3It was OK
2.3%
2Disliked it
2.3%
1Hated it
2.3%
Average 4.7
561 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 30, 2018 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, I feel bad for Shorter Wong this episode. The pain he went through while being held like an experimental rat like that looked fucking painful.

On the other hand, I like the way Ash dressed himself. Very gentleman-like and he also stays his cool during the talk with powerful men. Unfortunately, he also gets caught into a predictament. I think Shorter may also be broken mentally...

Crazy episode!
Aug 30, 2018 9:56 AM
Nov 2015
poor shorter, we feel so bad for him.This story is so good and was amazing episode
Aug 30, 2018 10:55 AM

Dec 2015
I'm not really convinced,

most of this episode seemed forced, Ash wasn't always acting true to this apparent characterization, I felt as though he could've handled the situation differently and the comic pose of Arthur was just overkill, ost also didn't really fit the tension
Aug 30, 2018 11:01 AM
Jun 2016
I WANT TO FUCKING TORTURE THE SHIT OF DINO,ARTHUR, DOC AND THEIR FOLLOWERS YOU DISGUSTING SHITS
SHORTER DID NOT DESERVE ANY OF THIS
ASH DID NOT DESERVE ANY OF THIS
YOU ASSHOLES
Aug 30, 2018 11:08 AM

Aug 2018
Jacksnapp said:
I'm not really convinced,

most of this episode seemed forced, Ash wasn't always acting true to this apparent characterization, I felt as though he could've handled the situation differently and the comic pose of Arthur was just overkill, ost also didn't really fit the tension

Just wondering, which of Ash's actions did not align with your perception of his characterization?
Aug 30, 2018 11:12 AM

Feb 2017
I don't know what to say... This hurts even more than when I was reading it... Last time I cried so much,

This time I was much more attached to Shorter... And I'm still crying so forgive me for so many dots, they're my feelings.
Oh, yeah. We got to see Sing this episode. The only positive thing that happened, besides - of course - seeing Alex, Bones and Kong again. But they're not officially introduced yet so nevermind.
Am I the only one who thinks that Sing's voice doesn't really suit him?
Anyway, I'm heartbroken right now. And you know what? This isn't even the worst thing that is going to happen in Banana Fish...

Oh yeah, I just remembered. That moment when Shorter was looking at the statue... Nice Angel Eyes reference.
anneloraAug 30, 2018 11:28 AM
Aug 30, 2018 11:39 AM

Apr 2010
Whoaaa this episode was so intense... Weird that the manga didn't get anime adaptation much earlier, only after 20 years
Aug 30, 2018 11:42 AM

Jun 2008
I've read the manga so many times that I didn't think I would cry, but the moment when Shorter looked at the angel really got to me. I loved that they included that Angel Eyes reference. It's too bad they aren't making an OVA for the story of when Ash and Shorter met.

RIP to Best Boy Shorter. But a new best boy has made his appearance this episode.
Aug 30, 2018 11:56 AM

Nov 2016
Shorters death flag was too fucking strong, rip boy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 30, 2018 11:59 AM

Feb 2017
I couldn't watch without crying. How Ash is mentally tortured... it's unbearable to even watch.
That's why it's 10/10.
Aug 30, 2018 12:05 PM

Feb 2017
I haven't read the manga.
But it's such a beautiful adaptation. Both Ash and Shorter suffered like hell in this episode. I know I'm weird, but I felt a little relieved when Shorter died. It felt like he's freed from the hell he's been living in...but only to leave Ash in more mental damage. The amount of pain Ash is enduring, you know, death seems like a better option than to hold all of these agony inside. I'm touched by the psychological insertion here.
Aug 30, 2018 12:49 PM

Jun 2014
Shorter really went through a lot of shit in these last few episodes. Having to choose between being loyal to Ash or his fellow Chinese people, betraying Ash and kidnapping Eiji even though he didn't want to, failing to protect Eiji, and being used as a lab rat to show off the effects of Banana Fish. Maybe death was the better alternative.

Things just seem to get worse and worse for Ash as well, as he had to kill one of his closest friends. RIP Shorter.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 30, 2018 12:49 PM

Aug 2016
Q___Q Nooooooo

...Ash's life is already f*cked up as it is, wonder how he will deal with the fact that he killed his best friend (as you might define their relationship). Or if he's even able to deal with it at all.

This episode breaks my heart, I've grown fond of Shorter :( Poor Shorter, Poor Eiji, Poor Ash.
(But still the anime is so good, it leaves me on edge every episode)
Aug 30, 2018 12:53 PM

Feb 2018
hirahira said:
I loved that they included that Angel Eyes reference. It's too bad they aren't making an OVA for the story of when Ash and Shorter met.

Perhaps they will in the future if this series is popular enough? I'd love to see young Shorter reference his family from that Christmas card, as well as giving a better perspective as to why to turned into the gang. Fingers crossed they actually do it!

Aug 30, 2018 1:02 PM

Jun 2008
foxsuprise said:
hirahira said:
I loved that they included that Angel Eyes reference. It's too bad they aren't making an OVA for the story of when Ash and Shorter met.

Perhaps they will in the future if this series is popular enough? I'd love to see young Shorter reference his family from that Christmas card, as well as giving a better perspective as to why to turned into the gang. Fingers crossed they actually do it!

They are making a drama CD for it instead.
Aug 30, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
so will they adapt the whole series in this season or will there be a second one?..
Aug 30, 2018 1:22 PM

Jun 2009
hate this ep it was way too sad *crys*
Aug 30, 2018 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
annelora said:
I don't know what to say... This hurts even more than when I was reading it... Last time I cried so much,

This time I was much more attached to Shorter... And I'm still crying so forgive me for so many dots, they're my feelings.
Oh, yeah. We got to see Sing this episode. The only positive thing that happened, besides - of course - seeing Alex, Bones and Kong again. But they're not officially introduced yet so nevermind.
Anyway, I'm heartbroken right now. And you know what? This isn't even the worst thing that is going to happen in Banana Fish...

Oh yeah, I just remembered. That moment when Shorter was looking at the statue... Nice Angel Eyes reference.

Oh god, for some reason I didn't expect it to be a manga spoiler...
Aug 30, 2018 1:37 PM
Nov 2017
THAT WAS FUCKING INSANE
although athur's laugh was a bit overkill.
Aug 30, 2018 1:49 PM

Jul 2017
Well, after everything Shorter has gone through the past few episodes and especially being drugged like that, death actually sounds like a decent option for him, to put him out of his misery.

It was a really good episode with a lot of suffering, pain and sadism. Love that shit.
Aug 30, 2018 1:53 PM

Sep 2011
To think that Shorter would be subjected to the Banana Fish, to die like that, and to continue to have his body trampled with even after losing his life. It's too much, this is beyond inhumane, this was the first time I cried for real with an episode of Banana Fish. The way those despicable criminals tried to make Shorter kill Eiji right in front of Ash and their friends, the way they turned it into a show, just to torture Ash in the worst possible way, I can't even, it was too brutal, the way Ash had to kill Shorter, his best friend, with his own hands in order to save Eiji, someone that he truly cares for, was too much, at least his voice reached him one last time, but all that Shorter could do was to beg to be set free from that torment, this is mortifying, I don't have the words. And to make things even worse that despicable "scientist" tried to justify himself for what he was doing, for what he did, and Arthur was acting like this gruesome development was his "merit". I can't stand him. This is too much.

And I feel sorry for Yut-Lung too, being used to something like that to that point is just sad, and Ash had to go through it too, unable to fight back, and now Eiji, who had a good life so far, is getting to witness first hand the kind of hell he had to go through, at least nothing happened here, at least not yet. This. Is. Too. Much. It's not like I expected a merry story, but this is killing me.
Aug 30, 2018 2:01 PM

Nov 2011
The only good thing in this anime is now dead. Shorter was seriously the only reason why I continued. You literally just killed off the best character. Dropped. 1/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 30, 2018 2:44 PM

Feb 2018
hirahira said:
foxsuprise said:

They are making a drama CD for it instead.

Oh shit, now I'm excited! :D Is it audio-only or actual animation?

Aug 30, 2018 2:51 PM
Aug 2018
This episodes killed me. I knew what was going to happen as a plot, but not like that.
Ash in suit and Shorter's abs don't make me happy since my two favs suffers.
The dinner scene was uncomfortable and strange, and the word "owner"... Fuck you Goldzine.
Arthur is handsome, but his personality is completely scum. Damn.
I hate it.
I still hate Yue-Lung, and i'm happy Dino didn't touch Eiji entirely. ...
Sing appears, and i love him.
But...Shorter...
He is such a good boy, so brave, so goodhearted. I cried when he was in the laboratory. Injecting the drug was too much...
I want Dino and Arthur to die, and Abraham Dawson suffer from banana fish, in jail. He deserves to be injected. Death for him would be freedom..
I'm still crying for Shorter...he doesn't deserve it. God.
The reference to Angel Eyes is cruel. It seems like Ash and Shorter's beginning and ending of their friendship.
Ash now can feel what Max felt, in a worse way.
Max knew Griffith during war, Ash knows Shorter for years.
He cried a lot more than in other episodes.
Ash could blame himself, feel guilty, consider himself dirt in blood, bringing death to his cherished ones, but for Shorter, he will always be the angel that gave him a last act of mercy saving him from a living hell.
R.I.P. SHORTER WONG
R.I.P MY LOVE
Aug 30, 2018 3:07 PM

Jul 2016
Shorteeeeer! Noooooooo!
My thoughts for this episode
Aug 30, 2018 3:19 PM

Sep 2017
Man, that was an insane episode. Shorter was such a cool character but tbh, after getting drugged like that his life was pretty much over. Unless they come up with some kinda cure, death was probably best. Still this really shows what’s important to Ash. He was completely straight faced until he found out Shorter was drugged and tried to kill Eiji. And then he completely lost it after shooting Shorter. That was great. It makes sense too since he’s completely numb to bad shit happening to him with what he went through.
Aug 30, 2018 3:46 PM

Sep 2008
I hope Arthur will die. In a really terrible way.
Aug 30, 2018 3:56 PM

Jul 2014
You couldn't protect his smile
Aug 30, 2018 4:18 PM

Mar 2009
They went so out with the pacing, the music, and the angles for when things really went down at the end, it was incredible! I can't wait to continue crying even more! (I've already read the manga, btw, like 4 times, I know the suffering I am in for and I accept this readily)
Aug 30, 2018 4:31 PM

Jul 2014
"Ash looked exactly like the angel on a christmas card my sister had sent me..."
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Aug 30, 2018 4:37 PM

Feb 2013
annelora said:

Same, first time I read it I was sad af, now I'm crying rivers ;; halp
RiritsuAug 31, 2018 3:09 AM
Aug 30, 2018 5:32 PM

Dec 2016
Yo... WHAT!! THE!! FUCK!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 30, 2018 5:36 PM

Dec 2017
best episode so far. me likey some good executed character death
Aug 30, 2018 5:45 PM

Feb 2016
SoraSenpai said:
The only good thing in this anime is now dead. Shorter was seriously the only reason why I continued. You literally just killed off the best character. Dropped. 1/10

This has to be the most idiotic drop I've seen in my life. I seriously hope its a joke xD
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 30, 2018 5:46 PM

Feb 2016
Holy shit, the tension, the feels... SHOOOOORTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER ;_;
~Blackwall
Aug 30, 2018 6:15 PM

Oct 2015
SoraSenpai said:
I guess rest in peace and to Shorter too.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 30, 2018 6:20 PM

Oct 2015
That earring cost $400000, I don't if Golzine loves him or hate him sometimes. So Eiji was raped too, what the hell happened in that threesome exactly? Did he or didn't? Oh well emotional episode, but I wished Ash shot his limb or something or a non vital point.

Can't wait for next week.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 30, 2018 6:26 PM

Jun 2009
lihle808 said:
That earring cost $400000, I don't if Golzine loves him or hate him sometimes. So Eiji was raped too, what the hell happened in that threesome exactly? Did he or didn't? Oh well emotional episode, but I wished Ash shot his limb or something or a non vital point.

nice thought but he wanted too end his suffering and not ending like a shell without a spirit like his brother was

+ shorter also did mention do it before its too late and he was still a lil himself

since after he would kill eiji he would be even more a puppet for papa

just wanna see they get his body back since I hate too see they do experiments on him
Aug 30, 2018 6:27 PM
Apr 2016
lihle808 said:

They didn't do anything to Eiji. It was stopped before they could continue, thankfully.

Jun 2009
Evendell said:
I hope Arthur will die. In a really terrible way.

SPOILER
Apr 2016
Thank you Banana Fish for making me feel like crap now.
Aug 30, 2018 6:34 PM

Mar 2009
HereticHunter said:
SoraSenpai said:

This has to be the most idiotic drop I've seen in my life. I seriously hope its a joke xD

I figured there would be some drops for that. I agree with you. However, it was expected (by me, at least).
I loved Shorter, as well. He's not the only character I liked, though.....
But it was really painful to watch (and before that: to read).
For some reason I didn't find this as upsetting as it was in the manga.
I'm still dreading/anticipateing what's next.....
There's more pain to come....
I feel badly for all of them.
I was happy to see Sing. I love him more than Shorter. But only a bit more.
About as much as I love Eiji and Ash.
Aug 30, 2018 6:39 PM

Jun 2009
SoraSenpai said:

really a stupid reason for you too drop the best show of the season exept snk
but from the looks of it you love too drop series before giving them much chance too shine anyways
Aug 30, 2018 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
I can't believe Shorter died in such a cruel way and they didn't even let him rest in peace, damn it! It was so painful to watch and I couldn't even blink. The scene was excruciating. The suffering was real.

Really, I was growing fond of him episode by episode. And now it's all over. It's sucks.

RIP best boy of Banana Fish.
BloomingJASAug 31, 2018 9:21 AM

Aug 30, 2018 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
such a brutal episode , but in a instant this show has been brutal but for the first time i felt the suffering Ash and everyone else felt it was just painful to watch.

my rage to see the deaths of these monsters has intensified
Aug 30, 2018 7:45 PM

Feb 2016
windeen-windy said:
HereticHunter said:

I figured there would be some drops for that. I agree with you. However, it was expected (by me, at least).
I loved Shorter, as well. He's not the only character I liked, though.....
But it was really painful to watch (and before that: to read).
For some reason I didn't find this as upsetting as it was in the manga.
I'm still dreading/anticipateing what's next.....
There's more pain to come....
I feel badly for all of them.
I was happy to see Sing. I love him more than Shorter. But only a bit more.
About as much as I love Eiji and Ash.

well at least they won't be sending death threats to the creator.
I've heard this will be a sad ride... So sad for Shorter, didn't expect it to be so painful
~Blackwall
Aug 30, 2018 7:45 PM

Mar 2016
I am reading the manga and watching the anime. The manga, while it's not the best, is an enjoyable read. But, the anime seems quite bad. I have been trying to figure out why, and I think I finally did.
Old stories are cruel, and the manga's old art style makes it easier to suspend my disbelief to the characters' cruelty. With the anime, and its modern art, I expect the characters to be a lot more reasonable. I want to know more about the characters' psychology. So far, it seems like the characters are just bad people because they are bad people.
Shorter's death looked sadder in the manga than the anime, even though (or probably 'because') they were the exact same!
Aug 30, 2018 7:50 PM
Apr 2016
lihle808 said:

I think, in some twisted, twisted way, Dino does somewhat love Ash, he "raised" him after all. Guess he both loves and hate him. Eiji wasn't raped, don't know whether he's been touched, but they certainly didn't go all the way. He would've, if he hadn't gotten that call
Aug 30, 2018 8:35 PM

Mar 2009
FuMomo-kun said:
I am reading the manga and watching the anime. The manga, while it's not the best, is an enjoyable read. But, the anime seems quite bad. I have been trying to figure out why, and I think I finally did.
Old stories are cruel, and the manga's old art style makes it easier to suspend my disbelief to the characters' cruelty. With the anime, and its modern art, I expect the characters to be a lot more reasonable. I want to know more about the characters' psychology. So far, it seems like the characters are just bad people because they are bad people.
Shorter's death looked sadder in the manga than the anime, even though (or probably 'because') they were the exact same!

I thought it was sadder when I read the manga, as well. Somehow it lost the impact in translation from manga to anime. I wonder if what happens next with Shorter will lose impact as well.... Maybe it will seem worse? No idea. But this was deffinately sadder in the manga.
Aug 30, 2018 8:38 PM

Mar 2009
So fucked up what they did to Shorter these past couple of episodes, and how it all ended here. Poor guy. Poor Ash, too.

Sad to see Shorter go. He was definitely the best character.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

345 by anjalpaudel »»
Apr 20, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

66 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.