was really interested in cooking. However, a part of me also wanted to dive into computer/software stuff. I was interested in both of them for the same reason. To create something just for myself. You can cook super cool and tasty stuff to yourself or you theoretically can make any program you need as CE/CS/SE. For example, I made BetterMAL for personal use at first. Then I thought "Well I can publish it I guess". It worked really well at the end imo.

So why I didn't choose gastronomy? Well, I guess I wanted to do something while sitting. Not the best reason or an inspiring story but that what happened at the end. I think it worked out really well since I like what I am doing. Well of course debugging 6 hours straight is not the best thing in the world but every job has things like that.

Was there someone who inspired your love for travelling?

A person? No. A thing? Yes.

First of all as I mentioned, I love history. As a result, I like seeing historical places too. Visiting museums, castles or historical buildings etc. So I think this is why I like traveling too. Most of the time I avoid the looking exact history of the place I am traveling. Thus after visiting the said place, I try to learn many things as possible about it at that night. It just became a routine at this point. It's little ironic though. I remember my first museum visit. I think 7 years old me said something like "Oh it's boring they are just rocks." Welp, times change.

Also, I can't deny the effects of games too. Games with historical settings are also a defining factor for my traveling. It's a cycle really. Find something interesting (From books, videos, games etc.) --> Visit there if you can --> Learn the full history of that place and repeat.

When and where did you travel first? And why?

It was Berlin/Germany. As for the reason well nothing specific really. Not like I throw a dart to a globe or something. If I remember correctly it was just out of whim. Not that I mind. It was a great experience. Very rich historical aspect. Well at least now that I think about it... I was a little kid so you can't really appreciate historical places at that age.

How was your first visit to Italy? Any noteworthy cuisines or places you liked the most?

Oh boi I have many stories to tell you but I have to cut most of them I guess.

The short version is it was glorious. As for the long story well let's talk about it. Our route was like Milan (as our base) --> Florence --> Venice --> Rome.

In Milan Milan Cathedral was the most epic place for me. I love the gothic style building and this cathedral is a prime example for that. We mostly used here as base (staying at night) so we were not able to visit most of Milan. Tight schedule sadly... However, I remember an argument with my parent at that time. Because of it I just run out and at the end get lost. Genius. No in those years children with the phone was a myth for us. In the end, I and my parent did a circle in reverse order thus we met. They were angry of course. Quite rightfully.

Florence! It's still my favorite city in Italy. Rome technically in Vatican City sooooo... Anyways my bias for Florence probably comes from Assassin's Creed 2. You can only guess my fangasm when I saw Cathedral of Santa Maria and belltower. Of course, we just couldn't skip Uffizi Palace too. Nobody threw a rock at me in Ponte Vecchio but I digress. I remember a museum like cafe since we rest a bit there but I can’t remember the details.

Venice... Can we just sit and talk about Basilica di San Marco for a moment. I still don't understand how in that age they were able to make something like that. I remember running as much as I can in its square as I did in the game. Another story I remember very well: My father bought a big chunk of white chocolate from a shop. You were not supposed to finish it in one go buuut oh well I did anyway. My stomach was screaming to me at the end. We also eat pizza for the first time on our visit. Let's be honest it was nothing spectacular but not bad too. I was quite satisfied at the end.

As for Rome well we pretty much visited every place possible. Colosseum and Roman Forum was really interesting. My imagination was very wild while thinking about how it felt to be there in their prime. Vatican Museum was also fantastic. We tried to visit every part of it but a certain part that I can't remember was closed so yea. However, even the walls and ceiling were a piece of art so it was quite interesting for me. Sistine Chapel was really good at this. I was getting goosebumps constantly. Well of course we visited St. Peter's Basilica and interestingly enough Pope was giving a talk while we were visiting. Interesting coincidence it was. The ceiling of St. Peter's Basilica was gold. Pun intended. We ended our visit with Patheon then tossing a coin at Trevi Fountain. It was time for "pasta". I remember mom saying "Well mine spaghetti is better than this." I still agree on that point.

However, I have to give it to them. We eat something called "Panna Cotta" and it was awesome.

Thus we ended our journey. This was a very trimmed version of it but it's enough imo.

In the near future, do you plan to or will you create an anime site better than MAL?

Well tbh, I don't think so. I find AniList really efficient and good. DB is good and they are still improving it by adding new things. They even added the fansubs afaik. Another feature I like is you can create your own list. For example, you can list shows you will watch for next season and people can see it. Annndd we have MAL... Anyways my point is I think right now there is a good site that does what MAL should have.

However me and my friend plan to develop a different manga app so there is that.

In the future, If offered, would you be interested to work for MAL under DeNA Co. Ltd.?

Well, it depends really. You know the money, position and stuffs like that. For the sake of the question let's say those things are favorable on my side. I would yes. I always mention how many changes and improvements you can make to MAL and I would gladly do them if the chance is given. However, before doing anything, I would advise them to hire a PR guy. They really need one…

Since you love traveling, when will you go to the land of imoutos (Japan) and adopt your own? Any plans regarding about it?

Oh, I want to do that so much. I mean no not the imouto part but I will look for tomboy/s. Well, jokes aside I plan to visit Japan after finishing my education. You need to have an income for all the figures and stuff...

What drives you to still want to help this long dead site?
By @Swagernator

Well, that's a good question really. I wish I know the answer. I think it's because of the wasted potential of the site. Like there are so many things you can do. So many new features you can add. As a developer I think I want to improve something I see potential in it. Alas it always fails. Well BetterMAL was somewhat successful but in other areas well... I am kinda done with it too. I would gladly help if they asked but other than that I am kinda tired of posting new ideas on suggestion board. Yea that board exists Dena.

Why do you dislike tsunderes so much? Is tragedydesu perhaps an alt of yours? Or you just had bad experience in the past involving them? Also, why do you consider Mikoto Misaka a good tsundere and Rin Tohsaka a bad one when Misaka is worse than Rin personality-wise?
By @Illyricus

I hate tsundere type in general because they are so bland. Come on people. Do you really want an abusive girlfriend? Do you really want a girlfriend which abuse you verbally and physically? Unless you are M, I can't see the point. Hurr durr I dont like you but I do hurr durr. For example Taiga. One of the worst characters I ever saw in a show. That comes from someone who watched Diabolic Loves(fuck my life that show was really bad too). Again hurr durr her past hurr durr. So I should let every girl punch me if they have a bad history? Anyways I think I explained my point. However, as you stated I don't hate every tsundere. I hate the archetype because they tend to be bland or uninteresting or copy of each other. However, I find Misaka interesting. She has a cool power and her own pros and cons. Not always in a bad mood. Doesn't says "I hate you" or "Ba-Baka" then in the next scene we see sperm whales. *Caught* Rin *Caught* Btw afaik tragedydesu likes Rem so no. He can't be my alt.

Do you think MAL will change for the better in what refers to the design of the website? Or will remain stagnant forever in that regard?
By @Illyricus

I don't think they will ever change the design of the site. Too much work when they already gain money amirite? Ugh... I know some people like this old design rather than well let's say the design of Anilist. As a front-end developer and a bit designer I don't understand how you can like this old design but oh well it's subjective. However, I think a simple switch between old and new design can work. Like reddit. Ironically I hate the new reddit design. It also disables many features so there is also that but I digress. Well, I prefer them to fix the site rather than change the design but it's Dena and ugh...

Any future plans for the extension “BetterMAL”, that you’d like to share?

Well, for now I don't have one. I developed the app because of my needs then decided to publish so I didn't have an end goal. For now it does the job for me. However I am always open for suggestions. The "To Bottom" button was a suggestion and I always use it now.

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future? If so, why?

For now, I am still enjoying the forum games aspect of the MAL and there are people I know here so I don't think so.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

I couldn't able talk why Monogatari is the best anime and Kanbaru is objectively superior but other than that this was a good interview. Thanks.

Any feedback on the interview format?

I think it's solid. Diverse but coherent. I really like the direction of the club after I left.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

Hmm 3 people you say...

@PraetorPat could be one. I believe his interview would be interesting to hear.

@IpreferEcchi I mean come on. Many people that are in "ecchi club" were interviewed. We need the final nail.

@Gabagool I want to know more about the true man of culture so yea. He would be my pick.

Thank you for your time, @sasalx. End of interview.
KatsutoSakiOct 22, 2018 5:41 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 22, 2018 5:31 AM

Mar 2014
Tnx 4 the mention
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 22, 2018 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
Compliments? :O
I was half expecting a roast here lol

I'm honored <3

sasalx said:

*2012*

Me: Well this site looks cool. I can list my anime now. Nice. Design is kinda old but they will improve it for sure.

*2017*

Me: At least add buttons for BBCode in the message section.
"Dev TEAM": Nope. We are busy with restricting third party access of MAL API.

Lmao. At least they added the notifications and did a bit of upgrading. But overall very little was done. I've given up on expecting any upgrades now.
Oct 22, 2018 5:48 AM
MALClient dev

Oct 2015
No clue where am I... hello!

KatsutoSaki said:
Well, they did. Before. You know the API stuff…

Emm, some apps still work even without the API :)

I made Windows 10 and Android MALClient apps! Source!
Oct 22, 2018 5:59 AM

Sep 2016
That's quite a big interview there, no wonder it took so much times.
I strive to be like you one day in the engineering/programming department, only started studying it but perhaps one day I can become a real developer like you are. You have such an ambitious life, that's applaudable.

It's funny because we've never actually talked properly to eachother before but hopefully I'll get to talk to you directly one day soon.
Thanks for the shoutout, you'll get a 10/10 from me one day, I'm sure of it.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Oct 22, 2018 6:24 AM

Jul 2013
Many thanks for the mention, my friend, it was such an honor. Glad you also have finally appreciate our Lord and Saviour, Shinji-sama. The church of Shinji will always open its doors to you. Glad to know what you think about the thinks I asked to you (even if I may disagree in the Tsundere aspect, but, well).

Very happy they finally did you an interview, you were one of my candidates, so, with yours, my three candidates have finally ascended to MAL's pantheon. Feelsgoodman.
IllyricusOct 22, 2018 12:03 PM
Oct 22, 2018 8:03 AM

Sep 2012
Ardanaz said:
I was half expecting a roast here lol

Well, why let some arguments get in the way of a good talk? Btw if you get that reference, bless you. *Tips fedora*

@aSuperiorGamer Everyone in MAL is secretly developer but that's a secret. Jokes aside I feel like that's true some days. Thanks for the compliment. As long as you are not afraid of searching stuff, I believe you will be a great developer. Also yes I will take that 10/10 one day.

@Illyricus Oh so the tsundere question was from you. Lol, I should have guessed. Thank you too, my friend.
Oct 22, 2018 8:55 AM

Aug 2014
sasalx said:
Well, why let some arguments get in the way of a good talk? Btw if you get that reference, bless you. *Tips fedora*

Looks like I'm not worthy of that fedora tip T_T
Oct 22, 2018 2:40 PM

Jul 2013
sasalx said:
@Illyricus Oh so the tsundere question was from you. Lol, I should have guessed. Thank you too, my friend.
Is okay, my friend. I'm so glad you finally got your interview ;_;
Oct 22, 2018 4:21 PM

Aug 2008
Aww, thank you so much for the praise, I am happy to see my efforts are being recognized like that. So.... Thanks again~ :3
Oct 23, 2018 1:34 PM

May 2010
Hey look everybody I’m famous
Oct 23, 2018 6:40 PM

May 2009
I have too many kids. (._. )
I don't know about me being the good side of MAL, but thank you!

Neat interview!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.