Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2018 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The bromance this episode :o

Even in a competitive atmosphere like this, I'm glad certain characters like Haru is able to maintain a good relationship with others. Pretty intense episode with the amount of energy poured into the swimming and body movements.

I feel like the characters this season improved in terms of their willpower and technical skill. Some of Kyoto Animation's visuals also did wonders to make this a worthwhile experience.
Aug 29, 2018 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
Kimura-san's character thinking about mermaid, and Makoto meeting him. He's mad about when hearing about main guy.

Thought so, main guy, who only did Free all his life, won't win at the first time he did other swims. Main guy has hard time swimming other style.

Uchiyama-san's character's problem is solved because his condition is back and won. Hug after the competition because Uchiyama-san's character heard that main guy still remembers the promise.

Understanding each other, huh.

All four of them gathered. Talking about hero. Uchiyama-san's character has become the hero he wanted to become without him realizing.

It's Uchiyama-san's character's turn to save Kimura-san's character. He decided to join the group relay.

High schoolers are excited about the result (that means main guy and Mamo's character would definitely swim against each other) and surprised about main guy.

Group relay. This time Kimura-san's character vs. main guy while Uchiyama-san's character vs. red hair guy. SuzuKen's character appearing as well, as he cheers on his brother through TV. lol @ the interaction between Uchiyama-san's character and red hair guy. Kimura-san's character finally felt the "miracle" they felt, which solved his problem, too.

Seeing Kimura-san's character's smile reminding Uchiyama-san's character of the boy he met in elementary school (not sure if he remembered or not).

Coach guy not satisfied.

Two friends of two different schools meeting for the first time.

Mamo's character returning to Japan next?! Also, a new character?
tsubasaloverAug 29, 2018 9:44 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 29, 2018 10:20 AM

Apr 2012
OMG just get a room already! xD
Aug 29, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2015
Woooow I’m so shocked by small details in this episode..

BUT FINLLY, FINALLY God has heard my prayers. I knew we’d be done with the Ikuya and Hiyori drama after this episode BUT it was done very easily and not suuuper predictable and dramatic. For an example when Hiyori almost snapped at Makoto because of his frustration towards Haru, I’m very glad he didnt throw a fit or anything, it would be waaay too similar to season 1, which tbh a lot of the scenes between Ikuya and Haru reminded me of certain Rinharu scenes which made me like :// eh? But I’m glad at least Hiyori doesn’t seem lile a bitch anymore and can leave Haru and the others alone, and that he is finally having a better friendship with Ikuya!

But dang, Haru overcame it all in the end!!! Which confirmed: Haru and Rin swimming will happen soon. I’m so ready. Speaking of, I’m so glad after all this time Haru decided to swim something else that free, and he did butterfly! Suuuper proud of Haru.

Haha at the part with Hiyori and Kisumi. «Will you join my basketball team?» and instead of saying no he was like «I’ll think about it» reminded me of Kisumi during Starting Days movie.

Episode 9 here we goooo, bring the action
Aug 29, 2018 11:02 AM
Jan 2010
Finally Rin is coming back!

He should stay at Haru's place lol
Aug 29, 2018 12:41 PM

Jul 2009
RisuSaya said:
OMG just get a room already! xD

Right?!

lol anyways glad this drama is over with, it honestly was solved in the most ridiculous. All you need to do is swim with the magical merman, Haru!

Rin come back now! <333
Aug 29, 2018 12:43 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was SO good, there were tears in my eyes. Finally everything is all right between Haru and Ikuya and Ikuya and Hiyori. FINALLY RIN IS COMING BACK, I'M SO HAPPY!
Aug 29, 2018 1:25 PM

May 2015
I'm soo glad they're all in good terms with each other!! The drama was finally solved after 8 episodes!

Next episode is looking good! New characters coming up!

Also Rin <33
Aug 29, 2018 2:15 PM

Jan 2017
Wow I can't belive Ikuya finally stopped being emo bitch
Aug 29, 2018 2:27 PM

Nov 2016
The water in my eyes felt heavy too.

Best fucking episode this season, great friendship moments, some fine race,that's what I why I like free.

So glad to see that everything was resolved.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 29, 2018 4:41 PM

Oct 2015
I guess this episode was about Ikuya's comeback and make up with every one especially Hiyori. I'm glad he made up with him because he was acting like shit to him and that pissed me off greatly. I hope we'll get to see Haru's transformation as his instructor suggested.

Rin is coming back, oh man I'm so excited as he is my favorite character in the series. I kinda got tired of the Ikuya saga.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 29, 2018 9:56 PM

Oct 2017
I thoroughly loved this episode! Everybody's okay now~ I agree that this was the best ep so far~~~

And oh my god, I've been waiting for him, he is back! Rinrin!!! <3333
Aug 30, 2018 12:58 AM

Mar 2008
So happy that things are good with Haru and Ikuya now. Still not a fan of Hiyori but maybe now he knows his place and will be more tolerable.
Aug 30, 2018 5:01 AM

Oct 2011
Looking forward to Rin coming back!
Aug 30, 2018 5:11 AM

Jun 2013
I love Ikuya very much. I'm happy with him smiling <33
Now Rin is coming back and new characters are coming! I'm anxious!
Gimme more character development and/or romance. Probally a shotacon.

Aug 30, 2018 6:04 AM

Jun 2016
God I love Ikuya, I'm glad the drama is finally over.

It was cute to see him interact with the group,I still love his relationship with Asahi, their bickering and teasing is so entertaining. 'baka asahi'

The girl in the preview seems to be the Mikoshiba sister, I wonder what is going to happen with her.
Aug 30, 2018 11:17 AM

Aug 2016
I have the feeling the drama good resolved without reason (I'm not even sure what I missed, I did watch the scene with Ikuyas resolve thrice and think the creators just didn't had a better idea how to deal with the stuff they've done before)

"hm...I created this monster..Now how to kill it?"

Everything's fine now and good and I'm even more fed up than with the drama. I fear it was just already too late to like Ikuya and Hyori. So whatever was done I was bound to not like it ;) I really wished those characters were never created and it hurts me to the core to really dislike Free this time. It feels like Dive but way worse.
Aug 30, 2018 3:23 PM

Sep 2017
Alright, I liked the way that was resolved. It was simple and not too over dramatic. It just took the magic of swimming to qt3.14 Haru to realize “oh wait, I’ve been acting like drama queen this whole time” lol. Still tho, glad it’s over with so many eps left. Excited to see where this goes.
Aug 30, 2018 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
Akiho90 said:
I have the feeling the drama good resolved without reason (I'm not even sure what I missed, I did watch the scene with Ikuyas resolve thrice and think the creators just didn't had a better idea how to deal with the stuff they've done before)

Agree.

I am very disappointed. Free! always had a really really good resolved of drama.
But in this episode was like a bad comercial "Swimming with Haru will solve all your problems. Call 0-800-dolphin o just jump by his side in a random competition." Bah.

btw.. that CG really suck.
Sasha_ATAug 30, 2018 4:36 PM
Aug 30, 2018 7:06 PM
Jan 2018
Interval... interval... interval...
Aug 30, 2018 8:03 PM
May 2015
I think the swimming with Haru to resolve the drama really wasn't that much of an issue, seeing as how it took like 2-4 episodes (I don't remember really how many) to build up to this point. However, I'm glad it all did get resolved. I could still care less about Hiyori because he was an unnecessary pain in my ass this whole season, but I guess for Ikuya's sake, I'm glad that all of that settled down as well.
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Aug 30, 2018 8:26 PM

Mar 2016
I got deja vu watching this episode.

The only part I actually liked was when Kisumi tried to recruit Toono into his basketball circle.

This wasn't a bad episode, but this anime uses Haru's swimming like Disney uses True Love's kiss. And, that starts to feel repetitive.
Aug 31, 2018 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
just swim with Haru to solve all your problems
pretty meh drama resolution, I expected more of it
boc I'm glad that it was solved
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Sep 1, 2018 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
ikuya is finally smiling again ♥ im glad everyone is happy now... AND RIN IS BACK YAYYYY
Sep 4, 2018 1:12 AM

Jan 2013
plot twist: scene after the credits is the best one

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 4, 2018 5:58 AM
Sep 2015
Sasha_AT said:
Akiho90 said:

Agree.

I am very disappointed. Free! always had a really really good resolved of drama.
But in this episode was like a bad comercial "Swimming with Haru will solve all your problems. Call 0-800-dolphin o just jump by his side in a random competition." Bah.

btw.. that CG really suck.

I agree with both of you.
It didn't feel like a good solution to the drama, I expected something more.

More talking probably? How the heck can they think under the water during relays?
Are they multi-taskers? It feels so unrealistic.
Sep 4, 2018 6:01 AM
Sep 2015
I don't want to be that guy, but this season is weaker compared to the first and second one.
Too much forced gayness, I love bromances but this is just fujoshi bait by now.
Even the drama is so edgy.

I want the old Free! back. This episode gets a 3/5 from me. I'm glad the Ikuya drama is over.

I hope it will get better from now on.
Sep 6, 2018 9:14 AM
Feb 2017
I fucking hate Ikuya and all that drama. But this episode finally somewhat advances in the story and Gou got like 2 more seconds of screentime.

Sep 7, 2018 9:53 AM

Jun 2017
Gotta admit, my heart melted when Ikuya hugged Haru! <333
Dec 17, 2018 12:51 AM

Aug 2017
LMAO Ikuya found himself in less than ten minutes and (inexplicably) wins.

It took 8 episodes to solve all the Ikuya drama. I swear, it really sucks. 1/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 30, 2019 5:59 AM

May 2010
Apparently Haru's a water version of Jesus, just swimming with him once will free you from your pain and bring back your happiness!

This was so stupid and repetitive, how many people were saved just by swimming with him already? Lol.

Also, gotta love how not only they were saved, but also their personality changed COMPLETELY within a minute. Like, Ikuya was shown to be gloomy and bitter at least since they split up, but now he's happy, smiling all the time without a worry in the world. Or Hiyori, who was introduced as jealous, possessive bastard, who was ready to lie to everyone whenever he could gain something, suddenly becomes this nice guy, who just needed a friend this whole time time </3

Glad at least this shit's finally over, ugh...
Jun 22, 2019 1:07 PM

Jul 2016
Well kids! remember this: if you ever suffer an identity crisis, just swim with Haru and you will have the epiphany you always needed.

Honestly, what a lazy way to conclude a conflict that lasted almost 8 episodes. But well, at least this part of the story is finally over and now, the series can focus on the All Japan Competition.

P.S.: Please, give Rin and Sousuke more screentime during these remaining episodes!
Sep 6, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2016
Hold my tears from falling a few times.

Interval Interval Interval Interval.
Nov 21, 2019 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
Ikuya is himself again, and has returned to relays, and Haru is doing things he's never done before.

Jun 27, 2020 9:10 AM

Jun 2020
LOL at this hogwash of a conclusion....

I just need more RIN RIN RINNNNNNNN ♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 19, 2020 9:44 PM

Apr 2016
Yay! After the ending theme song, we see Rin at the airport! It'll be great to see his interactions with everyone :-)

I'm glad to see Ikuya recognize that he never wanted to be alone and that there are people there for him...It's nostalgic to see the middle school quad hang out again (Haru, Makoto, Asahi, and Ikuya) <3 And especially with Natsuya physically back in Japan and embracing his brother again, Hiyori doesn't need to look out for Ikuya alone anymore. I'm glad to see Hiyori open up too, when Kisumi approached him. LOL, Kisumi asking people to join the basketball club hasn't changed since middle school xD

It was fun to see Ikuya tease Asahi lol. It was a total flashback moment to middle school when Asahi used to stand in front of a mirror and repeat, "I'm a genius" :P (I would adore a Rei and Asahi reunion ;----;)

Ikuya hugging Haru was touching too! I'm glad to see him okay again. And it would be great if Shimogami University's and Hidaka University's swim clubs had joint practice sessions!

It was a warm moment for Ikuya to recall his kindergarten past with Hiyori, and the two expressed mutual feelings. They were both glad to have met each other. And now they'll continue being supportive teammates and friends.

It's always a joy to see our high school folks excited to see their university senpais in swimming matches! ^^
Aug 16, 2021 4:52 PM
Sep 2018
Clearly the best episode of the season... it was perfect, if I had to give it a grade I would give it 11/10 and even more, I loved it so much.

The coach's sentence "I give him a 14/20, he still has potential" and "Yes, but the most exciting thing is to imagine how" these sentences are incredible and it's true because Haru has so much potential. When the coach will give him 20/20 I wonder how Haru will be too strong, it's going to be a big mess.

LOVE FREE!
Sep 22, 2021 12:58 PM

Feb 2021

I'm hella confused now.
Apr 5, 2022 1:10 PM

Feb 2020
That was a nice relay. The drama is also finally over. I'm happy for Ikuya, Hiyori and Haru.

Lots of wholesome moments this episode.
Jul 22, 2023 1:25 AM
Jul 2021
Bromance for the win!

Aghhh I loved this episode, the hug was sooo cute🥰🤗🥰
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2018

30 by wvni »»
Mar 12, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

18 by KiRobunny »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:36 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2018

64 by Dawizz »»
Jul 25, 2023 1:10 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2018

44 by Dawizz »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:05 AM

» is Free! Dive to the Future worth completing?

momo_jan - Aug 15, 2021

13 by Dawizz »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.