Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2018 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Have you ever watched an anime that made you curse the mainstream ? Have you ever stumbled upon an unpopular show that by all means deserves to be well-known ? If yes, then can you give me an example ? I have a lot of these, but my main example is Joshiraku. It isn't even remotely popular in Japan.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2018 3:53 AM

Aug 2017
all the anime listed in my favorites should be the 10 most popular anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2018 3:53 AM

Sep 2015
Long Riders! needs more attention. I know it's rated pretty low in MAL but I really loved it and I wonder why people don't seem to like it.
Mar 22, 2018 4:27 AM
Feb 2018
Space Dandy deserves to be popular. I feel that it went under the radar because nobody talks about it. It was a very fun show and more people should watch it.
Mar 22, 2018 4:30 AM

May 2013
I was surprised that The Rose Of Versailles wasn't popular in the USA, it didn't even get an English dub ! This anime has been a huge hit in Europe (here in France it even aired on a children cartoon block !) and has a LOT of qualities, I really wonder what didn't work out.
There are other shows like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken which got almost the same fate but I didn't watch any of them.
Est-ce que ton frigo marche ?
Mar 22, 2018 4:38 AM

Feb 2014
Noein IMO is criminally underwatched, even among fans of sci-fi and time travel/parallel worlds anime. It's like Steins Gate, but on a much bigger scale.
Mar 22, 2018 4:47 AM

Jan 2013
A lot of them to be honest, especially now when I watch many unpopular anime. Not that I care about rankings this much, but sometimes it just surprises me. For example, I'd expect the Macross franchise to be more popular.
Mar 22, 2018 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1209/Nasu__Andalusia_no_Natsu

for those that want to experience the beauty of sports anime and those turned off by the large amount of episodes other sports anime have.
Mar 22, 2018 5:46 AM

Nov 2014
I definitely think Flip Flappers should have got a lot more attention than it did. It was extremely original and a blast to watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2018 5:53 AM

Sep 2015
The fact that Asterisk War got a sequel and Rakudai Kishi didn't haunts me to this day. Not so much a popularity thing, but still.
Mar 22, 2018 5:54 AM

Apr 2016
Some garbage one, so that people can see what trash it truly is.

But no, they will most probably start to like it.
Mar 22, 2018 6:00 AM

Nov 2009
I was surprised how good Giant Killing was because I didn't expect anything out of it since it's a pretty obscure title, but it was a breath of fresh air after all those superpowered shounen spocons and turned out to be the best realistic sports anime I've watched so far.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Mar 22, 2018 6:10 AM

Dec 2015
Cossette no Shouzou is ridiculously underwatched. I know it's old and an OVA but this is, yes I'm going to use the buzzword, edgy done right.
Mar 22, 2018 6:11 AM
Aug 2016
Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei.

I would consider SZS as an 'experimental ground' for future ideas for the Monogatari Series and Madoka Magica in terms of animation.

basedMar 22, 2018 6:14 AM
Mar 22, 2018 7:55 AM
Dec 2013
Hayate no Gotoku definitely needs more popularity.
wildhoodMar 22, 2018 8:57 AM
Mar 22, 2018 8:03 AM

Jan 2018
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei needs more attention. it's rated pretty low in MAL but I really loved it and I wonder why people don't seem to like it.
Mar 22, 2018 8:09 AM

Jan 2013
Haunted Junction

I finished this anime today and I'm amazed how good and unpopular it actually is...
It's so funny and about yokai what more people want? ;-; Ok the visuals are not the best but that's not a point, this plot is everything

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Mar 22, 2018 8:09 AM

Feb 2016
Pingu in the City deserves to be more popular, it's the best anime and also my favorite after all.
Mar 22, 2018 8:13 AM

Jun 2011
thibaud76200 said:
I was surprised that The Rose Of Versailles wasn't popular in the USA, it didn't even get an English dub ! This anime has been a huge hit in Europe (here in France it even aired on a children cartoon block !) and has a LOT of qualities, I really wonder what didn't work out.
There are other shows like Saint Seiya and Hokuto No Ken which got almost the same fate but I didn't watch any of them.
It is a dramatic Shoujo and not sci-fi. At the time ROV came out, all of anime fandom was in the sci-fi genre... and even the 20 years after, we were Scifi dominated because of how you could get access to more anime... which was at sci-fi conventions... ROV wasn’t available legally in the USA until I think 2013.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 22, 2018 8:23 AM
Aug 2016
Kubikiri cycle deserve more attention in my opinion
Mar 22, 2018 8:30 AM

Dec 2015
Gungrave. It's flawed (bad ep1, silly sci-fi stuff, old graphic yadda yadda), I get it. But if you can get past the flaws, it's prolly the most rewarding watch. Ever. It's got an incredibly beautiful ending telling ya.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Mar 22, 2018 8:40 AM
Jul 2015
Easily it's "March Comes in Like a Lion"
An amazing amazing show
Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it heuhuhu
Mar 22, 2018 8:47 AM

Sep 2017
I feel like Ajin and Flip Flappers need more populairity. I think I'm going to check out the anime you mentioned, OP. Looks like a lot of fun.

(funny how almost every anime listed here is pretty populair)

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Mar 22, 2018 8:50 AM

Apr 2015
Hmm, most of anime posted above is already popular enough tho... this season, Mitsuboshi Colors should be a popular one instead of being underrated show, at least as popular as gochiusa in my opinion.. it has 3 cute grade school loli that act like they should be.. what more people want...

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Mar 22, 2018 8:51 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Fantastic Children
Uta Kata
Shadow Star Narutaru
Mar 22, 2018 8:59 AM

Aug 2017
Ajin was really good I really liked the concept and a MC as a sociopath? That's something new and can put some people off but it was pretty entertaining nevertheless.
Mar 22, 2018 9:01 AM

Jan 2017
No anime really deserve to be popular but I’d reccomend Rec to anybody who wants a simple romance show (it’s not the best but it’s short and a good watch)
Mar 22, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2017
*ZAWA ZAWA* Kaiji deserves to be #1 in popularity *ZAWA ZAWA*

Mar 22, 2018 9:22 AM
Aug 2016
Gankutsuou and Kaiji definitely deserve to be more popular, but huh, who cares :^)
Mar 22, 2018 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
I'd say Miira no Kaikata, Mitsuboshi colours and Slow Start this season. Also Demi-chan wa Kataritai last Winter. It seems like they are not popular to have new projects in the future.
(But there is a side of me who don't want the anime I like to get popular, because I don't want them to attract controversy, which is annoying)

Btw Joshiraku sold pretty well (iirc), above average but probably not enough for another season.
Mar 22, 2018 9:28 AM

Jan 2018
I think Gankutsuou and Rainbow should be way more popular.
Mar 22, 2018 9:39 AM

Sep 2014
impmontamer03 said:
Gungrave. It's flawed (bad ep1, silly sci-fi stuff, old graphic yadda yadda), I get it. But if you can get past the flaws, it's prolly the most rewarding watch. Ever. It's got an incredibly beautiful ending telling ya.

No way I'm gonna struggle all these obnoxious flaws for 20 more episodes
Mar 22, 2018 10:01 AM

Apr 2015
Kyousougiga and Juuni Kokuki?

I don't think I've ever held a conversation with someone about either of them.. like... ever...
Mar 22, 2018 11:38 AM

Apr 2017
soredemo sekai wa utsukushii deserves more love and popularity.

ieki no remi is a great obscure anime that everyone should check out.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Mar 22, 2018 11:40 AM

Sep 2015
Kanojo ga Mimai ni Konai Wake and Soredemo Tsuma wo Aishiteru should be more popular
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Mar 22, 2018 11:50 AM
Apr 2016
''Sakurada Reset'' for me , i stuck with the serie and it was definitely worth it ^^
Mar 22, 2018 11:51 AM

Feb 2009
Btooom! I mean, that anime was awesome. I loved it! And since it didn't do well in sales, A second season seemed impossible at first, but then they made the game for it which probably didn't do well.

The fans are really pushing them to make one though
Mar 22, 2018 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
Chihayafuru, Ashita no Joe, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and to a certain extent Gintama.
Mar 22, 2018 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
My favourites are plenty popular tbh

Gundam Unicorn is the best mecha anime ever but the numbers are understandable as it's best watched after having seen few oldies people aren't that interested in

Juuni Kokuki is also quite popular considering it's already like 16 years old, but it definitely could/should be watched by more people, especially now that Isekai is so popular

Night is short~~ isn't at all worse than Tatami Galaxy, in fact I would say it's better, so every Yuasa fan should get to watching it already

I also believe RahXephon ain't popular enough because of the 'eva clone' label it got, despite any similarities being irrelevant

it's hard to speak for shows you don't like as much
I guess half of the good stuff from 80s could be mentioned but that's not gonna happen
Mar 22, 2018 1:20 PM

Mar 2015
Saiki Kusuo. Konosuba gets all the attention when Saiki is the best comedy anime to come out in years.
Mar 22, 2018 3:53 PM

Nov 2014
Congintive said:
Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei needs more attention. it's rated pretty low in MAL but I really loved it and I wonder why people don't seem to like it.

Its actually pretty popular in Japan,check out recent LN sales.

As for my own, well the anime isn't that good but the manga Pandora Hearts is awesome
Mar 22, 2018 3:59 PM
May 2017
assyrian said:
assyrian said:

I agree. Cromartie High School is the GOAT.
Mar 22, 2018 4:30 PM

Apr 2015
pgmhecateii said:
lswarmruler said:
Hmm, most of anime posted above is already popular enough tho... this season, Mitsuboshi Colors should be a popular one instead of being underrated show, at least as popular as gochiusa in my opinion.. it has 3 cute grade school loli that act like they should be.. what more people want...

At least Gochiusa's loli weren't as annoying...fav chara in Mitsuboshi is the police guy, lmao.
well gochiusa loli has lot more cringy moments tho... and i think only sat-chan that is little annoying and its still pretty normal and cute f or kids their age...

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Mar 22, 2018 6:29 PM
Dec 2015
Gungrave is an underrated gem. Flawed, but great. Keep an eye shut about the flaws and it'll be a rewarding watch.
Mar 22, 2018 6:40 PM

May 2009
I could just say this:
assyrian said:
...except this would be boring. But Kiddy Grade and Rocket Girls are certainly awesome shows.

ExactlyStandard said:
Space Dandy deserves to be popular. I feel that it went under the radar because nobody talks about it. It was a very fun show and more people should watch it.
I was under the impression that it's already quite popular.

Just not necessarily popular in the sense of "people are still talking about it here and now", but popular in the sense that it was certainly on a lot of people's radars already.

TigersAndDragons said:
The fact that Asterisk War got a sequel and Rakudai Kishi didn't haunts me to this day. Not so much a popularity thing, but still.
Are you talking about Asterisk War's second season? I thought that's just the second half of the overall story arc covering the tournament the characters are in. I don't know anything about Rakudai Kishi though.

wildhood said:
Hayate no Gotoku definitely needs more popularity.
I know this thanks to its fripSide theme song.

KushHaze said:
Fantastic Children
Uta Kata
Shadow Star Narutaru
Woot, someone else who knows about Uta~Kata!

IdleSolution said:
*ZAWA ZAWA* Kaiji deserves to be #1 in popularity *ZAWA ZAWA*
Far as I know it already shows up regularly in generic rec lists.

PrevE said:
the anime isn't that good but the manga Pandora Hearts is awesome
And I know this series because it has a savage genius theme song.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 22, 2018 7:04 PM

Feb 2015
There's things that affects the factor of popularity. Mainly its availability to the viewers and how can the viewers relate to the series. There's a reason why harem/isekai is so popular.
Mar 23, 2018 9:28 AM

Jul 2016
Congintive said:

Because mc is Jesus, the memes going around him were top tier I give it that. Overall people hated the mc because he was just bullshit op.

I wish Rokka no yuusha and Grimgar would have been more popular, I liked the take on both of these shows because it was quite refreshing, especially rokka no yuusha not actually being an isekai, we got way too many shows of that currently around.
Mar 23, 2018 9:36 AM

Jul 2017
Lupin III. The modern series at the least.

Every anime fan should definitely watch The Castle of Cagliostro. Not only was it directed by Miyazaki, but it's also influenced a ton of animation from around the world. Even the head of Pixar said that it influenced his decision to work in this field.

Anyways, the modern series are just as great too. Notably Part IV. Anybody who remotely enjoyed Castle of Cagliostro should like this series, especially if they're looking for a more mature rendition of the characters. Sadly, it never caught on.

For being a classic in every sense of the word, it has a pretty small fanbase, especially on MAL.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Mar 23, 2018 10:37 AM
Oct 2017
sword art online bc digibro hates it and brainwashed every1 into thinkin it bad !!! but it is good !!!
Mar 23, 2018 10:42 AM

Jan 2018
Doraemon is one of the most popular anime in the history, and one of the longest running anime in general. The plot is nice and story is also hilarious, the film of the Doraemon are also extremely awesome and pretty dramatic.

Pokemon anime is one of the most popular and well favorited anime, including me, Ash journeys not only to Kanto region but all over region and meet many companions that are based on original game and Ash gets an outfit that based on playable trainer, they also face an threat from the evil organization, with their intentions to use Pokemon as a power of sources.

(sorry for my poor english)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

141 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 1 hour ago

8 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

992 by d_t_a0811 »»
4 minutes ago

» why are anime sometimes divided into 2 parts of 12 episodes instead of 24 episodes?

Tsuyatoash - 54 minutes ago

7 by Phosphophyllita »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 29

46 by DarkShame2 »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.