Forum Settings
Forums

Was your first anime strange by modern standards in any way?

New
Sep 22, 2018 12:41 PM

Jun 2017
I know that a lot of people's first anime is usually either a childhood show (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon and the like) or the typical shonen/power fantasy (Naruto, SAO, Fairy Tail etc.)

But did any of you watch a very strange first anime that don't fit into this genre?

I did. My watching order of my first anime was Another -> Corpse Party -> then the usual shit.
Sep 22, 2018 12:45 PM

Apr 2010
Ummm... my first anime was something of the Kodomo animes... not sure which though. the first anime I watched as I know it wasn't just an American cartoon was Inuyasha.

Sep 22, 2018 12:46 PM

Dec 2015

Well ofc my first anime was DragonBall and Pokemon but I woud not say that count's beacuse i was a child and didn't know what it was at the time.

When i found Hellsing 10 years ago I watched both Ultimate and the original at the same time without knowing it was anime and that I watched 2 diffrent typ of animes at the same time.

Sep 22, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
im a 80s-90s kid so watching DBZ, Slam Dunk and Sailormoon is strange by modern standards at that time seeing that there are lots of mecha anime shows at that time like Voltes V, Daimos, Saber Rider, Macross/Robotech, Voltron, Grandizer, etc
Sep 22, 2018 12:56 PM

Jan 2017
Blue Gender was the odd one out among other shows like Lupin III, Detective Conan/Case Closed, Galaxy Railways, and other titles meant for shounen demographic. Pretty much a Starship Troopers-esque anime with characteristics that made it 18+ (death, nudity, extreme violence) mixed in with the other shows I just named that are lighter in tone with the violence was a bit of a surprise.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/58/Blue_Gender
Sep 22, 2018 12:59 PM

Aug 2017
Yeah my first anime was welcome to the nhk
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2018 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
Moomin is a weird one thinking globally, but here in Finland every kid, their parents, and their parents watched that stuff.
Sep 22, 2018 1:09 PM

Jan 2013
Nah, the first anime I completed was Tokyo Mew Mew, which is a pretty normal thing coming from a 7 year old girl.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 22, 2018 1:49 PM

May 2014
I watched Cat Soup when i was very young and that was strange even when it was released.
Sep 22, 2018 1:52 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Digimon seems pretty out there because it has more plot and arcs for a "children's show" it also doesn't feel as infamous but I remember watching it on Fox religiously. Wish I could've seen something more morbid or weird at that age.
Sep 22, 2018 1:59 PM

Feb 2015
Rizelmine was among one of the first anime I watched, when the only anime I could get that wasn't DBZ on TV was from my friend who put episodes he downloaded on CD-ROMs. Yeah, that one was pretty freaking weird...
Sep 22, 2018 2:04 PM

Apr 2015
My first anime was Moomin, when I was kid I almost watched it everyday.
Sep 22, 2018 2:04 PM

Jul 2014
Mine was Lucky star and we all know how that is perceived as some otaku centric show that is hard to understand unless you have prior jp knowledge. But i still very much enjoyed it and is one of the few shows i've watched more than once.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Sep 22, 2018 3:57 PM

Aug 2016
Samia-don long time ago. it´s not strange, but looks too oldschool.
MichaelJacksonSep 22, 2018 4:07 PM
:v
Sep 22, 2018 4:27 PM

Jun 2015
I don't remember which was the first one. That's a problem.
Sep 22, 2018 4:48 PM
Aug 2017
If Pokémon doesn't count, then my first anime was soul eater.

I was 12-13ish when I first saw it and fell in love with the characters. It is still to this day one of my favourites.
Sep 22, 2018 4:55 PM

Dec 2017
My very first anime was this obscure title: https://myanimelist.net/anime/3836/Meiken_Jolie
Have no idea why but my fam had it on VHS and I'd watch it all the time as a kid, but I don't remember enough about it to put it on my list.
Sep 22, 2018 4:55 PM

May 2014
I started out watching a lot of ecchi, so I guess.
Sep 22, 2018 4:57 PM

Sep 2015
straight jacket, FlCl, and neon genesis.
first one gave me nightmares, but now it's just ok schlock
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Sep 22, 2018 5:06 PM

May 2017
If we're not counting movies (which was a Studio Ghibli movie for me), my first anime was legitimately Sonic X.

Something else to mention, it was the dub.
Sep 22, 2018 5:15 PM

Feb 2015
Sep 22, 2018 8:00 PM

Oct 2015
I see that ecchi is still stigmatized, so apparently so.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Sep 22, 2018 8:04 PM
Jul 2016
Not sure which one was my first, but I think it was Monster Rancher (not a language I spoke at the time, 6-7 years old, didn't watch episodes in order). Not particularly weird so no, I guess.
Sep 22, 2018 8:12 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I mean, Umishou. I feel like most people didn't start with an ecchi/sports comedy with 29k members, at least.

Sep 22, 2018 8:21 PM
Jul 2018
i honestly don't know what my first anime was.

i DO know DBZ is the anime that got me obsessed to the point of going out and buying a bunch of different anime on VHS in the late 90s.

i just know that definitely wasn't my first anime cuz I regularly watched the violent anime movies they played on the science fiction channel with my dad.

I also know I watched Speed Racer before then as well(although I didn't like it).

It's mainly just hard to say what I actually watched on the science fiction channel because I don't ever remember catching the title screen, and that was before there was such a thing as a TV guide channel or something that showed you what you were watching.
That was back in the channel surfing days where you had to flip through all the channels to see if there was anything good on...it never told you what you were watching lol.
Now you can just look at the TV guide and it shows you exactly what's on every channel and you can just instantly go to it.
Yeah you could choose a specific channel to go to, but there was no way to tell what was on it unless you knew exactly what you were watching.
We just watched it cuz it was cool and different. I mean adult-themed cartoons were really cool and exotic back then.
Now it's pretty common place.
Sep 22, 2018 8:23 PM

Sep 2016
My first anime was something I saw back in the 70's.. Speed Racer.
The only thing I think was strange about it by modern standards, was the dub.
It was like 3 people that did ALL the voices for the entire series.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 22, 2018 8:43 PM

Feb 2015
first highschool of the dead, i was 16 at the time and a friend recommended it, i stated watching anime proper a few months later when another friend recommended me Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke.
Sep 23, 2018 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
my first anime was one piece and it used to be my fav but now i just watch it to finish it
Sep 23, 2018 3:45 AM

May 2009
Nyxia_ said:
I know that a lot of people's first anime is usually either a childhood show (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon and the like) or the typical shonen/power fantasy (Naruto, SAO, Fairy Tail etc.)

But did any of you watch a very strange first anime that don't fit into this genre?

I did. My watching order of my first anime was Another -> Corpse Party -> then the usual shit.
If you don't count kids shows, the first anime series I watched as an adult was Neon Genesis Evangelion, which isn't a "typical shounen/power fantasy" but is OTOH one of those well-known "classics". But arguably that itself didn't "break me into anime" quite yet.

Rather, it was Kiddy Grade, which I watched almost by accident, and loved. NGE was recommended to me. Kiddy Grade, on the other hand, was something I just found by myself.

If you want to be even more comprehensive, you could say it was a combination of it and Stratos 4, at which point I started looking for recommendations on MAL and stuff like that.

Also probably Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which someone else started me on pretty early on and from which I ended up watching several things early on. Not all of which I enjoyed, but the Nanoha franchise is one I'm quite fond of.

It's even arguable that these early series were particularly influential on my tastes. Maybe I came in with some, but they certainly all gave me (1) characters I became fond of and (2) storylines that gave me intense feels, both of which are things I enjoy to this day. That said, earlier things I watched also gave me these things, so... (Also, arguably, (3) female protags doing important things, which wasn't present in earlier things I watched.)
GlennMagusHarveySep 23, 2018 3:48 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 23, 2018 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
My first anime was an ecchi that i discovered by accident on youtube when my parents were busy so i got to play with the computer
Umisho, i was very young and didn't understand how reading or sex works.
i never finished it until much later
the very fist anime i actually finished and could understand was Hyakka ryouran Samurai girls, it was on some now defunct german free streaming site that was somewhat similar to youtube
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Sep 23, 2018 3:49 AM

Jan 2018
I remember watching Beast Wars: Transformers back then. Good shit.
Sep 23, 2018 3:49 AM

May 2009
Lisbon said:
I mean, Umishou. I feel like most people didn't start with an ecchi/sports comedy with 29k members, at least.
VanVeleca said:
My first anime was an ecchi that i discovered by accident on youtube when my parents were busy so i got to play with the computer
the very fist anime i actually finished and could understand was Hyakka ryouran Samurai girls, it was on some now defunct german free streaming site that was somewhat similar to youtube
Did the two of you like grow up together or something? We've gotten TWO people who started with this one weird series (which I only know of from looking for swimming anime before Free existed).
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 23, 2018 4:04 AM

Jan 2016
Akage no Anne and older shoujo like Versailles no Bara and Lady Georgie aired when i was a kid.

Sep 23, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2018
Yes, my first anime was either Tom and Jerry or Hansel and Gretel
Sep 23, 2018 4:27 AM

Mar 2013
Unowen said:
I don't remember which was the first one. That's a problem.

This. If I'm counting stuff I watched as a kid, it gets very hazy. It was either yu yu Hakusho, trigun, or kenshin.
Sep 23, 2018 5:35 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Lisbon said:
VanVeleca said:
Did the two of you like grow up together or something? We've gotten TWO people who started with this one weird series (which I only know of from looking for swimming anime before Free existed).

We're from the same country too, for what it's worth, albeit Hamburg is pretty far from where I'm at xP

Kinda funny, though, ye. But more people knowing about the greatness that is Umishou is always welcome to me :V

Sep 23, 2018 11:13 AM

Feb 2018
My first anime was death note but if it had been something "strange" I probably wouldn't be here talking about it cuz it would have been the last one.
Sep 23, 2018 11:14 AM

Dec 2013
The first anime I saw was Pokemon... pretty normal, I'd say.

The first anime I watched online was Chobits. Magical girlfriend genre would probably raise some eyebrows.

The first anime I was a fan of was Rurouni Kenshin. Nothing unusual there.
Sep 23, 2018 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
Maburaho because I didn't know what harem/ecchi was.

Sep 23, 2018 9:52 PM

Aug 2015
My first anime was DBZ and well the battles just seemed to me exaggerate but just that, i really have enjoy anyways.

Sep 23, 2018 9:53 PM

Apr 2016
The first one I completed was Strike Witches.
Sep 23, 2018 11:03 PM

Aug 2018
My first anime to complete was Saint Seiya The Hades' OVAs or Princess Mononoke, don't know which came earlier. I loved Saint Seiya's fights and characters when I was 10, but Mononoke gave me nightmares til' this day. I absolutely loved it.

There, came Konjiki no Gash! and Inazuma Eleven. But it was Neon Genesis Evangelion the one who hooked me into anime. Its still my fav, no other could match yet.
Sep 25, 2018 2:20 AM

Nov 2017
Nyxia_ said:

Nope, I dont remember my first anime, bcoz back then i rarely see their tittle on TV.. (its probably saint seiya,doraemon, shincan, or Ninja kids or such)
Now Loading.....
Sep 25, 2018 2:38 AM

Jan 2017
LocalTrashcan said:
my first anime was legitimately Sonic X.

Same tbh, I didn't even know it was even qualified as an anime.
Sep 25, 2018 5:36 AM

Mar 2017
I forgot the name of the very first Anime film I saw as a kid, I would love to track it down, but it seems impossible. All I remember is that it was an action/sci fi movie with giant woodlouse/crustacean type creatures in it. It was definitely not the typical anime you described.

Also, when getting into anime in recent years, the first show I watched was Neon Genesis Evangelion. So again, not your typical anime and definitely strange by today's standards. Next was Ergo Proxy, then Serial Experiments Lain.. so yeah, a whole bunch of weird shows to start. It's no wonder Death Note blew me away. lol
Sep 25, 2018 6:48 AM
Sep 2018
Well, the first anime I can remember watching were Gigantor, Speed Racer and G-Force. Looking back on it, a two-year-old watching a 60's anime in the 90's nd being nerded out by it all the way to now is slightly... odd... But, I don't think there was anything strange about it.

I keep asking my older friends if they ever watched any of those shows. Result: 0 out of 776! So, I guess I AM strange.
Apache_AriesSep 25, 2018 6:51 AM
Sep 25, 2018 8:07 AM

May 2017
ChaosEmblem said:
LocalTrashcan said:
My first anime was legitimately Sonic X.

Same tbh, I didn't even know it was even qualified as an anime.

Same here. I always got so confused when I’d find Japanese sub episodes on YouTube.
Sep 30, 2018 12:09 AM

Aug 2018
I don't actually remember my first anime but it was probably Princess Tutu, which isn't that strange but with the way quite a few people react, especially if i'm talking to them in real life, it's like it's more obscure than Kaiketsu Zorro
just give me food and let me sleep

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

21 by Orokanatenshi »»
38 seconds ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 13 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 48 minutes ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.