Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 20, 2019 7:45 AM

Mar 2017
I got chills during that final fight... the animation in this movie was mad awesome! I wish they'd shown this in cinema in the UK cause that would've just taken the whole experience to God level haha
It's so fucking sad that we'll never see Double Detroit Smash every again though 😢

BNHA is so freakin' epic man... PLUS ULTRA!
Jul 10, 2019 12:36 AM

Mar 2008
DOUBLE DETROIT SMASH!!! My god I loved every minute of this movie. I also love Melissa. <3
Jul 10, 2019 4:04 PM

Dec 2015
Well, that was...incredibly dull and disappointing. Had almost none of the charm of the TV series, reminded me a lot of the HxH films.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 15, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2012
Well it was enjoyable although the story could be better. Such a coincidence that everyone would just end up on the island. The way Todoroki just came out of nowhere although his classmates were just doing the attraction before him was quite unnatural. Then again maybe he was just going at his own pace.
I can't believe it's that easy to break through the security... which is apparently as good as the security of a top prison. They really should be worried if so.
And then all those nice technological stuffs that won't even exist anymore in the main story...
So many cubes
Jul 31, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2012
The amount of recap here was inexcusable. Even before Midoriya gave us a full-blown rundown on the series premise and his history, many of the dialogue prior to that felt constructed solely to inform the viewers about the series. Which was annoying but I wouldn't have taken any issue to it had they not immediately followed it up with an extensive recap from Deku.

Otherwise it was fine. Didn't really care for the cookie cutter villain with so little personality they didn't even bother to name him. And at some point I kinda wish they just made it a class trip so we wouldn't have to listen to a list of different convenient plot excuses why everyone was there. Don't get me wrong, they made sense albeit very generous it just got kinda tiring. I'm not even sure why they brought everyone. I know fanservice, but were any Sero fans really serviced by seeing him for five seconds with Rikido complaining in his hotel room?

Petty problems aside, the best thing about this movie was obviously the sakuga. The final fight still dragged a bit too me, but there was some amazing animation by incredibly talented animators over at Bone, and it was an absolute treat to watch visually. Also, All Might's pose for that final attack was hilarious. Another good thing about the film was how well it utilized it's cast. It was nice to see everyone trapped in the hotel get a moment to shine, except Kaminari because he literally accomplished nothing except taking himself out of the action. Way to go guy. And yeah, I could've done without Horikoshi creating Mineta too. Snark aside, I also thought the team up with Bakugo and Todoroki defeating the matter guy was pretty cool, it was the only time the movie displayed the intelligent side to the combat from the series proper, making good utilization of the individual quirks in order to achieve victory. It was a nice moment.
Aug 7, 2019 5:50 PM

May 2016
I am sorry but i don't understand why the mean score is so high...
Is just as disappointing as I expected.
Aug 15, 2019 5:13 AM

Mar 2015
Whew that was another great showing from one of the best shounen ever!!

Melissa was cute, too bad she isn't a part of the main series!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 4, 2019 10:09 PM

Mar 2014
Lifeless movie with animation even below the standard for the tv anime, and a terrible background art. There's everything bad and cliche of what you would expect from a shonen manga anime movie, and none of it is done right. The movie picks up only at the end with an obvious but satisfactory conclusion, but before that it is just extremely boring.
Oct 15, 2019 10:55 AM

May 2017
hooooly climax. That shit hyped the fuck out of me even though I didn't care about the villain and the plot at all. But the animation combined with the OST and our main characters just being themselves was enough. Was a decent watch even though the mid part was pretty uninteresting. Climax came through and delivered and elevated the movie from a 6 to a 7
shayed__Oct 16, 2019 7:23 PM
Nov 26, 2019 9:41 PM

Feb 2015
Well, it’s pretty irrelevant to be honest, cliché and predictable. Overall, I didn’t like the movie, Deku’s partners came out of nowhere, I’d have appreciated if there were only a few with short screentime in the anime, like Yaoyorozu. I’m also bored of the All Might is tired plot, lets apart that for the anime (cause I think is gonna be greatly developed) and try another thing or not include All Might at all. The plotwist of Dave working with the villains was great, also, the villain working with All for One, but the villain itself was very cliché. I got kind of bored. I think, Dave and Melissa were introduced, and for what I’ve read, the became canon characters, so that’s all.
Dec 27, 2019 1:05 PM

Nov 2009
THE WAY I SCREAMED AT DOUBLE DETROIT SMASH <3 Wish there was a way that we could see more All Might x Deku fighting together :(
Jan 12, 2020 7:11 AM

Apr 2012
TOP TIER WAIFU DETECTED!
Sorry, Uraraka, but Melissa just too perfect what you can compete with her

Deku vs Helicopter-kun - so short scene, but so epic
karneheniJan 12, 2020 7:33 AM
Jan 19, 2020 9:15 AM

Mar 2013
The movie ended and nobody ever knew the name of the main villain LOL Allmight saves everyone and definitely he saved this movie .
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 20, 2020 2:20 PM
Sep 2015
The TV series is way better.
Action was nice but it was too much. (Just how many times did they defeat the villain before he came back and attacked again all of a sudden?)

Also we didn't get a decent closure. What happened to the professor? Did he pay for his crime?

I'm not sure what score to give this movie. I LOVE the series but this was 7/10 or 8/10. I couldn't wait till it was over.
Feb 6, 2020 10:28 PM

Jan 2011
As soon as I saw Sam I knew he was gonna pull some betrayal.
Feb 9, 2020 2:38 AM

Dec 2014
Well pretty nice..hmm a cliche movie
Mar 5, 2020 2:22 PM

May 2016
Well hoped to be a little longer but whatever it was action packed with that great ending song i can't ask for more.
Mar 14, 2020 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
was enjoyable but the animation wasn't the best, neither the plot.
Jun 1, 2020 11:06 AM

Mar 2019
The movie is 8/10 for me.It was hype and emotional af at the end but it still feels generic.Good guys appear,bad guys appear,good guys beat the bad guys but then something happens and the bad guys are stronger but will still lose afterall.But eh,good movie.
I love Young All Might.He looked so fresh.Something about the first minutes and how he was killing everything with swift moves.It was so refreshing compared to his state "nowadays"
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 2, 2020 2:47 PM

Nov 2016
Came in with low expectations and wow, compared with many big franchise movies, this was actually outstandingly enjoyable. Yeah sure, the plot wasn't anything to write home about, but it had many good vibes, funny moments, hype action, an emotional climax and it's simply a treat to see these characters, even tho not all were present. Can't really understand the complaints regarding the production, the recapping didn't bother me, wasn't really necessary either. Only complaint would be the abrupt ending, but the post credits scene redeemed it a bit.

7,5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 6, 2020 6:48 PM

Nov 2018
That ending sequence with Midoriya and All Might was a very spicy meatball. Probably some of the best sakuga in the entire series

Overall 7.5/10 --> 8/10

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Sep 15, 2020 10:34 AM
Jan 2017
Let's just say they made the whole movie just to show that final fight
Sep 25, 2020 4:03 PM
Feb 2019
I feel like this movie could have been better if it focused more on the Toshi/Dave and All Might/Midoriya relationships, instead it had all the side characters show up and turn it into an extended length episode. It doesn't feel like this plot was worth a full length movie.

If that special glove Melissa gave Midoriya lets him use full power then he could easily blow the villains away. No reason for the rescue to take so long. Use Full Cowling to run up to the top, punching any obstacle in his way, and take out the villains. Side character squad can follow behind. He can come back for Melissa after subduing the villains and carry her to the top, or have Iida follow behind him carrying her. No reason to make All Might stay buff for so long and burn himself out.

I feel like All Might spends more screentime getting saved than saving people.

It was cool to see Midoriya fighting alongside All Might. This might be the only time that happens.

All Might having white eyes when he was younger is weird. When I saw those clips in the episode advertising this movie I thought it was supposed to be an actor reenacting his youth rather than actual younger All Might. I hope they explain what happened there.
uwotnowSep 25, 2020 4:15 PM
Jan 18, 2021 12:04 AM
Oct 2018
I just watched it (finally). I thoroughly enjoyed it, although the villain was weak and the ending was predictable. They put a lot of effort into the fight scenes, but not so much effort into other parts. But no real complaints here. I got what I paid for. 8/10
Jan 18, 2021 12:20 AM

Jan 2012
By anime side-story standards this wasn't bad, though pretty by the numbers as far as plot structure. You got the intro explaining the main premise for any potential newbies to the series, the new character introductions(Melissa and Dave in this instance), the onset of the crisis, the chance for the supporting cast to shine, and the climax. Seeing a bit more of All Might's youth was nice, albeit brief, and Dave and Melissa were fine for the roles they filled, but the fact that they'll probably never be heard from again does temper any actual attachment or investment I had in them. But that's true of most if not all these anime side-story films. The movie did a decent job of highlighting around half of Class 1-A in action, though several characters got the short end of the stick. I wasn't shocked Koji got reduced to a mid-credits blink and you'll miss it cameo, Horikoshi himself barely finds time to give him any attention, but fan favorite Tsuyu's minimal appearance was slightly surprising. The villains were, like Melissa and Dave, serviceable in their roles. I'm mixed on the All For One reveal involvement. On the one hand it feels like they shoe-horned him in just because they could, but on the other I must admit that scene where All Might learned of his involvement got me pretty pumped. The music during it in particular. That entire ending sequence was rather flashy and well animated, also as to be expected. I could see this hovering around a 6/10 honestly, but I'll be nice and give it a generous 7.
Apr 18, 2021 3:36 AM
Sep 2020
This is absolutely fantastic !!! Truly Fantastic !!! 100 % PLUS ULTRA !!!! This movie really shows how its made to impress its audience and loved fans.
I really enjoyed this movie , it was beyond my expectation and my imagination. This movie had it all action with relaxation and how they interact normally out of school. Seeing them in their time off away from training is really nice , I quite enjoyed it and that type of genre is really my liking.

Melissa Shield is lovely , kind and she seems like an amazing girl with a bright future ahead. Glad that most of class 1A is here too, they enjoying the expo. Seeing them made this movie even better in my opinion. Some of the class was able to help save I-Island and those who were involved are pretty talented too.

This type of movie is exceptional and totally my style, truly a masterpiece. Thank you for this movie i truly thank you !!!!!
Sam_SinghApr 18, 2021 4:08 AM
May 15, 2021 5:50 AM

Jun 2020
Dave & All Might were so cool back then. All Might really misses him huh. Made me sad seeing All Might dreaming about those days back then.

Deku pressed up against the plane window was so cute!! Lolol

Deku being in awe of i-island & Dave was so cute!!!!

Dave & All Might’s reunion was definitely bittersweet. He looked so troubled & worried when All Might couldn’t maintain his muscle form.

L M A O @ the rest appearing too!!! The girls playing jankenpon & Hagakure’s sign LOL

Of course Kacchan would bring Kirishima along ;) I was laughing so hard at Iida trying to stop them & Kacchan’s raging face on the big screen with Kirishima trying to hold him back lolollll

I love it whenever people call All Might by his name. Dave always calling him Toshi ♡_____♡

Kirishima, Todoroki & Bakugou fighting together ♡_____♡ Kirishima is like the only person he remotely listens to. Kacchan looks out for Kirishima more than he’d like to admit. When he yelled out “Kirishima!!!!” ( ˘ ³˘)♥︎ BFFs lol

L O L @ Kirishima getting stuck & Kacchan’s just like wtf dude just turn off your Quirk. Lol!!!! KIRISHIMA XD What a dork. And Kacchan quietly thanking him. That was fucking cute!!!!!

Deku’s smash & Iida fighting the bots were so cool. I wish we could see more of Iida in action. His weakness is always the limits of his engine.

Omg when Kacchan saved Uraraka just in time & Kirishima & Todoroki came running in. Even Kirishima knows they make a great team ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) That’s my boiiiii!!!! Shouto using his left side ♡____♡

Melissa was AMAZING. Wherever Deku was running to, she was doing the same, completely BAREFOOTED.

Shame about Dave, but he did it all for All Might (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`) Melissa sounded so disappointed in him, she respected him so much. Sam that bastard. Why did Dave take a bullet for him zzzzzzzz

The animation when Deku & All Might fought alongside each other was insane!!!! And I actually teared up during the silence when Dave saw Deku in the air & got reminded of All Might. Lollll @ Shouto looking at Kacchan smiling & him noticing & scoffing lollllllol Shouto is so fucking cute

The bbq stills during the credits were so cute♡

I really love Deku & All Might’s relationship (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`) They share such a special bond. Deku has also really grown on me. I liked him from the start & I know people see him as a weak crybaby but I just love how humble & earnest he always has been.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 16, 2021 1:46 PM

Jan 2020
I had hope for this movie, but turns out it was a disappointment.

My complaints:
First of all quite a lot of the story didn't even make sense. Such as how they all got there and met at the same place at the exact same time. Second, the characters hardly got time to shine other than the usual all might and Deku of course.

There was 0 development for any of the characters and the number of overused scenes from the main series was annoying. Also, it gets really annoying for me when we get to see what Deku & all might are thinking/analyzing even though I can see it clearly without a dumb explanation.

The fights also dragged on for too long too, and instead of using strategy like the mha does quite a lot, they won because "that's what it means to be a hero".
Reminds me of Fairy Tail if you ask me.

The villain is as dull as all the other minor villains in the anime.
The animation was decent, wasn't bad but certainly wasn't at its peak.

Voice acting was as good as the series, but I still think they could've added some more spice to it.
The ED was decent, but nothing I'd ever re-listen to.
3099May 16, 2021 7:41 PM
Jun 3, 2021 12:10 AM

Feb 2021
Great animation. Story was oakyish. Also the fianl Metal villain looked exactly like All-Might! He had brown hair instead of blonde and had 3 strands of hair sticking out instead of 2. His eyes were the same too lol.

Jun 8, 2021 7:13 AM
Jul 2019
Hm Interesting This Movie But Great Ye
Jun 22, 2021 12:16 PM

Jan 2021
So I get from a narrator point of view why they only used the device for Dekus arm and the amplification device in this movie (to make it more interesting even for people that are farther in the series by watching the movie later like me). But it's not logical and this really pisses me off because why should a organization ban a tool that would literally make all of their members stronger or why wouldn't the UA snatch those plans from Melissa to make a new and/or even better one. Both would be so beneficial for all countries in the fight against villains.
Jul 1, 2021 10:51 PM

Nov 2007
kind of a slog to watch through until that bombastic end. this movie is the embodiment of a summer blockbuster movie. 5/10
Oct 22, 2021 8:55 AM

Apr 2021
***Chef's Kiss***
Well I'm back to watching MHA after a short break and man was it good seeing this movie jumping straight to action....I frikin enjoyed it :D

I loved these two scenes the most : -
1) When Midoriya single handedly used the best Detroit smash he had to save All might and
2) When both of them together did a "Double Detroit smash"!!!!!

Anyways I was on the edge of my seat throughout the movie....I still don't get why the ratings are not 8 and above but meh I enjoyed it so for me it's a 9 more like a 9.5/10!!!!!!!!
Joel77Oct 22, 2021 8:58 AM
Oct 27, 2021 2:44 PM

Jan 2021
It was a fun movie. Basically felt like an episode stretched out into a movie, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Jan 3, 2022 11:50 AM
Jan 2022
Check out this amv I found https://oke.io/KNmMXf of deku and almight vs wolfram
Jun 5, 2022 11:03 AM

Feb 2019
9/10, again. I seem to have given everything from MHA a 9.

Now, don't get me wrong, the fight scenes were some of the best out of the whole series, and the animation overall was crisp - but the story was lacking. First of all, Dave being the bad guy? Really? That was such a cheap move and not necessary, they ruined a cool character by making him the "villain".

The bad guys were a bit meh. They should have come up with something other than security droids - maybe the villains could have brought their own droids or something.

Also, the movie could have done with being a bit longer, I think an hour and a half was too short. It's a 15 and designed for mature audiences, so it dosen't have to be as short as a kids movie.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jul 13, 2022 11:16 AM
Jul 2022
This movie was kinda mid.
Jul 19, 2022 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
This movie was great! Melissa was definitely an interesting character, and there was some chemistry between her and Deku, which must've made Ochako a bit on the jealous side.

My favorite part was when Deku and All Might flew together for that giant smash. That was phenomenal.

Jul 21, 2022 12:15 PM

Apr 2022
The true hero of this movie is obviously Cow Lady. Only a top hero could carry a name like that and still be cool. Mooh Ultra! 😉👍

Nov 7, 2022 5:54 PM
Nov 2022
Muito bom amei amo o anime e p filme foi perfeito em minha opinião a trilha sonora é ótima me sinto muito bem enquanto assistia e o final foi perfeito apesar de ser algo q eu já esperava pois eles são incríveis e plus ultra né
Nov 17, 2022 8:01 PM

Oct 2015
Really late watching this and well... this was... okay. (Trust me, that's a compliment.)

Reminded me why I almost never watch anime movies (from anime series) unless they're part of the main plot (like KNY Mugen Train) cause this is the peak of what they can do. Some are good, but rarely are they great. This one is okay. Didn't miss anything when I didn't watch it. Didn't leave anything when I watched it now. It's very skippable. But some scenes were fun and Melissa is a good character.
   HuaLian <3
Jan 23, 2023 3:22 AM
May 2020
7/10, plot hole was big.
Jan 30, 2023 8:12 PM
Jan 2017
I did not expect all of this Holly animation to be at the end. It was beyond amazing.
Apr 3, 2023 12:58 PM
Mar 2018
Good movie, well animated
Aug 21, 2023 11:40 AM
Aug 2023
this movie was awesome i loved it
Aug 21, 2023 6:33 PM
Jul 2019
Second time watching this still really enjoy and love it.
Sep 18, 2023 4:59 AM
Jul 2020
Does not contribute to the overall story so is not that important is just like one piece movies. dumb fun
Oct 7, 2023 6:18 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Schlong01
So I get from a narrator point of view why they only used the device for Dekus arm and the amplification device in this movie (to make it more interesting even for people that are farther in the series by watching the movie later like me). But it's not logical and this really pisses me off because why should a organization ban a tool that would literally make all of their members stronger or why wouldn't the UA snatch those plans from Melissa to make a new and/or even better one. Both would be so beneficial for all countries in the fight against villains.
@Schlong01 its the wepon of mass destruction argument.

if we use it for good, is making something that powerful justified?

cause as soon as it is made, it getting in the wrong hands is only a matter of time.

now we know dave probably would only use it on all might and no one else. but you can't blame them for not wanting something like this to get out in general.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 7, 2023 6:22 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Unusual_Kmc
9/10, again. I seem to have given everything from MHA a 9.

Now, don't get me wrong, the fight scenes were some of the best out of the whole series, and the animation overall was crisp - but the story was lacking. First of all, Dave being the bad guy? Really? That was such a cheap move and not necessary, they ruined a cool character by making him the "villain".

The bad guys were a bit meh. They should have come up with something other than security droids - maybe the villains could have brought their own droids or something.

Also, the movie could have done with being a bit longer, I think an hour and a half was too short. It's a 15 and designed for mature audiences, so it dosen't have to be as short as a kids movie.
@Unusual_Kmc dave wasn't really a villain.

he wad trying to stage a fake hostage situation to help all might stay the symbol of piece.

what he did was illegal, but as far as he knew he was helping the entire world without hurting anyone.

sure it did turn out that they were real villains, but dave didn't know that.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 7, 2023 11:51 PM

Nov 2023
Hurray for Summer break! You know what that means: Fan service!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you ship Deku with Melissa or Ochaco?

PoLoBreak - Oct 20, 2018

48 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 9, 6:05 AM

» Some people in reviews are saying the animation was 10/10...

MegaStride - Oct 9, 2018

8 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 9, 6:04 AM

» Let's play this role playing game or just imagine your self in my hero academia world

NicoTheAllMighty - Mar 8, 2021

3 by MufatNuts »»
Feb 25, 2022 5:06 PM

» All Might face looks kinda evil

BiobulletM - Jun 5, 2019

5 by Kundalini »»
Oct 4, 2020 7:08 AM

» Why are these movies always so generic?

scabab - Mar 24, 2019

2 by scabab »»
Mar 24, 2019 8:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.