Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 13, 2018 9:24 AM

Nov 2013
great conclusion to his character

however i am worried that he had a better connection with the coach and more development than joe will get in this series lol
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 13, 2018 2:45 PM

Jul 2013
Good episode. Liked the development of the characters.
I was hoping that Aragaki would donate his gear to Joe tho.
Like, surely Joe is going to use gear soon, right ? He shouldn't be able to stand a chance in the tournament w/o it.
May 13, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2018
Best anime this season, just beats My Hero season 3.
May 14, 2018 7:52 AM

Oct 2008
Awesome fight! nuff said!
5/5.

May 14, 2018 10:42 AM

Jan 2015
In the beginning of the episode it was slow and boring, but later it was good.
Can someone explain me what are the advantages of a gear?
May 14, 2018 11:01 AM

May 2009
ErnaGhoul said:
In the beginning of the episode it was slow and boring, but later it was good.
Can someone explain me what are the advantages of a gear?

It helps a person to perform noticeably better in the ring depending on the character his preferences.
May 14, 2018 10:14 PM

Mar 2009
What a fight. Just a straight-out brawl. Really enjoyed it.
May 15, 2018 1:53 AM

Apr 2016
Ay, Joe doing the thang. Pretty good episode. Love seeing the other side, and Aragaki has a tremendous story. These last two episodes have been centered around him and his story, and it's pretty good. The suicide attempt scene was touching. Giving the betting ticket to Joe was some srs business. I really do hope he got his closure that he needed, and I think he did. Can't help but feel bad for him though. Headcanon is him getting married and starting his own family lol.

I really enjoyed the slug fest at the end of the fight. I wonder what Joe is going to do when he comes against a real boxer with no disadvantages though. Really needs some gear at this point. We all know Yuuri is waiting for him. Love how the Lion dude was all mad no one cares about him haha.
[
May 15, 2018 4:56 PM
Dec 2017
Dkmariolink said:
GangsterCat said:
the fights have no emotion and not intense at all. it's just boring. there isnt even animation whatsoever in the fight. you might as well watch this with closed eyes.

If you felt no emotion during the fight, especially with the build-up from last ep and flashbacks this episode, you were not paying attention or are a sociopath.

The fighters have to yell their move before attacking, right, typical shounen watcher?

Methinks you're trolling with the no animation comment. Why are you watching this if you seem to dislike it so much btw?
hahahaha you caught the die-hard shounen fan
May 15, 2018 5:02 PM
Dec 2017
Sossig said:
Brahmastra_ said:

That was some bullshit cop out with Joe's durability. Gearless Joe fighting gearless with top contenders fucks up how the Megalo Box world has been built. Like I've said before I think Joe should have fought with half a gear on his right arm to justify going toe someone like Aragaki or he should have fought more on the defense dodging and blocking like a Mayweather, Lara or Tyson Fury.

I'll give the protagonist the benefit of the doubt, technically he lost the bout with Aragaki as the former collapsed on the mat after Aragaki forfeited the fight.

idk if its help with your doubts. In the previous eps explained that Aragaki's gear has about the same power as Joe's punch. the gear was designed for better speed and endurance bcs Aragaki doesn't have much stamina to fight beyond 3 rounds
#correct me if im wrong
you are right it was even mentioned that aragakis gear was so light that it makes him almost gearless
The same people that wont listen to what the teacher explains in class are the ones complaining
May 15, 2018 6:09 PM

Nov 2015
Incredible episode. I love the build up for this fight. 2 of Nanbu's students fight over who is the better student, and the drama between Nanbu and Aragaki. Quite emotional at some points, with the flash backs and with the post fight scene with Nanbu and Aragaki. I hope there's fights like this in the future.

Katsura janai, Zura da

May 19, 2018 2:33 PM

Feb 2013
Drawn out fight... battle of endurance.
Something of an empty victory for Joe... other guy quit.
May 25, 2018 9:55 AM
๐ŸฅŠ CHAMPION ๐ŸฅŠ

Apr 2016
Joe, with a bit of luck, won the fight!!!!
The "tears" of the end of the episode between the trainer and the soldier were grievous!!!
May 26, 2018 12:37 PM

Jul 2016
I have to say, this ended way better than I expected. Joe's going to enter Megalonia right?

Lol at Pepe Iglesias, is he a Cheap Jose Mendoza knockoff?

'The Road to Death', well that's creepy. Every episode so far (or so I think) has had 'death' on its title, I think some dreadful event will be waiting for us in the final episode, if you know what I mean.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Aug 8, 2018 10:37 PM

May 2012
Very lovely episode and fight to be honest, one of the better ones yet! Really like where this is going so let's see what's next.
Aug 17, 2018 3:00 AM

Jun 2013
Aragaki still remembers his lesson with his previous coach, Nanbu. He was triggered when Joe used the same training against him.

TKO for Gearless Joe, Aragaki gave up due to injuries but I'm really curious who would win if they BOTH had gears. Gearless Joe needs to stop being so motherfuckin' gearless and start wearing something. At least, Aragaki's new coach cares for him and knew something was wrong and would've interfered if Aragaki didn't forfeit.

Those PTSD flashbacks hurt my heart. :(

Guess Joe is ranked 17th now. He's closer to Yuri... and their yaoi love story. D: I couldn't help it. How do you expect me to say yuri but not yaoi in the same sentence?
่‡ญใ„-
Jan 17, 2019 3:07 AM

May 2016
Aragaki's mouthguard-removing punch was already brutal enough and Joe came in with a concussive counter that nearly took him out. The whole fight had the most punches thrown so far because of them following their coach's advice of balancing both offense and defense as well as their weight, the latter being very demanding on Aragaki's already struggling bottom half. Throughout the fight, Aragaki saw himself in Joe and his hardiness turned that bitter jealousy into a rivalry-like admiration for being on-par with him and proving that Nanbu wasn't fooling around and discarding the passion he had for boxing.

He was forcing himself so hard to even stand up so once he had a taste of his closure, he forfeited the fight to prevent further permanent disability. That Nanbu-Ashigaki moment where he finally gives back his coach's lucky charm made me cry and last talk between them as coach and student was very touching.

Jan 26, 2019 10:42 PM
Dec 2017
The fight with Joe and Aragaki was pretty good. I'm glad that Aragaki didn't just fight for the sake of revenge. His change for closure makes me like him more.
Sep 27, 2019 4:01 AM

Mar 2015
Joe just keeps getting better!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 30, 2020 10:59 PM

May 2013
Aragaki's still the stronger one. Joe did good tho; he's still growing
Jun 24, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2016
It’s good so far, I like the characters and the setting. The art style is very good, although animations aren't that great.
Jun 25, 2020 9:17 PM

May 2020
man, i like the ost in the fight so much @@
great episode
Jul 7, 2020 1:50 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Didnt expect Joe to win this match to be honest.
It was really emotional at the end of the episode.
Aug 15, 2020 4:17 PM

Jan 2019
I feel bad for the soldier guy. Nice to see some development with the coach
Nov 29, 2020 8:25 PM

Apr 2011
Does the show improve? Im on the brink of dropping it. I was really interested in the world that was created, but it seems like the potential isn’t being utilized and it’s just a gimmik backdrop, especially when the protagonist undermines it all by not using gears.

Im interested in what the shiro group is, what the megalo arena is for, if there's anything more to the gear world, the citizen ids etc.

Also, i want to know why joe fights, his back story, motivation etc. right now i cant root for him, and his toughness and skill, ergo his wins, make no sense to me.

After this episode, i feel like none of this is going to be followed up on? I liked hajime no ippo, slam dunk, etc., and enjoy a good sports anime, but i really thought the premise would be utilized, and am just deflated. Not to mention i love character driven shows plus personality, and there just seems atm to be zero depth to joe.

Is this because im not familiar with the source? Basically, should i continue?
Dec 30, 2020 9:20 AM
Aug 2019
a show about boxing made me cry my heart out. thank god i found this anime
Feb 21, 2021 12:35 PM

Jun 2019
That was the best episode of this series. Felt sad for Aragaki there And the coach as well.
Mar 1, 2021 1:24 AM

May 2020
Awesome fight this episode, and it was good to see Aragaki being able to move on from the past. Joe seems to be really getting to Yuri too.
Apr 2, 2021 5:58 AM

Oct 2016
Loved the latter part of the fight when they were just duking it out, that was awesome. Respect to Aragaki, he can finally move on now. Joe is almost there, I can already taste Megalonia.
Apr 4, 2021 2:22 PM

May 2018
This was a great match! Very heart pumping haha
May 11, 2021 9:14 PM

Aug 2018
Great
Very good chapter, Come on Joe.
Jun 28, 2021 7:03 PM

Apr 2018
Aragaki's flashbacks hit me so hard, how difficult must it have been for him. To kill himself, yet unable to die because he wants to do Megalo boxing. He puts up a great fight against Joe, his last fight tho. But he did it! That was one hell of a fight.
Love the pacing, animation, soundtrack and characters so far. Great job!

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 19, 2021 12:27 AM

May 2020
Damn, what an episode. The fight itself was phenomenal (The continuous 360 shot of them beating the shit out of each other was the highlight) and Aragaki's story actually wrangled a few emotions from me. Best episode for me.
Nov 22, 2021 9:28 AM

Jun 2020
Well oh Well! Joe is learning more better! Aragaki was so great. The fight was so well executed! The part post the fight was the whole crux of this episode. Epic!

CrisHansenHere said:
I just have to say... M A N L Y T E A R S

Totally Agree! Manly Tears Indeed! The emotional moments between Aragaki and Coach Nanbu!

RKASHYAP621Nov 26, 2021 11:03 AM
Feb 1, 2022 4:20 PM

Jun 2020
the picture after the OP kinda spoiled what would happen. loved the scene where both of them were consistently getting good hits on each other
Oct 11, 2022 3:29 PM
Feb 2021
The emotion and background of how this fight came to be elevates it even more, great episode
Jun 14, 2023 3:56 PM

Apr 2013
My favorite fight!

.·:*¨ ๐•พ๐–Š๐–™ ๐•ธ๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–—๐–Š๐–Š - ๐•ต๐–Š๐–˜๐–˜๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–† ๐•ต๐–š๐–“๐–Œ ¨*:·. ๐“†ฉโ™ก๐“†ช
๐Ÿฌ:๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ใ…‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ
โ†บ¹ |โ— โ–ถ โ–ท| โ‹ฎ≡
Dec 7, 2023 4:00 AM
Jul 2017
i wish they handled the suicide attempts more adroitly and the fight was WHACK
Feb 25, 10:19 PM

Jul 2021
A nice fight with an emotional end. I believe in Joe but I think he needs an actual boxing rig if he wants to fight the people who already made it into megolonia.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.