Forum Settings
Forums

What weight have MAL in the anime industry ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 13, 2018 5:17 AM

Oct 2016
Well, MAL is already dead and I think that's it, it has nothing to do with the things beyond.
She's searching for the man who can melt her forzen heart.The one who will chip away at her walls until they fall apart.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
May 13, 2018 5:45 AM

Nov 2009

None and neither does the anime youtuber have in the anime industry. Remember, as long as most anime fans outside Japan still PIRATING, whether it's MAL or internert anime community in general, non have any impact on anime industry. It also why hardly anyone care about anime review/critic since why listen to other people when you can watch anime for free and judge yourself.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

May 13, 2018 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
Somewhere between zero and absolutely none.
May 13, 2018 6:45 AM

Jul 2017
HeadlessHorseman said:
We need more masterpieces like Pingu. It's an untapped gold mine right now. MAL hath spoken. The industry should take note, it is ranked 56 right now so more series of that quality are necessary. Sadly, what MAL thinks means little to nothing.

it is rated 56, but most importantly, it is the anime with the most 10s proportinnaly.
FUCKING 72% of ratings are 10s
berserk's 60% of 10s, kimi no nawa's 53% of 10s are NOTHING in comparison.
this goes without saying that pingu in the city is the most popular and liked anime ever made by earthlings.
May 13, 2018 6:49 AM

Feb 2015
jae-som said:
Well, MAL is already dead and I think that's it, it has nothing to do with the things beyond.

mal is dead? was it living?

i don't even hear anything about this website when I'm logged out ever since I joined
May 13, 2018 6:57 AM

Aug 2014
None whatsoever, which is no bad thing.

Scoring an anime highly on MAL doesn't improve it's standing in the industry or help it. If you actually want to do that, buy the BDs/DVDs.
May 13, 2018 7:28 AM

Mar 2015
silent_knight98 said:
Kumagawa_mei said:

>most popular
>at best 2 isekai and like 1 harem breaks sales and only the isekais already liked by the west, r:zero and konosuba sold alot , in the past few yrs,
What is this mysterious boggie man popularity you're talking about
Oh yeah?! Why dont u see this week's light novel rankings

https://myanimelist.net/news/55224634

There are total four isekai LNs in top ten out of which only Overlord is the one which is popular in the west and two Harem LNs. So total six in ten.

And also can u expalin why a lot of isekai shows are releasing lately if that genre is not popular in Japan? I can name u more than four shows right now which are going to air in summer/winter/fall.

technically 5, from your source...
>Overlord
>Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
>Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi
>Around 40 Kenja no Isekai Seikatsu Nikki
>Youheidan no Ryouriban
(lol, the order of what i liking more is complitely reversed, tho ariffureta is lower than overlord)

okay, back to the topic, isekai does become fad, but still niche fad... they are not kind of groundbreaking new kind of common trend everywhere.... i mean, if you take a look at manga, their sales is much lower, their TV ratngs ovetenly in top bellow... so why they keep being made? well, overdedicated niche fanbasess.... they will spend almost all their money to BD and merchendise...

i mean take a look at yearly sales, last year, most popular novel is, Kimi no Nawa, lOl, second one is SAO with 300K comparing to manga, it was soo little... TV ratings is much worse showing gap....

does that mean we had to ignore isekai trending? well possibly can't... they are started from syosetu, a userbase Novel web publishing... so it mide by circle, for the circle... so it will be stay for much longer... it might influence the popular audience, but for now? well, not really, at least yet...

so does make it popular after all? well, comunally as anime comunity, yes, largely, not....
KumaMay 13, 2018 7:36 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 13, 2018 9:38 AM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
silent_knight98 said:
Oh yeah?! Why dont u see this week's light novel rankings

https://myanimelist.net/news/55224634

There are total four isekai LNs in top ten out of which only Overlord is the one which is popular in the west and two Harem LNs. So total six in ten.

And also can u expalin why a lot of isekai shows are releasing lately if that genre is not popular in Japan? I can name u more than four shows right now which are going to air in summer/winter/fall.

>Overlord
>Youheidan no Ryouriban
(lol, the order of what i liking more is complitely reversed, tho ariffureta is lower than overlord)

okay, back to the topic, isekai does become fad, but still niche fad... they are not kind of groundbreaking new kind of common trend everywhere.... i mean, if you take a look at manga, their sales is much lower, their TV ratngs ovetenly in top bellow... so why they keep being made? well, overdedicated niche fanbasess.... they will spend almost all their money to BD and merchendise...

i mean take a look at yearly sales, last year, most popular novel is, Kimi no Nawa, lOl, second one is SAO with 300K comparing to manga, it was soo little... TV ratings is much worse showing gap....

does that mean we had to ignore isekai trending? well possibly can't... they are started from syosetu, a userbase Novel web publishing... so it mide by circle, for the circle... so it will be stay for much longer... it might influence the popular audience, but for now? well, not really, at least yet...

so does make it popular after all? well, comunally as anime comunity, yes, largely, not....
So basically these so called over enthusiastic fanbases have made it popular. Well, that also makes sense. Either five people purchase five copies or one person buys five copies, it doesnt matter to the publisher, they are selling five copies in the end XD. This also explains why there are lots of isekai shows coming lately.
May 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Nov 2013
about 300 pounds, usually situated on a reasonably priced office chair
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 13, 2018 12:04 PM
Dec 2013
I don't think the anime industry even knows the existence of MAL. MAL doesn't even have a page on Wikipedia for chrissakes.
wildhoodMay 15, 2018 1:31 AM
May 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
none really, the only thing that matters in the anime industry is how well an anime performs in Japan.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

May 13, 2018 2:01 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Probably not much. Granted nobody in the industry should pay attention to fans period.
May 13, 2018 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
None, because opinions of fans hold little weight.Critics opinions have more weight.
May 13, 2018 2:59 PM

Oct 2014
I think MAL is actually making a good job in helping anime and manga industry. In may not be an extraodinaire profit generator, but it helps the industry much more than if MAL would not exist. Even in people is more used to the piracy, even if in japan they worry much more about selling their merch in their country than outside it, MAL is a great place to gather opinion, discution, databases, and most important, a huge community looking into anime. In may not be direct, but it's a fact that MAL does a huge job in publicity, and each manga we buy, each DBZ videogame, or naruto, or bleach, or whatever videogame we buy, helps the anime industry. It may be a minority, but what if someone somewhere buys a figure of whoever in a comicon?, what if someone starts to like more manga and anime because MAL, and gets friends who likes anime and manga too, and start sharing whatever. MAL may not be active, but it's a potentiator of the potencial average western anime viewer. As someone sayed, Toei may not go to MAL and say oooh the didn't like this chapter of whatever series we're making. But I'm sure, MAL is a great compendium of what does the West people think about it, and it's a great compendium to think what to invest into as a Japan distribuitor of merchandise or whatever. That's what I think.

Stop. Johny. You've reached my last breath with an incredible non-stop jelly.
I love you, Johny.
May 13, 2018 3:02 PM

Aug 2017
0 fucking percent.

No one gives a shit about a site filled with WANNA BE Critics
May 13, 2018 5:28 PM

Mar 2015
silent_knight98 said:
Kuma said:

>Overlord
>Youheidan no Ryouriban

So basically these so called over enthusiastic fanbases have made it popular. Well, that also makes sense. Either five people purchase five copies or one person buys five copies, it doesnt matter to the publisher, they are selling five copies in the end XD. This also explains why there are lots of isekai shows coming lately.

Well, nichely popular to be exact... tho the manga adaptation of slime datta ken sold almost 400 K, the LN sales wasn't spectacular either (maybe because the web novel still available for free?)... so it's not impossible to isekai trope being popular for mainstream audience, tho not even trapped in game SAO fad can reach popular mainstream idea (considering series that follow that trope wasn't many either in popular magazine)...
DnDfag said:
None, because opinions of fans hold little weight.Critics opinions have more weight.

opinion doesn't have weight, ¥¥¥¥¥ has... and ironicaly, fans is the one hold it, not "self proclaimed critics"...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 13, 2018 5:30 PM

Apr 2017
mal forums? none

anime ratings? some, when you google a show mal is the first thing to pop up so i guess it must have some semblance of importance

not like they care tho
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
May 13, 2018 5:47 PM

Nov 2011
Manaban said:
I hope to god that we never have any power in anything ever and are just left to be miserable by each other in isolation from the industry and the rest of the internet as a whole for that matter.

It's better that way tbh

>miserable

Don't project that onto me man. Smh.
May 13, 2018 11:51 PM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:

Well, nichely popular to be exact... tho the manga adaptation of slime datta ken sold almost 400 K, the LN sales wasn't spectacular either (maybe because the web novel still available for free?)... so it's not impossible to isekai trope being popular for mainstream audience, tho not even trapped in game SAO fad can reach popular mainstream idea (considering series that follow that trope wasn't many either in popular magazine)...
Then which genres are popular right now in Japan? Since Isekai is out of question right now as u said then as far as i can guess maybe battle shounens and dark seinens in Mangas and Idol/ CGDCT/Magical Girls in anime?
I dont know exactly, so can u tell me?
May 14, 2018 12:00 AM

Apr 2013
There are some Japanese anime fans active on MAL, so I wouldn't say zero. But it surely is not very high.
May 14, 2018 12:02 AM
Jun 2017
They wouldn't even care to shit for us. I would say it's the weight of a fart.
May 14, 2018 12:08 AM

Oct 2015
Absolutely crashed from an airplane, jumped onto a boat, transported by a truck and boarded on another airplane and crashed landed again. Nada

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

May 14, 2018 12:25 AM

Mar 2015
silent_knight98 said:
Kuma said:

Then which genres are popular right now in Japan? Since Isekai is out of question right now as u said then as far as i can guess maybe battle shounens and dark seinens in Mangas and Idol/ CGDCT/Magical Girls in anime?

still advanture/academic battle shounen... tho there is always never something a trope that become actual fad, because popular reader demand something entertaining, fad only entertaining for a while... i wonder if the succesful of the promised never land will pumping other thriller survival series? well let's see...

one thing for sure is cooking series on the heavy rise...it was started by popular trends (well, japan tv shows to be exact) now it's flooding even LN too (like 3 out of isekai mentioned earlier has cooking element) ...

oh and sports... olympic fad is strong in japan (well, they are the palce it held for once)... half of series in weekly shounen magazine is sports.... tho jump doesn't really liking it i guess? kurobas author new series look like disliked.... sunday also has lot sports series....
KumaMay 14, 2018 12:29 AM
May 14, 2018 12:40 AM

Jul 2017
Its a fan community dude, devoted for anime lovers and a place where we can interact and share our love toward anime .... so it got zero impact on anime industry...like imdb on hollywood
May 14, 2018 2:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"unfortunately none"

PFFT..

foh...

i'd disown the western audience entirely if i read MAL comments lol
May 14, 2018 3:35 AM

May 2013
majority of MAL users steal from the industry, if anything they'd want to get rid of us.
May 14, 2018 3:38 AM
Mar 2010
None, which is a good thing to be honest.
May 14, 2018 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
Just a western anime database and recording tool, not anything significant to the industry.
May 14, 2018 10:07 AM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
silent_knight98 said:

still advanture/academic battle shounen... tho there is always never something a trope that become actual fad, because popular reader demand something entertaining, fad only entertaining for a while... i wonder if the succesful of the promised never land will pumping other thriller survival series? well let's see...

one thing for sure is cooking series on the heavy rise...it was started by popular trends (well, japan tv shows to be exact) now it's flooding even LN too (like 3 out of isekai mentioned earlier has cooking element) ...

oh and sports... olympic fad is strong in japan (well, they are the palce it held for once)... half of series in weekly shounen magazine is sports.... tho jump doesn't really liking it i guess? kurobas author new series look like disliked.... sunday also has lot sports series....
Thanks man for all this info ! That other guy was just pouring hatred for isekais, so i m glad that he mentioned u in his post :-D

And btw can i ask u bout stuffs in the future if u dont have any problem?
May 14, 2018 11:34 AM

Mar 2015
silent_knight98 said:
Kuma said:

Thanks man for all this info ! That other guy was just pouring hatred for isekais, so i m glad that he mentioned u in his post :-D

you are welcome... sure, no problem... tho i am not knowladgable that much... just my hobbies of reading and discussing.... i don't even watch anime anymore... mainly manga and LN nowdays....

and for clarification, in your previous link, actually there is 6 isekai, lOl... one of them i forgtten because i already dropped it long time ago... and surprise, it also has cooking subplot....
May 14, 2018 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
It's funny how somebody even thought to ask this question when the answer is so obvious.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
May 14, 2018 3:59 PM

Jul 2017
The only places where anime producers/studios take into consideration is:

1. Japan (duh)
2. China (It's actually pretty popular there).
3. Italy? (Apparently, classic anime are actually well-known over there and Japan recognizes it. For example, Lupin III Part IV aired about 3 months earlier in Italy than Japan with a complete Italian dub as well).

The only real impact Japan companies directly have on US markets it the release of DVDs/Blu-rays. Since they're generally cheaper here than in Japan, they delay the release of them in America so that the Japanese can't reverse-import them.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

May 14, 2018 4:00 PM
Oct 2017
I heard MAL can squat 585 lbs raw natty
May 14, 2018 7:28 PM

Jan 2017
Kuma said:
silent_knight98 said:

you are welcome... sure, no problem... tho i am not knowladgable that much... just my hobbies of reading and discussing.... i don't even watch anime anymore... mainly manga and LN nowdays....

and for clarification, in your previous link, actually there is 6 isekai, lOl... one of them i forgtten because i already dropped it long time ago... and surprise, it also has cooking subplot....
6 isekais and 2 or 3 harems if i remember correctly? And that dude was saying 4 in 100+ XD
May 14, 2018 7:37 PM
May 2018
I think 1 out of 10, I once see Animax quoted this website when showing an Anime trailer.
May 14, 2018 7:44 PM

Jun 2014
Tsuchisa said:
If you want news regarding anime there is anime news network.

If you want reviews about the anime there is youtube. There is also quora.

Plus if you want to know the most famous anime of the season there are streaming sites and they show it, the ones I use anyways. There is also this facebook page called: Anime Trending.

Really myanimelist shows up if there is a thread about it.
This is why Anime discussion threads are important.

But to be honest it is quite efficient, and I am glad that I found it.
Maybe not now but many more years to come. ^.^

And I am equally glad that I found you babygirl <3
Previously: BlueXRam
May 14, 2018 9:14 PM

Oct 2013
-SP- said:
Probably none. Most of the users live outside of Japan, and Japan doesn't give a shit about foreigners.

That is simply not true. Japan recognizes the importance of appealing to foreigners and to such a degree the west probably has more influence than it should. Shows' that break into the western market like Dragon Ball Z and Naturo make it rich simply by virtue of a larger market. Many hope to reach such success and try to cater way more than they should to western ideals. There are also many western companies involved in the production of anime and on many production boards who consider western sales. Some, like Crunchyroll or Netflix, are focused on tailoring more content to the west, whereas, others like Warner Brothers on expanding their bottom line but this generally involves some consideration of the west (e.g. Accel World released in Japan came with English subtitles). Of course, not all shows are going to cater to foreigners but that is the same with any media based industry.

Furthermore, this is likely only to increase as Japan has made it easier for foreign animators to work in the country.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/02/26/national/government-eyes-making-permanent-residency-easier-cool-japan-talent/#.WpcY2-jwbIU
shawnofthedeadzMay 14, 2018 9:18 PM
May 14, 2018 9:26 PM

Jan 2012
Cybertron said:
Unfortunately/Fortunately (pick one) it is zero

The groupthink on this site is cancer.
The anime industry would be doomed if it tried to satisfy the generalized MAL population instead of making what millions of Japanese people want to see.
May 14, 2018 9:36 PM

Dec 2012
The largest garbage pile on Earth may weigh a lot, but in the end it's still just a gigantic pile of trash.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 14, 2018 10:59 PM

Oct 2017
shawnofthedeadz said:
-SP- said:
Probably none. Most of the users live outside of Japan, and Japan doesn't give a shit about foreigners.

That is simply not true. Japan recognizes the importance of appealing to foreigners and to such a degree the west probably has more influence than it should. Shows' that break into the western market like Dragon Ball Z and Naturo make it rich simply by virtue of a larger market. Many hope to reach such success and try to cater way more than they should to western ideals. There are also many western companies involved in the production of anime and on many production boards who consider western sales. Some, like Crunchyroll or Netflix, are focused on tailoring more content to the west, whereas, others like Warner Brothers on expanding their bottom line but this generally involves some consideration of the west (e.g. Accel World released in Japan came with English subtitles). Of course, not all shows are going to cater to foreigners but that is the same with any media based industry.

Furthermore, this is likely only to increase as Japan has made it easier for foreign animators to work in the country.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/02/26/national/government-eyes-making-permanent-residency-easier-cool-japan-talent/#.WpcY2-jwbIU

That seems to be the case only for "Mainstream" Anime. Plus it's not like studios go out of their way to please their foreign fans. As long as their Japanese fans are pleased I don't think they care what the opinions towards their Anime are from foreign perspective. Sales in the West just seem to be an added bonus for them. When's the last time you heard of foreign opinion being taken into account? It's easier for studios to cater towards their domestic population, so I don't think Foreign opinion outside of streaming, will be anything relevant to them, at least now for awhile.
May 15, 2018 3:19 AM

Feb 2017
MAL is just like movie reviews. Even though there are millions of reviews, there is going to be 0 impacts on the industry. Unless it affects it financially, the industry won't give a damn about ratings and reviews.
May 15, 2018 3:21 AM

Feb 2018
MAL is a source of feedback for guys who want to sell their stuff overseas. I bet publishers would like to sell more because the marked is potentially large. MAL alone is obviously not enough to drive someone's decisions, but you can understand a lot about what people like by reading reviews and analyzing stats.
May 15, 2018 8:14 AM

May 2012
People from Production I.G. ask me what anime they should produce all the time.
May 15, 2018 8:23 AM

Apr 2017
this may be a hard pill to swallow, but nobody's opinion on mal means anything to the industry
May 15, 2018 8:25 AM

Nov 2012
Vyzass said:

None and neither does the anime youtuber have in the anime industry. Remember, as long as most anime fans outside Japan still PIRATING, whether it's MAL or internert anime community in general, non have any impact on anime industry. It also why hardly anyone care about anime review/critic since why listen to other people when you can watch anime for free and judge yourself.

Iirc TheAnimeMan is famous in Japan got voice actor work in a Japanese game that is getting an anime adaptation.
May 15, 2018 8:27 AM

Nov 2009
SuperRed said:
Vyzass said:

Iirc TheAnimeMan is famous in Japan got voice actor work in a Japanese game that is getting an anime adaptation.

I don't think that's impact on anime industry but more like being participant as part of anime industry.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

May 15, 2018 2:19 PM

Jul 2015
Lolsebca said:
With one million users and shows that are graded by often more than ten thousand viewers, with active critics and immediate feedback, probably the most representative part of the Western viewer audience online, it goes without saying that MyAnimeList, by the strenght it has gotten in ten years online and an active community, MyAnimeList is probably weighting a bit in the mercantship of anime as a whole.

First thing first, it's a database, with feedback input, therefore being on this website gives a lot of visibility to small entries, far more than if it wasn't there. Secondly you can study the market somehow, with the number of entries for a given genres selection (and their average rating, if you were not to try the water blindly)...

Truly there must be way more reasons MAL is awesome for anime companies, and I think it'd be cool if we could debate of what impact has had MAL on the anime industry and what weight it has got as of today !
That being said, have a good day.

it has a way bigger impact, for starters cr and hulu have embedded videos (convenient when it works) on mal, mal has a manga store. I would not be surprised if mal becomes part of a production committee or two.
Oct 6, 2018 11:49 PM

Jun 2016
As far as Crunchyroll is concerned, we're just a group of weebs that wanted to better catalogue the shows they watch. Guarantee you most anime fans don't even know about MAL let alone cares what the consensus here is on anything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Today

56 by weebtoge »»
15 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 7 hours ago

19 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - Today

26 by ColourWheel »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - May 4

63 by TitanOfPlasma »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

30 by ZakuF_ »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.