Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 21, 2018 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, another episode that features Violet bonding with another character with some background story.

Idk how to feel about the story itself but it had its emotions with his memories of Maria. In the meantime, it looks like Violet lives through another experience with someone that she tried to get to know more.

She managed to deliver her letter along with the emotions it carried.
Mar 21, 2018 8:33 AM

Mar 2013
Yes my favorite chapter in the novel is adapted. Again reiterating the fact that they removed witchcraft added so much realism to the adaptation (even if she still basically freaking parachuted and ninja-ed her opponents lol.) Imagine that same scene, but with a battle axe the size of a literal lamp pole instead... That was the light novel version lol.

Also changing Violet character slightly allows the viewer to empathize with her post war self and her resolve to not kill WAY more. She doesn't even use weapons for self defense throughout the whole anime after the war, showing the difference between her anime counterpart resolve and her light novel one where she does use weapons (including her damn mega sized battle axe, a pistol, carotid piercing needles, throwing knives,etc) for self defense only.

Seems like they aren't going to adapt chapter 10's prison story in the TV run so they sort of added elements of it with the confrontation scene in this episode with the enemy soldier.

Next episode will probably be
SalmonSandwichMar 21, 2018 8:41 AM
Mar 21, 2018 8:52 AM

Apr 2016
Good/Average episode. Glad they removed witchcraft.

The content was pretty generic and rushed, but it wasn't horrible. They probably introduced that idea of a civil war just to show that the last chapter will definitely be adapted. That talk about the intercontinental train as well. In the novel, it was a war between 2 separate countries fighting over an oilfield drilling facility. In fact, that was what Aiden's army was trying to secure. His side was very weak due to the fact that the soldiers mainly consisted of men who were never trained before.

Come to think of it... Has Violet cried in every single episode since episode 7? I'm pretty sure she did... Just checked, and I don't think she cried in episode 8.

Here's the longer versions of his dictations for the letters if you want to read:

Major_GilbertMar 22, 2018 9:42 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 21, 2018 9:37 AM

Apr 2010
Well it seems Violet still has a skills not to mention her reputation on the battlefield.
It's clear however that she has a lot more emotion now and she cares for other which is a huge change from the person she was.
Mar 21, 2018 10:07 AM
Feb 2017
I hope Lux Sibyl and Edward Jones adaptaion in Anime
Mar 21, 2018 10:44 AM

Mar 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
Good episode. Glad they removed witchcraft.

there was supposed to be witchcraft in this particular arc? Idk, cause I forgot if this one is the part where it'd show Violet carrying a ginormous axe like in the novel
Mar 21, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2016
Ryuseishun said:
Major_Gilbert said:

there was supposed to be witchcraft in this particular arc? Idk, cause I forgot if this one is the part where it'd show Violet carrying a ginormous axe like in the novel

Mar 21, 2018 11:16 AM
Jul 2016
Mate it was a really beautiful and sad episode, but my problem is that they didnt show the part of the... well you know if you read it. But aside from that, glad they did not put the witchcraft, would make no sense.
Mar 21, 2018 11:29 AM

Apr 2016
Melissa_BAE said:
Mate it was a really beautiful and sad episode, but my problem is that they didnt show the part of the... well you know if you read it. But aside from that, glad they did not put the witchcraft, would make no sense.

Which part are you talking about?

Mar 21, 2018 12:37 PM

Nov 2007

The kiss that never happened, happened in his dying moments. T_T

When he said he considered Maria as a little sister growing up together but perhaps loved her as well after getting confessed to by her, I could see the regrets in his words to not have done anything like lovers would, not even sharing kisses. What a moment to realize how much she really meant to him.

I already knew he was heading for the inevitable yet when he said he couldn't see anymore and after Violet held his hand he said it was getting colder I could barely hold my tears back. I thought he said "I love you" but then I realized he said "Let's kiss." which prompted Violet to kiss on his forehead.

But when the mother thanked Violet for bringing her son back home, I couldn't hold it back anymore. I suddenly recalled someone really close to my family to have said she would be eternally grateful if her husband's whereabouts was made known who has been MIA for decades now. Everyone knows he is never gonna return yet she became old waiting for any news. Those who have not experienced the uncertainty of not knowing the whereabouts of their loved ones probably won't understand. They were so grateful to Violet because she risked her life to bring their loved one home through his final words. T_T

Other than the skydive and close combat aside, which is expected of Violet now for this anime, the episode was extremely sad. I have cried in every episode since episode 7. This anime is just too much for my heart.

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 21, 2018 12:42 PM
Jul 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
Melissa_BAE said:

Which part are you talking about?

This might be an spoiler for anime only so, if you want to read it, very well then.

[spoilers] the part of the torture, the soldiers that were in the LN, were shooting for fun to Aiden, in his legs if I remember correctly, and in Aiden’s mind, he starts saying “I don’t want to die”. I believe is the mort heartbreaking stories, and I suppose they toned down because is a TV broadcaster, but that part made the scene more horrid and cruel, so I was kinda hoping they would show it but, I can understand why they didn’t.
Mar 21, 2018 12:51 PM

Aug 2017
The animation is a masterpiece! It never disappoints me. My favourite scene was Violet attacking the soldiers! Go Violet! The landscape have some interesting combination of colours. It feels so good :) 2/5
NurguburuMar 21, 2018 1:15 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 21, 2018 2:19 PM
Dec 2015
SalmonSandwich said:
Yes my favorite chapter in the novel is adapted. Again reiterating the fact that they removed witchcraft added so much realism to the adaptation (even if she still basically freaking parachuted and ninja-ed her opponents lol.) Imagine that same scene, but with a battle axe the size of a literal lamp pole instead... That was the light novel version lol.

Also changing Violet character slightly allows the viewer to empathize with her post war self and her resolve to not kill WAY more. She doesn't even use weapons for self defense throughout the whole anime after the war, showing the difference between her anime counterpart resolve and her light novel one where she does use weapons (including her damn mega sized battle axe, a pistol, carotid piercing needles, throwing knives,etc) for self defense only.

Seems like they aren't going to adapt chapter 10's prison story in the TV run so they sort of added elements of it with the confrontation scene in this episode with the enemy soldier.

Mar 21, 2018 2:35 PM
May 2017
Major_Gilbert said:

Come to think of it... Has Violet cried in every single episode since episode 7? I'm pretty sure she did... Just checked, and I don't think she cried in episode 8.

Here's the longer versions of his dictations for the letters if you want to read:

She did cried in Episode 10.
Mar 21, 2018 3:38 PM

Feb 2016
Worst episode so far, Everything was so rushed, random and very anticlimactic.

like: "OMG my customer is on the middle of a war, lets rush there because why fucking not. It doesn't matter if the enemy Sees me, I'm invincible lol, if they see me they will surrender because the plot demands it"

Then it comes the "emotional" part that only has lasts 5 minutes, and another "emotional" part that lasts another 5 minutes... THE END

The whole moment with the soldier and his letter would have been great if it lasted long enough. Same goes for the letter that Violet delivered.

2/5
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 21, 2018 3:54 PM

Mar 2013
criss88 said:
SalmonSandwich said:

If its that aspect of Violet growth then I wholeheartedly agree that you are right. But in my opinion what you described suited the character of Violet in the light novels, where we knew
However in this version of the anime adaptation I think it would go against the themes of the anime version compared to what you described.

However this is my own perception of the anime adaptation so if you do don't agree with my perspective then it is completely understandable.

The anime consistently showcases Violet overcoming her faults and weaknesses through her own strength (even if she gets help from others in the anime, ultimately Violet overcomes it through her own strength versus the novels where she was more pushed by others primarily.) Biggest example of this is how they portray how she overcomes Gilbert death in the novel versus the anime. In both versions while she is aided by others, the biggest difference is that in the anime version they don't skip how she "wills" herself to work again after being inspired by her coworkers. They actually show Violet actively moving on, where as in the novels they just go into a time skip and imply it passively.

To the point that they switched around specific events in the timeline, such as changing her living with the Evergardens in the novels with her living alone in the CH Postal company emphasizing independence for Violets growth as a character.

Also certain events actively hiding
such as moving up her first meeting with Dietfried

Sorry for the huge text post haha... But ultimately this is why I disagree that
since the anime adaptation has been subtly changing its narrative ever so slightly compared to the novels with its perception of the main character Violet into being more independent to her novel counterpart. So
would kind of go against the theme of independence and "moving on" imo. Of course I'll have to eat my own words if

Major_Gilbert said:

Yeah I agree 100% on removing witchcraft. Also not only did she cry every episode (even if it was depicted in her dreams) since ep 7 but the animators have been subtly introducing emotional character acting like Violet biting her lips in this episode, last episode where they hide her face when Ann talks about her father's honorable death in the war, and etc. Also what do you think about my perspective on
that I was discussing with
criss88, I think its a interesting point of debate for individuals that read the light novels first.
SalmonSandwichMar 21, 2018 4:09 PM
Mar 21, 2018 6:11 PM

Jun 2017
please...just...author...just...stop killing characters please, i have no tissues enough TT.TT

also what do you mean with witchcraft? you can spoiler me if you want
"Gradually Watermelon"
Mar 21, 2018 8:19 PM

Apr 2014
RIP Aiden, didn't make it back to the Waifu

Violet with them feels

Mar 21, 2018 8:40 PM
Jul 2015
Mh, the dramatic story related to the war most generic possible; touches what is a loss in the field, Something well known for someone who has minimal knowledge on the subject, and as can not be missed in Violet Evergarden contains what is a loving relationship, because it is what moves the most and all that, Cute mediocre resourse.
Mar 21, 2018 10:16 PM

Nov 2013
Mediocre episode. Any episodes after episode 10 is effectively filler so far.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 21, 2018 11:37 PM
Mar 2018
Great episode and superb improvement on novel chapter.
Mar 21, 2018 11:43 PM

Apr 2016
SalmonSandwich said:
Also what do you think about my perspective on
that I was discussing with
criss88, I think its a interesting point of debate for individuals that read the light novels first.

Mar 22, 2018 12:53 AM

May 2015
great ep tho in the novel she had a cooler entrance for some reason i really want to see her wield witchcraft but not killing the soldiers is better for the story and im glad that it wasnt a kiss on the lips
Mar 22, 2018 1:26 AM

Jul 2014
Well, I cried again (because I'm weak), but I really didn't like this story that much, it was...just sad. I didn't have time to empathize with the soldier or anyone else, especially after the previous episode in which we saw and felt the pain of mother and daughter having to separate. Here, we saw the soldier agonizing for 5 minutes and yes, it was sad but I don't know, I think I would have liked it better if he had come back alive, it would have left me with a better feeling.
Mar 22, 2018 2:23 AM
Oct 2015
Felt like this episode got overshadowed by the previous one just because that one was just spectacular but this episode was still really emotionally strong just because of the letter delivery scene, also that action scene with Violet was pretty sick.
Unlike the previous episode where they even removed the opening and they spent the entire time on the mother and the daughter, this one felt a bit empty.
Heckle was here...
Mar 22, 2018 2:31 AM

Dec 2014
The cruel cruelty of the battlefield. T.T

Violet crying at the end was incredibly sad. :(

@Major_Gilbert Really appreciate you posting the longer version, thanks. :)
Mar 22, 2018 2:39 AM

Dec 2010
crotchexplorer said:
when Violet gave the bloodied cloth to Maria seemed kinda unreasonable

Well you could interpret that as Violet still having flaws in her emotional empathy development, like how she bluntly wrote her first letter as is back in ep2-3.
Mar 22, 2018 2:47 AM

Apr 2016
We are getting little over dramatic with the past few episodes, and it starts to becoming a cliche.

Also that "deep strike" was like from Captain America movie lol.
Mar 22, 2018 3:17 AM

Aug 2014
It's not as good as the last ep tbh, it's still sad yeah but It felt more like forced sadness rather than natural one.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 22, 2018 3:36 AM
Aug 2015
Finally!! They've adapted one of my favorite chapter!! Although I'm sad that they've changed some things, especially the battle. It was more horrifying in the novel, more war-like. There was a lot of action too with Violet's arrival with Witchcraft. It's also sad that we don't get to know Aidan's background (the fact he wanted to be a baseball player, his relationship with Yale...)
But I really enjoyed this episode. It was beautiful and moving, especially the part when Aidan conveys his words for the letters while he's slowly dying, and when Violet comes to see his parents and Maria.

Mar 22, 2018 4:19 AM

Jan 2017
Major_Gilbert said:

This what almost made me cry in the novel.

Good to see this chapter adapted and they did it justice.

Major_Gilbert said:

That's what I noticed too. I wonder if she'll cry again in the next episodes.

SalmonSandwich said:

Mar 22, 2018 4:31 AM
Mar 2015
And I teared, yeah. Don't need to say anything else.
Mar 22, 2018 4:31 AM

Jan 2016
Funny thing is that even if they're forcing this down on us, it's incredibly sad. I have cried once because of an anime, and I was surprisingly close to crying again in this episode.

It didn't feel rushed to me, I instead think it was brilliantly paced. There are several heartbreaking things about this episode.
First, of the feeling of dying without anyone, you're close to being there with you, is probably an extremely lonely way to die. I say probably cause I ain't dead yet so I can't say this with certainty.
Secondly, Violet doing her best to fulfill his dying wishes but still feeling powerless in this situation because he's dying right before her eyes and she can't do anything to prevent that.

Violet is used to war, but the current Violet could see war again with new and open eyes, as opposed to before. Also, the ending sucker punched me when they were thanking her.
Mar 22, 2018 4:44 AM

Dec 2016
No surprise Violet took that job, see her back in a couple of weeks then.

My first thought was I wonder if any of the enemy will recognize her from the past and the answer yes indeed yes, she arrived at a good time though, saved Aiden's life.

That was awesome how she jumped out like that and made quick work of those soldiers.

didn't think he was going to last but he got the letters to Maria & his family.

These episodes get more emotional and more powerful each week & Violet is growing more and more as a person.
Mar 22, 2018 5:29 AM
Dec 2017
Not as good as EP10, but still better than pre-7 episodes.
Mar 22, 2018 5:41 AM

Jan 2017
I gotta stop watching this, but I can't
I'm an emotional wreck right about now... This anime and its feels are going too far
I didn't want Aidan to die, he had much to live for

I'm hating the fact there there's constant inaudible scenes, why won't they let us know what is being said 😭😭

P.S.
Throughout this episode I was blubbering with snot coming out of my nose. That's probably 'cause I had the sniffles. Nonetheless, this episode gradually became too intense

Dammit, why do they do this?!😭😭😬
Mar 22, 2018 6:16 AM

Mar 2009
I must be sensitive when it comes to war because this is the first time I cried watching this anime and I cried like a little bitch.
Mar 22, 2018 6:23 AM

Mar 2016
I feel an emotionally sharp pain in my chest every time Violet starts crying....man, she finally broke down in front of the clients themselves...that cruel reality of war and rush of emotions was just too much for anyone or anything to handle
Mar 22, 2018 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
So after multiple somewhat happy letter Violet now understands what family members go through all the time when it comes to war. I liked her reaction when they thanked her for bringing their son "home" I feel like Violet learned that having some confirmation is better then having none at all.

Which she can relate too especially when it comes to Gilbert.

Really heartfelt episode.

Ryuseishun said:
I feel an emotionally sharp pain in my chest every time Violet starts crying....man, she finally broke down in front of the clients themselves...that cruel reality of war and rush of emotions was just too much for anyone or anything to handle

Dude...I get that same pain. You can definitely feel for this girl.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 22, 2018 6:40 AM

Feb 2014
I feel pretty drained now. Not long after Sora Yori's 12th episode broke my heart, this episode of Violet Evergarden comes along and hits my weakened heart with the feels train again. T_T

The cruelness of war, even a civil one, was shown really well, with Aiden lucky enough to be the sole survivor of that battalion of Camp Menace, but the way Violet dropped out of the plane, landed, avoided the gunshots and took out the enemy soldiers without any weapons was not only epic, but beautifully animated too.

The whole scene with Violet and Aiden in the log cabin was really depressing. He knows that he's dying and was able to tell Violet the words he wanted to say to his parents and the love of his life, Maria.

It was nice of Violet to give him a proper burial, but the feels wasn't done though. When Violet came to give the letters to Aiden's parents and Maria, they also learn about his sad death and I couldn't help but shed tears again, especially when Aiden's mother thanked Violet, along with Maria. Violet's response was heartbreaking, wishing that she could've done more to save Aiden, but the reality is that it was too late for her by the time she came to save him. D=

The last three episodes have been really emotional and also heartbreaking, but also beautifully directed as well. Excellent episode overall. =)
Mar 22, 2018 6:46 AM

Dec 2014
Violet is such a powerful character...now that was really something ...each episode is so impact worthy.... last episode to go
Mar 22, 2018 7:26 AM

Sep 2016
This was so relatable to people who have served in the army :'(

I didn't expect Violet to cry as well. That ending was so sad :'(
Mar 22, 2018 7:30 AM

Sep 2013
The reality of war and all the lost hopes and dreams but people still love to war :'(
Violet getting thanks even for bring death news.
Mar 22, 2018 7:32 AM

Jul 2015
Not as good as last episode. Maybe because the shounen way to find her custumer and save it. It was too unrealistic.

Mar 22, 2018 7:48 AM

Nov 2016
Another incredible heart breaking episode :'(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 22, 2018 8:08 AM

Jul 2016
this made me cry as usual but not as much I liked how the boy is a solder like Violet and I kinda understand why they had to kill him but they didn't give us enough time to get attached to him like half the time he was on screen I couldn't tell which one of them he was
Mar 22, 2018 8:44 AM
Sep 2017
Not as great as the previous episodes, but still quite sad. I hope the coming episodes are a lot better
Mar 22, 2018 8:46 AM

Jun 2015
This was a sad episode. Violet did her best to comfort the farmboy by writing letters to his family and the girl he likes.
Mar 22, 2018 8:55 AM

Jan 2014
damn it, episode after episode, it's all filled with sadness.
Mar 22, 2018 9:02 AM

Jun 2016
Finished watching it a few minutes ago and now I'm still crying what the hell ;;;;
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.