Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2018 2:00 PM

Dec 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pretty badass and intriguing first episode!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 8, 2018 5:04 PM

Feb 2017
I started watching Banana Fish only because arty style looked good and I was more than sure everyone is going to love it and I wanted to be able to talk with people about it and, if it deserves it, hate on in. I thought I will just watch it for 20+ minutes per week and don't really care about it because I don't like anything beside comedies, I prefer to be happy and laugh all the time.
I was so wrong.
First episode was extremely good. You can clearly see there's an interesting plot. Main characters became soulmates almost immediately. It would be so cool to see their relationship evolving... And this Banana Fish. What's this and why is it so important? I'm actually extremely happy this show is going to have 24 episodes.
Well, these were my feelings after watching 1st episode. I started reading manga after episode 3 and my feelings became way more... biased, I guess? since then. But this is what I felt back then and I immediately fell in love with Banana Fish.
Aug 9, 2018 4:36 PM

Sep 2011
What an intense start! I loved how Eiji was drawn by Ash, taken by the moment and place, his curiosity came out as he went as far as asking if he had ever killed someone. And it seems like Eiji was able to inspire something in Ash too, since he let him touch his gun and all. I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger from the start, but I'm sold, can't wait for the next episode and the OP & ED!
Aug 11, 2018 2:07 PM

Aug 2017
I watched this episode weeks ago.

It have a good pacing. I like the characters. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 12, 2018 2:13 AM

Jun 2013

This series is BL/yaoi fodder. It’s a fucking sausage fest! Look at all the gorgeous potential pairings! I will make a lot of yaoi and buttsecks references from now on, whether or not it really happened.

Eiji is obviously a bottom for Ash’s sausage. And yes, of course, it starts with that trope of not letting anyone touch Ash’s peni--gun except for Eiji. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kidding aside (or am I?), I like how badass Ash is, he’s a good fighter. Eiji just straight up asked to hold his gun because they’re illegal in Japan. Skip is probably my favorite character for now or perhaps throughout the entire series because he’s so cute and friendly even towards Eiji who he met for the first time.

I think it’s funny how they portray Americans in Japanese series. Everything was so stereotypical from their appearances to the way American supposedly talk. Still, I am glad for the diversity in this show. We rarely see series that take place in the USA and it’s good seeing different characters from different ethnic backgrounds.

I haven’t read the manga and I’ll probably read it after the Anime is over since I’m still reading a lot of other manga right now.

The animation is beautiful, movement, sequencing and I love the background and soundtrack too.

臭い-
Aug 16, 2018 7:23 PM

Feb 2010
Animation is dope.

"Be careful with him... he's vindictive.... and gay."

That made me laugh.

Sep 11, 2018 8:15 AM

Dec 2014
well the first episode about mafia and what not…seems interesting and legit…
Sep 13, 2018 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
really shouldn't had tried this show if not for MAPPA. The pacing was quite strange at first 3/4th of the show (felt like adapting lot of pages) and at the end its slowly back to came back to normal, so all ok :)

Artstyle not the level of MAPPA's last show(Garo:VL) but animation-wise is great and add much needed tense to action scene (without using special effects like G:VL, bkha etc) and feel great to watch.

Not bad start overall and definitely feel some potential here (really could been cool in English Dub since setting takes place in NY). Most negative to say so far that most character names are too weird and meh :\
Sep 22, 2018 9:54 AM

Dec 2016
For a very first episode it's very good. Intense! Can't wait for the next one :D Seems promissing.

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 16, 2018 12:11 PM

Oct 2017
oh my god this was so boring lol i really think i might be missing something out here!!! i won't drop it but. idk man that ain't it
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Nov 4, 2018 7:35 AM

Oct 2017
that ending got me hyped for the rest of the series!
Nov 29, 2018 3:09 PM

Feb 2015
lmaoooo 5 minutes into the episode and it's so extravagant in americanising the MCs i laughed all the way through. for one thing, It's still laughable that whenever there is a beautiful/good looking white american, they always have blond hair! japan is so far removed from the US even in 2018 lol. and there's the exaggerated 90's (maybe even 50's) attitude, his "shut up you fag white swine" line, right down to his american red converses. it's so delightfully unbelievable and over the top that i adore the episode for it.
Nov 29, 2018 4:50 PM

Mar 2012
TomDay said:
lmaoooo 5 minutes into the episode and it's so extravagant in americanising the MCs i laughed all the way through. for one thing, It's still laughable that whenever there is a beautiful/good looking white american, they always have blond hair! japan is so far removed from the US even in 2018 lol. and there's the exaggerated 90's (maybe even 50's) attitude, his "shut up you fag white swine" line, right down to his american red converses. it's so delightfully unbelievable and over the top that i adore the episode for it.
You do know that it's an updated adaptation of a manga that was published from 1985 to 1994? So the exaggerated 80s action movie tone is there for a reason. Plus Ash's design was originally based off of the very blonde and real tennis player Stefan Edberg (who's not even American).
Nov 29, 2018 11:26 PM

Dec 2015
@MetaKite I had heard back then that it was the usual River Phoenix inspiration even though the time period seemed a bit too thin.

MetaKite said:
I'd tell you to Google it but that's pretty dangerous right now since the internet is dark and full of spoilers.

Thank you, it makes more sense now !
I'll check since the "spoiler" concept is nothing more than a modern /internet myth spread by the internet people, an imaginary but key element to their "culture".

(Inn any case, this anime is basically only a way to get the story without ruining myself for the out-of-print manga I'll never get the chance to hold. Same reason why I was reading the synopsis of each tome in magazines while they were unavailable in my nearby booksellers)
Rei_IIINov 30, 2018 11:09 PM
Nov 30, 2018 4:13 AM

Mar 2012
Rei366 said:
@MetaKite I had heard back then that it was the usual River Phoenix inspiration even though the time period seemed a bit too thin.
River was his second character design inspiration after more than 2 years of publication (look me up on TumblR for details on Yoshida's interest in River if you dare due to spiolers). You'll notice between volume 4 and 5 the art changes and Ash's looks change quite a bit. For the better IMO. I'd tell you to Google it but that's pretty dangerous right now since the internet is dark and full of spoilers.
Nov 30, 2018 9:33 AM

Feb 2015
MetaKite said:
You do know that it's an updated adaptation of a manga that was published from 1985 to 1994? So the exaggerated 80s action movie tone is there for a reason. Plus Ash's design was originally based off of the very blonde and real tennis player Stefan Edberg (who's not even American).

i found out directly afterwards what year it was made in, which explains why his character is so over the top.

it doesn't really matter if the original design isn't american, because that's still the case with other anime. almost every time, a white character has blonde hair.
Nov 30, 2018 3:59 PM

Mar 2012
TomDay said:
i found out directly afterwards what year it was made in,, which explains why his character is so over the top.

it doesn't really matter if the original design isn't american, because that's still the case with other anime. almost every time, a white character has blonde hair.
True but I'm sure you already know culturally why that is in Japan with a bias towards that stereotypical phenotype. Plus often times if foreign white people are not portrayed as white devils then they are blonde and awesome.
Nov 30, 2018 4:13 PM

Feb 2015
MetaKite said:
True but I'm sure you already know culturally why that is in Japan with a bias towards that stereotypical phenotype. Plus often times if foreign white people are not portrayed as white devils then they are blonde and awesome.

i wasn't hating or shading it, as i said i adored this episode because of the stereotypes that japan has always thought of foreign people. the japanese don't travel a lot so it makes sense.
Nov 30, 2018 4:44 PM

Mar 2012
TomDay said:
MetaKite said:

i wasn't hating or shading it, as i said i adored this episode because of the stereotypes that japan has always thought of foreign people. the japanese don't travel a lot so it makes sense.
I didn't think you were hating. I was just saying everything you were laughing at had a reason as to why it's like that. I think we're just agreeing. Just wait til you get to episode 10.
Nov 30, 2018 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Finally I could start watching this anime. Let's see if it has the potential. So far, the story seems intriguing and Ash, as a character, is very interesting as well.

On the other hand, Eiji seems way to naive at first glance but since it's the first episode, I won't say much about him.

Overall, it was a good start so I'm now looking forward to seeing its development.

P.S.: I'm not very sure about how cruel this show will be with its characters but just to be safe, I will refrain from feeling any attachment for Skipper...
Dec 1, 2018 5:43 AM

Mar 2012
Rei366 said:
MetaKite said:
I'd tell you to Google it but that's pretty dangerous right now since the internet is dark and full of spoilers.

Thank you, it makes more sense now !
I'll check since the "spoiler" concept is nothing more than a modern /internet myth spread by the internet people, an imaginary but key element to their "culture".

(Inn any case, this anime is basically only a way to get the story without ruining myself for the out-of-print manga I'll never get the chance to hold. Same reason why I was reading the synopsis of each tome in magazines while they were unavailable in my nearby booksellers)
The manga is not out of print. Viz started to reprint it again because of the anime. Go to Right Stuf to get it since all the volumes are available there and won't mix up the really old volumes from 1997 with the backwards right to left art. Getting them on Amazon means that risk. Just warning that the first 4 volumes are a rough read because of the really out of date art. Then it improves after she did her redesigns. If you don't mind spoilers then you can just go look at my TumblR like I said.
Dec 16, 2018 5:13 PM

Oct 2017
Hmm where to start...I’m going into this show pretty blind but what can I say? This first episode was pretty enjoyable. The story seems interesting, the characters are likable, and the animation is beautiful.

So what I can gather from this first episode, this series seems to center around this drug called Banana Fish, a dangerous drug that this big bad named Dino has gotten ahold of.

Dino took in the rebellious Ash at a young age. If anything...their relationship seems rather strange..ash finds out about the Banana Fish and steals it, knowing it had something to do with his brothers deteriorating health. Dino knows about all this and sends his men after ash, including some formidable guy named Arthur.

This young Japanese photographer named Eiji gets mixed up in everything after meeting ash and ends up getting kidnapped along with one of Ash’s friends, Skipper. Poor Eiji, he seems way too innocent to get caught up in something like this. Let’s see where it goes from here..
Jan 16, 2019 5:08 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The very dope first episode, I'm all in, but for some reason, they gave me the impression that this was set off sometime in the past, more specifically just after the second world war, and then they pulled off their smartphones. Well played.
I really like the characters, the settings, I'm a sucker for good crime shows let me tell ya. I have a feeling that this might be one play around on the BL genre that I'm not a fan of, I really hope it's not.
I like how they are casual with slurs and curse words, it really puts extra intensity on the seriousness of the show.
I'm kind of confused on why is this show tagged as a Shoujo though.
Jul 20, 2019 12:11 PM

May 2010
Really like the character designs, they improved it a lot from original source, Ash especially! I can really see a lot of old BL vibes, but I'm glad there is also other plot as well, for now I'm hooked.
Aug 15, 2019 3:26 PM

Aug 2007
The pacing of this is pretty good so far.
I like that it gives ample information and moves on. It helps it spring into the action scenes.

Sep 17, 2019 10:02 PM

Mar 2015
Interesting start to this one!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 30, 2020 3:20 PM
Aug 2020
I'm re-watching , wanna feel the pain again hehe.... :')

Badass episode tho!!!
Nov 17, 2020 9:52 PM

Jul 2020
amazing first episode, I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this
Dec 29, 2020 10:33 AM

Mar 2019
really good first episode! i like the pacing, the animation was good & the characters are great! :) especially skipper, who's a v likeable character! good ending to the episode too, i love the cliffhanger, im just grateful im not watching this while it's airing.
Jan 13, 2021 2:08 PM
Oct 2019
That was good. A promising start.

Also thought the animation style looked like Dorohedor's, and lo and behold, they're both by MAPPA.
Mar 13, 2021 7:18 PM

Jun 2020
That was so good! And the animation was so fluid during the fight

Eiji is so cute!!!!!
The voice cast can’t any better, 2 of my favourites Yuuma & Kenji ♡

My only question......Skip is like a legit kid....right? Lolollll that rum & coke.....

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 5, 2021 1:10 PM
Mar 2021
Very interesting way to kickstart the series. Nothing better happen to Skip, I think Ash might've been abused since the one bodyguard was saying how he liked Ash's work, and in response, Ash called him the f-slur.
Apr 9, 2021 3:38 PM

Jan 2021
Holy smokes, they put 142 pages of manga into 1 episode! That's just crazy, especially as it mostly seemed to use the manga as a storyboard. I just... how?! It didn't feel like they cut too much dialogue either.

It feels as though it moves a lot faster than the manga, even though it... isn't... it makes no sense. And making it more mordern didn't hurt it either (or at least it hasn't yet, but we'll see how they handle future scenarios).

Will def keep watching.
CalmTeaTimeJan 8, 2022 1:49 PM
May 11, 2021 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
1st episode was so cool..
May 11, 2021 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
First episode was so cool & looking forward to next episode
Jun 5, 2021 6:30 AM
Dec 2017
@brooding i can see why you really love this show and this is the best bridge of Yaoi,Shojo and Shonen along with X/1999 and Godchild in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2021 8:34 AM

Dec 2019
Crow_Black said:
@brooding i can see why you really love this show and this is the best bridge of Yaoi,Shojo and Shonen along with X/1999 and Godchild in my opinion.

oh my god you're watching banana fish??? YESS ENJOY ENJOY

"i tried to drown an 8 year old once"
- @marinara-sauce

バンの一味

Jun 5, 2021 8:35 AM
Dec 2017
brooding said:
Crow_Black said:

oh my god you're watching banana fish??? YESS ENJOY ENJOY

The real question you should be asking is this. "Who isn't watching Bananafish?

But its really incredible!!! :D

Jul 24, 2021 4:16 AM
Mar 2020
Hot damm, thats one hell of a first episode, didnt waste a single second here.
Aug 7, 2021 11:01 PM
Feb 2020
So like he didn't let a n y o n e touch his gun?
blinking eyes
Sep 9, 2021 2:05 PM
Apr 2021
I admit I only started watching Banana Fish because my crush had a crush on Ash. Silly, I know! But it is an interesting story. And I like that it takes place in NYC :)
Oct 8, 2021 10:41 PM
Sep 2020
Finally got around to finishing the first episode and it seems like a solid start!

I'm liking the mood so far. Giving me Millionaire Detective/Psycho Pass vibes. The transitions weren't the best at first but it got better later in the episode. I can already tell Eiji probably gonna be my favorite character :) Overall, I'm excited to see the story unfold and learn about the sad ending everyone keeps talking about lol.
Dec 18, 2021 9:34 AM
Nov 2020
I'm just happy this is getting animated one of my Favorite manga's when I started getting into manga, even though its Shonen-ai.
Jan 16, 2022 11:05 AM
Jul 2017
selenia13 said:
Very interesting way to kickstart the series. Nothing better happen to Skip, I think Ash might've been abused since the one bodyguard was saying how he liked Ash's work, and in response, Ash called him the f-slur.

He was sexually abused half his life. Ash was a runaway child then he encountered a guy in charge of a male prostitution business. That guy is a p*do so he doesn't deserve respect.
Jan 23, 2022 10:41 PM
Jan 2022
It’s really good
Jan 23, 2022 10:41 PM
Jan 2022
It’s really good
Jul 28, 2022 8:40 PM
May 2022
I really liked this anime and since it was short I would really like to watch animes similar to this one
Aug 16, 2022 11:13 AM
Aug 2022
it was good but i wish it had a dub
Oct 10, 2022 1:55 PM
Aug 2021
really good start
Nov 1, 2022 6:20 AM
Oct 2019
Finally starting this in 2022, it's been too long sitting on my Plan to Watch list.

Definitely no your "Typical" Shoujo Anime.

That was a really good first episode.

I really like Yuuma Uchida voice as Ash.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

346 by carladepalabras »»
Apr 25, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.