Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2018 4:47 PM

May 2015
Horrible graphics. :D

YEA! COME AT ME ! DUEL! GO PIKACHU!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 25, 2018 4:53 PM

Oct 2014
This is just sad. This part was one of the most hyped and best scenes of overlord. I was expecting something from this. Its very very dissapointing as a LN reader.
xRhaiSep 25, 2018 4:57 PM
Sep 25, 2018 4:54 PM

Mar 2011
I was promised a SPLATpisode but i did not see any splat. Literally, no soldier was squashed by those dark monsters. I did not see any massacre. Just one of the worst CGI mixed with goat sounds and some dead bodies that for some reason appeared in the background without we actually see how they died from the monsters. Nice censorship, outstanding pace, fantastic piece of animation, masterpiece of horror, mad skills in directing an epic scene from the original source into an anime episode. Bravo!!! I'm impressed Madhouse! I see that the saving budget argument was spot on!

Absolutelly ridiculous. I did not read the LN, but i read the Youjo Senki x Overlord aniversary chapter and i know the spell Ainz did there was the same as the one in today's episode. I fail to understand how it's possible to translate SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT X100 into the shit i just saw....

I knew that having extra seasons would come with a catch. This is Berserk all over again. I can't believe i'm going to say this, but i no longer am looking forward for the next possible Overlord season. It's literaly unwatchable at this point. This is proof of how fucked up anime industry is these days. They do not even have budget to animate a title that sells like hot cakes. This really makes me appreciate Boku no Hero Academia or Shingeki no Kyojin even more. Rare pieces of good looking animation and overall nice directing and pace. Overlord anime is a joke! Only the OST is worth praising.
Sep 25, 2018 5:02 PM

Nov 2014
People are talkning about crappy cgi and crappy animation as if Overlord ever had any of it.

I like Overlord for the style and different take on Isekai anime, and I loved this episode and what it meant for the series. Ofc would've been a masterpiece with decent animation backing it up but well. It is what it is. These type of anime don't sell as well as other anime do.

Sep 25, 2018 5:03 PM

Jul 2015
This CGI shitfest is sure worth 8.0+ score...

RIP Madhouse

Sep 25, 2018 5:05 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was pretty simple honestly. Nothing much to look into but Ainz being a BOSS. A guy asking Ainz for a duel takes guts dude. You are already facing a monster that can just kill with a flick or snap of his fingers.
Sep 25, 2018 5:05 PM

Mar 2018
Shadzzo said:
Luismy-Kun said:
Yes the episode was ok, hated the Dark Younf even the goblin army was way more cool than this...
Hoping last battle can save the anime from the massacre on the score, already dropped from 8.89 to 8.40 mean score...

Lol it wont be a battle

Well i dont read the LN so, i expect a battle between gazef and Ainz if not anything that can save this of being the worst season will be welcome...
Sep 25, 2018 5:12 PM

Feb 2014
Sasuga Ainz-sama intensifies yet again!! Ainz is not holding back as to show what everyone must fear from him. Though Madhouse flunked big time this episode with all those monotone interactions they could have made it count if they just used BGM worth it. As a LN reader it felt quite lacking in terms of passionate thrill but the Ainz appraisal by the Imperial Army made up for it. I could not feel any thing when Ainz massacred all those people. Does that make me an undead too? XD

Shadzzo said:
Luismy-Kun said:
Yes the episode was ok, hated the Dark Younf even the goblin army was way more cool than this...
Hoping last battle can save the anime from the massacre on the score, already dropped from 8.89 to 8.40 mean score...

Lol it wont be a battle

Still it would be an honourable matchup of differing opinions.

Btw does anyone have the link to the whole clapping gif?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 25, 2018 5:15 PM

Oct 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Now being the calm before the storm... or shitstorm if it doesn't go well... I think I'll make a few predictions about EP12:

Now let's check how my predictions turned out!

Grey-Zone said:
1. We will definitly get SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT this episode (at least the scene, whether or not it literally happens with the sound effects remains to be seen).

Well they did the goat sound right (and i find it strange that even some LN readers critisize this, since it's actually the most faithful part in terms of an adaptation), SPLAT bits were only shown (censored) for like 3-5 seconds, while the rest was more like STOMP STOMP. So it was in this episode but it was only partially excecuted correctly.

Grey-Zone said:
2. Regardless of whether or not SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT is good CGI or bad CGI, just for being CGI some people will probably call it a complete failure regardless, both novel readers and anime-onlys.

CGI was better than I expected. Dark Youngs seemed to have higher framerate than any other CGI in the series. They didn't look as clunky as the Ogres or Goblins at least.
Not so with Kingdom soldiers - they were clunky. But it was in the acceptable range. I have seen the first season of Kingdom and nothing I have ever seen has worse CGI than the first season of Kingdom. Overlord actually is doing quite well when compared to other shows with CGI.

But yea, I was sure that people would delete the fact that Dark Young were in CGI even in the opening scene in every episode before this from their minds... and then act super surprised about it. Just as I predicted just the existence of CGI causes the overly enthusiastic "muh SPLAT!"-crowd to be triggered by default. I always thought it was just a funny meme or something, but some people took it way too seriously it seems. And I am saying that as a LN reader who is caught up with vol. 13 and most of the side-material.

Grey-Zone said:
3. Episode 12 will probably end on a cliff hanger right after the dialogue that was already presented back in the series preview for season 3.

Called it. It ended right after Gazef's demand for a duel, though it was shortened a bit. We'll possibly get the long version next episode, or it was only used for promo-purposes, we'll see.

Grey-Zone said:
4. Anime-onlys exclusive: Despite the higher death count than the tomb invasion arc, people will care less about it morally than Arche's death because she was a "cute waifu who takes care of two cute loli imoutos", while the dead ones here will just be considered "red shirts" and they die on a battlefied... though I have to add that heavily CGIed soldiers might twist the audience's perception in a way that I don't dare to predict here.

Pending... not enough feedback yet. Need to wait for the people triggered by the CGI to calm down their autistic screeching first.

Grey-Zone said:
5. I want to hear "Arrival of the undead king" or a comparable track during SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT, though doing it without any music would be fine as well. What I don't want is something super basic to be played. The track "I cannot believe it" or something like that would be too weak to make an impact for such a scene, though it could be used as a follow up, when everyone realizes what's going on.

Well, we got "Overlord - Ruler of Death" for the initial magic casting and two new tracks as follow-ups, one of them for Dark Young summoning (which sounds like an Overlordized version of O Fortuna) and one for the STOMP STOMP STOMP (I adapted already), all of which in total gets a pass from me. Well done on this front at least, Madhouse. I still hope for "Arrival of the undead king" in the final episode though. It would become tradition, since it had been used in the final episode of each season up until now.
Grey-ZoneSep 25, 2018 5:19 PM
Sep 25, 2018 5:18 PM

Sep 2014
Baka Gazef. Shine~~ already.
Disappointing animation. I liked the CGI back of 1st season, but now it turns into garbage. I'd rather wait 1 year for budget and get epic animation than this one. I love Overlord so it won't change my score, but it hurts to watch this series that poorly animated.
Sep 25, 2018 5:19 PM

Apr 2012
I enjoyed the episode. It was so tense I was so immersed with every scene. CG anime was ok I guess.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Sep 25, 2018 5:26 PM

Jun 2017
Meh, it was an ok episode for me. After watching the last episode, I already had a feeling that the comical cgi was going to get in the way of adapting one of the best scenes in the ln. Honestly, it felt rushed and underwhelming, compared to the last two seasons. But well, considering the fact that the budget that got into the production was mostly from the leftovers of the second season, it's pretty understandable for stuff like this to happen.
Sep 25, 2018 5:31 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode, I was hooked.

The content of the episode is fantastic, I absolutely love how Ainz is showing off his power to the world. The sheer despair he's inflicting on the opposing faction and his own allies too.

It's a real shame that the animation is the way it is with all the terrible CGI, this could've honestly been something really great had it had the proper budget and direction.

On a final note, with the way they were showing those abhorrent goats, it looked like they were just small and maybe the size of troll or something, It was only when they started stepping on people did I realize they were so freaking huge. xD

Honestly, this has interested me enough that I might just pick up the LN after this. It seems like the show has finally hit the ground running after all those build up kinda arcs.
Sep 25, 2018 5:36 PM

Feb 2008
crappy CGI ruins any show. Still I hope they do well next season.
Sep 25, 2018 5:46 PM

Oct 2015
This CGI was even worst than bersek. Omg, they really did that. I am really sad that they ruined one of the best finals from Overlord LN.

Aparently they did with no care and just the high story quality save this episode xD

I hope they wait a while for the next season in order to do a bether job, next time.
Sep 25, 2018 5:47 PM

Apr 2009
So those giant-mouths/building-sized-monsters are goats? Well that was different! XD

He knows it, we know it...RIP Gazef and the four treasures of the kingdom, whatever they are.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 25, 2018 6:02 PM
Nov 2015
Well I'm already prepare this moment, im already know madhouse will censored the blood and splat.

I see no blood ot human organs at all just like they did from season 1.
redcobraSep 25, 2018 6:17 PM
Sep 25, 2018 6:03 PM

Nov 2013
"Hey guy, bad CGs are being attacked by bad CGs". Seriously? And where the hell is Soul Eater? I feared it will turn out like this last episode but I still had some hope because it's the climax so they would care more about it. What a let down Madhouse
Sep 25, 2018 6:11 PM

Oct 2014
The problem with the Dark Young and the SPLAT scene is that they are quite abstract. I only became a LN reader when vol. 10 and 11 were already available, so vol. 9 didn't have too much of a lasting impression on me. But thinking back the whole scene seemed so fantastic because it only showed the results and not the actions, other than the trampling on soldiers.

The process isn't really explained. You get SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT in the LN, but what does it mean exactly? Trampling the enemies? Doesn't seem so special, just gory. But in our heads all sorts of "additional ideas" popped up due to the fact that we are dealing with eldritch abominations here, so people imagine over-the-top additions into the scene to reconcile the description of the LN with what one personally expects from such sanity-destroying beings.

So... how do you translate that into anime? You cannot. You will always leave someone unsatisfied because you didn't chose THEIR interpretation. That's why I think that even without CGI, even if the gore was shown properly, these hallucinations of additions that only existed in one's own head, even if you threw all the money of the world into it, even if you had all the time of the world, unless you make multiple different versions of the same scene to please everyone, you would not be able to make the scene live up to the hype: Simply because it's impossible for the medium.
Sep 25, 2018 6:21 PM

Aug 2018
I had hopes and excused the bad CGI on the previous episode because I wanted to believe they saved it up for this episode. The most anticipated splatfest.

Now that I saw it, I can excuse the CGI but AT LEAST PUT SOME BLOOD AND GORE in, thats what made the scene so iconic in the light novel! Imagining the horrible carnage the Dark Young has caused is what took the LN readers to anticipate this scene the most but no, Madhouse screwed this scene up badly.
Sep 25, 2018 6:30 PM

Dec 2015
The CGI in this episode was utter and absolute shit. I can understand using it when animating vast amounts of moving targets, but the fact that they used CGI even when the characters were completely stationary just shows how utterly bad the production of this season is. Very disappointed. If Madhouse had taken their time to properly animate this episode, this could've been one of the highlights of the entire Spring season, yet now it's just drowning in mediocrity. I can only hope the duel in the next episode (if it actually happens) will be better than what this episode had to offer.

Even with more interesting story and plot overall, I'm saddened to say that because of how terribly Season 3 has been in terms of animation, it's tracking to be almost as bad as Season 2 was.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 25, 2018 6:32 PM

Sep 2011
RIP Gazef. I hope he'll get revived after the duel eventually like on the lizards but maybe it's not gonna happen.

Sep 25, 2018 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
as expected
people just hating on the CGI or saying it was better in the LN

but yeah yeah good episode as expected

Sep 25, 2018 6:35 PM

Jan 2016
Funny episode as always. SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT.
Sep 25, 2018 6:36 PM

May 2015
gets stomped by a giant ass monster, no blood LUL
Sep 25, 2018 6:39 PM

Jul 2017
That episode made my eyes bleed.
Sep 25, 2018 6:42 PM

Oct 2014
kurikinton said:
gets stomped by a giant ass monster, no blood LUL

Japan seems to avoid bloody battlefieds in anime. Not sure if the reason is to avoid making people remember about the nukes or something, but I have seen it quite a bit and cannot remember, off the top of my head, about a single anime that ever showed a bloody large-scale battlefield. But I remember some where the battlefield was censored, e.g.:

- Gate
- Kingdom
- Hyakuren something something Valkyria

anyway, that part at least seems to be common and maybe they were even foreced by some law to do it like that, no idea. I don't know the motives of these anime studio heads.
Sep 25, 2018 6:48 PM

Mar 2015
As an anime only viewer and doesn't really care about all the hype and doesn't really know which episode is what people are saying the climax are, I just wanted to say this was a pretty underwhelming episode. Not disappointing, not bad, just underwhelming. It was still all in all a pretty meh episode, i didn't feel anything

From what the episode was setup, it was supposed to make the viewer feel the despair and hopelessness of the situation for the fodder/food that is gonna get massacred by Ains but the terrible directing of the episode just made it feel like they're just toys that are able to move and get broken/disappear from screen. Not only that but the tone of the episode didn't make it feel as despair-inducing as what the whole situation is supposed to show(?), I mean even Ains says that its time for despair but all I felt was just despair for feeling nothing to whats happening.

And that ain't even considering the whole TOP TIER CGI this episode together with TOP TIER ANIMATION. All in all it didn't feel like what an episode 12 was supposed to be which is considered to be the climax of the season(I didn't even realize it was episode 12 until I checked on MAL).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2018 7:05 PM

Jan 2011
that's it huh...apparently not judging from the reactions ,to say this episode felt underwhelming is a understatement

not sure who felt more despair today LN readers or the rest of humanity on the battlefield

still got some good chuckles from this episode so it wasn't bad.
Sep 25, 2018 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
Story wise this was a good episode, but visually it was absolutely horrible. I can't understand why Madhouse keeps making new seasons of Overlord when it seems like they don't the have the budget to do it with even a modicum of quality. It's not like Overlord is a niche franchise with a small following, so I can't understand for the life of me why they don't invest more in the production quality of the anime.

And for those talking shit to people who are complaining about the horrible CGI, here's the thing. It's fine if you don't care about shitty animation / CGI, but not everyone has the same standards and you idiots should keep that in mind.
removed-userSep 25, 2018 7:15 PM
Sep 25, 2018 7:08 PM

Nov 2017
Personally,I don't really care about the CGI.Yeah,even I'd say this episode was done a bit crap,but since it's just carrying on the story,I don't care too much,since its Overlord,its still all good.
Have to admit though,the fact he called down some lovecraftian monsters was wayyyyyy too cool.Maybe sometime we'll get to see Great Cthulhu,then,all those complaining about the crappy cgi making their eyes bleed,you'll see what'll really make your eyes bleed,and the rest of your heads as well :)
Oh wait,wonder if he has a spell that calls down Nyaruko-san,that'd be EPIC!
Sep 25, 2018 7:16 PM
Mar 2016
Honestly the CGI on the monsters was pretty good, not nearly as terrible as the Goblin army CGI. The Kingdom soldiers were the real victims of terrible CGI, if they had done them properly i wouldn't have cared about the Empire soldiers or Goats being CG.

Other than that... pretty good episode, but like always I wish it was fleshed out a bit better like in the LN. Lack of gore/blood/ was disappointing though.
Sep 25, 2018 7:31 PM

Aug 2018
Beating a dead horse, but overlord is turning into a comedy with the garbage CGI at this point LMAO
Sep 25, 2018 7:41 PM
Jan 2016
Ainz showing his greatness, that spell was really powerfull, he sacrifided a lot of people to summon that scary monsters, they were really terrifying, and what the hell did monsters make sound like sheeps? kinda funny!

Stronof is really a men of honor, he prefer stand loyal to the king instead of save a lot of people, but i understand him of course! And he asked Ainz for a duel, R.I.P Stronof! Maybe another target to ressurect!

Btw, sincerely i feel sad for how many people had died! :(
Sep 25, 2018 7:42 PM

Nov 2017
After 3 seasons i still cant understand whats the point in this anime. All i know is that it becomes more and more dull with each episode. I guess this is the final season for me. So far the only exciting one was the first season.
Sep 25, 2018 7:43 PM

Oct 2016
Great Episode, the CGI was done fine, people complain too much, the CGI probably made them way more creepier giving them a better effect in my opinion.
It could have been better but it was still really good.
Sep 25, 2018 7:51 PM

Jun 2013
[ CLAPPING INTENSIFIES ]
Sep 25, 2018 8:04 PM

Jan 2014
who cares about cgi, Ainz still lit af.
Sep 25, 2018 8:25 PM

Nov 2017
who ever said that "The CGI's are Fuck" or something....

i just said "DID YOU EVER BUY THE DVD OR BD VERSION?"

you guys only watched the one Piece Pirated Version...
Now Loading.....
Sep 25, 2018 9:04 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The content was great, but the presentation was utter dog shit. I get that animating thousands of characters is a pain and CGI must be used, but it's not even good CG. I find it hard to overlook the CGI when the only thing that went in my mind when watching the massacre was "wow, this looks bad", rather than "wow, this is intense/savage". Well, glad I decided to buy the novels instead since it delivers its content in a non-distracting way. Like, it's not hard to add in CG blood and gore if needed. Overlord's most brutal content feels so toothless in the anime. Hell, Berserk used CG, yet the CG was at times better than this, and it was still graphic despite it's bad visuals.

People are saying that the Dark Youngs are good CGI because it's not choppy and fluid. But that's not a good thing, since it heavily contrasts with the 2D animation. Had it been choppier (like Ajin-style or something like that), it would fit with the 2D animation more. The CG in this episode doesn't try to replicate hand-drawn animation (only the soldiers running kinda did that at times).

Still not a bad episode, just a bad adaptation.
Sep 25, 2018 9:45 PM

Apr 2018
Man those "Goats" look brutal as heck. This ep was amazing especially the end how even tho Gazef knew he couldn't fight against one of them he did anyway. Wonder what's going to happen in the last ep and can't wait for Gazef vs Ainz even tho we clearly know who is gonna win. Gazef is one of my favorite characters.
KarsaaaSep 25, 2018 9:50 PM
Sep 25, 2018 9:45 PM

Aug 2011
That was clearly pretty cheap CGI. Robotic movements of the soldiers are so unnatural OMG.
Sep 25, 2018 9:54 PM
Sep 2017
Tyrous36 said:
i'm dropping the anime, and just staying with the LN

Can you send me the link to the LN, thank you! :) Or do you read it off the actual hardcopy?
Sep 25, 2018 10:23 PM

Aug 2018
Thank you to all the LN readers for hyping me up for no reason. The killing 70000 people instantly sounded cool but they barely showed any people and there was no blood when people were getting crushed. I initially thought the monsters looked goofy and wasn't hyped at all but after seeing the pics on reddit of how they were supposed to looked I'm just massively disappointed. I still like the story and characters but the fighting scenes suck in this show.

I expected more from Madhouse, if they managed to make my favourite anime HxH 2011 then surely they could adapt 13 episodes properly.
<Insert clever quote>
Sep 25, 2018 10:32 PM
Apr 2016
UT33 said:
Tyrous36 said:
i'm dropping the anime, and just staying with the LN

Can you send me the link to the LN, thank you! :) Or do you read it off the actual hardcopy?

hello, i read it from an actual books. but couple of my friends read it online, i will ask them and then PM it to you.
Sep 25, 2018 10:33 PM

Sep 2017
in the Anime-verse yes it was a shitty CGI ... I didn't like it to be honest ... but as both a LN reader and a Anime watcher ... I can't hate it so much ...

budget-wise, I'm not very sure how the salary goes in the production of the anime to be honest, but isn't everybody that is part of the production get fixed salaries?

maybe a limitation to the industry itself, (IMO) apart from independent animator who has good skills in animation yet hasn't landed a good job in the animation industry apart from saying Disney Movies that takes years to complete but for only 1 movie, I think this is partly at fault with production limitations like every week releases...

but to be fair to Madhouse and the other opinions out there.

After the end of Season 2 they already announced Season 3 so I guess budget cuts are real.

Hoping for episode 13 to be a good ending where and without CGI since episode 12 left with a cliffhanger of the duel between Gazef and Papa Bones.

If you're a LN reader and an Anime watcher like me go ahead and meme it due to shitty CGI but we all know that it was a good episode at the very least ...
Sep 25, 2018 10:37 PM

Jul 2014
Sup with madhouse? They have had great series like HxH, OPM, NGNF with outstanding animation, but overlord, that is suppose to be very popular and highly anticipated, has berserk 2016 level animation LOL. What they animated does look a remotely as intimidating as this:

Is the budge that thigh for this season? I don't remember season 1 and 2 having so many episodes with bad GCI.
Sep 25, 2018 10:42 PM

Apr 2018
Those CGI Goats will give me nightmares for the next week.
Minori Chihara <3
Sep 25, 2018 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
Oh god, they have a clone army of bad CGI.

At last Mr. Skellington did some cool shit.
Sep 25, 2018 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
Man, that solider must be a real dumb shit if he had to ask why Goldy wanted Skeletor to show off his powers.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 2 Discussion

ichii_1 - Aug 8, 2018

42 by VickRune »»
Mar 3, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2018

267 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

220 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 9:16 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

177 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2018

166 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.