Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 3, 2019 12:41 AM

May 2009
So I was on the fence about the series cause they would write something really terrible with an inkling of potential, but slowly the characters develop actual personalities and this episode is a good culmination of that. Definitely ended on a high note and would be interested in how the triangle ends.
death_chocoboJan 3, 2019 12:46 AM
Jan 7, 2019 8:21 AM

Oct 2018
Wow what a cliffhanger ending, hopefully we see this all come to a resolution in the 'Extra Stage' episodes (13-15) come spring, Hidaka is sick of being ignored, good for her!
Jan 8, 2019 6:11 PM

Aug 2008
Honestly my main complaint about this show so far is a lack of interaction between Oono and Hidaka, the two rivals need more than that one scene! Oono especially doesn't even realize yet there could be someone waiting to snatch her gamer nerd from her heh.

Never thought an anime about playing video games could hold my interest like this but here we are.
Jan 9, 2019 3:35 PM
Jan 2019
gswelcome said:
Honestly my main complaint about this show so far is a lack of interaction between Oono and Hidaka, the two rivals need more than that one scene!

Well, Oono was gone in chapter 3 before Hidaka made her appearance in the story so they didn't know each other back then. When Oono came back, Hidaka only got hints of her existence from Haruo, and they don't attend the same schools. Oono is also very restricted in her spare time and Hidaka wasn't even interested in arcades - the only place you could occasionally find Oono.
Jan 10, 2019 6:33 PM
Jan 2017
this series was AMAZING I truly hope it gets a 2nd season and I am looking forward to the OVA.
Jan 16, 2019 3:09 PM
Sep 2007
Wait, it was a last episode? I hope there will be second season, because it kinda looks like unfinished...
Jan 16, 2019 5:49 PM
Jan 2019
There will be 3 OVA episodes coming out on March 2019 :) Then hopefully a season 2.
Jan 17, 2019 4:41 AM

Dec 2016
Amazing series with a lot of funny games moments!
Jan 17, 2019 6:37 AM

Apr 2012
9/10 for me

It would've been a 10 if it wasn't for the crude CG animation.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 19, 2019 10:24 PM

Apr 2012
This was very enjoyable watch. Can't wait for the OVA and hope the OVA concludes the story.
Jan 23, 2019 6:45 PM
Jan 2019
No, the OVA can't end the story. The manga still has many volumes to go. It would take a second season to conclude the story.
Jan 25, 2019 2:01 AM

Nov 2007
The first half was super cute and sad and the second half was cute and sad at the same time! How can you make two likable girls in the same show, and about video games, too?

This was such a gem that I am a bit conflicted to have to watched it as it aired! I am okay to say that this was probably one of the top 3 anime of 2018 (alongside VE and Yorimoi).

Cannot wait for the OVAs. I really hope we get a proper sequel but perhaps the OVAs will pull a ReLIFE on us now that the manga has ended.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 29, 2019 12:18 AM

May 2013
This pan out was really stunning and reminds me of Kingdom Hearts eheh <3

OMFG, this encapsulates their relationship so well XDDD boyfriends are so fucking dumb sometimes but they're so cute and funny like that xD

The perfect purikura for them :D

It was sosososo cute when Ono tucked him in and stared at him a lil bit when he was asleep huehue~ I do that too when I have a bf <3 Sleeping guys are the cutestttttt -^___^- they're like little puppies hehehe

Haruo's mom is awesome as always. Whatta good mama ^.^ I LOL'd with the backscratcher-- I don't think I've seen it in an anime before LMAO. Do other cultures use these too or just us Asians? Bwahahah xD

The PS start up sound was like heaven to my ears. I used to not care about it back then bc it was the norm lolol but now it hits ya like a pile of bricks in the face xD love it.

I busted out laughing when Hidaka hit him with the Saturn XD all these cute, violent girls Haruo's attracting hahhah X] now he gotta win to be with Ono :3 new goal instead of the Jouran High entrance exams lulz

SEASON 2. I NEED SEASON 2 OF HIGH SCORE GIRL RN!!!!!!!!!!

The series was absolutely perfect.
10/10 from me; damn straight :DDD
Kokoro_KotashimaJan 29, 2019 12:22 AM
Feb 2, 2019 7:09 AM

Sep 2012
I really wasn't in to the character drama at first, but I won't lie, this episode fucking gripped me! The scandalous hotel stay! The sweet tuck into bed! The Puresutee visit! And my god, that confession D,:

At first I was only in it for the video game history and 3D animation, but by golly I'll be watching those OVA episodes when they drop.
Feb 10, 2019 9:32 AM
Nov 2011
Look this episode was great, and the way they developed the characters I like the most. The only think I dislike was the Pink haired pervy girl early in the series.

I know, it looks like Hidaka may not have a chance, but she had the vacation date with Yaguichi, and came to see how he was going when he was sick. Haruo may desire to thrash Ono, but let's get real, he's so far out of his league with her, and he will never get real affection from her with the way things are going now.

Hidaka clearly has more to offer him in that department. The problem now is with the challenge she has put herself in a lose - lose scenario. If she loses to him, she might lose him forever, and if she wins, she might force him into a relationship for a while, but it might not turn out how she thinks.

On the reverse side, Ono, doesn't offer as much as you might think, she has a large chance of losing here, because of how violent she has been with him over the years. She will continue to have family pressure, and if he does end up with her in the short term, I for see a moment, where she still ends up having to choose her family over him. She can't win in this scenario.

I think that's what makes this one so compelling. I'm clearly in Hidaka's camp, she's shown a lot more softness toward him than Ono, and has learned from Haruo's example a little bit also. The only way I see her winning, is if Haruo wins, and then says, Hidaka, I'm sorry that I never noticed how you felt. I was so focused on these games, that I didn't realize I was hurting you. If he can get to that point. THen Hidaka wins. But if he doesn't, and soon, he'll lose Hidaka, and likely end up losing Ono by the end too. (IE This seems destined for the double bad ending where he no longer sees either girl, and is alone.)
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Feb 12, 2019 3:00 PM
Apr 2016
Oono & Haruo together at a hotel seemed like husband & wife hahaha... That ending, I'm glad Hidaka confessed, she's so mature & amazing, I was shipping her, sad that she got rejected... Great anime, would've been wayyy better if it had a different artstyle.
Feb 22, 2019 8:43 PM

Jun 2012
Aww that was really cute, glad I got around to watching this! I grew up in the genesis/playstation era and remember a lot of these, so this show was a huge nostalgia trip. Chrono Trigger, Mortal Kombat, Golden Axe... A lot of times he annoyed me on just how oblivious he was but I kept getting reminded that I was pretty much the same way when I was his age. Kind of hard to watch but also weirdly nostalgic.

I also like that they keep Ono silent for the most part, since finding out about her through the little bits of emotion and mannerisms hits a lot harder than just flat out saying it. In fact pretty much all of the emotion is conveyed without explicitly stating it until it's made pretty clear to us. I like that.

Only things I was bothered by was the show is Hidaka bringing the show to a crawl. Yeah, I get her, but she's not that interesting to me and bogs the show down a lot around episode 4-7. Also obligatory "the animation". Yea, it's not great, but I got used to it over time. The only times it became something of a problem is when its trying to show some of the heavier emotional moments. They just look kinda stiff.

I'll give it an 8/10. Very nostalgic and also very cute.
EternalSerenityFeb 23, 2019 9:53 AM
Mar 1, 2019 5:21 PM
Mar 2018
I just noticed something strange. This show looks strikingly similar, in style of characters and animtions, than PuPiPo. A show that aired like 5 years ago and the characters are just the same, but these shows seem to have no apparent connection. Maybe someone that worked on Pupipo also worked on this show, but still why did the producer than state that this show is the future of anime and something new?
Mar 10, 2019 8:01 AM

Mar 2010
Cute episode and i loved the confession but was obvious she woild be rejected and its a cliffhanger end so i rlly disliked that... the art was rlly nice and cute :) and nice character development i think. (Tho the exam cramming was meh like you got 0s and then get to do the entrance exam for a special school made no sense)

This was a nice relaxing background anime for me rlly.. :) 7/10
Tho was debatting whether to rate it 7 or 8.. rlly wanted to rate 7,5 :p
Mar 19, 2019 11:02 AM

Jun 2015
Blackbird said:
Koharu sure is much better than some mute person like Akira.
Whoever design her to stay mute.

Rensuke Oshikiri is the manga artist and creator
Mar 23, 2019 6:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So hyped for season 2
Mar 27, 2019 10:47 PM

Feb 2013
That was great!!! And good I'm glad I waited until now to watch it, too big of a cliffhanger to have to wait for the ovas. 8/10
Apr 11, 2019 2:13 AM

Oct 2010
I expected a cute dagashi kashi type story about video games. I got a romance set in the 90s. Ok, I loved it, hidaka throwing the bomb conffesion was nice. Can't wait for the ova and the sequel. Now I go to the manga to quench my thirst. 9/10
Apr 28, 2019 7:04 PM
Oct 2015
Huh... I never knew that Puzzle Bobble existed, and that the dragons that show up to influence Haruo were from that game. I thought they were from Bubble Bobble instead (one of my favorite NES games of all time). Very interesting... it also seems like a very fun game to play; I almost want to break out my Dr. Mario for old time's sake.

I went into "High Score Girl" with low expectations, partly because of the unappealing animation, and partly because of the romance tag, but... might I say, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm actually slightly anxious for the next season, now. The bar has been raised, however, so it will be more difficult to impress me next time around. Hopefully S2 delivers.
Jun 14, 2019 2:37 AM

Feb 2019
Damn. Oono x Haruo... Their relationship is so sweet and pure. T_T But Oono violet though hahaha

. aaaa Koharu's confession omg. Will watch the OVAs next!

Can't wait for season 2!! <33
owkey
Jul 4, 2019 3:54 PM

Sep 2012
that confession and then chalange, i am kind of impressed 😁
Sep 1, 2019 6:47 PM

Jun 2014
ahhhhh Akira watching Haruo sleeping was so precious. And then the last bit of the hotel scene, they definitely acted like a married couple; Hauro going to work and saying he'd return to pick her up later etc.

Now who does this blond bitch think she is jumping in and stealing the end of the show, thinking she can use extortion to rob Haruo away from Ono. Learn your place as the side chick.
Sep 28, 2019 2:44 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Ah, young love at its finest, so freaking kawaii, but <3 Ono.

Quite the endeavor there, it summs nicely ep12 and IMO this is the best episode by far, kudos for both girls, they were amazing here.
My heart goes to Ono though, that early part, Ono KILLED IT.
Not only she was gazing at him like that after he feel asleep (I could feel the happiness and care on another level, she then proceed to sleep on the same position so she could look to him previous to doze of.

Previous episode drama had my heart heavy, this episode took it to the clouds.
I have lost any reserves in giving this a 9.
Sure this is not really an ending but I have so much fun watching the show, it was much more cute than I could have foresee, but also hit you hard with some well placed drama.
Cant forget to mention that photo boot, she just wanted a photo of the love of her life, and he was making faces, hang in there girl!

Hidaka at the end... Ono x Haruo all the way in, but I hope Hidaka manages to find happiness also, she doesnt deserve to be suffering like this (it was sweet to see her confessing and putting him on the spot like that).

After this smile:

I have realized resistence is futile (wanted to give this an 8), I will just be true to my beating heart and give this season a 9.
Great drama, deeply enjoyable comedy and moe stuff, plus I really loved the ED in the end always, what a surprise the anime was.
What a gem.

8.7/10 = 9
Nov 27, 2019 10:33 PM
Aug 2017
Omg the hotel scenes were wholesome af. But dam Hidaka is went at it now, y u gotta make them so likeable bruh
Dec 7, 2019 8:51 PM
Apr 2018
This Anime reminds me of "ReZero".
HARUO's choice is all that matters.
Dec 17, 2019 6:23 AM

Mar 2017
Ahhhh, the nostalgia in this episode was intense! That sound of the PlayStation and all that Tekken talk... it stoked a fire within me haha Personally, my character of choice for Tekken is either Ling Xiaoyu or Law!

I can't believe Hidaka finally told Yaguchi that she likes him.... i do like her character but i ship him with Ono. I just think they'd make a better couple and they have a deeper understanding of each other than Yaguchi and Hidaka do
Jan 8, 2020 1:04 PM

Nov 2014
Sometimes I wish Japan was polygamic... I don't want them both to be happy.
Anyway, it's pretty crazy that best Oono episode also went all out with Hidaka.
Jan 29, 2020 11:00 AM

Sep 2019
It's pretty much obvious that haruo gonna choose Oona :/ feeling bad for koharu :( for me she's the best girl tho
Mar 25, 2020 10:59 PM

Aug 2017
Hidaka for the win. Nice confession. She's clearly better.
Apr 12, 2020 2:20 PM
Jan 2018
The cg took time to get used to , at the end it didn't really bother me, it seemed fine alot better then most,

The mc was still kinda annoying at times with his attitude and ono was as well with her outbursts which where supposed to be gags I guess ,

The games and references where fun to watch especially the parts with the PlayStation, funny enough it came out bin Japan the year I was born and I recall I didn't get released in the UK untill around 1997-2002

Overall I would give the series either a 6 or a 7
May 19, 2020 11:04 AM

Jun 2017
Well, I certainly didn't expect them to end on such a major cliffhanger. Still, good job on Hidaka for confessing. I hope against hope that he ends up with her. Onoo is pretty good, but Hidaka is truly awesome.

Overall, this was a truly incredible anime. 10/10 for sure.
Sep 28, 2020 10:29 PM

Jul 2014
YOU GO HIDAKA!!! When she pulled the "I like you" I got so hype, let's GO! For idiots like Haruo, you have to tell him stuff like that straight up. I'm very interested how this is gonna unfold in the OVA and Sequel. Clearly Haruo only has eyes for Ono as probably a rival and never saw Hidaka as anything more than just a friend. Now that Hidaka made a move, Haruo's gotta take notice of her. Ono has "Protect at all costs" written all over her.

I went into this series with ZERO expectations. The first episode was kinda strange, and the animation was extremely odd. I almost dropped it after the first episode, but I watched episode two and built a connection with the characters. This bond grew with each episode to the point that I just kept watching because I grew fond of the characters.
Sa1amatSep 28, 2020 10:44 PM
Nov 1, 2020 4:35 PM

Oct 2015
There are flaws in this series, but I quite liked how they handled the last two episodes.

Let's see how sequels hold up.
Dec 31, 2020 12:36 AM
Feb 2014
2nd time watching this anime. God are episodes 9 and 12 amazing
Jan 13, 2022 9:39 PM

Feb 2019
Ah, a great cliffhanger finale.

Akira hitting Haruo after that ghost/murderer thing was really cute, and so was her looking at Haruo's sleeping face ^^

Ah, Koharu ;-; can't believe she just confessed then and there. Glad that she's taking the first step, but I can't really see this ending with Koharu despite how much I want it to be that way.

What an ending. I don't know who to choose ><

Undecided on 7 or 8 hm
Jan 31, 2022 3:45 PM

Sep 2018
Honestly, not that great IMO. Partly due to the nature of the series, the whole retro gaming vibe was not really entertaining at all and there was no nostalgia, as I never played those arcade games. And they spent a LOT of time and detail explaining and showing these games, far more than what I initially thought.

As for the romance, it felt pretty standard. Nothing that wowed me or made me feel attached to the relationships, Koharu's addition to the story felt forced and unnecessary. Not enough Ono and Haruo dynamic and growth either.

The comedy was hit or miss for me also, strange inane comedy that didn't take itself seriously which I enjoy. 6/10.
Feb 16, 2022 3:23 AM

Mar 2020
seeing early 90's videogames era was cool and all but the cgi + that dickhead mute girl + the screaming ass mc gave me a fuckin headache
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
May 19, 2022 9:48 PM

Mar 2013
That was a fine confession! (Eng dubbed version)
Finally, this love triangle will finally start its battle for Yaguchi!
I don't remember much from the games showed in this season and I doubt I played most of them before but it doesn't mean that not knowing a game won't make me enjoy this series, it is plenty enjoyable for me. Watching this in dubbed version makes it more entertaining and informative instead of watching the subbed version just to hear the original VAs. Don't get me wrong, I love both but for me, the dubbed version is more appropriate for me.
CrazyButNot4UMay 19, 2022 9:52 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 22, 2022 3:23 PM

Aug 2017
Air-117 said:
I hated this show so much but also love it. If the art style and animation were a lot better paired with a MC who was less oblivious but just as obsessed it would've been one of my favorites. The animation in particular makes me mad.
The animation seems weird but it is memorable lol

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Aug 2, 2022 4:40 PM

Dec 2009
The focus on competitive arcade gaming, stating the obvious to the audience to explain things, and the love triangle itself as an obstacle to Haruo and Akira is tedious because I personally adore the sole focus of Haruo and Akira's romantic relationship growing as Akira slowly cracks her shell as a kuudere who's very incomprehensible for not speaking and mostly using violence over subtle care...

But as is, as annoying as the love triangle is through not loving Koharu since the beginning, she's grown sweeter and more likeable.
Story-wise, she's forcing progress to the romance from the lack of development that Haruo and Akira hasn't committed to dating by setting a competition to; if he loses to her, he'll go out with her since she can't help but love him regardless of Akira being a strong presence to Haruo.

As for the rest, especially the beginning from the side characters and brief moments in between an engaging scene with characters discussing or the protagonist having a monologue... some of the background moments are hysterical.
Overall though, to my personal liking due to the story not being solely focused on the main pairing without a love triangle or a dull focus on gaming... 6/10.

The romance of Haruo and Akira is the best though. Very adorable in how she hits him when she's scared or displays care or sadness from her secluded strict life.
Although injuring his face is excessive...

Haruo as a protagonist is not fully but refreshing as a male character in a romance as a playful blissful child who only cares about his enjoyment, which is realistic, even though his density is a little frustrating, but now it seems he'll probably adapt.
His mother is charming and hilarious in her own way. The other characters aren't very meaningful, but they're mostly entertaining for the little they give.
waalex11Aug 2, 2022 4:47 PM
Sep 1, 2022 6:41 PM
Jan 2020
What a dedicated third wheel you are Hidaka
Apr 5, 2023 10:16 AM
Dec 2021
great anime, enjoyed it a lot.
Jun 13, 2023 6:44 PM

Dec 2022
Great last episode
Nov 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Dec 2022
Even though I was ambivalent about the rest of the anime, this episode really impressed me, and capitalised on this series strong points.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 3 Discussion

nehnehneji - Aug 10, 2018

46 by Strikrr »»
Jan 5, 12:56 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Kuroko33 - Sep 4, 2018

34 by asoyboy »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

67 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 9:03 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2018

68 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 8:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.