Forum Settings
Forums

Do people cringe over Japanese names in anime?

New
May 1, 2018 12:08 PM
Jun 2015
I ask this because characters will be literally named after light, moon, food,etc. Is it meant to be cringe for japanese watchers or what? Who names their child "light" or freaking strawberry. I feel sorry for these kids, its like naming your child potato. I wonder if that is the reason why anime characters are so insane, the trauma of their parents naming them with awful names went to their heads.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2018 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
I'd bet no more than other people do.
I mean, western names mean stuff like "light of god" and "joy of god", how is that any less cringier?
May 1, 2018 12:16 PM

Nov 2012
Just look at this guy

https://myanimelist.net/character/18827/Killer

He probably had the edgiest parents ever.
May 1, 2018 12:17 PM
May 1, 2018 12:19 PM
Apr 2015
It's almost as if different cultures have different naming conventions and norms.
May 1, 2018 12:20 PM

Feb 2018
I don't think that's limited to Japanese names many western names also mean some random shit but who cares it's not like someone older then 8 looks up the meaning of people's names just to diss them.
May 1, 2018 12:22 PM

Jul 2017
It's almost...like...different cultures have different standards for naming. Who would've thought?
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

May 1, 2018 12:24 PM

Aug 2010
Most cases, ichigo is not written with the kanji for strawberry, same goes for sakura. And this is the norm in that language, they have a lot of speaking names - that's their culture
May 1, 2018 12:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Tentology said:
It's almost as if different cultures have different naming conventions and norms.

Yea... this all the way

Pretty messed up to ask...

In parts of Africa they do similar naming

Nothing wrong with that
May 1, 2018 12:26 PM

Sep 2017
Boy i wish i had names like these...my real name is Senor Kuquonfaes, and it's not fun.
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
May 1, 2018 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah i think its normal for the japanese to name their children after words
May 1, 2018 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
you can't cringe if you don't understand japanese

May 1, 2018 12:35 PM

Jul 2017
Light (γ²γ‹γ‚Š) is not an uncommon name
May 1, 2018 12:38 PM

Jun 2017
Yep , that's why we should all be called Kevin , Kevin is a good name , everyone is a Kevin.

May 1, 2018 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Jare4lopez said:
Yep , that's why we should all be called Kevin , Kevin is a good name , everyone is a Kevin.

Kevin = kind, gentle, handsome, birth
Nice meanings, and not any more cringier than an average name.
May 1, 2018 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
It's like your parents dawg. You were named "15poundfish" because when you were born, you popped right of the your mother's vagina weighing in at 15lb. The fact that you were able to swim past all the other sperm cells, in addition to looking like a fish, made them name you 15poundfish. EZPZ. Your mum must be an anime mum.

Jun 2017
CondemneDio said:
Jare4lopez said:

you did get it was a joke right? 'cause it seems you didn't.

Jan 2013
Jare4lopez said:
CondemneDio said:

you did get it was a joke right? 'cause it seems you didn't.

I did catch it, but I also like checking the etymology of words.
May 1, 2018 12:43 PM

Feb 2017
Why is it cringy? Different cultures have different names. For example in my language (and in other Slavic languages) we have names after plants (like strawberry, cherry, quince... or names that mean "peace ruler" , "given by god" etc.). Only thing cringy here is you finding different culture's names cringy.
May 1, 2018 12:44 PM

Sep 2009
Many names are not what you think they mean as some have different meanings. Alot of them are written differently thus having different meanings. For example, Ichigo does mean strawberry but it also means 15, one word and whole life. Each are written differently but are pronounced the same.
May 1, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2016

Do you not know the name of Kim Kardashian's child?
American celebs are no better with naming their actual children. So what exactly is your point?
May 1, 2018 12:55 PM

Dec 2017
It depends on the kanji that the name is written in.

Which is why people in anime sometimes ask how someone's name is spelled.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

May 1, 2018 12:58 PM

Sep 2016
15poundfish said:
I ask this because characters will be literally named after light, moon, food,etc. Is it meant to be cringe for japanese watchers or what? Who names their child "light" or freaking strawberry. I feel sorry for these kids, its like naming your child potato. I wonder if that is the reason why anime characters are so insane, the trauma of their parents naming them with awful names went to their heads.

Dude, it's symbolism. Things, even a potato can represent a multitude of meanings. Go learn literature, will you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2018 12:59 PM

Jun 2012
From the title my impression was that your question was about whether or not people watching dubbed Anime cringe when the characters mention eachothers names. Hearing an English conversation spoken by native English speakers does sound funny when they're calling eachother Tachibana and Ichimonji without any honorifics.

What annoys me more is when a fansub group will lazily translate "showa mitai" into "you're old fashioned", because TL notes apparently aren't a thing people like to see anymore.
May 1, 2018 1:04 PM

Jun 2012
komic said:
Many names are not what you think they mean as some have different meanings. Alot of them are written differently thus having different meanings. For example, Ichigo does mean strawberry but it also means 15, one word and whole life. Each are written differently but are pronounced the same.
15 is JΕ«go. I understand why you thought it's fifteen because Ichi and go, but the go in this case can mean no.
Basically "no.1"
May 1, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2017
Tentology said:

Exactly.

Also every name means something even if English ones arent very evident.
May 1, 2018 1:09 PM

Jun 2012
james501 said:
Tentology said:

Exactly.

Don't alot of them come from Greek and Hebrew words that do have specific meanings? Biblical scholars would be able to tell most of us what our names mean.
May 1, 2018 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
As long as their name isn't Bluesy Fluesy, it's all fine in my book.
May 1, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
Yorozuman said:
james501 said:

Exactly.

Don't alot of them come from Greek and Hebrew words that do have specific meanings? Biblical scholars would be able to tell most of us what our names mean.

Yes, they do.
As well from older versions of English (duh), German, French etc etc.
It's just that English has cahnged a lot and the words used to create those names dont exist in the same form making them hard to recognise.

In my language, Greek, some names have very obvious meanings like
Agape=love
Irene=peace
Anastasia=resurrection (referring to Christ)
Nikolaus=People's victory
Andreas= man/manly or "brave" (derived from the traditional association of masculinity with bravery and strength)
May 1, 2018 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
Kanji allow great flexibility in Japanese names, allowing names to have double or even triple meaning
May 1, 2018 1:23 PM

Aug 2009
15poundfish said:

I don't mind weird names for Japanese characters. I am not Japanese so I don't know what is and isn't considered a weird name by their standards.It might be pretty normal for all we know that Light and Moon might be common names for people in Japan. It might be word play and its relation of the character to the story. Tenchi in Japanese means Heaven and Earth while Muyo means useless, being prohibited,or needlessness.

I do cringe when I hear Japanese honorifics in English dubbed anime. Because outside of Japan no one except for maybe weaboos use Japanese honorifics. I don't mind them in subbed anime because its not like I am really paying attention to what they are saying seeing how I don't understand Japanese.
May 1, 2018 1:27 PM

Feb 2014
I mean, my IRL name literally comes from the latin word for "wine".

Who names their child "light"

Anyone who names their child a derivative of Lucius, e.g Lucy, Lucian, Lucine, Lucinda, etc
May 1, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2015
Every names have meanings. I western culture most names are either taken from latin, ancient greek and hebrew
http://www.babynames.net/all/greek
http://babynames.net/all/latin
http://babynames.net/all/hebrew
or from the past of your own language, those words maybe still in use in their original meaning as well. For example, in most languages the words for plants, animals, gems, natural phenomena, constellations and many other stuff are fairly popular given names.
May 1, 2018 1:38 PM

May 2009
CondemneDio said:
I mean, western names mean stuff like "light of god" and "joy of god", how is that any less cringier?
This, basically.

There's far, far more reuse of syllables and pronunciations, and thus puns and multiple meanings, in Japanese, compared to English. It's far, far more common to use words that have specific meanings, rather than words that are only used for names. This is the case in Chinese too.

As for English names, maybe they're "cringey" when I first hear them, but after a while...they don't get any less silly, but they just sorta become taken for granted and merely form part of the backdrop to whatever action is going on.

The only reason Japanese writers' attempts at English names tend to be substandardly bad is because they don't know the language. Imagine if you tried to come up with Japanese names. You probably wouldn't be able to deal with the different possible meanings from different Kanji readings, and the best you could do is to simply reuse the names of existing characters you know, and at best spell them in hiragana. And if you're not careful, you even might end up mixing male, female, and unisex names.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 1, 2018 1:45 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 1, 2018 1:41 PM

Feb 2015
I think you wouldn't understand them because:

1) You have no life, but the characters have a life

2) You don't even have a GF

3) Heck, you won't even have a wife just because of 2)

4) Fuck damn, you won't even have a child named X because of 3) and 2)

May 1, 2018 2:11 PM

Oct 2015
You do realize that this isn't an only Japanese tradition right? There are plenty tradition that uses objects as names. And it symbolizes people, specially in fiction where you can form a characters personality.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 1, 2018 2:53 PM

Mar 2018
Sonal1988 said:

Do you not know the name of Kim Kardashian's child?
American celebs are no better with naming their actual children. So what exactly is your point?

But everyone cringes at that, so I don't think it's a very good counter argument
May 2, 2018 4:18 AM

Sep 2017
zieek said:
Well personally I don't cringe at those things. But I do when a Japanese individual is named something like
Martin Kusakabe (both Japanese and western
mixed in the name).

Those names do exist though...
Primarily among Japanese Americans and maybe Japanese in Japan who had a Western parent
May 2, 2018 4:32 AM

Mar 2015
how if i tuld you there is a culture where they name their chldren with wierdist things that it name literaly mean "shit" "unlucky" "sickness" "starvation" "piss" "penis" "boner" "vagina" "pus" "closet" "midget" etc....

sound irrational? well, in their believe, wicked things want to stole good things... they didn't want their precious childern wanted by wicked things.... so they give them bad name as good charm in the future so their bad names already absorb their unluckyness and as wicked things repellant....

you are literaly have no knowladge about basic japanese culutre, complitely the complexity of japanese language with kanji and connotation, and pretty much, every culutre has their own philosophy of the name giving... understanding is much better than being prejudice...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 2, 2018 5:22 AM

Feb 2015
Mine name literally means berry, yes the small blue or black things you can eat and the word for that fruit is spelled and pronounced exactly the same as my name. It's not even that rare name (one of my old classes had 2 other berries aside from me) and it's not cringy at all even if it's connected to the fruit because it's considered normal by everyone so I doubt that Japs feel anyhow different about their names.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
May 2, 2018 5:31 AM

Mar 2015
I mean plenty of other cultures do that as well. Just look at all those celebrities who name their kids apple or some shit. The translation for pearl is a pretty common name here in my country, and I've never really thought it was cringy or anything...
May 2, 2018 7:43 AM

Jul 2017
CondemneDio said:

nobody names their child like this
litteraly
not nobody but like 2 people in america? srsl
May 2, 2018 7:46 AM

Jul 2017
May 2, 2018 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
Zehennagel said:
CondemneDio said:

litteraly

Bruh, western names all come from stuff like that.

Joseph = god will increase/add
Matt = gift of god
Henry = rules the home
Lucas = light !!!
And the list goes on, and on, and on...

It's nothing different, just that the meanings behind the words come from so long ago the meanings have been lost to the common language.
May 2, 2018 7:57 AM

Mar 2018
My real name in my language means 'The one who rivals rain'.
. . .
. . .
. . .
Just kill me already, OP.

May 2, 2018 9:27 AM

Jan 2010
Ehh, you know, we have this pretty common name "Indah" which is literally mean "Beautiful" or "Cinta" which mean "Love"

So, it's like, "Hey Beautiful/Love! Whats up?" except it's actually their name instead of sweet way of calling ppl lmao.

And it doesn't sound weird at all here since it's pretty common to pick names directly from words.

Like,

"Hello, my name is Beautiful"
"Hello, my name is Love"
"Hello, my name is Holy"
"Hello, my name is Gem"
"Hello, my name is Dawn"
"Hello, my name is Inspiration"
"Hello, my name is Sustenance"
"Hello, my name is Revelation"

lol it sounds so weird in english!
May 2, 2018 9:42 AM

Aug 2017
Different culture so it might sound weird to you but definitly not for them, my name literally translates to lightning now that might sound weird to people who have different culture than me in the same way Japanese people also don't find their names cringey.
May 2, 2018 9:43 AM

Aug 2017
i would definitely name my child casca
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2018 11:01 AM

Jul 2017
CondemneDio said:
Zehennagel said:

litteraly

Bruh, western names all come from stuff like that.

Joseph = god will increase/add
Matt = gift of god
Henry = rules the home
Lucas = light !!!
And the list goes on, and on, and on...

It's nothing different, just that the meanings behind the words come from so long ago the meanings have been lost to the common language.

yes, then, like I said, their name are not that. they come from this, but in our langague, it doesn't mean shit. probably in japan (since they seem to alwais explain what their name mean) it's the same as us and people don't know what people's name mean, if it does have a meaning to begin with.

and you worded your sentence in a way that was implimenting that people's name are that, and not COME FROM that(exept if I didn't understand this part)
May 2, 2018 11:04 AM

Feb 2015
In a world where Batman, of all things, is considered cool, I'm sure there are much cringier things to find than characters named after words in Japanese.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
5 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
6 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
11 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
12 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.