Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 14, 2018 1:07 AM

Mar 2012
This was amazing, the sadist inside me was satisfied.
Sep 14, 2018 7:19 AM

Aug 2017
This show made me to hate Dino and Ash's brother killer.

Shorter was used as a lab rat for Banana Fish. And now, Ash is forced to kill him to save Eiji. RIP Shorter.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 18, 2018 12:30 AM
Aug 2016
Yorkshire_Megan said:
Sage17 said:
Does anyone know if they're going to be including content from the spin off series in the anime? Because they alluded to Angel Eyes when Shorter looked at the angel and was able to recompose himself. I think it would add a lot if they did.

Angel Eyes is going to be adapted to a drama CD included with the first BD/DVD release. An OVA would have been nice though... Maybe there'll do an OVA for the epilogue story with the final volume.
Thank you! I agree an OVA would be really nice. I love this series.
Sep 23, 2018 2:50 PM

Dec 2016
Ash must feel terrible after all this, not to mention he have lost too many friends since episode 1! Just how much will he suffer TT_TT Ash is strong but this was too much for him to handle. My heart feels tight with sadness ;-; and I liked Shorter dammit!

Intense episode! Arthur, you are the worst knight ever existed in history, a sadistic villain! ><

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 24, 2018 6:06 PM

Mar 2016
So just finished episode 11 of angolmois where

and now after coming back to banana fish the first episode im watching is this ... Jesus have some mercy hahahaha

Oct 23, 2018 10:24 PM

May 2014
Honestly that angel reference got me super fucked up
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Dec 6, 2018 3:16 PM

Jul 2016
SHORTER!!! ;_; Damn it! The guy I liked the most in the show is now gone and they won't even let him rest in peace... now that scientist will slice his brain to see the effects the drug had in it. Fuck!

Well, that aside, I would say that this was my favorite episode, it was really good although there were some things I didn't like but overall, I really "enjoyed" it.

The whole scene where Shorter tried to kill Eiji was quite intense and I really felt bad for him for living in a neverending nightmare while being alive. Not to mention that the moment when he was looking at the angel was a nice addition, being honest. It was really touching since all he wanted was to be free from that torture inside his head.

And regarding something I didn't like about the ep., I think the bit of comedy they used during the dinner scene regarding Max and Ibe's facial expressions was really unnecessary. They all were in a very dangerous situation so I don't really know why make it less threatening.
Dec 14, 2018 6:59 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Really intense.
Was expecting for a loop out of the situation, but seems like that when you take Banana Fish it is over for you... what retarded name, but noneless a real nightmare (though I would have liked to for to portray whatever goings inside one's head when the drug takes effect, wanted to see that visually).
Dec 19, 2018 8:22 AM

Oct 2017
Wow what a depressing episode.

Eiji and Yut-Lang were both quite close to being assaulted by Dino. Thankfully Ash and the gang arrived in time for it not to come to that.

Poor Shorter became a lab rat for Banana Fish. It’s crazy to see how fast he lost it. That awful scientist convinced him that Eiji was his enemy. What scum.

Ash was tied up and forced to watch Shorter try and kill Eiji. It was so painful to see Shorter ask Ash to “free” him. In the end, the only thing Ash could do was shoot Shorter. It’s awful considering how close the two of them were. I guess he’s finally free though. And poor Eiji..he really should’ve went back to Japan when he had the chance.

I really hope Dawson and Arthur die soon. They’re both such awful people.
Jan 17, 2019 6:05 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I swear, this show only seems to get crazier, just how much would they make Ash suffer? How much can he take in?
It looks like the drug still has some weaknesses to have the targets maintain somewhat of consciousness. I don't want to believe that Shorter is dead, really, I really hope they treat him and patch up his scares as soon as possible, although, that looked like a fatal hit.
Every day my disgust towards the mafia Don is exploding, even more, that stupid piece of shit, get your gay ass down the deepest abyss you fdsjifosdokpseqilpsdqpm.
Mar 28, 2019 7:12 AM

Dec 2013
I don't like this. Another tragedy :( Shorter :( TRAGEDY after tragedy in each episode. This is too painful to watch I'm not sure if I can keep watching this. I want to gouge out Arthur's eyes and torture him. I want to kill him so badly. I'm so mad. This episode made me so damn mad. I hate how Eiji can't even protect himself OMG

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 14, 2019 3:40 PM

Dec 2013
SHORTER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :((
May 30, 2019 9:28 AM

Oct 2010
Oh God this one hit hard. Hard. Considering how fast the show has been going on, sometimes I felt that I needed time to process everything that was happening, but I didn't expect Shorter to take the fall here, and in such a depressing manner too.

Poor Ash, really. I have no idea how are they going to get out of this shite.
Aug 23, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2010
That evil laugh at the end was overkill :x

Man, I really liked Shorter. I guess after he was injected with Banana Fish it was too late to save him anyway, so it's not like Ash could have done anything more... I hate how most of main characters in this series either die or get seriously violated, this is getting more and more messed up.
Aug 23, 2019 5:51 PM

Aug 2007
God, Max sniffing the wine was killing meeee.

Sep 3, 2019 6:03 AM
Jan 2019
Shorter I will never forget you
now I hate modern studies about drugs
Sep 18, 2019 7:21 AM

Mar 2015
RIP Shorter Wong :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 1, 2019 11:32 PM

Jan 2013
I had to skip the parts when Shorter was trying to kill Eji. It was too hard to watch. I'm sad that he had to be shot and killed by Ash.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2019 3:20 AM
Apr 2019
jesus i dont know what else to say, but that all of the characters should go to therapy asap after what happened
Dec 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Jun 2019
How in the holy banana fishin' hell is this a Shoujo? I understand the manga was in a Shoujo publication, but usually material this dark with heavy real world implications is marked in the male equivalent market as Seinen, not Shounen. You'd think it'd at least be Josei if anything.
Apr 25, 2020 3:28 PM
Oct 2019
A very sad, still amazing episode... So touching and emotional I have tears down my cheeks flowing non stop after the end... The story's been very good from the beginning and it's getting better and more complicated in every episode, this means also real scenes, sad scenes...

A big thank you to everyone Who recommended this anime ❤️ and a very big thank you for the anime staff and manga author
Jun 10, 2020 8:04 PM
Jan 2019
it hurts........
Sep 9, 2020 1:38 PM
Apr 2019
An emotionally strong episode.Shorter got relieved from his ongoing pain.I think he remembered his sister when he saw that sculpture.
Arthur sometimes look like Reiner lol.Both share same VA too.
Sep 10, 2020 2:50 AM

Oct 2013
I've been putting off watching this show for years. (I'm blind to all spoilers, I just heard that this show will fuck you up) Now I'm starting to get why everyone's crying about it. Or am I not even there yet...? haha...

This is the episode that started to really get to me. Was ugly sobbing by the end of the episode. What in the ever loving f...? I really liked Shorter too... That was such a terrible experience for Ash. And I just have the feeling things will only get worse for him from now on.
Everyone who's involved with him is probably going to get hurt...
Damn, I've been underexposed to dark stuff lately, I need a short break before I resume watching lol
Nov 11, 2020 4:16 PM
Aug 2020
so fucking sad bro i can't :'(
Nov 18, 2020 10:27 PM

Jul 2020
NOT SHORTER, HE WAS SO COOL. i'm not crying but im kinda steamed
Dec 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Mar 2019
ash having to kill shorter.. what kind of sick torture is this omg? these people are messed up
Jan 13, 2021 11:27 PM
Oct 2019
shorter was already dead. ash had no choice but to kill him. but poor shorter. betrays his best friend in order to save his sister, but dies a horrible death anyways

I want ash to kill the senator, the colonel, dino, the Lees, EVERYBODY, but I'm not sure this is that type of show. I'm not sure we're going to get a "happy" ending.
Jan 30, 2021 10:53 AM

Aug 2007
How much should Ash must suffer? Damn it.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Feb 8, 2021 9:03 AM

Nov 2019
This was intense. I'm speechless. Poor Ash :(
I hate that bakemono Arthur!
Mar 17, 2021 6:10 AM

Jun 2020
RIPㅜㅡㅜ Shorter deserved better (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)
I got the chills when Arthur told Ash that he only had 1 bullet.....and he used that bullet to end Shorter’s suffering instead of killing anyone else in that room. And thank you for explaining the Angel Eyes reference, I’m anime-only & was wondering what that scene was (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)

Poor Eiji.....poor Shorter.....POOR ASH(つ .•́ _ʖ •̀.)つ

Also was that an inconsistency or did I just miss something out. Was Yut Lung supposed to be at the dinner table.....?? It seemed like he only came out of the room right after having unlocked the door with the passcode.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 5, 2021 6:40 PM
Mar 2021
Wow, the way they decided to kill off Shorter was heartwrenching
Apr 10, 2021 11:56 PM

Jan 2021
EVEN AS A MANGA READER WATCHING ALL OF THAT UNFOLD WAS STRESSFUL AF, THE PAIN WAS AMPLIFIED 100x WITH ALL THE VOICE ACTING.

Yeah... THIS is why it was SO. FREAKING. HARD. to see anime-onlys get so attached to Shorter. Heck, even I grew more attached to him than I was in the manga (granted I read the manga knowing he was gonna kick the bucket but still). The little moments of Shorter being protective of Eiji ever since they met (e.g. at the clinic, in the truck, jumping into the river, cape cod, the whole yut lung gig) become even MORE heartbreaking when you know what happens later/in this episode--the tragic irony of Shorter himself becoming the source of danger for Eiji. Tbh I was lowkey surprised not a lot of people tried predicting this happening (or maybe y'all were just in denial? Lmao).

BUT MAAAAAAN THIS EPISODE. From the voice acting (Bravo to Makoto Furukawa especially) to the animation, it was (painfully) amazing. Narrative-wise, it highlights what Max meant when he said he “had no other choice” but to do what he did to Griffin (recall ep 3). Ash never understood what he meant until HE had to experience it himself with Shorter.

Ash, for both Shorter’s and Eiji’s sake, had no other choice but to pick up that gun. (One could argue that Ash could have done what Max did: shoot him in the legs. But this is a perfected banana fish drug. Shorter would have still suffered from the pain of the drug, and in the moment, Ash was primarily thinking about not letting Eiji get killed first. Plus, Shorter himself was already asking for it. Ash did what he had to do, and honored Shorter's wishes.)

(I just realized now why the mangaka possibly decided to go with knives as Shorter's primary weapon. Had it been a gun, Eiji would have been killed off by him more easily.)

Also: THAT ANGEL EYES REFERENCE FUCK (Angel Eyes is the side story included in the last volume that tells the story of how Ash and Shorter met in juvenile prison... There, Shorter compares Ash to an angel....they really went there...)

On a lighter note (is it even possible with this episode?), as i thought, Sing finally makes his appearance! It's hard to celebrate him joining the story though given what happened in this episode... (his intro theme though HELL YES) Fuck... I'm frustrated over the fact that Sing's arrival in the story marks Shorter's own departure... (Btw: Sing and Alex, the guy with the denim jacket, are the no. 2s of Shorter's and Ash's gangs respectively)

Notice in the OT3 shot in the OP that Shorter's a little separated from Ash and Eiji? Yeah... the foreshadowing's been there all along folks.

For those wondering, in the scene with Dino, Yut Lung, and Eiji, they didn't go through with it. The dialogue heavily implies that, so you can rest assured that Shorter was able to fulfill his duty/promise of not letting Eiji get toyed by Dino. (I would have preferred this scene to be erased entirely tbh, highkey disappointed they included it, I AM SO MAD. Also WTF in the manga Eiji was at least half naked in that scene why did they make that part even more nauseating)

Shorter literally had to die before anything happened to Eiji. (I think I just died writing this sentence)

RIP Shorter. You were the best bro, and Banana Fish's world didn't deserve you. RIP also to Shorter fans.
CalmTeaTimeJan 8, 2022 2:46 PM
May 24, 2021 3:26 PM

Jan 2021
I’m so sad :(. It’s only episode 9 and this happened T___T.
Jul 16, 2021 2:17 AM

Jun 2019
Holy shit this episode is so intense. I really feel bad for Shorter, Eiji, Max, Ibe, and especially for Ash ;___;

Ash knew that in the end, Shorter was a faithful friend. That "angel" scene also rips my heart out. Aaaa....
Aug 9, 2021 9:04 PM
Feb 2020
I was wrong, NOW I'M SAD
Nov 3, 2021 11:19 AM
Feb 2020
I didn't expect Ash to kill Shorter.
Dec 18, 2021 9:43 AM
Nov 2020
Honestly it felt really good to see Ash kill that stupid doctor man xD
Feb 20, 2022 2:22 PM

Aug 2009
Damn, RIP Shorter. This was absolutely brutal for Ash.
Feb 27, 2022 8:34 PM
Apr 2021
I teared up for Shorter. What a horrible way to go. :(
Jul 12, 2022 10:10 PM

Jan 2015
Shorter, you didn’t deserve this. Y-Y

Sep 19, 2022 12:54 AM
May 2021
Bruh gay shit always *cheffs kiss*
Nov 10, 2022 5:08 AM
Oct 2019
RIP Shorter...
They really made Ash kill him...

those bastard need to be tortured before they die.
Feb 9, 2023 1:50 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
DAMN.

One of the most tragic deaths, ever? Shorter dies, his mind taken over, not in a blaze of glory, but going down without a shot of redemption. The last thing he sees are the eyes of a frightened boy who he is about to kill against his will, before getting shot in the back, by one of his closest friends. What the hell, man. I knew this show had some weight to it, but if it wasn't obvious enough already, it has been made clear that it is not holding back anything.

I don't know whether this was intentional or not, but I love what they did with Yut-Lung towards the end, where they show him being able to break out of his room, sneak around, and even come across everything that was going on in the execution chamber, where a seemingly hopeless situation was occurring. So even just subconsciously, the viewer is likely to think that because they show Yut-Lung sneaking around, that he would somehow be the one to save the day and get everyone out alive. It is revealed in this episode as well that he loathes his brothers, and might even think similarly for Golzine, so it wouldn't be out of place for him to rescue them all out of the kindness of his heart. But that's weak sh*t, and from a narrative standpoint, it doesn't make total sense either. I'm not sure how his character develops down the road, but even in the case in which he becomes sympathetic of Ash and the others, it is still far too early (probably) for him to think that way. It's dark, but this was the best way for this episode to unfold. Shorter's tragic death, and Yut-Lung having simply observed it all, keeping it in his memory from now on. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 14, 2023 2:54 AM

Dec 2020
Well F

RIP Shorter
Feb 24, 2023 3:44 PM
Jan 2018
cf dxcv s vf sfags xyvc s fga
Mar 1, 2023 1:11 AM
Oct 2021
Injiru-chan said:
I've been putting off watching this show for years. (I'm blind to all spoilers, I just heard that this show will fuck you up) Now I'm starting to get why everyone's crying about it. Or am I not even there yet...? haha...

This is the episode that started to really get to me. Was ugly sobbing by the end of the episode. What in the ever loving f...? I really liked Shorter too... That was such a terrible experience for Ash. And I just have the feeling things will only get worse for him from now on.
Everyone who's involved with him is probably going to get hurt...
Damn, I've been underexposed to dark stuff lately, I need a short break before I resume watching lol

Same!!!

This is episode f**** me up for real!!! I'm crying like crazy, I haven't cried yet but this one episode got me.. other episodes are sad too but this one.. Why!!!?? *Spoiler* Why Shorter has to suffer this!!??? Why!!!! Why is it the good guys has to suffer that kind of predicament!?? I hate all Golzine gang!!!
Apr 4, 2023 2:57 PM
Aug 2020
Non pas Shorter >:( !
Jun 26, 2023 7:18 AM

Jan 2017
Damn, it doesn't get more depressing than this. I really liked shorter. The fact that he died this gruesome within the first half makes me worry for the rest of the main cast. This story doesn't pull any punches.

The episode was great though. I was impressed by the cinematography.
Jul 20, 2023 3:01 PM
Aug 2019
Bro ☠☠☠☠
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

346 by carladepalabras »»
Apr 25, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.