Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2018 4:08 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kinda cool first episode
Sep 5, 2018 6:51 AM

Feb 2018
Yahh from start is good but hard to find fansub to translate.
Sep 14, 2018 10:24 AM

Dec 2014
the girl is so formidable …. I hope she talks rather than just being all quiet…
Sep 19, 2018 5:57 PM

Aug 2017
Ono is a bit exaggerated but, at least, the games were nostalgic like Street Fighter II. The comedy is ok but they need to avoid that the MC getting punched/kicked/ran over every time lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 9, 2018 2:30 PM

May 2012
Pretty weird start of this anime, the game portion is fun but the CGI really does bother me quite a bit... do wonder what this series will hold in terms of story! But well let's see what's next.
Oct 15, 2018 9:59 AM

Oct 2017
i don't like the animation but at the same time it doesn't get in the way of me trying to enjoy the anime. op-ed songs are great! and of course the plot is a very simple boy-meets-girl but packed with videogame references. this is probably going to be one of those experiences where i like the anime just because of the repertoire but. idk i guess i'll watch a few more episodes and see if it goes anywhere!
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Dec 9, 2018 12:36 AM

Aug 2015
Well, I see what happened here. They spent all their money on licensing game IPs and had to resort to CGI.

Gamer girl + 90s period piece + oujosama...I'll definitely keep watching for the time being

Getting hit by oujasama's chauffeur? Boy, you're in the money now, that's an open and shut lawsuit!
Dec 24, 2018 9:58 AM

Oct 2012
Not only do I love the old video games but it's even better that they're describing the strategies and game play.
Dec 30, 2018 9:57 PM
Jun 2013
that was kind of cute. Also this show must be expensive if they are using so much gaming footage.
Jan 3, 2019 10:06 PM

May 2015
Netflix Spanish dub is on point for this one. It's sometimes a hit or miss with dubs but this time they nailed it. I loved the first episode.
Jan 8, 2019 4:18 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I somehow have a soft spot for young girl/boy wacky hijinks who are teetering on romance but they're too young for it. And old arcade games being the connecting factor is quite something to marvel at.

I actually liked the comedy and cgi weirdly unpopular opinion. I think it's a bit rough here and there but def some of the best stylized for both.

Binge time.
Jan 19, 2019 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
This anime is really hilarious, lol
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 21, 2019 1:51 PM

Oct 2010
I remember the guile stuff but it wasn't that illeagal, some might get pissed but a win is a win. Damn nostalgia.
Jan 25, 2019 1:23 AM

May 2013
Why would you pick a weakling like GUILE to play? Lol X) Ryu and Fei Long ftw.

Also, I was confused on why he said she won against Vega using Dhalsim when she was fighting against M Bison??? Then when he was playing the game, it was Dhalsim VS Blanca :/ Maybe the animators just didn't know the chara names well.... lol... but as a SF fangirl, it would've been nice for them to do proper research on it TT^TT oh wells.

Not sure how I feel about this anime lol. I like it, but the screaming tantrum couple was really off-putting and sometimes the art style creeps me out, like when the obaasan was glaring at them D:> YiKES.
Feb 6, 2019 3:05 PM
Apr 2016
I expected this to be really unfun to watch because of the weird artstyle, but it's actually pretty fun...
Mar 4, 2019 9:38 AM

Jun 2015
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:

Also, I was confused on why he said she won against Vega using Dhalsim when she was fighting against M Bison???

M. Bison is called Vega in Japan. Do some research as well :P
Mar 4, 2019 9:19 PM

May 2013
Switch_Z said:
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:

Also, I was confused on why he said she won against Vega using Dhalsim when she was fighting against M Bison???

M. Bison is called Vega in Japan. Do some research as well :P

Yeah, I rewatched the whole series with my older brother and he explained it to me already. No research needed lol. But thanks.
Mar 25, 2019 1:06 AM
Aug 2012
Pretty decent first episode! I could pick up where they were trying to be funny and bring light on their characters, but most of it I didn't find too funny and maybe chuckled a tad. But not such a bad start off at all!
Apr 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Jun 2017
this was entertaining. so the girl is actually a b**** huh? hope to hear her talk soon. the developments will be entertaining for sure.
May 3, 2019 1:39 AM
Oct 2007
The first episode is surprisingly fun to watch!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2019 2:03 PM

Feb 2014
Well, time for some Netflix watch, I heard this is a good romance anime, so I have somewhat high expectations.

Not a fan of how she hits him all the time, hopefully it stops soon.

The video games are nice.
Jul 4, 2019 9:28 AM

Sep 2012
i hope she wont stay mute, it takes away from the show
Aug 8, 2019 12:41 AM

Jan 2008
I heard some good things about this so I decided to watch it.

From this episode, I really enjoyed the discussion of the gaming tactics. I've played SF and other fighting games before, but I was never any good at them, so it was interesting to see the different strategies involved.

Unfortunately, this is where the good things end. The main character was really loud and obnoxious and overall seems like a loser and the main girl is violent and abusive. If there is one anime cliche that needs to disappear it's the "girl hitting guy for comedy" one. IT's way overdone and all it does is make the girl unlikable and the guy pathetic (and as a result - also unlikable).
Sep 14, 2019 4:14 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Now I understand where the title's name comes from!
First episode set the mood really well, I m very interested in seeing more, Ono is cute, but it has to be said every other girl on this so far is UGLY, like damm, so it is not that hard to have her stand out (other girls calling her cute, but of course, compared you your horse face's she would be considered a goddess).
I hope we get to know why she isnt able to talk in the future.

glassknuckles said:
Well, I see what happened here. They spent all their money on licensing game IPs and had to resort to CGI.

Gamer girl + 90s period piece + oujosama...I'll definitely keep watching for the time being

Getting hit by oujasama's chauffeur? Boy, you're in the money now, that's an open and shut lawsuit!

If that is even true, the anime ending using CG to this extent is not bad by any means, it was really well done IMO.

It was refreshing to see such an heavy focus on arcades like this, I know something about Streety Figher, enough to understand, but it was the Street of Rage cameo that really hit the spot for me, I LOVE those kind of games so much~~
Nov 26, 2019 8:14 PM
Aug 2017
Came back to this a year later. Oh God this is so under rated <3
Jun 5, 2020 3:12 PM
Aug 2018
For an anime about video games its only fit that theOP goes as hard as this one. I don’t normally like OP’s but this one is a banger no cap
Jul 8, 2020 9:05 PM
Jun 2020
If she could talk this would be a lot better
Jul 8, 2021 4:21 AM

Feb 2020
Just my taste and preference: I dislike 3D/CGI. Feels like it would be a good show, but I'm so put off by animation and artstyle that I can't take it seriously. However, I intend to watch this entire franchise despite that. Seeing those high ratings must mean something, right? Not gonna waste the chance to possibly see something fun and sweet!

Hoping for more "retro" game cameos and development for romance!
Mar 30, 2022 9:28 AM

Mar 2013
I'm not really fond of the character's designs or more like, I disliked it the moment I laid my eyes on it since it feels unnatural and robotic to my eyes. It is really disturbing.

Anyway, the comedy (inferiority complex) of our MC is really hilarious to see. That slap was awesome. 🤣🤣🤣 Good job girl!

But man, watching Akira kick butts is really cute... in game and in their real life... lol

Just saw the "Love Polygon" tag... first time I've seen that... Hmm... 🤔

P.S. Those animation violence is really hard to watch.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Aug 30, 2022 6:45 PM
Jan 2020
This is honestly better than I thought
Sep 4, 2022 10:14 AM
Nov 2019
I might be wrong in what I say but the animation is very western lol I mean I am just up to episode 1 and I haven’t seen what adults look like yet lol
Jun 11, 2023 2:27 PM

Dec 2022
Great first episode
Jun 21, 2023 6:47 PM
Jul 2022
I don't have a problem with the usage of CG. The CG itself actually looks fine. CG can be a good way to cut corners if you cannot afford good animation. That being said, the CG characters barely even move in this show. It'd be bad enough if they were 2D characters that are just stills most of the time, but this is the worst of both worlds: a CGI PowerPoint slide presentation. When they aren't showing lifeless stills of character models, they're showing some gameplay of Street Fighter II. I like this show's art style, but it is clearly not being done justice.
From a writing standpoint, this introduction was okay. It wasn't offensively bad, but nothing stood out. My primary issue here is with the lifeless look of the show. Made me feel like I was bored and wasting my time.
Nov 13, 2023 6:51 PM

Dec 2022
The artstyle is odd. It's like Sazae-san or something.

Ambivalent about the comedy so far. The video game meta stuff is engaging, but the random violence comes across more as cheap slapstick than humour with a solid foundation.

The CG actually looks neat and unintrusive, possibly because of how stylised the characters are.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 22, 2023 6:36 PM
May 2019
The art-style is extremely ugly. Luckily I have been won over by the video game nostalgia and the stupidity of the characters.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 3 Discussion

nehnehneji - Aug 10, 2018

46 by Strikrr »»
Jan 5, 12:56 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

148 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

67 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 9:03 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2018

68 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 8:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.